TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #571
kduerr

Problem in CT

The original install took a long time (not too mention the obligatory 2 week wait since they didn't have cards in stock) but it eventually worked perfectly.

Since then, I have the problem much discussed here about the Premium and HDTier channels going out. "Channel Not Available" is the only message. I have 2 cards in the S3 and 1 card in the Toshiba LCD (for POP purposes). All cards are exhibiting the same behavior. If I unplug everything and let it reset the channels initially come back. However, as soon as I change channels or tuners the same problem comes back.

I called and asked for a hit, but the tech (though very nice) didn't seem to no the difference between a CC hit and STB hit. He put me on hold and called his helpdesk. Then he tried a "different" hit. Still nothing. So he took the easy way out and scheduled a tech visit. Since these same cards worked for the last 2 weeks, I have little hope that the tech visit will yield any results.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I'm in the Western CT (Newtown) region.
kduerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #572
timebeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebeing
I got my S3 tivo around early Dec.

Called Charter (Burbank, ca) late at night. Talk to someone for about 45mins. Had issues with the computer with me only having 1 TV but needing 2 cable cards and a Cable Box (for on-demand) but they got a Tech guy and worked it out, Waived the installation fee.

Tivo was getting all TV just fine with just the digital cable plugged into it, but just not my HBO.

Sent someone out next day, and installed it quickly with no problems, said it was his 3rd Tivo that day (just did a house with 3 S3s)

Flash forward 30days. New HD TV shows up. Call Charter tell them to give me the HD channels, and everything goes in the toilet. My cable goes in and out, and the only way to get it back is to reboot the tivo. 3 calls back and they get it fix, but I still get Cable card errors on 3 specific HD Channels but everything else is working fine and staying on. Guy comes out next week to try and fix those 3 channels.
Update. Guy came out swapped out both cable cards for OLDER versions he had and it fixed the problem i get all my HD now.
timebeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #573
bernmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
This is such a crock of sh*t! They are required by law to support ANY device that is certified for use with CableCARDs by CableLabs. all them back and tell them if they refuse to install the cards in the TiVo your next call will be to the FCC.

You might also try calling the TiVo help line and seeing if they will get involved on your behalf.

Dan
I'm confused. I had a technician booked by the Irwindale office install two cable cards in my TiVo a couple of weeks ago without complaint and without complication. My son (who is a lawyer) assured me just in case that the FCC does indeed require them to install them.

What's going on, I wonder? Sounds like someone in the Irwindale Office was spoiling for a p*ssing contest!
bernmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #574
rkdahl

Charter cable card install update....

Pre-Install

So as it turns out, so far at least, my telephone request to have the Charter cable guy come out and install two cable cards in my TiVo took LONGER than the actual install! As noted a few posts above I spent almost an hour on the phone talking to the Charter corporate escalation center and the charter call center in Vancouver who insisted till their last breath that they do not support TiVo's. And then I call a guy from Charter's Rochester, MN center took less than 5 min to set up an appointment!

Lesson learned: when you have an agent from Charter that will not schedule an install Cable Cards in your TiVo. Immediately get their manager involved and call the Charter Corporate Resolution Center 866-212-1063 and share your story. Then get an agent that will schedule it cause it IS in fact supported.

Install
So today the Charter installer, Greg, gets here on time as promised at 08:45am. He has never done a TiVo Series3 he says...I start worrying. But in his next breath he says "No problem, we'll get this up and running!" Nice.

So I show him the TiVo, how it has 2 slots, I share that there have been a lot of issues around the country with this, and that I have printed some updated install instructions that may help. He says.."OK Great, lets do it!" I really like this guy!

We put in Card 1, we wait a few minutes and the MMI screen pops up. So far so good. At this point, he really wanted to put in card to so he only had to do one call, but after we chatted a few minutes he agrees, we better do one at a time. So he calls tech support, reads the info, and we wait. Not sure how long to wait so we agree on 4 minutes. We get 161-4 error, no problem, ignore. Then at the 4 min mark we check. All channels basic, premium and HD work fine! Cool!

OK onto card #2, same process, call tech support, exchange info, then we get two 161-4 errors. Hmmm...weird, but we don't panic yet. We wait 4 minutes and then check Card 2 channels. Everything is there just like card 1. So everything works!

Time from him walking in the door to right now? 40 minutes!!!

Greg completes the paperwork. Meanwhile I'm going through guided setup on the TiVo. We both finish up and he takes my Moxi and another STB I don't need. He walks out the door less than an hour after he got here.

He was a great Charter install guy, the best I've ever had. And everything so far is working wonderful!

Good luck with yours!

Last edited by rkdahl : 01-29-2007 at 10:54 PM.
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #575
CharterJames
Digital Guru

CableCards and Charter

I'm catching up on some posts here, I hopped into this forum to find some answers on some issues some of my S3 customers had and have found alot of good information here.

I'd also like to clear up a few points

1) "We don't support TIVO"

As a general rule we only support our equipment and lines. When it comes to CableCard enabled equipment (usually TVs, but the S3 clearly falls into that category) we are not trained by the manufacturer, we do not get any updates or firmwares to keep their equipment current and we are not even given basic specifications for what signal levels the equipment prefers.

We are required to support CableCard and we do, however all that means is we set up the CableCard in our system, activate it, and hook it to the line. Any errors, all setup and configuration etc falls on the user.

This is the same thing with VCRs, Computers etc. In the past, we would not have any problem making connections to VCRs etc because those devices were pretty simple and stright-forward, however now they are much more complex. A field technicians job is to get your signal quality within CableLabs specs.

Most call center people will say "we don't support that" because they won't know anything about how to work it, many installers and techs will as well. As such you'll need to know how to work your equipment.

2) "We don't have that box in our database"
Here's where a little information is a dangerous thing. Every digital system has a Digital Controller. Motorola systems call them DACs and I believe SA uses what's called a DNCS. Either way, this server controls the boxes and their ability to access programming. CableCards are set up in the controller like boxes. All a CableCard is a module with a Serial Number and MAC id burned into it so the controller has a verifible ID to decrypt signals (the technicial term is Conditional Access Module) Our boxes have to be listed on this server and have to have their firmwares loaded onto it. Other equipment only needs an Active cable card (and a cold initialization to "pair" the device)

For a smooth install here's what I recommend

1) Pre-work
If you have any obivious signal issues (tileing on one of our digital boxes, bad picture on analog etc) go ahead and get that taken care of

2) The install
Call in and request an install for 2 cable cards. You don't have to tell them what it's for, any customer server person should assume it's for a TV (most don't realize there are other equipment that can use them yet) If you do tell them, let them know you only need the cards to be installed. If they say "We don't support TIVO" let them know TIVO supports cablecard and you want to get two cable cards. If they give you any more problem request a supervisor.

The easier route is to deal with the local office if at all possible. I work for Charter, I take pride in my job, but I have not only heard customer complaints about the call center, I've had bad experiences myself. I personally do not believe the customer is best served by people who are graded on how many calls they answer, not how many they RESOLVE. On the other hand, most the time if you go to the local office they will either have or know someone who can answer your questions. We don't give cards out at the office (because of all the difficulty we have in getting them to work) but we can schedule someone to come out for you.

3) print this page
http://customersupport.tivo.com/TiVo...s_Content.html

Most installers and technicians should be able to follow this without a problem.

4) be ready, willing and able to work the remote and navigate the menus for the Tech / installer. If they are not familar with TIVO it will probably go easier if you're driving. Again, we aren't trained how to use these boxes and most of us haven't used one ever.

If everything is done right, the card should pair up after a cold initialize passes through the system to the TIVO. Most people have to do this from the Billing system so it may take as long as 30 minutes under the worst computer traffic situations. Generally it should take less than 5.

5) After the install -
If you lose a single channel of a package (or a few, but not all) try to get someone to Cold Initialize your cable cards first. sometimes this will fix it.
Most cards don't need this, but some card/box combinations tend to lose their authorization.

If the cold doesn't fix it ask for a trouble call - usually a single channel or several channels indicate a signal issue. Especially HD. HD's and Analogs are the first to show bad signal.

Snow, pixlation, tileing (little blocks usually black) and most audio issues directly with the TV (not getting stereo sound on a stereo transmission, most HDs have dolby...) are often caused by signal, though I've seen issues with some TVs that will not pass Digital audio out their optical (I have one such TV) which is more specific to that hardware than the signal coming out the box.

Worst case senerio - if your getting an unusual problem signal wise, ask them to put a box on just see (temporary) if it's duplicated on the box - if it is, the tech should have no issue fixing it. If it's not, you may have to do some digging to see why the S3 would require better signal specs than our boxes. (becase if they are in line with Cablelabs, they should not.)

Some boxes (read MOXI) are pickier than others, I will say that. I've yet to really experiment with an S3 (looking forward to it!) I will say I'm definitely fond of the Motorola DCT6416 (especially compaired to the Motorola/Moxi BMC 9012)

Btw - Motorola has quit making moxi boxes and it's my understanding that Digeo is going to be releasing CableCard moxi boxes to the masses. The expected price is somewhere between $800 to $1000. Personally, unless they put much better analog and digital tuners in the boxes (and unless they speed up the interface and cut the fan noise!) I wouldn't give $200 for one. - but soon S3 won't be the only mainstream cablecard DVR (I think a few other companies make them, but they aren't major names.)

It's also my understanding that Windows Vista is supposed to have CableCard support, but I don't have any real dirt on that.

The point being, alot of people would like to sweep cablecard under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist. Personally I know it's a tech support nightmare, however I also know it fits a need and they aren't going to go away. Even new TVs without cablecards are being built with a QAM tuner to allow for receiving of unencrypted digital channels (often the digital PBS networks, Local HDs and the digital music stations are unencrypted).

I would love to see a day with java based interactive services that can load on any box / intergrated TV with a card... and it's actually been something that's been in the works forever (even old DCTs have a slot for a Conditional Access Module) - it's just a matter of bridging the gaps.

Unfortunately between now and then there's a bumpy road and a very badly written roadmap!

The views and opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.
CharterJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #576
MasterCephus

I would just like to say that I got my cablecards installed this past Saturday and it was the easiest thing. The guy came and left within 20 minutes. He said I was the 2nd one he had installed.

He was very professional, didn't get into long conversations, he was there to do a job and he did a great job. Once he left, I finished the setup and had all the channels I was supposed to have, and the picture was awesome.

EDIT:

Let me also say that this was the BEST technician I have ever had. I have had people come to look at fixing my internet being down and ask "What's a network?" and when I got my moxi box, I asked the guy if he had installed cablecards on a Tivo and he replied "What exactly is a cablecard?"

I was about to the point to just get rid of cable alltogether, but this guy gave me hope for charter again
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #577
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCephus
I was about to the point to just get rid of cable alltogether, but this guy gave me hope for charter again

Good To Hear!!!
I'd like to think more often than not our techs will be curious and interested in finding out and resolving customer problems or already knowledgable about them. I know when I did Pipeline HSD support our attitude was if we don't know, we'll find out!

While there's always "bad apples" in the bunch I definitely encourage customers to let their local office know about install and trouble call problems as that's the only way we know who's doing their job and who isn't!

I actually hit the goldmine on TIVO information as some TIVO technicial support staff saw some of my posts and emailed my personal email, so I'm getting a great crash course on what's going on there.

I was also very happy to find out they do have a test headend to duplicate what we have here in the field and I started comparing notes to see what I can do here to make the s3 run better for my customers (as well as passing along my findings to other Charter Systems)

The views and opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #578
haysdb

My Charter install went very well also. This was the beginning of last week. I asked my guy if he had done Tivo's before, and he said "sure," as if it were a normal part of his day.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #579
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysdb
My Charter install went very well also. This was the beginning of last week. I asked my guy if he had done Tivo's before, and he said "sure," as if it were a normal part of his day.
I got a call from one of our installers a few months ago who was freaking out about it and I told him "should work just like any other cable card device" one card didn't work out and I'm thinking now it's probably the firmware that was on the card. Stayed pretty quiet here until this recent one and that was after I advised them how it should work... so I think it was a matter of people not following the instructions TIVO has (which when my customer showed them to me I was already jotting down the URL *L*)

I'd like to think they are more mainstream. Makes me wonder how hard it is for people with Sony and other non-TIVO cablecard enabled DVRs...

Know anyone willing to part with any cablecard based equipment (tivo or not) on the cheap? I've got to get something so I can play with this more!

(course my wife will KILL me if I bring home another DVR... I've already got a Digeo Moxi (Motorola) BMC 9012 and a Motorola DCT6416)

Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #580
DLSDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames
Btw - Motorola has quit making moxi boxes and it's my understanding that Digeo is going to be releasing CableCard moxi boxes to the masses. The expected price is somewhere between $800 to $1000. Personally, unless they put much better analog and digital tuners in the boxes (and unless they speed up the interface and cut the fan noise!) I wouldn't give $200 for one. - but soon S3 won't be the only mainstream cablecard DVR (I think a few other companies make them, but they aren't major names.):
I have a Moxi via Charter and am considering a T3. There has been a heated debate specifically in regards to your assertion above over at the Moxi site here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=412846

With Charter passing out 3416's instead of Moxi's we assumed the Moxi was being phased out by Charter.

But a Diego rep named "MoxiGuy" confidently indicates otherwise

Please join us over at the Moxi thread and offer your viewpoint.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DLSDO : 02-01-2007 at 04:19 PM.
DLSDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #581
DLSDO

Hi,
I am a member at avsforum and need 5 posts before I can link above. Please allow me to post a few messages so I can edit the link in above.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #582
DLSDO

Any prior Moxi charter customers with T3 care to share the benefits of the T3 over the Moxi?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #583
bubba1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO
Any prior Moxi charter customers with T3 care to share the benefits of the T3 over the Moxi?
I definitely notice the additional disk space. Haven't filled up the Tivo yet. No veritcal blue line through some of the SD programming that I got on Moxi. In my area Charter doesn't carry ABC HD and are currently fueding over CBS HD. The ability to record OTA for those two is terrific.
bubba1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #584
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972
In my area Charter doesn't carry ABC HD and are currently fueding over CBS HD. The ability to record OTA for those two is terrific.
There's been increasing fueds betwen networks, largely over money... most the reasons alot of MSOs are in debt is how much we have to pay to retransmit their feeds. This is often why we'll carry several networks from one group - because like shopping at Walmart, you get a better price per channel when you buy the package. I've made a point of not saying any media groups as I don't want to be blamed for bad blood or smear tactics.

In the past there were must carry rules that stated that if a broadcaster was in our service area then we must-carry them. As Digital and HD first came in, the law wasn't changed. They've recently been updated and as I understand it must carry is only for one feed (if it wasn't done away with) - The result is many Broadcast networks feel they should get money just like CNN and ESPN for their broadcasts... While on one hand I can see their point... the other they *ARE* broadcasting them Over the Air where customers can pick them up for free.

So as it stands... why should a customer have to pay for HD ABC, HD FOX, HD NBC, HB CBS? The answer is, they really shouldn't. We don't feel we can justify the rate increase that such a payoff would cause... people already complain enough about their rates, why charge them for something they can get with a pair of rabbit ears? As far as I know, we are willing to work with them, carry additional networks so that their digitals can reach people who can't get Digital OTA, swap Adversting time, but lately it seems our lawyers Vs theirs in trying to negotiate a deal... and they want cash and we are trying not foist that on our customers. Personally I hate these fueds because in the end the person hurt the most is the customer.

I know here it's NBC - ABC and CBS are both good2go... there's been a DirectTV campain that is claiming that Charter doesn't have CBS HD and therefore won't have the SuperBowl in HD, switch to Direct TV today. Which is false becase we WILL have CBS in HD superbowl Sunday. I hate Direct's smear tactics, I used to sell them and before digital cable took off, there was no comparison. Now, it's pretty much chocolate and vanilla... I can rattle off advantages of Cable and Sat... and in honest truth both cost about the same.... Now it's down to PPV packages, DVRs and features like VOD (and if you can get and keep the Local HDs)

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #585
DLSDO

Quote:
I definitely notice the additional disk space. Haven't filled up the Tivo yet. No veritcal blue line through some of the SD programming that I got on Moxi. In my area Charter doesn't carry ABC HD and are currently fueding over CBS HD. The ability to record OTA for those two is terrific.
Are you able to easily adjust the output resolution of the T3 down to 480i? I like to send my HD on the Moxi @ 480i to my DVD recorder for archiving
Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #586
DLSDO

Quote:
The ability to record OTA for those two is terrific.
This is a major advantage!!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #587
DLSDO

Quote:
:
I edited my post above with a direct link.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #588
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO
Are you able to easily adjust the output resolution of the T3 down to 480i? I like to send my HD on the Moxi @ 480i to my DVD recorder for archiving
You don't need to adjust that. It is always outputting at 480i out of the composite and S-Video out I believe. Note, you may however want to change aspect mode depending on what you are archiving. This is easily done with the aspect button on the remote, it cycles through the 3(I think it's 3, haven't checked lately) settings.

If you do wish to use the component outs, then yes it is pretty easy to switch resolution also.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #589
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
You don't need to adjust that. It is always outputting at 480i out of the composite and S-Video out I believe.
You are quite correct on that - So far it's been my experience with every DVR, Cable and Dish Box that (if it as) the coaxial out it's in Standard Def (420i) the RCA and S-Video are SD as well. The Composite can handle HD in Analog and most Digital outputs (DVI and HDMI) are encrypted to prevent copying.

Most companies are under pressure from the MPAA to encrypt digital outputs but as far as I know it's pretty darn hard to encrypt the Analog.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #590
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
You are quite correct on that - So far it's been my experience with every DVR, Cable and Dish Box that (if it as) the coaxial out it's in Standard Def (420i) the RCA and S-Video are SD as well. The Composite can handle HD in Analog and most Digital outputs (DVI and HDMI) are encrypted to prevent copying.

Most companies are under pressure from the MPAA to encrypt digital outputs but as far as I know it's pretty darn hard to encrypt the Analog.
I think you mean the component can handle HD in analog. The composite=RCA.

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #591
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Red face Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
I think you mean the component can handle HD in analog. The composite=RCA.
I probably should have been more specific in saying Composite (YPbPr) and Component (RCA) I do appologize, I'm a bit "old school" in my usage.

In the days before HD the RCAs were refered to as Component inputs, some manufacturing groups will refer to RCA still as Component (as I do, as most the ones I've worked with often call them that)

Before HDTV, high end Video Monitors used similar cabling (but with old BNC ends) to carry video information over several connections - this was generally called Composite Video and the Term was often used in the HD world.

I've seen manufacturers use them interchangably, and I tend to keep my usage "old school" though your usage is more common (and accurate) with current equipment.

Here's a good page on the different connections (Which uses Leo's more modern terminolgy)

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/howto-dvi-hdmi.html

I'd also like to add another Mea Culpa on here. I've often used the term DCT to describe the Motorola cable receivers - their model names generally start with DCT (Digital Cable Terminal) - I've recently noticed with looking up some things on Windows Vista and CableCard usage that ATI has created a "Digital Cable Tuner" i.e. "DCT"

Please assume on any posts you see from me if I say DCT I'm refering to a Motorola Cable Receiver - more than likely a DCT2000 / 2500 / 5200 / 6200 /6208 or 6416. There's also the DCP501... but we don't talk about that one too much...

Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #592
r11roadster
High templar

Has Universal HD gone off the basic package? I can't tune it and a friend with a box gets not authorized, or is there some issue in upstate SC? the rep on the line seemed clueless.
r11roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #593
DeathRider

Quote:
I probably should have been more specific in saying Composite (YPbPr) and Component (RCA) I do appologize, I'm a bit "old school" in my usage.

In the days before HD the RCAs were refered to as Component inputs, some manufacturing groups will refer to RCA still as Component (as I do, as most the ones I've worked with often call them that)

Before HDTV, high end Video Monitors used similar cabling (but with old BNC ends) to carry video information over several connections - this was generally called Composite Video and the Term was often used in the HD world.
I think you got them backwards...

Composite = RCA;

Component = YPbPr

DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #594
CharterJames
Digital Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11roadster
Has Universal HD gone off the basic package? I can't tune it and a friend with a box gets not authorized, or is there some issue in upstate SC? the rep on the line seemed clueless.
As far as I know Universal is supposed to be part of the HD Tier in all markets

I know it went in there immediately for us - here in Hickory the HD tier has Discovery HD, ESPN HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, TNT HD and Universal HD. I've heard that we are looking to add a few more in the near future as well as getting commitments in line so we can start carrying the Cinemax and Starz HD feeds. Like HBO and Showtime, the Cinemax and Starz HD channels will be included with the subscription to thier premium tiers.

Generally the Local HDs (Networks +PBS) are all "basic HD" and are not encrypted (When you get HD your paying for the box, not the local HDs) these channels are "Open QAM" as others like to put it (We usually say "in the clear" or simply unencrypted.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #595
r11roadster
High templar

Quote:
As far as I know Universal is supposed to be part of the HD Tier in all markets
Well crud I liked that channel but not enough to pay for it. maybe when they add some more to the lineup it will be worth the extra $$
r11roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #596
CharterJames
Digital Guru

I hear you on that one... Discovery HD is my main reason I'm willing to pay for it, though The HD nets occasionally have something good on. though currently I let it slide as I'm just not willing to pay for channels I can only *really* enjoy in one room of the house too... (they look good on non-hd TVs using a box that can decode the HD signal to 420i, however I don't want to pay extra for HD boxes in the kids' rooms as well as my bedroom.)

Now, once I slowly phase out all my TVs for either Cablecard enabled HD LCDs or put a HD dvr in each room... then I'll consider it *L*

Old 02-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #597
trippank

Just had Charter do my install in Birmingham, AL. Guy showed up early and had to wait on me. He said he had done one other S3 install in Dec '06. After inserting the 1st card, it said updating firmware. After 5 minutes, the info including the Host Id popped up. Called the 800 number. The Customer Support Agent said she preferred that we talked to Megan, as she was the most experienced with the Tivos. After being transferred, Megan hit the card, and there are my channels in HD glory. Inserted the second card. No firmware update needed on this one. She hit the card and ,Boom, there it is.
He did say he was glad Tivo had the instruction page for the installer ready to go. It just reinforced what he knew to do. It definitely helps for the owner familiar with Tivo's menus to work the remote.
I had ordered them in the beginning of January though. Scientific Atlanta cards were used and they were out when I originally called.
Very pleased with the install. The installer was knowledgeable with the cards, but uncomfortable working the remote. Took 50 minutes for the total install. I had to go back to work after, but I cant wait to get back home and watch HD on my S3.

Tripp
Birmingham, AL
trippank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #598
CraigHB

I didn't get it done on the first go. The tech told me Charter wouldn't release more than 2 cards. So, the tech came armed with only 2. I had a feeling this would be more than a one day operation at that point.

The person at the office was clueless about how to set up cable cards and took a long time to get the first one entered into the system. The first card initially came back with a 161-1 error. The tech reseated the card and had the office hit it again then it seemed to work right. All the channels show up correctly when running through them using the "test channels" option. I haven't seen that error again so I'm assuming it's okay.

The second card was recognized and did not produce any errors, but would not decode any of the digital channels. When trying to test channels, it just said "no channels received". The tech is coming back today to try another card. I sure hope this gets done today.

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #599
CraigHB

The tech supervisor showed up, popped in a new card and had it working in all of a half hour. My problem was the #2 card was defective. He didn't bother trying to reprovision the old one since he said they get a lot of cards that just don't work.

That error I was getting is 161-4, not 161-1. It did appear again when the 2nd card got its hit from the office. The tech super wasn't too concerned about it. As long as it doesn't come back, I'm not going to get too concerned about it either. All the channels are working on both tuners and that's the main thing.

The tech super was getting impatient and I had to convince him to give things more time. It can take several minutes for the pairing screen to appear after the card is inserted. He was getting all set to reseat the card when the screen finally showed up. It can also take a while for the card to start working after it's been provisioned and hit by the office. I offered him a soda and talked for a while before actually testing channels. Getting the cards up is a slow process which makes things more difficult. I'm very pleased it's behind me now and hopefully, I won't have to deal with cablecards again.

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #600
brentsg

I had an unsuccessful Charter install attempt today in St. Louis. The tech was on the phone with people telling him "we don't offer TiVo, tell him to get a MOXI".

I finally got his supervisor out but by then the first guy had my box in a reboot loop. I was glad he was willing to try but if they would just work with the TiVo as a cablecard device and quit viewing it as something that dropped out of a UFO this wouldn't be so painful.

Last edited by brentsg : 02-08-2007 at 07:59 PM.
brentsg is offline   Reply With Quote