TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 AM   #2491
dlcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjones1 View Post
Can anyone from the RDU tell me what HD channels they do not receive as a result of not owning TWC's DVR box?
The answer depends on the market where you live.
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #2492
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Okay, I am new to Tivo so please forgive my seemingly simple questions. Can anyone from the RDU tell me what HD channels they do not receive as a result of not owning TWC's DVR box? I have spoken to 3 people there tonight, and none of them were proficient with the cable cards. One person told me that you don't get ESPN2HD or any of the West channels, i.e. HBOW, SHOWW, etc. Also, one person told me that the 2-way cards were available, 1 said they weren't, and the 3rd had no idea what I meant. Any help here? Thanks.

P.S. One last question, if I plug in a 500GB e-SATA drive, does anyone know approximately how many extra HD recording hours I would get?
Im in Apex.... Currently, I am getting everything except AEHD, TBSHD, GolfVSHD. That was supposed to change last week with ESPN2HD, UHD and MTVHD also going away but it hasnt happened yet. I cant speak to premiums since I dont subscribe but I believe the characterization was correct in that you will only get East (at least after the 'takaway'). My S3 has 2 M-Cards in it and my THD has 1 M-Card in it.

I believe 500G should get you about 66 extra hours of HD. Note that with an S3, you can use eSATA solutoin but with THD you must use the Tivo blessed Western Digital Solution.

All cablecards are 2-way. Its the host that makes the difference. Tivo's are one way hosts and arent set up to or licensed to do two way.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #2493
kingcull

Angry Terrible Experience So Far

I purchased a Tivo HD and called Time Warner NYC to set up the cable card installation. I had to wait over a month to get an appointment and take a day off of work. The technician arrived with 11 cable cards. After inserting a card into slot 1, he would attempt to get a "Host ID" and an error was returned. This happened with all 11 cards. He got on the phone with his tech support and they said it was a problem with the Tivo box. I then called Tivo Customer Service (on hold for about 40 mins.) and the representative said it was a problem with the cable cards. I even had the Time Warner technician speak with the Tivo rep and each blamed each other. The entire process took over 3 hours.
I had no choice but to return the Tivo for a new one. I now have to wait 5 weeks for another cable card installation appointment.

Not a good experience.
kingcull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #2494
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcull View Post
Not a good experience.
cable company was full of bullhockey. Sorry you could not get a competent install.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #2495
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmorris View Post
None of the pay channels show up on the second cable card on either unit. Had TWC come out and they replaced the TivoHD cards with an M card. The dual tuners work but neither of them now gets any pay channles. On the S3 they replaced both S cards and still no pay channels on the S3.

Anyone have ideas? I'm thinking of dumping this and going back to DirecTV but I love my Tivo so I'm trying to work through this.
it is not the cable cards but the billing system is not set coorectly to authorize your cards to receive the channels. This is borne out by the set of channels you are not getting. The tech that kept fiddling with the card hardware had no idea how the back end system works - you need to escalate beyond the front line.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #2496
rbjones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Im in Apex.... Currently, I am getting everything except AEHD, TBSHD, GolfVSHD. That was supposed to change last week with ESPN2HD, UHD and MTVHD also going away but it hasnt happened yet. I cant speak to premiums since I dont subscribe but I believe the characterization was correct in that you will only get East (at least after the 'takaway'). My S3 has 2 M-Cards in it and my THD has 1 M-Card in it.

I believe 500G should get you about 66 extra hours of HD. Note that with an S3, you can use eSATA solutoin but with THD you must use the Tivo blessed Western Digital Solution.

All cablecards are 2-way. Its the host that makes the difference. Tivo's are one way hosts and arent set up to or licensed to do two way.
Okay, I just want to clear up something. I understand that you can pretty much use any e-SATA drive with the Tivo HD Series 3 receiver. You mentioned the THD, what is that? Do you mean just a standard Tivo HD box?
When I talked to TWC, they told me that they have plans of taking away all HD content from the cable cards. That would not be a good thing.
rbjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #2497
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
When I talked to TWC, they told me that they have plans of taking away all HD content from the cable cards. That would not be a good thing.
They've already started taking HD content away from my analog cable. (They just deleted KLRU HD )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #2498
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
They've already started taking HD content away from my analog cable. (They just deleted KLRU HD )
They took away klru hd 2. Not the main feed. It was klru's decision, not TWC's.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #2499
DaveDFW

I just wanted to share my success story in DFW with Time-Warner.

It did take two cable-guy visits to get it all working correctly--the first guy who came installed an S-card in slot 1, and an M-card in slot 2. I wasn't watching closely enough to catch his error.

After about 2.5 hours of him repeatedly running through guided setup (I told him that would only fix the guide data, but he was convinced otherwise), I was only receiving about half the channels--cable guy said to wait a couple of hours and they'd come in.

It didn't fix itself of course. I ran through the troubleshooting docs at tivo, which told me the cards were not paired correctly. (Val:?)

T-W sent out a second guy who said the activation is immediate and I should not have waited--if the channels aren't showing up, it's broken.

He took back the unneeded S-card, and installed the M-card in slot 1, and got someone on the phone who knew how to activate the cablecards.

Everything now works correctly, and the picture quality is great--I wish I had bought an HD Tivo last year now that I realize what I was missing.

Moral of the story is--don't let your cable guy leave until the channels are working!

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #2500
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
They took away klru hd 2. Not the main feed. It was klru's decision, not TWC's.
Really? When I get home I'll search and see if I can find any HD for KLRU. This might be related to my problem where I don't get all the HD local networks, even though they're in my guide data. My tuner gives me a gray screen on most of the HDs. It's possible the KLRU main feed is one of those gray screens, while the HD 2 was working, but now they deleted the HD 2.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #2501
Interpol

OK, here's my story of woe. My cable service is Time Warner South Bay in Torrance, CA.

Bought my Tivo HD about 3 weeks ago. Since I'd been out of the CableCard loop for about a year, I called TW customer service and asked if CableCards were now available for pickup at any local TW cablestores. Their response: "Yes, just go to any cablestore and they should be able to give you as many as you need."

I'm looking to get 3 Cablecards - one for the Sony SXRD TV, and two for the Tivo.

So the next day I drive out to my local TW office in Torrance, only to be told "No, we do not give out Cablecards, we never have, you need to set up an appointment for a truck roll." To verify this, I went to the TW office in Manhattan Beach and was told the same thing. Terrific, thanks for wasting half my day. So I call TW CS and set up an appointment for Friday 11/16, their earliest available date (wait time one week).

Friday 11/16 comes, and I make sure I'm home between 1 and 3PM (the appointment window). Nobody shows. I call TW CS and am told "Sorry, the installer is running late, give him another 1-2 hours, here's a $20 credit from our on-time guarantee."

At 5:30PM, I call again. "Sorry, he's still running late, he'll be there in the next 30 minutes. Here's another $20 credit."

At 7PM, I call again. "Sorry, we messed up the work order and assigned the wrong installer. We thought you wanted TW phone service installed (?!?), so we can't send someone out today. Here's another $20 credit and we'll have to reschedule an appointment for Wednesday 11/21." Great, never mind that I'm working that day and won't be home.

So Wednesday comes and I've given my wife a stack of printed instructions to give to the installer, including the info from Tivo and my own hand-drawn diagrams. I've also set up all the lines in back (one digital cable line and one OTA antenna line split to run to the TV and to the Tivo concurrently), and I've verified that everything is connected correctly and works, so the installer shouldn't even need to mess around with the cable runs. All he needs to do is plug in the Cablecards and activate them.

So at work, in the middle of the operating room (I'm a doctor), I get a call from my wife and she puts the installer on. First he gives me a whole bunch of grief about using my own DVR instead of TW's oh-so-wonderful crap-box (which I've had, used, and endured for the last 1.5 years), and then notifies me that he brought 3 cards. The problem is, only one works, and only in the TV. He also tells me that the failure rate for their cards is extremely high and asks what I want him to do.

So I ask him to leave the other two cards and I'll try to do the install myself. He tells me he can't do that - if I want him to leave the cards, he can only leave one additional card, and he'll have to take the TW DVR with him(WTF?). Totally frustrated by now, I agree, and he leaves.

Strangely enough, 30 minutes later I get another call from my wife and she tells me ANOTHER installer just showed up. She puts him on the phone and he tells me he brought 2 more cards, he's pulled the one the other installer left, and put the 2 in the Tivo - but it's not working. No channels are displaying, even the analog channels. He "suspects there's something wrong with my cable line" and schedules yet ANOTHER truck roll (this time for Wednesday 11/28) for someone to come out and fix it. So I tell him to just leave everything and I'll try to diagnose the problem when I get home.

I get home, and this is what I find:

- the two Cablecards the second installer put in the Tivo were unpaired (I get the "waiting for CP auth" message)
- the first installer had gone behind the TV and unplugged and re-routed all the cables, so now the OTA lines were completely disconnected, and the digital cable line was running into the ANTENNA input on the Tivo. No wonder the second installer wasn't receiving any channels.
- the first installer had disconnected the eSATA cable from my WD DVR Expander drive, didn't reconnect it, and reset the Tivo, so I lost all my recordings from the past week.
- the Cablecard in my Sony TV actually works. I can tune almost all the channels I'm subscribed to. The only ones I don't get, for some reason, are the East Coast feeds of premium channels like HBO and Cinemax, ESPN2HD, and TBS-HD (and we don't have SDV here).

So as of today, I've got a crippled Tivo that has 2 unpaired Cablecards in it. I called TW yesterday and asked if I could speak to someone at dispatch to do the pairing over the phone and save them a truck roll, but was told that I couldn't do that. So now I'm stuck with waiting until next Wednesday to get all the channels I'm paying for.

After experiencing all this, I'm convinced that it's not an issue of bad Cablecards. It's just that Time Warner Customer Service as well as their installers simply don't know what the hell they're doing. I'm sure the "high failure rate" of Cablecards can be attributed to the fact that nobody at TW knows exactly how they're supposed to be installed, and the fact that they don't WANT people to have/use Cablecards makes them even more passive-aggressive about the whole issue.

I'll follow up next Wednesday if/when the installer comes out.

Last edited by Interpol : 11-23-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #2502
timckelley
TCFer

Wow. They won't let you do the install, and insist they truckroll their own guy, even though you know more than they do? It would make sense if they allow the person who knows what they're doing do the install.

I dread the day I subscribe to digital cable and need a cable card install.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #2503
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
Wow. They won't let you do the install, and insist they truckroll their own guy, even though you know more than they do? It would make sense if they allow the person who knows what they're doing do the install.

I dread the day I subscribe to digital cable and need a cable card install.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I can understand if TW wants to try to protect their customers from themselves, but if you think about it a Cablecard installation isn't rocket science. It's basically a two-step process: provision (pair) the card, then activate it. Pretty simple.

The fact that TW South Bay requires a truck roll (and the subsequent $20 "service/installation charge") for Cablecard installation without any other alternative, plus the fact that their installers (as well as their customer service) for the most part don't know what they're doing when it comes to Cablecards is pretty insulting.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #2504
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol View Post
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I can understand if TW wants to try to protect their customers from themselves, but if you think about it a Cablecard installation isn't rocket science. It's basically a two-step process: provision (pair) the card, then activate it. Pretty simple.

The fact that TW South Bay requires a truck roll (and the subsequent $20 "service/installation charge") for Cablecard installation without any other alternative, plus the fact that their installers (as well as their customer service) for the most part don't know what they're doing when it comes to Cablecards is pretty insulting.
I think that is the way the majority of TW works. I had to have them do an install. Cost 29 bucks.
ldudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #2505
slyone

I've finally reached the end of this thread.....I recently bought a couple HDtv's (using TWC Rochester boxes for HD content) Today I purchased a TivoHD and setup an install for next Wednesday....seems a bit scary now though! What's the deal with SHD and also, what is EMM? should I not pickup the THD yet? I just figured it would streamline and simplify cabling and operations plus I figured I'd save a few bucks every month not using TWC boxes.
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #2506
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone View Post
I've finally reached the end of this thread.....I recently bought a couple HDtv's (using TWC Rochester boxes for HD content) Today I purchased a TivoHD and setup an install for next Wednesday....seems a bit scary now though! What's the deal with SHD and also, what is EMM? should I not pickup the THD yet? I just figured it would streamline and simplify cabling and operations plus I figured I'd save a few bucks every month not using TWC boxes.
I think you mean SDV. Switch Digital Video. And in Rochester, it's a big deal.

Rochester, NY is one of a few cities that I know have "full blown SDV." SDV requires two way communication between your cable cards and the head end. What that means to you is that TiVo is capable of only one way communication with cable cards. Many of your digital stations and HD stations are on SDV which means that with the TiVo HD at this time you may not be able to see them.

TiVo is working with cable companies to create a "dongle" a device that will create two way communications - however it is not available now.

I have no idea what channels you receive that are on the SDV and what are not. I imagine that local HD channels are not but you may find that ESPNHD and others that are cable channels are.

You may want to search the internet for TW in your area to see exactly what channels are affected. If you feel too many channels are SDV then I would say wait until the "dongle" is developed.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #2507
slyone

Thanks for your informative response! I shall look iknto this. As far as the TW HD cable box...I get
1007=WUHF (local) 1030=HDTHD?
1008=WROC (local) 1033=TNTHD
1010=WHEC (local) 1037=A&E
1011=WXXI (local) 1047=YESHD
1013=WHAM (local) 1050=HDNET
1051=? HD tier for additional $4.95?
1014=MOJO 1052=ESPNHD
1015=MTVHD 1053=ESPNHD
1016=WHAM? 1060=HDHBO

It seems maybe I could receive most of these using a regular antenna? I do have a QAM tuner in my new Panasonic Plasma and I currently am still using my RS-TX20 Tivo unit which has always just had free basic lifetime service. Maybe I should have my son try the regular antenna lead which goes to the antenna above the garage...to see what I get? Just trying to simplify while reducing costs and adding the HD advantage I guess..Thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #2508
ldudek

Quote:
Thanks for your informative response! I shall look iknto this. As far as the TW HD cable box...I get
1007=WUHF (local) 1030=HDTHD?
1008=WROC (local) 1033=TNTHD
1010=WHEC (local) 1037=A&E
1011=WXXI (local) 1047=YESHD
1013=WHAM (local) 1050=HDNET
1051=? HD tier for additional $4.95?
1014=MOJO 1052=ESPNHD
1015=MTVHD 1053=ESPNHD
1016=WHAM? 1060=HDHBO

It seems maybe I could receive most of these using a regular antenna? I do have a QAM tuner in my new Panasonic Plasma and I currently am still using my RS-TX20 Tivo unit which has always just had free basic lifetime service. Maybe I should have my son try the regular antenna lead which goes to the antenna above the garage...to see what I get? Just trying to simplify while reducing costs and adding the HD advantage I guess..Thanks!
I expected to see more. Still, that's a bit more then I receive.

Remember, SDV will not only affect HD channels. It will also affect digital stations that are not in HD. TiVo HD is OTA capable so if you are able to get a signal you can do that as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #2509
idabe

Thumbs up Time Warner NYC

I just wanted to report a positive experience with TWC NYC (Queens). I was able to get an appointment to install the cable cards one week after I called. The CSR I spoke with initially didn't know what M-cards were and, after asking, told me they didn't have them. But when the cable guy arrived (exactly at the beginning of the 10am "window"), he had M-cards with him. He installed M-cards in 2 TiVoHDs without a problem. Both TiVoHDs were up and running within the hour. After reading all the difficult install stories here, I have to say I was quite surprised and pleased.
idabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #2510
slyone

How do I see if/what OTA channels I get? I assume I only hookup the regular coaxial cable coming from the antenna either straight to the HDTV or/eventually thru my Tivo RS-TX20 series 2 single tuner unit? I bought the TivoHD last night but haven't actually picked it up yet from CircuitCity.

