TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #2581
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakyeye44 View Post
Another user in the Milwaukee area and I am in the same boat as you with the single stream card. Based on the posts you made it seems like you are receiving ESPN HD... right now I am not receiving ESPN HD along with a couple of other HD channels and TWC told me that this is another SDV channel. Since I have been getting contradicting responses from TWC lately, I wanted to check in to see if you are getting ESPN HD, or if I misinterpreted your post(s).
Yes I am getting ESPH HD just not ESPH 2 HD. I was not getting it right away though so what I did was call the number that is listed in the TIVO guide menu (time warner number) and had them Re-authorize my (4) cable cards with the channel lineup that I subscribe to. I had them do that (2) times in total after the technician had left.

The technician who installed my cable cards even noticed that on my order the person who set up my installation had listed it as a "downgrade in service" which is why I was not getting the channels. They first authroized my cable cards with the basic service only, which is not what I had requested. When the tech. first left I was not getting ANY of the HD package channels (ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNET, HDMovies, etc.). However after I called them and asked them to re-autorize all of my cable cards with the Digipic 1000 and the HD package I started getting those channels. They actually had to do this twice before I got all of the channels that I should have.

My guess is that when they authorized your cable cards they DID NOT authorize them with the HD package which ESPN HD is part of. I subsribe to their Digipic 1000 package along with the HD package. If you happen to have those same packages then call them and ask them to re-authorize all of your cable cards with those packages. Then check to see if your getting those channels and if your not getting ALL of them ask the rep. to re-authorize them again. That is what worked for myself.

The only HD channels I lost due to the SDV were: ESPN2 HD,TBSHD, A&EHD, & HGTVHD

I hope that helps you out.

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-07-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #2582
RackZozing

I'm a Brighthouse customer in Indianapolis. CNNHD among others were recently added but they don't show up. CS told me they were unavailable over cable card but didn't specifically say SDV. Can someone tell me if that's what's happened and what other Indy channels are going to disappear because of that?
RackZozing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #2583
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
Just so you know, TWC in San Antonio raised the cost of CableCARDs from $2.00/month to $2.73/month, as of Nov 1st. 36% increase, not much in cents of course... but I guess that's how they get you. So with the "Additional Outlet" charge, I now pay $7.45 + tax/month to them just so I can see the "basic" HD networks in their compressed glory. I really need to get off my ass and find a good antenna...

Are you talking about additional outlet charge for another TiVo? Because i thought the cable companies could not charge for additional outlets inside the house.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #2584
SoonerOrLater

TWC Southern California (Calabasas, Agoura Hills):
One Motorola M-Card: $1.72/month

After 4 weeks and 4 technician visits, I finally have a working M-Card in my TiVo HD DVR.
All previous techs (3rd party service companies) had brought S-Cards (although the work order specified M-Card) that were either not working properly, or the tech didn't know how to set them up with TiVo (or the TW tech at the call center didn't know).
I kept getting conflicting responses from TW customer service: some were saying M-Cards were not available, others were saying they had received them. The 3rd party techs had never heard about M-Cards.
It took a supervisor 1 hour to set it up (some HD channels were missing).

But, now I have an M-Card that's working.

Now, if TiVo could fix the video blackout bug...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365824
* Tivo Wireless G
* HDMI out @1080i fixed
SoonerOrLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #2585
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Are you talking about additional outlet charge for another TiVo? Because i thought the cable companies could not charge for additional outlets inside the house.
They call each CableCARD an additional digital outlet, no matter if they are physically connected to the same outlet or not. That was the explanation I was given, and seems to match what others have said in the forum. Not much to do about that, I guess, but if the S3 could use M-cards, it would remove the additional outlet charge, as well as the second CableCARD fee.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #2586
InkBlot

New subscriber in Dallas

Another recent covert to HD in Dallas here.

Picked up my TiVoHD from Circuit City on Thursday, and TWC had a guy out on Saturday to install my cablecard. Oddly, the phone rep told me they only use S-Cards, but the technician said the only stock M-Cards anymore. I said, no prob for me!

The technician seemed comfortable enough with TiVo's, but he did hood-wink me in one area. Got the card in, saw a few channels, but when some of my higher channels were still black he said, "don't worry, it can take up to 8 hrs for all of them to come in." Unfortunately, I let him escape before see those channels and after a day they still weren't around.

I called Saturday night, and quickly figured out the rep had no clue about cablecards. He was working off a script, which began with "pop the cc out and back in." I didn't like this idea (everything about pairing had me scared, altho I know understand that poping a card out and back into the same slot is OK) so I let him go.

Called back today, and found someone more knowledgable. First off the bat, the tech said, "let me send another hit to it." This didn't work at, and he tried a few more times. We got to chatting, and I asked him, "What can you send to my card from there?"

He said, "I can send a hit, a validate, a revalidate, and an initialization. The initialize is the 'biggest' thing I can send, but they tell me I shouldn't have to do that." I'd been checking the cablecard menus in my TiVo, and comparing it with these forums. My mcard shows "Val:V" which I took to mean validated, but it showed "Auth:MP" which I took to mean not authenticated. Some other thread here said an init should fix it, so I asked the tech to try the initialzation. He did, and in about a minute or so all my channels came up.

So, life is good again and I'm liking my new TiVoHD.

InkBlot

InkBlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #2587
Sneakyeye44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post
Yes I am getting ESPH HD just not ESPH 2 HD. I was not getting it right away though so what I did was call the number that is listed in the TIVO guide menu (time warner number) and had them Re-authorize my (4) cable cards with the channel lineup that I subscribe to. I had them do that (2) times in total after the technician had left.

The technician who installed my cable cards even noticed that on my order the person who set up my installation had listed it as a "downgrade in service" which is why I was not getting the channels. They first authroized my cable cards with the basic service only, which is not what I had requested. When the tech. first left I was not getting ANY of the HD package channels (ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNET, HDMovies, etc.). However after I called them and asked them to re-autorize all of my cable cards with the Digipic 1000 and the HD package I started getting those channels. They actually had to do this twice before I got all of the channels that I should have.

My guess is that when they authorized your cable cards they DID NOT authorize them with the HD package which ESPN HD is part of. I subsribe to their Digipic 1000 package along with the HD package. If you happen to have those same packages then call them and ask them to re-authorize all of your cable cards with those packages. Then check to see if your getting those channels and if your not getting ALL of them ask the rep. to re-authorize them again. That is what worked for myself.

The only HD channels I lost due to the SDV were: ESPN2 HD,TBSHD, A&EHD, & HGTVHD

I hope that helps you out.
Thanks for replying... I actually opened a live chat with TWC the other day explaining this and it was painful. One minute I was not suppose to get those channels the next minute I was. It is very frusterating. I'll give the local cust support a call and have them re-autorize my two cards.

Thanks
Sneakyeye44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #2588
sglynn

Quote:
Thanks for the info. that they do indeed have M-cards. I'll have to randomly check to see if they have those.
Hello. I'm in Glendale (part of Time Warner hell) with a TiVo3 series on one TV and an 8300HD on the other. Is there anyone you know who has the ability to go to On Demand channels with a TiVo, whether it's equipped with 2 cable cards or with one M card? Or is this simply not possible because of the DVR rather than the type of cable card? And if one M card will run the TiVo and provide the same channel availability as two regular cable cards, what is the advantage beyond the possible savings of $1.75/month (which seems paltry next to the $34 I was charged for installation of the cards).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
sglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #2589
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerOrLater View Post
TWC Southern California (Calabasas, Agoura Hills):
One Motorola M-Card: $1.72/month

After 4 weeks and 4 technician visits, I finally have a working M-Card in my TiVo HD DVR.
All previous techs (3rd party service companies) had brought S-Cards (although the work order specified M-Card) that were either not working properly, or the tech didn't know how to set them up with TiVo (or the TW tech at the call center didn't know).
I kept getting conflicting responses from TW customer service: some were saying M-Cards were not available, others were saying they had received them. The 3rd party techs had never heard about M-Cards.
It took a supervisor 1 hour to set it up (some HD channels were missing).

But, now I have an M-Card that's working.
I thought that was $1.75 per month for the cable card.
If you don't mind my asking, what tier of service do you have and what additional charges are they saying are associated with the cable card rental?
(There are stories of being charged for extra digital outlets with CableCards and I'm almost sure that they'll try to tell me that the Digital Cable package is required.)

I'm in the East San Fernando Valley and am not looking forward to dealing with Time-Warner on the CableCard issue.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 12-10-2007 at 07:13 PM.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #2590
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
Hello. I'm in Glendale (part of Time Warner hell) with a TiVo3 series on one TV and an 8300HD on the other. Is there anyone you know who has the ability to go to On Demand channels with a TiVo, whether it's equipped with 2 cable cards or with one M card? Or is this simply not possible because of the DVR rather than the type of cable card? And if one M card will run the TiVo and provide the same channel availability as two regular cable cards, what is the advantage beyond the possible savings of $1.75/month (which seems paltry next to the $34 I was charged for installation of the cards).
Other than one less possible thing to go wrong and another opportunity to charge extra for another digital outlet?
Not much.
I'm pretty sure you need the STB to do On Demand and PPV.

Be aware that the Series 3 cannot not use M-Cards in multi-stream mode. You need two cards on a Series 3 to get both tuners going be they M-Cards or S-Cards.
The TiVo HD can use M-Cards in multi-stream mode though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #2591
rvanderwerf

so with these SVC channels on TW Austin... if I keep a HD box at my house enabled, will my Tivo then get those channels? Is that why some people see stuff like CNNHD come and go?

I have one of their HD DVR (8300 I think) that I just picked up from their office. It says 'not authorized', however I can get Discovery HD, TBSHD, A&EHD, TNTHD, Music HD, ESPN HD and other lower channels just fine, with no tv guide. They are already scheduled to come out on thursday to remove my traps (I had analog cable before this) and install their lame phone service. I'm think I'm willing to pay a couple bucks extra to leave me a HD box instead of the DVR if it means those SVC channels appear on my tivo HD- or is that a pipe dream? Should I call them now to ask them to bring a multistream cablecard or just ask right before the come out? I just bought the HD tivo after I initially scheduled the service call - now I am reading about I won't get half the HD channels because of the SVC thing. ugh.
rvanderwerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #2592
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
My understanding is that it's the TIVO box that is the reason that you CANNOT get the PPV or VOD channels. Those channels require 2-way communication from the box and the TIVO box cannot do this at this time. I had asked TIVO tech. support about that and they stated that it's a legal issue right now (i.e. they are not legally allowed to make a 2-way communication device yet). Now whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

The Multi-stream cards from what I understand just allow you to have (1) cable card and still record (2) different shows at the same time. That way you don't have to pay rent for (2) single stream cards. I believe that the TIVO Series 3 would still require two M-cars though but the TIVO HD box could utilize (1) M-card.

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-11-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #2593
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf View Post
so with these SVC channels on TW Austin... if I keep a HD box at my house enabled, will my Tivo then get those channels? Is that why some people see stuff like CNNHD come and go?

I have one of their HD DVR (8300 I think) that I just picked up from their office. It says 'not authorized', however I can get Discovery HD, TBSHD, A&EHD, TNTHD, Music HD, ESPN HD and other lower channels just fine, with no tv guide. They are already scheduled to come out on thursday to remove my traps (I had analog cable before this) and install their lame phone service. I'm think I'm willing to pay a couple bucks extra to leave me a HD box instead of the DVR if it means those SVC channels appear on my tivo HD- or is that a pipe dream? Should I call them now to ask them to bring a multistream cablecard or just ask right before the come out? I just bought the HD tivo after I initially scheduled the service call - now I am reading about I won't get half the HD channels because of the SVC thing. ugh.
If you keep one of the Time Warner cable boxes then only the TV that that box is connected to will get all of the HD channels. TIVO and Time Warner are supposed to be coming out with a "Tuner Resolver" by mid 2008 which is an external device that would allow the TIVO boxes to receive the SDV channels. When that device will actually become available to us is yet to be sceen.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #2594
rvanderwerf

I guess I'll keep a regular HD box until this mythical "Tuner Resolver" comes out.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #2595
cnelson42

Recording with Time Warner Cable Cards

I recently purchased a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR. I had Time Warner install 2 cable cards.

Much to my surprise I discovered that I can ONLY view or record from a single channel at a time if the channel number is over 99. i.e., above the basic service range of 1 to 99.

Shouldn't I be able to record or view 2 channels above channel 99 at the same time with a 2 cable card installation in my Series 3 Tivo?????

Chuck
cnelson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #2596
deancruse

Well, I thought I'd see if they would delight me with their awesome customer service. Alas, no dice. And, I really tried to keep a positive attitude. Really.

Technician showed up today (a contractor) with a Scientific Atlanta MultiStream card. Installed it, and they say everything looks good on the TWC Austin side, but all I get is black channels. He had other appointments to make, and he only came with one card (he said that was all they would give him), so he left and told me to be patient - it could take up to 2 days (!) for the chanels to load. That has to be nonsense.

So, still with black channels, I called TWC Austin tonight and she unpaired the cablecard and then re-paired it. I rebooted the Tivo and still no channels. She said she'd call me back in 15 minutes to see if anything had changed, but of course she was lying - no call back ever came.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to need another tech to visit, but can anyone point me to a good tutorial on what the various diagnostic and CableCard screens mean? The people on the phone (so far) haven't been able to decipher them for me, and I'd kind of like to know what's really going on.
deancruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #2597
rvanderwerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancruse View Post
Well, I thought I'd see if they would delight me with their awesome customer service. Alas, no dice. And, I really tried to keep a positive attitude. Really.

Technician showed up today (a contractor) with a Scientific Atlanta MultiStream card. Installed it, and they say everything looks good on the TWC Austin side, but all I get is black channels. He had other appointments to make, and he only came with one card (he said that was all they would give him), so he left and told me to be patient - it could take up to 2 days (!) for the chanels to load. That has to be nonsense.

So, still with black channels, I called TWC Austin tonight and she unpaired the cablecard and then re-paired it. I rebooted the Tivo and still no channels. She said she'd call me back in 15 minutes to see if anything had changed, but of course she was lying - no call back ever came.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to need another tech to visit, but can anyone point me to a good tutorial on what the various diagnostic and CableCard screens mean? The people on the phone (so far) haven't been able to decipher them for me, and I'd kind of like to know what's really going on.
awesome, I can't wait for my TWC austin visit on thursday. I'm so not excited. A friend of mine said you can request certain techs, he said he had to request a certain tech when they came back to get anything to happen. Unfortunately I don't have his name.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #2598
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf View Post
awesome, I can't wait for my TWC austin visit on thursday. I'm so not excited. A friend of mine said you can request certain techs, he said he had to request a certain tech when they came back to get anything to happen. Unfortunately I don't have his name.
Maybe it was Larry?
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #2599
cab2

Quote:
If you keep one of the Time Warner cable boxes then only the TV that that box is connected to will get all of the HD channels. TIVO and Time Warner are supposed to be coming out with a "Tuner Resolver" by mid 2008 which is an external device that would allow the TIVO boxes to receive the SDV channels. When that device will actually become available to us is yet to be sceen.
hmm, are you sure? I'd bet you are right, but I thought that the SDV setup (maybe it's just my area) worked by 'node'. In other words, neighborhood hub. I might be using the wrong terms here. I know that multiple houses are connected to the head end through some hub device. These devices normally serve x number of houses on a street.

My understanding was that if my neighbor and I were on the same hub / node, and he requested an sdv channel, I would get it as well. Of course I have not tested this yet, but that was what I was told by multiple people. I know my s3 tivo has occasionaly recorded something on an SDV channel and I was surprised to see the recording in the list, since I know most of the SDV channels in my area.
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #2600
ChileHead
TiVo Addict

I got my mcard installed yesterday (Time Warner Rochester.) After all the bad stories I was afraid of what might happen. The installer hadn't done a TiVo before, so that made me a little more nervous.

But after he was on the phone for about 10-15 minutes, everything seemed to work. No problems, no return truck roll (yet at least!)

TW Rochester charges $2.70 per card, so I was waiting to get the card until they supported the mcard, which they recently told me they did. Prior to this, I was using the antenna for all my HD recording, but my signal is "iffy".
Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #2601
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson42 View Post
I recently purchased a Tivo Series 3 HD DVR. I had Time Warner install 2 cable cards.

Much to my surprise I discovered that I can ONLY view or record from a single channel at a time if the channel number is over 99. i.e., above the basic service range of 1 to 99.

Shouldn't I be able to record or view 2 channels above channel 99 at the same time with a 2 cable card installation in my Series 3 Tivo?????

Chuck
Just based on your summary it sounds like they may not have authorized both cards with the same channel line up. If you can record and watch channels above 99 on one card and not the other then that might be what happened.

Try this: Go to a channel above 99 and once on that channel hit pause and then the "live tv" button. That will switch you to the other cable card and then try to go to a channel above 99. If you cannot then I bet that particular cable card was not authorized with the same channel lineup. If this happens when you try this you'll have to call TimeWarner and have them re-authorize that card with the same channel lineup that you have on the first card.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #2602
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Maybe it was Larry?
Question for you as I think you work for TimeWarner. First of all thanks for assisting members of the TIVO community.

With my TIVO HD box (27 days old) and (2) Single stream cable cards I was getting "stuttering video" after about 2 weeks of use. The best example I can give is on ESPN HD when the scores are scrolling accross the bottom it wasn't scolling smooth as it was "stuttering". The picture was also doing this of course. So I forced a reboot of the TIVO box and all was fine. After two days now the stuttering is back and comes and goes from time to time. My question is do you think it's more likely to be the TIVO box or the cable cards? Also I had the TW techs. test my signal strength when they installed the cable cards so that is not the issue. I have tried switching HDMI cables and the results were the same. I have a replacement TIVO box being sent to me but I wanted to get your opinion if this could possibly be a cable card issue.

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-12-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #2603
cableguy763

Quote:
Question for you as I think you work for TimeWarner. First of all thanks for assisting members of the TIVO community.

With my TIVO HD box (27 days old) and (2) Single stream cable cards I was getting "stuttering video" after about 2 weeks of use. The best example I can give is on ESPN HD when the scores are scrolling accross the bottom it wasn't scolling smooth as it was "stuttering". The picture was also doing this of course. So I forced a reboot of the TIVO box and all was fine. After two days now the stuttering is back and comes and goes from time to time. My question is do you think it's more likely to be the TIVO box or the cable cards? Also I had the TW techs. test my signal strength when they installed the cable cards so that is not the issue. I have tried switching HDMI cables and the results were the same. I have a replacement TIVO box being sent to me but I wanted to get your opinion if this could possibly be a cable card issue.
I see this issue on my plasma with a SA8300, so I don't think it's the tivo. It could very easily be espn. How long does the stuttering last on your setup? Mine will do it for maybe 15 seconds then clear up on it's own. Do other crawlers like cnn or foxnews do this?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #2604
Midwest User1

Quote:
I see this issue on my plasma with a SA8300, so I don't think it's the tivo. It could very easily be espn. How long does the stuttering last on your setup? Mine will do it for maybe 15 seconds then clear up on it's own. Do other crawlers like cnn or foxnews do this?
It last for about 5-10 seconds now after the reboot but prior to the reboot it was on for more than 15 seconds at times. With the SA8300 I had just had prior to the TIVO box this NEVER happened. Also when I noticed it on ESPN HD I would switch to another HD channel and then a NON HD channel to see if it was happening and it was happening on other HD channels as well but I don't remember noticing it on NON HD Channels.

Another factor is that I also have a Series 3 TIVO in my theater room and I NEVER saw this happening in that room because I did go in there to check when I was noticing it on my upstairs TIVO HD unit. Therefore that led me to think it was either the TIVO box or the cable cards upstairs.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #2605
cableguy763

Quote:
It last for about 5-10 seconds now after the reboot but prior to the reboot it was on for more than 15 seconds at times. With the SA8300 I had just had prior to the TIVO box this NEVER happened. Also when I noticed it on ESPN HD I would switch to another HD channel and then a NON HD channel to see if it was happening and it was happening on other HD channels as well but I don't remember noticing it on NON HD Channels.

Another factor is that I also have a Series 3 TIVO in my theater room and I NEVER saw this happening in that room because I did go in there to check when I was noticing it on my upstairs TIVO HD unit. Therefore that led me to think it was either the TIVO box or the cable cards upstairs.
Sounds like you have a good one. When you rewind in the buffer is it still there? You can also try hooking it up composite to see if it is there in sd.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #2606
Midwest User1

Quote:
Sounds like you have a good one. When you rewind in the buffer is it still there? You can also try hooking it up composite to see if it is there in sd.
From your knoweldge about cable cards if the cable card itself is not working properly is it usually NOT working at all or do they have quirky intermittent issues also like I've described? I know it's more difficult to know with cable cards since they are not nearly as mainstream as the TW boxes are. Therefore there's not a lot of history out in the market yet. I never checked if the issue was still there by playing it off of the hard drive (i.e. having it record the program at that time by hitting pause, rewind etc.) I'll have to try that when I notice it again. Anyway thanks for taking the time to offer up suggestions as it's nice to see a TW employee trying to help users have the best experience that they can!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #2607
trol1374

Here is my story for TW-San Antonio (new Braunfels) for my new TivoHD. I called the TW number to see about getting a cable card and was told I could go by my local office to pick it up. I go to the office and clerk had to ask someone else what a CC was. Then told me someone has to come out and put it in. I said they told me on the phone I could do it myself. Person looked around office and said they didn't have any in stock (she would have given it to me). Said someone will be sent to my house with one and set appt for the next day. I asked about the price and was told NO charge for them coming out since I was told I could pick it up at the office. Mcard cost $2.73. I finished explaining to the clerk about making sure they bring the Mcard.
Next day, contract person shows up and thinks he is installing a multi cable outlet. Told him what I was suppose to get and he never heard of it. He called his boss, who called someone and was told someone has to go to warehouse to get one. I was told that someone would call me back and tech left. No one called and I called them, said someone was going to warehouse, yada yada and would be out today (its now 4pm). By 7pm I call again due to no show and after being on hold and transferred around, I'm told my work order had been closed since no one made it to the warehouse in time. Gripe session with the CS guy and getting a few extra's for my wasted time, they set a new appt for the next day.
Next day (today), tech shows up. I verify it is a Mcard, show him where to plug it in. He knew to write down the appropriate numbers and called the mother ship. TivoHD recognized the card and I followed the directions for the restart. Tech was nice enough to wait around for the long reboot to make sure all was well. After reboot, I now have my Tivo!!!
Signed the work order and verified I wasn't charged the service call.
I'm a true and blue Replaytv person, who is now trying Tivo due to HD. I like the extras that come with it and I'm impressed so far.
trol1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #2608
Four Tiv0s

Los Angeles, 90046, Time Warner Cable Card Nightmares

Hi all,

My loving wife purchased a TivoHD for my birthday. I must say that my first thoughts are varied. The clarity is better than my series2, but this thing needs a CableCard to truly shine. This means that Tivo is relying on the vagaries of TWC customer support. This is a dicey bet to begin with.

Which leads to: The Time Warner Cable Card Nightmare

I called yesterday afternoon, and spoke to customer service rep: Trevor (service code Charlie37) This is actually how he answered the phone; quaint isn't it? I told him that I would like to order an M CableCard. He said that they can't specify which cards the techs grab and it would just be "luck of the draw" (Does he live in the old west or a war movie?) He added that each card would be $6.95 per month!! In response to my snickering, he suggested that I go pick up the CC at the TWC store. Finally, something that I can do.

I arrived at the TWC store directly from work; you know dressed to impress… The two women in the store were very friendly; though, they were completely clueless. They told me that they never have them, but the other store might. Thirty minutes of cross-town traffic later, I arrived at the other store. After standing in line for twenty minutes, I was told that they have cable cards in stock, but they are only for exchanges. That’s right, “We have them, but we can’t give them to you.” I was in shock, as customer-service-man-C37 (Hereafter known as CSMC37) claimed I could pick it up. After the tantric conversation with Kimke, (It felt like verbal Kama Sutra; that is, it was totally convoluted with things going every which way and not quite satisfying.) it became clear that I was lied to by both CSMC37 and the two women in the first TWC store.

So, I have some questions (Perhaps Rhetorical?)

Is it company policy to lie to customers?
Why make people drive around town?
Will the technician bring an M CableCard?
Why is it more than twice the price that anyone else in the forum has been quoted?

Last edited by Four Tiv0s : 12-14-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: wrong cable connection led to dumb comment.
Four Tiv0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #2609
trol1374

4tvo, I posted above your's and had a different experience. They didn't have a problem at all by me asking for the "M" instead of "S" card. That is an extremely high price for the card that they are charging you. I would call the main # for your area and then ask how much the cards cost.
It has been my experience that you never know what/who your gonna get at an office location. If you can deal with someone via their main number, you would have better success.
Maybe add what area you are in, there might be others in your area and can tell you what they paid.
trol1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 AM   #2610
cableguy763

Quote:
From your knoweldge about cable cards if the cable card itself is not working properly is it usually NOT working at all or do they have quirky intermittent issues also like I've described? I know it's more difficult to know with cable cards since they are not nearly as mainstream as the TW boxes are. Therefore there's not a lot of history out in the market yet. I never checked if the issue was still there by playing it off of the hard drive (i.e. having it record the program at that time by hitting pause, rewind etc.) I'll have to try that when I notice it again. Anyway thanks for taking the time to offer up suggestions as it's nice to see a TW employee trying to help users have the best experience that they can!!!!
Of all the cablecard problems I have seen, 90% of them are not being paired correctly/account not balanced correctly. Not a problem of the card itself. The rest of the time is when the headend does a firmware upgrade and the card has bad signal going to it that interferes with the card taking the upgrade,thus getting halfway through it and hosing the card. Only then does the card have to be replaced. There is just not that much going on in the card itself to "break".