TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #421
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
To be postive, the installers who came to my house were great, and determined to get my S3 working. They came 3 times, and it took a total of 6 cards, and I thought they were very professional, and courteous.

--Larry
Hey Larry, I hope you get your cards working real soon on your S3 so that you can enjoy it. My tech is coming today (don't know what time, but it should be between 8-10) so I'll post back later my experiences with them.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #422
rsincavage

Big Grin Charter in Upstate SC - cablecards working

So the tech came out today, within ten minutes, both cablecards which the previous tech had guessed were defective were working perfectly.

He didn't claim to know the details, but he said that in addition to having the cards activated, something on my account such as a "node type" had to be added or changed. He mentioned something like there being '1000', '2000', and '3000' type nodes. He also said that this change was made at their dispatch office instead of at the head end.

So, maybe if any of you all are still struggling with Charter, you could mention these things and perhaps make some progress.
rsincavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #423
cotton168

Oops! Didn't read your title which answers my question about where you are from. Congrats on getting your S3 working!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #424
rsincavage

Where am I?

I often ask myself the same thing

-- I am in Greenville, South Carolina
rsincavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #425
adventurelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
Hey Larry, I hope you get your cards working real soon on your S3 so that you can enjoy it. My tech is coming today (don't know what time, but it should be between 8-10) so I'll post back later my experiences with them.
Hi Cotton,

My cable cards have been working since the 4th of the month, my problem has been getting the HD-Tier (which is 4 channels) added.

On the positive side, I just received a phone call from Charter Corporate in response to my issue, and this will be resolved quickly I was told. THey were surprised that it has been so difficult for me to get the HD tier.

I guess my e-mail to the President of Charter worked.

--Larry
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #426
cotton168

LOL Larry. My bad about getting your story mixed up with others. Very happy to hear that the e-mail to the president worked, but frustrated with the fact that your area couldn't help you without having a truck roll out. Don't know what that problem is, but I hope they resolve that issue real soon and that you will get the HD Tier channels.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #427
cotton168

I'm a bit cautious about saying success, but right now I am just gosh darn giddy!!! I had two techs come out today including the tech supervisor. Their names are Pedro (the tech) and Julio. Both were very nice and Julio had actually done a previous S3 and knew about kind of what to do. Before they came, I ended up taking out the previous CC and restarting the machine. When they came, we put in CC1 and went through the entire setup. When setup was finished, I was astonished to find that I was actually receiving the premium channels that I oh so missed. When I checked the local channels, we discovered a problem and that I was not receiving those.

We ended up inserting CC2 in and Pedro made a comment about having one CC get the premium channels and the other one get the local channels. LOL The second CC did not work so they put in another one (got the firmware in progress screen of death) and it took a little time, but we were able to receive the local channels. Checked the premium and there they were. We finally decided to check whether or not CC1 had the local channels as well and there they were in all their 480i glory!

I am so happy to have both CCs again having only been using one in the past few days. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all the channels will continue to work. I did mention the pixelation issue I was having with certain channels and they said that they knew about the issue and were working on it. He tried to get more info from me, but unfortunately, I deleted all the HD recordings I had.

Good luck to the rest of you and not to worry, I will be here "hovering" around to help out.

Oh, octomonkee, I must say that I did mention Tito and Liz to Pedro and he actually knew Tito. I told him that if he was still having problems to contact Tito to see how he got yours working.

Thank you to everyone to helped out and good luck to the rest who still need it!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #428
rickh710

Success in Altadena, California!

howdy folks -

i've been reading this forum with much interest over the past few weeks and it has given me a lot of moral support, so i thought i would add my experience with Charter for those who haven't taken the plunge yet.

i'm in Altadena (Pasadena, CA). before ordering the S3 i called Charter (twice!) to ask about cable card availability in my area and was told to go to my local service office to pick them up. when i got there, i was told that i needed an installer appointment and that the two CSRs i spoke to had given me incorrect information.

ordered the S3 and when it arrived, called to schedule a cable card install. got a VERY hostile CSR who kept repeating "we don't support Tivo" every time i asked a question. i requested a supervisor who kept up that mantra until i finally got a word in edgewise to explain that the S3 is on the CableLabs approved device list, etc, etc. i added that this Tivo is their friend, since i have to subscribe to cable rather than satellite if i want to fully use it. she relented and scheduled an install for one week later.

week goes by and on install day i get a call two hours into the appointment window. dispatcher tells me they are cancelling my appointment because the cards don't work with the S3, that they are working on it and will put me down for a new appoitnment a week later.

so that brings me to this past saturday, when i get a call from installer Oscar three hours into the appointment window. he tells me he's on his way, but that the cards probably won't work when he gets to my house (he's apparently working on another S3 install and burning through all the cards he has with him). a couple of hours go by and he's a no show, so use the caller id to call him back and he tells me he had to go to the warehouse and grab some more cards.

when he finally arrives, i walk him through the process step by step, only allowing one card install and activation at a time (he wanted to pop both in). first card is recognized with no problem, he calls to activate, and a minute or two later i run the channel test and we're getting what seems to be all channels. he asks the CSR doing the activation to hold on while we insert the second card, but she refuses and hangs up on him. second card goes in, is recognized with no problem, and he calls to activate. we manage to get the same CSR on the line, she hits the card, and a minute or two later we've got channels. total time: less than 10 minutes. handed him my Moxi and he was on his way. before he left i told him that he can no longer go around telling people that the cards don't work.

after he took off i re-ran guided setup and tested more thoroughly. i subscribe to pretty much everything and i'm getting all channels on both tuners, including HD tier with locals, all premium movie channels, etc. Logo Channel (on 680?) is the only exception - i get the "call to authorize" screen when i tune to it. figured i would give it a few days before pursuing the issue. haven't had any pixelization or audio drop-outs on any of the channels mentioned in previous posts from the San Gabriel Valley area.

keep up the pressure if you're currently having problems with Charter...having dual-tuner HD integrated with our beloved Tivo interface is SO worth it!
rickh710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #429
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh710
so that brings me to this past saturday, when i get a call from installer Oscar three hours into the appointment window. he tells me he's on his way, but that the cards probably won't work when he gets to my house (he's apparently working on another S3 install and burning through all the cards he has with him).
That was probably my install. While he was at my place, he called another customer and said essentially that. I felt bad for the customer because I knew the cards he had left wouldn't work (we had already tried and rejected them). He knew it, too, and wanted to cancel your appointment, but the dispatcher and his supervisor told him to go anyway because nobody wanted to get yelled at by you for cancelling. He was upset because he didn't want to go to your house and lie to you by pretending that it might work. I'm glad he was able to get some more cards and get your system going.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #430
cotton168

Hey rickh710, I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal with Charter. I truly think that those CSRs should be better trained to handle any kind of situation instead of just telling you that they don't support TiVo. I told Pedro that most of us here don't even mention that the CCs are going into a TiVo until the techs come because of the exact problem with their CSRs. It's a real shame. However, I am glad that your CCs are all working. I have to go home later on and check to see whether or not all the channels are working. For some reason, before I left, I saw that I was still missing some channels. I will have to check again to see if they all came in. Knew I was too excited too early!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #431
astroglide

st. louis here. requested cablecards late thursday night, truck rolled on monday morning. i told the phone op i was putting them in an s3 and she just talked about how she wanted one too, no issues mentioned. tech had never done an s3 install, but when he called in for activation he requested someone he knew that had done one before. whole process took about 30 minutes, and so far it's working flawlessly.

Last edited by astroglide : 10-10-2006 at 05:17 PM.
astroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #432
cotton168

Good to hear about your experience astroglide. I think any kind of experience is good whether good or bad because then we can all compare and if someone needs help in your area, they would know where to look.

I actually just came back home and the first thing I did was check my channels. Yes, I was very excited to get home today. To my astonishment, the channels seemed to have all trickled in. I'm very happy to see this and I still have my other HD channels there so I'm one happy camper. Will give it a few more days/weeks before I call it a total success (knock on wood!).
Old 10-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #433
octomonkee

Pasadena, CA

FYI: Charter told me today that they checked the incoming signal to them from HD KTLA (785), and HD ABC (787) and both are coming to them weak. They're going to look into it. So for everyone in the San Gabriel valley, CA that is having the pixelation problem...they're working on it.

Also told them that I'm not getting audio on 132 (national geographic channel), and 188 (Fuel TV). Anyone else having this problem? Charter told me they'd look into this one as well.
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #434
cotton168

Hey octomonkee,

Yes, Charter is looking into the Channel 5 and 7 HD. I double checked the two other channels that you mentioned and no, I am not getting audio in those two channels either. Didn't notice that since I don't watch either channel, but it is good that you pointed it out. I'm in Monterey Park, CA if you needed that info. Good luck and keep me updated when you hear anything.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #435
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by octomonkee
Also told them that I'm not getting audio on 132 (national geographic channel), and 188 (Fuel TV). Anyone else having this problem? Charter told me they'd look into this one as well.
It's good to hear that they're working on 5HD and 7HD.

And I don't get sound on 132 or 188, either.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #436
randyr6

Does anyone have a phone number for a supervisor or tech who can help me get cablecards installed in my S3 in Altadena. I am getting the royal runaround. After three missed service calls and countless phonecalls to customer service with promises Charter never intends to keep, I am losing patience.
randyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #437
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
ordered the S3 and when it arrived, called to schedule a cable card install. got a VERY hostile CSR who kept repeating "we don't support Tivo" every time i asked a question. i requested a supervisor who kept up that mantra until i finally got a word in edgewise to explain that the S3 is on the CableLabs approved device list, etc, etc. i added that this Tivo is their friend, since i have to subscribe to cable rather than satellite if i want to fully use it. she relented and scheduled an install for one week later.
Keep it up, it will work in the end. You'll need to get someone with the right cards. If you ask to talk to a supervisor and make sure they send the right cards for Tivo Series 3, they should (hopefully, by now) know the ones. The also have to be activated by Charter, once they're put in. Only the Charter techs have the authority to do that. I had the supervisor at my house, and I actually tried all the cards (he brought about 6), and we didn't stop until we found two that worked - by using the "Test Channels" menu item for each cable card. Keep at it, and it will work. Just try to avoid getting mad and frustrated. For me that was the key
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #438
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyr6
Does anyone have a phone number for a supervisor or tech who can help me get cablecards installed in my S3 in Altadena. I am getting the royal runaround. After three missed service calls and countless phonecalls to customer service with promises Charter never intends to keep, I am losing patience.
Hey randyr6, I would actually try to PM Hi-Bred (the poster right after yours) for the Altadena/Pasadena info to contact them. If that doesn't work, try go through the automated hell and ask for a number for their closest center so that you can call them. That was what I did when I got the runaround from Charter. The phone number I got was for their Irwindale office so I didn't need to go through the automated hell. Also, when a tech does arrive, ask him to leave his supervisor's phone number so that you can contact the supervisor directly next time. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #439
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Cable Card Diag Screen

I rebooted my Tivo last night - for some reason, the music & photos features weren't working, and rebooting fixed it - and after the Tivo rebooted and displayed the top menu, the Cable Card Diagnostics screen popped up (the black screen with white text). I pressed 'Clear', then went back, and it appeared again. Finally, I pressed 'Clear', then hit the Tivo button to go back up to the top menu. Then it didn't appear anymore after that point.

I wonder if this is a problem with the Tivo (there seem to be no problems with my channels or dual-tuning ability). I wonder if the next 8.X software upgrade will solve that problem.
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #440
rbprescott

I just had my Charter Cable Guy show up on Saturday at 5:00pm for an 9-12am window to install my cable cards in my new TiVo Series 3. After several calls to "Oz" the cards appeared to work. However it took a 2 hour call to "Oz" on Sunday to have the all of the HD Channels working. I live in Monroe, CT
rbprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #441
shortspecialbus

I live in Madison, WI.

The cable guy came out today and we did the cable cards. He had never done cable cards before, but was game to try them out in the tivo. It took about 15 minutes after giving the pairing information to dispatch for the cards to receive all of the channels on card 1, but card 2 was almost instantaneous.

Everything seems to be working fine now. I'm just hoping I don't lose any channels, but I don't expect any problems.

The only hassle was convincing the sales reps to allow a tech to bring out the cable cards. 3 different sales reps and 2 tech guys swore up and down that their cable cards only worked with charter media and that the TiVo only works with sattelite TV. No words on my part would convince them otherwise, much less that the FCC said they'd have to give me the cards.. Eventually some technical supervisor called me from Michigan and I explained everything to him, and he was fine with it. He already knew they would work in the TiVo and seemed annoyed that the sales people and the tech people wouldn't agree.

He did state maybe they're trained that way so that people don't call up when their TiVo doesn't work or something. At any rate, he was cool and had no problems authorizing the cards, and will probably call back tonight because he's curious to see how it went.
shortspecialbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #442
rickh710

CableCard Screen After Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Bred
I rebooted my Tivo last night ..... and after the Tivo rebooted and displayed the top menu, the Cable Card Diagnostics screen popped up (the black screen with white text)
I had the same thing happen to me last night. rebooted and got the CableCard Diagnostics screen. Cleared it out, then couldn't get a channel on either tuner. Channels came back less than a minute later.

Anyone in Altadena/Pasadena able to tune into Logo on 680? Still getting the "call to authorize" screen on that channel, but I haven't escalated it yet.
rickh710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #443
octomonkee

Quote:
Anyone in Altadena/Pasadena able to tune into Logo on 680? Still getting the "call to authorize" screen on that channel, but I haven't escalated it yet.
It is my understanding that Logo is part of the Showtime premium package. If you're paying for Showtime, then you should get it. If not, then no-go.
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #444
Hayzer

Update from Oshkosh. Charter was here yesterday installed all (3) cards 2 for S3 and One for TV and all worked!!!!! Tech was here for a total of 45min. Best experience I have ever had with Charter. The S3 is work like a charm !!!
Hayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #445
ChuckyBox

D'oh! One of my cards went bad. Yesterday morning I had a look at the TV and got the "Updating firmware" screen of death. Came back last night and it was still there. I fiddled around with the cards, rebooted, etc. Nothing helped. Technician coming Sunday. Ugh.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #446
cotton168

Sorry to hear that ChuckyBox, good luck with it on Sunday. Hope everything will work out well. How is the other card doing? Are you getting all the channels, but only on that one card?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #447
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
Sorry to hear that ChuckyBox, good luck with it on Sunday. Hope everything will work out well. How is the other card doing? Are you getting all the channels, but only on that one card?
Yeah, I yanked the bum card (#1) and stuck #2 in it's slot, leaving #2 empty. I've heard that changing slots doesn't work, but it works for me -- everything is coming in fine on that card. I tried the bad card in slot #2, but got the same result with it there. So I yanked it. But guess what? The TiVo still works in dual-tuner mode. One tuner gets everything, and the other gets all the non-digital stuff. That's not supposed to happen, either. Anyway, I've just got to make sure that my upcoming digital recordings get tuner #1. There aren't many, so I'll probably just manually record something on #2 during that time to make sure it isn't available when the automatic recording kicks in.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #448
cotton168

That is very odd. I can't get dual tuner when I only have one card in. You are one very lucky man! Best of luck to you on the other CC. Hopefully you'll get that one working as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
Yeah, I yanked the bum card (#1) and stuck #2 in it's slot, leaving #2 empty. I've heard that changing slots doesn't work, but it works for me -- everything is coming in fine on that card. I tried the bad card in slot #2, but got the same result with it there. So I yanked it. But guess what? The TiVo still works in dual-tuner mode. One tuner gets everything, and the other gets all the non-digital stuff. That's not supposed to happen, either. Anyway, I've just got to make sure that my upcoming digital recordings get tuner #1. There aren't many, so I'll probably just manually record something on #2 during that time to make sure it isn't available when the automatic recording kicks in.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #449
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
But guess what? The TiVo still works in dual-tuner mode. One tuner gets everything, and the other gets all the non-digital stuff.
If you rerun Guided Setup, you'll go back to single tuner. Both tuners are going to work to tune RF regardless of how many cablecards you have. But, as you've discovered, it doesn't work real well if it decides to record encrypted digital video on the tuner that doesn't have the cablecard attached to it.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #450
GA_HiDef

Question Charter in Roswell, GA

I just got confirmation that my S3 is being delivered from ******* (dot) com on Monday. I'm ready to start the process. There are some encouraging messages here and some not so encouraging. I've been bugging Charter for a DVR for 6 weeks since I moved. They tell me that there aren't any in GA, SC, NC and VA. I'm not sure whether to believe that or not. They must be in the process of switching to the SA box, since I have a non-DVR Motorola at the moment. It looks just like the DVR I had for Comcast when I was in Dunwoody.

I'll be on the phone to Charter tomorrow to get cable cards scheduled.

If anyone else in the area has any experience, please let me know. I'll report on the status of the install as it goes.

Regards,
Robert
GA_HiDef is offline   Reply With Quote