TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
driver49
I Wrote the Book

PC Magazine Chimes in on S3

I'm taking the liberty of posting these links to a video and a text review of the S3 that PC Magazine has released online in the past few days:

Video: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2014570,00.asp

Text: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2014608,00.asp

Synopsis:

By Robert Heron

TiVo wasn't the first company to create a hard drive–based digital video recorder, but it garnered devoutly loyal owners by crafting set-top boxes that were reliable, easy to use, and even hacker-friendly. The TiVo Series3 HD Digital Media Recorder ($799.99 list) is the high-definition successor to the company's popular Series2 DVR, and this newest member of the TiVo family expands upon its predecessor's offerings with more storage and more ways of recording what you want when you want. But this premium-priced DVR isn't for everyone, and I was a little disappointed to find some features copied verbatim from the standard-definition TiVos without consideration for how they would look when viewed in HD—an environment the Series3 was specifically designed to support.

I hope I'm not violating anybody's copyright paranoia posting those links and that excerpt here. I think it might generate some discussion.

--PS
Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
gwsat

driver49 -- Thanks, I just watched the video and I'm salivating. I thought the complaint about the on screen graphics was little more that a quibble. The reviewer didn’t like some aliasing that showed up on text or that icons that had been circles on the S2 are now ovals. Honestly, that didn’t bother me, as the video demonstrated that the graphics were quite clear and readable.

I was very pleased to learn that there is an Ethernet connection on the box. That should allow me to hookup my surplus Linksys WAP54G wireless access point so that the S3 can communicate with my Internet modem via a wireless router and download programming information and software updates.

I guess much of what excites me, other than HD capability, was available on the S2 but I had an S1, which I have not used since 2004, when I got an HD DVR from my cable provider, Cox OKC. Now I just have to wait until the Multi-Stream CableCARD becomes available.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
MickeS

What an annyoing reviewer.

But he has a point about the oval icons, I don't understand why they couldn't have made them circles in 16:9...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

Wait a minute. Is the reviewer in the video screwed up? He's trying to say the menus look bad.

TiVoPony said in this thread that the menus in the S3 were freshened up:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4361308

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
Wait a minute. Is the reviewer in the video screwed up? He's trying to say the menus look bad.

TiVoPony said in this thread that the menus in the S3 were freshened up:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4361308
It's already been discussed before. The icons are definately stretched. Some people with the S3 already, report that they don't see the text effects shown in the video though. So its possible he had a strange setup or had a setting wrong. Although its not clear as to exactly what the difference is.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Cloud

The menu is in 720P from TiVo... He had the output set to 1080i fixed.. Maybe that's why the circles were streached?
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote