TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #31
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Has knology's billing gotten any better? Or do they still double bill? This is all that's holding me back upgrading my dad to an s3.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #32
PeytonRE

This was my reply as of April:

Originally Posted by PeytonRE
More FYI, I have Knology in Huntsville, AL -- when I saw my first bill, it showed a an additional $9.95 HD service and an additional $9.95 for a digital outlet for each of the cablecards; however, the did give me a $13.80 credit for a "Tivo Hd Addl Box Discount" in the same block that they charge the $3.90 for the cablecards. So it looks like they were trying to charge me $10 more per month than they stated when I called for the install. The CSR had assured me that, once I turned in Knology's HD/DVR STB and received the 2 cablecards that my bill would only go up by 90 cents (difference between $9.95 hd + 2 x $1.95 CC = $13.85 and the $12.95 DVR/HDTV service). My first call to clear up the billing discrepancy did not budge the CSR or Supervisor -- they kept going back to 2 cable cards equals 2 sets of fees (HD & digital outlet) and could not seem to grasp my comparison of the TIVO 3 to their 8300HD DVR, I thought I finally had it figured out with them and they even gave me a $20 credit for my trouble. Unfortunately, on my next bill all the charges reappeared AND they took away the TIVO credit When I tried the CSR approach again they said they would bump it up the chain and someone would get back to me within 48 hours (that was a week ago and no call...).

I am pretty much fed up with the whole Knology billing abuse and I purchased an attic antenna to get my HD OTA. As soon as I can fish the cable down and the antenna is installed I will be telling Knology to cut my service back to basic cable only -- which will reduce my overall bill by almost $100 (their incremental cost for digital/HD/Movie channels) and make my wife very happy in the process.

Their loss for being so greedy.

And Then...

Still no call and I have finished installing the antenna to put in the attic and began receiving HD OTA.

Bottom line is that I just returned from dropping my cablecards and digital box off at their office and have cut back my video to the basic analog package -- this made my wife very happy since it saves us over $80 (would have been more, but my wife decided not to cut back our phone service with them just yet but it's coming) from our last bill and made me happy by getting a little payback against Knology.

NOW.

Bottem line is Knology was not being flexible and seemed to just want to shaft the Tivo users... Would be interesting to see if they have changed their tune -- but I wouldn't count on it.

PS. I even got my wife to agree to cut the phone service back to the minimum also and our bill is down $100 from the HD days
PeytonRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #33
edge64
Edge

Knology in Montgomery is still not flexible so I use no cable cards; use an outside antenna and also get their local HD channels plus their music channels using the QAM tuner in both my TV and the S3. I pay $100 per month for expanded basic cable, internet and phone.
edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
unimonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge64
Knology in Montgomery is still not flexible so I use no cable cards; use an outside antenna and also get their local HD channels plus their music channels using the QAM tuner in both my TV and the S3. I pay $100 per month for expanded basic cable, internet and phone.
I have Knology in Montgomery.

I just picked up the Tivo HD (series3 lite) and called Knology to get my new service.

I didn't have digital cable (only expanded basic) so I had to sign up for that.

Digital Cable - $16.95
Cable Card x2 - $1.95 (the give you the second one for free)

The installer comes tomorrow so I get to see how it goes and will post my results.
I really just wish Tivo would provide the QAM channel mapping. That seems so much easier but who knows when that will be available.

One thing I did notice with the Tivo HD using the QAM tuner. I could not find the Fox HD channel. I did find the HDNet and HDNet Movies along with the Music Choice channels and the other local network HD channels.
unimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #35
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Out of curiosity, does Knology have M-Cards? If you got one of those shiny new Tivo HD's (not that this helps those in this thread that much), that's only one 'outlet' fee, eh?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #36
unimonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
Out of curiosity, does Knology have M-Cards? If you got one of those shiny new Tivo HD's (not that this helps those in this thread that much), that's only one 'outlet' fee, eh?
Hehe.. I asked about the M-Cards. Of course they were clueless.

But from the reps and supervisor I spoke with they are treating dual tuner cable card devices as one outlet. Hence only one charge for 2 cable cards. Again regions vary.

If Tivo ever gets around to making the QAM mapping user configurable then I might drop the cable cards. I'm just happy to finally have Tivo back in my living room. My wife was giving me hell about not having *insert Tivo noises here* on the main TV.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #37
edge64
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimonkey
I have Knology in Montgomery.

I just picked up the Tivo HD (series3 lite) and called Knology to get my new service.

I didn't have digital cable (only expanded basic) so I had to sign up for that.

Digital Cable - $16.95
Cable Card x2 - $1.95 (the give you the second one for free)

The installer comes tomorrow so I get to see how it goes and will post my results.
I really just wish Tivo would provide the QAM channel mapping. That seems so much easier but who knows when that will be available.

