TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #661
rnowicki

Well it is a mixed bag, but the glass is definitely half full.

First cablecard went in and the expected cablecard decoder screen came up. We waited patiently for about 1 minute and then the screen popped up with the 2 numeric strings that the cable guy then called in to activate. After card #1 activation I ran a channel check and everything looked good. All expected channels received including HD channels.

Popped in cable card #2, and got the first screen, but after many minutes never received the expected screen with the numbers. I then hit the "go back" option and immediately got a message that the cable card 2 firmware was being updated, and could take as long as 40 minutes. After 1.5 hours I decided that this was going nowhere and pulled the card #2 out. Since I had done a guided setup after the first card went in, I'm getting the expected cable channels but just on one card. The installer was kind enough to offer to come back today during my lunch hour with a new card for slot #2.

The internet part was much simpler. I had bought my own cable modem at BB to avoid the $2.95 per month charge. I dropped this in place of my DSL modem, and then switched my Vonage box from static IP to DHCP and all worked perfectly. BTW, a download speed test showed *exactly* (well, 2.94) Mbpd downstream. So, they are giving me 3Mbps but it appears limited to that. The cable guy said that in August Charter was upping the 3 to 5 with no extra charge. The AT&T trucks in the area must have them sweating a bit

Will update again after lunch today.

Robert
rnowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #662
rnowicki

Ok,
The installer stopped by and tried the new cable card #2. This time it worked first time no problems. I went through the guided setup again, and then as a quick test I started recording 2 different HD programs off of cable. Both were successfully being recorded when I left.

Robert
Old 05-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #663
Rick&CAT
Rick & Carole-Anne

Decryption Status

A little Story and some help please..
I'm still having problems, since February, with Charter and my Series 3 cards. Card 2 receives everything, including HD. Card in slot 1 is only receiving Basic and Expanded Basic. Since, I assume the recorder defaults to card 1, I can't feel confident setting the recorder for anything important.

Last Friday I took a day off for Charter only to have a tech arrive with no CC's on his truck. Smart?

Just had another service call today and they replaced both cards with new 2007 cards. Still slot one is not working, but I'm almost 100% sure slot one worked in Feb. when first installed before the first installer swapped cards around in an attempt to get both cards working. I'm saying this because today's tech tried to tell me "it must be the Tivo." I suggested he switch the cards and ask for a fresh "hit" so we could be certain, since we knew card 2 was working. Why not put it in slot 1? He wouldn't. Said we would have to schedule another service call. They would bring out a fresh CC and swap out slot 1. This, of course, means another day off from work which means maybe in another month or six weeks. I don't know what these guys think, we don't work?

I've had four different techs at the house and not one of them has ever done a Tivo.

After tech left today, my CP screen had this info on it. Especially interesting to me is the "Decrytion Status" for Card 1. Anyone know if this means Charter didn't do something they should have today when they sent the hit to that card? If so, maybe a call will suffice.

(By the way, these new 2007 cards don't require the waiting time to upload the channels. They boot up almost instantly like the cable boxes.)

CC1:
Auth Status: CP auth Rec'd
Prog #: 6
CCI Byte: 0x00
ECM count: 0
EMM Count: 0
Decryption status: Not CA Authorized

Power key status: Ready
EID:0xa
MKS Period:100 sec
KSE count: 0

CC2:
ECM count: 88
Decryption status: OK
Powerkey status: Ready
EID:0x30

Rick
Rick&CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #664
rn701

Saw that this is the "official Charter cable card thread", so I'm posting this here in the interest of sharing info on Charter cable card installs (even though I haven't had "problems", yet.)

We're in Blount Co. TN (in East TN near Knoxville).

Ordered a Tivo S3 from Amazon ($606) should be here tomorrow. (Can I get in on this rebate deal, or should I return it? Heh.)

Called the Charter toll-free number, selected the option to "add new service".

Got a sales person, when I said I wanted to order cable cards he immediately transferred me to "Customer Service".

Told her that I wanted to order two cable cards. She said she would be happy to help me with that and verified some account info. So far so good.

She said she needed to make me aware that it could take two to four weeks because they have to order the cards. I said fine.

She asked what kind of TV it was for. I told her it was for a Tivo Series 3. She paused for a second (maybe looking for something in her database?) and said, OK, but what kind of TV? I told her "Sony" and we proceeded. So far so good.

She "filled out a form" (took a couple of minutes on hold). She gave me the "form number" as a reference, and said someone from installations would call to schedule it once the cards came in.

I asked if I could just pick up the cards and do it myself, she said no, they have to come out and install them. I said fine.

Then she asked me a bunch of marketing survey questions and tried to sell me phone service, which I declined.

That's it so far. Now I wait. I will update this as the process moves along....
rn701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #665
rnowicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&CAT
A little Story and some help please..
I'm still having problems, since February, with Charter and my Series 3 cards. Card 2 receives everything, including HD. Card in slot 1 is only receiving Basic and Expanded Basic. Since, I assume the recorder defaults to card 1, I can't feel confident setting the recorder for anything important.

Last Friday I took a day off for Charter only to have a tech arrive with no CC's on his truck. Smart?

Just had another service call today and they replaced both cards with new 2007 cards. Still slot one is not working, but I'm almost 100% sure slot one worked in Feb. when first installed before the first installer swapped cards around in an attempt to get both cards working. I'm saying this because today's tech tried to tell me "it must be the Tivo." I suggested he switch the cards and ask for a fresh "hit" so we could be certain, since we knew card 2 was working. Why not put it in slot 1? He wouldn't. Said we would have to schedule another service call. They would bring out a fresh CC and swap out slot 1. This, of course, means another day off from work which means maybe in another month or six weeks. I don't know what these guys think, we don't work?

I've had four different techs at the house and not one of them has ever done a Tivo.

After tech left today, my CP screen had this info on it. Especially interesting to me is the "Decrytion Status" for Card 1. Anyone know if this means Charter didn't do something they should have today when they sent the hit to that card? If so, maybe a call will suffice.

(By the way, these new 2007 cards don't require the waiting time to upload the channels. They boot up almost instantly like the cable boxes.)

CC1:
ECM count: 0
Decryption status: Not CA Authorized

Power key status: Ready
EID:0xa

CC2:
ECM count: 88
Decryption status: OK
Powerkey status: Ready
EID:0x30

Rick

Rick,
That was a good idea to switch the slots that the cable cards are in, then do a fresh hit on each. The only thing that I would have done differently on your recent call would have been to just remove the non-working card in slot #1, reinsert it, and have them hit it again. The idea here being that the "Not CA Authorized" message is probably indicating that the card is not currently authorized to decode encrypted content. YMMV.

Robert
Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #666
TracyMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn701
Saw that this is the "official Charter cable card thread", so I'm posting this here in the interest of sharing info on Charter cable card installs (even though I haven't had "problems", yet.)

Ordered a Tivo S3 from Amazon ($606) should be here tomorrow. (Can I get in on this rebate deal, or should I return it? Heh.)
I think as long as you wait until 5/27 to activate the TIVO you still qualify for the $200 rebate. Hold out just a little longer!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #667
rn701

TM: "I think as long as you wait until 5/27 to activate the TIVO you still qualify for the $200 rebate. Hold out just a little longer!"

I was thinking that might be the case, but doesn't look like it. The rebate form is pretty explicit:

(1) Eligible TiVoŽ Series3TM Digital Video Recorder must be purchased between 5/27/07 and 6/16/07, inclusive. Products purchased before or after these dates are not eligible for this rebate offer. Purchase date is determined by invoice or receipt date.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #668
TracyMiller

Quote:
TM: "I think as long as you wait until 5/27 to activate the TIVO you still qualify for the $200 rebate. Hold out just a little longer!"

I was thinking that might be the case, but doesn't look like it. The rebate form is pretty explicit:

(1) Eligible TiVoŽ Series3TM Digital Video Recorder must be purchased between 5/27/07 and 6/16/07, inclusive. Products purchased before or after these dates are not eligible for this rebate offer. Purchase date is determined by invoice or receipt date.
Sorry, my bad. Didn't read the details closely enough. Still, maybe you could return the one you have and get another one post 5/27. I guess that would depend on how much trouble you're willing to go through to save $200. Everyone values his own time differently.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #669
GooberMan

I'm in SC and don't have the S3 yet but I was told by the online Charter "live help" rep that I can pick up the cableCARDs and install them myself without an installation. Is this true or am I going to run into problems when I go to pick them up?
GooberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #670
GadgetVirtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberMan
I'm in SC and don't have the S3 yet but I was told by the online Charter "live help" rep that I can pick up the cableCARDs and install them myself without an installation. Is this true or am I going to run into problems when I go to pick them up?
Charter here won't allow self install. On at least one call the rep suggested I could do a self install but when I questioned it they corrected themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Premier 4XL TiVo, TiVo Mini Apple TV, Roku in a Mac OS X Mountain Lion household.
GadgetVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #671
rainwater

Quote:
You are better off calling the local office. They are the ones who make that decision, but its likely they do not allow it. But please let us know what you find out.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #672
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

I'm pretty sure there are 2 main issues with self-installs. One, they miss out on the money from a truck roll (although, I'd almost say they lose money on every truck roll for cablecard installs) and second, they'd rather not give out the number to the people who are entering the info on the cablecards at the headend.

I suppose also with the failure rate of cablecards (meaning you might need 4 or 5 to get 2 good ones) and the probability of needing to test line signal strength, they are just saving the support line calls and probable visit anyway.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #673
GooberMan

So I'm probably gonna need installation after all. Is it okay to activate the S3 with Tivo and go through guided setup and such without the cards or do I need to wait until I get the cards before doing anything with the box?
GooberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #674
rainwater

Quote:
So I'm probably gonna need installation after all. Is it okay to activate the S3 with Tivo and go through guided setup and such without the cards or do I need to wait until I get the cards before doing anything with the box?
You should go ahead and run guided setup before installing the cards. Also, the box will probably have a software update available (which may fix CC issues).
Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #675
AdmiralTivo
You talkin' to me?

I'm in the same situation: I want to get in on the rebate, but I'm unsure if the CC install will happen in a timely manner.

My question is, does the guided setup require a signal input to complete? Should I run the setup with the TiVo connected to my existing STB? Will that allow me to do the CC install later, or does that make the process more difficult?

I haven't called Charter yet, but just trying to plan ahead...
AdmiralTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #676
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTivo
I'm in the same situation: I want to get in on the rebate, but I'm unsure if the CC install will happen in a timely manner.

My question is, does the guided setup require a signal input to complete? Should I run the setup with the TiVo connected to my existing STB? Will that allow me to do the CC install later, or does that make the process more difficult?

I haven't called Charter yet, but just trying to plan ahead...
You should go ahead and plug the cable into the back of the S3 and run guided setup with a analog setup. At least then it will be done indexing that data when the CC is installed and the S3 will be more responsive.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #677
Roderigo

It's also a good idea to get through Guided Setup, and make a few connections to get the latest software update onto the box. Tivo may have fixed problems in newer updates that you'd want when the installer arrives.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #678
rn701

Charter cable cards installed - working AOK so far

Quote:

Called the Charter toll-free number, selected the option to "add new service".

Got a sales person, when I said I wanted to order cable cards he immediately transferred me to "Customer Service".

Told her that I wanted to order two cable cards. She said she would be happy to help me with that and verified some account info. So far so good.

She said she needed to make me aware that it could take two to four weeks because they have to order the cards. I said fine.

She asked what kind of TV it was for. I told her it was for a Tivo Series 3. She paused for a second (maybe looking for something in her database?) and said, OK, but what kind of TV? I told her "Sony" and we proceeded. So far so good.

She "filled out a form" (took a couple of minutes on hold). She gave me the "form number" as a reference, and said someone from installations would call to schedule it once the cards came in.

I asked if I could just pick up the cards and do it myself, she said no, they have to come out and install them. I said fine.

Then she asked me a bunch of marketing survey questions and tried to sell me phone service, which I declined.

That's it so far. Now I wait. I will update this as the process moves along....
UPDATE: 5/31/07

On 5/24, I called to check on the status of the order. They said the cards had come in, but when they called to schedule installation nobody answered. Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't called. Anyway, scheduled the install for yesterday (5/30/07) between 1PM and 5PM.

5/30, 4:45 PM: no show. Called hoping to catch them before the local office closed or something, they said the tech was running behind and had one other appointment before mine. Assured me someone would be coming.

6:30 PM still no show. Called back, and they said the tech had done one job in the morning and "disappeared" and nobody could find him. Said they would track down whoever was handing his calls and get somebody over right away. I asked about the cards they had "ordered" that the tech would presumably still have. They said all the techs have them on their trucks, no big deal. (So why all the drama about ordering?) Gave me a $20 credit for the missed appointment.

7:30 PM get a local call from some other company (turns out to be a subcontractor). They apologize for the missed appointment and said they are having trouble locating the tech. Supervisor can't find him, friends can't find him, but they will get somebody over right away. Now I'm worried about the guy, feeling bad about being mad at him while he could be laid up in the hospital or something.

8:15 PM get another call from the same company. Said they just realized this is a cablecard install, and they are a subcontractor and aren't authorized to install cablecards. Somebody from Charter would have to be dispatched. They said they would take care of it and somebody would be here first thing in the morning.

9:30 PM called Charter to confirm they had contacted someone and set an appointment. The guy said he had no record of any new appointment. I unloaded on the poor guy and said either send somebody to install the cable cards or somebody to uninstall the cable service. He put a note on the account and said the local dispatch would see it.

5/31/07, 9:00 AM this morning: called Charter again. Still nothing scheduled. Offered to reschedule the appointment for Saturday or one day next week. I said I'd wait some more and if nobody showed up I'd call back to reschedule, not wanting to lose my place in line in case somebody was actually coming. They said they would put another note on the account.

10:00 AM, Charter guy shows up with the cable cards. Said he wasn't scheduled to work today but had gone in to fill out his timesheet and somebody asked if he would do it and he said sure.

12:00 Cable cards finally installed and working after much drama. The cable guy had never seen a Tivo S3 or any other device with two cards. Took six or seven phone calls to at least four different people to get the cards in the system and provisioned.

First problem was they "weren't in inventory." They fixed that, and then they had to try several times to get all the serial nbrs. etc. entered correctly and run whatever setup they run to get it all provisioned correctly.

Then, no digital or premium channels showed up except for the local HD channels. Analogs still worked fine. The tech first said something was wrong with the Tivo digital tuner, but the signal strength test on the Tivo showed strong signal on all the digital and premium channels. Then he thought it was something wrong with the Tivo channel settings, so we went back through the guided setup, still no digital or premium channels. At that point he decided it was something on their end, called back in, got someone else to do something, and it started working.

For the second card, the tech got the same person who finally got the first one to work to setup the second one, so the second one went a lot smoother. We got the 161-4 error on both cards. Following that, the Tivo cablecard "channel test" dialog said "no channels" and would not tune anything. This happened with both cards. Rebooting the Tivo seemed to fix it both times.

During the tech's conversations with the home office people, one guy told him he had only setup four cablecards the entire time he'd been with Charter. The tech said he had installed a few, but only in TVs. He said TVs are a lot simpler. Even so, he said nobody at this office wants to mess with cablecards because they are always such a PITA to get setup and working.

Why they won't let you just order the cards over their website and have them Fedexed and then let you enter the codes over the same website is beyond me. The Charter guy said that's all they are doing when he calls in the codes - he reads them the numbers and they type them into a webpage and run some stuff to activate everything. Not sure why a Charter tech has to come out for that.

Anyway, everything is working like a champ now. I get all the premiums, all the HD channels, recorders work on both channels, etc. etc. I am a happy camper, and I am SO happy to have Tivo back (and so is the Mrs.) I gave the Charter guy a few bucks to buy lunch on me for showing up and sticking it out until we got it working.

EDIT: P.S. I forgot to mention, I didn't get a good look at the cards, but the tech said they were Motorola cards and he liked them better because they usually work.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #679
kjmcdonald

Moving to Charter...

Hi all,

I got my S3's in Jan and Feb, and never bothered with CC's with Comcast since I knew I was moving. So now I'm moving into a town serviced with Charter, and really with the S3's being out for almost a year now, and the integration ban deadline so close I had really hoped that things would be moving smoother than it seems they are.

I've read most of this thread, and haven't seen any stories for MA, so I'll post mine after I get them hooked after I move on the 15th. If anyone has any MA specific (Uxbridge) suggestions on dealing with Charter, please let me know.

The other info in this thread has been great! Thanks!

-Kyle
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 AM   #680
brian1269

I got my S3 to accept the cable cards today on the second service call by Charter. The first time last week the tech brought two cards, one with a 2004 date and the other 2005 I think. Neither of the first two cards worked (could never get to the MMI screen).

The tech said he would reschedule and get two more cards and have them updated/upgraded in the office before he brought them. One had a 2007 date, the other 2005. They both worked within a minute or two. No problems with any of the channels.

I think the key is to get the firmware updated before the cards ever go in the S3. It seems to have problems updating them. Hope this helps.
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #681
Rick&CAT
Rick & Carole-Anne

cablecards finally work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1269
I got my S3 to accept the cable cards today on the second service call by Charter. The first time last week the tech brought two cards, one with a 2004 date and the other 2005 I think. Neither of the first two cards worked (could never get to the MMI screen).

The tech said he would reschedule and get two more cards and have them updated/upgraded in the office before he brought them. One had a 2007 date, the other 2005. They both worked within a minute or two. No problems with any of the channels.

I think the key is to get the firmware updated before the cards ever go in the S3. It seems to have problems updating them. Hope this helps.

Both of my cablecards started working on all channels after Charter did a cable card firmware update on the evening of May 29 (Riverside, CA). Turned on the set and there was a message on the screen about a cable card firmware update in progress. -- This may take 40 minutes. Do not turn off your equipment -- or something to that effect. Well, after two or three hours, the message was still on the TV, so I went to bed. Low and behold, the next day ALL channels came in fine on both cable cards for the first time since February install.
Rick&CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #682
copwriter

Tri-Cities, WA

Here's the first installment of what I hope will not be an extended saga (but given Charter's history of customer service, I am not optimistic):

Ordered my Series 3 thru TCS. It was waiting for me when I returned last night from a business trip. Armed with hard copies of Charter's web site FAQ on CableCards, the FCC regulation requiring them to provision CableCards, and the press release from CableLabs indicating that the TiVo had been certified as digital cable ready, I drove down to the Charter office in Kennewick (the Tri-Cities of Washington are Kennewick, Richland and Pasco. We're located near the SE corner of Washington state - the dry, sunny, politically conservative part, not the wet, rainy, politically liberal part). I told the customer service rep that I had purchased a TiVo and wanted to have CableCards ordered and installed for it. She took a breath (so did I), started to tell me that I was SOL, then turned to the rep next to her and asked her if they handled TiVos. The other rep said they did. She took the order and scheduled me for June 25th. Stay tuned.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #683
kjmcdonald

Charter needs to get the left hand talking to the right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald
Hi all,

I got my S3's in Jan and Feb, and never bothered with CC's with Comcast since I knew I was moving. So now I'm moving into a town serviced with Charter, and really with the S3's being out for almost a year now, and the integration ban deadline so close I had really hoped that things would be moving smoother than it seems they are.

I've read most of this thread, and haven't seen any stories for MA, so I'll post mine after I get them hooked after I move on the 15th. If anyone has any MA specific (Uxbridge) suggestions on dealing with Charter, please let me know.

The other info in this thread has been great! Thanks!

-Kyle
Well The installer came on Saturday. First off, no matter how many times I stressed that I needed 4 CableCARDs (2 for each TV [Tivo]) when making the appt., he was still only given 2 Cards.

Next when he called in to activate the cards, he was put on hold and transfered to the 'CableCARD activation dept.' and waited on hold about 20 minutes each time he called in before he hung up. In the end he told me that he wasn't sure why they scheduled a cable card install for a Saturday, because as far as he could tell (from the other people he did talk to.) the 'CableCARD activation dept.' wasn't open on saturdays.

So he made sure my analog extended basic was working, and checked signal levels on my cablemodem, and he left telling me to reschedule the cablecards for a weekday.

Today when I called to reschedule, the woman I tlaked to couldn't understand why he didn't have 4 cards, since as far as she knew all TV's that took CableCARDs need 2. Huh? I didn't try to argue with her. I again stressed that I needed 4 total, and she made a new appt. for Friday.

I'm expecting to only get 2 on friday though.

We didn't even get to stick the cards into the tivo's, so I don't know if we would have problems there or not. The cards were Scientific Atlanta cards, at least in my part of MA.

-Kyle
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #684
kjmcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass
When my cards were first installed the only channels that I could get were the same as yours: below 100 and local HDs. This was a result of the "dispatch" people entering the incorrect authorization codes. The installer called them back, and, for me, the codes the new codes entered partially worked - I was still missing about a dozen stations.

As I posted above, a Charter head end engineer told me that a common problem is that out of ignorance the dispatch people apply digital set top box codes rather than cablecard codes. After the correct codes were finally entered, he had me pop out the cards, reinsert them one at a time, and issued resets each time. I had no cablecards replaced and that fixed the problem. The guy at the head end could actually see exactly which channels I could get or not get on each card

BTW, I am located in Massachusetts.

Regarding poor reception/pixelization, I would suspect that that is a different problem, possibly related to signal quality. Are you using RG6 cable or do you have RG59 common in older cable wirings? The cable guys should be able to troubleshoot that one.
This problem still exists. A week ago when I called up to setup my install, I was told that "If you want CableCARDs, you can't have Digital Cable, only extended Basic." I told her that was fishy since the cable cards are for "digital cable ready' equipment, but she said that's how thier system works.

Since I'm really only looking for access to the unencrypted digital and HD channels (with the right channel mapping) I'm not really worried, I just want the cards put in and working, if I need to have channels added later I'll worry about that then. Plus this ended up being cheaper to boot!

-Kyle
Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #685
kjmcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass
Be careful that they don't try to blow you off on Saturday. On one Saturday, I waited all day only to have the Charter service guy call at 4pm and tell me that they can't install cablecards on Saturdays because no one is working at the head end. The next Charter guy who came the following Tuesday told me this was a lie and that the guy probably just wanted to get home early.
That's not a lie in my experience. The guy showed up to my place a little before noon on saturday, and spent 40 minutes or more on hold waiting for the head-end to pick up. Finally he got someone else who told him that that dept. isn't open on weekends. That didn't stop the CSR from taking my order for a Sat. appt. though.

-Kyle
Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #686
cotton168

I recently just had a real problem with one of my CCs and although for now, I am okay with it being defective, I will have to make an appointment with Charter to swap out CC #2. From the CC Diagnostic page in the S3, it said that CC #2 was not working properly and I was not able to get some channels while getting others. CC #1 works perfectly (fingers crossed) so it's looking like CC #2 will be out. I've had these CCs since I first got them without much issues, but this is a pretty big issue.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #687
dennismartinek

Can anyone with Charter figure out the decoder cards?

I got my S3 yesterday, the Charter guy showed up, had never done an install with Tivo. The directions are simple enough, but after three cards, nothing. Tivo sees them in the slots (yes, we did slot 1 first but tried slot 2 at the request of Tivo).

A new Charter rep showed up today, with one new card...they can't get the settings they need, and it shows as not being activated.

So, after about 12 hours of this nonsense, he suggested putting the card into the TV to see what happened. It did a firmware upgrade for an hour, and then I put it into the Tivo.

I got excited too early, since it finally allowed me to go through the process of Guided Setup again. Then, it had the nerve to go into a firmware update on Tivo, finished that, continued with the process, right near the end...and then, Firmware upgrade...again.

Am I downloading plans to launch nukes or watch TV? Anyone have this problem or any suggestions? I'm ready to give up!

Please, someone tell me they know the answer to this...Charter doesn't, Tivo doesn't, each says its the other. In the meantime, I'm missing the Red Sox!

Thanks.
dennismartinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #688
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismartinek
I got my S3 yesterday, the Charter guy showed up, had never done an install with Tivo. The directions are simple enough, but after three cards, nothing. Tivo sees them in the slots (yes, we did slot 1 first but tried slot 2 at the request of Tivo).

A new Charter rep showed up today, with one new card...they can't get the settings they need, and it shows as not being activated.

So, after about 12 hours of this nonsense, he suggested putting the card into the TV to see what happened. It did a firmware upgrade for an hour, and then I put it into the Tivo.

I got excited too early, since it finally allowed me to go through the process of Guided Setup again. Then, it had the nerve to go into a firmware update on Tivo, finished that, continued with the process, right near the end...and then, Firmware upgrade...again.

Am I downloading plans to launch nukes or watch TV? Anyone have this problem or any suggestions? I'm ready to give up!

Please, someone tell me they know the answer to this...Charter doesn't, Tivo doesn't, each says its the other. In the meantime, I'm missing the Red Sox!

Thanks.
Where are you located at Dennis? There have been Charter techs that have installed the CCs on S3s before so getting someone that has installed on an S3 is always a good thing. The CCs could also be defective. Most of us had asked Charter to bring more than 2 because you never know. Some of the Charter techs were kind enough to bring 7 or 8 so just in case one doesn't work, something out of that batch should.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #689
notable17

I don't usually post, but I thought I'd give an update on how my cablecard installs went. I called on Friday for an appointment and was given any time on the weekend, which I chose not to do based on posts on this board stating that there is no cablecard support at the Charter offices on the weekend. I then chose Monday between 1:00 - 3:00 pm. The installer showed up at 2:55 (of course) and was out of the house by 3:45 with both cards up and operational with all channels including premiums.

He had never seen an S3 before but was very "coachable". He followed my instructions and resisted installing both cards at the same time. This bothered the woman on the phone that he was talking to, but if it wasn't him she talked to, then it would be someone else. I got 161-4 on both cards and a few minutes later they both paired with the Tivo. Initial tests only got me standard cable and no premiums, but after they both got the standard cable channels, including HD, the woman on the phone did something from the headend and all my premiums started working.

The installer thanked me for all my help and said he is now the new "expert" installer at his office for Tivo S3's since he was the first one to do one in my area.

All in all things went pretty smoothly and the installer was patient with my demands...er.. requests. Just thought you'd all like to know that things sometimes do go well with cablecards. Thanks to all of you for the advice and information in making this an easy install. Now on to setting up my season passes.

Good riddance Moxi.
notable17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #690
copwriter

Post #683 - Part Deux

CableCard install on Monday: installer was supposed to be here between 1000-1200. The doorbell rings at 1000 on the dot. He was a contract installer, not a Charter employee.

He said he had installed CableCards once before, but in a TV set, never a TiVo. He didn't appear to know what a TiVo was. When I had made the appointment, I had asked that Charter send out four CableCards, as they have a high failure rate. Of clurse, Charter ignored this. The installer had two cards (I suppose I should be thankful he didn't have just one). I gave him the install instruction sheet that had come with the TiVo, and added that everything I had read (most of it here) indicated that following the instructions step by step was critical. He acknowledged this, then proceeded to insert both cards in the TiVo at the same time, not waiting for pairing or any screen indication on either. To no great surprise, this did not work.

I again asked him to look at the instructions. He did, and things began to go a bit more smoothly. He put one card into the lower slot and first got the 161-1 error, but it eventually resolved to the setup screen. He called their central station and listened to elevator music for about ten minutes, then got a tech that knew only marginally more about CableCards than my installer did. The installer read numbers off to the tech, who got every one of them wrong on the first try. After 15 minutes or so of back and forth, the first CableCard was putting out a signal, and I could see channels on the test screen.

CableCard No. 2 didn't go so well. It wouldn't sync, and when we swapped the first one in and out of the No. 2 card slot, it worked fine. Bad card. I figured he was going to tell me that he would have to come back another day, but instead he called one of his co-workers who was closer to the Charter office than he was. The co-worker agreed to pick up a replacement card, and the installer said he would meet him halfway between my house and Charter. He leaves.

He's back in about an hour, this time with two sidekicks. One is apparently some sort of lead installer or foreman. They bring a total of four cards with them. The installer makes another call to Charter, getting a different tech this time (but not without another interlude of elevator music). This one had better hearing, and got the numbers right on the first try. A test on both cards showed HD channels coming in just peachy.

I ran guided setup, and had the channel lineup in and loaded in about 20 minutes. All appears well. This actually went much more smoothly than I anticipated.

Three items of intel that the installer dropped on me:
  1. When I complained that Charter had lousy customer service, the installer was in complete agreement. His company does installs for cable tv providers all over the Pacific Northwest, and he has more trouble with Charter than all the others put together. He was overheard complaining about this once, and was called into the Charter manager's office for a dressing-down. Apparently it is not accepted practice to comment that the Emperor is naked.
  2. It is no secret that Charter provides bad customer service. Comcast is hot on their heels to get the local franchise.
  3. The CableCards that were delivered to me are in short supply, as they are starting to distribute a newer, presumably more reliable, model. Charter, not missing an opportunity to save money and shaft the customer simultaneously, won't let go of any of the new cards until the old ones are all out of stock.

As for me, my new TiVo is grinding away, and life is good. I wish the rest of you a similarly stress-free experience.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote