TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #2521
rudiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator View Post
We'll see how how soon before i get to see the HDnet movie channel that just added few days ago..
I noticed that channel was added over the weekend. No problems here but I can't seem to get any guide data for that channel. BTW I am in Carrollton.

rudiger
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #2522
danator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
I noticed that channel was added over the weekend. No problems here but I can't seem to get any guide data for that channel. BTW I am in Carrollton.

rudiger
Just added hdnet movie to the channel line-up, So far so good but still waiting for Tivo to update the guide.

Howdy from Farmers Branch .
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #2523
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay View Post
I am hopeful they can get it fixed and I can go back to a 2 tuner TIVO.
Monday, Installer shows up at 5pm without a new cable card....My wife calls me (I'm on the road for work), and I explain the whole thing to the installer (even after I typed up copious notes that he doesn't even read)....The "warehouse" was closed so he would have to comeback tomorrow.

Tuesday, 9am, Installer brings a new cable card....freaks out because he gets a 161-4 error.... My wife calls me....I walk him through the process over the phone (he basically wasn't patient enough to wait for the hits to program the card)....We test both cards (thank god for the Slingbox)...finally the right line-up shows up on both cards. He leaves (after mumbling something to my wife about the whole system changing sometime next year)....

It takes 30 minutes for the TIVO to repeat the guided setup. All is well....except that there are a few channels in the guide and add/remove list that don't tune in (MAX-HD), but I don't get it upstairs on the Motorola box either, so I'm not worried.

This is the 3rd Cablecard related ordeal I've had because of the Series 3 and TWC. I've probably wasted 8-10 hours researching and diagnosing issues with TWC and/or TIVO support, not to mention staying home to wait for installers....but at least I'm up.... for now.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #2524
slyone

I went to TWC office to try to get M card yesterday so I could cancel todays install, they said only installers have them so I had them note I wanted him to bring 2 "M" cards for todays install. TWC came out this afternoon with a supervisor and "m" cards. He told me how all the units he's done have failed! I told him all the stuff I learned around here in the past couple days he was like floored! He saw the install sheet I left out and he was amazed, LOL!
I made him some copies and he joked w/his super about making additional copies and laminating for all techs! To me, it was comical how little they know being in the business, plus the fact one' can come here and just read and learn too as I did! At one point, they thought I should come to work and/or teach for TW.. I must have come off pretty smart considering I don't sh*t about any of this! Thanks everyone for sharing such invaluable information.
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #2525
Interpol

OK, here's my followup to Post #2506 in this thread.

A TW installer came to my house today as I had arranged, and unlike the first 2 installers, he really knew what he was doing. I told him what I needed (pairing the 2 CableCards and activating them), and he said "no problem." He then removed the 2 cards in the THD just to verify the serial numbers and found out that the previous installer had switched the serials and host IDs. He swapped the cards, and after a 5 minute phone call to dispatch, I have the channels I'm paying for (except for a few that aren't mapped to CableCards for some reason).

I also asked him if TW here in Los Angeles is planning to deploy SDV anytime soon. His answer: yes, and that's one of the reasons why TBS-HD, ESPN2-HD, and the east coast feeds of HBO aren't displayed with Cablecards.

So, after 4 appointments for truck rolls and 3 installers later, I finally have my THD up and running.
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #2526
Drezahl

Big Grin It Finally Works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezahl View Post
TW is driving me mad. I'm on TWC in the Conejo Valley (LA Area) and getting the second cablecard to function and take a hit in the S3 Tivo has been increadibly problematic. I have now had four separate technicians visit my home with what I cannot count or remember how many cards we have been through and it is still not coded or validated to receive the premium tiers of HD programming.

I am now told, after I was waiting for the 5th technician visit to arrive to resolve the issue, that the issue is within the TWC software end of things that they cannot get it to validate the second cable card. To make matters worse they have no clear news on when they will even be able to resolve the issue.

Has anyone else in the LA market had this issue? TWC is telling me that they have lots of Tivo S3's with this same issue and they have no way to resolve the problems at this time. Help! TIA, Tom.
HORRAY! I can't believe it but the second CableCard is finally working like it should. So just for other's benefit here is what I have learned based upon my conditions and why it took 5 visits from techs to resolve the issue.

My current setup pre S3 TiVo is/was a Motorola MOXI box (which i really like btw just that the drive is way too small for me). This is front and center to the problems that the techs were having getting my second CableCard to get "Subscribed" to the TWC system. So after countless techs, cards, etc. it finally came down to the order of the decoders on my account which was prohibiting the Second CableCard from receiving the full subscription clearance to view all the channels. I'm not a tech but my best description is that on the TWC headend system my account shows 3 decoders, A (MOXI box), B (CC#1) and C (CC#2). Once we got ahold of someone who knew what to do to solve the issue it was simple. The CC's need to be in the A and B position on the account to be coded correctly and the MOXI can be at position C. Once they switched the order around, sent the hit to the cards it was like winning the lottery. Everything worked. So after countless hours (something like 10+) I now have a working and fully functional TiVo S3
Drezahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #2527
noppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
Hi, there I'm a fellow San Antonio resident, and I just want to point out that TWC DOES have all the locals in HD included in the basic analog tier, even though they don't really want to tell you that (in other words, you get them "for free", as long as you get CableCARDs from them at $2/month each). Also, you can get some of the HD channels in the HD package with your TiVo, not everything is SDV. I get HDNET, HDNET Movies, UniversalHD, ESPN, Mojo, Discovery HD Theater and TNT HD with my Series 3.
I currently have San Antonio Time Warner also, and just finally added HD to our cable package. We noticed that we weren't getting all of the channels as well, so I was assuming it was due to SDV. Does anyone know where to get a comprehensive list of which TWC channels in San Antonio are on SDV?
noppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #2528
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by noppers View Post
Does anyone know where to get a comprehensive list of which TWC channels in San Antonio are on SDV?
Why not just call your local TWC branch office?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #2529
alexf5

WARNING TO ALL WEST LA TIVO PEOPLE!
Monday evening I called TWC and set up a service appointment for today (Thursday) for the installation of my CableCards.

I just got a call from the tech assigned to my work order telling me they are out of CableCards, and have been for the past 2 weeks!

Now I'm back with the customer service people who were able to confirm that there are no CableCards. They want me to reschedule my appointment, but have no way of telling me when CableCards will be available!!!

Fun, huh?
alexf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #2530
rudiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
I noticed that channel was added over the weekend. No problems here but I can't seem to get any guide data for that channel.
Update: I got a Tivo message that HDNET movies channel had been added today to the lineup. I am now getting guide data for that channel.

rudiger
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #2531
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noppers View Post
I currently have San Antonio Time Warner also, and just finally added HD to our cable package. We noticed that we weren't getting all of the channels as well, so I was assuming it was due to SDV. Does anyone know where to get a comprehensive list of which TWC channels in San Antonio are on SDV?
They have a webpage with the channels listed that you can not receive with CableCARD, but it hasn't been updated in a couple of months:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAn...cablecard.html

Your best bet is to call them and ask. I think anything added since that list was updated though is SDV. I have not been able to tune in any of the new channels like HGTV HD.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #2532
JOL

I did a search and couldn't find anything, but does anyone know whether TWC uses single or multi stream cards in Southern California, particularly in Orange County?

Phonecalls to their customer service is a waste of time - none of the people that I've talked to have any idea what a single v. multistream card is. Just to be safe, I told them that I would need 2 cards.

Someone from TWC is supposed to come over Saturday afternoon to install the cablecard on my Tivo HD, and I'd rather have the multistream card so that I don't get charged for 2 single stream cards (which I think is a ripoff in itself).
JOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #2533
jrjeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf5 View Post
WARNING TO ALL WEST LA TIVO PEOPLE!
Monday evening I called TWC and set up a service appointment for today (Thursday) for the installation of my CableCards.

I just got a call from the tech assigned to my work order telling me they are out of CableCards, and have been for the past 2 weeks!

Now I'm back with the customer service people who were able to confirm that there are no CableCards. They want me to reschedule my appointment, but have no way of telling me when CableCards will be available!!!

Fun, huh?
No fun at all! I am a TWC customer in West Hollywood & I have been dealing with this issue for a month now. I had 3 tech visits over the past month - the first visit, the tech had no cablecards, the next visit he installed 2 cablecards and they were bad, the 3rd visit, a new tech came and told me they would have new cablecards in 3 weeks (unfortunately he did not give me the courtesy of calling me and instead I lost some more hours at work so I could be home for the tech visit).

Today I drove to the Santa Monica TWC office because all my inqueries to Customer Service were futile. I waited in line for 20 minutes & the TWC service person behind the window told me THEY WOULD NOT HAVE CABLECARDS UNTIL AT LEAST JANUARY 2008!

Not only could they not give me an actual date, but she also told me I would have to come back into the office to keep checking to see if the warehouse had new cablecards. She told me if I called customer service they would just send a tech out because they are unaware of the lack of Cablecard inventory.

I have been polite with everyone I've dealt with, but I am honestly at the end of my rope. I am about to return my TiVo HD and just give up. No one at TWC seems to care about helping me. And the way the TWC service person at the office explained it, it sounds like TWC is actually holding out on installing any Cablecards because they have had so many problems.

I wish I knew what to do next. Waiting until January 2008, will negate my ability to return my TiVo since I'm nearing my 30-day return date.

Is anyone else experiencing this ridiculous drama in LA besides us? Has anyone found out more information? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jrjeffrey : 12-02-2007 at 01:44 AM.
jrjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #2534
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjeffrey View Post
Is anyone else experiencing this ridiculous drama in LA besides us? Has anyone found out more information? Any help or advice is appreciated.
See my posts in this thread about my experiences here in the South Bay area of LA. It 'only' took 4 truck roll appointments and 3 visits by installers over a period of 3 weeks to get 3 cablecards installed (2 in the THD, 1 in the TV).

After my experience, I'm convinced that it's not the cablecards that are bad, it's the installers/techs/customer service reps. Out of the 3 installers that visited my home, the first 2 had absolutely no idea what the hell they were doing and blamed all connectivity problems on the cards, or a "bad cable line". Never mind that I'd been receiving digital cable using TWC's set-top boxes without any problems for the last 4 years in this house.

The "we're out of cablecards" story has been around since TWC started offering them. For such a reportedly low percentage of TW customers that actually request cablecards, I'm surprised they run out so often.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #2535
jrjeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol View Post

After my experience, I'm convinced that it's not the cablecards that are bad, it's the installers/techs/customer service reps.
No doubt that is a major part of this issue. In fact, all the techs sent out to me have been contractors, not even Time Warner techs. And the last contracted tech was very honest and told me that he was given my ticket by another TWC tech because they knew it was going to be a "problem" visit.

My major problem is I can't seem to get anyone to tell me what is really going on with the CableCards, but I am being asked to wait until January 2008 and MAYBE then they will be able to install them.
jrjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #2536
FlyGuy

TWC Austin

Purchased two Tivo HD's from Amazon.com. Scheduled appointment with TWC Austin, I had to wait 5 days. The installer arrived and said someone else would be bringing the cards. His office was out this morning. Someone did arrive and brought a stack of cards. I guess they were single stream and multi stream. He placed an M card in each machine. The screens came up with the info, he called in and the picture came on. He seemed to know his way around the Tivo menus and said he had installed them before. He did however need to call his supervisor and make sure that the tivos only needed one M card. I get the local HD channels and the other basics. Re-ran the Guided Setup and it said everything in fine.

When looking through the channels I found that I was not receiving any of my premium channels. I was aware and told by TWC that there would be those certain channels that I would not get..such as the extra HBO's etc... The problem is I'm not receiving any premiums. Some channels have the Tivo banner that appears and says channel not available. Others are just blank.

Called for TWC support, I guess she reauthorized me and we talked about how I should be getting some of them such as HBO on 701. Placed me on hold, came back and said everything was fine on their end. She scheduled me for a service call 4 days from now...

Any ideas ?

Thanks for any info !
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #2537
zgamer

Anyone in the Milwaukee area experiencing problems with SDV yet? Also how well is it picking up QAM channels in the area without the cable card?
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #2538
bananaman

TWC NYC success

Just had a fairly smooth Series 3 CableCard install in Manhattan . Tech knew what he was doing. Had to wait 20-30mins for each card to update firmware. Tech got bored before the second one finished, so I volunteered to call it in and got it paired myself after he left. All working fine.

TWC could save a lot of Tech time by having the cards updated before sending them out, or by just delaying the update until a few days after the initial install, then it would probably occur 'invisibly'.

The cards are Scientific Atlanta M-Cards. Will be nice when Series 3 can run with one M-Card.

This is my third CableCard install (Comcast SF, RCN NYC, TWC NYC). All have gone smoothly.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #2539
noname_com

Setting up tivo HD in austin with Time Warner

Bought TiVo HD unit Friday from circuit city, called friday afternoon and got an appointment for a truck roll this morning. Tuesday.
Installer called this morning @ 7:35 and asked which Tivo I had. I asked why. He said it determines which cards to bring out. I told him, then I asked are you bringing a multi-stream card out he said yes. KEWL!
He said I was first on the list today. I will post my results after the installation.
Hopefully everything goes smooth. Sounded as if the guy has done these before.
noname_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #2540
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgamer View Post
Anyone in the Milwaukee area experiencing problems with SDV yet? Also how well is it picking up QAM channels in the area without the cable card?
I'm in Waukesha and just recently bought the Series 3 and the HD DVR. I have (2) cable cards in each (single stream as they claim they don't have multi-stream yet). I have the Digipic 1000 and the HD package which is the same lineup I was subscribing to with their HD DVR scientific atlanta box.

So in my case I am not using the QAM channels however I thought I'd let you know that I lost (4) channels that I was receiving with their cable box. I lost ESPN2 HD, TBSHD, HGTVHD, and one other one. The HGTVHD and the othe channel I just started seeing in my Scientific Atlanta box a few days prior to switching to my TIVO setup. I believe those (4) channels that I no longer receive are SDV channels.

Also an FYI that I had to have them re-authorize my (4) cable cards two times before I was getting all of the channels I was supposed to. Also make sure they authorize the cable cards with the channel lineup that you are subsribing to!!!

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-04-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #2541
EasilyDistracted

I contacted TW today (Buffalo NY area) to ask about getting cable cards for a Tivo. The Rep said that they would install cable cards in HDTVs only...they won't do that for Tivos.

Has anyone else heard of this? Should I call again and see if I get a different story from a different rep?
EasilyDistracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #2542
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyDistracted View Post
I contacted TW today (Buffalo NY area) to ask about getting cable cards for a Tivo. The Rep said that they would install cable cards in HDTVs only...they won't do that for Tivos.

Has anyone else heard of this? Should I call again and see if I get a different story from a different rep?
Wow. What's the point of TiVo selling TiVos that require cable cards, if cable companies aren't willing to let your TiVo have cable cards in them? Wow.

That's a raw deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #2543
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Wow. What's the point of TiVo selling TiVos that require cable cards, if cable companies aren't willing to let your TiVo have cable cards in them? Wow.

That's a raw deal.
Uhm... Tim, the cables companies can't really do that. It's just a stupid rep or them trying to make someone go away because they don't want to deal with it.

EasilyDistracted, call them back and use words like "FCC" and "Complaint" closely together in your conversation...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #2544
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyDistracted View Post

That sounds like a "I'm pissed off that you don't want our cable box" tactic. That is in violation with the FCC requirement they have to offer cable cards for third party devices. I'd call back and request them again and if you get the same response from another rep. then ask them if it's O.K. if you conference on someone from TIVO so they can tell them the same thing. TIVO has a lot more clout to complain about "noncompetitive practices" than you or I do.

It is very irritating that these Cable companys don't think they have to be competitive with the quality of the cable boxes they offer. Let's face it in reality the reason they are losing DVR rental boxes is because they are not offering one that is on the same playing field as the TIVO. A truely competitive company would try to offer a better DVR box not just practice "non competitive" practices. It's only a matter of time to where one of those reps. makes the wrong statement to the wrong person on the end of that phone requesting cable cards to where it ends up all over the media with law suits. Hopefully there will be a rash of attorneys that want TIVO boxes with cable cards that get the run around

Last edited by Midwest User1 : 12-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #2545
noname_com

Wow that was painless, Installer just left.
Installed a Mcard.
It would have taken less time but the tivo rebooted in the middle of receiving the CC updates twice. I am getting my HD's like disc and espn also.
At first I was not and the installer called and said he needed the discovery channel activated which is where the other HD channels were located on.
About 2 minutes later was getting discHD, espnHD, TBSHD, and others.
This was very painless, and this guy was a contractor.

So I give the overall experience a 8 out 10.

Pleasant
Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #2546
Midwest User1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_com View Post
Wow that was painless, Installer just left.
Installed a Mcard.
It would have taken less time but the tivo rebooted in the middle of receiving the CC updates twice. I am getting my HD's like disc and espn also.
At first I was not and the installer called and said he needed the discovery channel activated which is where the other HD channels were located on.
About 2 minutes later was getting discHD, espnHD, TBSHD, and others.
This was very painless, and this guy was a contractor.

So I give the overall experience a 8 out 10.

Pleasant
What market are you in that you get the TBSHD channel also? That was one of the channels I lost when I switched to the TIVO in Waukesha, WI. I'm receiving all of the other ones you mentioned just not TBSHD.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #2547
flyboy99

TriplePlay Package pricing problem.

My mcard installation with Time Warner NYC went well enough, but now that I have switched, they are telling me that cablecards are not eligible for TriplePlay package pricing, and they are charging me for everything a la carte.

I'm surprised not to find anything about that here, has anyone else had the same problem? Is anyone getting TriplePlay pricing from Time Warner with a cablecard?
flyboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #2548
noname_com

Oh wow flyboy, guess I lucked out. I had triple play before they switched me. I hope they do not come back and try to a la carte me.

Midwest user 1- I did not get a chance to look at every single channel to endsure I was getting them. I did see TBSHD and it seem to be working. I will look again when I get home. The installer said most of the other HD's ( the non switched ones) will come in one at a time. Should be rarther quickly, but I had to get back to work. Being a network administrator seems they cannot do with out you because the boss' daughter's email is down, or they cannot print/scan to the printer, while you in the middle of getting your CC's installed gesh-My stuff is more important - LMAO Just kidding./
Im in the Austin, Tx area. We are a test area for SDV Switched Digital Video. The channels that are switched like espn2HD and a few others I cannot getin hd only in analog. I left my stuff on to see if everything works right. I will post later this evening to see if I still have TBSHD up. There are a few post on here where everything was working then the people were not receiving stuff.

Luckily I had a guy who seems to be knowledgeable. He said he called this morning because its his gas and time and he wanted to make sure he had the right cards for the setup. The first card he put in was giving him a different freq. # and the wrong service telephone number. He yanked it and put another Mcard in. It pulled the right info. He said the other would work, would just be more PITA factor. He was totally expecting to be out of there in an hour. And he would of if my tivo didnt reboot twice on him. I told him I did a little research on this and told him of the horror stories of installers taking 10 hours sometimes . He said he had another tive series 3 that uses only the Scards and he said those were a real pain because of having to pair them. Also it took like 20 minutes to get a person on TWC's end to answer the phone for the installer to call the numbers off to him.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #2549
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy99 View Post
TriplePlay Package pricing problem.

My mcard installation with Time Warner NYC went well enough, but now that I have switched, they are telling me that cablecards are not eligible for TriplePlay package pricing, and they are charging me for everything a la carte.

I'm surprised not to find anything about that here, has anyone else had the same problem? Is anyone getting TriplePlay pricing from Time Warner with a cablecard?
TimeWarner gave me a cable box that is sitting in my closet so that I qualify for the TripplePlay.

-Mike
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #2550
deancruse

TW Cable Card channels in Austin

(Finally) bought an HD TV this weekend and a TivoHD - we've been dedicated Tivo fans for years. So, TW told me that the cable card significantly limits the the HD channels as well as the other channels I can receive - obviously trying to get me to use their HD DVR box. I've been reading the posts on SDV and think I understand the basics, but my question is this: Does anyone have a definitive list of channels supported by the cable cards in the Time Warner Austin market? TW is clueless and can't/won't produce such a list. I need to decide whether to return the Tivo and succumb to the TW BS, or enjoy Tivo HD despite the limited channels.
deancruse is offline   Reply With Quote