Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #91
CTLesq
Oppressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm1514
Good to know that I am not the only one with no picture in ch188. It means that RCN is the likely source of the problem.

However, this issue doesn't seem to be the same as the "no sound" thread I was pointed to by CrispyCritter. If I understood correctly, a channel will have no video if its PCR PID is different than the Video PID, but that is not the case with RCN:

PCR PID: 32
Audio PID: 33
Video PID: 32

Bananaman, do you have the same PID values for ch188?
Make that 3 of us. I would be happy to confirm or contradict your PID numbers but I don't know what they mean or what how to check them.

Happy Series 3 Owner!
CTLesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #92
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLesq
Make that 3 of us. I would be happy to confirm or contradict your PID numbers but I don't know what they mean or what how to check them.
You can get the PIDs of the currently tuned channels by going to:
Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> Diagnostics

I don't know what is a PID. I assume some sort of tuning parameter.
exm1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #93
CTLesq
Oppressor

Quote:
You can get the PIDs of the currently tuned channels by going to:
Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> Diagnostics

I don't know what is a PID. I assume some sort of tuning parameter.
Thanks

In that case I am:

PCR PID: 49
Audio PID: 52
Video PID: 49

And in case you were wondering 188 is still volume no picture.

Happy Series 3 Owner!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #94
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

I've been reading TiVo's documentation on troubleshooting cablecard issues and I've noticed that RCN has not paired the cablecards to my DVR.

I've been reviewing the cablecard's conditional access screen (as described in http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...1-D8CD0D5C0824) and the info for ch188 looks pretty much like the last screen image (at the bottom of the page). The only difference is that my screen displays "Host Validation: Unknown 00" and "CCI: 0x00" instead.

Looking at the cablecard's pairing page I get a screen just like the screen in step 4 in http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...C-8AE7B4EB5249

So it seems that RCN may not be pairing cablecards to the hosting devices in Manhattan. I don't know what is the effect of not having a "paired" cablecard. As far as I can tell, according to the TiVo trouble shooting guide, it only seems to matter in content copy protected channels... but ch188 is not copy protected and I can't get an image, as I mentioned earlier, I can get any other channel though.
exm1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #95
DeathRider

I had to move by the end of April (Waltham, Ma Address), so I had to give up my working cable cards

I called RCN last week (actually stopped in RCN's Arlington office) to schedule a install in Natick, Ma address. They came by Tuesday for the install. I thought I would need 2 cable cards, since the previouus install were single stream cards.

The installer was an independent contractor. As he was installing the CCs (both at the same time), I noticed they said M-CARD on them. I asked if that meant they were multistream cards. He said they weren't.

S3 works fine. As soon as "The Office" and "Smallville" are done recording, I'm going to remove CC #2 and see if both tuners still work

BTW, TNT HD showed up (channel 173), but no schedule...does anyone in Ma get the schedule?
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #96
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

DeathRider what is RCN charging you per month for each card?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #97
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
I'm in RCN Boston area, and they're charging me $1.50/month/card.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #98
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
S3 works fine. As soon as "The Office" and "Smallville" are done recording, I'm going to remove CC #2 and see if both tuners still work
No need to try. One CC turns the unit into a single tuner even if you have an OTA antenna plugged in.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #99
bananaman

Quote:
Good to know that I am not the only one with no picture in ch188. It means that RCN is the likely source of the problem.

However, this issue doesn't seem to be the same as the "no sound" thread I was pointed to by CrispyCritter. If I understood correctly, a channel will have no video if its PCR PID is different than the Video PID, but that is not the case with RCN:

PCR PID: 32
Audio PID: 33
Video PID: 32

Bananaman, do you have the same PID values for ch188?
Sorry exm1514 I was out of town for a while. The answer is no I do not have the same PID values for ch188. Here is my PID situation:

Tivo Series 3 George:

PCR PID: 48
Audio PID: 49
Video PID: 48

Tivo Series 3 Jane:

PCR PID: 145
Audio PID: 148
Video PID: 145

Not sure what this all means.

Has anyone taken a good run at RCN to see if they can fix this channel?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #100
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
I'm in RCN Boston area, and they're charging me $1.50/month/card.
Yeah, that's what they were charging me before, so I hope it doesn't change.

I'm just glad I'm getting the DigitalVisionPlus promo for a year again instead of 6 months

I think my bill is supposed to be $89/month for DVP, 2 CCs, 5Mb internet, and 1 cable box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach
No need to try. One CC turns the unit into a single tuner even if you have an OTA antenna plugged in.
Yeah, got the message as soon as I pulled the CC#2.

Not like $1.50/month will break me
Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #101
tetzel1517

Hey everyone, I'm an RCN customer in Washington DC and I really, really want to get a Series 3, but I have some nagging doubts. I was hoping some of you could help me out...both my concerns relate to the forced obsolescence of the Series 3:

1. Isn't a change to switched video, even if it's not going on right now, inevitable in the near future? If so, would that require a new Series 3, or could a Tivo software update fix any issues?

2. Aren't I just better off waiting for CableCard 2.0 (which would add the two-way communication SDV requires)? Or, again, is that something the S3 could support merely through a software update?

Basically, I want to know how long my S3 box would be useful if I got it. It's a lot of money to spend, and I don't want to shell it out if it's going to be replaced by something better or, even worse, rendered obsolete within 3 years.
tetzel1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #102
DeathRider

Anybody in RCN Boston area getting channel guide data for 173/TNT HD?

Channel# and letters show up, just says "to be announced"

Thought I'd ask before contacting TiVo...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #103
entropy

I see the same thing... and this happened on National Geograhic HD for a long time before TiVo caught up.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #104
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
I see the same thing... and this happened on National Geograhic HD for a long time before TiVo caught up.
Thanks for the responding.

For me, NGC HD didn'teven show up in the guide as a channel for me. I noticed it on my brother's Moxi box, since I have my TiVo guide set only for "channels I receive", which is how most would. When I added it, channel letters weren't even there.

But guide data showed up for NGC HD within days of notifying TiVo of the channel using the form for lineup issues:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/LineUpForm.aspx

I chose "Program Descriptions are Incorrect" and filled in arbitrary times/shows this time since the channel itself shows up in the guide this time.

Last edited by DeathRider : 05-21-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #105
CTLesq
Oppressor

Hey, just as an FYI for everyone, I just called RCN bc I wanted to dump their Digital Tier (movie channels but not HBO) of programing and the HDTV Tier (HDNET and ESPN etc) of programming.

I just didn't watch them enough to justify the $30 cost per month.

To my suprise the Rep said that RCN stopped charging for the HDTV Tier and could cut the cost of the Digital Tier from $22 a month to $11.

As of last month I was still paying for the HDTV Tier. I don't know how new this change in policy is or if you have to actively pursue it to get it. But I wanted to pass this along so hopefully some of you guys can save some coin.

Best of luck!

Craig

Happy Series 3 Owner!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #106
Hank
AC•FTW

I have something called "New Digital Vision" on my bill for $21.95/month. Is that the same as the HDTV Tier?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #107
CTLesq
Oppressor

Quote:
I have something called "New Digital Vision" on my bill for $21.95/month. Is that the same as the HDTV Tier?
What channels are included? Mine had HDNET, ESPN, - there were only a handful of channels but they got me bc they included ESPN in it.

Does that tier of channels include, for you, movie channels such as Showtime, TMC, Starz etc? That is more in line price wise with what I was paying for those channels than the HD channels (above).

Hopefully you might be able to call them up and save some cash.

Happy Series 3 Owner!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #108
cheviot

Just had a series 3 set up in Philadelphia. $1.50/card/month. The installed arrived with only one card, but had another dropped off in less than 5 minutes, while the first card was still setting itself up. The second card took quite awhile to sync with RCN, but all together the installaion, sans guided setup, was done in about a half hour. Nice work!

First impressions? VERY good picture quality, slow channel changes. Not that channel change speed matters much, I never channelsurf anymore.
cheviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #109
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
For me, NGC HD didn't even show up in the guide as a channel for me.... since I have my TiVo guide set only for "channels I receive", which is how most would. When I added it, channel letters weren't even there.
Channel letters were there for me in January.

You don't need to use your guide to find it if you flip through the channels while the cable guy is installing your cards. "Look, we have NGCHD." "Yep, they added that a while ago."

Quote:
But guide data showed up for NGC HD within days of notifying TiVo of the channel using the form for lineup issues:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/LineUpForm.aspx

I chose "Program Descriptions are Incorrect" and filled in arbitrary times/shows this time since the channel itself shows up in the guide this time.
Huh. I filled that form out in late January, probably using "missing channels" and the change certainly didn't show up in days.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>

Last edited by entropy : 05-21-2007 at 04:35 PM.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #110
DeathRider

Quote:
HD Tier in Ma is free w/converter box or cable cards. Only HD channels that are affected if HD Tier isn't activated in your account are HDMOV, HDNET, and DHD.

Digital Vision Plus just adds channel above 100 and SHO, MAX, Starz, ect. If you have "New Digital Vision", not familiar with that tier. Is it an older one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLesq
What channels are included? Mine had HDNET, ESPN, - there were only a handful of channels but they got me bc they included ESPN in it.

Does that tier of channels include, for you, movie channels such as Showtime, TMC, Starz etc? That is more in line price wise with what I was paying for those channels than the HD channels (above).

Hopefully you might be able to call them up and save some cash.
The HD movie channels show up w/o HD Tier. But Hank and I are in Ma. NYC being a different region may have different options.

http://www.rcn.com/hdtv/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Channel letters were there for me in January.

You don't need to use your guide to find it if you flip through the channels while the cable guy is installing your cards. "Look, we have NGCHD." "Yep, they added that a while ago."

Huh. I filled that form out in late January, probably using "missing channels" and the change certainly didn't show up in days.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>
Well, I filled out the form that i was getting "to be announced" on channel X at certain time when I should be getting "Judging Amy", ect.

Been getting guide data for over a week now
Old 06-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #111
tetzel1517

Did any other RCN subscribers get a letter informing them of pretty significant lineup changes and also mentioning that they were going all-digital with their channel lineup? That would seem to suggest they're freeing up bandwidth in ways that don't involve switching to SDV anytime soon, no? Maybe this was just a DC thing.

Regardless, I'm ordering my Series 3 (and calling the cable company) tomorrow!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #112
grahams

In Watertown, MA:

Got my Series3 on Wednesday and RCN was out on Friday to install my two cablecards... Install took about 45 minutes, but about 10 of that was the tech waiting for someone at dispatch to pick up the phone... After some false starts they got both cards working, but no sound or picture on Discovery HD, HDNET, and HDMOV.. I noticed several other users in this thread have had the same problem.. Anyone have a solution?
grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #113
grahams

Problem solved for me... I called tech support, told them that I didn't have picture or sound on three channels, and it just so happened that those were the only three channels on the HD Tier, so I asked the rep to check to see if that tier was enabled on my account. It wasn't, and now all three channels are working...
grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #114
nologic

I called RCN in Boston to install two cards.

The guy (outsoruced) came out, put the two cards in, called them in to be acticated, and left in 5 minutes.

No service.

Tivo said to I must have faulty cards and to schedule a re-appointment.

The second installer from RCN (actual RCN employee) came today. He switched out the cards with two new cards, called in to RCN to have them "hit" and then had to leave while we were waiting for Tivo to get on line.

Tivo got on the phone and nothing is working. The conferenced in RCN and RCN hit the cards super power (power 4), and still no card works. Tivo has no idea how to get the cards to work. RCN has no idea. Too many hours are being spent on this and no result. Tivo says MCards may be incompatible with Series 3, or at best, only one tuner/MCard will work. Maybe. One day.

Last edited by nologic : 06-30-2007 at 04:13 PM.
nologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #115
nologic

Doesn't anyone have an answer to this quandry? Neither RCN nor Tivo have any idea how to get the cards to work with this Series 3
nologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #116
tetzel1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by nologic
Doesn't anyone have an answer to this quandry? Neither RCN nor Tivo have any idea how to get the cards to work with this Series 3
Well, I'm pretty sure my S3 has two M-Cards in it, and it's working fine. My RCN install was pretty crazy, too. The guy they sent over admitted that RCN never trained its technicians on CableCards, and it took some persistence to get him to follow TiVo's instructions. Then he made a call to RCN and for the longest time, no channels were coming in. Then, suddenly, all the non-premium stuff came on, followed by the premium stuff.

I didn't ask any questions: After all, it works!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #117
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nologic
I called RCN in Boston to install two cards.

The guy (outsoruced) came out, put the two cards in, called them in to be acticated, and left in 5 minutes.

No service.

Tivo said to I must have faulty cards and to schedule a re-appointment.

The second installer from RCN (actual RCN employee) came today. He switched out the cards with two new cards, called in to RCN to have them "hit" and then had to leave while we were waiting for Tivo to get on line.

Tivo got on the phone and nothing is working. The conferenced in RCN and RCN hit the cards super power (power 4), and still no card works. Tivo has no idea how to get the cards to work. RCN has no idea. Too many hours are being spent on this and no result. Tivo says MCards may be incompatible with Series 3, or at best, only one tuner/MCard will work. Maybe. One day.
I have regular cards and still had the same problem you are having. Have the guy come out, insert ONE card, and have it initialized (as it says in the TiVo instructions). He should wait there till it starts working then put in the second card and have it initialized. Again make him wait till it starts working. That is what I had to finally do to get my Series 3 working. Each time they tried doing both cards at once they would not work. Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #118
sethacker

RCN in Chicago, Help!

Today was my second visit from one of RCN Chicago sub-contractors. He brought several cards and was unable to get any to work. Has anybody had this type of problem with RCN and any tips on how to make sure these guys know what they are doing.

I already made sure that he only tried to install a single card in the bottom, but I still don't think he knows what he is doing. When he comes out again are these the steps to follow?

1. Insert the Cable Card in the Bottom slot.
2. Wait for the MMI screen to appear
3. Have him call to initialize the card
4. Do the channel check

If okay, repeat with the second card.

To this point I haven't seen the MMI screen appear after inserting the card. How long does this take?

Regards,
Seth
sethacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #119
chandler1818

RCN, MoCo Maryland

I realize this is slightly off topic, but is anyonelse now getting ESPN2 HD? I just started getting it on ch 170 this week. Does anyone out there know if there are more new HD channels to come?
chandler1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #120
sethacker

RCN Chicago, Solved

Folks,
Just spent the last 40 minutes on the phone with Tivo and RCN and now I have two working cable cards. The process was relatively painless. The Tivo rep checked to make sure the cards were receiving data. Once this was confirmed she suggested that I call RCN cablecard support and have them re-initialize the cards. The card in slot one started on the first try. The card in slot two started on the second try.
Regards,
Seth
sethacker is offline   Reply With Quote