TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #1741
Joey Bagadonuts

Wow, am I glad I found this forum. Anaheim CA here and a TW customer (4 digital cable boxes on assorted TVs throughout the house). Here's my situation and anyone who has advice to offer, I am all ears (well, actually all eyes). We currently have three S2's all single tuners and we'll be purchasing a 47" Phillips HDTV for the living room and we want to replace that S2 with an S3. Until reading this forum, I had no knowledge of the need for CableCARDS (I have no idea what a CableCARD does). I thought installing an S3 to my cable box would be as simple as when I installed my S2's. Apparently I am sorely mistaken. So, my question is, assuming I have purchased and now possess an activated S3 and a new 47" HDTV, what do I need to tell TW when I call them?
Again, thanks in advance for any advice you care to offer.

Joe
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #1742
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagadonuts
Wow, am I glad I found this forum. Anaheim CA here and a TW customer (4 digital cable boxes on assorted TVs throughout the house). Here's my situation and anyone who has advice to offer, I am all ears (well, actually all eyes). We currently have three S2's all single tuners and we'll be purchasing a 47" Phillips HDTV for the living room and we want to replace that S2 with an S3. Until reading this forum, I had no knowledge of the need for CableCARDS (I have no idea what a CableCARD does). I thought installing an S3 to my cable box would be as simple as when I installed my S2's. Apparently I am sorely mistaken. So, my question is, assuming I have purchased and now possess an activated S3 and a new 47" HDTV, what do I need to tell TW when I call them?

Joe
You will not need a cable box at all. The cablecards will make the S3 get all the channels that the cable box can receive (minus PPV)
SugarBowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #1743
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl
You will not need a cable box at all. The cablecards will make the S3 get all the channels that the cable box can receive (minus PPV)
Well, PPV and SDV if it's in use in your area.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #1744
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
At least for some PPV channels, here on SoCal Time Warner, I'm told you can call in and order. Then set your TiVo for a one-off recording.

So no, it's not orderable from the remote or S3 interface. And it doesn't work for InDemand content (like Howard Stern.) But, apparently (I haven't tested this myself) you can still make an old-fashioned call and order some up.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #1745
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
what do I need to tell TW when I call them?

Joe
The cable cards replace the cable box. They are inserted into the S3 and decode encrypted channels as the cable box would. Tell them you need two cable cards, but ask them to make sure the installer brings a few extras in case some are bad.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #1746
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:

Joe
Go to the TiVo website and find the paper that says "Give this to your cablecard installer." You might be able to do it yourself or not depending on whether your TW Customer Service Rep can initialize the cards.

I'm in San Fernando Valley and I had to have a technician here to call the dispatcher to do it. The CSR can send a hit, but it's not the same as initializing - at least in this area. CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #1747
Joey Bagadonuts

Thanks for all the excellent (and prompt) feedback. One question I have is, given all the apparent problems there seems to be with these CableCARDS, can I use a cable box instead of them? Or, does the S3 require the cards? Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #1748
jayladdin

Quote:
Thanks for all the excellent (and prompt) feedback. One question I have is, given all the apparent problems there seems to be with these CableCARDS, can I use a cable box instead of them? Or, does the S3 require the cards? Thanks again.
Sure you can. You just won't be able to record more than one show at once.
jayladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #1749
Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran
Interactive - the person you talked to on the phone does NOT know what he's talking about. I just went through a similar situation in Dallas. The person on the phone swore up and down that I would be able to pick up cards at the office (despite what I had read here), and he even gave me a Job # for them to reference at the office when I got there. But wouldn't you know, when I arrived, the ladies at the office said they never do that and in fact do not even have the cards there at the office. There was much confusion on their part because the phone guy had put a "Do not send truck - give Cards at office" note on my account and they couldn't figure out how to clear it in order to order the truck roll.

Now I've just gotta wait 2 weeks for a tech...
For those that aren't satisfied with the experiences of other Tivo-ites who have tried to get cards from TWC at their local store (like my stubborn self), elanaran was completely right. I went to the store to pick up the cards and they claim to not carry them at the store. Fortunately, I was pesimistic about this actually working anyway so I had called in another service visit for the 15th...

We'll see if they get this right when they arive at my house... my expectations are low.
Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #1750
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayladdin
HUH?? Don't understand that answer. CB
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #1751
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayladdin
You cannot use a cable box with an S3. For starters, it lacks the ability to control a cable or satellite box. And then there is the fact that it doesn't have the ability to take the input from a cable box.

You *COULD* use a cable box with an S2 (or a cable box + regular cable input with an S2DT to record two things at once), but then you wouldn't be able to record HD programs.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #1752
jayladdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
You cannot use a cable box with an S3. For starters, it lacks the ability to control a cable or satellite box. And then there is the fact that it doesn't have the ability to take the input from a cable box.

You *COULD* use a cable box with an S2 (or a cable box + regular cable input with an S2DT to record two things at once), but then you wouldn't be able to record HD programs.
My apologies for the misinformation. My S3 is on its way and I apparently received some inaccurate info.
jayladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #1753
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial

Got it, thanks. Currently I have three S2's, all single tuners (and no HDTV's yet) so that explains why I've been able to use my TW cable box(es) with my S2's with no problem at all.

Taking into consideration the overall expense involved in staying with TiVo when upgrading to HDTV, I'll have to revisit just going with a TW DVR for the time being. Especially given the fact that networking features such as Multi-Room Viewing and TiVoToGo, are not supported by the S3. I do a fair amount of program transferring between my TiVo DVRs and my DVRs and my laptop. What's the sense in paying $500 for a "TiVo" DVR when all you're really getting is just a dual tuner DVR?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #1754
cynthetiq

let me make sure I understand this... if I wanted to use a Tivo S3 and only use it for OTA HD I can't do that at all?
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Independent, either you're an ******* or you're not.
cynthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #1755
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthetiq
let me make sure I understand this... if I wanted to use a Tivo S3 and only use it for OTA HD I can't do that at all?
Yes... you can do that just fine.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #1756
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Got it, thanks. Currently I have three S2's, all single tuners (and no HDTV's yet) so that explains why I've been able to use my TW cable box(es) with my S2's with no problem at all.

Taking into consideration the overall expense involved in staying with TiVo when upgrading to HDTV, I'll have to revisit just going with a TW DVR for the time being. Especially given the fact that networking features such as Multi-Room Viewing and TiVoToGo, are not supported by the S3. I do a fair amount of program transferring between my TiVo DVRs and my DVRs and my laptop. What's the sense in paying $500 for a "TiVo" DVR when all you're really getting is just a dual tuner DVR?
If you have a TiVo, you'll hate TW's DVR. It works, but the way you program it sucks.

CB
Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #1757
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
If you have a TiVo, you'll hate TW's DVR. It works, but the way you program it sucks.

CB
See my above rants
Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #1758
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

I came here today excited about the possibility of maybe having a TiVo again, I haven't since I got an HDTV a couple of years ago. But with the horror stories here I'm not so sure.

I'm not concerned about the installation, even if there are problems eventually it will get done. What scares me is SDV. 90% of what I watch is in HD, is SDV used for those channels? If not, I won't worry about that aspect. I can always watch those channels on another TV if I have too.

Re TiVo to Go and Multi-room viewing (features I never had before), could someone give me odds (your personal opinioin) on whether or not those will eventually become available? If they did, it would justify the extra cost of TiVo re TWC DVRs
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #1759
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes
Re TiVo to Go and Multi-room viewing (features I never had before), could someone give me odds (your personal opinioin) on whether or not those will eventually become available?
Personal opinion: 87%
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #1760
rodalpho

My guess would be:

MRV - 90%
TTG - 100% on analog and copy freely tagged content, 0% on everything else. But we won't see it in 2007.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #1761
snowbunny

I now am the proud renter of two Cable Cards and am paying for more channels than I receive.

I'm pissed as hell....

A lot of the digital channels seem to be SDV. For example, I can get VH1, but not VH1P on my S3. I can't get BBCA. And more. I plan to do a test later (thanks, TW, I had better ways of spending my time).

I am also going to write and insist on being given a list of channels on SDV.

If they move channels to this extent in Austin, then TW will do it everywhere. I don't consider BBC America to be a nonsense channel and there is no analog equivalent or sister channel to watch.

TW absolutely blows.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #1762
Peter000

TW in NYC here. Having a weird issue with the Guide listings for WNET. 7.1 has guide data, as does 160, the SD version. The HD version, Ch 713 does not list any program info. And when I search the HD Only titles, it lists channel 160 as an HD channel. I'm kind of pissed, because I scheduled two programs I wanted to see in HD and they recorded from the SD channel (they showed 713 when I scheduled them but somehow switched to 160).

Is this a TiVo isssue, or a TW issue? The Listings are a TiVo thing right? So I should complain to them?
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #1763
snowbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763
This list is simply not true. CableCards can get all channels under 78, just in the analog form. Anything above 78 on your list is indeed switched and CableCards cannot get them. Confusion has come about due to our finally going full digital simulcast. I will get with my boss so no one else gets this wrong information.
I agree that the above list sent in March isn't correct -- at least as of June. I've checked all of the channels below 50 and indeed they all are there. Good thing, too, because TW is contractually obligated to provide some of those to all Austin customers. Not being able to receive ACC (Austin Community College) would have really been a black eye for TW.

However, what happens to the digital channels that are currently SDV when their analog "backing" channels go away, as surely some will do in future? Does the existing channel migrate to the old analog channel number and revert to being unswitched?

Additionally, if you look at:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/austi...cablecard.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/houst...cablecard.html

Austin does not put out a list of SDV channels but does warn that they can't be received by Cable Cards. Rochester lists the channels, and Houston has no information on SDV (I believe it's not used there?).

There should be a list of SDV channels on the Austin site. In fact, ALL TW local sites should include a list of SDV channels either by marking them as such in the channel lineup or listing them in the "why not to use Cable Cards" pages as above. Then we could see the full extent of SDV across the TW brand.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #1764
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt

CB
Actually, I have 3 TiVo DVRs and I am sure I've become spoiled by all TiVo can do compared to other DVRs. But I just can't see spending several hundred dollars on a DVR that isn't yet compatible with the TiVo features (MRV and TTG) I use the most. Without those features, I'm buying just a DVR and I can get one of those for a lost less $$$ (and probably less frustration, too, given some of the CableCard stories) from my cable co.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #1765
EmmettC

TWCNYC 713 HD Channel Missing (WNET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000
TW in NYC here. Having a weird issue with the Guide listings for WNET. 7.1 has guide data, as does 160, the SD version. The HD version, Ch 713 does not list any program info. And when I search the HD Only titles, it lists channel 160 as an HD channel. I'm kind of pissed, because I scheduled two programs I wanted to see in HD and they recorded from the SD channel (they showed 713 when I scheduled them but somehow switched to 160).

Is this a TiVo isssue, or a TW issue? The Listings are a TiVo thing right? So I should complain to them?
It's a tivo issue. They dropped 713 from their guide line-up. I just went into online scheduling and it was missing there as well. There's a form you can submit to inform them of this issue- I've submitted one, but I would think that the more notices submitted the sooner they'll take care of the problem. For now, I am manually recordings and it's a pain...

Emmett
EmmettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #1766
cdp1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
You might want to call them the day of the appointment to make sure that a) it's still on and b) that they're bringing CableCARDs.

At least here in Rochester, both me and a friend have called Time Warner specifically to order CableCARDs, only to not have any show up on the work order when they showed. (They do always have the SA DVR with them for some reason...)

To top it all off, after that first experience I called them to ask to reschedule, and they gave me a time that they didn't even show for. I called them in a huff and they claimed they had no record of the appointment. This really cheesed me off as I had to take a huge chunk of time off from work during a fairly busy work week.

The third appointment, they did show up, but an hour after the time they gave us (although the guy did call to let us know), and the guys they sent had never touched a TiVo before.
I had a great experience with TW Rochester on my 2nd S3 CableCard install last Friday. All went well and working great. Just wished we didn't have to deal with SDV and missing channels.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #1767
rlay

El Centro/Yuma now get all HD Channels?

This morning my Motorola 6412 and Tivo S3 were not receiving any HD Cablecard channels. I called, they said it was a known issue and they were working on it. To my surprise, when the service was restored, I received a bunch of channels on the Tivo S3 that I was only getting on the Motorola (including HDNet, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, and a few others).... I guess all the complaining by local Tivo owners was getting to them.

I hope it's not a temporary thing. I hope it is permanent because I was just about to look into DirecTV when their new satellites become operational this summer. This justifies keeping Time Warner because most of the channels I watch are now in HD.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #1768
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettC
It's a tivo issue. They dropped 713 from their guide line-up. I just went into online scheduling and it was missing there as well. There's a form you can submit to inform them of this issue- I've submitted one, but I would think that the more notices submitted the sooner they'll take care of the problem. For now, I am manually recordings and it's a pain...
Emmett
I just called tivo customer care and gave a detailed report about this. The gist is that:

713 (wnethd) program info is on 160 (wnetdt2)
160 (wnetdt2) program info is on 714 (nothing, no picture)
713 (wnethd) has no program info

She promised it would be fixed within 5 days.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #1769
energizerfellow

I finally stepped up to a Tivo Series 3 and having major issues with Time Warner and Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs.

First card I put in worked great right off the bat, if you can believe it. Called in the card and host ID, authed, off the the races. However the second card has never worked properly, even when used alone in the primary slot. I have gone through 10 (yes ten) different cards, with build dates varying by over a year, and all end up with the following when fully authorized ("CP Auth Received"):

Scientific Atlanta Cablecard PKM600

SA CableCARD CP Screen
Auth Status CP Auth Received
Prog Number 3
CCI Byte 0x00
ECM count 0
EMM count 0
Decryption Status OK
PowerKey Status Ready
EID 0xffffffff
MKS period 100 seconds
KSE count 0

Notice the EID number of -1 above, which is obviously bad. The EMMs and ECMs never increase, thus no decryption ever. If I move the one working card around to either slot, it will work fine, so not a problem with the Tivo.

It looks like they are jacking up Entitlement ID (Entitlement Agent ID?), which appears to be a hex value mapping out what you're authorized to access and applies to all Scientific Atlanta client equipment.

Any ideas as to what Time Warner is screwing up on the head end? Disconnect between the CableCARD authorization system and the master Scientific Atlanta authorization box?
energizerfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #1770
pmiranda

Sounds like they need to send some more hits. What city?
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote