TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #31
laduv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drews
Just finished my RCN (Chevy Chase, MD) install... One card in my new Sony TV, 2 in the S3 and everything went well. $1.50 monthly per card, $14.95 install for each. Cards were immediately recognized and tuned to HD channels. Tech had not done a TiVo install before and seemed to enjoy trying something new.

Drew
What is the advantage of putting a cable card in your TV as well as in the TiVo?
laduv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #32
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduv
What is the advantage of putting a cable card in your TV as well as in the TiVo?
Perhaps to record two things, and watch a third?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:18 PM   #33
tivochiguy

I wanted to report on my cable card install today.

The installer who came out had already installed one other Series 3. He seemed very comfortable with what steps needed to be done. I held the remote and ran all the menu commands. RCN's system for registering cable cards is very clever with the hand held device they use to scan the cards.

The first card registered right away, but we were not receiving all the HD channels. We then moved on to the second card that was also detected right away. Despite waiting 5 or 10 minutes the channels never loaded up on that card. We decided to reboot the Tivo and that solved the problem. After the reboot, the channels were detected immediately.

The installed told me that cable cards have been in short supply. He also mentioned that they tend to be a pain to work with especially in TVs.

Overall I was very happy with how things went. I think it made a huge difference that I knew all the screens and options and what to expect. The process would have taken 3x longer if he had to go it alone with past experience. Without experience it would have been 5 to 6x longer.

The installer was not an RCN employee but a contractor.
tivochiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #34
donthomasj

Hi, everyone, this is my first post. I'm glad I found this bb as I have the following questions:

I was thinking of changing my TiVo series2 to the series3 for the HD taping. Then I noted on the RCN website that they also have DVRs that record HD. With the high cost of the TiVo Series3... why would I want to spend $800 for TiVo and its costs instead? (by the way, I'm a TiVo lover anyways, so if there are excellent reasons to go with TiVo instead, I would, but I'm pretty ignorant about my choices.)

Thanks
donthomasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #35
sysdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthomasj
Hi, everyone, this is my first post. I'm glad I found this bb as I have the following questions:

I was thinking of changing my TiVo series2 to the series3 for the HD taping. Then I noted on the RCN website that they also have DVRs that record HD. With the high cost of the TiVo Series3... why would I want to spend $800 for TiVo and its costs instead? (by the way, I'm a TiVo lover anyways, so if there are excellent reasons to go with TiVo instead, I would, but I'm pretty ignorant about my choices.)

Thanks
That's easy. I had the DVR you're referring to.

1) the software was HORRIBLE.
2) limited to an 80GB HD
3) It compresses the HD video signal! (so what was the point of HD?)

HD Tivo is expensive, no doubt, but the idea of a lifetime transfer from my Series 1 made me spend the extra cash. Without the lifetime, not quite so sure I would have done it so soon.

Last edited by sysdude : 11-06-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clicked the submit button too soon.. added last comment after list of reasons
sysdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #36
Swisher

I'm a loyal fan of RCN, but I must say I was disappointed with their DVR, especially recently when they "upgraded" the software. This upgrade required that everything on the HD be erased (imagine TiVo doing that!) The end result was a horrible user interface. I'm more loyal to TiVo, so I gave that DVR the boot for the S3. Couldn't be happier.

Just had my two cable cards installed and couldn't stop the guy from sticking them both in at the same time. Wouldn't bother with the simple instruction sheet TiVo provides. So, of course, the second card wouldn't get my premium channels. The guy said I would only get them on one card and left. Knowing that couldn't be right, I called and had them re-set the second card and now all is good.

Swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #37
laduv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysdude
The guy came with 2 cable cards today;He showed up around 10:30am, he left at 1:15pm and I have one kind-of-working tuner.

One cable card was DOA; he had a very hard time getting the live one to authorize.

First it just would not do anything .. "Acquiring channel lineup" (I believe it said.. it was burning into the screen for a VERY long time). After 3 or 4 calls back to the office they zapped the card twice, and finally after unplugging and re-plugging the TiVo, got basic cable channels. The Auth said: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY

By the time we had basic TV, and the local HD stations showing up, I asked him to check the premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc). No deal.. just a grey screen.

He asked them to zap it again... Then his cellphone battery gave up (he had been using the phone actively for a few hours at that point).

Anyway, he had asked them to zap the card again, and at first the TiVo went back into the blue screen with the swirling ball,and I paniced a bit, but the channels did show up... but still not HBOHD...

Now the Cable card says: Auth: Zero_Key

Any idea what that means?

I get to go through it all again tomorrow when they show up with yet another cable card, and that will try again with the authorization.

