TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
cpucrash0
Premium Member

HDTV question?

I have a tivo series 3 and I've never had hdtv before but I do have a hdtv that does all the formats that the tivo does. Well my question is, How do I know that my hdtv is working since I have never even seen another hd video before? Is there somewhere on the web that I can see sdtv and hdtv picture so I can compare? I don't know if I'm getting the best possible signal of hd so that's why I want to compare. Also what should I set my tv settings contrast,color,color-temperature,Sharpness,etc..? I want the best possible picture for hd that I can get. My tv is widescreen and it's 47" and I bought it about 2 years ago. I have it hooked up to the tivo via hdmi to dvi and I have it set at 1080i fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cpucrash0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Necro

1. You will know. The picture quality is sooo much better.
2. The TiVo lists HD by HD channels.
3. Your TV should have something that tells you the current format of the signal it is receiving.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
ashu
User title defunct

Hunt through avsforums.com for calibration suggestions & advice. If you have 10 days to spare reading threads

As for HD, when your eyes pop out of your head, you'll know. Unless you're blind. Serisously. (yet, meant in humor)
If you have doubts about your HD quality, try an antenna. WHat's your current HD signal source?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
cpucrash0
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Hunt through avsforums.com for calibration suggestions & advice. If you have 10 days to spare reading threads

As for HD, when your eyes pop out of your head, you'll know. Unless you're blind. Serisously. (yet, meant in humor)
If you have doubts about your HD quality, try an antenna. WHat's your current HD signal source?
Well my hd source is cable and antenna. I'm trying to find the right settings for my tv so the hd will look better. Any suggestions?

cpucrash0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
vman41
Omega Consumer

Your TV should have at least 1 composite input (RCA jack with yellow core) available, take the analog A/V cable that came with the TiVo and hook it up at the same time as the HDMI. Tune the TiVO to an HD source and switching between the two TV inputs will clearly show the difference.

Calibration on your own will be tricky unless you can snag some test patterns off HDnet on cable.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is your TV widescreen (16:9)? If you are watching HD it will fill the width of the screen. If it is SD it won't.

(stretch modes not being used)
Old 10-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
Calibration on your own will be tricky unless you can snag some test patterns off HDnet on cable.
That's too generic a statement and sounds like what an 'installer' would like to tell you. With enough patience, knowledge and the right tools available to you, you can calibrate your setup as well as anyone in the world.

That said, I grant that all of those prerequisites sometimes make it worth one's while to have a professional do it for you, for a hefty fee

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
With enough patience, knowledge and the right tools available to you...
In other words, tricky. The reason I'd want any test patterns to come from a broadcast source was that you then make the adjustments based on the performance of all the components in the path, that's all.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote