TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #1801
ScratchFury

Until the Series3, CableCARDs were only seen in high end HDTV sets. CableCARDs are used to decrypt digital channels. Until today, July 2nd, cable companies used their own proprietary cable boxes to do the same function. All new boxes from the cable companies will have CableCARDs in them. It's not a new technology really. It was just a technology not used heavily until the Series3 came out, thus the lack of experience with installation by the cable techs.
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #1802
jallison86

TW SoCal saga continues

Bringing my story to a close (hopefully). TW came out for the third time today and got both cards working. At least for the moment my S3 is fully operational.

As others have said, it does seem a bit of luck of the draw. If you happen to get good cards, it works. If you get flaky cards, you're in trouble.
jallison86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #1803
cab2

so, does anyone think that now that the new FCC mandate is in place, and all new cable boxes will have cable cards...... that the performance, knowledge of techs, functionality of cable cards will get better? Lucky for me, my S3 install was relatively painless and only needed one visit by the cable tech, but that visit was about 3 hours long. I'm crossing my fingers that my cards stay working well, but all these issues being reported make me wonder. My hope is that now that the mandate is in place, the cable companies are going to at least have to learn how to properly install, configure, and use the cable cards? Or am I just dreaming?

cab
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #1804
ScratchFury

cab, I think it well help. The guy that fixed my S3 said he wished they had an S3 in the shop or anything that had a CableCARD so he could test the cards to see if they worked at all. He couldn't even say that the cards worked when he left the office because they are just programmed, not tested.
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #1805
Joey Bagadonuts

Interesting article about CableCards I just stumbled across here.

I am specifically interested in this paragraph: CableCards have been around for a few years now, but so far the cable industry has managed to ignore them to death (as Mike Musgrove reported in this 2005 story). Some HDTVs have included CableCard slots, but buyers have repeatedly told me of problems getting CableCards from their local service providers. For instance, the cable operator won't even tell customers about it, and instead, spends time trying to upsell customers on renting a traditional box, or sends a cable technician to plug in the card who then says he can't get it to work.
It sure sounds like the author is accusing cable companies of instructing their installers to purposely mislead customers by telling them they can't get the cable cards to work which prompts the obvious question; does he have any solid proof to support such a serious accusation?
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #1806
dbhuber

This is my first post on this site, but after all the horror stories of cable cards and S3 installation, I wanted to say that I just had a completely pain-free experience with Time Warner in LA.

They came on Tues, 7/3 (on time, by the way) to install the 2 cable cards in my new S3 plus a standard cable box on another (non-HD) tv. The technician knew what cable cards were, new what Tivo was, knew exactly how to set everything up (he knew the Tivo menus, what info he needed to call in, etc). Both cards worked on the first try. The whole process took a couple hours, maybe 2.5 hrs, but a lot of that included work outside to bring the cable to the house (I was switching from DirecTV).

I had heard from another friend of mine that Time Warner now has enough experience with Tivo S3 that they seem to have their act together, and my experience makes me think this is absolutely true.
dbhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #1807
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts
Interesting article about CableCards I just stumbled across here.

I am specifically interested in this paragraph: CableCards have been around for a few years now, but so far the cable industry has managed to ignore them to death (as Mike Musgrove reported in this 2005 story). Some HDTVs have included CableCard slots, but buyers have repeatedly told me of problems getting CableCards from their local service providers. For instance, the cable operator won't even tell customers about it, and instead, spends time trying to upsell customers on renting a traditional box, or sends a cable technician to plug in the card who then says he can't get it to work.
It sure sounds like the author is accusing cable companies of instructing their installers to purposely mislead customers by telling them they can't get the cable cards to work which prompts the obvious question; does he have any solid proof to support such a serious accusation?
I had a contratcor come out to do some cable work. He flat out told me that TWC was canning cable cards and going to stop using them..
I mentioned the FCC rule that actually they would have to start using the cards. He dropped that approach and further discussion showed that he knew all about the FCC rule.
In short he lied directly to me in my own home to discourage cable card use
I have a neighbor trying to get a cable card TV going. They have in 5 weeks so far tried one cable card that did not work and are now dithering about signal to the house.

you tell me if this sounds like misdirection or not.

PS this was all TWC in my area.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #1808
cokyq

That is good news dbhuber. Glad it worked out so well for you.

Today ATT just activated my DSL service, and in the next few days will be contacting TWC to cancel my subscription. For now, it will be over the air tv for me!
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #1809
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhuber
This is my first post on this site, but after all the horror stories of cable cards and S3 installation, I wanted to say that I just had a completely pain-free experience with Time Warner in LA.
Just curious if by LA you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles? Thanks.

Joe
Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #1810
dbhuber

Oops, meant Los Angeles, not Louisiana...
dbhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #1811
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhuber
Oops, meant Los Angeles, not Louisiana...
OK, that's actually good news for me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #1812
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

I had a TW tech here today on a signal strength matter and I asked him about the FCC regulation. He said that TW is putting them into all DVR boxes that are being ordered.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #1813
sstewa22

My cable card saga: called TW (Huntington Beach, CA) to get two cable cards for new S3 box, said it would be a 29.95 trip charge and that the S3 was supported. Cable guy gets here and almost goes ballistic when he finds out it's a Tivo. Says the customer service department doesn't know what they are talking about and grumbles about having to do this the whole time he is here. Finally gets 1 of the two cable cards to work. Says I can go to the cable store to get the other one. I go to the cable store and they say the installer is crazy, they don't carry the cc and set me up for another appt. Two guys come out for the second install and get the 2nd cc working. In the meantime, I didn't know about not getting certain channels on the cc, or that mrv and ttg doesn't work. I hope the new interactive cc coming out will do all this? Or, is it something Tivo has to support? It seems I lost a lot of features by switching to the cable cards.

I haven't seen the bill yet, they said it would be 1.75 per cc when I asked them the first time, but when I went to the office and asked, they said it was going to be 1.75 plus a 2.75 programming fee.

The whole time this was going on I was being told that cc don't work and I should be getting TW's dvr box.

Sherril
sstewa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #1814
cokyq

I called ATT and am having DSL installed at home, so I can call TWC and tell them to keep their cable/internet service. I am going to watch OTA TV for now.
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Old 07-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #1815
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewa22
My cable card saga: called TW (Huntington Beach, CA) to get two cable cards for new S3 box, said it would be a 29.95 trip charge and that the S3 was supported. Cable guy gets here and almost goes ballistic when he finds out it's a Tivo. Says the customer service department doesn't know what they are talking about and grumbles about having to do this the whole time he is here. Finally gets 1 of the two cable cards to work. Says I can go to the cable store to get the other one. I go to the cable store and they say the installer is crazy, they don't carry the cc and set me up for another appt. Two guys come out for the second install and get the 2nd cc working. In the meantime, I didn't know about not getting certain channels on the cc, or that mrv and ttg doesn't work. I hope the new interactive cc coming out will do all this? Or, is it something Tivo has to support? It seems I lost a lot of features by switching to the cable cards.

I haven't seen the bill yet, they said it would be 1.75 per cc when I asked them the first time, but when I went to the office and asked, they said it was going to be 1.75 plus a 2.75 programming fee.

The whole time this was going on I was being told that cc don't work and I should be getting TW's dvr box.

Sherril
Tell you what, if I were the management team at TiVo, I'd be pissed about stories like this and articles like the one I posted. It seems pretty obvious Time Warner Cable is doing everything within their power to make the installation of CableCards as cumbersome as possible for S3 owners. Also, I can't speak for other TiVo owners but it's stories like Sherril's that are keeping me from purchasing an S3.

Joey B
Anaheim CA
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #1816
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts
Tell you what, if I were the management team at TiVo, I'd be pissed about stories like this and articles like the one I posted. It seems pretty obvious Time Warner Cable is doing everything within their power to make the installation of CableCards as cumbersome as possible for S3 owners. Also, I can't speak for other TiVo owners but it's stories like Sherril's that are keeping me from purchasing an S3.

Joey B
Anaheim CA
My TWC experience has been quite the opposite. They have been very supportive of me with my issues. They loaned me a pair of cablecards for my replacement unit to test it out without disturbing my existing unit. They loaned me another cablecard to put in my TV to see if it exhibited the same behavior. Supervisors have given me their email addresses, the cablecard guru has given me his direct phone number. I couldnt be happier with their support (if only they could help fix the pixelation issues).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #1817
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
My TWC experience has been quite the opposite. They have been very supportive of me with my issues. They loaned me a pair of cablecards for my replacement unit to test it out without disturbing my existing unit. They loaned me another cablecard to put in my TV to see if it exhibited the same behavior. Supervisors have given me their email addresses, the cablecard guru has given me his direct phone number. I couldnt be happier with their support (if only they could help fix the pixelation issues).
Yeah, from the variety of responses in this forum, it sounds like it's just the luck of the draw with regard to what kind of experience one has with the CableCard installation. I can't help but think it's a bit suspicious however, when first a columnist insinuates that TWC purposely has their installers feign problems with a cc install and then we have people here reporting that very same experience (it's difficult to prove the "feigning" part but when something looks and quacks like a duck...). At the very least, given Sherril's post, it's extremely unprofessional for a TWC installer to try and coerce a customer into switching from a TiVo DVR to one of their own.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #1818
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewa22
In the meantime, I didn't know about not getting certain channels on the cc, or that mrv and ttg doesn't work. I hope the new interactive cc coming out will do all this? Or, is it something Tivo has to support? It seems I lost a lot of features by switching to the cable cards.
Either lots more people are taking advantage of the new cheap S3 pricing, or put too much faith in the TiVo name, since I've been reading a bunch of posts like this lately from people that haven't read any of the FAQs or much of this particular thread before posting. To their credit, this thread is now over 70 pages so I don't really expect people to read the whole thing, but at this point, I don't really see why people post in this thread complaining about things that have been rehashed over and over. I suppose there's some value in knowing that people are still getting the runaround from TW (and other providers) about CC's, but it's TW that needs to hear these stories so they can educate their CSRs and techs about the reality of cablecards.... they work fine within their limitations once set up, but SDV is pissing people off almost as much as when ignorant CSRs or techs claim CC's don't work on a TiVo, or that not getting channels that should work (not SDV) is NOT normal and requires the cableco to correctly configure and deploy their cablecards.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #1819
JPALMETTO

Help!

Well, I shoul have known from reading this long thread TW would screw this up.

Yeah, they showed up on time but installer was a subcontractor that had never installed a CC?WTF?? I had done enough research on here to make some good suggestions (get the headend involved) and the first card installed fairly smoothly. The 2nd card was bad and had to go to office and got their last 2. One of those finally worked with help from the headend. Anyway this took 5 HOURS!

Problem- None of the music channels come in (301-342). All the rest of the channels seem to be working fine on both cards. When you tune to one of these channels it tunes in for about 2 seconds and then goes to the cable card menu page. The headend said all was correct and I must have a bad box but I think it is something with the headend as they had to work their "voodoo" for the other channels to work. Can Someone please tell me if this has been seen before?
JPALMETTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #1820
Joey Bagadonuts

Just curious JPALMETTO, what area do you live in?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #1821
JPALMETTO

Sumter, SC

Sumter, SC
Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #1822
aymanme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPALMETTO
Anyway this took 5 HOURS!
And you are complaining? Many TW S3 CC installs seem to be measured in days.
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #1823
JPALMETTO

Yeah they don't seem to think we have anything better to do than to spend "quality time" w/them
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #1824
davewall

I've been using an S3 with TW West Valley (Los Angeles) cablecards since January with few problems, until now.

My ESPN-HD channel had stopped working, so a tech came out today. He told me that TW has decided that it will no longer provide ESPN-HD to customers that don't use a TW HD-DVR!! I'll call TW tomorrow to verify that story, but has anyone else heard of anything like this???
davewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #1825
cokyq

I wonder how many S3 cablecard installations go smoothly? It seems that only those that do not go well and those savy enough to post on internet boards are the ones that complaint!

My original cablecard installation was not smooth and took more than 1 week, several trips and several cards before it was actually working. After one year with TWC, and 6 months since my S3 purchase, because of my dissatisfaction with TWC I chose to drop cable tv all together and just rely on over the air.
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800

Last edited by cokyq : 07-12-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #1826
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewall
I've been using an S3 with TW West Valley (Los Angeles) cablecards since January with few problems, until now.

My ESPN-HD channel had stopped working, so a tech came out today. He told me that TW has decided that it will no longer provide ESPN-HD to customers that don't use a TW HD-DVR!! I'll call TW tomorrow to verify that story, but has anyone else heard of anything like this???

TWC in Los Angeles here too.

The tech *may* have been suggesting that ESPN-HD was moved to be broadcast over SDV (Switched Digital channels), a technology that squeezes more content over the pipes, that the S3 can't handle (but the TW HD-DVR can.)

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...cablecard.html

That's been the biggest concern for many S3 owners. Some markets are really affected by this, and S3 owners can't get all channels. So far, as far as I know, this hasn't affected Los Angeles. I have yet to come across any missing channels or mention of SDV wreaking havoc over here.

Sure enough, I just tested channels 424 (ESPN HD) and 425 (ESPN2 HD) and get them both.

It seems like there's not only a problem with the tech and incompatibilities, but so much misinformation and ignorance. Time Warner reps don't even know what we're *supposed* to be receiving...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #1827
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPALMETTO
Sumter, SC
Thanks. I guess I could've just looked at the info under your user name a little more closely.

Joe
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #1828
pashasurf7873

Please Give Me Advise!!

I live in Hawaii, am with Time Warner Cable and was wondering if any Time Warner Cable customers have heard of this in the Mainland?

Here is a breakdown of the CableCard charges:

>Duplicate Service Charge: $8.00 a month per card
>HD Entertainment Package: $6.95 a month per card
>Total: $14.95 for each CableCard!!!!!

The CableCards are $3.10 each with no premium programming on them. To
receive the Digital Cable Service on the cards, the Duplicate Service
Fee of $8.00 would apply instead of the $3.10 card charge. The HD package is not included in the duplicate service fee. It is charged per card.
So in Hawaii it costs $29.90 per month just to enable the use of my beloved TIVO S3.
When I called and then emailed to complain this is the response I got:

Aloha!

1. as I stated previously, the Duplicate service charge does not include
the HD Entertainment Package. The Duplicate service charge only includes
the equipment rental fee, digital cable service, and any premium movie
channels in your subscription. Each device that is receiving the HD
Entertainment Package is billed for that package.

2. Yes, we are aware of the current limitations of the technology. You
can install a single CableCard in your Tivo and only record one channel
at a time.

3. The CableCards are billed for each device, each CableCard is a
separate device. You could obtain the HD DVR without the duplicate
service charge, however you would still be billed for the HD
Entertainment package which is required to have any HD cable box.

You could also rent the CableCards for $3.10 each, however they would
only be able to receive the Standard Cable Service. They would not
receive the authorization to receive the HD Entertainment Package, the
Digital Cable Package, nor the HBO or Showtime.

4. Because that is how the company decided to do the billing.

5. Everything is NOT going HD. That is a common misconception. HD and
Digital are two very different things. The FCC is only requiring a
change to Digital, not HD.

6. I am sorry, but it does not appear the same from our point of view.
We bill per device that receives premium programming in the home. If you
TiVo requires 2 of those devices then the account should be charged for
each one.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at the appropriate number below.
When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as all
previous correspondence regarding this issue.

Cable TV or Internet:
Billing: 643-2100
Sales: 643-2337
Repair: 643-2300

Thank you,
Nick S.
Oceanic Time Warner Cable
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #1829
nharmon91

Well I am having them installed right now, but he clearly doesn't know what he is doing. He called in to activate them but never paired them so I just have a blank screen at the moment.
nharmon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #1830
jrj130

TWC tech says no cablecards will work with S3

I'm in New York City -- I just moved from a building served by RCN (who handled a cablecard install with no problems) to a building served by TWC. After four days, 6 different cable cards, four visits from technicians, and eight calls to customer service, the latest tech is now telling me that the latest firmware upgrade doesn't work with any Series3 Tivos, and there's nothing anyone can do -- none of their cablecards will work with the S3. How on earth can this be? Is Scientific Atlanta just sending out defective cards and no one cares?
jrj130 is offline   Reply With Quote