Also, what benefit do I get for having a QAM tuner in the tv?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #2511
Interpol

Quote:
How do I see if/what OTA channels I get?
Connect an antenna to the antenna input on your Tivo or your TV (assuming it has an ATSC tuner), then do a channel scan.

Quote:
also, what benefit do I get for having a QAM tuner in the tv?
The benefit is that the TV can tune unencrypted digital cable channels without the need for a set-top box. If you want the TV to tune encrypted channels, you will also need a Cablecard plugged into the TV.

By the way, this is off-topic and has nothing to do with Time Warner.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #2512
feeferwilly

Believe it or not, I just got my Series 3 up and running. The first time Time Warner came out, they sent a contractor. He spent the day here and could not get it to work. Two days later, when a new technician came back (a Time Warner technician), he got it up and running in five minutes. It's all about the technician.
feeferwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #2513
mgoyal

Exclamation CableCard install tomorrow (Nov26) in Austin!

Hi All!

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD and TWC (Austin, Texas) is coming out tomorrow to install 2 cablecards in it.

I'm desperately hoping they'll send someone who has succssfully done
this install before, but am not planning on cancelling if it is the
installers 1st time.

Wish me luck!!

Mo
mgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #2514
danator

Quote:
Moral of the story is--don't let your cable guy leave until the channels are working!
Nothing really changed i guess

I'm probably one of the first few in DFW to get a S3 and cable Cards installed at DFW area, stressful and disturbing experinces just to get it to work. It been working all right so far, except one occasion when they added Hdnet/UHD to the new line-up. I didn't do anything about it, the channels were cleared one month later with S3. We'll see how how soon before i get to see the HDnet movie channel that just added few days ago.

If the pairing are right, one should get the premium hd after few minutes not hours. So...that's right, don't let them go if it ain't working yet. Scheduling another appointment is a stressful thing.
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #2515
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay View Post
Time Warner is rolling a truck on Monday. Funny thing is that the Tivo channels are in the right place for the old line-up, but the names of the channels have changed slightly....so after another Guided Setup I have no working Guide for most channels and I'm missing all the new channels they added.

Also...TW offered to swap out my Motorola box with one with a larger hard drive if I bring it into their offices....strange.
I got a call back from the TimeWarner second level support center in Denver. After being sent to the Time Warner offices to get new Cable Cards, I was told that only installers can install them, and they sent one home with me and two new cable cards.

Long story short, the new line up showed up after installing the first new cablecard. The second cablecard gave the dreaded 161-1 error. He tried reinitializing one of the old ones, and it messed up the channel line up. When we removed both then reinstalled the one that was working correctly, everything went back to normal. He left, I talked with the TW 2nd level support team in Denver again.... they tried a bunch of initialization stuff to no avail. I need to have a "new" working cable card....so they are rolling a truck tomorrow (I'm out of towm....my wife is in, and has detailed instructions that I've typed up). For now I have a single tuner TIVO (I don't understand why I can't have two tuners with OTA stations and the single CableCard)

The problem stems from a new system that TW installed to replace the old Adelphia one. Apparently, CableCards are tied to the system they were initialized on, and my Tivo was initialized with the old one. Apparently, CableCards cannot be reused once they are initialized.

I am hopeful they can get it fixed and I can go back to a 2 tuner TIVO.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #2516
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoyal View Post
Hi All!

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD and TWC (Austin, Texas) is coming out tomorrow to install 2 cablecards in it.

I'm desperately hoping they'll send someone who has succssfully done
this install before, but am not planning on cancelling if it is the
installers 1st time.

Wish me luck!!

Mo
Austin is another city that TW uses full blown SDV. I hope you were aware of that when you made your purchase. If you're disappointed, you can always return it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #2517
Dicescuz

Arrow A Very Sad Day (I just returned my HD-Tivo)

Let me first say I am a huge Tivo fan, I have had a Tivo for over 5 years. That is why I was so excited to see the new HD tivo with lifetime membership. I immediately picked up the new Tivo and a Multi-stream cable card from my San Antonio TX, Time Warner cable. To my dismay San Antonio is an early adopter of SDV and all of my HD channels except 3 local and all of my digital cable channels are now SDV. After researching on the internet I found that there is no current hardware to allow Tivo to work with SDV. Although there has been talk about a "Tuner Resolver" there was no solid date or any commitment to create one. That is too big of a risk for $700when I alread have a low def Tivo and the Time Warner representative I talked to said they would soon convert all Digital and HD to SDV. My only hope is that Tivo will create a Two Way communication Tivo or that the "Tuner Resolver" comes to market quickly. Tivo is the greatest single piece of entertainment technology ever built, but if you live in San Antonio, TX go with the low def Tivo until the technology is developed to allow all of your cable channels to work.
Dicescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #2518
Drezahl

CableCard Install Nightmares!

TW is driving me mad. I'm on TWC in the Conejo Valley (LA Area) and getting the second cablecard to function and take a hit in the S3 Tivo has been increadibly problematic. I have now had four separate technicians visit my home with what I cannot count or remember how many cards we have been through and it is still not coded or validated to receive the premium tiers of HD programming.

I am now told, after I was waiting for the 5th technician visit to arrive to resolve the issue, that the issue is within the TWC software end of things that they cannot get it to validate the second cable card. To make matters worse they have no clear news on when they will even be able to resolve the issue.

Has anyone else in the LA market had this issue? TWC is telling me that they have lots of Tivo S3's with this same issue and they have no way to resolve the problems at this time. Help! TIA, Tom.
Drezahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #2519
Interpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicescuz View Post
Let me first say I am a huge Tivo fan, I have had a Tivo for over 5 years. That is why I was so excited to see the new HD tivo with lifetime membership. I immediately picked up the new Tivo and a Multi-stream cable card from my San Antonio TX, Time Warner cable. To my dismay San Antonio is an early adopter of SDV and all of my HD channels except 3 local and all of my digital cable channels are now SDV. After researching on the internet I found that there is no current hardware to allow Tivo to work with SDV. Although there has been talk about a "Tuner Resolver" there was no solid date or any commitment to create one. That is too big of a risk for $700when I alread have a low def Tivo and the Time Warner representative I talked to said they would soon convert all Digital and HD to SDV. My only hope is that Tivo will create a Two Way communication Tivo or that the "Tuner Resolver" comes to market quickly. Tivo is the greatest single piece of entertainment technology ever built, but if you live in San Antonio, TX go with the low def Tivo until the technology is developed to allow all of your cable channels to work.
Have you seen today's news on Engadget?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/26/s...-tivo-in-2008/

Quote:
TiVo and the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA) have announced a new external adapter that will allow cable operators to roll out switched video while still playing nice with third-party devices like the TiVo HD and Series3 DVRs. The devices will hook up to a CableCARD host device via USB and use software to choose channels, eliminating yet another set-top box but giving cable providers a break on bandwidth requirements. The devices will begin shipping to TiVo customers -- and other compatible CableCARD devices -- in the second quarter of 2008.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #2520
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicescuz View Post
Hi, there I'm a fellow San Antonio resident, and I just want to point out that TWC DOES have all the locals in HD included in the basic analog tier, even though they don't really want to tell you that (in other words, you get them "for free", as long as you get CableCARDs from them at $2/month each). Also, you can get some of the HD channels in the HD package with your TiVo, not everything is SDV. I get HDNET, HDNET Movies, UniversalHD, ESPN, Mojo, Discovery HD Theater and TNT HD with my Series 3.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote