TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #481
cotton168

I hope that Charter will begin training their guys on the CC installs because more and more of us who have the S3s need them in there. Let's hope that things go smoothly!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #482
Slowdrag

Success At Last

Finally. After 4 visits, 3 @ 5 hrs. each, I decided to have Charter come out for one last go at it. They were here 10 minutes. The tech called to see if they had activated the HD Tier I was allegedly already paying for ... and BAM! Everything comes in now: HD, SD, all of it on both cablecards.

Unreal how this could be the only problem that was hindering everything from working before. I know for certain that during every prior visit, the technician called the office and asked for verification that my settings were correct. He was told yes.

Anyhow. Everything finally works. Dunno how. Dunno why. Just know it does because things swung my way today.

I'm still convinced Charter has no idea what the hell they're doing.

/out
Slowdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #483
cotton168

Hey Slowdrag, congrats on finally getting to enjoy your S3. Enjoy it and I agree that sometimes, Charter has absolutely no clue what they are doing!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #484
datasound

I am in Burbank CA with Charter Communications and a series 3. My story is much the same, but with a (finally) happy outcome. I had the same experience where I got a call from the Charter Supervisor about an hour before my install saying he was sending his guy with the cablecards but that their experience had been that they failed 90% of the time. (he didn't even know it was a tivo as this point, he was saying they fail in TV sets). So the guy arrived and we put the cards in the S3 and navigated to the page to get the needed ID numbers. He made a phone call and rattled off a series of long-multi-digit numbers for both cards. I thought for sure there was no way the person at the other end of the line was getting these right. She assured us the cards were active and they hung up.

It still wasn't working (IE can't see any channels) and I convinced the guy to leave them with me and I would play with it. Tivo cable-card diagnostics have a 'test channels' page and I could go there and get only 4 channels (all up in the 100's) to work on cable card 1 and No channels tested as working on cable card 2.

So I realized that my cable is split MANY times in order to feed all the places it has to go in my house. So I had a long 50-foot RG59 cable and I went straight from the point where the CABLE enters the house and connected the one cable it to the TIVO and WALLA!!! IT worked. So by reducing the splits it is now working almost 100%.

Final comments:
The TIVO Diagnostic is partly to blame as it doesn't seem to be working right. Even though I get ALL my channels in LIVE TV mode, the diagnostics 'test channels' still doesn't show all the channels. When I go to them in the diagnostic I often get black screen and no audio. But it seems like the channels in the 100-140 range always seem to come up.

The diagnostic is inconsistant with the channels is shows between cable card 1 and 2 (with 2 often having less channels working than 1).

Intermittently (about once a week) many or all of the channels are blank (show black video and no audio). This has caused a few TV shows to be incomplete during the recording. They either come back on their own after an hour or 2, but almost always restarting the series 3 seems to bring them back right away.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you out there who are running into these frustrating problems.
datasound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM   #485
comprev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW
Ckoble,

Just have PATIENCE. I believe that eventually their database will be updated in the normal course of business. It could be one or two months away. At a minimum they will have to notify their branches that such a company as TiVo exists. Right now only we on this forum know about this.

Some Cable Providers may take longer than others to make the proper entries. Others may have Central System characteristics prohibiting them from ever being able to make the proper entries without substantial and costly upgrades.
If this were true, then every year when the new TVs come out the same problem should exist, to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't. The problem is that they don't like losing their DVR business. With the exception of satellite TV, most cable companies are a monopoly in the cities they server and don't like being told what to do.
comprev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #486
killyoko

Okay, here goes nothing...

Hey guys,

I set up my S3 over the weekend and so far, so good. (using analog cable and antenna) My appointment with the cable card installer is Wednesday. I told the CSR to tell the installer to bring more than 2 cards just in case the first two don't work. Anyone out there had any luck with the Charter installers in and around the Knoxville area?

Anyway, wish me luck! I'll keep you posted...
killyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #487
killyoko

Re: Okay, here goes nothing...

Update:

The cable tech came out today to install the cards. I asked him if he'd ever installed cards into a tivo, and he said no. So we proceeded to walk through the instructions on the sheet for card 1. tip: when you insert card 1, the tivo will change to the screen that says 'a cablecard has been installed.' There is an option at the bottom of the screen to go to another menu (possibly 'configure cable card.') DON"T DO ANYTHING. The cable tech said to just wait, so we did. Eventually, the cablecard info screen came up. I thought it was interesting that he knew not to go out of that menu even though he'd never dealt with tivo before. So they must all do that. Anyway, he called in to activate the card, and the tivo thought about things for a while. Somewhere around this point the tivo gave us a message like 'a problem with the cablecard is causing video not to be displayed' or something. I think this is the error 114 or 104 message that has been talked about in these forums. Again, the cable tech recognized the error and said, 'they always say that.' so no big deal.
Then we tested the channels, and I was getting the broadcast channels but no HBO or Discovery HD or HD net, etc. So he called back and had her ping the card (or 'hit it' or 'reset it'--he used 'reset' as the term) No luck.
So I decided to unplug the tivo (I forgot about the restart menu option) and plugged it back in. After the startup process, we were getting HBO and HDNet, (and everything else) but for some reason Discovery HD was a no-go.
So I suggested that we just try installing the 2nd card just to see what happens. We went through the process again for card 2, and when we tested the channels, the tivo said 'no signal available.' But the channels were all there! We manually punched in the numbers for HBO, Discovery, etc. and they came up fine, despite what tivo said. So I sent the cable tech on his way and repeated guided setup.
When it finished, all the channels were where they were supposed to be. So for now, all is right with the world. Fingers crossed that it holds!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #488
cotton168

Congrats killyoko (funny name!LOL). Good luck with your S3 and I hope things work out great!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #489
JohnnyB1

Angry Another sad tale

I hope to return to this forum with a happy ending, but so far, Charter has been able to frustrate all of my attempts to get CableCards installed. We have 2 Series 2 Tivos and a Motorola HD DVR from Charter. I've been reading this forum for a while and know the trials of ckoble and Cotton168 and everyone else. I ordered a Series 3 and scheduled an install for October 20 from 8am to noon. On the 19th, I decide that I'm feeliing ambitious and want to try upgrading two Series 3. I call Charter to change the order and they say that CableCards aren't working this week and no one will be coming to my home tomorrow. I should call back in a week or so.

I call on the 24th and schedule an appointment for the 26th 8am to noon. They say everything is working great. No one shows up all day. I call back and they deny that an appointment has ever been made. I'm livid but powerless, so I schedule a new appointment for today, November 1st from 1pm to 5pm.

I call them yesterday to confirm that I have an appointment. Yes. I have an appointment from 1pm to 5pm. I'm going to be watching HD Tivo by dinner! Today at 1:15pm, I'm feeling nervous (some symptom of repeated Cable Co. abuse), so I call them again. Yes, sir. A tech will be coming to your house between 1pm and 5pm. At 3:30pm, I am very nervous and call again. Yes, sir! A rep will be over soon. At 4:15pm, my phone rings. Charter: Sorry, no one is coming to give you a CableCard. The rep tells me that I should really quit trying because CableCards are a real pain. I am apoplectic. My kids are scared because they have never heard Daddy scream at someone. I ultimately talk to the supervisor who says that he will come to my home personally tomorrow between 8am and noon to install the CableCards in my two Series 3 DVRs. As you can imagine, I am hopeful, but not optimistic. I'll keep you posted.
JohnnyB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #490
killyoko

Keep up the fight Johnny, it's worth it.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #491
Mekapo

Thank God i'm poor. I really want a S3 but i'm unfortunately a Charter Customer. Hopefully by the time I can afford a S3 these issues will be ironed out.
Mekapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #492
djheini

Has anyone had missing analog and digital channels on Charter that were fixed by changing/fixing CableCards? I've discovered that in addition to UniversalHD and TNTHD, I'm also missing about 6-7 digital channels in the 200-300s, and about 6-7 analog channels. Since the analog channels don't have to do with the CCards as far as I know, I'm thinking it may all be a TiVo issue. All the channels come in fine on the second tuner, so it's not a signal issue...

Anyone have any suggestions?
djheini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #493
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by djheini
Has anyone had missing analog and digital channels on Charter that were fixed by changing/fixing CableCards? I've discovered that in addition to UniversalHD and TNTHD, I'm also missing about 6-7 digital channels in the 200-300s, and about 6-7 analog channels. Since the analog channels don't have to do with the CCards as far as I know, I'm thinking it may all be a TiVo issue. All the channels come in fine on the second tuner, so it's not a signal issue...

Anyone have any suggestions?
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that within a single S3 you are getting some channels on one tuner and not on the other. If so, call the cable company and go through the list of channels and see if one of the cards simply isn't authorized for all of the appropriate channels, and have them "hit" the card again. If that doesn't fix it, then yes, it's probably the card. Schedule an appointment to REPLACE the card, and make sure to tell the CSR to make it a replacement and nag her to note that they must bring one or more cards with them, because if it goes out as "cablecard problems" these f**king idiots will show up at your house without a replacement card. I kid you not.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #494
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB1
I hope to return to this forum with a happy ending, but so far, Charter has been able to frustrate all of my attempts to get CableCards installed. [ Tale of woe deleted. ]
Ain't Charter the best? Aren't you glad to send them your hard-earned money every month? I'm thinking of setting up a web site: www.lynchpaulallen.com

BTW, where are you located?
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #495
PTV Programmer

Madison, WI - had Charter tech in my office today to install the cable cards. Because of all the great posts with tips here, the install went relatively well. It took some time and several card "hits", but everything is working great and all channels are being received.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #496
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB1
I hope to return to this forum with a happy ending, but so far, Charter has been able to frustrate all of my attempts to get CableCards installed. I ultimately talk to the supervisor who says that he will come to my home personally tomorrow between 8am and noon to install the CableCards in my two Series 3 DVRs. As you can imagine, I am hopeful, but not optimistic. I'll keep you posted.
Hey JohnnyB1, don't give up. Even though we have had issues with Charter, it was still worth it when it finally does work. I'm still having issues with Channel 7 HD with the choppy video sometimes, but I still think it is worth it. It is what us early adopters go through so that others can live without the hassles, right?

I would suggest that when the supervisor visits you, you make sure to write down his name and direct line. Don't have him give you the 888 or whatever BS number he gives you. You want his direct number so that you can call him directly if he has issues. You might also want his cell phone number.

BTW, where are you located at? We might be able to give you our tech supervisor numbers as well if you are local. Good luck with everything and I wish you all the best.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #497
djheini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that within a single S3 you are getting some channels on one tuner and not on the other. If so, call the cable company and go through the list of channels and see if one of the cards simply isn't authorized for all of the appropriate channels, and have them "hit" the card again. If that doesn't fix it, then yes, it's probably the card. Schedule an appointment to REPLACE the card, and make sure to tell the CSR to make it a replacement and nag her to note that they must bring one or more cards with them, because if it goes out as "cablecard problems" these f**king idiots will show up at your house without a replacement card. I kid you not.
Yes, that's my problem. But my question is can a bad/misconfigured CableCard cause analog channels to not come in, as I'm missing both some digital/HD channels ("not authorized") and some analog channels (TiVo says it can't find a signal) on the one tuner.

My understanding was that the CableCard only came into play for the digital channels. Am I horribly misinformed?
djheini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #498
dwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_HiDef
. I call Tivo. Talk to TS there. Guys says " be patient" run through the rest of guided setup, then check cards again. I do. After about 20 minutes I have data on Conditional Access screens. I check channels, voila, I have channels. HD works, premium works. Life is good.

Out,
Robert
It seems to me that Tivo needs to add some status indicators, like: "Please wait, Card x firmware is updating.. xx% done."

I get the impression that critical processes are being interrupted mainly because installers get impatient at the apparent lack of progress in the setup of CC's.
If something is going to take 20 minutes before results appear, it needs to be made clear that it will take that long, and, if possible how much time remains..
dwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #499
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djheini
Yes, that's my problem. But my question is can a bad/misconfigured CableCard cause analog channels to not come in, as I'm missing both some digital/HD channels ("not authorized") and some analog channels (TiVo says it can't find a signal) on the one tuner.

My understanding was that the CableCard only came into play for the digital channels. Am I horribly misinformed?
Is it possible that you are getting all digital channels. I am pretty sure Charter rolled out a full digital simulcast in a couple areas. And as soon as you plug in a cablecard, it will map all the digital and ignore any analog that are the same channel I believe.

Or perhaps when using cablecard, it has to map the analog as well? Maybe something to ask a tech in your area about. I wouldn't really trust the answer you get off the 800 support line. It is a 50/50 shot whether they'll actually know or not. I think they almost are required to give you an answer whether they know or not.

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane

Last edited by Leo_N : 11-04-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #500
wtidmore

Success Story

Long time lurker, first time poster here -- I wanted to post my success story, because everyone else's posts were so incredibly helpful. I really don't know if I'd have a fully functional S3 without you guys!

I had my appointment with Charter in Gwinnett Co, GA last Thursday. No hassles about supporting TiVo, providing 2 cards, etc. As long as I was willing to pay, they were more than happy to supply cards. The tech was great - he had only done 2 CC installs before (none w/ TiVo) but said he liked a challenge. He let me drive. I followed the directions

First CC was fully going within a few minutes. The second card threw the 161-1 error. Unfortunately, the tech didn't have any extra cards with him, but he went out looking for them, called me back in a couple of hours and brought 2 more cards. He easily could have blown me off and said to make another appointment, but he didn't. There was some drama on the head end with the second card. For some reason, the rep kept asking the tech if I rented or owned my cable modem. What the...? At any rate, they said it would be 20 minutes before it was up and running, so the tech left.

I ended up not receiving encrypted channels on card 2. The Conditional Access screen said PROGRAM_MISSING_REKEY. After 3 calls to support, I finally reached someone yesterday who knew how to do a Cold Hit. I immediately got the 161-4 error a few times, then started seeing channels. When I went to bed last night, the only encrypted channed that I was getting was SHO-HD. This morning, though, I am receiveing all channels on both cards.

Long story, but hopefully it will help someone with their install. Thanks again for all of the great information you guys provide!
wtidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #501
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtidmore
Long time lurker, first time poster here -- I wanted to post my success story, because everyone else's posts were so incredibly helpful. I really don't know if I'd have a fully functional S3 without you guys!

I had my appointment with Charter in Gwinnett Co, GA last Thursday. No hassles about supporting TiVo, providing 2 cards, etc. As long as I was willing to pay, they were more than happy to supply cards. The tech was great - he had only done 2 CC installs before (none w/ TiVo) but said he liked a challenge. He let me drive. I followed the directions

First CC was fully going within a few minutes. The second card threw the 161-1 error. Unfortunately, the tech didn't have any extra cards with him, but he went out looking for them, called me back in a couple of hours and brought 2 more cards. He easily could have blown me off and said to make another appointment, but he didn't. There was some drama on the head end with the second card. For some reason, the rep kept asking the tech if I rented or owned my cable modem. What the...? At any rate, they said it would be 20 minutes before it was up and running, so the tech left.

I ended up not receiving encrypted channels on card 2. The Conditional Access screen said PROGRAM_MISSING_REKEY. After 3 calls to support, I finally reached someone yesterday who knew how to do a Cold Hit. I immediately got the 161-4 error a few times, then started seeing channels. When I went to bed last night, the only encrypted channed that I was getting was SHO-HD. This morning, though, I am receiveing all channels on both cards.

Long story, but hopefully it will help someone with their install. Thanks again for all of the great information you guys provide!
Congrats on the install!

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
--- Denny Crane
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #502
crabbon

Good story about Charter (San Luis Obispo, CA).

First, I updated from expanded cable + internet to cable + HBO + SHO + Movie Tier + HD Tier + Family Tier + HD Digital Box + Internet + 4 Cable Cards (2 Series 3's). Ended up my bill went down. Go figure (some promotion).

Anyway, I was skeptical, especially after reading almost all of the posts on here.

Appointment scheduled from 1 to 5pm. I was getting worried, and called Charter at 3:30, and had them confirm the appointment and requested that they tell the guy coming out to make sure he has cable cards, and to make sure to bring extra. Just before I hang up, at 3:50pm, the cable guy shows up.

His name is Ken. He's done several series 3 installs, and they allotted 54 units for this install to him. At 5 minutes per unit, that comes down to 4.5 hours. So, since he said he had done several, I didn't even hand them the Tivo sheet (though I had it out), but instead let him go at his rate.

Sure enough, he did a great job. Did one at a time. Never ever did we need to reboot. Didn't do the guide setup until he was done, and 4 out of 4 cable cards worked.

Here was tricks that he mentioned (and verified).

1) He wrote down all the right numbers prior to inserting the card, and then he made sure that the numbers when he gave to dispatch was correct (says many times the numbers get transposed or heard wrong).

2) After inserting the card, he waits about 4 to 5 minutes before getting the the screen where it tells you the numbers. On one card, I didn't wait long enough, and got the error "could not load..." Went back, and just waited a few more minutes, and it worked.

3) After he gave dispatch the numbers that are on the Tivo screen, and after they said it's all good, we waited another 3 or 4 minutes before testing channels. Again, one time I did it too quick, and sure enough the pinwheel came up. He said he had never seen this before. That was the only card that gave us a little difficulty in that the digital channels and premium channels didn't work. In the clear QAM and analog channels worked. After waiting another 15 minutes, they mysteriously just started working. Not sure if he called something in or not, because I was busy with the kids. Both of us just wrote it off that we tested the channels too soon after dispatch said it "go".

Ken told me that these cards were brand new (even though they said April 2006 on them). He just picked them up. Also, he says some guys try to go too fast, and you must give things time. The last thing is that San Luis Obispo has a history (from the posts I have read) of things working out pretty good.

Ken says that he has heard of some people in SLO having problems, but he rarely has any problems. Again, he just goes nice and slow.

Hope this helps you guys. And if anybody is in SLO, and ends up with Ken, be happy. Also, Ken may not work on Mondays, so don't schedule your appointment on that day
crabbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #503
kabewm

Flawless Install

I bought my TiVo Series 3 from eBay for $700, it was scheduled to arrive yesterday. So I called Charter and scheduled a CableCARD install today. Once I got my Tivo Series 3 yesterday, I transferred my lifetime from the Series 2.

Today the Charter guy arrived, and we got the two CableCARD's activated in minutes. Smooth as silk. . .
kabewm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #504
cotton168

You are one lucky person kabewm. Most of us here had or are having issues with the CC installs from Charter. Consider yourself very lucky and congrats on getting your S3.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #505
ChromeAce
Early Adopter

Charter in STL

I am about to purchase a couple of Series 3 units, switching from DirecTV (they've served me well but when they dropped TiVo they lost my enthusiasm).

Here in St. Louis I was discouraged by a local professional audio/video install shop from trying to use a Series 3, saying they don't recommend them due to "problems with Charter and the cablecards". There were a couple of Series 3 units at Best Buy in Chesterfield a few weeks ago but now they have none for some reason. I thought maybe Charter had them pulled from Best Buy as they won't work here? I also read this thread so I thought I better call Charter first to see if maybe I could get their opinion.

Got a clueless CSR in India but all I needed was the information on her screen, so I asked if Charter supported TiVo Series 3 and she said yes, it's on their list of supported HD cable boxes and asked me if I was buying my own or wanted one from Charter. This was an interesting piece of news to me, since apparently Charter will now be selling or renting the TiVo Series 3. I asked her how much for it from Charter and she put me on hold, came back, and said sorry it's not available at this time from Charter. I responded that I was going to switch my entire 5-home family from DirecTV to Charter but that when I checked, I actually didn't have a 5-home family.

So I told her I would go buy one myself and then call back to schedule an installation appointment and she said that would be no problem.

I recorded the call and cautiously await delivery of the Series 3 units from Page Computer, which appears to have the lowest price (even lower than Weaknees after all their little rebate and coupon tricks) at $632.10.
ChromeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #506
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyPlanet
I am about to purchase a couple of Series 3 units, switching from DirecTV (they've served me well but when they dropped TiVo they lost my enthusiasm).

Here in St. Louis I was discouraged by a local professional audio/video install shop from trying to use a Series 3, saying they don't recommend them due to "problems with Charter and the cablecards". There were a couple of Series 3 units at Best Buy in Chesterfield a few weeks ago but now they have none for some reason. I thought maybe Charter had them pulled from Best Buy as they won't work here? I also read this thread so I thought I better call Charter first to see if maybe I could get their opinion.

Got a clueless CSR in India but all I needed was the information on her screen, so I asked if Charter supported TiVo Series 3 and she said yes, it's on their list of supported HD cable boxes and asked me if I was buying my own or wanted one from Charter. This was an interesting piece of news to me, since apparently Charter will now be selling or renting the TiVo Series 3. I asked her how much for it from Charter and she put me on hold, came back, and said sorry it's not available at this time from Charter. I responded that I was going to switch my entire 5-home family from DirecTV to Charter but that when I checked, I actually didn't have a 5-home family.

So I told her I would go buy one myself and then call back to schedule an installation appointment and she said that would be no problem.

I recorded the call and cautiously await delivery of the Series 3 units from Page Computer, which appears to have the lowest price (even lower than Weaknees after all their little rebate and coupon tricks) at $632.10.
Good luck! So far I am at 7 weeks installed with Charter, two S3s and 0 install or operating problems. So it is not a completely hopeless cause

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
--- Denny Crane
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #507
jwdderm

I'm also in St. Louis, having purchased a unit (Costco, unlimited return policy) but not yet scheduled for installation. Local Charter rep told me directly that Series 3 is not supported, but she referred me to Cust. Service.

Curious if anyone has had a successful installation in the St. Louis area, and if so, with whom did they work?
jwdderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #508
dwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtidmore

Thanks for the post. Now I know that CC's can be made to work in Gwinnett, and I can order my S3 now. (Pending a few other questions, such as channel changing speed.. )

I suppose I'll hold off on the cablecard install though, since I don't have a HDTV yet, and need to buy a new HVAC system first.. Still, I need to get the S3 this year so I can transfer my lifetime sub.
dwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #509
bubba1972

St. Louis Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdderm

Curious if anyone has had a successful installation in the St. Louis area, and if so, with whom did they work?
I have mine up and running in St. Charles and my parents have their's going south of St. Louis in Festus. Both through Charter. My install was a pain in the ass, but it does work. The tech showed up 6 hours after the automated phone system called me at the wrong number to tell me he was on his way. Once here, he had no clue what a Tivo Series 3 was but did at least bring two cards as requested. After plugging in the first card, the Tivo rebooted. It finally came back and the numbers came up after a couple of minutes that he needed to call in. He informed me that he would probably be on hold at least an hour trying to get the cards activated (he was right). The tech guy on the other end of the walkie talkie conversation said Tivo would never work on their system. After activating the card we tested the channels, but they were not all there. We put in the second card and activated it. That time I got the error message that the installation instructions from Tivo.com said you can ignore. The tech said the channels may not show up until he closed out the work order. I didn't quite understand that, but soon after the rest of the channels did show up. At least I thought. Apparently the cards have to be provisioned for extended basic because Charter simulcasts all channels in analog and digital. I had to waste an hour and half the next day with their tech support in India to get channels 28-100 activated. Be sure to verify that you receive those channels before the tech leaves. They both seem to be working correctly now. Some of the channels (specifically 784 (HD CBS) and HD Cinemax) have lower signal levels and are having occasional pixellation problems. You can check signal level through the channel configuration screen. They are both around 81 while all other channels are around 93. Definitely check those two out before they leave. They may be able to configure your splitters to get the best signal to Tivo first. I returned my Moxi HD recorder to Charter a couple of days later and they made a complete mess of my account. I still don't know if they removed it or not. Their system doesn't handle having cable cards on your account very well.
bubba1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #510
CraigHB

Anybody in the Reno/Sparks, NV area get an S3 working with Charter. If so, how'd it go?

Thanks

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote