TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #1951
randymac88

Good news from Time Warner Cable Manhattan sub. Technician came out today, 12-4 window, arrived at 3:30 (d'oh!).

The guy meant business. Was totally on top of it, knew exactly what he was doing. Said he had done multiple installs into the TiVos. I told him about my previous appointment from two weeks ago, and how the Firmware update didn't load.

He pulled out two cards, said that they were tested prior to going out in the field. They were dated April and May of 2006. Uh oh. I told him that I was told that the cards needed to be dated 6/11 or after due to the firmware update issues. He said that actually, the firmware downloading issue was not with the cards or the TiVo, but actually with the IT group at TWC. And, they located and found the issue. I was skeptical, but took his word for it.

Popped in card 1, got the host ID. Popped in card 2, got the host ID. Firmware updates began with both cards...and finished in about 5 minutes. Paired the cards through dispatch, and was off and running. Checked both cards for HD channels, got a few, and off he went. All set, up and running, about 30 minutes total!

Unfortunately, I've got pixelation issues on both tuners. I haven't had time to watch enough to determine whether I deem it unwatchable, but I definitely have some significant problems. Cross your fingers. HD looks great though...I think it looks a little crisper than the old 8300HD box (which I kept around, just in case).

For some reason, my "480i" light on the front won't turn off though...weird. I've disabled everything, yet it remains (I've got it on 1080i fixed anyway).

Thanks to all for the info!

Last edited by randymac88 : 08-11-2007 at 07:16 PM.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #1952
toxicpenguin

Thumbs up TivoHD Manhattan Experience Update

Alright, its now been a solid 2 days with me trying out the TiVoHD with the new cable cards. I have been recording pretty much everything showing up, and transferred all my old season passes to the new tivo. The 2 tuner recording works great. Infact I disconnected the Tivo to rearrange the equiptment, and reconnected everything and cable cards worked like a charm.
Here are the issues I have been having so far.

1. SLOOOOOW GUI.... I mean it is real slow. Maybe I am comparing it to my S2 box which was zippy. It is even slower when you are accessing HD channel lineup.

2. Changing channels thro the Tivo is a bit slow compared to STB ... not that big a deal.

3. Pixelation : that is my biggest gripe. EVERYTHING i tape has that random pixelation. HD maybe a bit more than SD, and I suspect Cable card 2 more than 1 (no way to be sure other than watching each show as it records)

4. Color saturation of the GUI is too much (again i compare it with S2 connected with SVGA versus S3 with HDMI)

5. A&E, and a couple channels still do not decode.

6. Couple channels... video OK, no audio (i dont watch those anyways )

I wonder if some or all issues are Tivo related or TWC related. All of you out there with TWC, can you post if Channel 16 (A&E) decodes on your TiVoHD's.

Also, does anyone know if there is a setting which displays which tuner I am viewing, without going to cable card lineup menu... something which displays channel and tuner info at the same time

Is anyone having any other issues? I am going to call TiVo is a day or 2 to talk to them about this damn pixelation which the better half is definately gonna bitch about.

Thanks again
toxicpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #1953
littlelibo

Success - so far

I live in dallas and just had my cablecards delivered. First thing you should know is that the techs they send have little to no experience with cablecards. The dispatchers they call in order to activate the cards are even worse. I will say that they will keep working however until you get success. The trick is for you to be educated before they arrive.

The second thing you should know is that the cards they brought to me were all motorola m-cards. The cards have stickers which say "1-way", but they show in the tivo as multi-stream. This is great, it means you will only need one card (if your experience is like mine).

My experience was painful, but ultimately successful. The didpatchers were the problem... The cards would work, but certain channels would not come in. It took about 6 hours, and 5 cablecards (all of which I know believe were totally fine). Finally, one of the dispatchers cleared my account totally and set it up from scratch and viola... I know am enjoying TivoHD paradise...

Good luck...
littlelibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #1954
LowFuel

My experience:
Called TW and setup an appointment once Tivo alerted me that my box had shipped.
The box arrived a few days early, which is fine. I set it up the night before so it would be ready to go.
TW installer had not done a HD Tivo yet. He plugged in the first card, called in the ID#'s, and it was working within a few minutes. Second card took a little longer to sync up, but then started working as well.

I am getting the pixelation problem quite often (every 10 seconds or so on HD channels). Anyone NOT getting this?
I'm really, really not looking forward to trying to troubleshoot this - I'm sure TW will say it's Tivo, and Tivo will say it's TW, etc.
Bottom line is my old 8300HD plugged into the same jack worked flawlessly for a year or so.

Also, new problem just occured - all the digital channels are now just a gray screen. They were working one second, then just stopped. I restarted the Tivo to no avail, then powered it off and re-seated the cable cards, again to no avail. Anyone seen something like this?

I'm really frustrated at this point. I expected problems from TW and Scientific Craplanta, but not Tivo...
LowFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #1955
Zaph32

I'm not getting pixelization on HD channels, but I am using 1 Motorola M card in each box.

Oh, and I'm having digital channel issues similar to what you're seeing on one of them. No luck so far in getting them fixed over the phone.
Zaph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #1956
LowFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph32
Oh, and I'm having digital channel issues similar to what you're seeing on one of them. No luck so far in getting them fixed over the phone.
I was actually seeing it on *all* digital channels. But, looks like it's cleared up after waiting about 30 minutes...

I wonder if I can get a motorola card here in San Diego...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #1957
Zaph32

So here's a semi-new topic.

How can we get REAL technical support?

Calling the reps is not good enough to resolve "tough" issues like 0x02.
Calling the "Tivo Cablecard Support" line is just regular Tivo support, and is also worthless.

I need to get through to a real, honest to God technical person at Time-Warner to fix this card.

I am so pissed off at this whole experience.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #1958
Karnwine

Zaph32, Here's what I did after several frustrating days of trying to get my cards to work: Go to TimeWarnercable.com, enter your zip to take you to your areas webpage. From there I clicked on the "about Us" tab and found email links to the management team. I shot a short email to the regional president and had three lead techs at my door and their cable card "guru" on the phoneline the next morning. Everything works great now. Let us know if this works for you too. Good Luck

Last edited by Karnwine : 08-12-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Karnwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #1959
Zaph32

Karnwine, very good suggestion and I will do exactly that.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #1960
Zaph32

Karnwine,

Just to follow up...you rule. This got the appropriate attention and my issue is now completely resolved!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #1961
heidismiles

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffner76
HELP! My series 3 HD (300 hr) arrived yesterday, I was sooo excited. Sat down and did the whole reverently unwrap the box thing. As I started going through the instrustructions, I realized I needed two cable cards. I had only ordered one. My appointment is this afternoon between 6 and 9. Last night I called TW-Charlotte and requested the tech bring 2 cable cards. HUGE mistake. HUGE. They absolutely refused to provide 2 cards since I do not have 2 hd tvs. A supervisor finally got on the line and stated that the FCC only requires they provide one and the company has made a policy decision and will only provide one card for TIVO users. I, of course, went into my "as soon as I locate alternate providers, I will cancel every service I have with TW" rant; not realizing at the time that the series 3 requires a cable feed!! (Idjut me).

I cannot begin to tell you how livid I am about this development. Called TIVO last night, they were helpful and "escalated" me to a higher level of customer service that would apparently conference in TW and tell them they had to provide the card. Hold time was stated to be 5 minutes...after 20 I gave up (I was on my cell phone and running up minutes like crazy).

I am calling back this AM when their phone lines open.

Has anyone else in Charlotte recieved this schtick from TW? Have you had any success?? I would appreciate any advice. Also, recommendations on other high speed internet providers would be appreciated!!! No need to give them any more cash than I have too.
Does anyone mind helping a noob? I just ordered one 80-hour box and one 300-hour box directly from Tivo. I am a Time Warner customer in Orange County, California. I've never even heard of a CableCard before. What's the deal? Will I need one or more of these cards to make my Tivos work? I called TW and they said I won't need any cards, just cable boxes.
heidismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #1962
Karnwine

Zaph, did you actually get a response from an email that fast or just threaten to use it when you called in??
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1963
Zaph32

I just emailed. I got a response almost instantly, and resolution very shortly thereafter.

I was (and am) floored. It's a Sunday afternoon!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #1964
Karnwine

Wow!! Thats pretty good service. TW is actually decent when you finally reach the right people....okay, thats doesn't sound right in this thread, please don't flame me, TW haters!!

Last edited by Karnwine : 08-12-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Karnwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #1965
TracerBullet

Has anyone else had the experience of getting put on hold for a lengthly period of time when ordering cablecards? I called TWC (Brooklyn) last week to order them, and was put on hold for approximately ten minutes. I had to cancel the appointment because something came up, and told them I'd call back to reschedule. I did so today, and got the 10-minute hold time again. I've never gotten this with any other call to TWC.