One thing I did notice with the Tivo HD using the QAM tuner. I could not find the Fox HD channel. I did find the HDNet and HDNet Movies along with the Music Choice channels and the other local network HD channels.
The Fox HD channel is having parts problems and has been off the air for several days and that is why you do not find the channel. The Fox channels on my S3 are 82.1 and 82.4 (weather). I occasionally see the HDNet channel on 110.2 but what channel do you see HDNet movies? Also in the pricing you mentioned you did not list the HD tier (900 series channel through cable card) so I assume you do not get these through your cable card, correct?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #38
hijammer

Any one have experince with Knology in the Panama City area. I have them for voice and data. I currently have DTV but I haven't been happy with them for a while. As soon as the series 3 sorts out MRV I will be ready to switch but have a problem with there A/O charges.

Does the A/O only applie to digital outlets or both digital and analog ones too. I have a problem if they charge for analog outlets.
hijammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
unimonkey

Quote:
The Fox HD channel is having parts problems and has been off the air for several days and that is why you do not find the channel. The Fox channels on my S3 are 82.1 and 82.4 (weather).
Yeah today when I got home from work I check 821. and 82.4 and they were back. I read on AVS forums that their equipment got struck by lightning last Wednesday.

Quote:
I occasionally see the HDNet channel on 110.2 but what channel do you see HDNet movies?

Quote:
Also in the pricing you mentioned you did not list the HD tier (900 series channel through cable card) so I assume you do not get these through your cable card, correct?
Not yet. They asked if I wanted it and I said no. I called back later and ask for it and they told me I didn't need it ?!?. Anyway, I'll see what I get when the installer is here tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #40
edge64
Edge

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimonkey
Yeah today when I got home from work I check 821. and 82.4 and they were back. I read on AVS forums that their equipment got struck by lightning last Wednesday.

Not yet. They asked if I wanted it and I said no. I called back later and ask for it and they told me I didn't need it ?!?. Anyway, I'll see what I get when the installer is here tomorrow.
unimonkey, what service did you finally get and at what cost?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #41
cbme1965

Well...thanks to the "good" folks at Knology, I have given up on getting the HD Tivo box. I don't know whether it's stupidity (probably) or they're trying to run Tivo out of their sandbox, but there are so many $#! hoops you have to jump through to get 2 cable cards at a reasonable price, I just gave up and chose to get their company DVR.

When I called about a week ago, one guy told me there would be no problem getting the 2 cards and my bill would only rise by about $13.50 a month. Today, the person I talked to said that THEIR (Knology's) cable cards would NOT pass through the HD channels. I checked with a few people I knew in the TV business and they all said whomever told me that was full of @#$! I read all the posts here and decided it wasn't worth all the trouble so I called to get the Knology DVR. That's not the end of the story. Oh no!

I asked the third Knology idiot I talked to if they had more than one version of their DVR, specifically one with a larger hard drive that would record more hours. She said no. I asked her how many hours would their "standard" box record? (You may want to sit down for this!) She said, "Four." Yep. The Knology CSR told me four hours recording time. I asked her, "Is that 4 hours of HD programming or 4 hours total?" She said, "Four hours total." I was laughing at this point because this mental midget didn't even realize an old Betamax would record more than that and if what she was saying was true, Knology was the most backwards communications company since the Hooterville Phone Company and Chicken Plucking Factory. After threatening to take my business elsewhere, she said she would check with her supervisor. She came back with 80 HOURS of recording time. She still didn't know if that was HD or regular. I suspect it's SD and not HD. At any rate...I'll find out on Thursday when they come to install my new DVR.

So at this point, I bid all of you and TiVo a very sad, "goodbye." Knology made it so difficult to do an upgrade that I caved in and went with their system. Maybe Tivo will have the FCC fine these idiots into oblivion for unfair trade practices but until then, I'm stuck. I hope all of you have better luck than I did.

By the way...for any of you wondering WHY I didn't just drop the Knology fools for Charter, it's because even with all their ineptitude, Knology still offers more HD channels than Charter and if I dropped Knology, I'd have to have all my business cards changed because my email address would no longer be valid. Arrrrgh.

I hate you, Kyle (aka Knology). Screw you guys (Knology), I'm going home!
cbme1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #42
unimonkey

Quote:
unimonkey, what service did you finally get and at what cost?
I upgraded my service to the digital preferred so it went up about $30 altogether

Digital Outlet 6.95
HDTV Service 9.95
Digital Preferred 16.95
HDTV Service 9.95

Then they charge me
Digital Cable Card 1.95

And give me miscellaneous credits to cover the additional HDTV Service and Digital Outlet charge

It's kind of weird seeing it on the bill but it all balances out in the end.

Just hope it lasts

That said if Tivo every does a software update that lets you manually map QAM channels then I would probably just drop the extra services all together and go back to what I had.

I just wish they would add some more HD channels. DiscoveryHD is awesome and I can watch it for hours but I would like a little variety please.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #43
whitmans77

quick story about my knology install
-installer appeaed to have never done an install off cable cards let alone one on a tivo.When he got the cards installed there were no hd channels present because "your tivo mut be messed up, it needs to connect before they will show up." S=ince I was at work i just told my wife to let him go and we would figure out why there were no hd channels later. Installer leaves,my wife makes it connect and then we realized why the installer could not get any HD channels. HE WAS TRYING THE WRONG CHANNEL NUMBERS!!!! The HD channels all start at 901 and he was trying to tune in 101. So a quick tune to the 900s and my problems were solved...but were they.

I get home from work and realize that one of the cards hasnt been authorized for HD channels so i call support. They immediately tell me that I have to have a tech come out and fix the problem. I as the guy what exactly the tech will do and he said that the tech would "gather info" about the card.I ask--you mean like the serial number and stuff? He answers yes....so i pull the card out and read it to him and boom it works. To think they were going to send someone out to read a serial number.....
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #44
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Another bump for Xmas considerations - anyone in Huntsville, AL successfully using CC's without the billing hassle? How's the competence/service?

It looks as if Knology offers a SA (yuk). My father won't want to deal with the billing hassle so I'm trying to come up with a good recommendation. In the long run, the Tivo HD seems wise if it all goes smoothly with respect to installation/billing. If not, he would be going from a S2 to the SA. He currently watches HD programming live (but sometimes records it and watches a letterboxed version) but uses S2 for all SD and is accustomed to (and happy with) the software. He's just be looking at the standard cable package and HD tier, so double dipping the HD tier alone is probably not that big of a deal.

I'm having a tough time making up my mind what might be the best way for him to go. Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dig_duggler : 02-12-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Clarification of situation.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #45
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Bump?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #46
RBC3

I just got done "discussing" this issue with Huntsville Knology today. They told me that it would be :

Card 1
Digitial: $16.95
HD: $9.95
Card Fee: $1.95

Card 2
Digitial: $9.95
HD: $9.95
Card Fee: $1.95

Grand Total: $50.70

Or Digitial and HD and their DVR: $29.90

So......Tivo loses and Knology wins. I want more options!! I'm gonna miss my TiVo!
RBC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #47
rturrentine

Knology in Huntsville

I'm trying to get my HD TiVo setup with Knology and HD.

I called today and was told by the CSR and her supervisor that their cable cards do not support HD. I could buy my own cable card that would though.

HD charge is $9.95 month. The SA DVR is $3.95 more.

They told me the cable cards would be $1.95 each. She had no idea what a Multistream card is.

Maybe I should punt on Knology and go to Mediacom. Anyone else use either in Huntsville with Tivo HD?
rturrentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #48
eluckie

She is incorrect about not supporting the HD on the CC. I am in Montgomery with Knology and using 2 CC's in a S3. For the most part, my CC's have worked almost perfectly (knock on wood) for right at a year now. Their billing sticks it to you and is really unfair, but if you are committed to staying with TiVo that is just the price you have to pay for not using the Knology DVR. In Montgomery it really has not been a choice to change to another cable company because the only other one is Charter and their HD lineup is weak at best. I do think Charter has made some recent improvements on their lineup and may make it worth re-evaluating in the future.

You just need to get in contact with someone that has some Knowledge at Knology and they can get you going. Just be prepared to pay!
eluckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #49
rturrentine

more Knology run around...

Just called again and got another CSR. This time they said yes we can do HD using CableCards. They will charge per service per card as another poster stated!

I already have the digital package. They want to charge $9.95 for HD on each card, $1.95 per card for having the card, $9.95 for digital on the second card. That's $34!

If I just go with their DVR, my additional costs are $9.95 for HD and $3.95 for the DVR.

This is ridiculous.

Last edited by rturrentine : 01-10-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #50
Geminix

Also in Montgomery here. I just wanted to mention that Knology (at least locally) is using Multistream cards now. Got one installed in my TivoHD 3 weeks ago, works fine so far. So if you have a TivoHD, your local knology shop may have the m-cards now. Of course the CS rep had no idea what they were when I called to set up the appointment, so I requested 2 cards, but the tech who showed up already had the multistream card ready.
Geminix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #51
rturrentine

Well I called Knology again this morning and got someone that knows about Tivos.

She said it would only be $1.95 per cable card plus $9.95 for HD (not per card as the previous CSRs said). Can't install until Jan 22! She did say I had to get HD to get cable cards which I'm sure is not correct but at this point I did not want to argue about it. I can get the cards installed and then decide to keep or drop HD. I did request a multi-stream card but she didn't know what that was. She said she would make a note of it.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #52
rturrentine

Got my multi-stream card installed today. The installer was late but I know stuff happens. The install took about 10 minutes or so because the Tivo HD rebooted while we were waiting for the head end to activate the cable card. Other than that, it went great!

Now I'm just hoping the billing will be right....
Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #53
lattanzi

I had Knology install an M-Card in my Tivo HD the Monday before Christmas in Huntsville. Took a little while as the installer had never installed an M-Card in a Tivo HD. From the sound of it, I may have been the first one in Huntsville with a Tivo HD + M-Card combo as I ended up talking with the installation supervisor in the Huntsville office and he indicated while they had installed plenty of S-Cards in both the HD and S3, they had not installed an M-Card in the HD yet.

After working with Knology's back office folks and rebooting the Tivo HD, everything worked beautifully. I can confirm as I have received my first bill that the charge is $1.95for the cable card plus $9.95 for HD - I replaced my 8300 HD DVR with the Tivo. To get to the point of knowing I was going to get an M-Card, I was very persistant with the call center until they finally transferred me to the installation supervisor in the Huntsville office who knew what I was talking about. The installer had a stack of M-Cards when he came out and indicated that's what they were using now by default.
lattanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #54
lattanzi

Well, I stand corrected, sorta. I received my next bill and while my previous statement about the HDTV+CC being $9.95+$1.95 being correct is, Knology overbilled me for pro-rated service for all the other cable line items.

Evidently, when you have a device (8300 HD DVR for me) that you're replacing with a Tivo as the primary or mainline device on the account, Knology's billing system has to completely rebuild your account from scratch. That seems to result, at least in my case, with being overbilled. I spent almost an hour on the phone with a supervisor trying to get the overbill resolved, received some credit back, but not certain the credit amounts are all correct now. You would think the billing system would be able to do something as simple as remove the DVR Service at $12.95/mo and add back in $9.95/mo + $1.95/mo without being so complicated, but in this case you, like me, would be wrong.

We'll see what happens next month. From a service standpoint, the M-Card + Tivo HD has worked just great since it was installed. I thought about adding another Tivo HD, but I think I'm going to let the dust settle with Knology for a couple of months before I do anything else with them.
lattanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #55
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattanzi View Post
Well, I stand corrected, sorta. I received my next bill and while my previous statement about the HDTV+CC being $9.95+$1.95 being correct is, Knology overbilled me for pro-rated service for all the other cable line items.

Evidently, when you have a device (8300 HD DVR for me) that you're replacing with a Tivo as the primary or mainline device on the account, Knology's billing system has to completely rebuild your account from scratch. That seems to result, at least in my case, with being overbilled. I spent almost an hour on the phone with a supervisor trying to get the overbill resolved, received some credit back, but not certain the credit amounts are all correct now. You would think the billing system would be able to do something as simple as remove the DVR Service at $12.95/mo and add back in $9.95/mo + $1.95/mo without being so complicated, but in this case you, like me, would be wrong.

We'll see what happens next month. From a service standpoint, the M-Card + Tivo HD has worked just great since it was installed. I thought about adding another Tivo HD, but I think I'm going to let the dust settle with Knology for a couple of months before I do anything else with them.
So you did not get the A/O charge? That's really what has stopped me from getting one for my dad in Hville.

Service good? Happy with everything?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #56
whitmans77

I recently called emailed knology corporate and amazingly they got back with me about the double billing issue. Unfortunately I was playing phone tag with them and I was hoping to explain the the Series 3 to them but I was never able to get in touch. Well I recieved a message from them saying that my bill from this point on will reflect the new pricing...which does not include double billing for hd services....so we will see when i get the paper bill
Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #57
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

So sounds like huntsville is finally on the up and up? I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger and get one for my parents, but not being there for the install/crazy billing are a concern...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #58
konakahuna

knology in knoxville TN

i've had knology for several years and the story is always the same: good product with well-meaning but mostly incompetent service and billing....so i was worried about my THD install.

well, once i got a technician into the house, it all went without a hitch. all the cablecards the installer brought were multistream "M" cards. we inserted one and within a few minutes, everything was working. the card then downloaded and applied a firmware upgrade and i was in business.

$1.95 for the M card (i already had HD and digital), so it was good for me. i haven't seen my first bill yet, so we'll see if it sticks, but so far, so good.
konakahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #59
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

FYI, my dad just got an install in Huntsville and they brought two S cards, even though a M card was requested. Seems to have gone smoothly, but I am kind of pissed since he is going to have to call and argue about billing now.

Anyone in Huntsville still getting double billed?

Last edited by dig_duggler : 02-12-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #60
whitmans77

well i got my paper bill from knology and everything was correct. the bill had all the double billing on it but then there was an added credit and it gave me a credit for having 2 cards on the same outlet....now to see if i can get credit for being overcharged all these months