TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #151
boomvader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpucrash0
it says this : TiVoŽ Series3TM HD DVR purchase required by 12/31/2006 and activation of the DVR is required by 01/31/2007. Series3 HD DVR must be purchased through TiVo.com. DVRs purchased through retail channels are not eligible.
Ah... I see it now. :-/

Thanks!

-boom
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #152
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonV
No, the website still says the same thing:

"TiVoŽ Series3TM HD DVR purchase required by 12/31/2006 and activation of the DVR is required by 01/31/2007. Series3 HD DVR must be purchased through TiVo.com. DVRs purchased through retail channels are not eligible."
Frankly, it doesn't make sense to have this restriction. Considering you don't transfer the service when you purchase the box, its pretty clear that its not going to matter. I really don't think they are going to spend their time verifying where you bought a box before they transfer the service.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #153
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Frankly, it doesn't make sense to have this restriction. Considering you don't transfer the service when you purchase the box, its pretty clear that its not going to matter. I really don't think they are going to spend their time verifying where you bought a box before they transfer the service.
It certainly makes sense for TiVo. They probably make $100 +additional margin on the box.

Remember, they sell it to retailers at wholesale. The additional margin, plus $200 for the lifetime transfer, plus the premium the box is making for them since there are no rebates...yet...they are figuring that they're going to get $400-$500 up front in additional $$$ from existing tivo subscribers...

I'd say that's a good bet and probably more than what they would get from the same subscriber since they'll likely buy a new box in another 2-3 years anyway...

and since they provide a years worth of sub on the previous unit they can report higher sub numbers, and hope that the churn rate on the older boxes is minimized.

I'm happy for TiVo to see the great initial demand.

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #154
Franco
2 x Series3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader
I called the VIP number and asked them. They said no problem. It does NOT matter where the S3 comes from.

I think they have changed the text on the vip page, too. Unless I was high when reading it the first time, I thought it said we HAD to buy it online from tivo.com/vip?

-boom

Text on the TiVo VIP site has not changed:

Quote:
TiVoŽ Series3TM HD DVR purchase required by 12/31/2006 and activation of the DVR is required by 01/31/2007. Series3 HD DVR must be purchased through TiVo.com. DVRs purchased through retail channels are not eligible.
If TiVo is allowing retail purchases to take part of the VIP promotion, that pisses ME off because all of us VIP purchasers are waiting for our boxes to arrive from UPS.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #155
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Thanks for the replies..

After thinking about it, I am also thinking that the mass email was to ALL purchasers.. and not just to those that have their box being delayed.

I am also considering the BestBuy route... since I am not looking to transfer the lifetime right away. I know that I can always reschedule the cable tech ... but next weekend is no good and I don't necessarily want to do it during the work week.

Oh well... I'll just cross my fingers
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #156
khill821
Cool Guy! Really...

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxin
Btw, if they have it at fry's tomorrow, I'm buying it and refusing shipment from tivo. ERG!
I would not recommend refusing shipment. This is from TiVo's 30-day return policy...

Orders that are refused at the designated shipping address may incur a 15% restocking fee.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #157
fluxin

The person I spoke to on the phone at buytivo told me to refuse the shipment because she couldn't cancel it. I'll call today again to see exactly what path I should take to return the Tivo.
fluxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #158
bdraw

I just called TiVobuy to request that they cancel my order. The CSR told me it was too late to cancel, but that a refund would be easier if I accepted the shipment then they would send me a shipping label to return the item. He didn't mention a restocking fee.

What a mess, it's bad enough they waited 3 days to ship the order (IMO they should of shipped it the same day it was ordered, despite the disclaimer, under promise over deliver is what I am grown to expect), but now the return process is just as cludgy.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #159
ah30k

I would think it would be better to RMA it rather than simply refuse shipment. Especially if they are going to provide return labels. If you just refuse it, it may take longer to get your refund posted to your account. The RMA process is likely more streamlined for that.

Just a guess, not formal announcement.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #160
keenanSR

Called TiVo direct. The CSR I reached was very helpful, handled the cancellation, said they would try and stop the shipment, but if it did get sent, just to refuse it, no re-stocking fee. I'm very satisfied as to the outcome, so far anyway.

Forgot to add that I was given a case number for future correspondence if needed..

Last edited by keenanSR : 09-15-2006 at 10:35 AM.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #161
Bighouse
200 Club Member

hmmmm....

I ordered mine the DAY I got the offer from Tivo...and just received a very odd email- I guess it will ship today??? Seems odd to get an email telling me that my order will be delayed, but not shipped any later than the day I get this email...

Dear TiVo Customer,

Thank you for your TiVo Store purchase. Unfortunately, due to excessive order
volumes for the TiVo Series3 HD Digital Media Recorder, your shipment has been
delayed. We will be refunding all shipping charges to your account. The credit
should post to your account within 3-7 business days.

Please be assured we will be shipping your order no later than Friday, 9/15/06.
You will receive a shipment confirmation email with the tracking information at
that time. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.
In the meantime, if you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free
to contact us at (877) 367-8486.

Best regards,

TiVo Customer Support
Bighouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #162
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse
I ordered mine the DAY I got the offer from Tivo...and just received a very odd email- I guess it will ship today??? Seems odd to get an email telling me that my order will be delayed, but not shipped any later than the day I get this email...
Look back in this thread...most (maybe all) of us that ordered from TiVo got this email. Even after assurances that it had already been shipped.
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #163
qlafferty

I am truly amazed that no one (that I can find) has posted on this forum that they have received their order from Tivo. Just like a bunch of you, I ordered mine at around 9AM EST on Tuesday. I was told on the phone by a CSR that I would get it Thursday then told Friday and then I got the email last night saying that it hasn't shipped yet. Surely someone should have received an HD Tivo (from Tivo) by now. Come on!

I know that this isn't a big deal in the scheme of things (my gold shoes are too tight and my wallet has too much money in it , but I am really annoyed that people are buying these things at retail outlets and I am playing this waiting game with a shipment from Tivo.
qlafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #164
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlafferty
I am really annoyed that people are buying these things at retail outlets and I am playing this waiting game with a shipment from Tivo.
I'm even more annoyed that NONE of the BBs or CCs nearby have the S3 in stock. I'd happily go pick one up and deal with RMAing the Tivo.com one, if I could.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #165
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
I'm even more annoyed that NONE of the BBs or CCs nearby have the S3 in stock. I'd happily go pick one up and deal with RMAing the Tivo.com one, if I could.
Recheck BB... 3 in my area have them listed today, none yesterday.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #166
khill821
Cool Guy! Really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
CC.com has them. You can have it Monday from them. That's what I just did.

Even if they BOTH arrive on Monday, I may still return the tivo.com one for spite...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #167
angel35

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
Thanks for the replies..

After thinking about it, I am also thinking that the mass email was to ALL purchasers.. and not just to those that have their box being delayed.

I am also considering the BestBuy route... since I am not looking to transfer the lifetime right away. I know that I can always reschedule the cable tech ... but next weekend is no good and I don't necessarily want to do it during the work week.

Oh well... I'll just cross my fingers
I didnot get any kind of e mail. I hope this means some thing good?/ I also ordered on tueday

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #168
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
I didnot get any kind of e mail. I hope this means some thing good?/ I also ordered on tueday
Nor did I. But I didn't choose to pay extra for second day shipping, so I have no shipping charges to refund.

I must admit that I'm amused that this forum is half filled with threads proclaiming the price is too high for the S3 and nobody will buy it and the other half filled with discussion about TiVos inability to handle the incredible demand.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #169
qlafferty

Well... I definitely didn't get mine today. I was holding out hope until the UPS guy delivered a different package to me. No Tivo.

Out of curiosity I stopped by my local BB and CC (Rockville, MD) when I went to lunch today. They don't have them and they say that they haven't seen them yet.

I had a terrible time getting my Motorola Q from Verizon when they first came out and now this. I'm trying to figure out where my bad karma is coming from. Did I accidently run over a cute, defenseless puppy without realizing it?
qlafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #170
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

i just called 8773678486. ordered tuesday. they said not shipped. no shipment until this afternoon (9/15). your unit will ship with whatever shipping you ordered. tivo.com/vip sucks.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #171
mchad

I know this is a little OT

But since I started the topic...

Amazing. I was in the same (sinking) boat with everyone else. Ordered from Tivo on Tuesday, made an appointment with Cablevision, with the understanding that it could take 24-48 hours to ship, paid for overnight. So after hearing that Tivo may be in over their heads, and after calling Cablevision to learn that if I rescheduled, I would have to wait until next Friday for an appt., I decided to call Circuit City yesterday. And here, right now, has arrived my Tivo. I wasn't happy to see it shipped in its store packaging, (NO outer box) but, hey, no one at FedEx stole it and it arrived safely.

So I called to cancel my Tivo order yesterday, and was told it did in fact cancel, yet I still got the "you order has been delayed" message last night. So I wonder if I will have two Tivos on Monday or Tuesday. I will have to resist the urge to keep it and put it in the bedroom... Yikes.
mchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #172
lawilson2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
I would think it would be better to RMA it rather than simply refuse shipment. Especially if they are going to provide return labels. If you just refuse it, it may take longer to get your refund posted to your account. The RMA process is likely more streamlined for that.

Just a guess, not formal announcement.
I called again, and I was told that they put it in my notes when I call back to send me a shipping label, and I wouldn't incur a return shipping charge. I have the confirmation number and the name of the person I spoke to, so I hope that helps. I don't mind getting a refund sometime next week or so, but I'm afraid that if I refuse it, it will take even longer.
lawilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #173
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Easy way to go from totally ticked off to smile as wide can be is to actually start using the unit (mine from Best Buy) ... configuring now ... boy, this new remote is so sweet!
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #174
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Swell... we'll let you know next week!
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #175
harmony.lake

I also talked to someone at Tivo in the last hour.... What I was told is that shipments were starting today and that notices of shipment are batch processed and would be arriving "overnight"... Tracking information, it seemed, would follow. Those of us who used expedited shipping would likely not receive the tracking information until after the product had already arrived... it would only be beneficial to those who used regular ground shipping. Product is being shipped out of Texas.

I ordered Wednesday morning and assumed that this would not go smoothly -- so I didn't schedule Comcast install until a week from Saturday -- call me a pessimist... but at least I am relaxed about the whole thing.
harmony.lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #176
SteveJ

I just called Tivo, and they told me their Customer Service line is "down today" so all the calls are being transferred to Sales.

He said his supervisor assured him that all Series3 units were being shipped today but that they hadn't been shipped yet. I told him that if they haven't started shipping them yet and have gotten more orders than they expected that it's hard to believe they are all going out today. I asked him to look up my specific order to see when it might ship and he said he couldn't. He also said the often-quoted here line that Tivo won't be able to confirm the product has shipped until after I've already received it.

Pretty crappy service, overall. Makes Tivo look like it has no idea what it's doing.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote