TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #121
yyzvisitor

Hi all:

I'm relatively new to this, and am interested in the Tivo S3 as a replacement to my 6412 moto box from RCN. We're in Lexington, MA.

What I don't understand is the what the economic advantage is by going this route. You pay several hundred for the box - fine, no problem.

You save the monthly box fee from RCN - great, for me with the DVR its's $17.95 a month.

You pay $1.50 * 3 = $4.50 a month for the Cable Cards, fine, I'm good with that.

But you also pay Tivo $12.95 a month for service? How are you ahead of the game net?

I'm probably missing something here, so please someone/anyone explain it all to me?

Thanks,

yyz
yyzvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #122
flyersfan

It's not all about economics. The S3 is a vastly superior product, not just in the interface but also in the upgradability.

Having said that, a lot of us took advantage of the offer to move Lifetime service from an old unit to the S3. That was the deal-maker for me - I plan on using the S3 for many, many years. Also, lots of Tivo users have more than one box and can take advantage of the lower pricing on the add'l units.
flyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #123
Hank
AC•FTW

First of all, it's 2*1.50 = $3.00 for the cable cards (Tivo only takes 2).

Second of all, you're currently paying RCN $17.95 a month for the cable box, and you'll be replacing that with a Tivo for $12.95? Sounds like a $5/month savings to me. Seriously, the Tivo SERVICE is what you're paying for: superior DVR software, program guide data, and software updates and support. Tivo is not just a box you buy (like a DVD player) -- it needs data and service to actually work. (to be fair, so does the RCN box, but they roll it all together for you).
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #124
nologic

We have achieved the following:

(1) One S-Card works fine, in cable slot 1, with premium and HD channels.

(2) One S-Card only gets standard and non-premium HD channels. This card and no others we inserted into this slot can receive any premium channels. We tried about a dozen cards. Some cards we tried got nothing and a couple (two) achieved this level of receptivity.

Tivo says the problem is with the programming of card 2 within RCN's side, but RCN's supervisor talked with their Technical Tier 3 people, who says both cards are provisioned identically, so it can;t be the programming on their end which is preventing card 2 from receiving the premium channels.
nologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #125
sethacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nologic
We have achieved the following:

(1) One S-Card works fine, in cable slot 1, with premium and HD channels.

(2) One S-Card only gets standard and non-premium HD channels. This card and no others we inserted into this slot can receive any premium channels. We tried about a dozen cards. Some cards we tried got nothing and a couple (two) achieved this level of receptivity.

Tivo says the problem is with the programming of card 2 within RCN's side, but RCN's supervisor talked with their Technical Tier 3 people, who says both cards are provisioned identically, so it can;t be the programming on their end which is preventing card 2 from receiving the premium channels.
I am having exactly the same problem with my Tivo. RCN claims that they are working with Tivo to resolve this problem.

I have two Motorola cards installed in my Series 3.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Regards,
Seth
sethacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #126
jbdecker
Tivomofo

I've had my series 3 for five months now with RCN in Chicago with only the first card working with hd and upper cable channels. I basically gave up after 5 visits from RCN getting that second card working but thought I would try calling tonight to set up another apt.

My current set up is a Standard Motorola card in slot one and a M series in slot two. This is because they ran out of the standard cards on my first apt and claimed that Motorola only had M series now.

The RCN rep told me tonight that Tivo finally acknowledged that it's a tivo issue with the M cards and gave me case #6896941 to use with Tivo tech support. RCN flat out refused to even try anything else with these cards because tivo is taking the blame.

I'll try calling tivo tomorrow when the wait time is less than 45 mins but has anyone else had this problem? Looks like I may be switching back to Comcast. I'm getting fed up with grey screens when recording HD and really don't want to go back to 1 tuner.
jbdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #127
Voodoo22

We were missing certain high end channels on one of our 2 cards, and Tivo would record blank time or nothing at all..

While we were on vacation, (neice was watching the house) RCN sent <<5>> people over to look at our problem. 2 from RCN, 2 from Motorola, and one from TIVO!!!! At least that's what they told her. They spent 2 hours onsite and used the opportunity to provide someone some training.

All of our tivo channels work now..
But, we still have an STB for PPV and IT DOESN'T WORK ANY MORE! *****heads!!!

Oh well time to schedule another visit..
Voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #128
DeathRider

I have 2 M cards in my S3, don't seem to have a problem...

As for not getting HD on one of the cards, when I had the old S cards, I went back to the Arlington office, they forgot to add HD ttier to my package. As soon as they did, everything was working fine
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #129
babywong

Hi, RCN customer in NYC.

Recently upgraded to TIVO HD DVR and not getting premium channels (anything over 100), but able to see HD channels in 700 range.

The guide is registering the channels but the screen is gray, nothing to see, no sound.

I have 1 M card in the slot. Also tried the cable box prior to receiving the M card, none of the channels worked.

Anyone experiencing the same problems? We've been on the phone with RCN forever, 2 tech support guys came out and resetting the setup doesn't help either.
babywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #130
Pezzah

CableCARD install issue in DC

RCN tech came out today to install 2 CableCARDs in my S3 and seemed knowledgable enough (I was glad it was a RCN person versus 3rd party). He tried to install three different M cards and none worked. That is, on the Tivo menu, tivo saw that the cards were inserted into slot one, but no menu came up and the message was CableCard 1 not in normal operating mode - or something to that effect. He is coming back tomorrow and I told him to bring as many CCs as available so we can find some that work.

Any other hints/advice for those of you with success stories?
Things I need to tell him to try?

BTW, I bought my S3 after taking advantage of lifetime transfer from my S2, but never got around to setting it up as I got used to my Moto 6412 dvr for the time being. I was happy enought with the moto box but do miss the tivo interface. I still use my s2 as it is networked for access to my mp3s and photos. It would be a shame to have to revert to the cable dvr but most of my viewing is HD now so hoping for the best...

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer...
Pezzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #131
sethacker

I am having this exact same problem. Tivo says that RCN has to make sure that the card is paired correctly. No one at RCN has ever heard of pairing cards. The tech they sent out had no clue and he even asked the guy on the phone. The tech is coming back with a card that he says works tonight. We'll see. If this doesn't work. It's back to comcast.
sethacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #132
Pezzah

Two tech visits so far and no luck. Updated S3 firmware now allows the cards to be recognized but none can get the channel map working. When I do a channel test, I went through all the tivo troubleshooting pages with the tech as well with no luck. Truly amazing how difficult this is.

RCH is coming back this afternoon with a couple of "experts" this time --- we'll see. I gotta give them credit for trying...
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #133
LifeIsABeach

Make sure they are inserting and initializing one card at a time. Many of us had the problem of the tech putting both cards in at once and they would never work. Once they did one at a time (as the instructions say to do) the cards initialized immediately. Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #134
JackFrost

N.W. DC RCN cable card saga

NW D.C. RCN cable CableCard + RCN + Tivo HD saga

Current tally:
2 missed appointments
2 installer visits
0 cablecards working
1 excellent response from D.C. government

After the first missed appointment, I tried waiting in the endless RCN phone queue to try to reschedule and lost patience after ~30 minutes. I submitted a complaint to DC government via this url <octt.dc.gov/services/complaints/index.shtm> and got a call back from both a DC government employee and an RCN employee within 15 minutes. The fact that DC government has better customer service than RCN is striking.

The installer tried five cards which produced the 161-1 error code and one that produced the 161-4 error code. I was busy dealing with the installer while here was here and didn't have a chance to google for 161-4 and determine that this was an ignorable error until after he left.

I'm now waiting for the installer's supervisor to call to schedule another appointment.
JackFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #135
Quaxtro

I getting a Series 3 very soon!

I can't wait! However I'm not looking foward to the nightmare of dealing with RCN!!
I've learned a few things here (like making sure each card is activated one at a time and NOT together) so we'll see how it goes.
Quaxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #136
Rajimene

Its Finally working!

Queens, NY. After 5 (FIVE) visits from RCN my M-card is finally working! I was ready to send it back to TIVO for a refund... But now... I can't be happier!!!
Despite all the difficulties, the RCN technicians and specially their supervisor, were nice and worked hard on this matter. Just be patient and things will work out. Make sure the installer brings a working card with him (I mean: one already tested either on the field or at their facilities...)
Rajimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #137
Lenonn

We are in Montgomery County, MD.

I didn't post out story earlier. RCN came out and installed our single M-card in the TiVoHD. For about a week, we weren't getting the DigitalVisionPlus premium channels, so I called RCN, and it took two signals/refreshes/pushes of increasing strength before the premium channels started working. But aside from that, no problems. And we haven't had any problems with the cablecards since then.
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #138
fitzie

Upgrade RCN/Boston

Having read the entire thread, I still have a number of questions. I'm in greater Boston, have a couple of S1s that I've upgraded myself, and am served by RCN. Currently, I have a combo which includes premium cable, telephone and Internet.
My current TV is a 35" Mitsubishi analog. What needs to happen to get to where II want to be: HDTV and TiVo series 3 HD? Am I mising anything?

1) Buy HDTV - I noticed that some people have a CC for the TV. Under what circumstances would I want a TV that needs a CC. Since I've not yet purchased a HDTV, it sounds like something I need to research more. Do all HDTV units have a CC slot? I'm thinking around a 37", non-plasma, unless Plasma screen burn-in problems have been resolved. Obviously, I should probably have this present and installed before getting too involved with the other steps, right? Stupid Question - Do HDTVs receive Analog signals? I ask because if I need to install everything at the same time I will, but I'd prefer to do things in some predictable order.

2) Buy TiVo S3 HD DVR - Got an e-mail from TiVo saying they'd upgrade my Lifetime sub from S1 to S3 for $199, if I a) Purchsed TiVo S3 HD by 11/8, and b) transferred/activated service by 12/8. This offer seems to be valid only with the cheaper of the two S3 HD models, i.e., the $299 model. Do I care? Buy now and upgrade later?

3) Additional TiVo support - The current upgrade offer allows me to keep the old TiVo online at no extra charge for 12 months. What about the end of the 12 month period? Does that become a low monthly charge? What about if I want to add an additional unit, S3 or otherwise?

4) Call RCN - This seems easier said than done, and while I could call Comcast, I'd prefer not. What's the diff between two single stream (S-CARD) cards or a multi stream M-CARD? Does RCN care? I currently have two analog TVs, and two Motorola cable boxes. I also have two series 1 TiVos, but only one is online or subscribed. It sounds as though I'll been one cable box, and return the other to RCN. While I'm at it, maybe I'll actually buy a new Cable Modem, instead of renting theirs for $3/month. Right now my cableTV related items on the bill are:

-Basic Cable $42.00
-HBO $17.95
-NEW DIGITAL VISION $21.95
-DIGITAL CONVERTER RENTAL $4.95
-DIGITAL CONVERTER RENTAL $7.95
-HBO ON DEMAND $0.00
How will be monthe charges change, other than - 1 digital converter and + 1,2 or 3 Cable cards?

5) Hope that I get a decent installer.
fitzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #139
fitzie

Very Subtle

Exactly what is the diff between the TiVo HD and the TiVo Series 3 HD boxes? I made a couple of assumptions that I now believe to be incorrect. Does everybody here realize that the cheaper model sometimes is refered to as an S3 and sometimes is not?

I think TiVo is shooting themselves in the foot with this poor differentation of models and features. I almost ordered the cheaper one, thinking I had a top of the line unit, except for disk size.

The differences I can see are:
1) S3 has bigger drive
2) S3 has THX certification
3) S3 can't use 1 M-CARD, needs two of eithe M-CARD or S-CARD.
fitzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #140
lylo

Hi

Im a Time Warner NYC customer thinking of switching to RCN. I've had the same ongoing problem that many of you seem to have in that my CC 2 slot on my S3 will not get any non network channels ( get NBC, CBS etc and their HD equivalents). I've had about six new cards put in. Some work for a month some work for a few days. This is not the 9.1 bug that I've read about as its been going on since I've owned the unit and is not fixed by a reboot or a pulling/inserting the card and rerunning setup.

My questions are, do the Motorola cards work better than the Scientific Atlanta? Are the M cards more reliable than the S cards? Has anyone ever had this problem permanently fixed?
lylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #141
Pezzah

Installation Update - Success!

Just following up on my previous posts...

It turned out the my S3 box had an issue with the cable card interface slots not being able to recognize/decode channels.

After a call to Tivo, I sent back the box and they sent a replacement. (They emailed mailing labels so the process was relatively painless.)

I plugged in the new Tivo, plugged in the 2 M-cards at the same time (starting with the lower slot first), and made a call to RCN to send a signal down to the CCs...

Result? Both M-cards were decoding basic cable channels but I was missing my HD or premium channels on both cards

One more visit from RCN, and issue resolved. The issue was that the cable card id numbers were not listed accurately in my account. One call from the tech to send down a new signal and everything works well now. I thought the RCN folks were polite and informed enough, at least when I finally got to the right guy...

After all this I am happy that I made the decision to switch from the moto 6416 box. There are some thing I prefer about that box, but at least so far the S3 has better functionality and better overall interface... watching HD sports content in slow/fast motion is a good example of what I think is superior tivo processing...

Good luck all...
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #142
MJ-bos

Quick note from an RCN customer in Arlington MA -

Installation of (2) cards in a TivoHD - under 30 minutes. They did have to change some setting in my account, but after that it worked flawlessly. Pretty painless.

It looks like one card is an M and the other is an S, so I may toy with fate and pull the 2nd S card and see if it still works (why spend the extra $1.50/month if it's not necessary...)

Cheers,
mj
MJ-bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #143
Hank
AC•FTW

I have RCN in Boston.

What's it mean when one of my CC gets all the channels, but the other one stops at channel 99? Anything above 99 just gets me a blank/black screen.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #144
fergie8
TiVoite via RCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-bos View Post
Quick note from an RCN customer in Arlington MA -

Installation of (2) cards in a TivoHD - under 30 minutes. They did have to change some setting in my account, but after that it worked flawlessly. Pretty painless.

It looks like one card is an M and the other is an S, so I may toy with fate and pull the 2nd S card and see if it still works (why spend the extra $1.50/month if it's not necessary...)

Cheers,
mj
When the RCN tech did my cable card install here in Chicago he was totally clueless about the M cards. He was treating me as the clueless one and insisting that I would need two M cards if I wanted both tuners to work. I told him to install just one and that would be that. He did and it worked, of course.

When I had to return my TiVo HD for a replacement I had to go through the exact same drill again. Different tech, same insistence on two M cards. Same insistence from me that he only install one. And, of course, it worked again.

It's your equipment. Insist that they do the right thing!

A side effect of the second cable card install into my replacement TiVo HD was that it was treated as a repair run rather than a new install. So I didn't get billed anything for the truck roll the second time.
fergie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #145
dwiener

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergie8 View Post
When the RCN tech did my cable card install here in Chicago he was totally clueless about the M cards. He was treating me as the clueless one and insisting that I would need two M cards if I wanted both tuners to work. I told him to install just one and that would be that. He did and it worked, of course.

When I had to return my TiVo HD for a replacement I had to go through the exact same drill again. Different tech, same insistence on two M cards. Same insistence from me that he only install one. And, of course, it worked again.

It's your equipment. Insist that they do the right thing!

A side effect of the second cable card install into my replacement TiVo HD was that it was treated as a repair run rather than a new install. So I didn't get billed anything for the truck roll the second time.
I just had my single M card installed last week. Took a while of hits to get all my channels, and checked before he left to make sure my old cable card in my TV was still functioning correctly. Is it necessary to get a tech for installation when transferring the card to a new box? Before the install I tried the single stream cable card from my TV in the TIVO and after it was refreshed - the cable system does this periodically - it recognized all my cable channels.
dwiener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #146
MJ-bos

Hank - that's what happened with my 2nd card - it stopped at the encrypted channels. They had to redo some of the provisioning, hit the card again, and everything worked.

Cheers,
mj
MJ-bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #147
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-bos View Post
Hank - that's what happened with my 2nd card - it stopped at the encrypted channels. They had to redo some of the provisioning, hit the card again, and everything worked.

Cheers,
mj
Great - thanks. I'll give them a call.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #148
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzie View Post
1) Buy HDTV - I noticed that some people have a CC for the TV. Under what circumstances would I want a TV that needs a CC. Since I've not yet purchased a HDTV, it sounds like something I need to research more. Do all HDTV units have a CC slot? I'm thinking around a 37", non-plasma, unless Plasma screen burn-in problems have been resolved. Obviously, I should probably have this present and installed before getting too involved with the other steps, right? Stupid Question - Do HDTVs receive Analog signals? I ask because if I need to install everything at the same time I will, but I'd prefer to do things in some predictable order.
Just to answer this (even though it's old):

Only reasons you would have/want a TV with CC:

If you happen to be recording 2 shows on the TiVo and want to watch a 3rd channel "LIVE". Not just that the channel you want to watch might be encrypted, but RCN seems to change what frequency the digital channels reside...ie they seem to be remapped often (or least seemed to me).

Or for people who don't want a set top box...maybe a second TV in another room not hooked up to a TiVo/STB.
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #149
ctortola

Boston RCN Cablecards - no compatability??

Hi

My mother is trying to upgrade from an SD TiVo to an HD TiVo, and was told by an RCN customer service representative that RCN cablecards are incompatible with S3 or HD TiVO. Is this really true, or did the CSR not know what she was talking about? My mother said the CSR was reading off a card.

She's in Lexington.
ctortola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #150
Hank
AC•FTW

I'm in Brookline and got two RCN cablecards for my S3 when it came out. No problems here. They just don't know what they're talking about. Get a different CSR.