I'm usually allergic to conspiracy theories, but this seems a little odd.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #1966
s2kdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Has anyone else had the experience of getting put on hold for a lengthly period of time when ordering cablecards? I called TWC (Brooklyn) last week to order them, and was put on hold for approximately ten minutes. I had to cancel the appointment because something came up, and told them I'd call back to reschedule. I did so today, and got the 10-minute hold time again. I've never gotten this with any other call to TWC.

I'm usually allergic to conspiracy theories, but this seems a little odd.
As with any customer service, it really all depends on what day and the time of day you call. If everyone is calling the same time you are, the hold times will be long. So 5-6pm on a weekday, especially monday, will be the worst time to call.
s2kdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #1967
TracerBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave
As with any customer service, it really all depends on what day and the time of day you call. If everyone is calling the same time you are, the hold times will be long. So 5-6pm on a weekday, especially monday, will be the worst time to call.
No, no. I was put on hold after I reached a CSR and asked for cablecards.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #1968
LowFuel

Zaph - are you saying they fixed your pixelation issues, or just a bad cable card?
Sorry, I wasnt sure what the problem was you needed escalated. I'm curious if they were actually able to resolve pixelation problems!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #1969
s2kdave

Quote:
My bad, I misread it. Yeah, that sucks. I've had that happen once or twice, but not consistently. Most of my wait time is before talking to someone. The last time I called they were working on something for a while and took my number and called me back so I didn't have to wait.
s2kdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #1970
Zaph32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFuel
Zaph - are you saying they fixed your pixelation issues, or just a bad cable card?
Sorry, I wasnt sure what the problem was you needed escalated. I'm curious if they were actually able to resolve pixelation problems!
I never had pixelization, thankfully. I'm on MCards on both units, and so far the pixelization seems to be limited to Scientific Atlanta SCards.

My issue had to do with the card provisioning - it was done incorrectly and was causing certain channels to throw up the cablecard screen. The normal phone reps could not fix it, it had to be handled by someone who really understood cablecards.

(The problem? The installer, who wrote down all the numbers by hand, assigned the wrong host/data to the wrong card serials.)

Then my next problem, channels randomly going dark on me, was "resolved" after a fashion...the TivoHD in question died and I replaced with a new one. Yes, that did re-open the cablecard activation problems, you can't port the card over.

At this moment, all is well and I am pleased (and holding my breath!)
Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #1971
heidismiles

Ok, well I just ordered my first Tivo boxes (80 hr and S3) and I called Time Warner to schedule a CableCard installation. They didn't give me any crap about it (they said "Series 3, right? Yes, you will need two cable cards.") and the cards are going to be free. They aren't even charging me for the service call, since I was so angry about my TW DVRs crapping out on me (they randomly erased ALL of my recordings, future recordings, and favorites lists.) So, it looks like a potential good experience from an Orange County, California customer. Hopefully they'll work! I'll let y'all know on Thursday.
heidismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #1972
randymac88

Quote:
This happened to me once, but i just assumed that it was because the first rep I got on the phone knew nothing about cablecards, so she put me back on hold until a more knowledgable rep could pick up.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #1973
Skittles
West Coast citizen!

Ugh. Just dealing with the order department at Time Warner Cable is already frustrating me, and I haven't even gotten my install set up yet.

Called and talked to a Time Warner Cable person in Richardson, told her I needed to get cable service set up and that I wanted two cablecards. She asked if I'd be using them in my TV, and I told her I'd be using them for my TiVo HD unit.

She put me on hold. Came back a few minutes later, told me they don't offer cablecards for TiVo's.

I told her that was a crock of bull, and that they offered cablecards, and that they don't get to pick and choose what they want to install them in, because that's a violation of the FCC regulation. Put me on hold again for five minutes, came back, and said once again that they only offer cablecards for TV installations, not for TiVo's.

I told her that was a crock (again) and that there should be no issue with installing them in a TiVo, since they're the same cablecards.

She put me on hold again, another five minutes. Came back, and said they'd go ahead and set up an appointment for installation. She gives me the spiel about how I'll be losing out on their guide, their On Demand, and the PPV functionality. I was real polite and said that was totally OK.

She offered me an install for tomorrow. I told her that wouldn't work for me. She said the next install appointment was on the 28th.

I asked if she'd be able to offer me an installation appointment on the 4th, instead. So she says "I can't schedule that far out... I can offer you an appointment tomorrow, or an appointment on the 28th. That's it".

Yep. In the next three weeks, they can only install on two days, and won't do anything to schedule beyond that. So I said "Thanks very much anyway, please cancel my order".

I'm already aggrevated with them, and I haven't even seen a tech. I may have to email the regional director about this, because I'm pretty frustrated and want some resolution on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is now a thing that's happening!

Join us in 2014 as we head to the Western Caribbean
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #1974
mercurial
Retro-Av

Yes, I love how TWC can never schedule "that far out" but when you push them they can. Our internet and phone was going wonky two days before we were heading out of town. They couldn't get someone out the next day (how can you not send someone out on an emergency call when a person's phone service isn't working?) and "couldn't schedule it a week out because the availability isn't posted yet" but somehow was able to call a supervisor and through some magic had us an appointment for the day we returned.... Hmmm...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #1975
Skittles
West Coast citizen!

Well, I wrote to the president of the North Texas division for TWC.

I got a reply within 5 minutes, and he was very apologetic. He admitted that they install cablecards in TiVo's all the time, and that he was disappointed in the experience I'd had. He's going to work on getting it fixed for me ASAP.

So hey, if they can get this sorted out, I might be giving major props to them. I'm already impressed with how quickly they wrote back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #1976
Skittles
West Coast citizen!

Local manager just called... REALLY apologetic. She offered to set up the TiVo today if I wanted to, and I thanked her for that, but told her that the next few days would be bad for me. I asked if there'd be an installation available on the 23rd, and she said I could have an install on the 28th, for any time of the day that I wanted.

Then I asked her about the cablecards, told her I'd need two, and would it be a problem installing with a TiVo? She said she'd make sure that the install tech brought enough cards to make sure I was working on both tuners, and that they wouldn't leave my apartment until everything was working correctly.

So, in less than an hour, I got everything squared away. It really sucks that I couldn't just have gotten that done with the regular CSR line, though.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #1977
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Well, I wrote to the president of the North Texas division for TWC.

I got a reply within 5 minutes, and he was very apologetic. He admitted that they install cablecards in TiVo's all the time, and that he was disappointed in the experience I'd had. He's going to work on getting it fixed for me ASAP.

So hey, if they can get this sorted out, I might be giving major props to them. I'm already impressed with how quickly they wrote back.
HE probably feels the heat from FCC complaints a bit more. HE probably realizes that the song and dance they do to try and get you to back down on CCs isn't going to work on you. But until they ALL get spanked by the FCC for this crap (like the IXCs did for slamming back in the late 80's or was it early 90's) they'll keep trying to FUD you into not using cable cards/TiVos...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #1978
Zaph32

I was really impressed with the VP's response (and the various people he tasked with resolving my issue.)

The capability exists for this process to be smooth, but there are a couple things that need fixing:

1. We should be able to specify that we want MCards.
2. The installers need to be trained on:
A. The vital and critical importance of getting all the numbers right
B. The testing process to ensure things are right. That is, test HD channels like 755 on both tuners AND test digital channels like 120 on both tuners.
3. The reps need to be trained (and perhaps their phone system enhanced) to allow for sending the "CCInit" zaps. They should be able to see and correct all the various numbers for each card.

In a perfect world, the experience would be:

1. Order your M Cards, receive them by mail or pick them up
2. Enter all the numbers yourself using a phone system or webpage.

It works for DirecTV. It works for Tivo. It should work here also.

The reason they insist on the truck roll is because of the "high failure rate" of these cards. In my experience, the failure is user (installer) error.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #1979
kitchenboy

Angry TWC in Los Angeles - Cablecard shortage

Just got my new Tivo Series 3 - called Time Warner on Sunday to come pick up their POS DVR and bring me 1 M card or 2 regular cards - also wanted to have them check the cable in my living room because of pixelation errors on some HD channels.

Installer came out today - had nothing on the order about Cablecards. Found an issue and replaced the cable run to my living room but no cablecards.

I called TWC and they told me they are out of cards and will not have them until September!!!!!!

Not sure why they couldn't tell me this on Sunday when I placed the order - seems really shady...
kitchenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #1980
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenboy
Not sure why they couldn't tell me this on Sunday when I placed the order - seems really shady...
Shady implies some basic level of competence that I am unwilling to attribute to TWC. It is more likely that the CSR you scheduled with had no idea and no way of knowing about the shortage.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote