TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #2671
stevec5375

If patience is a virtue, then I'm not very virtuous.

It all started on 12/19/07 when Time Warner Austin came to my home to install 2 cable cards in my new Tivo Series 3 HD. I won't bore you with all the gory details but here it is 12/28/07, almost 10 days later and I still don't have two cable cards that work. There have been countless technicians at my home.

Yesterday was the closest they have ever come to getting it all to work properly. They had CC1 working completely. CC2, however, would not get all of its EMMs (2 of 39). From being there observing and listening to phone conversations between the backoffice and the field techs, it appears that some people on the backend are clueless as to how to send the proper "hit". One of the techs finally got a hold of a woman in a different group who was the only one who managed to get the EMMs to send to CC1.

Last night, I rebooted the TiVo because I just had to know where I would stand in the event of a power outage. When the Tivo came back up, both cards had lost all of their EMMs and had gone back to zero.

Knowing what I know now, I would NOT recommend the combination of Time Warner Cable Austin, TX and Tivo Series 3 HD. It is not ready for prime time.

I am so aggravated with Time Warner and their staff that I have filed a complaint with the City of Austin office that oversees their franchise. In addition, I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint as well.

It is no secret that Time Warner HATES cable cards and makes it as painful as possible for its users because they do not like the federal mandate that they have to support them. Furthermore, they want to "rent" you a cable box for more money and they cannot charge more than $5 per month for cable cards.

I find it hard to believe that a multi-billion $$ corporation can't get its act together and make sure things work properly before they roll it out.

My biggest headache is that we don't have any choice in Austin. Grande Communications is the only other vendor and they are not in my part of town. Dish Network doesn't support the Tivo HD Series 3.

This whole thing has made my holidays very unmerry!
stevec5375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #2672
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by archieleach View Post
CS: Do you have a TiVo? We don't support those.
Me: Okay...
CS: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

To give her credit, she did see that my bill was wrong and fixed it. After reading this thread, though, I can see what she said about TiVo is clearly not correct. If and when I do want to (or can) upgrade to digital cable, what should I do or say to make sure that this isn't an issue I run into?
They don't have to "support" the TiVo, but you should remind them that according to FCC regulations they must provide CableCards to any CableLab certified device, and that the TiVo S3 and HD are both CableLab certified. If they persist in denying you, ask for their supervisor. Keep doing that until they give you the correct response. If nobody will, then let them know you will be reporting them to the local franchise authority and the FCC.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #2673
jsshattuck

Smile TW Charlotte backs off SDV for HD channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by archieleach View Post
For those of you who have posted or dealt with Time Warner in Charlotte, can I ask a question? Here's a conversation I had this morning after fixing a billing error on my bill:

Me: So, if I upgrade to digital cable, there's just a small additional rental fee for renting a cablecard?
CS: Yes, it's just 1.75/month
Me: I have a device that takes two cards...so would it just be double the rental fee?
CS: Do you have a TiVo? We don't support those.
Me: Okay...
CS: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Thanks everyone.
I have some good news and some great news for you. First of all, TW Charlotte does indeed support the TiVO Series 3 with CableCARDs, it's just that that they don't support it from a technical support standpoint as they would their DVR or STB. They will charge you for 2 CableCARDs, but once you have them initialized properly, you're good to go. That's the GOOD news.

The GREAT news is that in October TWC added several new HD channels using SDV (Switched Digital Video--see thread on SDV if you are not familiar with it). Since the TiVo 3 cannot handle SDV, we were either force to do without the new channels or pay $10/month for an STB. Today I visited the TWC website and discovered that one of the channels (Golf/Versus) had been moved to the basic tier. A light went off in my brain that said if that was true, pehaps it was no longer using SDV and could be viewed and recorded by my TiVo. In fact that is true for that channel as well as all the other new HD channels.

Looks like TWC has seen the light about selecting SDV channels, and at least for now, new HD channels will have dedicated frequencies and will work with CableCARDs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #2674
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsshattuck View Post
I have some good news and some great news for you. First of all, TW Charlotte does indeed support the TiVO Series 3 with CableCARDs, it's just that that they don't support it from a technical support standpoint as they would their DVR or STB. They will charge you for 2 CableCARDs, but once you have them initialized properly, you're good to go. That's the GOOD news.

The GREAT news is that in October TWC added several new HD channels using SDV (Switched Digital Video--see thread on SDV if you are not familiar with it). Since the TiVo 3 cannot handle SDV, we were either force to do without the new channels or pay $10/month for an STB. Today I visited the TWC website and discovered that one of the channels (Golf/Versus) had been moved to the basic tier. A light went off in my brain that said if that was true, pehaps it was no longer using SDV and could be viewed and recorded by my TiVo. In fact that is true for that channel as well as all the other new HD channels.

Looks like TWC has seen the light about selecting SDV channels, and at least for now, new HD channels will have dedicated frequencies and will work with CableCARDs.
Steve,

Its great news... but... without TWC backing that up with a statement, you may be jumping to conclusions. Here in Raleigh, TWC announced (via letters sent to cablecard customers) that we would be losing certain channels and would not receive any new channels due to the future implementation of SDV. The date for losing the channels has come and gone but the channels are still there. Three new channels were then added which were not available to cablecard. Last week, three more channels were added and low and behold those channels plus the previous three are now available to cablecard. I sure hope you are right but what TWC giveth... they may taketh away...

One downside thought.... The three newest HD's are all on one channel and thus are bandwidth starved and dont look so good.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #2675
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
I don't know whether my situation is similar to yours. I live in Albany,NY.

About once a month my cards seem to default to basic channels only.

Sometimes I can re-store them just by re-booting the S3. Other times they seem to re-cover by the next day without my doing anything.
Same thing happens to me here in Albany, NY. It has happened on each of my HD TiVos. When it happens, I can tune the local HD channels...NBC, ABC, CBS, etc, but not the other national HD channels like Discovery HD, A&E HD, ESPN HD, etc.

The first time it happened about a month ago, I called TWC and they set up a service call. The day before the service call, I rebooted the HD TiVo and repeated guided setup and...magically I could tune all the channels. I called and cancelled the service appointment.

It happened again to the OTHER HD TiVo yesterday. I could tune the local HD channels, but not the nationals. I have rebooted 3 times now...with no success. Also, all the non-SDV SD HBO's, Showtime's, and Cinemax channels would not tune. I called TWC and they are coming out Monday. I'll try to reboot a few more times before Monday.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #2676
mack89464

Thumbs down More TW Los Angeles Woes

Quick update to my previous thread about the ongoing failure by TW SoCal to get my dual cards up and running in my TiVo series 3HD

They sent a technician back to site yesterday. He spent SEVEN hours on site trying to get both "M" Cards working with no success.

IS spent ages on the phone helping him and trying to figure it out.
I was left with one card showing all tiers I'm supposed to get. The second card won't show anything above local feeds.

Time Warner said it must be a faulty TiVo and I should ask TiVo to do a service on it. I called TiVo support today and in 2 minutes the TiVo tech identified that the cards were NOT paired correctly.

I called back Time Warner and got someone who knew nothing about CC and said she could send a normal hit to the box and this would fix everything. I told her it wouldn't and I needed someone on the phone who knew CC and could fix the pairing for me. No luck. I have to wait 24 hours for the hit to get to my box as they have a back log but she continued to claim this would somehow cure everything.

I'm close to giving up and going with the Time Warner DVR solution.

Anyone got any suggestions? Right now I'm at a dead end.

Mack.

PS - I have to add that the onsite technician was wonderful. A great guy who tried his best and stuck at it as long as he could. However the Time Warner call center is awful. I called in the other day and spoke to 9 people including "Miles" who pretended to be a supervisor. Every single time they would transfer my call they would not introduce it to the next person so I'd have to start from the beginning again. Every person I spoke to put me on hold and then I'd get bounced to another group. Disgusting service.
mack89464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #2677
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

I think you only need one M card, but two S cards.

CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #2678
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89464 View Post
Quick update to my previous thread about the ongoing failure by TW SoCal to get my dual cards up and running in my TiVo series 3HD

They sent a technician back to site yesterday. He spent SEVEN hours on site trying to get both "M" Cards working with no success.

I was left with one card showing all tiers I'm supposed to get. The second card won't show anything above local feeds.
Could be a faulty card, seems like many here have experienced that. I'm sorry about all the troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post
I think you only need one M card, but two S cards.

CB
The Series 3 can only use the M cards in single stream mode, so if M cards are used, there still has to be 2 of them.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #2679
bhalec

Is it worth it?

So I'm a former series 2 user who now uses the HD DVR from Time Warner in New York City. I'm seriously considering getting the HD Tivo but after reading a lot of posts it seems that the whole cable card issue makes it more hassle than it's worth.

Are we just seeing the isolated issues here or is this truly a widespread problem? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
bhalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #2680
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalec View Post
So I'm a former series 2 user who now uses the HD DVR from Time Warner in New York City. I'm seriously considering getting the HD Tivo but after reading a lot of posts it seems that the whole cable card issue makes it more hassle than it's worth.

Are we just seeing the isolated issues here or is this truly a widespread problem? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
Depends on how you use your DVR. If you use it as a cable box and occasionally record shows on it, it's probably not worth it. If you use it as a recorder and occasionally watch live TV, it's probably worth it (depending on how much you like your current DVR and whether the networking aspect of the TiVo appeals to you). I wouldn't worry too much about the CableCARD installation problems, these are the worst cases here (although unacceptable nevertheless).
Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #2681
derekcbart

Quote:

Time Warner said it must be a faulty TiVo and I should ask TiVo to do a service on it. I called TiVo support today and in 2 minutes the TiVo tech identified that the cards were NOT paired correctly.

I called back Time Warner and got someone who knew nothing about CC and said she could send a normal hit to the box and this would fix everything. I told her it wouldn't and I needed someone on the phone who knew CC and could fix the pairing for me. No luck. I have to wait 24 hours for the hit to get to my box as they have a back log but she continued to claim this would somehow cure everything.

Mack.

PS - I have to add that the onsite technician was wonderful. A great guy who tried his best and stuck at it as long as he could. However the Time Warner call center is awful. I called in the other day and spoke to 9 people including "Miles" who pretended to be a supervisor. Every single time they would transfer my call they would not introduce it to the next person so I'd have to start from the beginning again. Every person I spoke to put me on hold and then I'd get bounced to another group. Disgusting service.
You can only have one M-Card or two S-Cards installed in the Series 3. I just recently went through this with TW Los Angeles. I recently moved and when I moved they said that my previous cards wouldn't work because they had been upgraded. They only brought one M-Card and that worked as a single tuner, but when they brought an additional M-Card for the second tuner is caused the first tuner to fail. After some trial and error we discovered that M-Cards only work by themselves. If you attach another card, either S-Card or M-Card, the first tuner will fail. They came back on another day with two S-Cards and they both worked fine and I have dual tuner access again on my TiVo Series 3.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #2682
mack89464

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart View Post
You can only have one M-Card or two S-Cards installed in the Series 3. I just recently went through this with TW Los Angeles. I recently moved and when I moved they said that my previous cards wouldn't work because they had been upgraded. They only brought one M-Card and that worked as a single tuner, but when they brought an additional M-Card for the second tuner is caused the first tuner to fail. After some trial and error we discovered that M-Cards only work by themselves. If you attach another card, either S-Card or M-Card, the first tuner will fail. They came back on another day with two S-Cards and they both worked fine and I have dual tuner access again on my TiVo Series 3.
Derek - thanks for your reply. However I spoke with TiVo and they said that the TiVo series 3 will work with two M-Cards. TWC also confirm that they have other customers with dual M Cards working. The technician brought out several cards so a card failure is probably not at play.

According to the information I got from the support person at TiVo they could see clearly from my settings that Val:? on the condition access screen indicated pairing was not completely correctly.

Oh well - on we struggle! I hope maybe someone from TWC Los Angeles reads this board and can help in some way!
mack89464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #2683
zgamer

Quote:

Mack.
I've actually looked at the problem a different way. Once they mess with 1-99, I dump them and get a dish...whichever provider has the better deal and save myself the outrageous prices and poor service.
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #2684
derekcbart

Quote:
Derek - thanks for your reply. However I spoke with TiVo and they said that the TiVo series 3 will work with two M-Cards. TWC also confirm that they have other customers with dual M Cards working. The technician brought out several cards so a card failure is probably not at play.

According to the information I got from the support person at TiVo they could see clearly from my settings that Val:? on the condition access screen indicated pairing was not completely correctly.

Oh well - on we struggle! I hope maybe someone from TWC Los Angeles reads this board and can help in some way!
I hope you can get dual M-Cards working, but if not you might want to try going with dual S-Cards because those definitely do work.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #2685
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Also, all the non-SDV SD HBO's, Showtime's, and Cinemax channels would not tune. I called TWC and they are coming out Monday. I'll try to reboot a few more times before Monday.
I just checked on my S3 in Albany. I can tune to all the national HD channels except the SDV ones, so it sounds like they might have tried to perform a cablecard update which did not complete successfully. I can't check any premium channels, since I don't subscribe to them.

In my case, I had problems about 1/2 the time they attempted cablecard updates until I found a cable signal amplifier at Radio Shack. Since I installed the amplifier, all updates have completed with no problems.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #2686
Pricele$$Vulture

I just bought my Tivo today and Time Warner NYC should be stopping my next saturday to hookup the cablecard(s). I have my fingers crossed that they know what they are doing
Pricele$$Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 AM   #2687
kaitak98

MOJO Copy Never?

Can anyone confirm that MOJO should not be set as "Copy Never" with at CCI byte of 0x03? For some reason TW Cincinnati seems to have changed the setting some time this afternoon. The show Test Drive was recorded today at 4pm as a Tivo Suggestion and the info screen is showing that it cannot be copied to other devices. When my scheduled recording of After Hours came up tonight it had the flashing record symbol and the 90 minute self destruct message. The Cable Card on that channel is showing a CCI Byte of 0x03.

If I have done my research correctly, this setting is inappropriate (illegal?) for this type of content. If other TW systems are flagging MOJO as 0x02 or 0x00 that would give me some ammo for complaining to my local TW people. That is if I can find someone who knows what a CCI Byte is.

I tell you, the more I have to deal with DRM, the less sympathy I have for anybody involved in the process of deploying it. It paraphrase Sam Kinison, I don't support piracy, BUT I UNDERSTAND IT. I guess these people will never accept Fair Use.
kaitak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #2688
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
I called TiVo support today and in 2 minutes the TiVo tech identified that the cards were NOT paired correctly.
What is the number for TiVo tech support you used?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #2689
SCSIRAID

Quote:

I can further confirm that S3 works with 2 M-Cards. Mine has 2 SA M-Cards and works perfectly.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #2690
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Same thing happens to me here in Albany, NY. It has happened on each of my HD TiVos. When it happens, I can tune the local HD channels...NBC, ABC, CBS, etc, but not the other national HD channels like Discovery HD, A&E HD, ESPN HD, etc.

The first time it happened about a month ago, I called TWC and they set up a service call. The day before the service call, I rebooted the HD TiVo and repeated guided setup and...magically I could tune all the channels. I called and cancelled the service appointment.

It happened again to the OTHER HD TiVo yesterday. I could tune the local HD channels, but not the nationals. I have rebooted 3 times now...with no success. Also, all the non-SDV SD HBO's, Showtime's, and Cinemax channels would not tune. I called TWC and they are coming out Monday. I'll try to reboot a few more times before Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
I just checked on my S3 in Albany. I can tune to all the national HD channels except the SDV ones, so it sounds like they might have tried to perform a cablecard update which did not complete successfully. I can't check any premium channels, since I don't subscribe to them.

In my case, I had problems about 1/2 the time they attempted cablecard updates until I found a cable signal amplifier at Radio Shack. Since I installed the amplifier, all updates have completed with no problems.
I turned on my HDTV this morning and all the channels are back. This has got to be something with the signal from TWC to the cable card...

