TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #721
brian1269
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattont
I know one thing as many times as I have called these ******s I should be getting free service. You guys don't even wanna hear what kindof hell I have had with autopay and these we are cutting off your service phone calls I have gotten.. I am poster child for the "charter f'ups" that they wanna keep quiet :-)
Wow, sounds like you have had some of the same problems I've had. I moved recently and instead of transfering service, they set up a new acount and were double billing me, then autopay wouldn't work and they charged me late fees, got the phone calls, etc.

I've got I think the fifth tech coming out today to try and get the cable card working. They swear it is paired correctly, but TiVo tells me there's no way it can be if it says "waiting for CP auth."
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #722
aenima99x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269
Wow, sounds like you have had some of the same problems I've had. I moved recently and instead of transfering service, they set up a new acount and were double billing me, then autopay wouldn't work and they charged me late fees, got the phone calls, etc.

I've got I think the fifth tech coming out today to try and get the cable card working. They swear it is paired correctly, but TiVo tells me there's no way it can be if it says "waiting for CP auth."
I feel your pain, I have a tech out here right now to try and fix my issues -1st card "waiitng for CP Auth", 2nd card is ok, but BOTH cards are missing 1/2 of my HD tier :sigh: and of course the tech here is not a Charter employee so he can't do cable cards...why would they send a tech out that can't do cable cards knowing my call is strictly cable card issues......
aenima99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #723
saintpaulpuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
I apologize if this has already been beaten to death on this thread.

I have had a Series 3 for about 11 months. The one thing that has always bothered me is the slow response times in certain instances. When channel surfing, I find that my screen can go blank for several seconds (especially bad when going from a cable channel to an antenna channel) before the image is restored. I also notice delayed response times when navigating through the TiVo menu or going from Live TV or a recording to the TiVo menu, often times included the slow response time is flickering of the picture for a couple of seconds.

Is this normal? Should I just accept this and forget about it? Or, should I take it up with TiVo or the retailer that I purchased it, I did but the extended warranty from BB.
saintpaulpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #724
hank12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenima99x
I feel your pain, I have a tech out here right now to try and fix my issues -1st card "waiitng for CP Auth", 2nd card is ok, but BOTH cards are missing 1/2 of my HD tier :sigh: and of course the tech here is not a Charter employee so he can't do cable cards...why would they send a tech out that can't do cable cards knowing my call is strictly cable card issues......
I had a similar issue whit my charter install.... could not receive any of the HD channels on card 1... I was able to get into a live chat on the charter website-- tell the first level tech that you have a cable card problem, and ask to be transferred to the "video department"

Ask the person in the video dpt. to hit your card again-- don't even mention that it's an a TiVo, that will confuse them, they don't need that information....

You will prob. want to have the card SN, mac address, and all the other info you get from the cable card screen handy, however, they just needed my phone # and last four numbers of my SSN, and they re-hit both cards, and everything was working in a matter of minutes...

Hope that helps!

PS
Giving credit where credit is due, I received this advice from another forum poster, rainwater... Thanks again, rainwater!

Last edited by hank12345 : 08-07-2007 at 02:09 PM.
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #725
aenima99x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
I had a similar issue whit my charter install.... could not receive any of the HD channels on card 1... I was able to get into a live chat on the charter website-- tell the first level tech that you have a cable card problem, and ask to be transferred to the "video department"

Ask the person in the video dpt. to hit your card again-- don't even mention that it's an a TiVo, that will confuse them, they don't need that information....

You will prob. want to have the card SN, mac address, and all the other info you get from the cable card screen handy, however, they just needed my phone # and last four numbers of my SSN, and they re-hit both cards, and everything was working in a matter of minutes...

Hope that helps!
Thanks, but I've already worked with the online techs 3 times and had both of my cards hit at least 5 times. BTW - the tech was able to get an actual charter tech to come out at some point today.....and then he proceeded to try and grill on why i was using a TiVo instead of a Charter DVR....I told him cuz Moxi sucks
aenima99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #726
aenima99x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Just had the Charter tech come out and he got it all working!!! Swapped out Card 1 and got it authorized and then made like 3 calls to get the HD tier issue resolved. I only had $5 on me to tip him, would have given him $20. if I had it. If anyone is in the Riverside,CA area using Charter ask for Nick Kacey. Sooooo freaking happy now. Now just have to see if the macroblocking is still bad.
aenima99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #727
TromboneKenny
Focused, yet blurry
 
TromboneKenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpaulpuck
I apologize if this has already been beaten to death on this thread.

I have had a Series 3 for about 11 months. The one thing that has always bothered me is the slow response times in certain instances. When channel surfing, I find that my screen can go blank for several seconds (especially bad when going from a cable channel to an antenna channel) before the image is restored. I also notice delayed response times when navigating through the TiVo menu or going from Live TV or a recording to the TiVo menu, often times included the slow response time is flickering of the picture for a couple of seconds.

Is this normal? Should I just accept this and forget about it? Or, should I take it up with TiVo or the retailer that I purchased it, I did but the extended warranty from BB.
I don't think that's a cablecard/Charter issue.

That sounds more like your TV switching between display modes (480i, 480p, 1080i). which would happen if your video output format settings were in hybrid mode. I changed mine to 1080i fixed a while ago and have been much happier.
__________________
TBK
60-hour Series2 - Sept 2002
300-hour Series3 (lifetime) - Dec 2006 (Comcast S-CableCards)
TiVo branded 20G iPod from referrals -- hard drive died
TromboneKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #728
brian1269
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 64
Pairing screen?

OK this seems to be the problem I and many others with Charter seem to be having. From TiVo's site: CableCARD is authorized to display the copy-protected channel, but the card is unpaired

To correct this, you need to contact your cable provider and give them the pairing information for your CableCARDs. To find pairing information, press CLEAR to exit the Conditional Access Screen and then select CableCARD Pairing from the CableCARD Menu.


I don't have a "CableCARD Pairing" option on the CableCARD menu. Anyone else not have a Cablecard pairing screen?
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #729
adwolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Charter problem..

Charter came out yesterday to install (2) SA cablecards into my Tivo HD.

I'm able to get all the unencrypted/analog channels (below 100) just fine, but oddly I only get a couple of digital channels (300 & 301, discovery) . The rest is just a blank grey screen.

The installer had never seen a Tivo before, so he was as in the dark as me.

Going thru tivo's troubleshooting instructions, i can see that the cards are paired & authorized, but the EMM count = 0. Any advice on how to proceed? The installer was going to call me back today, i'd hate to have another truck roll if I don't need to (ie, unless he's bringing me new cards, can't this all be resolved centrally?)

aw
adwolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #730
wtidmore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 11
Quote:
OK this seems to be the problem I and many others with Charter seem to be having. From TiVo's site: CableCARD is authorized to display the copy-protected channel, but the card is unpaired

To correct this, you need to contact your cable provider and give them the pairing information for your CableCARDs. To find pairing information, press CLEAR to exit the Conditional Access Screen and then select CableCARD Pairing from the CableCARD Menu.
I contacted Charter via chat and tried this line of thinking with them. The rep stated that if the cards were not paired I wouldn't be getting any channels, not just the one (BBCAmerica) that I am missing. She wouldn't humor me and check the pairing. She followed up by saying that it couldn't be a CableCARD problem. However, after sending a signal to the card with no good results, she (of course) wanted to send a tech out to address the CableCARD issue (!). I started to ask what the tech would be looking for and she disconnected the chat.

I'm starting to think I'll just have to live without BBCAmerica (I can still get it via converter box).
wtidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #731
aenima99x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwolf1
Charter came out yesterday to install (2) SA cablecards into my Tivo HD.

I'm able to get all the unencrypted/analog channels (below 100) just fine, but oddly I only get a couple of digital channels (300 & 301, discovery) . The rest is just a blank grey screen.

The installer had never seen a Tivo before, so he was as in the dark as me.

Going thru tivo's troubleshooting instructions, i can see that the cards are paired & authorized, but the EMM count = 0. Any advice on how to proceed? The installer was going to call me back today, i'd hate to have another truck roll if I don't need to (ie, unless he's bringing me new cards, can't this all be resolved centrally?)

aw
You can go the online chat route and have them hit your cards - that should resolve the EMM count being at 0. Also make sure they have you down for the correct packages that you subscribe to and if you do scubscribe to the HD tier, make sure they are giving you access to BOTH HD tiers.
aenima99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #732
pattont
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 34
MINE IS FIXED!!!!!!!


Alright, I called charter and asked them to verify my CC information. Well when I got the gentleman on the phone read him my mac ids and my hostids. Turns out the wrong mac id was on the wrong hostid. He said he would fix it and that it was definatly the problem I was excited.... Alright well he got his sup. to come and do all the overrides so that he could 'unpair' and then 're-pair' my cards. Well turns out he had me turn my S3 off cause it wouldn't let him do it while it was it ON. Well, he came back and said that he had a problem and that 2 other supervisors had joined him. He asked me if i was willing to do something that might fry my cards but it would probably fix it. He had me switch the cards from slot 1 to 2, and from 2 to 1 and then he sent an override re-pair signal to the cards. I checked the CP under cable cards diag screen and it said CP auth received... w00t.. He also said that if i wanted he would have someone bring me out an M-Card on Friday.. Will one card work on both tuners or is that issue still messed up?? I know that VOD doesn't work still but i am just worried this install with F up my other fix...

travis
pattont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #733
brian1269
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 64
Another tech just came out a while ago, the third one this week, and it took him about 5 minutes to fix the problem. The information on one of the cards was not entered correctly, he had them put it in right and it worked immediately. Now the card shows that it has received authorization, and all channels work perfectly on both cards. Unbelievable. The two other techs and the 10 or so support people I spoke with over the phone over several weeks had no clue what to do, even when I told them that I knew the card was good but had not been paired correctly at the headend. I'm convinced that 99% if problems people are having with cards are because Charter has not set them up properly.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #734
adwolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenima99x
You can go the online chat route and have them hit your cards - that should resolve the EMM count being at 0. Also make sure they have you down for the correct packages that you subscribe to and if you do scubscribe to the HD tier, make sure they are giving you access to BOTH HD tiers.
My problem was escalated, they found the right guy who knew exactly what commands to issue to the cards & now they work perfectly.

I suspect charter could save themselves lots of money and aggravation if they just let users install the cards themselves & then call central directly to get the cards provisioned. But what do i know...
adwolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #735
CharlesH
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Milpitas (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattont
Well turns out he had me turn my S3 off cause it wouldn't let him do it while it was it ON.
How is the system going to know the S3, a receive-only device, is on?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #736
pattont
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 34
I dunno... for some reason he couldn't unpair my device while it was on.. I know it sounds stupid but he said he tried multiple times.. I guess its a safety feature inside their system. It may see that my cards are online and in use and not let them overwrite them while they are active.... who knows... i just followed directions because this guy seemed to know what he was talking about..
pattont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #737
brian1269
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwolf1
My problem was escalated, they found the right guy who knew exactly what commands to issue to the cards & now they work perfectly.

I suspect charter could save themselves lots of money and aggravation if they just let users install the cards themselves & then call central directly to get the cards provisioned. But what do i know...
Here's what Charter states on its site:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the technical complexity associated with pairing of the devices, all installations of a CableCARD MUST be completed by a technician.
Self installation of CableCARDs is NOT an option for customers and thus customers cannot pick up a CableCARD from a local office.

Yeah right, what a joke. I would have been much better off if I could have installed them myself, since Charter screwed up the install in the first place and it took them two months to finally figure out that information had been initially entered incorrectly.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #738
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005
 
Toeside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,382
I had my install today. Four cable cards (Motorola) were installed in an Original Series3 and a TiVo HD.

I had the following work done:
New service installation, cable modem installing, and the 4 cable cards.

Total time, about 90 minutes.

NO PROBLEMS at all.


The installer had done only one other TiVo before, it was "about 2 weeks ago" he said. It was a TiVo HD. That one went OK, too, he said.

He said it's all about who he gets in on the other side when entering the numbers. He said the girl working our call is one of his favorites because she knows what she's doing.
__________________
Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini x2
Toeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #739
TNCharterVictim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, Tn.
Posts: 1
Thumbs down Gaffed by Charter Communications

Unfortunately Charter doesn't even do what is required of them, never mind support any equipment is that is not their own! I would like to have Tivo, but I can't even get past fuzzy channels & constant Internet problems with Charter.

I have now had to contact an attorney. Basically as a
customer I am caught in the middle of a contractual dispute between My apartment complex & Charter. Charter is demanding that The Villages Apartments sign an exclusive I.P. (Internet Phone service) agreement with Charter before they will fix or replace any of the bad lines in the complex. This of course is wrong,
because the bad lines are already effecting services that they are currently
providing, & taking consumer's money for. me included. I have been suffering
this for two years, & every attempt I've made to solve this amicably has failed.
I have been told twice by Charter representitives that "if you don't like it,
you should get another service." Of course I can't get high speed cable from
anyone else, because they (Charter) have monopolized it in this area. Our
television service is also sub standard quality.

Additionally a friend of mine who is a Charter technician (as well as
several other Charter techs) told me that the truth is that some of our problems
are due to a crumbling Cable infrastructure in Spring Hill, TN. that is not able to
keep up with the demands of all the new developments. As a result, line
techinicans are throwing together shoddy line/infrastructural extensions that
are not properly designed or implimented, so as to avoid losing revenue that
these new developments have to offer.

As a result, people all over the city are being affected by problems in
the system's operating voltages, called (Line attenuation). This basically means
that the bad legs of the infrastructure are causing voltage fluctuation all
over, much like what happens in a power grid that fails & switches over to
alternate routes, causing brown outs.. The end result, is that Spring Hill
customers in some parts of the city are having their money gladly taken by
Charter every month, but are being forced to endure poor service, or "move if
they don't like it". This is not good for the city of Spring Hill. If the people at Charter had any sense they'd realize it's not good for them either!
TNCharterVictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #740
hank12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 91
Anyone else in the Worcester MA area lose the following channels tonight?

775 Discovery HD Theater
795 Universal HD
797 TNT - HD
798 MHD

I still get ESPN HD & ESPN2 HD, (same tier as the missing channels) as well as my local and premium HD channels... I received all of em' until today.... Weird...

FYI-
TiVo HD with 2 SA cable cards, both missing the channels....

Thanks
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #741
jdmass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Westborough, MA
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
Anyone else in the Worcester MA area lose the following channels tonight?

775 Discovery HD Theater
795 Universal HD
797 TNT - HD
798 MHD

I still get ESPN HD & ESPN2 HD, (same tier as the missing channels) as well as my local and premium HD channels... I received all of em' until today.... Weird...

FYI-
TiVo HD with 2 SA cable cards, both missing the channels....

Thanks
Just checked and they seem to be coming in fine on my Tivo Series 3 in Westborough.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #742
hank12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass
Just checked and they seem to be coming in fine on my Tivo Series 3 in Westborough.
Thanks for checking....

According to the Charter rep I spoke with, I don't subscribe to those channels-- despite the fact I pay for them, and have been receiving them with no issues (aside for the TiVO HD macroblocking issue) for the last few weeks.... and still receive some of the other channels in the tier... I also noticed I'm missing my movie tier, but still receive Showtime HD.... Then they had the nerve to try to sell me their phone service....

Looks like I need to swap out the cards?

This, on top of the TiVo HD macroblocking issue is very frustrating--- I LOVE my TiVo's but I don't have the time or energy to troubleshoot, or wait around for Charter techs who know less than I do about the problem....

I guess I'll try one more time to get tings working before my 30 day return window closes, and I have to go back to DirecTV...

I hope this works out-- I'd prefer to stay with TiVo.
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #743
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
Thanks for checking....

According to the Charter rep I spoke with, I don't subscribe to those channels-- despite the fact I pay for them, and have been receiving them with no issues (aside for the TiVO HD macroblocking issue) for the last few weeks.... and still receive some of the other channels in the tier... I also noticed I'm missing my movie tier, but still receive Showtime HD.... Then they had the nerve to try to sell me their phone service....

Looks like I need to swap out the cards?
No, if you are getting any channels, there's nothing wrong with the cards. Based on the rep's comment, it certainly sounds like an authorization problem on their end.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #744
hank12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
No, if you are getting any channels, there's nothing wrong with the cards. Based on the rep's comment, it certainly sounds like an authorization problem on their end.
Interesting--

So they can turn off particular channels in the same tier?

I had the re-hit the card a couple of times last night via online chat with no luck. This morning I called in and "the computers are down, pleas call back in an hour"

I'll try again.

Thanks
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #745
hank12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
No, if you are getting any channels, there's nothing wrong with the cards. Based on the rep's comment, it certainly sounds like an authorization problem on their end.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge jfh3!

apparently they did have the wrong info in my account... a very nice CSR named Billie was able to (re)add the tiers and everything seems to be working now....

Strange that it worked up until now-- I wonder if I will get hit with multiple upgrade fees on my next bill...

As long as the cable cards aren't going to go wonky every other week, I feel pretty good about waiting out the TiVo HD macroblocking issues...

Thanks again, and to all who are willing to help on this forum!
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #746
stlbluenote13
Registered User
 
stlbluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2
Charter and Cable Cards - St. Louis

I just had Charter install two cable cards for my Tivo 3 and it works great. However, some CSRs don't know about the Tivo and will tell you that they don't support them for Tivo(that's rubbish). Unfortunately, you just have to keep calling them back until one does. I specified that the tech should know Tivo and the one they sent stated that he installed several in the St. Louis area...
stlbluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #747
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005
 
Toeside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluenote13
I just had Charter install two cable cards for my Tivo 3 and it works great. However, some CSRs don't know about the Tivo and will tell you that they don't support them for Tivo(that's rubbish). Unfortunately, you just have to keep calling them back until one does. I specified that the tech should know Tivo and the one they sent stated that he installed several in the St. Louis area...
Who was your installer? (I'm assuming you are in STL based on your username.) I can't remember the name of mine, but he did a great job even with only having one under his belt. My install gave him 2 more.


I think a lot of the success, though, depends on the person on the other end of the Nextel. The installer said the person he had on the other side was "the best" he's worked with.
__________________
Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini x2
Toeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #748
marcsorel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Is there a way to request a specific installer? I'm in Saint Louis also, and have had a tech in and out all day. The first time he just left the cards and said they'd be activated. He called me about 30 minutes later to say they were ready and to put them in... I did, and, big surprise, no dice.

He comes back a couple hours later and this time is on the phone with someone who wants things I've heard of like Host and Card ID #'s, so I'm encouraged, but both my tech and the person on the phone seem very unsure of what to do... after another half hour of this, the person on the phone says one of my cards is showing "pairing failed" and the other is "pair pending" The tech at my apartment took off to do another install, but said that things should be working soon. So far it's been about an hour and I've got nothing. What should I tell him when he comes back? What can I do at this point? Are my cards bad, or just the people?

Any advice would be appreciated.
marcsorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #749
mr_lala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5
I've finally gotten my cablecard setup working with Charter. What an ordeal.

I had a tech first show up last Saturday (August 18th). My appointment was for between 1-3 PM... At 3 PM, no tech, so I call up the Charter support line. I'm told the tech is running just a bit behind, but he'll call me within 15 minutes. At 4 PM, no tech, I again call, and again am told that the tech is running behind, and would definitely be at my house by 5 PM. The tech shows up at 7:30.

He walks to my door with a digital receiver. After an explanation and some confusion, he digs around in the back of his truck and finds a cablecard. Luck shines on me a little-- it's actually a m-card! The tech says he's never done a cablecard install. He doesn't know what a Tivo is.

Anyway, we slide the cablecard into the TiVo, and sit and look at it like two monkeys for a bit. He says the card is already activated (??), and everything should start working soon. He suggests I call the Charter 800# if it the additional channels don't show up in about 30 minutes. The guy smells like... honestly... like he's rolled around in dog crap, so I tell him OK and let him go.

Of course, the card wasn't activated (I didn't start researching this whole thing until around this time). I call up the Charter 800# around 8 that night. They apologize, and say the tech should have "burned" something into the cablecard, and they want to send out another tech.

At this point, I've had it. I tell them I can easily give them the numbers off the screen or whatever they need. They insist a tech must come out. OK, fine. They say they'll have "dispatch" call me that very evening to set up an appointment for the next morning.

I wait around all night, no call from dispatch. I call the next morning (Sunday), and am told that dispatch would be calling me "sometime today". Of course, no call. I call back again Sunday afternoon around 3 PM, and am told that dispatch was supposed to call me. The rep seems honestly surprised that no one had called me.

Of course, there are no appointments left for that day. There are no appointments available until the following Friday (today). So, I schedule an appointment for 10-12.

Today, the tech shows up promptly at 10 AM. It's another tech, and he seems to have a clue. He asks for the Tivo instructions, and mentions he's done a couple of these, and they're always problematic. He's also brought along a couple single stream cards, just in case.

We plug the card back in, he calls up someone in the office, and gives them the numbers off the card. Nothing happens at first. We reboot the Tivo, and it magically starts working. Hurrah!

So, put me into the camp of "after a heckuvla lot of trouble, it works" camp.
mr_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #750
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lala
He walks to my door with a digital receiver.
This happens because Charter customer service does not know the difference between a cable box and a cablecard. In a way that is a good thing because if you ever want to change your channel package there is usually little trouble because the rep doesn't know the difference. I think their computer system doesn't easily distinguish them so as to not to confuse the reps when they make changes to your account.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |