TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #691
kjmcdonald

My update.

It started off bad. It's better now. Not perfect though.

I started with a Sat. install, only 2 cable cards were brought to my house (I have 2 S3's - I asked for 4 cards,) then the head-end wasn't open on Sat. The Contract Installer took the CC's with him when he left.

I rescheduled for the next Friday, took 8-12 off from work and had no one show up.
I then rescheduled for Tues 11-1, and again no-show.

Finally yesterday, I had an appt. from 1-3, and a real Charter Employee showed up at 2pm, with all 4 cards. The first 2 worked fine in the first S3. The third card showed that it hadn't been programmed by Charter. The fourth card worked fin also.

We found that you can short cut the instructions somewhat. You can put in one card, wait for the MMI screen and copy the #'s, then put in the second card, wait for the MMI screen and copy the #'s, and then Call the head end with one call.

I wouldn't shove more than one card in at once or a second card before the MMI screen for the first card showed up though.

After the Headend call, eventually all 3 cards showed 'CP Auth recieved', and Test Channels showed all the channels I subscribe to - (which due to another problem with charter cust. serv. was only the HD Locals)

So I'm on the hook for rescheduling for the 4th cable card again, but it's good to know that the first 3 work good.

In my area in MA, Charter uses Scientific Atlanta (AKA Cisco) Cards. No M-Cards yet either. They're $1.50 each/month too, and $56 I think if you don't return them.

I didn't see any 161 errors either.

-Kyle
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #692
comquat1

just had a housecall by charter to put my two cable cards in and had one that was not recognized. He left me with one card installed so i finished installing that with no issues. The tech went and made a call that was missed, grabbed a couple more cards and came back and the first of the second cards we put in was recognized within a couple minutes. Right now i'm just doing the guided setup and so far everything appears normal. Good customer service here in West Michigan, that's for sure.
comquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #693
hank12345

Question for kjmcdonald

Hey kjmcdonald, may I ask where in Mass are you? I've been trying to decide if switching to Charter and the S3 from Directv is the right move, or more trouble than it's worth! I'm in Spencer, MA and have had a lot of issues with Charter service-- Mainly sporadic high speed internet outages--- but the service has been pretty good over the last year....

The idea of even more issues when trying to setup the S3 would push me over the edge!
It seems that your Techs seemed to have an idea of what they were doing, so maybe I'd be OK?

Thanks for any help or info!

Last edited by hank12345 : 06-30-2007 at 05:18 PM.
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #694
kjmcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
Hey kjmcdonald, may I ask where in Mass are you? I've been trying to decide if switching to Charter and the S3 from Directv is the right move, or more trouble than it's worth! I'm in Spencer, MA and have had a lot of issues with Charter service-- Mainly sporadic high speed internet outages--- but the service has been pretty good over the last year....

The idea of even more issues when trying to setup the S3 would push me over the edge!
It seems that your Techs seemed to have an idea of what they were doing, so maybe I'd be OK?

Thanks for any help or info!
The Techs were good in that they were willing to read the Tivo instructions. The first didn't get far because the HeadEnd that they need to give the numbers to is closed on Sat when I had my first appt. On the last appt. the guy was very willing to work with me, and although he admitted he hadn't done any CC installs really.

We had good luck, with 3 out of 4 cards working right away. The fourth appeared not to be loaded with any info by the headend before it was given to the installer.
I have an appt this week to get a new fouth card.

Once the cards were in, and sent the activation signal they worked very well - All the 'raw' (74-3, 82-1, etc) that I found on the chanel scan that tivo didn't know what to do with, all of a sudden mapped to digital cable channels (101, 102, 201, etc.)

The only other issue I"m waiting to have resolved, is that the original person I ordered service from thought that with Cable Cards, I couldn't get anything higher than expanded analog basic. I recently straightened that out, and added the Total View Digital Pkg. which should complete what I'm looking for when it activates on Soon.

Compared to all the other stories I've heard here (and ignoring the 2 no-show appointments,) My experience with the charter techs has been good. Given there really isn't any choice here in Uxbridge (until FiOS gets here,) I'm glad I'm as happy as I am. So far Charter seems cheaper than ComCast too.

-Kyle
Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #695
hank12345

Kyle,

Yeah, once you get through the customer service phone quagmire, the techs have been pretty easy to deal with in my experience... Glad to hear that they were willing to follow instructions! As I'm only looking for expanded basic right now, (and HD package) my biggest fear was they would be unable or unwilling to get the cards working at all!

I have Thursday-Friday off this week, so I may take the plunge and get the S3.... If I do, I'll post my results-- but I may hold out for a rebate offer or lower price from Tivo, as it looks like I just missed the most recent deal : (

-Hank
Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #696
tim1724

less trouble than I expected

My cablecard experience with Charter Communications of Alhambra, CA. (I'm in Temple City, CA.)

Early last week I called Charter to get my cablecards. I just said I wanted two cablecards. I didn't mention Tivo, because others have had problems if they did. The customer service rep (who was amazingly slow.. it took a good 10 minutes, and I don't think I said more than 5 sentences total in the whole call) didn't ask. She said they'd send someone out on Friday between 8 and 10.

Well, at around 9 on Friday, they did show up, with two cablecards. But then the guy said "hey, we don't do tivo. charter isn't supposed to send us out on these jobs, we just put in cable boxes." Apparently if I'd mentioned Tivo, they would have sent a Charter employee rather than a subcontractor.

I got him to put in the first card anyway, and the screen with the card info popped up fine. I suggested that he call in the info to Charter. Well, at this point he sort of looked confused and then freaked out and began ranting about how charter only pays him $5/install (he'd get $10 for mine, since there were two cablecards) so he didn't want to do it. He spent a half hour calling his supervisor, waiting for his supervisor to call him back, etc. Then he said charter would send out an actual charter employee on monday or tuesday, rather than a subcontractor. Then he took the cablecard out of the tivo and left.

His reason for not doing the install was that it would take too much time.. but he wasted more time just sitting there complaining to his supervisor than it would have taken to just put the other card in the tivo, and make the necessary calls to activate them.

Now I have to admit, the $5/card they were paying him seems a bit low (especially given that Charter is billing me $44.95 for the installation) but why did he accept the job if he wasn't going to do it? From the way he did things, I got the impression that this might not have been the real reason. I think he might have been illiterate. He first got upset when I suggested that he needed to read the numbers off the screen to the Charter people on the phone, and then when I handed him tivo's cablecard installation instructions, he held it upside down for 30 seconds while "reading" it..

Anyway, Charter did send someone out on Monday, who installed the cards with no real problem. I wasn't home, but my girlfriend was able to help him when he got stuck.

Anyway, the cards work great. No errors, no hassle getting all the channels recognized. HD works, I get HBO, etc. They seem to have things figured out, but their subcontractors don't have a clue. Apparently it's best to let them know you have a Tivo (at least in this area), so they send out a Charter employee rather than a subcontractor.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #697
pattont

Alright, first off I live in Johnson City, TN....

I bought my S3 a week ago and I still haven't gotten it, but i figured last week I would go ahead and order the CC(s) to get them instock at the local place. Called the Charter 800 number and got a guy that said that was no problem that he would put two cable cards onto my account and it be an extra 3 bucks per month, I said great. I also asked if they had to be installed and he said no that I could pick them up if I wanted to. I said well yes I would love to do that :-) So far so good.

I started up a chat session for an un-related issue about 3 days after this phone conversation and happen to mention checking the status of the cable cards and she said that I had been setup for delivery on July 12th, I was like WTF I don't want that I want to come pick them up. So after about 10 minutes of explaining she finally said that it would be fine if I came and picked the cards up at the local store which is 100yrds from where I live.

So, today 7/9 I go and try to pick up these diamonds that they so preciously guard with their lives. The woman at the counter said, "we can't do that, you have to have them installed"........ Needless to say I was very pissed off, so I asked to speak to someone in management. I met this guy and he went through the spill that she had just given me and I kindly explained to him that it wasn't going into a TV that it was infact going into a Tivo and he said, "whats a tivo".... At this point I knew I was doomed...

So he goes and talks to his techs for a minute and he came back and said that they do indeed need to be professionally installed, and I reassured him (seeing as I am starting on my MS in Computer Science in the fall) that I could handle the CC install. He said it would be fine but he needed to check a few things and he would call me. So I left hoping he would call and about 2 hours later he did and said that it would be installed on the 12th and it would cost $34.99 which was a crock of sh*t and I told him that was unacceptable so he said well let me check a couple of more options and I will call you back. Couple more hours went by and he called back with the same response... GRRRRRR

So I offered to bring my S3 down to the charter office as sort of a "Learning Experience" for their techs to get a chance to see the S3 and the setup and so that I didn't have to pay for the install and he agreed. I pick up my S3 tommorrow night late and will be going down about 8am EST on Wed. to do this install... Wish me luck :-)

I will be connecting the S3 at home first to the internet and going through the first setups and getting the latest versions on there before I go down there. Also, the gentleman kept asking me the version # of CC that I needed and I just kept telling him the 2007 version because I wasn't sure about that, anyone know which version I need??

Travis
pattont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #698
pattont

Ok... Heres the update from my previous post...

I took my box down to Charter @ about 7:45am and we put the cards in as instructed got them activated with service and finally card 1 got some channels, but not all of them. Card 2 had nothing.... Turns out card 2 (top) was bad and they replaced that.. After about 3 hours I spent down there my tivo started getting the channels I had purchased.

I came home and shortly started watching some of my HD premiums (hbo, starz, cinemax) turns out 779 or CinemaxHD comes on for about 3 seconds and then goes to the cableCARD diag screen and then goes black.. I have no idea what its doing this for, it did it on one other channel and on both tuners. I just got off the phone with charter and they said they would send a signal to my cards to fix the issue, we will see.... So there you have it.. It works i didn't pay for the install but it took FOREVER to get this worked out..

Travis
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #699
kjmcdonald

My Continuing Saga...

Ok, well on Monday I got the 4th card installed (I have 2 S3's, and the last time a tech came out he brought 4 cards but 1 wasn't initialized properly at the head end before it was given out.) The installers (2 - One got pulled in from another area to help out the second) arrived at almost 1 for an 8am-12noon appt. window.

It went in, and the screen popped up showing it installed. We were able to get the Card and Host ID, but soon the card decided it needed to upgrade the firmware. I got a little worried then, first because none of the other 3 needed that, second because reading here I've heard that that doesn't always work, and third because I know it can take forever, and I didn't want the guys on the call to give up.

The upgrade completed in 5-10 minutes and we started checking channels. I got all the digital and HD 'lifeline' channels, but none of the 'Total View' package that was supposed to be activated at the same time as the 4th card.

The techs were professional. Though the local one seemed clueless about technology in general (asked the other tech what kind of signal was on the coax going into the Tivo? was it the internet?) and the Senior guy was a snobby when I showed him the sheet from Tivo. Though he did say he had done several Tivo S3's before. When he arrived he seemed put off that he had been pulled in on this job, and didn't really show the other tech what to do, instead he did it, and kinda explained it along the way, but he glossed over a bunch of stuff, and seemed in a hurry.

They hung out a few minutes waiting to see if the channels came in, but they never did. I didn't want them to decide the card didn't work, or blmae the tivo - I was positive that the problem was all in the provisioning computer system at Charter, so I told them to go, and I'd wait and call in if it didn't work.

It didn't work even today Wednesday, but I didn't get a chance to check or call in till today ( due to bringing home a new baby daughter on Sunday ) so when I called in today I first found out that the work order was still open and the programming change wouldn't happen till it was closed.

I waited on hold while they closed it out and got me to a supervisor. I was testing channels on the newest card, and nothing they did was working. She went to put me on hold, and disconnected me instead. I took the chance to check the other 3 cards. Whatever she did enabled the package on those 3 but not the 4th. I called back in, and they wanted to setup a service call to look at card 4, I told them I'd wait overnight and call back if it didn't work.

After that I noticed that even on the 3 "working" cards I was missing channels 300, and 301. When I called back again, they wanted to go the service tech route. So I have an appt. tomorrow.

By the time this install is done it's going to be a month and 6 service calls (2 of which were no-shows ) Overall the Tivo's have worked flawlessly, it's been all screw-ups on charter's end.

Overall I'm happy with the signal and picture and I'm very happy with the Tivo.
It's all the different stories at Charter, and the right hand not talking to the left that has bothered me. Total communication breakdown inside that company.

EDIT:

Well yesterday they sent out another tech, who admitted right away he knew nothing about CableCARDS. I explaned what I was seeing, and he aggreed though that it was probably a problem with the 'codes'. So he got on the phone with dispatch, and after several tries, they got the 4th card behaving just like the other 3 which was my big concern. Then After getting the head-end involved, and over an hour waiting and chatting with the tech, they even found the problem with the 2 channels that were missing on all 4 cards. So I'm finally good!

Now, about a month after my install I get to call in and get a 1 month credit. Between that, and the 4 truck rolls (which the last tech said cost them on average $110 - mine were probably more since they were here longer,) and the 12 month discount I have, I'd woudn't be surprised if charter ends up only breaking even on me as a cable customer.

-Kyle

Last edited by kjmcdonald : 07-13-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #700
pattont

I have mine working perfectly except I am missing channels:
779 - Cinemax HD
522 - More MAX
191 - ABC News Now
776 - ESPN2 HD

When I click on these channels I get video for about 3 seconds and then the cableCARD diag screen pops up randomly and if i click "clear to exit" it exits, but I get no video. I have become friends with the Charter Tech and have a person number to call him and get stuff done to this box. He is going to call me in the morning to fix this issue. I have already tried to call the normal techs to "reset" the cable cards whatever that means, but it still doesn't work...

My cards still say... "Waiting for CP Auth" in the CP diag screen inside CableCARD configuration, but I get all my channels fine except for these 4... Dunno whats going on.. I am going to repost this on the main board to see if anyone has heard of this..

Travis
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #701
TracySMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattont

My cards still say... "Waiting for CP Auth" in the CP diag screen inside CableCARD configuration, but I get all my channels fine except for these 4... Dunno whats going on.. I am going to repost this on the main board to see if anyone has heard of this..

Travis
Definitely sounds like a bad Cable Card. I know these things can be frustrating. I live just down the road from you, close to Kingsport. I wasn't given the option of self-install. The installer was super-nice, though, and very patient. He was here over three hours before we got everything up and running.

Next, you'll want to get an eSata external drive to expand your space. Stay away from the Cavalry drives. I went through two of those before getting the Seagate DB35/Antec MX-1 combo everyone here loves. Four days counting and no errors or GSOD's!

We're up to 16 HD channels now with our Charter package.
TracySMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #702
mrlopez8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
I cannot believe the load of BS that Charter is giving you. Seeing how much trouble you are getting from them is also making me worry about my install on Friday. Hopefully the Alhambra office will be better. Don't know...

Anyone else have Charter and has had their CCs work on their Tivos?

I have Charter in St. Louis, MO and the cablecards work perfectly!
mrlopez8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #703
joe warner

Quote:
I have mine working perfectly except I am missing channels:
779 - Cinemax HD
522 - More MAX
191 - ABC News Now
776 - ESPN2 HD

When I click on these channels I get video for about 3 seconds and then the cableCARD diag screen pops up randomly and if i click "clear to exit" it exits, but I get no video. I have become friends with the Charter Tech and have a person number to call him and get stuff done to this box. He is going to call me in the morning to fix this issue. I have already tried to call the normal techs to "reset" the cable cards whatever that means, but it still doesn't work...

Travis
I had the same problem. The cable card(s) were good it was the info in my account or the way they were setting up the cable card was the problem, I finally called the Charter person that inputs the info (this number was left on my phone after the Charter installer called to give them the Card and Host ID info). It took several calls before I reached a person who inputted the correct info. Not sure what this person actually did, but when he was done my Cable Card CP screen read "CP Auth Received", and the Cable Card/Host ID screen read " Authorization Received". I went for months with this "Waiting for CP Auth". I was able to ge all my basic and premium channels. What would periodically happen was the Cable Card screen would come up randomly and would show "Waiting for CP Auth". I would press clear and everything would continue normally. Any way my problem wass NOT the CABLE CARDS but the Head end at Charter as to my account info.
joe warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #704
MasterCephus

So one of my CableCards wouldn't show my HD channels at all. So I thought I would call Tivo to figure out which cablecard it was so I could call Charter.

So I wait a little bit (like 30 minutes), and the lady not only helped me figure out exactly what the problem was, she set up a 3 way call and explained to the charter tech the exact problem.

They are sending someone out today to fix the problem, and the tivo lady gave me a phone number that goes straight to a Tivo CableCard tech to help the charter technician fix my problem.

Gosh I love Tivo!
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #705
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

I've been using my S3 OTA only for about 5 months. We are moving and I have Charter scheduled for an install on 8/11. I hope it goes well.

I would have stayed away from Charter but since the Blues signed Kariya, I have to watch the games more often than I can attend.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #706
pattont

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe warner
I had the same problem. The cable card(s) were good it was the info in my account or the way they were setting up the cable card was the problem, I finally called the Charter person that inputs the info (this number was left on my phone after the Charter installer called to give them the Card and Host ID info). It took several calls before I reached a person who inputted the correct info. Not sure what this person actually did, but when he was done my Cable Card CP screen read "CP Auth Received", and the Cable Card/Host ID screen read " Authorization Received". I went for months with this "Waiting for CP Auth". I was able to ge all my basic and premium channels. What would periodically happen was the Cable Card screen would come up randomly and would show "Waiting for CP Auth". I would press clear and everything would continue normally. Any way my problem wass NOT the CABLE CARDS but the Head end at Charter as to my account info.

The charter guy is set to come to my place tommorrow. He has assured me they have inputted my information several times and re autorized my cards, but I just don't care anymore. They are coming to my house tommorrow to give me two new cards and they aren't leaving till it says authorization received. Thanks for the tip though, glad I saw this post before the dude came.

Travis
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #707
pattont

http://customersupport.tivo.com/TiVo...tent.html#SATS

very interesting page.. Just found this... the cable guy is here now :-) working on it!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #708
Globular
No time to hack

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe warner
I'm having the same issue with these idiots. Two techs came to install the cards yesterday morning (one was a former Comcast guy "in training") and they got the cards activated but were told they didn't need to do anything with the Host ID. Test channels showed my premium HD channels OK, so they left. Well, immediately after that I started getting the "Call your cable provider" screen with the host ID when I switched to some of the encrypted ones, particularly Cinemax HD and Discovery HD. So I called and said I needed to get the cards "paired", which I learned from this forum is what was needed. They had no idea. "We don't support TiVo", "I know, but you support CableCARDs.", etc. etc.

I called TiVo and immediately got Kimberly in the CC group, who called Charter for me and was super helpful and patient as we escalated to a supervisor, and then a manager who wouldn't transfer us to the dispatcher, the people that the techs call to activate a card. Hours later all I got was ANOTHER appointment for tech(s) to come out later today! Ugh, more time off work ( my boss doesn't know yet ). I do have the TiVo direct line for the CableCARD group with a case ID to have the Charter people call and get this going. We'll see what happens today.

This is pathetic.
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #709
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

I wish I wasn't reading these posts. I've been so happy with my S3 OTA only for 6 months. On 8/11, I'll deal with the cablecard install. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #710
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

What brand CableCards does Charter use in the STL area?

There seems to be issues with Scientific Atlanta cards in the TiVo HD. I have a S3, but plan on buying a TiVo HD soon--perhaps before my 8/11 install.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #711
Globular
No time to hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular
I'm having the same issue with these idiots. Two techs came to install the cards yesterday morning (one was a former Comcast guy "in training") and they got the cards activated but were told they didn't need to do anything with the Host ID. Test channels showed my premium HD channels OK, so they left. Well, immediately after that I started getting the "Call your cable provider" screen with the host ID when I switched to some of the encrypted ones, particularly Cinemax HD and Discovery HD. So I called and said I needed to get the cards "paired", which I learned from this forum is what was needed. They had no idea. "We don't support TiVo", "I know, but you support CableCARDs.", etc. etc.

I called TiVo and immediately got Kimberly in the CC group, who called Charter for me and was super helpful and patient as we escalated to a supervisor, and then a manager who wouldn't transfer us to the dispatcher, the people that the techs call to activate a card. Hours later all I got was ANOTHER appointment for tech(s) to come out later today! Ugh, more time off work ( my boss doesn't know yet ). I do have the TiVo direct line for the CableCARD group with a case ID to have the Charter people call and get this going. We'll see what happens today.

This is pathetic.
Update: A local service guy came yesterday who knew what he was doing. He got the cards properly registered ("paired" in TiVo speak) with "dispatch" but I was still experiencing the Scientific Atlanta pixelation issues with the card in slot two. Word in another thread on this forum says that problem is fixed in an update to the TiVo software! I'm hoping my unit will update soon and all my problems will be solved. I'll report back.

When you get your cards, make sure your installer calls dispatch and registers the CableCARD IDs, HostIDs, and MAC addresses for both cards before he or she leaves. Tha MAC addresses are printed on the cards or are available on the CableCARD diag screen on the TiVo.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #712
rainwater

Quote:

This is pathetic.
If you get the CableCard IDs, Host IDs, and MAC addresses, you should be able to get them paired online with their online chat system. Just tell them to transfer you to the "Video" group when you get into the initial chat. Plus, this way there is less chance of transposing a number.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #713
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Looks like some new HD is rolling in for my area. They are adding ESPN2-HD, MOJO-HD, and A&E-HD, plus it looks like they are moving some analog to digital and then adding like 10-15 more digital channels (mostly faith channels though, ugh, although ESPN-U will be very welcome!) Hopefully the channel adds will go smooth, they should, as the last channel adds with cable cards went just fine.

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #714
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Update: A local service guy came yesterday who knew what he was doing. He got the cards properly registered ("paired" in TiVo speak) with "dispatch" but I was still experiencing the Scientific Atlanta pixelation issues with the card in slot two. Word in another thread on this forum says that problem is fixed in an update to the TiVo software! I'm hoping my unit will update soon and all my problems will be solved. I'll report back.

When you get your cards, make sure your installer calls dispatch and registers the CableCARD IDs, HostIDs, and MAC addresses for both cards before he or she leaves. Tha MAC addresses are printed on the cards or are available on the CableCARD diag screen on the TiVo.
You can force your Tivo to update, go into messages and settings and find the network settings, then tell it to "Connect to Tivo Now" it will check for updates, after it goes all through the process, you should be cable to check that same screen and where the "Status" is displayed, if it says "Pending Restart" you have the update and just need to restart the DVR. You can either unplug and plug it back in, or more elegantly go into messages and settings and at the bottom is the menu for restarting.

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #715
brian1269

Quote:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/TiVo...tent.html#SATS

very interesting page.. Just found this... the cable guy is here now :-) working on it!
Pattont,

You have to let me know what happens and if you get that issue resolved. I'm in Kingsport and have the exact same problem. They had to try multiple cards before getting anything to work. One of them works 100% and the other card is doing the exact same thing as yours. It says "waiting for CP auth" on the CP screen after Auth Status. The card that works 100% says "CP Auth Received."

It has been about two months since the cards were installed and I have just lived with it because I've been too busy to deal with them, but now I am going to get it fixed. I had a tech here yesterday and he had no clue what the problem could be. He says the card has been switched on by Charter, but obviously this is not the case or it would be working right. It brings up the screen that says "In order the start service... etc." on the same channels that you listed, plus there are a few more, like 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 and 312. I'm sure there are others, too.

Please post and let me know if you and the tech figured out what's wrong and how you solved it. Thanks.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #716
Globular
No time to hack

Quote:
The SW update didn't fix all of the pixellation and channel drop out problems. Since this is apparently a TiVo problem, I'm holding out hope that CHarter as done The Right Thing.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #717
hank12345

Well, Cable guy Finally shows up at 4:30 for a 11-1 appointment... As I open the door, the first words out of his mouth were "these cards aren't for a Tivo, are they?" Well, this is going to be fun I thought...

But actually, he was a really nice guy, and let me do most of the work.... Seemed pretty impressed by the Tivo HD....

Both card went through an initialization process, and he called them in....

Interestingly enough, I get all the channels I'm suppose to on card 2, but I'm missing the Hi def tier on card 1...

He tried to get the folks on the phone to hit the card again, but it was after 5 so no one was there.... Scheduled to come back out next week....

After seeing the post by pattont, I'm wondering if the cards aren't paired properly...

All in all less than perfect, but not the horror show I anticipated.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #718
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank12345
He tried to get the folks on the phone to hit the card again, but it was after 5 so no one was there.... Scheduled to come back out next week....
I would go online to the Charter chat system (ask for the "Video" group) and give them the CableCard id, Host id, and MAC address of that card (don't even mention the other card). They should be able to verify they have the correct numbers in their system and re-init the card. Waiting for them to come back out just to call Charter themselves is a waste of time.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #719
hank12345

Thanks, Rainwater!

chatted with the video dept, and they hit the card-- seems to be working now....

Folks on this forum are the best!

Hank
Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #720
pattont

Alright, so seeing 'rainwater's' post I had to give this a try. So I fired up the chat and got someone that actually wasn't a robot hitting the auto response keys. Well come to find out on the two sheets that had my hostid,mac,ccid on them i went to verify the info written down with the actual cards and it was incorrect and I was so excited when I fired up the chat because I thought that once they fixed this it would be good to go. Come to find out once I got the guy on the chat he verified both cards were entered and paired correctly (so he/she says not sure if they actually knew what that meant), and that he was going to reset. As soon as he said he was going to reset and it should fix it, i about flipped a lid because they ALWAYS wanna f'in reset and that has never fixed my cards.

I was then told that their wasn't anything more that they could do via chat that i would have to call the 1888-WESUCKATLIFE line and talk to them about it and schedule someone to come out. I said that I have had the senior tech for my area come out twice and neither him nor his boss know why the crap I can't watch skinamax in HD along with my other channels I am missing. He came back and asked "really??, the senior tech couldn't fix it, what do you want me to do via chat???" Kindof caught me off guard he took up for himself and that was kindof cool. I then asked him if he could pull my cards off my account and put them back on maybe that would jar the system to let me actually get my service correctly, he said that tier 2 techs could do that but he could not. He then told me to call the number but when i got someone immediatly ask for tier 2 that I have already spoken to a tier 1 about the issue. I am going to call when I wake up in the morning and try to get this resolved.

I know one thing as many times as I have called these ******s I should be getting free service. You guys don't even wanna hear what kindof hell I have had with autopay and these we are cutting off your service phone calls I have gotten.. I am poster child for the "charter f'ups" that they wanna keep quiet :-)