TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #631
bk406

Charter hooked up my series 3 on monday.
However, the installer would not listen to me when i told him to install each card seperatly. He proceeded to do it the way he wanted. Said if he did each one instead of togther, it would take too long.
He called the headend, gave them the Mac address, serial numbers, and the host IDs.

We got a few channels ro come up, but a lot of the digital and HD channels didnt work. he said it could take up to 12 hours (this i did not beleive).

The next day, i still had NO channels at all on cable card1, and intermittant channles on card 2. Got another guy out on wednesday. He took both cards out, rebooted Tivo, stuck the cards back in one at a time. bingo, up and running in 20 minutes.

Make sure they installer puts the cards in one at a time, lets the channels load, then go thru the setup for the second card.

Not sure if this was a problem, but the 1st guy was a contractor for charter. The second guy was a direct employee.
bk406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #632
TracyMiller

Well, after having a DirecTivo for four years, then switching to a Charter DVR (SA 8300HD after we got our HDTV), my wife and I had severe Tivo withdrawal for two years. We finally got sick enough of it to take the plunge and get the Tivo Series 3. When it arrived I hooked it up and played with it with our analog channels to get it set up and tested. When I first heard the TIVO blips and chimes, I almost cried it was so beautiful. Those of you converting from other DVR's after first having TIVO know what I'm talking about.

The CableCARD installation was on Thursday morning (after they cancelled the Wednesday appointment). The Charter guy was very nice, but said this is the first Tivo Series 3 he had done. He was enthusiastic to see how TIVO worked with HD.

I gave him the instructions and he tried to follow them closely. After getting the first card installed, the channel test showed only the analog channels working. He continued with the second card, with the same result. After a few calls to Charter, he got them to re-initialize the cards (I think this was his terminology). Still no luck. Called TIVO, but they didn't have much to recommend except re-inserting them again and having Charter hit them again. We did this, and still no luck. We rebooted the TIVO. Still no dice. Went through the Guided Setup. Still no digital channels.

After talking with his supervisor, the tech was prepared to leave and come back tomorrow if need be to continue trying with different cards. Finally, right before he left, the digital and HD channels started working! He had been there about three hours at that point. My wife and I were ecstatic to finally have HD Tivo. We thanked him and sent him on his way. He was such a trooper.

We're extremely pleased with the unit. I have some issues with motion artifacting that we didn't have with our SA8300HD, but that's for another thread. Also, the guide data is still missing from UNVHD and MAXHD, but I've contacted Tivo, who contacted Charter, and they're working on the problem.

Long live TIVO!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #633
CraigHB

Hehe, got a chuckle out of your post. Yea, those TiVo chimes are comforting, like an old friend. Glad to hear your cards are working.

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #634
TBarclay3

After my initial bad experience with the Charter cable card install, I called twice to try to get things working over the phone -- no luck. And I was told that a tech could only come out on weekdays, either morning or afternoon. Since I had already taken one day off from work, I had to wait to find another day I could take off an afternoon. Finally, I found a day I could take and called Charter to arrange another visit. At that point, the installer said his records showed my cards had never been initiated -- and that my cards would be working when I got home that evening. But just in case, he scheduled a truck roll for -- Saturday morning! (So I had been lied to about weekday-only appointments!!) Unfortunately, still no luck on the encrypted channels that evening. So I waited for Saturday morning. The visit was scheduled for between 8am and Noon. The installer arrived at 11:55. He was already calling to get the authorizations and wondering why he had to come in person. He did bring some new cable cards in case the first ones were bad. When he finally connected with the office after waiting for 15 minutes -- the cell phone disconnected -- and I was getting a really bad feeling. He tried to call again, on his phone and mine -- and this time he gave the information and all of a sudden, I got that 161-4 error message, twice (once for each card) in a period of about a minute. And voila -- all the channels were there! I couldn't believe it was that easy. Took about 30 minutes -- with 25 of those waiting on the phone for an agent to pick up. I can't believe there's not a quicker way for Charter techs to connect to their office. But now I'm not complaining -- I'm getting my movie channels and HD premiums and I'm a happy camper.
TBarclay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #635
CraigHB

I think Charter has not yet realized cable card activation is really a simple process, call in the numbers, initialize the cards, done. For some reason, they think anything invloving cablecards requires a techinician visit. They could make the process a lot chepaer and easier on everyone if they would allow some customer interaction. I don't know if they'll ever get it together, but once you get past the waiting around for appointments, clueless techs, and inept CSR's, things do seem to work just fine.

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #636
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB
I think Charter has not yet realized cable card activation is really a simple process, call in the numbers, initialize the cards, done. For some reason, they think anything invloving cablecards requires a techinician visit. They could make the process a lot chepaer and easier on everyone if they would allow some customer interaction. I don't know if they'll ever get it together, but once you get past the waiting around for appointments, clueless techs, and inept CSR's, things do seem to work just fine.
Same with Comcast. While part of me thinks it is just their way to get another $50 installation fee, it does not correlate with them allowing us to pickup cable boxes and DVR's.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #637
Rick&CAT
Rick & Carole-Anne

CraigHB hit it right on the head.
We were told initially to come down to the Charter office to pick up our two cablecards. Went down last Tuesday to pick them up - oh no, we have to install them!!
On Thursday, the installer came to install - never done a TIVO before. Took him three hours. Some stations didn't come in so he called in his supervisor. Supervisor came over, yanked out the cards and reinstalled them. An hour later, the super tells him it takes a few hours for all the stations to "kick in".
Rick&CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #638
CharterJames
Digital Guru

The Cards are pretty simple and straight forward, there are just a few things you have to look out for:

1) Customer Service (and even technicians) are not really trained at all on this. As far as the Cableco goes, we're pretty much taught that you should just be able to pop in the card and go... which is MOSTLY true... but to get the card to "pair" with any hardware it has to be initialized. - a "Cold Initialization" will do the trick and most CSRs should be able to do this (depending on the system and it's billing interface, the "CSG" billing system I know does this - "ICOMS" I'm not sure of.)

One thing to look for - if you get sent a cold init you should see an Error 161-4 on your screen (At least if it's a motorola card, Scientific Atlanta Systems might be different) - this is not a bad thing - what happens in a Motorola system is the Cold Init sends a "reboot" command at the end of it's run and this command cannot be executed by cable card equipment. Most CC equipment will ignore the command but TIVO gives the 161-4 error. I like to think of it as an Acknowledgement of the Cold Init.

2) Because different CC equipment reacts differently to different firmwares, the cards will not be upgraded in the field - they are left on their base firmware. *Nothing a CSR can do remotely can Wipe this root firmware off* - I mean this... NOTHING - I run a Digital Controller - this is the server that actually sends the commands down to boxes and cablecards - I've sent both Cold and "Warm" inits as well as "Hits" and "Refreshes" - all directly from the controller - and none of them will "burn out" the card.

Sometimes it will take a different Card - one thing to look for (again in a moto system) is a MEDIACYPHER-M card - the ones with the picture of a globe on it - it will probably also have gold/brash looking "studs" on the insertion end and holes in the back - the older non-M mediacyphers have a smooth insertion end and no holes on the back edge.

M cards should work with TIVO, however these Mediacypher-M's initially come with a pre-release firmware that does not "play well with others"

Later this year new "M" cards should be rolling out, these will look COMPLETELY different on the label end, with a Red / Blue color scheme - one for 1 way and one for 2 way.

The new "M" cards will support multi-stream and if I'm correct you'll only need 1 card (in the first slot) in your TIVO to run both tuners. There's no ETA on this, but I'm thinking they'll trickle out into the field by 3rd Quarter 2007 - I'm hoping to have some to test for my market in the next month or so.

3) Because cablecards require the cold init to get started - we prefer to have a technician there when the cards are put in or removed. In theory yeah, all you'd have to do is pick up your handy-dandy card and call in and have someone init it... just like a cable modem - just call in and have them put it on the account and provision it... but then again, in theory the Titanic was Unsinkable...

"Cold Init" / "Cold Initialization" is the magic word... often you can get a less knowledgable CSR to do this by asking them to "Reset" the card - if they worry they will break something, tell them it's ok.

and again, from my earlier rant, just a reminder - Cable Companies support CableCard, not TIVO... so expect to have to find out any oddball error codes, don't expect anyone at any CableCo to understand how to work your menus etc and make friends with people on the other side of the fence who know the ropes and can help you out

Worst case senerio, Go up the chain - if the CSR or CSR supervisor refuse to help you, keep asking to go up the chain... if they give you any flack about TIVO, just tell them you want support for your CableCARD.

Personally I think the best support route is to go to the local office and let them know, ask if there's someone who can help you troubleshoot it like a chief tech or some sort of guru - with luck you'll be passed on to someone like me who loves playing with oddball stuff!

The views and opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

Last edited by CharterJames : 03-06-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Update!
CharterJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #639
blybarg

Long time Charter customer in St. Louis. Recently bought Tivo 3 and had Charter install a CableCard, tech had never seen a Tivo 3 or installed a card in one. I guess being a Charter service tech, it's long hours and no time to keep up with current technology. Initially, he was scratching his head over why the card would not receive channels after relaying the codes to the mothership. He removed the card and re-installed. Bingo, everything worked, digital channels, movie channels, HD channels. Took him 10 minutes and he was gone. Tomorrow, I'm having a second card installed, I'm crossing my fingers this install goes well.
Can't say enough about the Tivo 3 box. Looking forward to replacing another Tivo 2 box when Tivo 3 box hits <$300.
blybarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #640
bk406

Why didnt you have both cards installed on the same truck run? That doesnt make sense to break it up over 2 days.
bk406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #641
blybarg

Couple reasons. One, I wasn't absolutely positive on Charter's card fees. Second, I didn't think the Tivo box would lose the dual tuner capability with only one card. My thought was I could have one tuner recieve all channels (CableCard) and the other tuner would still recieve analog channels (2-99). My mistake.

Didn't matter because the tech had only one card in the truck.
blybarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #642
joe warner

Waiting for CP Auth

Waiting for CP Auth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in the Fort Worth area and have Charter as my Cable provider and have Scientific Atlanta cable cards Model PKM600 (Power Key). the Authorization status on both cable cards (1&2) is "Waiting for CP Auth" (Settings>Remote, Cable Card, and Devices>Cable Card Decoder>Configure Cable Card (1 or 2)>Cable Card Menu>SA Cable Card CP Screen>. I've had Charter change out the cards several times (used at least 16 cards) and the same status appears as "Waiting for CP Auth". I've checked with the Headend and all their info shows the correct Host ID's CC numbers and shows that the cable cards are "Paired" (Authorization received", However my display still shows "Waiting for CP Auth". I receive all my channels both basic and premium. TiVo says the Cable Co. is doing something wrong but can not tell me what or what the correct procedure is to authorize the cards. I've understand that even though I am receiving all my channels (Basic & Premium) that at some point I will lose my premium channels when the cable Co and the cards pole the server at some point and see the cards are not authorized, the premium channels will quit working. Does anyone have any info or suggestions as what I should do.
TiVo has even changed out my Series 3 with a new one and still the same problem.
joe warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #643
muchmore

Charter in FT. Worth is WORTHLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe warner
Waiting for CP Auth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in the Fort Worth area and have Charter as my Cable provider and have Scientific Atlanta cable cards Model PKM600 (Power Key). the Authorization status on both cable cards (1&2) is "Waiting for CP Auth" (Settings>Remote, Cable Card, and Devices>Cable Card Decoder>Configure Cable Card (1 or 2)>Cable Card Menu>SA Cable Card CP Screen>. I've had Charter change out the cards several times (used at least 16 cards) and the same status appears as "Waiting for CP Auth". I've checked with the Headend and all their info shows the correct Host ID's CC numbers and shows that the cable cards are "Paired" (Authorization received", However my display still shows "Waiting for CP Auth". I receive all my channels both basic and premium. TiVo says the Cable Co. is doing something wrong but can not tell me what or what the correct procedure is to authorize the cards. I've understand that even though I am receiving all my channels (Basic & Premium) that at some point I will lose my premium channels when the cable Co and the cards pole the server at some point and see the cards are not authorized, the premium channels will quit working. Does anyone have any info or suggestions as what I should do.
TiVo has even changed out my Series 3 with a new one and still the same problem.
I was also a Charter customer in Fort Worth, TX and bought the S3 HD TiVo because I was tired of Charter's HD DVR (it missed recording shows, would record the same show multiple times, hard to use, etc.) and because I missed my old DirecTV HD TiVo. I tried for almost a month to get it working. The cable cards that Charter brought out to the install never worked, they were always used and never got past "updating the firmware" (probably because the cards were interrupted during firmware updates in the past that ruined the cards). Anyways, the final tally was that I got one card to work - but it never enabled all of the channels I subscribed to (it enabled a mix of basic and premium channels). Charter provided me with many different reasons why this was: they didn't support the TiVo, the cards were bad, they didn't have any other cards they could try, my account did not support cable cards, that Charter itself did not support cable cards, that no one knew how to install them, and on and on. Finally I just ended up returning my TiVo Series 3 HD.

I have gone back to DirecTV and am using my DTV HD TiVo, but soon it will no longer be able to provide me with HD content as DirecTV is moving to all MPEG4 for their HD channels, which the HR10-250 does not support. At that point my $1000 TiVo box becomes even less useless than a Series 2 since it does not have all of the same features and will only have SD content on it.

If only the Series 3 supported satellite or Charter could get their act together and support cable cards properly....

Muchmore
muchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #644
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchmore
If only the Series 3 supported satellite or Charter could get their act together and support cable cards properly....

Muchmore
I'm sure they'd love to, but they would need DirecTV or DishNetworks permission to make a Series3 type of TiVo work with satellite the same way it does with cable or OTA, that being recording a direct digital signal rather than re-encoding (which re-encoding HD signals is not a consumer electronics option at this time.... way too expensive), which is how all previous TiVo's worked.

Btw, it is Charter's fault, but it is also not a nation wide problem. Mine have been installed (Charter also & first visit) and running fine since September. You should really complain and complain loudly to the people at the local headend.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane

Last edited by Leo_N : 04-01-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #645
GadgetVirtuoso

Ok got the cablecards installed today, well partically. The cards work on all the channels except the premium channels. THe local HD channels work but channels Discovery HD and ESPN HD don't even though they aren't premium just part of the HD package.

They screwed up the other DVR during the install. The stupid dispatcher delted both DVRs from our account and no the one we have doesn't work either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Premier 4XL TiVo, TiVo Mini Apple TV, Roku in a Mac OS X Mountain Lion household.
GadgetVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #646
GadgetVirtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKritter
Ok got the cablecards installed today, well partically. The cards work on all the channels except the premium channels. THe local HD channels work but channels Discovery HD and ESPN HD don't even though they aren't premium just part of the HD package.

They screwed up the other DVR during the install. The stupid dispatcher delted both DVRs from our account and no the one we have doesn't work either.
A second clueless tech visit and then a 3rd phone call resolved the issue. They reprovisioned and paired the cards and suddenly everything is working! TiVo support said to tell them the cards need provisions and paired. It took a few minutes for the cable person on the phone to get the idea but finally it sunk in. After she redid the cards provisioning a few minutes later they worked. She tried to tell me it would take up to 15 mins so I had her wait with me. I wasn't about to go through explaining the whole problem again.

|
Premier 4XL TiVo, TiVo Mini Apple TV, Roku in a Mac OS X Mountain Lion household.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #647
GadgetVirtuoso

Just gotta love Charter. Now only one card is provisioned for the digital channels (except for the local HD which are 700 channels with the other HD channels).

Their latest line is that they have a software problem that they are working on but don't know when or if they'll be able to fix it.

I guess it's time to file a report with the FCC and our local franchise. Obviously I'm not getting up the supervisor chain very well otherwise.

|
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #648
Percipient

Well, might as well post my own CableCARD experience. The Charter cable guy just left after 3-1/2 hours, everything is working now, the 2nd card turned out to be bad, and figuring that out was what took him so long. Fortunately he brought a spare.

This was Charter's 2nd service appointment for CableCARDs. For the 1st appointment the cable guy was supposed to bring 2 cards, but he only brought 1. As near as I can figure out, they'd never heard of anyone needing 2 cards, so they figured it was an error and changed the work order to 1. And he didn't bring a spare.

The amazing thing about this first visit is that the Series 3 was still in box when the cable guy arrived. The installation people for the home theater system hadn't gotten that far yet, even though they'd arrived at 9 AM and it was now 2 PM. But I had the Series 3 out of the box and hooked up to an old portable TV in about 5 minutes. The cable guy had never been through a TiVo install before, but he read over the CableCARD Installer Instructions from TiVo and just mechanically went through it. The Series 3 didn't initially respond to inserting the card, but while he was calling his office to ask what to do the CableCARD page popped up. From there it was just a case of following the instructions. He left 5 minutes later, but we didn't bother checking all the channels.

The next day I realized the premium channels were missing, but a quick call to Charter turned them on.

If it hadn't been for the bad 2nd CableCARD, it would have been a breeze!

Next on my TiVo agenda: figuring out whether the Charter CableCARDs I have will allow me to add an external SATA drive.

--Percy
Percipient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #649
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percipient
Next on my TiVo agenda: figuring out whether the Charter CableCARDs I have will allow me to add an external SATA drive.

--Percy
The cablecards at this point do not matter, the eSATA port is currently disabled pending CableLabs approval (which we don't even know if Tivo has applied for yet, likely they will not apply until they are sure of approval)

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
--- Denny Crane
Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 AM   #650
GadgetVirtuoso

Finally after 7 service visits Charter finally has both cards working 100%. Today the tech replaced card 2 with the card in slot one and replaced card 1 with a new card since the first card was working. In total they switched out the cards 5 times. I find it hard to believe that 10 cards were bad but whatever as long as it's finally working now.

Still wish I knew what is so freaking hard about provisioning that second card in their system.

|
Old 04-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #651
cotton168

Congrats KrazyKritter on getting your cards working. It definitely is worth getting those cards working but I wished they could have done it the first time. I had the same problem getting Charter in my area to get the CCs working on my S3. They came about 5 times or so and it took one technician who knew about the S3s and CCs to finally get the cards to work.

Leo_N, it really would be nice to have the eSATA port working on the S3 because when we record in HD, it takes up so much space and since we don't have TiVotoGo, I'm just letting the recordings take up space on my S3. Getting both the eSATA port and TiVotoGo working would be very nice!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #652
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
Congrats KrazyKritter on getting your cards working. It definitely is worth getting those cards working but I wished they could have done it the first time. I had the same problem getting Charter in my area to get the CCs working on my S3. They came about 5 times or so and it took one technician who knew about the S3s and CCs to finally get the cards to work.

Leo_N, it really would be nice to have the eSATA port working on the S3 because when we record in HD, it takes up so much space and since we don't have TiVotoGo, I'm just letting the recordings take up space on my S3. Getting both the eSATA port and TiVotoGo working would be very nice!
I don't disagree on that, would be great to have both, was just saying the cablecards themselves don't have anything to do with not having the features.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
--- Denny Crane
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #653
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
I don't disagree on that, would be great to have both, was just saying the cablecards themselves don't have anything to do with not having the features.
Totally agree Leo_N. Since the features don't depend on the CCs, why not roll them out? I would love to just transfer my HD recordings onto my computer using TiVoToGo or putting it on an external eSATA drive to free up some room on my unit.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #654
rnowicki

Cable card and channels able to receive question

Hi,
I just received an offer from Charter for TV plus internet access for $28 per month. I called to ask about details, knowing it would cost more than that. The part of the conversation that stopped me cold was when I asked if the channels listed in the channel lineup as "HD Lifeline" and "Digital Lifeline" would come for free as part of either the "Expanded Basic" set or the "HDTV Digital Tier" that I do plan on ordering. This would be using a Series 3 Tivo instead of the Charter STB.

What the gal told me was that the HD Lifeline and Digital Lifeline channels were not available to cable card subscribers, only if I got an STB would I be able to get them. This seems incorrect to me as they are not PPV channels, but normal one way digital channels.

Here are the channels in question...

HD Lifeline: 781-787, Fox, CBS, NBC, CW, PBS, ABC which I assume are just my normal local HD channels

Digital Lifeline: 301-308, CSPAN2, NBC WeatherPlus, KTLA-DT2, ABC Digital Multicast, KABC-DT2 Weather

Can anyone who lives in the area (Pasadena, Ca) please confirm that a cable card configuration will or will not receive the above channels.

Thanks,
Robert
rnowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #655
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnowicki
What the gal told me was that the HD Lifeline and Digital Lifeline channels were not available to cable card subscribers, only if I got an STB would I be able to get them.
The 'gal' doesn't know what she is talking about. Keep calling back until you get someone who has a clue. The "HD Lifeline" will work with a cable card without having to pay for a special package. In most areas, those are just the channels that are unencrypted (local HD channels). Even the "Hi-Def Tier" and the "Hi-Def Premium" packages are supported by Charter's cable card.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #656
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnowicki
Hi,
I just received an offer from Charter for TV plus internet access for $28 per month. I called to ask about details, knowing it would cost more than that. The part of the conversation that stopped me cold was when I asked if the channels listed in the channel lineup as "HD Lifeline" and "Digital Lifeline" would come for free as part of either the "Expanded Basic" set or the "HDTV Digital Tier" that I do plan on ordering. This would be using a Series 3 Tivo instead of the Charter STB.

What the gal told me was that the HD Lifeline and Digital Lifeline channels were not available to cable card subscribers, only if I got an STB would I be able to get them. This seems incorrect to me as they are not PPV channels, but normal one way digital channels.

Here are the channels in question...

HD Lifeline: 781-787, Fox, CBS, NBC, CW, PBS, ABC which I assume are just my normal local HD channels

Digital Lifeline: 301-308, CSPAN2, NBC WeatherPlus, KTLA-DT2, ABC Digital Multicast, KABC-DT2 Weather

Can anyone who lives in the area (Pasadena, Ca) please confirm that a cable card configuration will or will not receive the above channels.

Thanks,
Robert
Hey Robert,

Seriously the lady does not know what she is talking about. We have the HD Tier at home and I have my S3 which gets all the wonderful HD channels. Try talking to someone else more competent. LOL BTW, I live in Monterey Park, CA so we are pretty close. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #657
John Slider

Charter tells me if I don't keep my Box and just use the cards I wont be able to access OnDemand or order Pay-Per-Views anymore, is this true? I only ask because usually they don't know what they're talking about, and when they do they just want to rack up a higher bill for me.

Thanks,
John
John Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #658
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slider
Charter tells me if I don't keep my Box and just use the cards I wont be able to access OnDemand or order Pay-Per-Views anymore, is this true? I only ask because usually they don't know what they're talking about, and when they do they just want to rack up a higher bill for me.

Thanks,
John
In this case, they are correct. Cable cards do not support OnDemand - it requires a set top box.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #659
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slider

Thanks,
John
You can still order PPV, but not ondemand. You can order PPV over the phone.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #660
rnowicki

Install set...

Install is set for tomorrow afternoon during a 1-3 window. With all the info from this thread things should be pretty smooth. Hope I don't jinx myself

Will post back later in the week with the results.

Robert
rnowicki is offline   Reply With Quote