TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #2911
miller890

those *&$% just converted more to SDV...not always.

In the past, I have had random channels go black which appeared as if they implemented SDV on those channels. It seems to occur on Sundays where I think they must hit all the cable cards to make sure they are in sync with what you are paying for. I have rebooted and this does not fix the problem, called TWC and asked them hit the cable cards. Typically the person asked if I had rebooted, then tries something which doesn't work. They stall by asking for the serial number printed on the cards, which they already have on the account (I never pulled a card for them.) They place me on hold and get someone that knows what they are doing and that usually fixes the loss of random channels. I think they must have a different process for the two different card types because they usually try a few times with the M-Cards. In the past year this has happend on four occasions with both S-Cards and M-Cards in both of my S3s.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB

Last edited by miller890 : 02-18-2008 at 09:05 AM.
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #2912
jdh2005

Beaumont, TX area - still having problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh2005 View Post
Update - a tech who knows what he's doing and the local manager came out this afternoon and got both cards working

So anyone in the Beaumont, TX area having problems should be able to get them fixed. Tech's name is Fred and he did a good job - hardest part was him getting someone on the other end to do what he wanted - I'll never understand why they don't give them a laptop so they can connect and do it themselves if they insist on sending out a tech for a cablecard.
Well looks like they still don't have a good handle on it - my S3 is working fine with 2 single stream but they took my dad's tivoHD and can't get any cards working - they claimed they had #1 working today but when they brought it back it's not (unfortunately when I showed up they had it going through setup again so I couldn't check until after the manager left - he doesn't know anything anyway...)

They claim they don't have multi-stream cards and can't get the single stream working... they also claim to have worked with the tivo support but I'm not sure I believe them

Not sure what to do now - too bad we don't have someone local who can help like cableguy763 in Austin...
jdh2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #2913
scurby2

Hi, I have TW in orange county. I want to get the tivo hd box and cable cards. I currently have the tw cable box on my hdtv. What am i going to sacrfice? Am i going to lose the On Demand functions (Howard TV)? Anything else I will lose it I go with Tivo hd? Thanks
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #2914
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurby2 View Post
Hi, I have TW in orange county. I want to get the tivo hd box and cable cards. I currently have the tw cable box on my hdtv. What am i going to sacrfice? Am i going to lose the On Demand functions (Howard TV)? Anything else I will lose it I go with Tivo hd? Thanks
Switching to TiVoHD you will lose:
1. All on-demand programming. (Including HBO/Showtime on-demand.)
2. If Orange County TWC uses SDV some HD channels
3. About $400 ( TiVoHD, CC install and network adapter)
4. Time (TWC may or may not get CCs right.
5. Possibly more per month charge depending on what the charge is for CCs per month and TiVo per month charge

Switching to TiVoHD you will gain:

1. Higher Quality picture
2. Superior DVR functionality
3. NETWORKING!!!!!
4. Amazon unbox
5. NETWORKING!!!!!
6. Expandability(can you say 1TB or more)
7. TiVo community(great support from the Experts here)
8. Possibly less per month. (1 M-card, MSD or Lifetime)

Can you tell I love the networking capabilities!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #2915
DrWho453

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Switching to TiVoHD you will lose:
1. All on-demand programming. (Including HBO/Showtime on-demand.)
2. If Orange County TWC uses SDV some HD channels
3. About $400 ( TiVoHD, CC install and network adapter)
4. Time (TWC may or may not get CCs right.
5. Possibly more per month charge depending on what the charge is for CCs per month and TiVo per month charge

Switching to TiVoHD you will gain:

1. Higher Quality picture
2. Superior DVR functionality
3. NETWORKING!!!!!
4. Amazon unbox
5. NETWORKING!!!!!
6. Expandability(can you say 1TB or more)
7. TiVo community(great support from the Experts here)
8. Possibly less per month. (1 M-card, MSD or Lifetime)

Can you tell I love the networking capabilities!!
You forgot items 9 and 10. NETWORKING!!!!! he he he LOL
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #2916
NYDR27
NYDR27

Having read this thread and all of the troubles that people are having with their Tivos and getting their cable cards to work got me really down about having my own installed. But having had my Cable Card installed today, I feel obliged to let anyone reading this thread know that I did not have any troubles getting mine to work and that there is hope. Not to rub it in anyones face but Its kind of depressing having to read all of these horror stories.

I had a multi-stream SA card installed in Manhattan just in case anyone was wondering. The only time the cable installer deviated from the Tivo Instructions was when the Cable Card performed a 20-30 min firmware upgrade. Other than that, everything went really well. I performed a guided setup afterwards and all my channels came up.

P.S.- If you're only getting 100 channels, then it's because you need to repeat the guided setup a second time after you install your cable card. I know it's been mentioned before but it seems like an easy mistake that alot of people make. My installer said he gets one of these Tivos about every other month or so but he likes the practice. Sorry for the long post.
NYDR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #2917
xcfmx

Time Warner North Texas (Dallas) appears to not have their act together yet. Tech came out today and installed the cablecard but it hasn't properly paired. I received the basic digital channels but none of my HD Tier and expanded digital channels. Conditional Access screen shows Auth:MP instead of S or Subscribed. I've called twice and nobody can fix it. I believe (almost sure of) that the problem is the "data" number is not entered in the computer on their end, but the person i spoke to says it wasn't anywhere on his screen to enter...

How can I get this fixed without losing my sanity?
xcfmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #2918
nhw3w

Is it possible that TWC NYC has turned the corner on cablecard installs with TiVo?

My installer came last Friday to get my TiVo HDs (2) up and running. Although it took about three hours becuase the cards had not been provisioned properly and there we long "queues", I finally got all my channels about 1 hour AFTER the installer left.

I begged him not to leave mentioning the horror stories from the forum but his dispatcher demanded that he leave.

So far so good but I did experience a random reboot yesterday...seems OK now.
nhw3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #2919
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcfmx View Post
Time Warner North Texas (Dallas) appears to not have their act together yet. Tech came out today and installed the cablecard but it hasn't properly paired. I received the basic digital channels but none of my HD Tier and expanded digital channels. Conditional Access screen shows Auth:MP instead of S or Subscribed. I've called twice and nobody can fix it. I believe (almost sure of) that the problem is the "data" number is not entered in the computer on their end, but the person i spoke to says it wasn't anywhere on his screen to enter...

How can I get this fixed without losing my sanity?
You'll probably have to get a truck roll--we as customers can't talk to the guys who provision the cablecards. It sounds silly, but they'll send out someone to relay numbers over the phone.

This how it will probably happen:

* Onsite tech will read the number from the screen
* Onsite tech will transcribe it to a piece of paper (hopefully without error)
* Onsite tech will call someone
* Onsite tech will read off their handwritten notes (hopefully without error)
* The person on the phone will write it down (hopefully without error)
* The person on the phone will transcribe their written notes into the system (hopefully without error)

The possibility to screw this up is enormous.

Keep checking the "conditional access" screen when they're pairing the cards. For the M cards TWC is using in DFW, you'll have to see "Val:V" before you'll see the encrypted channels. You'll have to back out of that screen, and go back in to see any updates.

When they're hitting the cards, you'll see weird things in the Tivo interface. Like "Cablecard not inserted," "Error 161-4," "path/path/path/file not found," you can ignore all that. The Tivo doesn't handle the cablecard initialization very gracefully. Just acknowledge the error, and go check "conditional access" again.

There is no delay in the provisioning process--it's practically immediate. If you're not getting your channels when the tech is there, they will not fix themselves after he has left.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #2920
devilsushi

Lessons Learned:
Just a heads up, El Paso's TWC is still messed up, majority of the (contracted technicians ) do not know how to install the cable cards or know the difference btw SS and MS Cards, on top of never seeing one before. They say swing by the warehouse to see if they have any but in the past week they say its out of stock when the main office (which is in front of the warehouse) say its in stock. Local tech support says a TWC technician not a contractor has access to it.
Request a in house Tech and a MS Card, and better to call for an appointment then walk in and get one since the front desk people do not know much and its not worth waiting in line as its always busy.

A week of Frustration, and the highlight of the breakdown in communication, I wish I was still in the Los Angeles or San Diego Area... btw theres no ETA on SDV in ELP.
devilsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #2921
bweiss

I'm in the SoCal area; use Time Warner Cable. Just plunked down 300 for a TIVO HD. Time Warner cannot seem to figure out how to get the cable cards to work. I only get half the channels. I've done my research and KNOW that the card is not "paired" to my TIVO set but TWC keeps saying it is and they keep sending out techs to my house. Be careful - the folks at the cable company are not trained in these complicated cable card issues.
bweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #2922
gamo62

Here in Cincinnati, with the TivoHD and the Digital Tier, I was told that we are unable to get most channels above 964. No TNT HD, Mojo, Universal, HD Net, ESPN, ESPN2, A&E HD, History HD, TBS HD. Channels 969, 970, 975, 976, 978, 979, 980, 981, and 982 are supposed to be on the Standard HD tier. none of these channels are listed as being part of the "Digital" tier. Supposedly, you can get Standard service and hget these channels. Anyone in Cincinnati have these channels or a reason they are not available?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #2923
sidp78

PLEASE HELP! Cant get extended basic cable channels through TW!

hey guys ive researched and researched and talked to tivo and time warner 2 dozen times and still nothing. this is my last resort and maybe one of you can help me out. so here is all the info you need:
i had a tivo single tuner 140 hour and it died last week (3rd tivo to die in less than a year!). so tivo replaced it with a dual tuner series 2. the way i have it plugged in is directly into the cable output in the wall. the REASON i have it this way is because i have split the cable signal and have the other coxial going to my time warner DVR cable box. the cable box is NOT connected to the Tivo. they are completely independent of each other. the reason i wanted this setup was so that i can have tivo record all of my shows without problems or conflict, AND i can have the cable box DVR record in high def at the same time (or even just watch live tv in high def) while the tivo is recording. with my old single tuner tivo, this setup worked fine, and i recieved all channels from about 1-76. now the problem is with this new tivo dual tuner, i only get about channels 1-30 and cant get any of the other channels above it. yep i have it setup for NO cable box...yep i double checked and all channels are listed in my channel list...im just SO frustrated and have wasted so many hours on this, but frankly, i love to watch tivo with my wife during quality hours and also download it to tivo to go when we travel. so this is important to me to making it work. anything you can do to help would be SO appreciated.

on a side note: i even set it up the way its supposed to be setup through the cable box, just to see if it worked. i DID recieve the channels above 30, but it created more problems because when the cable box DVR was recording something, the tivo got screwy and couldnt switch the channels on the cable box and would then record whatever the cable box was recording, even though it thought it was recording something else frmo my season pass. this setup just wont work.

some options i have considered: give up on tivo alltogether. get an tivo HD and use cable cards. go back to a single tuner tivo and see if that works again.

im nto sure what else to do but these options are obviously not simple or cheap alternatives. PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!
sidp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #2924
m_jonis

This should probably be in the Help Forum or even the Dual Tuner section.
That being said, it's quite possible your cable company only has channels 1-30 as "analog" and able to be received by a regular tuner. Do you get all channels above 30 if you connect the cable to your TV? (I know you said your old setup worked, but maybe your Cable CO changed things)? Also, just because the channels show up in the Tivo guide list does not mean you actually GET them.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #2925
sidp78

if i hook the cable directly to the tv i dont even get the basic cable channels....just a few local channels
sidp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #2926
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidp78 View Post
if i hook the cable directly to the tv i dont even get the basic cable channels....just a few local channels
Sounds like you may have a trap on your line.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #2927
flynndt

TWC imposing copyright protection flags?

I've posted this in the TivoToGo forum, but haven't found much help yet. I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with many channels having copyright protection flags on them? I recently upgraded from my Series 2 to the Series 3 HD, and TW installed 2 Mcards in the Series 3. With my old Tivo, I never saw a flag. With the Series 3, initially everything was flagged except a couple of the major networks in HD. I called Tivo and they said it wasn't the unit. I called TW and at first was told the flags are imposed by the networks and they have nothing to do with it. Then I talked with a supervisor and told her I thought the major networks legally couldn't impose a flag, and I complained that even PBS was flagged. She called me back a few days later and said that she had sent my case to the IT dept and that the problem would be fixed after 6pm that evening. Now the flags are gone on everything up to Channel 25 and the major networks on HD. None of the channels I watch can be transferred except Discovery (analog, not HD). I put another call in to the supervisor and she's looking into it. I pointed out to her that there are some shows that run on both Discovery and the Science Channel and that the same show is flagged on Science Channel but not Discovery. Obviously this isn't coming from the network. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by flynndt : 02-21-2008 at 09:41 PM.
flynndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #2928
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynndt View Post
...Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, Time-Warner in DFW also marks practically all the digital channels as 0x02. This doesn't prevent recording, but does prevent MRV'ing.

If you're not able to record at all, it sounds like they're flagging as 0x03, which expires the shows after 90 minutes.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #2929
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynndt View Post
I've posted this in the TivoToGo forum, but haven't found much help yet. I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with many channels having copyright protection flags on them? I recently upgraded from my Series 2 to the Series 3 HD, and TW installed 2 Mcards in the Series 3. With my old Tivo, I never saw a flag. With the Series 3, initially everything was flagged except a couple of the major networks in HD. I called Tivo and they said it wasn't the unit. I called TW and at first was told the flags are imposed by the networks and they have nothing to do with it. Then I talked with a supervisor and told her I thought the major networks legally couldn't impose a flag, and I complained that even PBS was flagged. She called me back a few days later and said that she had sent my case to the IT dept and that the problem would be fixed after 6pm that evening. Now the flags are gone on everything up to Channel 25 and the major networks on HD. None of the channels I watch can be recorded except Discovery (analog, not HD). I put another call in to the supervisor and she's looking into it. I pointed out to her that there are some shows that run on both Discovery and the Science Channel and that the same show is flagged on Science Channel but not Discovery. Obviously this isn't coming from the network. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, TW Albany, NY has ALL channels set to 0x02. They did this when they implemented SDV about a month ago. I complained and they fixed it (supposedly) and emailed me stating that they were now adhering to "Corporate Policy and FCC Regulations". However, they only set the Local HD channels to 0x00. All the rest (including analog locals and PBS) are still set to 0x02. A blatant violation of FCC regs. I've submitted a formal complaint to the NYS PSC (for all the good it will do).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #2930
flynndt

Sorry - I edited my initial post to say most channels are flagged so I can't transfer to PC (I can record them). The CCI byte code is set to 0x02 on these channels. I have TWC out of Newburgh NY and I'm just hoping the supervisor will actually be able to help me with this. I'll post any results I get.
flynndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #2931
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
You'll probably have to get a truck roll--we as customers can't talk to the guys who provision the cablecards. It sounds silly, but they'll send out someone to relay numbers over the phone.

This how it will probably happen:

* Onsite tech will read the number from the screen
* Onsite tech will transcribe it to a piece of paper (hopefully without error)
* Onsite tech will call someone
* Onsite tech will read off their handwritten notes (hopefully without error)
* The person on the phone will write it down (hopefully without error)
* The person on the phone will transcribe their written notes into the system (hopefully without error)

The possibility to screw this up is enormous.

Keep checking the "conditional access" screen when they're pairing the cards. For the M cards TWC is using in DFW, you'll have to see "Val:V" before you'll see the encrypted channels. You'll have to back out of that screen, and go back in to see any updates.

When they're hitting the cards, you'll see weird things in the Tivo interface. Like "Cablecard not inserted," "Error 161-4," "path/path/path/file not found," you can ignore all that. The Tivo doesn't handle the cablecard initialization very gracefully. Just acknowledge the error, and go check "conditional access" again.

There is no delay in the provisioning process--it's practically immediate. If you're not getting your channels when the tech is there, they will not fix themselves after he has left.

TTYL
David
Took my one friend with a new TiVoHD and TW CableCARDs 2 weeks and 3 truckrolls until she could get ALL her channels.

It was their mistake, in the end. Surprise!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #2932
subVert

Success in Staten Island, NY

All I can say is wow! I had myself all worked up from reading the horror stories on my forum, but Time Warner actually sent someone who had seen a TiVo before. Showed up at about 9:15 for an 8am-noon window. I was worried because it been snowing here for hours and the roads look bad. I asked for two cards when I made the order, didn't specify single or multistram . He came with a bunch and said, "Let me try a multistream First".

He wasn't the fastest at navigating the TiVo menus, but he knew what he was looking for and got it up and running in less than 30 minutes. It took about 10 minutes for the cablecard to be recognized to his satisfaction and then he called in and the channels started to pop up.

I didn't get rid of my TWC DVR yet, so I've been toggling between them and was amazed to see that the TiVoHD output seemed much sharper.

He told me that there were three guys who handle the cablecards in the area, but I don't know if he meant Staten Island, or all 5 boros.
subVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #2933
JYoung
Series 3

I just found out that Time-Warner is adding a digital programming fee for additional CableCards in Southern California.
http://www.timewarnerla.com/pricingGuides/

Quote:
CableCARD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 1.75
CableCARD for 2nd or additional TVs
(includes Digital programming fee) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 4.25
Analog Receiver . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 4.25
Remote Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 0.19
Digital Programming Fee for Additional Digital Receivers
(2nd and each additional Receiver) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 2.50
If I get CableCards for my S3 and HD, I have the sneaking feeling that they'll claim that dual Cablecards in the S3 count as an additional receiver.

So potentially, $7.00 a month for the Series 3 and $4.25 for the HD, assuming they give me an M-Card.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #2934
gamo62

I was told by a tech here in Cincinnati, that the warehouse now carries MStream cards. I have an appointment on Sunday for them to come and swap out my 2 singles for 1 multi. Ever since I upgraded to the digital tier, I get some channels on one CC, and some on the other.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #2935
gamo62

***Update***
A tech was scheduled for Sunday, but called during his arrival window and said that he was unable to get CC's because of the warehouse being closed on the weekends. Called and got a $20 credit for a no show.

This morning, one did come out, took out the two S-Cards, and put in one M-card. As soon as the firmware update was done, he paired the cards and everything works. The firmware update took most of the time. About 30 minutes.

So. If you live in the TWC Cincinnati converage area, M-Cards ARE available. If they say otherwise, refer them here.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #2936
aymanme

For over a year my system worked semi successfully (TWC Austin, TX), meaning I could reboot one/day and it would work ok.

All of a sudden last week one card stopped receiving any control messages so I was limited to analog only. I called and an actual TWC tech came (not a contractor). After calling the mothership, the determination was made that one of my cards was lost and the other belonged to another customer. The whereabouts of the cards assigned to me is unknown. They replaced the one card that was reported lost with another new M stream card. So I am happy in that respect, but ... in passing I thought that the technician stated since he gave me another card, I would now have 3 on my account. Does anyone know if that is true ... it stinks to not get all the channels, but to pay extra for that opportunity is even lamer.

Way back in Jan of 07, my posts are here somewhere about how many techs and cards it took to get it working (and I am 100% certain that is where the card mixup took place).
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #2937
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post
For over a year my system worked semi successfully (TWC Austin, TX), meaning I could reboot one/day and it would work ok.

All of a sudden last week one card stopped receiving any control messages so I was limited to analog only. I called and an actual TWC tech came (not a contractor). After calling the mothership, the determination was made that one of my cards was lost and the other belonged to another customer. The whereabouts of the cards assigned to me is unknown. They replaced the one card that was reported lost with another new M stream card. So I am happy in that respect, but ... in passing I thought that the technician stated since he gave me another card, I would now have 3 on my account. Does anyone know if that is true ... it stinks to not get all the channels, but to pay extra for that opportunity is even lamer.

Way back in Jan of 07, my posts are here somewhere about how many techs and cards it took to get it working (and I am 100% certain that is where the card mixup took place).
You should absolutely not have any extra cards on your account. Whenever a tech does a swap the card they are swapping goes into the tech's inventory list. The tech does a weekly inventory count, so it would show him missing a card. Not good at all for the tech. So, send me a pm with your contact info and I can tell you exactly what is on your account and what you are getting charged for.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #2938
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
You should absolutely not have any extra cards on your account. Whenever a tech does a swap the card they are swapping goes into the tech's inventory list. The tech does a weekly inventory count, so it would show him missing a card. Not good at all for the tech. So, send me a pm with your contact info and I can tell you exactly what is on your account and what you are getting charged for.
Here in Cincinnati it's a little different. They pick up the CC's at the warehouse on the day of the call. The tech who came out on Monday brought two M-cards from the warehouse just in case one did not work. Fortunately it did.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #2939
JimWall

In Cincinnati I can get TNT HD, ESPN, ESPN2, A&E HD, History HD, TBS HD on my cable cards. Some used to be SDV but were changed in the last month. I could always get TNT HD and Discovery HD.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #2940
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
In Cincinnati I can get TNT HD, ESPN, ESPN2, A&E HD, History HD, TBS HD on my cable cards. Some used to be SDV but were changed in the last month. I could always get TNT HD and Discovery HD.

Since I got the new M-card, I get all of those as well. How does one tell if a channel is SDV? Thanks.