TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #1771
energizerfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Sounds like they need to send some more hits. What city?
San Antonio, TX.

I've had hits sent to most all of them and some will increment the KSE count when hit, maybe even ECM going up a couple, but I've never seen any card other than the initial one with a EMM count other than zero.

Interestingly, the second card in there now is showing a EID of 0x0, which is a change.

Also, I'm getting a different program number for the cards. Is this normal?
energizerfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #1772
pmiranda

Program count changes if you change channels.
From time to time, I even see ECM and EMM go back to 0, perhaps when a tuner is inactive?

An example of what I'm seeing on a working cablecard at the moment:
Auth Status CP Auth Received
Prog Number 28
CCI Byte 0x00
ECM count 4787
EMM count 0
Decryption Status OK
PowerKey Status Ready
EID 0x28
MKS period 100 seconds
KSE count 0

Here in Austin When I first got my S3 and later when I had some problems, I had to play CSR roulette for a few rounds to get a rep that knew enough to figure out what was wrong at the head-end and send the right hit. Still, I did have one cablecard go bad after a few months and no hits would fix it, so I went through two rounds of truck rolls to get a replacement that worked. That was a few months ago and everything seems to be running fine.

All I can tell you is keep trying and good luck. I've probably sunk at least 10-12 hours into service calls and waiting on hold to get my S3 going and later dealing with two failures, but it's been nearly a year since I got it and it's been rock solid otherwise. If TW-Austin didn't have SDV it'd be perfect.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #1773
ScratchFury

I am finally up on both CableCARDs! I have TimeWarner in the Summerville, SC area. I had the original cards installed back in November, I believe. One card worked, but they couldn't never get a second card to work. The troubleshooting has been going on for months since getting time to be home was tough with work and all. Since I have no job at the moment, I finally had the chance to be at home.

Yesterday we took out both cards and were able to get a different card to work after first trying another "new" card. We noticed that after the card was paired, the EMM count quickly shot up to 43. We tried to get the second "new" card to work, but it would not go past 2 on the EMM count and the EID was 0xffffffff for all digital and HD tier channels. The tech could not give me back the original working card because it was removed from the account and could not be placed back on until it had been checked in at the office and reprovisioned. Today he came with a new card since he was unable to bring back the other working card, and we got the EMM count of 2 and EID of 0xffffffff for the channels. He was given the advice to call the head office in Columbia, SC, so he did. He talked with a tech there, and they decided to try to get the EMM count higher. The tech at the head office got the EMM count to 39 and all the channels started decoding. The EID was now 0xe, at least for the channel we were testing. The local tech talked with the head end tech, and it sounded like the EMM hits the head end tech was generating were different than what the local office could do since the head end tech was doing it from the equipment directly. So that little bit of info might help someone else. So at this point, I really think the other 6 cards that we tried probably would have worked had the EMM count been raised to the 39+ range. I can't believe I can now record 2 digital channels at once!

One thing I did notice though, is that even without the digital cards in, I was able to get the local stations in HD through the cable. They were not OTA as I had no antenna hooked up and the stations were in the 800 range.
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #1774
rmryan

Successful install TWCNY

That's Central New York, not New York City... I'm in Cortland, about 30 miles south of Syracuse.

My installer showed up last Friday near the beginning of the installation window (a pleasant surprise). He had done some cable cards before, but had definitely not seen a TiVo. He didn't let it faze him, however, but happily accepted the TiVo instructions (another pleasant surprise) and went to work.

Initially I was missing the HD tier I recently added (HDNET, UHD, MOJO, etc.) A second phone call (where he seemed to get a more knowledgeable rep) revealed that the first rep simply hadn't authorized that on the cards. He did so, and I was set. Yesterday I returned my SA 8300HD (good riddance) and did a clear & wipe on both my Series 2 and an old Philips Series 1 I still have around.

My only concerns so far:

1. I don't appear to be getting the digital simulcast on all of the analog stations that a digital equivalent is offered for. Food Network is on channel 45, and should also be on 1914 (at least it was on the 8300HD) in digital. When I tune 45 on the S3, I most definitely get the analog channel (quality is bad and I get recording quality options) and I can't tune 1914 at all. Up in the 1900's I appear to get every other station (1911 but not 1912, 1913 but not 1914 etc.) When the installer pointed this out to the rep on the phone, he said that the stations up in the 1900 range were for "testing" purposes and he didn't think I could get them on a cablecard anyway. I don't think this is correct, and I would like to get it fixed if anybody knows what the deal is. Those stations are not on our channel list handout, so it's not like I could claim I'm not getting what I'm paying for.

2. Cable card 2 has reinitialized twice (that I know of) since the install. It acts like I pulled it out and put it back in. The insertion screen comes up and says to call the cable company to get it authorized, but within a few minutes it's back on and I'm getting everything I should. I may just pull that one and reinsert it firmly, possibly it's just not inserted all the way.

All in all I'm quite happy. The HD picture is great, comparable to the 8300 and I finally have my TiVo and my HD in the same box. Awesome. Now for an external hard drive. I would like to get the digital simulcast of the Food Network, though....
rmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #1775
ScratchFury

rmryan, sounds like Cable card 2 isn't pair correctly. If it say "Waiting for CP Auth" all the time instead of "CP Auth Received" it wasn't paired correctly. Also, you might not get some of the 1900's if they are being broadcast using SDV. If they are test channels, that might be the case.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #1776
rmryan

ScratchFury: Thanks, I'm showing "CP Auth Received" on both cards. And the only stations that TWCNY claims are SDV are ESPN2-HD and A&E-HD. I would think they'd have to reveal that cablecard customers can't get digital equivalents.
rmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #1777
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmryan
2. Cable card 2 has reinitialized twice (that I know of) since the install. It acts like I pulled it out and put it back in. The insertion screen comes up and says to call the cable company to get it authorized, but within a few minutes it's back on and I'm getting everything I should. I may just pull that one and reinsert it firmly, possibly it's just not inserted all the way.
Yeah that happens to me too. I'm watching recorded TV and up pops the black and grey screen. But it doesn't take a few minutes to recover; I can immediately watch TV on both cablecards. It's not too annoying because it happens very rarely.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #1778
pmiranda

Once in a while (maybe once a month?) the cablecard auth screen pops up out of the blue but both tuners keep recording without missing a beat. It used to worry me but now I just hit exit and go on my merry way.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #1779
laurawali

Are the "cablecard" things you guys keep talking about an HD thing?? I have series 2 and can't get sound on any channels above 99, described my full problem here but still searching all the threads trying to figure out what the problem is until someone responds. Perhpas I need a cablecard??
laurawali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #1780
BruceShultes

AFIK, the only Tivo box using cablecards at this time is the S3.

On every cable company that I have heard of all channels above 99 are digital.

An S2 is not capable of receiving digital channels directly.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #1781
ScratchFury

CableCARDs only work with the Series3, as there are slots for them. The CableCARDs decode the signal for encrypted and/or digital channels. With the Series2, the cable box does same thing as far as decoding channels which usually run in the 100+ range. The video signal is passed from the cable box to the Tivo Series2 just like if you hooked the cable box to a regular VCR.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #1782
jallison86

TW SoCal

Figured I'd post my experiences to this thread, although the saga is still ongoing.

At first all looked pretty good. After getting my S3 I called TimeWarner and asked for two cable cards. The person on the phone did know what I was talking about. She tried to sell me on TW's DVR, but I told her that I've been a TiVo user for a long time and much prefer it to the TW box. She let it go at that and set me up for an install. The guy showed up with two cable cards, which was promising. It took him a little while to get things going, but he finally got both cards installed and "hit." He told me that it'd take 30-45 minutes to get information downloaded (this is irrelevant, I believe...I think he was talking about TW guide information that would be downloaded to a device like a TV using the cablecards. TiVo doesn't care about that, since it uses its own guide info). At this point he left, even though it appeared to me that card 2 was working and card 1 was not. Sure enough, that was the case.

I called TW and told them that the install was only 50% successful. The guy told me that he'd contact dispatch and have someone come back out. Of course that didn't happen -- I never heard anything. I called back the next day and set up a new appointment. The next guy just came and left without a cable card. Said that the trouble ticket just said "blank screen," which he obviously took to mean a problem with the signal. Sigh. He was cool enough to talk to dispatch and emphasize that I need a NEW CABLE CARD. So I have a third attempt scheduled.

While I know that TW has no real motivation to support cable cards, it seems like the cost of all these truck rolls would be enough to get them to do it properly.
jallison86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #1783
ScratchFury

jallison86, I know what you mean. I almost feel like I wore out some tires with the truck rolls required to get me going. Hey, what does the CableCARD info screen say? You might have the same problem as I did, and if so, you don't need a new card just someone to hit the card from the head end. I say head end because I don't believe the CSR can send the required number or type of hits to correct this particular problem.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #1784
jallison86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury
jallison86, I know what you mean. I almost feel like I wore out some tires with the truck rolls required to get me going. Hey, what does the CableCARD info screen say? You might have the same problem as I did, and if so, you don't need a new card just someone to hit the card from the head end. I say head end because I don't believe the CSR can send the required number or type of hits to correct this particular problem.
As far as the error, the TiVo just puts up something like "Cable Card 1 is not operating correctly. Error xxx-x" I don't recall what the error number is, but when I read it to the TW support guy he decoded it into a problem with a Sony TV. I don't own a Sony TV, so the usefulness of this error code is questionable. I suspect it's a broken cable card.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #1785
ScratchFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallison86
As far as the error, the TiVo just puts up something like "Cable Card 1 is not operating correctly. Error xxx-x" I don't recall what the error number is, but when I read it to the TW support guy he decoded it into a problem with a Sony TV. I don't own a Sony TV, so the usefulness of this error code is questionable. I suspect it's a broken cable card.
Yeah, that sounds like a different problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #1786
jallison86

TW SoCal saga continues

To recap the story so far...
Monday -- Time Warner tech comes out, installs two cable cards. Tells me it'll take "30-45 minutes for them to download information" and leaves. At the end of the day, one works and one does not.

Wednesday -- Another tech comes out. His work order says the symptom is "blank screen." He has no cable card. He calls dispatch and arranges for someone to bring a cable card on Thursday.

Thursday -- Nobody shows up. I call TW and am asked if I rescheduled the appointment. Uh, no. They are not all apologetic about blowing off my appointment. Now I'm scheduled for next Monday. We'll see if someone shows up this time.

Time Warner customer service ladies and gentlemen. No wonder they're getting sued.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #1787
ScratchFury

Just remember to get your money. If they don't show up, they owe you.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #1788
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Just remember to get your money. If they don't show up, they owe you.
Can you elaborate a little bit please? I'm not familiar with this TWC policy.

Thank you-
Joe
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #1789
ScratchFury

Look at "On-Time Guarantee"

http://www.timewarnercable.com/corpo...tservover.html

The standard seems to be a $20 credit for missed appointments.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #1790
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Look at "On-Time Guarantee"

http://www.timewarnercable.com/corpo...tservover.html

The standard seems to be a $20 credit for missed appointments.
I had no idea such a policy existed. Thank you for the information.

Joe
Old 07-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #1791
capwkidd

Tivo3 1 CC works/2nd Does Not...

Ok, in TW area (Thousand Oaks, CA), Tivo 3, 1st CC works fine, always has, 2nd does not, 2nd card worked this morning when 2nd tech was here (1st repair tech, the other one was the install tech), what do I need to do to get this fixed? I have tried putting the cards into the following order in ACSR (ok, I asked the TW agent to do this):
Card 1: Outlet A
Card 2: Outlet B

No change, asked them to INIT (not hit, what is with hits? Lame, I always INIT myself), no change, I did notice the firware versions on the cards are different.. if that makes a difference ... what else do we/I need to do? I have been trying to read this thread, but it's a long one! Thanks for any and all help!
capwkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #1792
nharmon91

Quote:
I have TimeWarner in the Summerville, SC area.
Well, I also live in Summerville, SC and am calling to schedual to have both cable cards installed, I have never had a good experience from these guys so I am not looking foward to it.
nharmon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #1793
ScratchFury

capwkidd, do both cards say "CP Auth Received"?

nharmon91, make sure they pair each card one at a time. Put in the first cable card and WAIT for the black screen with white text to appear. This can take 2 or 3 minutes. THEN have him pair the card. AFTER the card is paired, check channels 102+. 101 is not a good indicator as it is really an analog channel. If that works, THEN put in the second card. I had to fight the guy tooth and nail to pair one at a time.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #1794
capwkidd

What are the steps in this pairing process? Oh, and I do not recall ever seeing that "CP Auth Received" message, and I did notice that the two cards have different firmware versions...

Now, the closest thing I found to "CP Auth Received", is:
Ecryption:DES
EnabledByCP:no
copy protection key:disabled
But my working card has that same last line, and says the same thing.... the screens are actually different, with different info from the two cards...

Quote:
capwkidd, do both cards say "CP Auth Received"?

nharmon91, make sure they pair each card one at a time. Put in the first cable card and WAIT for the black screen with white text to appear. This can take 2 or 3 minutes. THEN have him pair the card. AFTER the card is paired, check channels 102+. 101 is not a good indicator as it is really an analog channel. If that works, THEN put in the second card. I had to fight the guy tooth and nail to pair one at a time.

Last edited by capwkidd : 07-01-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #1795
ScratchFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by capwkidd
What are the steps in this pairing process? Oh, and I do not recall ever seeing that "CP Auth Received" message, and I did notice that the two cards have different firmware versions...
You should have gotten a sheet with instructions that look like this:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/Cont...Installers.pdf

The "Auth Status:" should be here:
Code:
 Messages & Settings ->
  Settings ->
   Remote, CableCARD, & Devices ->
    CableCARD(TM) Decoder ->
     Configure CableCARD # ->
      SA CableCARD CP Screen

Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #1796
capwkidd

Quote:
You should have gotten a sheet with instructions that look like this:

The "Auth Status:" should be here:
Code:
 Messages & Settings ->
  Settings ->
   Remote, CableCARD, & Devices ->
    CableCARD(TM) Decoder ->
     Configure CableCARD # ->
      SA CableCARD CP Screen
Neither card has a screen that sasys "auth status:" .... Let me see if I can provide some pics...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #1797
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by capwkidd
Neither card has a screen that sasys "auth status:" .... Let me see if I can provide some pics...
Note that Motorola and Scientific Atlanta cablecards have different screens. I believe CP Auth Received is a SA term. Enabled by CP is the Motorola equivalent.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #1798
capwkidd

Ok, now both cards are, well, kind of working, I am not getting all my channels... Hmm... I can record two channels above 400 at 1 time... I'll record a little longer, then reboot... see if I get all my channels then.... what a pain!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #1799
jayladdin

Just thought I'd weigh in with my experience which (so far - knock on wood) - has been successful. I'm in Queens (Time Warner NYC) and had my CableCARD installation on Saturday morning. The technician brought three cards with him just in case one didn't work. He followed the TiVo-supplied instructions, although he installed both cards before calling TW to activate them.

The card in Slot 2 worked fine, but the card in Slot 1 only worked for a few channels. Good thing he had the third card with him. The third card worked fine in Slot 1.

The technician essentially said that the CableCARDS are iffy in general - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes they work and then stop working. Seems like it's luck of the draw.

So we'll see....
jayladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #1800
Joey Bagadonuts

These might be dumb questions (if they are, so be it) but are these CableCards a necessity solely for TiVo S3 owners or are they necessary for all DVRs? Also, is this technology fairly new? From all the problems documented here and the apparent lack of knowledge on the part of the providers and installers, it sounds like it is and there are still some serious bugs that need to be worked out.