TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #511
johnwillo

This is copied from a note I sent another local user. The first time that they showed up, they brought no cable cards. It took eight days to get them back. The tech was willing to work with TiVO's instructions.

we followed the instructions TiVo provided, and it went fine. About five minutes each for the cable card activation to take effect. We did get the error (I forget which one, but it ends in a '4') that others have reported, but that seems to be a sign that the cable card is connecting successfully. Just happened at initial set up. Off air antenna works well, too, with simple rabbit ear antenna. Some of the non-HD shows, especially animated ones, are recording with white streaks flickering across the screen, it seems independent of the compression settings. I don't see the problem live. Not sure why that is. I have also had a cable card lose its mind a little bit, and record a blank grey screen instead of the scheduled programming. This clears up after you switch to a specific channel (any channel). It's happened twice in maybe three weeks. Frustrating, but probably a bug fixable in software when TiVo gets around to it. I also got the weaknees 750 GB update, which is really nice. The noise reported from the drive doesn't bug me, since our family room is already pretty noisy!

Compared to my DirecTV HD 10-250 Tivo, this is MUCH zippier, and the HD is wonderful. I'm less happy with the non-HD channels... Charter doesn't provide the same quality signal that DirecTV does. I am also having the issue others have reported where analog channels drop out unexpectedly. I'm hoping that a software update from TiVo will fix this.
johnwillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #512
RandyDtg

It helps during the cable card install if you have a TV that also can take a cable card. That was the only way I could prove to the cable guy that one of the two cable cards was actually defective. Two days later the cable company (WOW, not thankfully Charter) came with a card that worked fine.

If you can get the Host ID on a cable card TV, then the card will work in TiVo.
RandyDtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #513
MsKathyK

Red face SLO, CA install

Well, the guy who came to my house apparently had never seen a Tivo before! The biggest mistake he made was connecting the cable to the antenna in instead of cable. He thought the cable in was used with a cable box. (Oops) Although he seemed really experienced with Cable Cards so he got one working in the first slot. One card he tried in the second slot didn't seem to work at all. He put in his spare, and that one was semi-working, but not getting the digital packages. He was here for a little over an hour and went back to the office to get another card to try. He said they run into the same kind of problems installing Cable cards in TV's.

When he came back, he got the new cable card working right away and was gone in about 10 minutes.

So, I'd say he did okay. Charter was really good and didn't give me any hassles.

I'm so happy to have Tivo again. I tried Charter's Moxie box before getting the Tivo, but I really love Tivo and missed it. It was worth the god awful price tag.
MsKathyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #514
jwdderm

Thanks, I'll schedule the install and mention the problems you encountered to the tech.
Wish me luck; sounds as though I'm going to need it. Thanks again.
jwdderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #515
JohnnyB1

Smile Installation success in Pasadena, CA

I just want to report that I got the CableCard installation working and, just as everyone else here says, it is worth it. Love it, love it, love it. It is an expensive indulgence, but it is just terrific. No problems, stunning picture, fast performance.
Cotton168: I appreciated the encouraging words. Thanks.
I failed to "keep you posted" after my frustrated post of 11/1 (#489) because the whole thing worked the next day and I was just delighted and didn't want to think about the frustration of getting there. For the record, I am in Pasadena, CA and interacted with supervisor "Tito" whom others have mentioned in this forum. The guy is very competent and earnest. I told him that I wanted to install 3 CableCards (2 in one Tivo, 1 in the other) and he sent the tech out with 6 CableCards. That's experience talking. In the order they were inserted, the 6 cards worked, failed, worked, failed, failed, worked. So 6 cards turned out to be just enough for 3 working ones.

For my part, I really do believe that Charter management wants CableCard installations to be a frustration and fail commercially to maintain control over premium content. Legally, they know they have to support it, but they can drag their feet by not training or suporting techs and not addressing reliability issues (50% failure rate). The tech at my house says he has a lot of customers screaming at him when the cards fail. I believe it and it sounds like a stressful, horrible job. My perception is that Tito and his techs are trying to do the best they can, but their managers don't support them because they don't actually want them to succeed. That can't be fun. Anyhow, that's my conspiracy theory and I'm delighted that I don't have to deal with it anymore. Best of luck to all.
JohnnyB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #516
cotton168

JohnnyB1, I'm so happy to hear from you again! Great news on the working S3 and I'm glad that you and the rest of us are experiencing lovely pictures that I've never had before. I'm still excited everytime I get my "Now Playing" list and to see all the programs that I love in Hi Def. It's a great thing to happen. Of course we early adopters pay a premium to be EAs but the way that I see it, we were the first ones to get it and use it. It also came with some heartaches as all of us here have had with Charter and also sometimes with TiVo, but I think it was still worth it.

It is a shame to see Tito, Pedro, and other Charter tech managers getting hassled with the CCs because the big wigs don't want them working at all or carry them but the law is the law and I'm glad that at least some of the techs care about their customers.

Enjoy the S3 and take care!!!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #517
fierobuff

Successful Instal, Charter Long Beach, CA

Just want to let everyone know my experience. I called up Charter to request two cable cards for my Tivo S3 and they told me they didn't have any HD cablecards available in my area. After doing some research I found out that the cable card itself didn't need to be called HD. I then called back and requested two cablecards to be installed. They added the cards to my account and sent out a technician. The technicians seem to be getting better at this because they jumped right in on it. They had the first card up fast but the second one wasn't pairing. Fortunately they had some spares and were able to get them both up and running. All in all it took about an hour and a half to get it up and running.

S3, sooooo worth it!!!!
fierobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #518
Havanese_boy

Self Install in TN

I was able to go to my local Charter office and get two Motorola CC's without any hassle.

I came home and installed them into my new S3 with lifetime and followed the instructions that came with the box. Let me say here - man does that box look better than the Moxi!

I got the screen that shows the Host and Data ID, but when I went to call Charter all they wanted was the SN of the two cards as I was speaking to Billing.

Don't I need to give someone the Data ID to activate the cards? I called the tech support ppl and got overseas "dog chasing their tails", but no one would take my info.

I cannot get the cards to do any channel testing as I think they are in Charter's system but not activated.

I have removed the cards until Monday when I can go to the local office and speak to a friend of mine who works there. What should I tell the guy?

With no cards in, I am able to watch SD channels and the PQ of 2-77 leaves Moxi in the dust.

A day without a dog is a wasted day
S3 with Lifetime Sub.
Havanese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #519
kabewm

Pasadena Install was smooth and painless. It took less than five minutes in and out to get my Series 3 (w/ lifetime) working with digital and hd.
kabewm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #520
Havanese_boy

To finish my story...

I went to my local Charter office this morning and found out my inside guy was out sick, so I explained that I had the two CCs and both were in the S3, but I needed to get them activated. She had no clue and after sticking her head in the back office, a lady came out and rambled about how a tech had to come out...I presented her with the two serial #'s and the Host/Data ID info for each card. She looked at me and took my paper with the info on it and went to the back again. After an hour of waiting she comes back out and smiles and says the cards are active and she showed a good signal to my house.

I went home and everything came up great with digital and HD channels. My signal strength is at a steady 96 - 98.

My Sammy HL-S6187W will be here Friday and I am so glad that the Tivo is ready.

A day without a dog is a wasted day
S3 with Lifetime Sub.
Havanese_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #521
mojoxp

Here in Madison, WI the CableCard install wasn't a problem. Guy got them in and working in no time flat (longest part was being on hold with Charter to get them hit).

Getting service on the cards is a different matter. For some reason Charter is unable to get the Digital Tiers working or the HDTV tier. I can get local HDs and thats it. Some of our channels (all?) are simulcast in digital, and I get those as digital... so its not a technical issue just a problem on the customer service end (surprise, surprise).
mojoxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #522
sduston

Cool Charter/Cable Card difficulties

I have Charter service and I haven't really had any difficulties getting the cable cards. However, I am part of the few that have had a lot of reboot problems. In my case, I have found channels 792 (TNTHD), 793 (UHD) and 799 (MTV HD) have been giving me a message stating something about activating the cards, call the cable provider, Host ID and all sorts of stuff...

A little background:
In my case, I have had the S3 Tivo for just over a month now. Upon first installation it was fine, no reboot issues. After a few weeks or so, after a couple of software updates and a little use, I began having a rediculous amount of reboots. It seemed to get increasingly worse as the days passed. It got so bad that is started freezing, and shutting down, and rebooting sometimes 8-10 times before stabilizing and becoming usable again. I tried dealing with Charter, and getting a technician to actually show up was a job in and of itself. So, since I had actually spent the extra $50 or whatever to buy the ever hated "service plan" from Circuit City, I took the Tivo back and swapped it for a new one to hopefully eliminate hardware failures as a potential cause. About a week later I began seeing a reboot once and a great while, but more often than not I would get the black/gray screen with Host ID info and such on some channels.

Previously, I would occasionally see this message with my original S3, but the Tivo would almost always reboot after displaying that message for a few minutes.

Bottom line, I still have occasional reboots, but not as bad as before. I am trying to get Charter out to replace the cable cards, then I'll go from there. Charter has never said to me that they do not support the Tivo... at least So Far...

For me, I have a Tivo Wireless G adapter on my S3. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Any insight or other experience? I personally haven't had any kind of specific issues recording NBC-HD so far, just as a side note.
sduston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #523
cotton168

sduston,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your S3. Have you tried contacting TiVo to see if they have a remedy for this issue? I know that there are other people who also suffer the dreaded reboots so I'm wondering if this can be fixed by TiVo? Luckily you did get the extended warranty so you can exchange the item but that is also a pain in the a$$. Good luck to you and if you hear of anything, let us know.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #524
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoxp
Here in Madison, WI the CableCard install wasn't a problem. Guy got them in and working in no time flat (longest part was being on hold with Charter to get them hit).

Getting service on the cards is a different matter. For some reason Charter is unable to get the Digital Tiers working or the HDTV tier. I can get local HDs and thats it. Some of our channels (all?) are simulcast in digital, and I get those as digital... so its not a technical issue just a problem on the customer service end (surprise, surprise).
Just got installed this morning, 2 cable cards, also in madison, WI. I had been using a digital STB before. Are you having problems solely with the cable card digital or all digitals?

I'm not sure you are missing much with the HD tier. You still get locals and premiums in HD without it. Or at least, I do.

It really shocked me to discover that neither fox nor the CW are carried by charter in HD. I have to use an OTA antenna to get them.

The install guy refused to even look at the instructions and kept telling me to try various menu options until the MMI screen showed. He also was trying hard to sell their DVR service (favorite line: "you know these things work better with satellite?"). But it worked out just fine. Biggest problem was his shoes were wet.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #525
TMTBoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduston
I have Charter service and I haven't really had any difficulties getting the cable cards. However, I am part of the few that have had a lot of reboot problems. In my case, I have found channels 792 (TNTHD), 793 (UHD) and 799 (MTV HD) have been giving me a message stating something about activating the cards, call the cable provider, Host ID and all sorts of stuff...

A little background:
In my case, I have had the S3 Tivo for just over a month now. Upon first installation it was fine, no reboot issues. After a few weeks or so, after a couple of software updates and a little use, I began having a rediculous amount of reboots. It seemed to get increasingly worse as the days passed. It got so bad that is started freezing, and shutting down, and rebooting sometimes 8-10 times before stabilizing and becoming usable again. I tried dealing with Charter, and getting a technician to actually show up was a job in and of itself. So, since I had actually spent the extra $50 or whatever to buy the ever hated "service plan" from Circuit City, I took the Tivo back and swapped it for a new one to hopefully eliminate hardware failures as a potential cause. About a week later I began seeing a reboot once and a great while, but more often than not I would get the black/gray screen with Host ID info and such on some channels.

Previously, I would occasionally see this message with my original S3, but the Tivo would almost always reboot after displaying that message for a few minutes.

Bottom line, I still have occasional reboots, but not as bad as before. I am trying to get Charter out to replace the cable cards, then I'll go from there. Charter has never said to me that they do not support the Tivo... at least So Far...

For me, I have a Tivo Wireless G adapter on my S3. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Any insight or other experience? I personally haven't had any kind of specific issues recording NBC-HD so far, just as a side note.
I you have not done so already, you need to call Charter back with the new Host ID's for the replacment S3. The Cable Cards you have are tied to the original Host ID's. Example: Cable Card #1 is tied to tuner #1's host ID. This would be like swapping the Cable Cards from one slot to the other, it should not be done unless the server has been updated also. This goes for any host device including TV's.

This would explain the channel behavior.
TMTBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #526
shrktank

Charter came out today to install my cablecards.

The tech was professional and eager to install the cards (I think it was his first HD Tivo).

I had the Tivo CableCard install sheet on top of the unit. I am pleased to announce that the installer read these before even attempting to start!

Installed the first card with no hitch. Called in the numbers. Proceeded to card#2. no hitch with this one as well. Called in again for card #2.

Within a few minutes we observed channels coming in from the Test Channel screens.

Excellent install and fantastic experience with Charter.

I think the longest time was spent with the tech on hold to activate the cards!!

Not sure why they cant access through the web some how!!
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #527
pbrass

Success in CT

Charter sub-contractor showed up ~ 30 minutes late for his 8 am to 12 pm scheduled appointment. While this was his first CC install, he did have the presence of mind to bring 3 cards with him just in case. He had never seen a TiVo before apparently and felt obliged to tell me that Charter's DVR was easier to set up. He also let me know he was only getting ~ $13 for the job.

Upon seeing that I had a handle on what to do, he backed off and simply relayed instructions from the Charter employee at the head end. CC's were originally slow to pick up a signal and the 1st card wouldn't get Digital or HD for quite a while. On impulse, we plugged in the 2nd card and the 1st one got its HD programming immediately. I suspect this was simply a coincidence, but the timing was uncanny.

I continue to be amazed at how good a job the Series3 does at up-converting SD signals (and of course HD is amazing).

The tech was on site for less than an hour and all channels came up after the cards "sync'd" with the head end.

FWIW, the employee at the head end seemed to be knowledgeable about the TiVo interface or, at the very least, had a good script to work off.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread... it made the process MUCH easier.
pbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #528
jjk58

left hand doesn't know what the right hand...

So, I called in to order 2 CCards. The rep asked if I wanted a tech to come or if I wanted to pick them up. I was surprised and asked if she was sure if I could pick them up... yes, not a problem. I could even do it today. I'm out the door....

Go to the office and get told only a tech can do it... grrrrrrr!!!!!!

Worse yet, the system doesn't show a request by me... After a few minutes of poking the office rep sees that the system is bouncing my request for a ccard since I have a digital box... she said she would call me

--
She called back about 1 hour later. She tried to talk me out of the cards saying that they're not as good as a box and I won't have VOD and PPV... Apparently the supervising tech was talking them down as well.... I did not mention that it's for a S3...

They're coming on tuesday. I'm wondering if I'll need to do the install for them...??
jjk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #529
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk58
So, I called in to order 2 CCards. The rep asked if I wanted a tech to come or if I wanted to pick them up. I was surprised and asked if she was sure if I could pick them up... yes, not a problem. I could even do it today. I'm out the door....

Go to the office and get told only a tech can do it... grrrrrrr!!!!!!
Exactly my initial experience with Charter (discussed earlier in this thread). I hope that you demanded that the house call be free since they misinformed you and put you through the inconvenience of going to their office.

It's sad to hear that they are still giving out misinformation after all of these experiences. I think that it shows how little they care about support. I believe Charter has made a calculated decision to make the cablecard experience as unpleasant as possible to try to discourage customers from using them. As a result they provide no training for their people. I don't blame the techs and phone people -- I think this is a deliberate policy at the top.

I'm not usually this cynical, but given what it must be costing them in truck rolls and support calls, it is the explanation that makes the most sense.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #530
iWish

Unbelievably, Charter is still refusing to "support".

Just received an S3 from Dell and I called to order the cards.

Was told Tivo not supported.

Best I could manage was an address of a local office where I could supposedly pick up some cards.

No phone number, just an address.

I guess they are still making this tough on us.

Thanks for all who have posted to help me get through this bullsh$$.
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #531
iWish

Update:

I called the 888 a second time and was told again that Charter doesn't support Tivo. This time they said I could either pick up the cards myself or have a service call to have them "dropped off" -- meaning they would not install them!!!!

Went to local office in West Sacramento at 5:00 last night who corrected the 888 service reps and informed me that they do indeed install Tivo cable cards.

Got an appointment for the next day.

Though the installer had never done a Tivo cable card install, he had done others and the whole thing went smoothly even though my power cord unplugged between installing the first and second cards!

Though I haven't tested fully, everything looked good!!!

Kudos to the Charter local branch in West Sac!
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #532
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Thumbs up Charter in Cookeville, TN A-OK!

Got an HD DCR Plasma last month.
Went in and requested a cable card for it, was told that it would not get guide data or VOD and would cost $1.50/month rental. I said that was good for me and it was scheduled for the next day. Came in, installed it, re-did the wiring outside the house, done. Took my old box with him which reduced my fee by $3.95/month. 45 minutes total.

Got my S3 from Dell yesterday (At a GREAT PRICE!!) and went by the office to request the cards. No problem, same disclaimer. Scheduled for next day (today). Two hours late, but not a problem, the contractor arrives. Checks signals and wiring. Installs cards, all good. One important thing is that after installing the cards, go to test channels. Don't go through the entire guided setup! That took 20 minutes after the guy left for new guide data to come down. Test channels will immediately show you that they are working. They did have to hit the cards a second time to get the going. In and out in 30 minutes.

We are in the backwaters of civilization here and I have had ZERO problems with Charter. They are a great bunch here...
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #533
rczig

Success in MN!!!

I called Charter last week to schedule the installation of Cable Cards (I didn't mention it was for my TiVo ) and, amazingly, they were able to move up the appt since the cards arrived early. The installer showed up on time with ONLY TWO cards, so I was a bit nervous. He had never even seen a S3 TiVo, but seemed pretty impressed. He was willing to follow the installer instructions precisely- and even read them all the way through prior to the installation! We did get the "171-4" error code with both cards before they started to work. However, the installation went smoothly (both cards worked on the first attempt1), all of my channels appear to be working, and the installer said IT WAS THE EASIEST CABLE CARD INSTALL HE'D EVER DONE! He said that many TVs have problems with the cards and that some of them even require a firmware flash. He also told me that evidently Charter wasn't even charging me for the service call! (I'm doubtful on that last one, I still expect to see a $19.99 service call charge on my next bill)

All in all, it was a GREAT experience! No problems whatsoever!
rczig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #534
joe warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
I cannot believe the load of BS that Charter is giving you. Seeing how much trouble you are getting from them is also making me worry about my install on Friday. Hopefully the Alhambra office will be better. Don't know...

Anyone else have Charter and has had their CCs work on their Tivos?
I am in Texas and I have Charter and I have absolutely no problems with the cable cards or install. Charter gave me no problem in installing them in mt TiVo. Both cards were installed and working in less tham 45 minutes.
joe warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #535
timebeing

I got my S3 tivo around early Dec.

Called Charter (Burbank, ca) late at night. Talk to someone for about 45mins. Had issues with the computer with me only having 1 TV but needing 2 cable cards and a Cable Box (for on-demand) but they got a Tech guy and worked it out, Waived the installation fee.

Tivo was getting all TV just fine with just the digital cable plugged into it, but just not my HBO.

Sent someone out next day, and installed it quickly with no problems, said it was his 3rd Tivo that day (just did a house with 3 S3s)

Flash forward 30days. New HD TV shows up. Call Charter tell them to give me the HD channels, and everything goes in the toilet. My cable goes in and out, and the only way to get it back is to reboot the tivo. 3 calls back and they get it fix, but I still get Cable card errors on 3 specific HD Channels but everything else is working fine and staying on. Guy comes out next week to try and fix those 3 channels.
timebeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #536
crabherring

I've got analog channels but no digital (Athens, GA)

I've been on the phone multiple times with Charter and have had the joy of two tech visits. Here is where I'm at:

Both cable cards are recognized by S3 on the cablecard set up menus. I'm receiving all analog channels and local HD channels with no problem. I do not receive digital channels (channels 100+) or the HDTier channels on either cable card.

I've gone through the forums and had the last tech (who was very willing to help) go through the key problem areas:
1) checked signal strength and integrity (no problems)
2) rechecked all numbers from Cable Card and S3 (host id, etc...) with settings at Charter (all okay)
3) tech asked Charter cust serv to make sure the correct cable card enable codes were used (saw a post that said DCT codes were different). This was also okay.
4) Had Charter rehit the cards (cards have been rehit, including cold hit, multiple times now)
5) Restarted Tivo and redid guided setup.

Still only analog channels. I have a DCT box in the house and can confirm that it is receiving the digital channels.

The tech then got on the phone and told Charter to schedule another visit to include bringing two new Cable Cards.

Any other ideas?

(By the way).... On the first tech visit (4 hours). I got the hypnotic screen of death when doing channel test on the cards. As others have posted, it took quite some time for the cable card firmware loads or whatever to happen. I also found out that Charter had a huge queue of new devices to enumerate on the network. So, if you get the spinning disk on channel check this could be the cause. About 6 hours later (10 total from cable card install), I got analog channels active on both cards and started working through trying to get the digital channels going.
crabherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #537
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabherring
I...
I've gone through the forums and had the last tech (who was very willing to help) go through the key problem areas:
1) checked signal strength and integrity (no problems)
2) rechecked all numbers from Cable Card and S3 (host id, etc...) with settings at Charter (all okay)
3) tech asked Charter cust serv to make sure the correct cable card enable codes were used (saw a post that said DCT codes were different). This was also okay.
4) Had Charter rehit the cards (cards have been rehit, including cold hit, multiple times now)
5) Restarted Tivo and redid guided setup.

Still only analog channels. I have a DCT box in the house and can confirm that it is receiving the digital channels.
I guess it's possible that both cablecards are bad, but I would bet that step 3 was not done properly. The onsite tech may have the best of intentions, but it seems that the majority of people at the other end of the phone for Charter are incompetent.

When I had my S3 installed I was fortunate to get one of the head end engineers to actually call dispatch and tell them specifically which codes were needed. He told me that they almost always get it wrong.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #538
eric_mcgovern

The day has finally come that Charter adds new HD channels! Yeah!

I received a letter, telling me TNT HD, Universal HD and Cinemax HD are being added. So I tune to the channels they list, and TNT pops in for about 2 seconds before the "please call Charter" message from the CableCARD pops up. So I give Charter a jingle, and they are utterly confused by what I am asking. I get transferred around about 3 times, I finally end up in "repair".

I keep explaining to them I simply need the CableCARDS authorized for the new channels, as they are mapping them (TiVo has the correct station name in the upper right corner), but I am just not authorized. They keep telling me I have that package and I should get them. I was getting somewhere with repair, but I was hung up on, and didn't feel like calling back (even though I gave everyone my number 3 times, I guess they can't call out).

The TiVo lineup change hasn't occurred, but I figured that when it does I want to be able to get those channels from day 1.

Has anyone had success during lineup changes?

My Series 3 box with has worked flawlessly with the CableCARDS since day 1, I just hope this doesn't goof up my good fortunes
eric_mcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #539
j0e

Thumbs up

I got my first Tivo, a Sony, just over 6 years ago and it immediately became indispensible. I never could understand why everyone with a TV did not get one. Anyway, aside from upgrading the storage and adding a wireless card I never did much with it except enjoy it.

A few days ago I bought an HDTV and the S3 box. I dreaded what was going to happen when I ordered the cable cards. Turns out that it was not too bad. I called up and based on these notes said I had gotten a new TV and wanted 2 cable cards for it. I got the speech about VOD and MOXIE and then was told the TV only needed one card. So I said I got 2 TV's. They had plenty of cards, but the installers were tied up and I was told I could not do them myself so I had to wait 5 days.

So the cable guy showed up on time and said he had not seen the S3 and asked me if I wanted to plug them in myslef. I did so and first put in the bottom one. Took a long minute before the screen with the numbers came up. The canle guy told me to do the guided setup but I told him to wait.

After putting that one in, I put in the upper one. Nothing happened for 2 minutes and then an error message about calling home came up. I told him that I had read on the net that there were a lot of bad cards so he just went out to the truck and got another one. Popped that in and it came up fine in about 45 seconds.

He then got a call from his boss who told him he had to come to the office even if he was in the middle of a call. So he said he would call in the numbers and get the cards turned on and be back as soon as he could.

Within a few minutes. I was able to get HD and it sure looks great. Of course some channels did not come in because they forgot to turn on the HD service. So when he came back he had to call the head end to turn some more channels on. Also we noticed a few glitches across the screen so he decidded to clean up the levels. I have a three way splitter and learned that one of the outputs on a three-way is half the loss of the other two. It was well market. Anyway it looks great, Tivo has improved a lot in 6 years, and the HD picture is well worth it.

This forum made it a better experience because I did not tell charter that it was a Tivo, I put myself into the installation loop and did not freak whem one of the cards did not work.

Last edited by j0e : 01-05-2007 at 02:15 PM.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #540
2big4burb

Tito Save Me!

Anyone have Tito's number?

This is getting really old. It's been 3 months, 4 different technicians, and a ton of calls into Charter. The current party line from Charter is "cable cards are not available in your area" Really? Then how did I get these 4 cable cards that don't really work? (I've got 2 S3's that currently only get channels 2 - 101)
2big4burb is offline   Reply With Quote