Now I have to call and cancel my service appointment for Monday.

These intermittent problems are a real pain in the butt. What's the fix? TWC installed this cable signal amplifier a few years ago (at no cost to me).

Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #2691
juggler314

TWCNYC CC install

Figured I might as well post my experience so far (in the midst of it).

I called up last week to schedule an appointment. Had to make several calls as 2x I was "transferred" to nowhere and hung up on! Finally scheduled my visit for 12/28 (fri) 6-9pm. Incidentally while on the call with the CSR he told me I would not recieve *any* HD content, because it does not work with CCs. I told him this is absolutely not correct - he went offline to speak with some sort of supervisor and said the supervisor thought that was the case too. It really is amazing that TWC can't produce a 1 pager cheat sheet for these calls...

Anyway, on to this past friday. I pick up my Tivo earlier in the day, leave work early so I have plenty of time to setup/update the software. I'm all good to go. 6-9, no tech. I called up around 8:45 to checkin, then again after 9. They kept telling me the guy is coming. 10pm I call again. Now tech support is closed and they tell me there's nothing they can do. I will have to reschedule. Now here's the ridiculous thing - apparently even though they just didn't show up you still can't reschedule anything except through the official tech visit system - ie whatever the next open slot is. Which for me isn't until 1/3, almost a full week later. I asked and was told that no matter what happens future visits can only be scheduled into an open slot in he computer system. Moral of this story - don't schedule your visits for the evening as at least if it's earlier in the day you might be able to get them to still come...

One nice perk is that I did get a free months cable service out of the debacle. I will most certainly make them give me furthter months service for free if they screw up on the next visit.

To TWC's credit, all the CSR's I spoke with trying to find the tech were very nice and did their part of the job as well as they could.

I'll update this when the cable guy actually comes on 1/3 (which I will have to have my gf do since I'll be on vacation - that should be fun as she's not that technically minded!)

I did b*tch out the supervisor I spoke to about CC installs. I asked "can't I just pick these up at the customer center" (of course I already know the answer to this is NO). He checks and says no, I ask why. He says it's too technical. So I go "so inserting a card into a slot, reading a number off the screen, calling a phone number and telling a tech to pair that cards ID with my account, then sending a signal to wake the card up is too technical". To this the guy basically stutters and then tries to tell me that I could break the card if I did it wrong (physically he meant - I haven't seen these things in person yet, but i'm guessing like most things it's impossible to insert upside down or backwards).

Sigh...
juggler314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #2692
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler314 View Post
To this the guy basically stutters and then tries to tell me that I could break the card if I did it wrong (physically he meant - I haven't seen these things in person yet, but i'm guessing like most things it's impossible to insert upside down or backwards).
The times I have called TWC with problems with my cable card have resulted in the Customer Service rep asking me to remove & reinsert the card. Never works, but that is contrary to what you have been told about the danger of physically breaking the card.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #2693
tfreshman

TimeWarner Installed Today Ugghhh

Everything seemed fine with my 1 S card that was installed today. UNTIL I went to channels 414-425 and i get NO HD Channels. However I get ESPNHD with No sound. What do I do? They have sent Validations and hits all day.. ANY IDEAS???

Thanks in advance!
tfreshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #2694
jmfirestone

Had my install done by TimeWarner here in Greensboro over the weekend.

First call to order the cards i was told that they would not work because they were S cards and they were "one way". Was told I need m-cards since they were "two way" and would have to wait until sometime 1Q 2008 to get them.

Did some research on this forum and found out that was not true, so I called back to talk to someone else and specifically order 2 s-cards. Explained to the rep on the phone what they were for and why I knew they would work. They said I could pick them up and do it myself or I could get a free service call for the install. I took the service call.

Guy showed up at my house and had no clue what to do. He had only done cable cards once or twice in TVs, never in a TiVo. Luckily he brought "two cards just in case [he] didn't know 2 were needed." He made a few calls and I kept suggesting to him that we should just follow the sheet of instructions since it looked pretty easy. 15 mins later he finally talked to someone who told him he needed to call in both cards, then put them in the TiVo. uggghhh...

After he called, he went to stick both cards in at once and I stopped him. I then walked him through what the instructions said and things went pretty smoothly for the most part. 1st card activated fully without an issue. The 2nd card activated but I didn't get any pay channels. He called back and they fixed it.

It's a good thing I sat on him while he did it and really insisted he just follow the instructions. He would have screwed it up if not.

All in all, it took about an hour and didn't cost more than the $3.80 they wanted for the cards per month.
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #2695
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirestone View Post
They said I could pick them up and do it myself or I could get a free service call for the install. I took the service call.
You got lucky. Most TWC offices are charging $45 PER CARD to have you tell the tech how to do his job. And I bet if you had done the pickup they would have told you when you got there that an install was required.

The techs have such a hard time following instructions, and there are so many cases where the two cards aren't provisioned the same that I've decided to wait until the S3 supports M-cards before I try upgrading from analog here in RDU.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #2696
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirestone View Post
It's a good thing I sat on him while he did it and really insisted he just follow the instructions. He would have screwed it up if not.
That's what I had to do with the guy that came to install cards at my house too (and I had to pay $40 for essentially doing it by myself anyway!). I just do not understand - WHY CAN THEY NOT JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS? Especially when they admit they've never installed the cards in a TiVo before. I can not understand it.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #2697
BruceShultes

Quote:
I turned on my HDTV this morning and all the channels are back. This has got to be something with the signal from TWC to the cable card...

Now I have to call and cancel my service appointment for Monday.

These intermittent problems are a real pain in the butt. What's the fix? TWC installed this cable signal amplifier a few years ago (at no cost to me).
I have no evidence to support this, but I suspect that you can have just as much problem with too strong a signal as with too weak a one.

I know that I had problems with the TW amplifier installed. When that was removed and replaced with the one I purchased from Radio Shack, everything worked fine for me.

I have no equipment to measure strength of signal, so I cannot give you any numbers.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #2698
Interpol

This is a follow-up of my experience with TW South Bay here in Torrance, California.

About 2 months ago I had 2 S-cards installed in my Tivo HD, which was an experience in itself - but that's a different story. Although the cards worked, I noticed that I wasn't receiving certain channels, and I had confirmed both here and with TW South Bay that we do NOT have SDV rolled out. I was missing:

All east coast feeds of premium channels, namely, HBO and Cinemax
ESPN2-HD
TBS-HD
A few other SD digital channels, such as Fox Reality

Well, a few days ago I found a message on my THD saying my channel lineup had changed and I should run guided setup again, so I did - and voila - I now receive ALL the channels I listed above.

Apparently TW South Bay has sent a new, more complete channel map for CableCard users. Never thought I'd say this, but chalk one up to TWSB.
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #2699
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Great news for Time Warner Cincinnati! ESPN2 is now available as well as all of the other new HD channels that were previously unavailable via CableCard. I hope this is permanent and not a temporary situation. Hopefully the SDV solution will be available soon and the point will be moot.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #2700
terminaldawn

Time Warner Milwaukee Missing Channels and Pixelization

Hello,

Time Warner came out to my place in Milwaukee (more specifically Oak Creek) yesterday and put in two SA S cards in My HD Tivo yesterday I have a couple of issues. Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

1. Probably the most annoying is Pixelization I see on some HD channels. I also see motion artifacts quite frequently on HD channels which I don't remember seeing with my Time Warner DVR... I am not sure if this could be a signal issue? Thoughts? I have read a post that says to try adding Attenuators to the line, anyone in the Milwaukee area have this issue and has had positive results resolving this?

2. I am missing quite a few HD Channels. I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Time Warner trying to get them to "reauthorize" my cards, they even removed and re-added all my HD channels back to each card, however this didnt fix my issues. They are sending out a technical supervisor out to check my lines and such but I fear that this wont solve anything.

Here is the list of channels I am missing. Anyone in the Milwaukee area have these channels?

528 - ESPN2 HD
530 - ESPN HD
532 - UHD
533 - TNT HD
541 - Discovery HD
terminaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote