TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #61
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker
I believe ESPN HD is encrypted where the HD Tier is an additional charge. That is "LHV" and "NY" according to the RCN HDTV page. I'm in one of those areas and it is indeed encrypted.
Sorry for this late reply. I saw that page. I was tying to give champion a nudge to test other channels (since ESPN HD isn't encrypted in Ma)
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #62
entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker
Tivo's line-up is screwy. It did the "is this channel x?" thing, and apparently picked "digital rebuild" which should be ok since according to RCN, that's what I have. Tivo's version of "digital rebuild" doesn't match, however, so Tivo suggested I use plain "digital" instead.
You can bypass TiVo's guessing game by choosing your channel lineup manually. To do this, you press "enter" at the "cable channel lineup" screen just before the guessing game starts, as described in the fine print at the very bottom of the screen where you might not see it and have to read about it on the forum after you chose the wrong lineup. And people wonder why I care about interface design.

This doesn't help if TiVo doesn't actually have the right lineup info. I have to use "digital basic" even though that lineup includes all the digital channels I'm not paying for.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #63
Gryfflet

RCN out of CableCards

I finally upgraded to an HDTV (37" Westinghouse 1080p) and just called RCN about getting 2 CableCards, but they say they're out and not sure when they'll get more from the manufacturer. My area (Boston), California, and other markets are all out, and they didn't have another alternative for me. I'd hate to switch to Comcast, but I also don't want to wait too long for HD channels. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
Gryfflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #64
LifeIsABeach

That sucks. My apartment complex is switching from their own home-brew cable company to RCN on March 1st. I was hoping to finally be able to use my Series 3 for more than OTA HD. Hope they get some in soon.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #65
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfflet
I finally upgraded to an HDTV (37" Westinghouse 1080p) and just called RCN about getting 2 CableCards, but they say they're out and not sure when they'll get more from the manufacturer. My area (Boston), California, and other markets are all out, and they didn't have another alternative for me. I'd hate to switch to Comcast, but I also don't want to wait too long for HD channels. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
Sorry to hear. When I got my CCs from Arlington, they told me they were the last ones they had and would be waiting on the new MCards (which would take months).

I got my first cable bill (I'm not home, going by memory)

1 SD STB: $2.95
2 CC: 2x$1.50: $3
Cable modem: $2.95
1.5Mbit: $16.95
DigitalPlus: $58
HBO: $11.95

Downstairs:
1 TV hooked up to STB,
1 TV in bedroom direct cable

Upstairs:
1 HDTV direct cable;
1 S3 (2 CC), HMI to HDTV;
1 S2 direct cable, SVideo to SDTV;
1 SDTV direct cable

I would guess Comcast, I would pay more for additional I/O, plus isn't each premium additional?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #66
entropy

Quote:
My area (Boston), California, and other markets are all out, and they didn't have another alternative for me. I'd hate to switch to Comcast, but I also don't want to wait too long for HD channels. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
That does suck, but IMO switching to Comcast from RCN would be like shooting yourself in the foot--painful and stupid. The combination of OTA HD and downloading shows from the Internet (that's what it's for afterall ) should tide you over until RCN gets more CableCARDs. eztvefnet is your friend. :-)

It's a good sign that they are running out--that will belie any claim the cable companies make that users don't care about dis-integration.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #67
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
I finally upgraded to an HDTV (37" Westinghouse 1080p) and just called RCN about getting 2 CableCards, but they say they're out and not sure when they'll get more from the manufacturer. My area (Boston), California, and other markets are all out
You may want to try calling RCN. The guy just came to hook me up and he had two cable cards with him. Trying to set them up now. Whoohoo!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #68
slrdc

For those in the DC area, I just received a call from RCN saying that they just received a new shipment of CableCards and will be scheduling installation appointments this weekend onwards.
slrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #69
DeathRider

Anyone here getting the National Geographic Channel in HD yet? I was over my brother's house (Natick) last Thursday and he is getting it on his 6412...

website channel list says it's 172 in Boston area...

I'll have to double check when I get home...

Last edited by DeathRider : 03-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #70
ectx

First off...many thanks to the members of this forum. I've been lurking for a while and this is part of the reason I got a series 3. I found one in stock at my local BB and after talking to my RCN person I was told they could get a tech at my place the next day with two cards...I purchased my series 3 and awaited delivery the next day. The following day I get a call around 7:30 am telling me no cards were in stock, that RCN no longer was providing them because they were giving them too much of a hassle and that a manager would call me in 2 hours.

3 hours later I called back and told them about the conversation with my technician. The RCN operator was very courteous and apologized. He also informed me that they had to, by law, make the cards available. He did add that at the moment there was a very high demand for them and that they were out. He assured me that I would get a call as soon as they were in. This last week I got a call and set up my delivery date for Saturday.

I awaited anxiously the next morning. The guy came in. I gave him the Tivo instructions (which he ignored) and he plugged in both cards at once. Of course it didn't work. I pointed out it was 1 at a time. After talking to dispatch he lets me know that it's 1 at a time. LOL.

He puts in the first card and the card isn't picking up any information. I let him know that he has to call dispatch and have it activated. He ignores me again. He tries the other card which flat-out isn't recognized by the tivo. He then places the other card in and tells me he has to call dispatch to have it activated. This time the card is recognized but gets stuck on a perpetual bubble of "searching for channel information". ARRRGH. He says it takes a while and that he has to go but once it works to pop in the other and it should be fine. 2 hours later it's still stuck on "searching for channel info". I call RCN and they hit it again with a signal and they eventually get it to work. The one card is active, the other is completely dead. It was a used card too, complete with a dented case and wornout pins/connectors. They schedule another visit to get the card replaced. By this time I notice that half my channels are missing and I have the infamous no sound on HDNET channels symptoms. They refused to send any more signals to my card although each signal was greeted with additional channels. They claimed the signal resets would fry my card. Personally...it's their card so I don't care if they fry it. I just want the darned thing to work like it's supposed to.

Cross your fingers folks. I love the new series 3 on the channels that work and can't imagine using a crappy motorola DVR just to get an HD DVR. I'll be getting the new card tomorrow and I think the technician now understands more or less what's involved.

Interestingly, on RCN tech support person told me the cards were authorized by tivo not the cable company. I asked her how tivo would authorize RCN's cards without access to RCN's network. She had no answer to that and then agreed to zap my card. LOL. I swear they just need to give their technician's better training. She also attempted to tell me she could see both cards were active on the network....only one card was inserted. It was really really hard for me not to be a smart ass. LOL. I know she's just doing her job and that her failure to fix the problem is more a reflection of her training, but geeze, if you don't know, ask, and whatever you do, don't make stuff up. I bit my tongue and told her I'd wait for another technician to come by.
ectx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #71
ectx

Man I feel like an ass...the guy who was completely clueless came back today and must have done his homework. He brought enough cable cards to keep on replacing if necessary, put everything into the machine in order and talked it through with the guy at dispatch....something the guy at dispatch said that was apparently key for setting up cards in a series 3 with RCN is that a regular "hit" or activation signal will not do. The cards need an "IN" hit ...whatever that means. I figured I'd post it in here so that folks having problems installing the cable cards on their series 3 receivers through RCN will have an easier go at it.

Kudos to RCN for coming through in the end with exceptional customer service.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #72
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
Anyone here getting the National Geographic Channel in HD yet?
I get it on channel 126 in the Philadelphia area.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #73
ectx

I get it too. It along with Discovery HD are now my favorites. National Geographic HD is on 546 in Chicago, RCN, BTW. It's not been added officially so you may have to do a manual channel set up.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #74
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectx
I get it too. It along with Discovery HD are now my favorites. National Geographic HD is on 546 in Chicago, RCN, BTW. It's not been added officially so you may have to do a manual channel set up.

I went and added 172 as channels received. No channel ID and just said Regular Schedule.

Last week, I went to TiVo's lineup issue page and filled out the form with a link to RCN's MA's channel lineup page.

This Monday when I came home, there was a message on my S3 that channel 172 NGCHD had been added

[edit]

Was browsing channel lineups for other areas. Noticed, none are the same. Some just say HDTV, some say HDTV Basic/HDTV Tier (Basic will come in with unencrypted with QAM tuner, Tier needs a box or CCs)

I see some get TNTHD. Might want to check your lineup page now and then to see if new channels have been added. Like I posted, only noticed NGCHD because it showed up on my brother's cable box.

Last edited by DeathRider : 03-19-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #75
ectx

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully this will get the correct information downloaded to my tivo. Loving the series 3, btw. I can't wait till they add the support for external drives. I find myself recording way too much HD content, lol.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #76
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

Is there anyone waiting for a cablecard installation from RCN in NYC?
Two weeks ago I contacted RCN I was told they were out of cablecards. I've been trying to obtain an ETA from them, but no luck so far.

If there is someone in the same boat as me, I'll appreciate it if you could post info in this thread as soon as you find out. I'll do the same. I would hate to miss the upcoming cablecard shipment.

Thanks.
exm1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #77
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

Got a call from RCN. Cablecards are once again available in NYC.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #78
ectx

I'm still not getting program information for National Geographic HD and WCIU. I may call Tivo directly as it's been over a week.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #79
andrewb

RCN Boston -- Not too smooth

Here's my story with RCN in Watertown, MA -- so far.

When I first called them they said CableCards were backordered and had no ETA. I asked for a ballpark -- 1 week, 1 month, 6 months? No idea. But they said they'd put me on the list.

I called them a week later and they scheduled an install. (Strange because I thought they were going to call me when they got the cards. What was this so-called list for anyway?)

Finally they came yesterday. My wife, infant son, 2-year-old, and wife's sister were there but I couldn't be. They said 2-5pm and came at 10am instead. It took the guy 3 hours. Apparently he re-ran guided setup at least once. I had the TiVo CableCard instructions out. He apparently read the manual. And I even talked to him on the phone about how important it was to install the cards one at a time. Anyway, I believe RCN required that they both be plugged in at the same time -- ugh.

So he finally decided he was done and apparently rebooted TiVo. I got home a few hours later and found CableCard 2 "not in normal operation". RCN tech support was nice -- sent all 4 signals to the card (whatever those are) successively. Didn't work. Rebooting yielded error 161-4. I had to go, but called back later to schedule a new technician to come out.

The woman this time told me "if it's the TiVo device that's telling you the CableCard isn't working, it's probably the TiVo that's not working. Have you talked to TiVo tech support? I'd hate to have to charge you for a technician visit." Nice.

Anyway, TiVo, of course, verified it was a blown card. RCN's coming back on Wednesday. Apparently this is quite common. Why?

On the positive side, RCN people were very courteous and pleasant to work with, with the exception of the comment I quoted above. And one of the CableCards works fine. Mostly, though, I'm just annoyed.

I gotta think most people would return the box about now, or would have failed to buy TiVo 3 in the first place after a quick conversation with RCN, who of course warned me that I would not have video on demand or DVR capabilities (wrong, but most sales pitches are). I think about my mother-in-law. No way she'd have a clue what to do next. This is just too much trouble.

-Andrew
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #80
chandler1818

RCN Montgomery County (MD) is out of cable cards thwarting my attempt to set up my brand new S3 (which came after three days from TC store). how hard can this be to keep these in stock? is anyone out there waiting for CC's from RCN? RCN claims that they will call me when they get them in. can i count on them to do so?

btw- someone must be ordering S3 is RCN keeps running out of CC's given how few TV's actually are using cable cards.
chandler1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #81
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb
And I even talked to him on the phone about how important it was to install the cards one at a time. Anyway, I believe RCN required that they both be plugged in at the same time -- ugh.
The first time they tried to install my cards they tried both at once and they could not get them to work (even though I had given him the instructions). The next time the guy came I had him do one at a time and they worked perfectly. I don't think RCN requires they are both in at once. I think the technicians just want to get in and out as quickly as possible.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #82
bizzy

same thing happened to me, i made the dumb assumption that he knew what he was doing, and surprise surprise, neither card would work after he shoved them both in at once.

after i waited half a week for the next appointment, i told the installer that he'd be putting them in one at a time, as the instructions (with big pictures for him) clearly stated.

guess what? those cards worked.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #83
andrewb

RCN QAM and Guide Data

I'd love to be able to tune all QAM channels without a CableCard here in MA, but I can't find ESPN HD or NESN HD. Even if I could, I don't suppose I could map those channels to guide data.

When I told TiVo to scan channels using non-CableCard cable and the antenna it only went up to the 120s I think. I can't actually remember which channel was the highest. There were plenty of sub-channels here and there, but none had guide data.

Is there any way to navigate this unencrypted QAM landscape and add guide data?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #84
flyersfan

Quote:
Is there any way to navigate this unencrypted QAM landscape and add guide data?
No, the best you could do is setup manual recordings for the unencrypted QAM channels.
flyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #85
jbdecker
Tivomofo

Quote:
Here's my story with RCN in Watertown, MA -- so far.

When I first called them they said CableCards were backordered and had no ETA. I asked for a ballpark -- 1 week, 1 month, 6 months? No idea. But they said they'd put me on the list.

I called them a week later and they scheduled an install. (Strange because I thought they were going to call me when they got the cards. What was this so-called list for anyway?)

Finally they came yesterday. My wife, infant son, 2-year-old, and wife's sister were there but I couldn't be. They said 2-5pm and came at 10am instead. It took the guy 3 hours. Apparently he re-ran guided setup at least once. I had the TiVo CableCard instructions out. He apparently read the manual. And I even talked to him on the phone about how important it was to install the cards one at a time. Anyway, I believe RCN required that they both be plugged in at the same time -- ugh.

So he finally decided he was done and apparently rebooted TiVo. I got home a few hours later and found CableCard 2 "not in normal operation". RCN tech support was nice -- sent all 4 signals to the card (whatever those are) successively. Didn't work. Rebooting yielded error 161-4. I had to go, but called back later to schedule a new technician to come out.

The woman this time told me "if it's the TiVo device that's telling you the CableCard isn't working, it's probably the TiVo that's not working. Have you talked to TiVo tech support? I'd hate to have to charge you for a technician visit." Nice.

Anyway, TiVo, of course, verified it was a blown card. RCN's coming back on Wednesday. Apparently this is quite common. Why?

On the positive side, RCN people were very courteous and pleasant to work with, with the exception of the comment I quoted above. And one of the CableCards works fine. Mostly, though, I'm just annoyed.

I gotta think most people would return the box about now, or would have failed to buy TiVo 3 in the first place after a quick conversation with RCN, who of course warned me that I would not have video on demand or DVR capabilities (wrong, but most sales pitches are). I think about my mother-in-law. No way she'd have a clue what to do next. This is just too much trouble.

-Andrew
Andrew-

Were they able to get the 2nd card working on the next visit? Any advice? I have the same "not in working condition" message on my second card. Tivo says it's not authorized but RCN said they can't do anything from the office and I need to have a tech come out.

Thanks

James
jbdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #86
andrewb

RCN came back and made it work. This time the tech was much more helpful and knowledgeable. It's hit or miss with those guys though. They didn't charge me for a second visit because their card was defective. If you can't see the CableCard status screen and TiVo says it's not in normal operation it's likely a bad card and nothing to do with activation -- that's what TiVo support told me.

-Andrew
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #87
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

I've had TiVo installed for over a month and so far it has been great... with only one glitch.
I have one channel with sound but no picture (ch. 188, GolTV, Manhattan Digital). TiVo seems to be able to tune to the channel but there is no picture, only sound and a gray screen. All other channels are fine.

RCN has tried to solve the problem by sending a refresh hit but that didn't work. They believe that there is no problem with the cable signal, and have offered to change cablecards, but they are not guaranteeing that this will solve the problem.

Has anyone experience a problem like this? Is anyone in Manhattan getting ch188 without issues? I find it hard to believe that the cablecards are at fault when everything else seems to work so well.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #88
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm1514
I've had TiVo installed for over a month and so far it has been great... with only one glitch.
I have one channel with sound but no picture (ch. 188, GolTV, Manhattan Digital). TiVo seems to be able to tune to the channel but there is no picture, only sound and a gray screen. All other channels are fine.

RCN has tried to solve the problem by sending a refresh hit but that didn't work. They believe that there is no problem with the cable signal, and have offered to change cablecards, but they are not guaranteeing that this will solve the problem.

Has anyone experience a problem like this? Is anyone in Manhattan getting ch188 without issues? I find it hard to believe that the cablecards are at fault when everything else seems to work so well.
It's most probably an improper setup for this channel by the cable company. See this thread which gives info about how you can find out if it's the problem.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #89
bananaman

I'm also RCN in Manhattan... I just checked and channel 188 has sound but no picture... so it's not a personal problem! I never watch this channel so this hasn't bothered me, but since it is supposed to be part of the lineup I'm paying for, it should work.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #90
exm1514
TiVoUser+RCNCustomer

Good to know that I am not the only one with no picture in ch188. It means that RCN is the likely source of the problem.

However, this issue doesn't seem to be the same as the "no sound" thread I was pointed to by CrispyCritter. If I understood correctly, a channel will have no video if its PCR PID is different than the Video PID, but that is not the case with RCN:

PCR PID: 32
Audio PID: 33
Video PID: 32

Bananaman, do you have the same PID values for ch188?