TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #601
CharterJames
Digital Guru

The 161-4 error is normal - that is something that would have had me thinking we had a problem if it where not for the instructions the customer pulled off of the Tivo site.

I have no idea what it means, but apparently it's nothing to be concerned about.

One problem I know that affects the TIVO is how much pressure Techs are under (across all MSOs) to get in, fix it and get out. Many of them will check their signal levels, not see an obivious problem and blame the box / modem / hardware.

Course 95% or more of this equipment is fully functional and it will wind up a repeat trouble call. Things like occasional resets and specific channels causing unusual activity (like in my case jumping to the cable card screen) are hard to get resolved if they don't happen while the tech is there and if they can't find any other problem they tend to think it was just a bad box.

This isn't to say they don't know what they are doing, most of them know their craft very well - but like any other diagnostic (car mechanic, or in my case computer repair) often if you can't get the problem to happen, you can't figure out what's causing it.

My best suggestion on issues like that is to keep a notebook near your prefered viewing spot and track your issues, get times, dates and errors as well as what channel you where on when it happened. You may want to call Tivo first and see what they think about it, because our techs won't - They support the card, not the box, so if your box is doing something wierd about all they can do is check for obivious signal issues or change cards.

I'm learning alot about the "jumping to cable card status screen" issue now, Tivo is replacing the box again for the customer and I'm going to put two new cards in this box (as the old one started resetting randomly in additon to the cablecard error) and use the old one at my desk for a few days to see what I can find out - when and where it's happening. With luck I can narrow down the list of possibilities and find what is driving that TIVO crazy!

The biggest thing I can say about anything with a cable card is generally once it's up and running well, it tends to stay that way!

The views and opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.
CharterJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #602
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg
I had an unsuccessful Charter install attempt today in St. Louis. The tech was on the phone with people telling him "we don't offer TiVo, tell him to get a MOXI".

I finally got his supervisor out but by then the first guy had my box in a reboot loop. I was glad he was willing to try but if they would just work with the TiVo as a cablecard device and quit viewing it as something that dropped out of a UFO this wouldn't be so painful.
Is it still rebooting? If you've still got your cards in there drop me a PM and I can probably go into billing and send an init to it. Does it seem to happen at random or on specific channels?

I have a customer with a similar problem and they are replacing her TIVO, I'm going to take the old one and attempt to duplicate it, see if I can find out what's causing it

The views and opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #603
brentsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames
Is it still rebooting? If you've still got your cards in there drop me a PM and I can probably go into billing and send an init to it. Does it seem to happen at random or on specific channels?

I have a customer with a similar problem and they are replacing her TIVO, I'm going to take the old one and attempt to duplicate it, see if I can find out what's causing it
Nope, I tried but they wouldn't allow me to start billing and keep the cards. It reboots after like 15-30 minutes. Then I have to power cycle it with a decent amount of downtime to get it back up. I will try some of the suggestions here and let you know what happens.
brentsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #604
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Charter installer is here now. He started out following the TiVo instructions but when all the channels didn't come up on the first card he shoved the second card in too. It's been an hour now - no change. I heard him tell his supervisor that the second card was configured wrong - as a modem? - but it is still installed. He's calling for a cold initilization now. I really hope that fixes it.

I told him about the occasional problems with cable cards and that he might want to try a different one. Of course he doesn't have any more. At least he did bring two to start with and knew he would be working with a TiVo3.

He's been pacing back and forth for the full hour. I really hope he can get this working.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #605
CraigHB

The "Conditional Access" screen under the Cablecard menu can tell you what's going on. When a card is working right is shows;

Unit Address: [your unit address]
[more address numbers]
Encryption: DES
Connected:yes, EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
CA Enable: possible
ECM PID: [non zero]
Component PIDs:
[non zero] [non zero] [non zero]
0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
Host Validation: Unknown 00
Copy Protection Key: Disable
CCI: 0x00

When powering up the TiVo, the screen (card?) doesn't update/authorize until an attempt is made to tune a digital channel. My guess is the reboot problems some people are having may be related to head-end communication problems causing the card to remain in an unauthorized state. If I run into this problem myself, what I'll do is attempt to force card authorization manually before going to live TV. That can be done by tuning a digital channel from the "test channels" function (under the cablecard menus). It can take a few trys and you get "No Channels Available" until the card authorizes. I just tried this on my S3 which is working well right now (no reboot or tuning problems).

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #606
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Charter cable installer hung around for two hours waiting for the encrypted channels to show up (pacing the whole time). I'm getting some channels and not others. He finally gave up and left taking the cable card that thinks it's a modem card with him.

So after waiting two weeks for installation so I wouldn't have to take a day off work, now I have to take half a day off work on Monday so they can send someone else with new cable cards.

I asked him if he disconnected my Dish Network feed, since it is still operational and he said one of the three cables coming out of the wall should still have it. I figured I could plug it back in to my S2 TiVo and still get all my channels - but I've tried all the cables and none of them have a signal.

So the end result of today is loss of Dish Network/TiVo2 setup and partial Charter cable hookup to S3 with half the channels missing (including all the premium ones). At least he didn't blame the TiVo box for the problems.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #607
CraigHB

That's rough. I wouldn't have let the tech mess with my satellite wiring. My tech asked about it and I quickly said, "Don't worry about it, they're wired separately". I think he was all set to start stealing wires from the satellite system. I set them up that way on purpose so I can switch when I want. So far, I was on cable for a few years, then switched to satellite for a few years. Now I'm back on cable. Who knows, I may go back to satellite someday.

Your tech didn't do anythig right. He should have brought more than 2 cards. Then, he should have gotten the first slot working before attempting to mess with the 2nd slot. He should have used the second card on the first slot because the 1st one was probably bad. Maybe they were both bad. Sometimes, the office gets the numbers wrong when provisioning the card. The first thing the tech should have done was check the numbers the office entered then have them hit the card again. He should have reseated the card if it wasn't working after the 2nd hit. After that, he should have repeated the whole process with the other card in slot 1. At best, it takes only a few minutes and at worst, 15 or 20 minutes for the card to enable channel testing after it has been provisioned and hit. If the channels test, the card is working properly. You don't get the channels in the line-up until the cards work properly and you re-run guided setup. If he waited around for 2 hours, he was wasting his time and yours.

Hang in there. It will work. It's just unfortunate you got a bad tech who didn't know what he was doing and didn't bring any spares.

Charter Digital Cable
Old 02-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #608
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Hey CraigHB, thanks for the advice. I'll know better what to do when the new Charter tech comes on Monday.

When I called for installation, I did ask them to bring extra cards but he only brought two. He said he had set up cable for one S3 before and he specifically went over the installation process with his supervisor before he left the office. He also consulted with several levels of support while he was there, so I have to give him credit for trying. He didn't seem too open to my suggestions even after I told him about this website. Maybe he doesn't like to take tech advice from a female. He did hold off installing the second card for about 45 minutes but then his office asked him to try them both - so he did.

As to the technical aspects of the installation, as I was telling him the first card goes in the bottom slot, he was plugging it into the top slot. He then pulled it out and put it in the bottom slot and we got the cable card1 installed screen. We got channels as soon as we went to channels testing - just not the premium channels. It was at that point the two hours of waiting and calling and adding cards began. He left one card in the S3 and I did re-run guided setup again after he left. It didn't change anything.

I will be more proactive when the next guy shows up. I'd rather he be annoyed with me and have a successful install than go though two hours of staring at a grey screen. I'll keep your suggestions handy.

The good news is after another session of fiddling with cords I was able to get one of my Dish Network signals back (satellite 119 but not 110). So as of now I have partial Dish Network connected to my S2 and partial cable connected to my S3.

Last edited by ScubaCat : 02-11-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #609
CraigHB

I hear you. After reading many threads about people having problems with S3 and cable cards, I was a bit hesitant to drop my DirecTiVos. They do work really well, but I can't get HD with DirecTV without giving up TiVo and increasing my bill quite a bit. I'm still running one DirecTiVo in the bedroom. I think I'm about ready to take it offline now. The S3 has been running well since my CC install last week. I don't think most people are having problems with cablecards, but there are a lot of people having problems. There's definitely an early adopter factor with Series 3.

If you are getting most of the encrypted channels, the card is probably ok. It's a configuration problem on their end. There are lots of posts about this problem. Seems they almost always get worked out through some action on the cable provider's end. No need for the tech to hang around for hours and take a whole day off work for that.

Charter Digital Cable

Last edited by CraigHB : 02-11-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #610
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

...and the saga continues...
I took half a day off work today to wait for the Charter representative to bring new cable cards to fix my problem with not receiving encrypted channels (I'm only getting one or two out of about a dozen and I only have one cable card installed.). He was suppose to be here between 1 and 5 PM. I received a call shortly after 1 PM to confirm the appointment. It's now almost 7 PM and no one has come or called.

I just called the Charter help line and they said he might come up to 3 hours after the scheduled time - so that means I can't go anywhere this evening just in case he might show up. Charter went ahead and scheduled another appointment for Saturday. I can't keep taking days off work - especially if they are not going to show up. Of course, that means my Saturday is shot. Right now I'm kicking myself for giving the first guy a check for the first month's service. And the Charter tech support guy has the nerve to ask how I'm enjoying my Charter cable service!

Let's hope someone actually shows up for the next appointment.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #611
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat
Charter went ahead and scheduled another appointment for Saturday. I can't keep taking days off work - especially if they are not going to show up. Of course, that means my Saturday is shot. Right now I'm kicking myself for giving the first guy a check for the first month's service. And the Charter tech support guy has the nerve to ask how I'm enjoying my Charter cable service!

Let's hope someone actually shows up for the next appointment.
Be careful that they don't try to blow you off on Saturday. On one Saturday, I waited all day only to have the Charter service guy call at 4pm and tell me that they can't install cablecards on Saturdays because no one is working at the head end. The next Charter guy who came the following Tuesday told me this was a lie and that the guy probably just wanted to get home early.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #612
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass
Be careful that they don't try to blow you off on Saturday. On one Saturday, I waited all day only to have the Charter service guy call at 4pm and tell me that they can't install cablecards on Saturdays because no one is working at the head end. The next Charter guy who came the following Tuesday told me this was a lie and that the guy probably just wanted to get home early.
Thanks for the info. The first visit from Charter was on a Saturday and he had two (bad) cable cards with him, so I hope that won't happen here. I was offered the 8-12 time frame which I probably should have taken so maybe I could have been the first stop of the day. But, dang it, I don't want to get up early on a Saturday to accommodate these guys when they can't show up when I take time off work for them.

I would be a lot more patient with this process if the first guy hadn't messed up my Dish Network service - which I am still paying for and not getting. Well, I am getting some of it or I would cancel it immediately. I went through last night and deleted all the shows I had scheduled on my S2/Dish on channels I no longer receive (all locals and all premiums).
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #613
brigita
Ba-BOOP!

Seeking advice for Madison, WI install

Recently upgraded to a S3 and thought that the CC installation would be as easy as having the cards dropped off and plugged in. Clearly, I should have read this thread beforehand.

Unfortunately, all I can pull in are the OTA channels (regular and HD) as well as C-SPAN and the Spanish channels which is good but not great (read: The Mister wants his ESPN).

I'm looking for advice for the second run at getting TiVo up and running:
  • Do I need a technician to come to do the install properly or is it a matter of getting the right person on the phone?
  • If I do need a tech, can anyone recommend the name of a S3-savvy person with Charter in Madison, WI?
  • Does anyone have a better set of directions to give the tech than those that came with the S3 (or do those actually have enough detail for the average installer)?
  • Are there any buzz-phrases (like "cold initialization") I should have at the ready to help speed the process along?
Thanks in advance for any and all input!
brigita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #614
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Good luck brigita. My only advice is to read all the way through this thread, which you have probably already done. I'll be reading any replies you get with interest.

My saga continues....Today when I got home from work I had two messages on my answering machine from a Charter tech who apparently figured since he didn't show up yesterday he could just show up today. I pulled up caller ID and phoned him back - got his voice mail - and politely let him know my appointment was for yesterday NOT today and I did not stand him up. Clearly I just need to take a whole week off work to accommodate these guys if I ever want the cable service to work.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #615
CraigHB

They don't "drop off" the cards. A tech comes to install them, but I don't see why. It's just a matter of providing a few numbers to the office so the card can be "provisioned". Once the card is provisioned, they hit it (aka initialize it) from their end then it starts working. The numbers required are the s/n printed on the card and the ones shown on the pairing screen (the screen that the TiVo pops up after the card is inserted). I don't know, maybe they have some sort of problem with customers talking to the people that handle the cards. That would be good if they could get over that problem.

Charter Digital Cable

Last edited by CraigHB : 02-13-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #616
TBarclay3

I just moved to an area where satellite is not an option and Charter is the only cable company. Believe it or not, I was told that they had No DVR's available when I subscribed in early December (HD or otherwise) but I'd be put on a waiting list. After 2-and-a-half months, I got tired of waiting and went with the S3. I LOVE the box. But so far, the Charter cable card experience has been frustrating. I took an afternoon off from work yesterday for the install and I immediately sensed trouble when the technician (who arrived at the end of the window) said he hated installing cable cards because of the time it took to get them to work. He didn't want to follow Tivo's instructions and left before I could tell if they work. As you might expect, they didn't. I called Charter after he left to try to get the authorization process re-started (and to complain about the technician). Still no luck. I'm going to start over and call again tonight since I still have the two cable cards.
TBarclay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #617
czmt

First of all, I'd like to say that other than some unrelated problems, our S3 install went pretty well. However, I noticed that we aren't receiving our expanded basic (channels 100+) on cablecard 2. We are receiving the local HD channels, but not the others. Cablecard 1 is fine.

So I did a lot of research to find that maybe Charter did not have the proper Data number. I called them, but was dismayed to discover that they only have the Unit Number listed in their computer, but not the Data number or anything else. So I was told to take out the card and wait 30 sec and put it back in and reboot the Tivo. This didn't work. Do I just keep calling until I get a more knowledgeable person, or is there something else I can do on my end to get the channels working?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. I was kind of hoping that CharterJames might be able to assist me, since I live in his service area.
czmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #618
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Lucky for me the Charter guy actually shows up today which is an immediate improvement over the last appointment I had. I was waiting for him to bring new cable cards to try in my S3. He informed me as soon as he walked in the door that he didn't have ANY cable cards - the warehouse is closed on Saturday so there was no way for him to get them. So why on earth did they make an appointment?????!!!???

He rescheduled me for Monday. At that time it will be approximately three weeks since I first called requesting cable installation. I asked if I could pick up the cable cards myself and he thought that was a good idea. I asked if Charter would loan me a cable box until they could get the cable cards working and he thought that was a good idea too. However when he called in to make another appointment for me he didn't mention either idea to the main office. If it wasn't so painful it would be funny.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 AM   #619
CraigHB

Man, I'm starting to feel lucky I only needed one phone call and two cable guy visits to get my cards working.

Charter Digital Cable
Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #620
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigita
Recently upgraded to a S3 and thought that the CC installation would be as easy as having the cards dropped off and plugged in. Clearly, I should have read this thread beforehand.

Unfortunately, all I can pull in are the OTA channels (regular and HD) as well as C-SPAN and the Spanish channels which is good but not great (read: The Mister wants his ESPN).

• Do I need a technician to come to do the install properly or is it a matter of getting the right person on the phone?
  • If I do need a tech, can anyone recommend the name of a S3-savvy person with Charter in Madison, WI?
  • Does anyone have a better set of directions to give the tech than those that came with the S3 (or do those actually have enough detail for the average installer)?
  • Are there any buzz-phrases (like "cold initialization") I should have at the ready to help speed the process along?

Any progress? I live in Madison WI and had no issues with the install. A technician is not technically required but it's best to have one there to cover your butt. The directions have enough detail. The one thing to remember is that it can take a few minutes after you insert the card before it automatically shows the initialization screen. My tech guy refused to look at the instructions and kept going around in the cable card menu until it automatically showed after a few minutes.

When you say ESPN you mean regular ESPN? ESPN in HD is part of the HD Tier that costs $7. If you don't pay for the HD Tier (I didn't) you still get locals and premiums in HD, but not ESPN, TNT, etc.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #621
CraigHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmt
So I did a lot of research to find that maybe Charter did not have the proper Data number. I called them, but was dismayed to discover that they only have the Unit Number listed in their computer, but not the Data number or anything else. So I was told to take out the card and wait 30 sec and put it back in and reboot the Tivo. This didn't work. Do I just keep calling until I get a more knowledgeable person, or is there something else I can do on my end to get the channels working?
Unfortunatley, it seems the only thing customer service can do for you is "hit" the cards. They don't have access to the data used to provision them. Only the techs have access to the people who set up the cards so only a tech can check those numbers. If a card still doesn't work after getting a hit from the head-end, a tech has to come out. Best just to have the card replaced.

Charter Digital Cable
Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #622
kevindk

What type device should I tell them?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames
I'm catching up on some posts here, I hopped into this forum to find some answers on some issues some of my S3 customers had and have found alot of good information here.

2) "We don't have that box in our database"
Here's where a little information is a dangerous thing. Every digital system has a Digital Controller. Motorola systems call them DACs and I believe SA uses what's called a DNCS. Either way, this server controls the boxes and their ability to access programming. CableCards are set up in the controller like boxes. All a CableCard is a module with a Serial Number and MAC id burned into it so the controller has a verifible ID to decrypt signals (the technicial term is Conditional Access Module) Our boxes have to be listed on this server and have to have their firmwares loaded onto it. Other equipment only needs an Active cable card (and a cold initialization to "pair" the device)
[End quote]
I am getting some channels, but not others. In calling Charter, I found out they have me identified as having a Charter cable box with cable cards. They wanted the serial number from the box. I think this is the root cause of my problem.

What type device do I tell them to set it up as? Should I tell them to treat the device like a TV with a cable card?

I double checked the numbers they had on the cable card and host and they were correct, but they don't have a datapath number in their system. Again, I think I am set up with having an incorrect device.

BTW, all contact with Charter has been very cordial and polite. They are trying to help, but don't have the guidance on the setup.
kevindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #623
CharterJames
Digital Guru

[quote=kevindk]
Quote:

I am getting some channels, but not others. In calling Charter, I found out they have me identified as having a Charter cable box with cable cards. They wanted the serial number from the box. I think this is the root cause of my problem.

What type device do I tell them to set it up as? Should I tell them to treat the device like a TV with a cable card?

I double checked the numbers they had on the cable card and host and they were correct, but they don't have a datapath number in their system. Again, I think I am set up with having an incorrect device.

BTW, all contact with Charter has been very cordial and polite. They are trying to help, but don't have the guidance on the setup.
Let them know it's a cablecard device and your not getting all your channels -
They should have the cable card serial numbers, if they press for more let them know it's a TIVO Series 3 box that uses cablecards and ask if they can have a technician come out to check your signal levels.

Chances are you will be warned you may incur a trouble call fee. I'm not sure entirely of the rules now, but in general if there's an issue with customer equipment that is not caused by our equipment / lines / signal then you may incur this cost. Generally this would apply if say you can't get on the internet, but your modem is up and running fine.

In checking your channels are you seeing an entire tier or package missing or just some specific channels?

I also strongly recommend if the technician doesnt' spot a problem to request one of our boxes be put in temporarly so you can see if it's happening with our equipment - if it is then there should definitely be a signal issue, if not if may well be something going on with TIVO.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #624
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigita

Shoot me an email at Jdoster@chartercom.com and I can see if I can locate their tech supervisor up there, I linked earlier to the instructions on the TIVO website, they are pretty good. And most sites won't give out cablecards, so a tech will have to come out to insert the cards.

Also catching up on other posts, if both cards are inserted too soon, it does appear a cold init should get them going

Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #625
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Updating Status oF channel issues

Well, here we go - updating the issue I've been working on -

My customer has been dilligently working with TIVO, as the box is locking up and resetting for her in the evenings. There is nothing I've ever seen in cablecard specs that would cause this from our end.

While on the phone with TIVO friday night with me there they said they did not support Mediacypher cards and that I needed Motorola "s" cards. Here's the catch there. I think they freaked when they heard her say the cards say "Mediacypher-M" because they thought they where Multistream cards (once these cards are availible you can use only 1 because they handle multiple streams of video) however the same person on the phone with me earlier said they supported the new M cards and I was saying I'd have to try one in her box once we got them... "MediaCypher" is moto's brandname for cablecards, that's been their name since day one in the moto world.

Then as I find out this guy is one of their best s3 techs, I find out he's had no experience with a motorola based headend/DAC equipment and really doesn't know much about them (This is like having a PC guy troubleshoot a Macintosh...)

We had to go through the guided setup and the box would not get the channel data update in a timely manner from the new cards which were in a tech status (which are authorized for all normal encrypted channels and should have worked fine) they also happened to be on the latest firmware we had.

I went back to her old cards and by then my laptop battery died... Like a doof I left my power cable at home (I had been on vacation and but promised the customer I'd come out when she got her replacement box from TIVO)

I managed to get one of my co-workers to send a cold init and the channels came up and it behaved as it's been for a while.

Update on that behavoir
701 - 703 will go to the cable card screen when tuned. If you clear you can watch the channel, but it will go there each time like clockworks. as of Friday the music choice (also unencrypted) did it too.

I checked the encryption and CCI settings and the S3 was getting a 0x02 whereas my DCT6416 would get a 0x00. I went into my DAC and changed the channel settings from "Externally Defined" to NO Encryption/NO CCI.

Now, for every other card enabled equipment it knows if the channel isn't encrypted to let the box tune. For some reason TIVO only tunes to cable channels when there's an enabled cable card.

At this point I added 701-703 to a new package in the system and put them on the cards... it should be acting like any other (encrypted) channel, I'm not even letting TIVO assume it's encrypted because I'm sending it an authorization now...

Per last customer's email - no change.

I'm going to hit some ppl in our labs as well as some contacts I made in TIVO's labs. I have grown to like the tivo interface, but it seems like they are overcomplicating their tuners and authorization mechanisms.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #626
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

...and the saga FINALLY comes to a successful conclusion...
On the fourth Charter tech visit he shows up on time, has two cable cards in his hand and they both work! Yaaaa! He was here less than twenty minutes and had both cards installed and working. What a difference a functioning cable card makes!

I did see error 161-4 a few times after he left while I was re-running guided setup. That spooked me. But right now all the channels appear to be working. Sweet!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #627
CharterJames
Digital Guru

161-4 I've learned is generated when we send the initialization to the box - Part of the initialization command is a reset for the cable receiver - cablecard cannot execute that command since it's only a conditional access module, most equipment ignores the reboot part - TIVO does an internal reset and generates that error to let you know it was forced to reset.

Essentually the 161-4 is an acknowledgement of the initialization command (at least in a motorola system)

Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #628
kevindk

I was not receiving entire tiers, but Charter stated they were turned on.

I came home tonight and my channels were all there! Last night when attempting a cold init, I got the 161-4 error for the first time. Reading your latest post tells me that the card finally reset the TIVO. All settings in the "conditional access" are now reading correctly.

I don't know if the last cold hit was what did it, but it works now and I'm going to cancel the technician visit for Wed.

BTW, the technician did check all signal levels and attached a Charter digital box to see that all signals were being received. So I knew it had to be a settings issue.

Thanks for the response.
kevindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #629
czmt

i've made several calls to charter the past few days, and they keep hitting the card that's not getting all the channels and telling me to take the card out and restart the tivo, but no one seems willing to do a cold init. on the conditional access screen it says that the card is not enabled by the cable provider, but they say everything is looks right. i guess i'm going to call back today to get a tech to come out.

at least one of my cards is getting all of the channels, but inevitably it records stuff with the other card.

i'm also noticing that the abc hd channel (wsoc) is kind of choppy and the audio sometimes doesn't match up. the picture is beautiful and the other hd channels are great, though.
czmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #630
pbrass

As a funny side note to difficulties with Charter: I lost access to all digital channels on one of my CC's (channels > 99). I called Charter for help with this and they informed me that a tech would need to be dispatched. I explained that this shouldn't be necessary and that they should be able to reset the card via remote (which is exactly what a tech on site would call in to have them do anyway). The CSR checked with a "specialist" who told her that the only thing they could do would be to "hit" the card. However, that could "fry" my card and "they would not be responsible for that." I asked to speak to a supervisor at that point. I got absolutely no where with him either. I gave up and hung up before I lost my mind.

Figuring things couldn't be made worse, I went through Guided Setup again, and during CC setup, removed, waited, and reinserted the problem CC. While NO channels showed up on that CC for 5-10 minutes after reinsertion, I went ahead and let Guided Setup do its thing anyway.

By the time it was finished, both CC's were working just fine.

I really don't like Charter's phone support. They are way too quick to require a tech to be dispatched. On a professional level, I deal with 3 other Cable companies and while none of them has what I would term "good" customer support, Charter's is far and away the worst.

Sorry for the rant... just wanted to share.
pbrass is offline   Reply With Quote