Does anybody know if the cable company needs a code from the Tivo "cable card" screen in order to authorize things like HBOHD?

Anybody else in the NYC area have experience with RCN doing your cable card install smoothly (or otherwise)?
The exact same thing happened to me. I have 3 cable cards (2 in the S3 and 1 in the TV) and none of them have premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc). All of the other stations work fine. The cable cards in the S3 say: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY.

Tech support on the phone was useless. They said the account was active and sent a signal to "balance" the cards that did nothing. I now have a 2 week wait until a tech comes back.

Anyone have any thoughts?
laduv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #38
sysdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduv
The exact same thing happened to me. I have 3 cable cards (2 in the S3 and 1 in the TV) and none of them have premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc). All of the other stations work fine. The cable cards in the S3 say: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY.

Tech support on the phone was useless. They said the account was active and sent a signal to "balance" the cards that did nothing. I now have a 2 week wait until a tech comes back.

Anyone have any thoughts?
They have to "hit" the cards again with a stronger signal. (how's that for a non technical answer) For me, reglar "hits" did not do it, once it was "hit harder" buy the guys at the central office, they started to work. The second card I received was "new" and not provisioned for use by RCN, so it required them to do a firmware upgrade on the card by sending it yet another signal. The firmware upgrade took what seemed like a long time, but in the end it worked.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #39
flyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysdude
That's easy. I had the DVR you're referring to.

1) the software was HORRIBLE.
2) limited to an 80GB HD
3) It compresses the HD video signal! (so what was the point of HD?)

HD Tivo is expensive, no doubt, but the idea of a lifetime transfer from my Series 1 made me spend the extra cash. Without the lifetime, not quite so sure I would have done it so soon.
While I will be happy to get away from the RCN DVR, #2 and #3 are not correct, at least with the current box. I had a Motorola 6412 Phase III which includes a 120gb hdd. It definitely does not recompress any digital signals - no DVR does that, to the best of my knowledge.

The new software is what's causing me to jump to a S3. I could deal with the quirks/limitations of the old software, but the new load just does too many things wrong. Now if I could only get the damn S3 in my hands, I'll make the switch.
flyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #40
sysdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan
While I will be happy to get away from the RCN DVR, #2 and #3 are not correct, at least with the current box. I had a Motorola 6412 Phase III which includes a 120gb hdd. It definitely does not recompress any digital signals - no DVR does that, to the best of my knowledge.

The new software is what's causing me to jump to a S3. I could deal with the quirks/limitations of the old software, but the new load just does too many things wrong. Now if I could only get the damn S3 in my hands, I'll make the switch.
the DVR I had from RCN did compress the signal. (granted this was before the "upgrade") It was never more clear than when watching PBS in HD and they were showing a running stream. It was almost unrecognizable as water. Large blocks of pixelation. And I probably had an older box with 80GB HD. However, not being able to expand it made the RCN Box pretty horrible for me. Time shifting for me means I can watch the entire season of 24 and Smallville (among others) in the summer. Could not do that with the RCN box. (besides when they decide to "upgrade" *poof* there goes all your recordings)
Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #41
Rucker

My install wasn't completely smooth, but it wasn't too bad. My wife encountered the first issue when she called the customer service line to make an appointment, but they told her RCN no longer offered cablecards. So, she called the local salesperson (who originally signed us up), and he arranged the install.

The next issue came when the installer arrived. He'd never done a cablecard install. He expected to put the cards in and it would just work, but we saw "no channels available" and he had no idea what to do. He had never heard of pairing or initalizing, but both cards started working while he called the office asking if they'd ever heard of that stuff. Apparently RCN doesn't do pairing. All the channels appear to come in (based on the RCN website), and I haven't found any audio issues.

Now my third issue (and hopefully the last) is that Tivo's line-up is screwy. It did the "is this channel x?" thing, and apparently picked "digital rebuild" which should be ok since according to RCN, that's what I have. Tivo's version of "digital rebuild" doesn't match, however, so Tivo suggested I use plain "digital" instead. It seems to be slightly better, but I switched, went through the line-up today, and found 8 incorrect channels (some wrong, some missing, some without guide info). I reported them via the Tivo website, so I'll see how long that takes. I think there are other errors in the MiVision package, but I didn't report them since I don't have the package.

I'm in the Lehigh Valley, btw.

Last edited by Rucker : 11-19-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added location (Lehigh Valley)
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #42
flyersfan

successful install in Lehigh Valley, PA

Well, I sure was nervous when the tech arrived. I've read all the threads and he was as clueless about the install as the previous poster's tech. To make me even more anxious, when he called in the cards to have them "hit", I heard the guy on the other end say "TiVo? ha, good luck!"

However, things actually went pretty smooth. I insisted that we do one card at a time. The first card was able to tune all channels within 2-3 minutes. The second card wouldn't tune the digital channels or HD tier so he reinserted it and had them hit it again. 2-3 minutes later, it could tune all channels.

I haven't checked every single digital channel, but I can confirm that the HD lineup is completely accurate. I transferred lifetime service this afternoon and my wife has already setup a dozen season passes for HD shows.
flyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #43
ravinald

Thumbs up RCN San Francisco Success

Tech showed up at 1 o'clock and left at 1:30. I think we spent more time talking about the features of the S3 and waiting for CC to init the cards.
ravinald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #44
sysdude

I still have 1 nagging problem .. NBC in HD .. the signal goes to 0 (using the TiVo signal meter) about 4 - 6 times an hour. It is the ONLY channel this happens on. I'm sure if I ask RCN they'll tell me it is the wiring in the walls.

I've taken to recording NBC in low-def, where everything works perfectly.. Sad, eh?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #45
Geist420

Lol

RCN's service in the San Francisco area is a joke. The dude not only had no idea how to set up a card in the S3, but he asked me why I didn't just buy a DVR... Uh... WTF do you think the Tivo is?!

The install took __over an hour__ with one of the cards being defective. The tech told me that the Motorola cards they're using are crap and many do not work out of the box. The tech called in the error codes and the RCN phone rep had no idea what those codes meant... God forbid she took 10 seconds on Google...

On the plus-side, they somehow opened up all the HD channels! (No HDTV yet so I know I didn't order it) Thankfully the S3 down-scales them for my old TV! Still, the HD channels DO look better than the non HD ones. Noticably better.

Anyway, I paid $30 to teach/show the tech how to install cablecards. If you have RCN make sure the tech has at least one extra card with him.
Geist420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #46
Andrew054

I just had it installed in the Boston area without too much problem. At first I had to let them know that it was for two cable cards, not one. It took about 10 minutes, and it did work even with the cable person insisting on putting two cards in at once (apparently he was saying that to do it individually would count as "two" separate installs rather than as "one" install). It worked fine initially.

However, I lost the signal after I repeated the guided setup just to make sure I got all the cable channels. I called RCN to have the signal resent (the tech person apparently has heard of having to repeat the signal to TiVo before, though I was on hold for 30 minutes before hand). Now, it's working fine, knock on wood.
Andrew054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #47
eelton

In Chicago...

The first card worked, although it took about 10 minutes on the channel setup screen. The second card was recognized, but no channels appeared. The installer called RCN, who said things looked fine from their end. They decided it might be a bad card, so the installer is coming back tomorrow with another.

I noticed after he left that I'm not getting the premium channels on the first card. I did the automated "converter refresh" by phone, but they're still not working. I'll address that with him when he comes back tomorrow.

By the way, the installer said about 80% of the TiVo installations he's done have had problems, whereas with TVs from Pioneer, Sony, etc. he rarely has problems.
eelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #48
eelton

On the second visit, everything went fine. I believe the problem was at RCN's end, not with the second CableCard that didn't appear to be working yesterday. They had to "hit" each card again, and everything is functioning fine.
eelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #49
chandler1818

Sdv

Does anyone know if RCN has any SDV channels or plan to go to SDV? (Live in montgomery county md).
chandler1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #50
DeathRider

Well, RCN is coming tomorrow to install my cablecards. I guess I can swing the $3/month...
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #51
DeathRider

Well, tech was supposed to show up btween 11 -1. Came around 2p.

Swapped out the 2 old moto boxes and modem for switch of service...

The new moto box is tiny, no display or buttons, no serial data port for S2 to control, uses an external AC adapter.

The new box came with a new remote (same one that comes with the DVR). Cable guy lett me keep the old remote as well.

The cable box is slow in response with the new remote ut very quick using the old remote

Back to the topic:

Installer didn't have any cable cards. Said didn't know anythng about it. I called Arlington's RCN where I had gone to set up everything. I told them I couldn't do a Saturday install, so they asked if I wanted to come down and just pick up the CCs. I said, "Sure."

40 minute round trip, I was back home. I was in a rush, so I installed bothe cards (Moto) into the S3. I then called RCN to activate/initialize them. Both are now active. Didn't see any of the encrypted channels show up (just black pic).

Didn't have any time, so will call RCN on Monday when I'm back home to rehit the cards if the channels still aren't there.

[edit]

Person at the office who setup my account/gave me my cards, said that they no longer offer these and I would be "grandfathered" in. New cards would be out/available in June due for the new roll out of cablecard boxes.

Last edited by DeathRider : 01-13-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #52
DeathRider

Anyone have a pic of the conditional access screen?

I called RCN and had them try to figure out what was up.

The person I was on the phone said, customers would get the digital channels and not some of the analog.

I'm going to Arlington to talk to someone to make sure everything is setup correctly on their end.

Right now, CCs:

Encryption: DES
Connected: yes EnabledbyCP: no
Auth: Missing_Program_rekey or No

Would take a pic, but already discoonnected/unplugged the TiVo...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 PM   #53
DeathRider

Went back to Arlington RCN Monday. They changed a few items in my account.

Went home. Did a refresh over the phone. Card #2 had "EnabledbyCP: Yes"

Called RCN and had them do a cold hit on the cards. Within 10 minutes, both ards are now working

Tomorrow, I'll cancel Tuesday's rollout

Don't know what I would have done without everybody here
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #54
jonathanlehman

No channels over 100?

Hello there-

I'm in the throes of getting my Series 3 box set up with RCN here in Chicago. After one service appointment with a bum cable card (the warehouse was out of cards, so the tech couldn't bring along a second), I've got a temporary DVR converter box and am reattempting to get the Tivo up and running again with a service appointment next weekend.

I just spoke with a customer service agent who informed me that with a cable card, I won't be receiving any channels over 100? Could this possibly be true?

Thanks so much,
Jon
jonathanlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #55
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanlehman
Hello there-

I'm in the throes of getting my Series 3 box set up with RCN here in Chicago. After one service appointment with a bum cable card (the warehouse was out of cards, so the tech couldn't bring along a second), I've got a temporary DVR converter box and am reattempting to get the Tivo up and running again with a service appointment next weekend.

I just spoke with a customer service agent who informed me that with a cable card, I won't be receiving any channels over 100? Could this possibly be true?

Thanks so much,
Jon
I doubt that is true. The only way that might be true is if they use SDV (switched digital video), but I doubt it. I think you're just dealing with a CSR who doesn't understand what CableCARDs do. All he hears is that you won't be renting one of their set top boxes, and immediately assumes that all you can get is analog signals. I' bet that this is nothing more than unintentional misinformation (thought some might argue intentional).
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #56
Rucker

RCN CSRs generally don't know what they're talking about in my experience. For example, when I asked about a cablecard before buying a Tivo last year, the CSR told me RCN no longer offered cablecards.

I doubt RCN (who is looking for a buyer) is deploying or has deployed SDV.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #57
champion

Successful install near Boston

Today an RCN guy came out to install 2 CableCards to where I am just outside of Boston. He brought 3 of them with him, but the first two seemed to work just fine. He hadn't installed CableCards into a S3 before, but after reading the instructions and asking another tech on his phone a quesiton, he installed the 1st one and had the card hit. Pretty quickly we were able to get ESPN in HD. Second card also worked, after waiting a few minutes to get the card hit. The whole install probably took 20 minutes, and he was there at the beginning of the 3 hour window.

I then repeated the Guided Setup after he left and it looks like everything is working smoothly. My only complaint was that it took 2.5 weeks to get a slot from RCN for them to come out.
champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #58
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
Today an RCN guy came out to install 2 CableCards to where I am just outside of Boston. He brought 3 of them with him, but the first two seemed to work just fine. He hadn't installed CableCards into a S3 before, but after reading the instructions and asking another tech on his phone a quesiton, he installed the 1st one and had the card hit. Pretty quickly we were able to get ESPN in HD. Second card also worked, after waiting a few minutes to get the card hit. The whole install probably took 20 minutes, and he was there at the beginning of the 3 hour window.

I then repeated the Guided Setup after he left and it looks like everything is working smoothly. My only complaint was that it took 2.5 weeks to get a slot from RCN for them to come out.
As far as I know, ESPN HD isn't encrypted (I'm in Waltham and it isn't). Only encrypted HD channels I have are DiscoveryHD, HDMOV, HDNET, and HD Premiums (HBOHD, SHOHD, TMCHD, ect).

FSN isn't encrypted either.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #59
Rucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
As far as I know, ESPN HD isn't encrypted (I'm in Waltham and it isn't). Only encrypted HD channels I have are DiscoveryHD, HDMOV, HDNET, and HD Premiums (HBOHD, SHOHD, TMCHD, ect).

FSN isn't encrypted either.
I believe ESPN HD is encrypted where the HD Tier is an additional charge. That is "LHV" and "NY" according to the RCN HDTV page. I'm in one of those areas and it is indeed encrypted.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #60
entropy

I had two CableCARDs installed on the 19th of January. We had to try to activate them several times, but other than that the installation was entirely uneventful. RCN waved he truck roll fee initially, and when I called to reschedule they also waived the $15 (per card) installation fee.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote