TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
expmag
RehobothJeff

Tried to record to DVD but sound is strange on recorded shows

I hooked up my series 3 HD to a DVD recorder using the video out and audio outs (RCA) and then out from the DVD recorder to a monitor. When the shows are live, the picture and sound are perfect. When I am trying to record a show that TiVo recorded, the picture is fine and the sound has a muffled and static-like issue. Does anyone know what is causing this? Is there a way to resolve this? The show is not showing that it is copy protected in any way.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Soapm

Sounds like the amplitude of the HD isn't sufficient for the pre-amps in the DVD recorder. That or there is an impedance mismatch. You may have to get something to isolate the two and condition the signal.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
expmag
RehobothJeff

But, when I record on the DVD player a live show from the TiVo source it is fine. It is only when I am playing a recorded show that the sound is bad. The sound is fine listening through the TiVo output on the amp but not going through the DVD recorder.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmag View Post
But, when I record on the DVD player a live show from the TiVo source it is fine. It is only when I am playing a recorded show that the sound is bad. The sound is fine listening through the TiVo output on the amp but not going through the DVD recorder.
That rules out my suggestion...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmag View Post
So somehow your DVD recorder magically knows the difference between analog audio and video from the TiVo's digital to analog converters that's "fresh off the hard drive" (about 0.5 second delay), and analog audio and video from the TiVo's digital to analog converters that came off of a different place on the hard drive where it had been sitting for a while?

Now that's a real headscratcher.

Although it does point out the annoying lack of being able to vary the audio output level of the TiVo at all.

Does the S3 have any settings related to Dolby or 5.1 or 7.1 or any of that stuff? (I can only afford to play with S1s and S2s so far)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
expmag
RehobothJeff

There are just two audio settings on the s3 and they both are for dolby output. Any easy wat=y to convert? I can watch a downloaded show from Amazon (non HD stream) and when viewing and listening through the DVD, as if recording it, that audio is fine. Only the audio from an HD recorded show is giving me this problem.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

There shouldn't be any difference between live TV and a Tivo recording. Everything is being buffered to the hard drive and then fed to the output jacks.

Have you tried to transfer your recordings to your PC using Tivo Desktop? Once you've got it transferred you can use VideoReDo to edit out commercials and convert the .tivo file to something you can use in a standard DVD authoring program.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Very Strange; Not Common

As others have already pointed out, ALL output from the TiVo, even currently playing programs, has already been recorded to the hard drive and is being played back and sent to the output jacks the same way.

I do not have a clue why you are seeing the problem you report, but I did want to assure you that it is not a typical problem with the TiVo. I use both an S3 and a THD, and I record a LOT of movies from them - most with standalone DVD recorders. I have used probably 6 or 7 different recorders (all different brands) over the years, and I have burned well over 9,000 DVDs from TiVo recorded programs, and I have never experienced the problem you describe.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote