Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #1861
Tallguy001

Sdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchueller
Are you able to access all your channels or are any mysteriously missing.

PS: Great news to hear MKE is finally out of the CC dark ages. TWC tried for months to get one to work in my parents' DLP last year and finally just blamed it on the TV (and started charging them $10/mo for the STB insted). Gotta love the monopolies!!!
Hi JoeSchueller,

From a cursory review of the channels, the only 2 that I can say are missing are ESPN2HD and Nickelodeon Pacific Feed. I did know that ESPN2HD had fallen victim to SDV, so that was not a surprise.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble with my 2nd cablecard. Most digital channels are severely pixelated. Card 1 is having no such troubles, so I suspect it could be a bad card (or the signal may be a little weak). When I get a chance I will have to call for a truck roll.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #1862
simonkodousek

There is no Nickelodeon Pacific anymore on Milwaukee's TWC. They had to get rid of it to add NickToons.

Anyway, I plan to get a Tivo HD with two CableCards.

How much did it cost you to get the CableCards installed? When I called they told me it would be $33 per card which is outrageous.

~ 56" Toshiba DLP (1080p)
~ Yamaha Receiver
~ 5.1 Polk Audio System
~ Denon DVD Player
~ Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR
~ Xbox 360 Premium
~ Harmony 659 Remote
simonkodousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 AM   #1863
Tallguy001

Milwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkodousek
There is no Nickelodeon Pacific anymore on Milwaukee's TWC. They had to get rid of it to add NickToons.

Anyway, I plan to get a Tivo HD with two CableCards.

How much did it cost you to get the CableCards installed? When I called they told me it would be $33 per card which is outrageous.
Good point. It is NickToons on 157 (I believe) that is switched. On this channel and ESPN2 HD you receive Time Warner commericals for PPV, etc.

The woman I spoke with simply quoted me $2.50 a month. Check out this FAQ and they don't mention an install charge. http://www.timewarnercable.com/milwa...Card_FAQs.html

We will see what happens when I get my bill.

As a follow-up, I am receiving some pixelation on card 1 and severe pixelation on card 2. Both cards are authorized properly, so I believe it is a signal strength issue. A truck is coming out tomorrow to take a look.
Tallguy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM   #1864
simonkodousek

$2.50 per month? I got quoted $1.75 per month for each card.

~ Yamaha Receiver
~ 5.1 Polk Audio System
~ Denon DVD Player
~ Xbox 360 Premium
~ Harmony 659 Remote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #1865
Tallguy001

Quote:
$2.50 per month? I got quoted $1.75 per month for each card.
My quote was $2.50 per card, so $5 total. Glad to see they are consistent in the same market!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #1866
jsmiley125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy001
The woman I spoke with simply quoted me $2.50 a month. Check out this FAQ and they don't mention an install charge.
I live in Columbus, Ohio, and am getting my two CableCARDs for my new TiVo HD this afternoon. Interestingly, the site for Time Warner Mid-Ohio supplies a lot more information about CableCARDs than the Milwaukee one. (Since I can't post links yet, Google Time Warner Columbus Ohio) They even tell you the installation price, and go over the features you will lose once you start using CableCARD. They even go so far as to tell you that the Switched Digital Channels will not be available.

I hope the installer is as knowledgeable as the web site...

Great, I just jinxed myself.
jsmiley125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #1867
jsmiley125

Quote:
My quote was $2.50 per card, so $5 total. Glad to see they are consistent in the same market!
Here in Columbus, I was also quoted $2.50 per card, per month. And, a $19.95 installation fee.

Last edited by jsmiley125 : 07-31-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #1868
jsmiley125

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there anywhere one can get a definitive (or semi-definitive, or not-very-definitive) list of TWC Switched Digital channels, so those of us who are going with CableCARD will know what we're losing?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #1869
JoeSchueller

Here in Cincinnati, they are promising a multi-stream card for us (I broke down and bought one last night). The install is scheduled for Friday and we were emphatic that we wanted a multi-stream card (just like the one in the POS SA8300HD). They confirmed that the rental is $2.50 for one multi-stream card.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #1870
jsmiley125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchueller
Here in Cincinnati, they are promising a multi-stream card for us (I broke down and bought one last night). The install is scheduled for Friday and we were emphatic that we wanted a multi-stream card (just like the one in the POS SA8300HD). They confirmed that the rental is $2.50 for one multi-stream card.
When I placed the service call for my CableCARDs, I thought asking for an m-card was pushing it. I figured it would just add to the confusion. If your installation goes well, then maybe I'll have them come back out and install an m-card down the road.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #1871
JoeSchueller

We'll see... the installer who put the SA8300 in was emphatic that this was the latest & greatest with the m-card in it. If nothing else the FCC's mandate caused TWC here to adopt m-cards faster so they could roll out these 8300 boxes - which are remarkable at pimping VOD/PPV.

I'll remain confident until they f it up.

Also, I sent a note to TWC yesterday asking for clarification on specifically what channels in my lineup would be unavailable with a UDCP device. Essentially, I want them to clarify "VARIES" in the chart at this address:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/Cinci...leCard_SA.html

We'll see what they say.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #1872
blah238

Hello, I'm considering a Tivo HD (already have an S2), and I'm in Austin (TW ). Does TW Austin do M-Card, and will that allow me to view SDV channels? Apparantly a large number of TW Austin's channels are SDV and the Tivo HD with CableCards doesnt support them. But with a single M-Card it will? And will be able to dual-tune? At least that is what I've gathered so far. So if that's all correct, the only question is does TW Austin do M-Card?
blah238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #1873
randymac88

So, the TWCNYC tech is here. We're working on the first card into the new TiVoHD...and having some trouble with the firmware update. It's been about 30 minutes. We've gotten to a screen that says "Please wait...Acquiring Channel Information", encouraging, but now we're stuck there for about 10 minutes. Good thing he brought *8* cards with him.

Update:

First card gave us an error, that it "couldn't receive channel info, please call your cable operator". We're assuming that means its just a bad card, and have moved on to Card Two. One down, seven to go.

Last edited by randymac88 : 07-31-2007 at 02:07 PM.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #1874
Tallguy001

Arrow Sdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah238
Hello, I'm considering a Tivo HD (already have an S2), and I'm in Austin (TW ). Does TW Austin do M-Card, and will that allow me to view SDV channels?
The multistream card will allow you to use two tuners with the one card, but I do not believe it will allow you to view SDV.
Tallguy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #1875
randymac88

Update: The TWCNYC tech is gone. Failure. Apparently, after a few tries and finally calling in to dispatch to ask for help, it came out that only the cards dated 6/11/06 or later would work. Of the eight cards that he brought, only one was dated 6/11/06, and we couldn't get it to work. To make matters worse, we had to reschedule for a week from saturday for them to come out with new 6/11/06+ cards.

The clock is ticking on my ability to return this box and get out of my service contract, and right now I'm not feeling overly confident in TWC's ability to get this thing running.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #1876
ChrisFix

Just got a TiVo HD, and called TWC in Raleigh-Durham.

After on hour, they don't know how to order a cable card without charging an additional $8.95 per card, which is the price for a Digital STB and Additional Digital Tier charge
(broken down on my bill as $7.95 for Digital STB and $1 for Add'l Digital Tier (an "outlet" charge).

The Cable Card is $1.75/month, so they want to charge me both the $8.95 Plus $1.75 per month per card ($10.91/month/card with taxes). So I will have to pay more for a CC than I do for an STB, and I don't even get an STB...that's a great deal!!

All logic tells me that I should pay $1.75/card plus $1/card or "outlet" for Add'l Digital Tier. Anyone else here have this experience or know what to tell them to get a Cable Card at a sane price?

Update:
TWC called me back...they were ordering the card as though I had no other services (even though I have 2 HD DVRs and a Digital STB). They're now telling me it is $1.75/month and NO outlet fee for Digital Tier because I won't be able to receive VoD (I'll have to wait and see if that ends up being correct).

They did take off $20 from the $42.95 install charge...so I guess that's something.

Last edited by ChrisFix : 07-31-2007 at 05:20 PM.
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #1877
jsmiley125

Got both CableCARDs working correctly (sort of; see below) in my TiVo HD here in Columbus, Ohio.

So far, the only major issue I have is that a number of the higher digital/HD channels on CableCARD 2 are extremely pixelated. To the point that the channels are not viewable. It doesn't bother me that much since I don't watch much on most of those channels. I did a check of the diagnostics for both cards on one of the channels in question and I couldn't really find any differences between the two, except that at one point card 1 showed 107 for RS Uncorrected, while all other times both cards showed 0. (Of course, I have NO IDEA what that means.) Card 2 shows "Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs" next to PowerKey status. Card 1 shows "Ready" for PowerKey Status. I'll have to look up what that means...

I don't seem to be missing any channels due to SDV. I am of course missing VOD and PPV, but that was expected.

During activation of CableCARD 1, after TWC sent the "hit" the TiVo suddenly stopped being able to display video. The interface screens and menus still worked (it showed programs in Now Playing, and continued to show CableCARD menus and diagnostics) but if I tried to play a recorded program or watch live TV, I got nothing but a blank screen. A restart of the TiVo fixed that. It could have been complete coincidence since a couple days ago the same thing happened and I wasn't doing anything with the CableCARD slots. After the restart card 1 activated and we went on to card 2. No problems with card 2 activation.

I've heard of the cards working fine (except for pixelation) for some people, and then suddenly one day they lose activation. We'll see how smooth things go, and hopefully I can find a resolution to the pixelated channels on card 2.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #1878
mshaw

TW in Dallas?

Anyone have any experience getting a S3 added to an existing TW account in the Dallas area?

All these horror stories are making me think I ought to wait a little while before upgrading.... Any info appreciated.

Thanks.
mshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #1879
Tallguy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiley125
I've heard of the cards working fine (except for pixelation) for some people, and then suddenly one day they lose activation. We'll see how smooth things go, and hopefully I can find a resolution to the pixelated channels on card 2.
I am now starting to think the pixelation problem is with the Tivo and not Time Warner. They have tried several more cards in slot 2, checked my signal, and I added an amp, all to no avail. I am quickly running out of ideas. My Scientific Atlanta cablecards have dates of December 2006, so they seem pretty new.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #1880
jsmiley125

Quote:
I am now starting to think the pixelation problem is with the Tivo and not Time Warner.
I totally agree. I haven't even gone through all that stuff yet, but from the troubleshooting I've done, I was able to duplicate the pixelation problem with the first CC in slot 1 if I setup slot 1 AFTER slot 2. I know you're not supposed to, but I did it anyway, and lo, same problem. CC 2 worked fine then. Seems it's whatever CC is setup 2nd. So that seems to indicate a TiVo box problem.

Call me naive, but I'm still hopeful TiVo can produce a software update to fix this, or at least acknowledge the problem since SO MANY people have reported the exact same thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #1881
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Here in Columbus, I was also quoted $2.50 per card, per month. And, a $19.95 installation fee.

Yes that is what it was when I got my Series 3 installed in early January. Although back then the cards were $1.75 a month I think.

If you have any issues with your Time Warner Columbus Cable Card install send me a PM.

Also check out hdcolumbus.net if you haven't already.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #1882
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there anywhere one can get a definitive (or semi-definitive, or not-very-definitive) list of TWC Switched Digital channels, so those of us who are going with CableCARD will know what we're losing?
As far as I know, Time Warner Columbus hasn't said what channels are going SDV yet. But it is coming.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #1883
keefer37

So we just switched from DirecTV to Time Warner here in Raleigh-Durham. We have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR in the living room and my wife and I can't stand it. It locks up. It misses recordings. It's unresponsive and it's just clunky.

Is it "safe" in Raleigh Durham to call Time Warner and order two of the cable cards and pick up the new HD TiVo?

TiVo Series 2 DT: Stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keefer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #1884
esfb8zs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefer37
So we just switched from DirecTV to Time Warner here in Raleigh-Durham. We have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR in the living room and my wife and I can't stand it. It locks up. It misses recordings. It's unresponsive and it's just clunky.

Is it "safe" in Raleigh Durham to call Time Warner and order two of the cable cards and pick up the new HD TiVo?
I just bought a Tivo HD from Circuit City in Apex, using a $40 off coupon for $218. I already had an install scheduled from Time Warner installing a HD DVR (theirs) today, and wanted to try it before I decided on the Tivo. I won't open the HD tivo yet, I'd like to see how the TWC DVR works... But after all these years of using Directv Tivos, I know I won't like it.

I'd also be curious to see how some Raleigh cable card installs go if anyone has any experience.
esfb8zs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #1885
simonkodousek

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfb8zs
I just bought a Tivo HD from Circuit City in Apex, using a $40 off coupon for $218. I already had an install scheduled from Time Warner installing a HD DVR (theirs) today, and wanted to try it before I decided on the Tivo. I won't open the HD tivo yet, I'd like to see how the TWC DVR works... But after all these years of using Directv Tivos, I know I won't like it.

I'd also be curious to see how some Raleigh cable card installs go if anyone has any experience.
Trust me, if you have used TiVo's, you will not like Time Warner's DVR service.

~ Yamaha Receiver
~ 5.1 Polk Audio System
~ Denon DVD Player
~ Xbox 360 Premium
~ Harmony 659 Remote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #1886
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Trust me, if you have used TiVo's, you will not like Time Warner's DVR service.
+1000

I hope to be a TiVo HD owner soon.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #1887
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefer37
I have a Series 3 and TWC. I didn't get CableCards for it, but I know at least one person on this board from this area has with no problems. One thing to keep in mind. TWC will not provide the digital simulcast of the analog channels below 100 to CableCard users because the are planning on moving those to SDV at some point in the future. So if you watch a great deal on 1-99 be prepared for a drop in quality. The analog signal from TWC is quite good, but it definitely isn't digital.

Because of that and the fact that I can get all the HD network stuff with an OTA antenna, I dropped back to standard cable when I got the S3.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #1888
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

How many people have the option of an M-Card like TW Cincy provides? Wouldn't this solve the slot 2 pixelization issues?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #1889
mph005

Well, might as well post my experience with TivoHD and TWC Austin.

Got a Tivo HD Monday evening. Called time warner as soon as I got home (and sat on hold for an hour, but somehow I expected this). Rep I spoke with knew what I wanted (even knew I wanted 2 cablecards before I even said so), and setup for Wednesday morning, got an 8-12 timeslot.

8am came and 12pm went, no tech, no phone call. Called back in, and was told the tech was running late (yeah, I figured that one on my own), and he'll call me right back and let me know how long it will be. Hour later and no call, I had to get to work.

Called TWC back at my office, and asked if the tech could come back later this evening when I'll be home (and got my $20 "on time guarantee" credit). This went on for a while, but the end result was I had the tech (himself) agree to come later tonight.

So he shows up, and has 2 cards with him. Immediately says he's only handled cablecards once before, and not on a Tivo. I assure him this should be a painless process and we approach the Tivo.

He places both cards in at the same time, I cringe. But, before I can say anything, I see the Tivo has detected a M-Card in slot 1 and an S-Card in slot 2. Awesome!

I explain the whole M-Card vs S-Card, and he (sorta reluctantly) agrees with me that I only need the 1 card, and removes the S-Card.

Right about here the Tivo CableCard diag screen shows that the CableCard is receiving a firmware update, and this takes a few minutes.

He calls TWC, and asks whoever answers what he's supposed to do next. He reads the numbers, and we wait.

After a few minutes, the M-Card is now reading Authorized. I begin to test channels.

I get some digital channels (200 through the upper 500's), the local HD channels, but nothing in the normal analog range (2-99) or any other HD stuff. He says that the card will take some time to completely authorize, and that my channels will start to show up in small blocks over a period of time.

I honestly don't know if I should believe him, but I agree to accept the card install as-is. If by tomorrow I still don't have all channels, I'll call in and try to see if it's something they can fix remotely (without needing a new card).

So far, the channels I do receive are looking good. I have no technical issues so far, but it's only been a few hours.

Plus, as I was heading off to bed, I forced a call and my Tivo just got an update, 8.1.7b. I have no idea what this fixed.
mph005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #1890
bkdtv

The new 8.1.7b update appears to fix the pixelization issues with Scientific Atlanta CableCards in the second slot. It will download the next time you connect to the Tivo service.

Good to see that Tivo got those issues resolved so quickly.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote