TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #1891
Tallguy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
The new 8.1.7b update appears to fix the pixelization issues with Scientific Atlanta CableCards in the second slot. It will download the next time you connect to the Tivo service.

Good to see that Tivo got those issues resolved so quickly.
I can confirm this as well. Hopefully this will no longer be an issue.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #1892
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefer37
So we just switched from DirecTV to Time Warner here in Raleigh-Durham. We have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR in the living room and my wife and I can't stand it. It locks up. It misses recordings. It's unresponsive and it's just clunky.

Is it "safe" in Raleigh Durham to call Time Warner and order two of the cable cards and pick up the new HD TiVo?
Come on in... the water is fine. My install was in September and was probably one of if not the first S3 for Raleigh. It took several hours but was successful.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #1893
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph005

I get some digital channels (200 through the upper 500's), the local HD channels, but nothing in the normal analog range (2-99) or any other HD stuff. He says that the card will take some time to completely authorize, and that my channels will start to show up in small blocks over a period of time.

I honestly don't know if I should believe him, but I agree to accept the card install as-is. If by tomorrow I still don't have all channels, I'll call in and try to see if it's something they can fix remotely (without needing a new card).

So far, the channels I do receive are looking good. I have no technical issues so far, but it's only been a few hours.
The suspense is killing me! Are the rest of your channels there???

Also, what kind of M-Card did you get? SA or Motorola?

My TW appt is set for Monday morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #1894
mph005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
The suspense is killing me! Are the rest of your channels there???

Also, what kind of M-Card did you get? SA or Motorola?

My TW appt is set for Monday morning.
Nope, so far nothing has changed. As of now, there's tons of channels missing, and not just the SDV stuff. No HD (other than local network stations), nothing in the 2-99 range, and a few in the 100-600 range.

Got off the phone earlier with a TW tech, who was surprising knowledgeable about Tivo's and cablecards. Verified the numbers and what I was supposed to be receiving and sent another authorization, no change.

Then she began to focus on the fact that I had an MCard at all (it's a SA). She was quite adamant that TW Austin does not have MCards, and I should have 2 cards in my Tivo. She then put me on hold to ask someone. Came back and said she verified that they do have some cable boxes with MCards, but only give out SCards for Tivo's. It was her belief that this was the problem.

Who knows. I'm sure the fact that it's an MCard and "they don't use those" isn't the real issue, but what do I know.

Not giving up quite yet though. I really want to avoid taking another day off work just to wait for a tech to come around.
mph005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #1895
mihalik

Quote:
I get some digital channels (200 through the upper 500's), the local HD channels, but nothing in the normal analog range (2-99) or any other HD stuff. He says that the card will take some time to completely authorize, and that my channels will start to show up in small blocks over a period of time.
I have TW Austin, too and got a MCard installed tonight. I have the same thing with the channels not showing up. I get all the analog channels (not in the 2-99, but in the upper range) and the unencrypted HD channels. I got the same story from the installer about the blocks showing up. It has been a few hours and I've not seen an encrypted channel show up yet.

Last edited by mihalik : 08-02-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
mihalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 AM   #1896
rateaustin

Austin, TX HD Tivo cablecard install summary

Quick summary
-------------------
*2 cablecard (scard) install in Austin, TX on HD Tivo
*Install lasted from 5:00pm - 7:15pm
*Tech did not know how to install cablecards and said that he was not told he would be installing on a Tivo. I did the install for him.
*Standard channels and local HD working. DiscoveryHD and other encrypted channels not working when tech left.
*Cablecard 2 is not working as well as 1. CBS HD and KLRU do not work most of the time and are heavily pixelated at best.
*The last image shows pixelation that appears on card 1. The same channel does not tune on card 2 as shown in the first two images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbs.jpg (46.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg cbs2.jpg (74.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg pixelation.jpg (29.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by rateaustin : 08-03-2007 at 02:08 AM.
rateaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #1897
rateaustin

Timeline of install

Here is a timeline of the install of two cablecards in my HD Tivo

5:00 p.m. Tech arrived with 2 SA cablecards dated May 2006. The cards were not in mint condition visually.
5:01 p.m. Tech explained to me that I would not be able to receive any HD channels, VOD, or PPV with cablecards. He explained that the cablecard guru co-worker has only been able to get 2/100 cablecards to work. This is obviously bs...or is it?
5:05 p.m. I pointed tech to Tivo and he said that he had never done a Tivo cablecard install. He had no idea where the cards were supposed to go and was not familiar with the Tivo interface.
5:10 I printed out the PDF instructions from tivo and explained the process to the tech. He seemed relieved that I knew about the install process. The tech wrote down the card serial numbers for his paperwork.
5:15 I inserted the first card into slot 1 and the Tivo immediately recognized the card as an S-Card. The card started to install the firmware update after about 1-2 minutes and took about 5 minutes to complete (not 40-60 minutes).
5:30 Tech calls in the cablecard # and Host ID. Both numbers are in the format 0-000-000-000-000. It took 10 minutes to relay two 13 digit numbers over the phone. The tech is not talking directly to Time Warner, so it takes another 15 minutes for the person that he called to call Time Warner and repeat the process.
5:55 I inserted second card and relayed the cablecard and host id to the tech who called the number in to be relayed to Time Warner. This is the most ridiculous process that you can dream up for this.
6:15 Second card ok
6:20 Standard channels are working ok, local HD channels work expect for CBS on card 2. All HD channels experience pixelation every 15-30 seconds. It's not horrible, but I hope that it is fixed by a Tivo update. Most channels above 1600 are not working. No Discovery HD (1617) - possibly not getting encrypted channels.
6:30-7:00 Tech on the phone with dispatch attempting to close out ticket.
7:15 Tech leaves without closing ticket and suggests that I call tech support if the remaining channels do not start working by tomorrow.
rateaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #1898
cableguy763

rateaustin,
Send me a pm with your info and I will try to make everything better tomorrow. I have been about 98% successful at fixing things over the phone.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #1899
BruceShultes

Quote:
Nope, so far nothing has changed. As of now, there's tons of channels missing, and not just the SDV stuff. No HD (other than local network stations), nothing in the 2-99 range, and a few in the 100-600 range.

Then she began to focus on the fact that I had an MCard at all (it's a SA). She was quite adamant that TW Austin does not have MCards, and I should have 2 cards in my Tivo. She then put me on hold to ask someone. Came back and said she verified that they do have some cable boxes with MCards, but only give out SCards for Tivo's. It was her belief that this was the problem.

Who knows. I'm sure the fact that it's an MCard and "they don't use those" isn't the real issue, but what do I know.
As long as you can receive encrypted channels on both tuners and you only have a card in slot one, it has to be an Mcard.

As far as not receiving all your channels, in my experience and from what I have read on other threads, many TW outlets have problems assigning all your programming packages to a new card.

When I got two installed in my S3, it took multiple calls to TW before I was receiving everything on both cards.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1900
sglynn

Is there any reader of this thread who is in the Milwaukee WI area and can report on the TW experience in activating Tivo HD DVR in place of the Warner cable box? I've had extremely good luck with my SciAtHD8300 from TW, but I would jump back to Tivo (through Weaknees) in a flash if someone can tell me the experience is tolerable. Thanks in advance for any advice or recounted experience with Milwaukee TW.
sglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #1901
CaptDS9E

TWC NY customer here

Well I have to wait till this coming Thursday for the cable card installation on our 2 HD tivo's. The guy on the phone said Thursday (as in this past one), but he put the appointment for this coming Thursday so now this is a 2 week ordeal to get someone to install the cards. Best yet, we called 3 times on Thursday after no one showed up, and left our name/number for call back which is supposed to keep your spot in line for a rep. Guess when they called back. Two days later at 10 PM at night.
CaptDS9E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #1902
txagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E
TWC NY customer here

Well I have to wait till this coming Thursday for the cable card installation on our 2 HD tivo's. The guy on the phone said Thursday (as in this past one), but he put the appointment for this coming Thursday so now this is a 2 week ordeal to get someone to install the cards. Best yet, we called 3 times on Thursday after no one showed up, and left our name/number for call back which is supposed to keep your spot in line for a rep. Guess when they called back. Two days later at 10 PM at night.
Must be a really long line...
txagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #1903
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah238
Apparantly a large number of TW Austin's channels are SDV and the Tivo HD with CableCards doesnt support them.
Other folks have talked about what M-cards get you (not much in Austin since S-cards are cheap and there's nothing magic about an M-card that will give TiVo a transmitter). As for SDV, there really aren't that many switched channels yet. There's only one that I actually miss, but if you need the Spanish channels, religious/shopping channels, sports pack, ESPN2HD, nicktoons, A&E in HD, or that HD music channel, you'll be disappointed. The other switched channels are west-coast versions of premium channels, and the digital simulcast of the analog (2-99) channels. You still get the analog channels in analog, which in my experience is just as good as the digital simulcast from a TW DVR if you have good signal strength.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #1904
Tallguy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn
Is there any reader of this thread who is in the Milwaukee WI area and can report on the TW experience in activating Tivo HD DVR in place of the Warner cable box? I've had extremely good luck with my SciAtHD8300 from TW, but I would jump back to Tivo (through Weaknees) in a flash if someone can tell me the experience is tolerable. Thanks in advance for any advice or recounted experience with Milwaukee TW.
Hi SGlynn,

I am in Milwaukee (Greendale) and picked up a TivoHD last Saturday (7/28). Cablecard install was scheduled for the following morning. The contractor showed up with 2 cablecards as requested, though he did not know what he was doing. I walked him through the instructions Tivo provided and I handled the remote. All-in-all, things went pretty smoothly with TW. The big problem was severe "macroblocking" on cablecard slot 2, but this turned out to be a Tivo issue (resolved with a software update). I do receive minor pixelation from time to time, but this also appears to be an issue with Tivo (see tivolovers.com blog for more). So, I can honestly say that TW was as easy to work with as I could have hoped.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #1905
angel35

Any one IN TWNYC.Know if you can get M- cards??. I jest got a Tivo HD and would like to get a M-card.Let me know

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652

Last edited by angel35 : 08-07-2007 at 11:03 AM.
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #1906
ChrisFix

TWC Raleigh-Durham told me they had M-Cards, and then the installation supervisor called the night before the install, to say he doesn't have any. He cancels my installation and the next available install is next Monday (two weeks from my initial call), and the b*****ds at TWC want to charge $42.95 Per Card for installation for the single stream cards.

They will bring an STB to your house and install it for $18.95. What a bunch of crooks.

Last edited by ChrisFix : 08-06-2007 at 03:53 PM.
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #1907
ChrisFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Come on in... the water is fine. My install was in September and was probably one of if not the first S3 for Raleigh. It took several hours but was successful.
I'm also on TWC Raleigh-Durham. Did you get charged $42.95 per card for installation? Looking for ammo to fight them on this.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #1908
xplosivo

I just got off the phone with TWC-Raleigh and they are complete morons. I spoke with 3 different people, none of whom could tell me anything about cablecards. I finally am able to get to someone that even knows what an M-Card is and am immediately told that they aren't available. Then I am told that there is a $42.95 install charge PER CARD. (however, they were willing to waive one of those charges if I had both cards installed at the same time. Gee, thanks!)

I want to switch back to Tivo in the worst way, however, I am getting HORRIBLY gun shy about the cablecard thing. I know this is what TWC wants to have happen, but you know, it's working. Can someone in Raleigh tell me it's worth it? Is SDV something I have to worry about? Are their any issues that I need to be aware of beyond the obvious ones? Can you recommend someone at TWC-Raleigh that isn't stupid that I can speak with about this?
xplosivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #1909
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosivo
I just got off the phone with TWC-Raleigh and they are complete morons. I spoke with 3 different people, none of whom could tell me anything about cablecards. I finally am able to get to someone that even knows what an M-Card is and am immediately told that they aren't available. Then I am told that there is a $42.95 install charge PER CARD. (however, they were willing to waive one of those charges if I had both cards installed at the same time. Gee, thanks!)

I want to switch back to Tivo in the worst way, however, I am getting HORRIBLY gun shy about the cablecard thing. I know this is what TWC wants to have happen, but you know, it's working. Can someone in Raleigh tell me it's worth it? Is SDV something I have to worry about? Are their any issues that I need to be aware of beyond the obvious ones? Can you recommend someone at TWC-Raleigh that isn't stupid that I can speak with about this?
Might want to ask here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=269&pp=30

I have a series 3, but have not gotten cable cards. I believe there are a few people over there that have cable cards.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #1910
drummsticks

Milwaukee, WI TWC CableCards

Hello, I am also from the Milwaukee area and just got a TivoHD. I called TW asap to schedule the cable card installation. The woman on the phone told me that they do not support Tivo (even after I had pointed her to their website where it says they do). Even after all this discussion she was still going to allow me to schedule an installation for two cable cards in two TVs.

Did anyone need to tell them the cards were for TVs in order to get the contractor to their house? If so, does it matter what kind of TV you tell them you have? All cable cards should be the same, right?

Thanks for the help.
drummsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #1911
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Just got off of the phone with Time Warner Cincinnati technician who told me that M-Cards are only allocated for TW boxes.

Thus, I will have to use 2 S-Cards.

Is this legal under FCC rules?

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #1912
Tallguy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummsticks
Hello, I am also from the Milwaukee area and just got a TivoHD. I called TW asap to schedule the cable card installation. The woman on the phone told me that they do not support Tivo (even after I had pointed her to their website where it says they do). Even after all this discussion she was still going to allow me to schedule an installation for two cable cards in two TVs.

Did anyone need to tell them the cards were for TVs in order to get the contractor to their house? If so, does it matter what kind of TV you tell them you have? All cable cards should be the same, right?

Thanks for the help.
I believe I used the term "device." The cable cards are all the same, so if letting them believe they are for a TV gets them out there, then so be it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #1913
randymac88

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
Any one IN TWNYC.Know if you can get M- cards??. I jest got a Tivo HD and would like to get a M-card.Let me know
No, they are not available in New York City. They are supplied (and come pre-installed) in the new SA8300HDC boxes, but they are not offered to customers individually for TiVo use.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #1914
ChrisFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosivo
Can you recommend someone at TWC-Raleigh that isn't stupid that I can speak with about this?

Also completely frustrated with crappy TWC Raleigh-Durham customer service...I think you will have a very hard time finding someone there who fits your request!! They are making it as painful as possible to get CCs - $42.95 EACH to install is absurd.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #1915
drummsticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy001
I believe I used the term "device." The cable cards are all the same, so if letting them believe they are for a TV gets them out there, then so be it.
Sweet deal, thanks for the help.

I'll ask when I make the app again, but did you get an M-Card or a did you need two cards?
drummsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #1916
jbaum

Replacing Series 3 - TWC NYC

My existing Series 3 has died, I'm replacing it. Can I swap the cable cards or do I need TWC to come out again?

Jonathan
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #1917
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
Just got off of the phone with Time Warner Cincinnati technician who told me that M-Cards are only allocated for TW boxes.

Thus, I will have to use 2 S-Cards.

Is this legal under FCC rules?
It probably violates the spirit of the regulations while remaining true to the letter. I'd say if they aren't going to charge you any differently for the two cards than one that it doesn't matter. But I'm sure they want to charge you for two installs, two cards, and probably extra outlet fees.

Nothing to do but complain and watch as the FCC ignores you. They don't care.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #1918
jsmiley125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaum
My existing Series 3 has died, I'm replacing it. Can I swap the cable cards or do I need TWC to come out again?
Jonathan
You should be able to put them in your new TiVo (Slot 1 first, of course) one at a time, and have TWC un-pair and then re-pair them over the phone.

I would try not to mention to them that you've taken them out of one device and placed them in another; it might confuse them (they're easily confused) and cause them to send a technician out.

Basically you just want them to un-pair and re-pair both cards, which should not require a technician to come out at all.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #1919
Tallguy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummsticks
Sweet deal, thanks for the help.

I'll ask when I make the app again, but did you get an M-Card or a did you need two cards?
The rep I spoke with had no idea what an M-Card was. I figured it was a losing battle to try and explain but you could get someone who does know what it is, so it is definitely worth a shot!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #1920
jsmiley125

I didn't see this issue mentioned in any other threads, so I thought I'd ask about it here...

OK, so I've had my TiVo HD for one week, three days. I had the pixelation issues with CC2; they MOSTLY went away after the August 1st software update. I still get some pixelation now and then, but I have faith in TiVo...

But now, something else is bothering me more and more: when my TiVo HD is left untouched for a long time, say about 7 hours or more, my analog channels disappear. They all go black. However, my digital channels are all fine. (Except for the occasional pixelation)

I've tried changing channels up and down, inputting a different channel number, going to TiVo Central and then back out, checking diagnostics, pulling the cablecards out and then putting them back in... nothing. Only the digital channels show up.

The one thing that DOES fix the problem is restarting my TiVo. After that, everything is back to normal... until the next time I leave the TiVo alone for more than 7 hours. Poor thing just needs attention.

This has happend three times. Anyone else seen this? If I could be assured that this was indeed a hardware problem and nothing that another software update could fix then I'm more than happy to go back to Best Buy and return it. But I'd like to know if I'm alone or not.