Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM   #1711
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtoupgrade
Time Warner Cypress - here again

A few posts ago I reported success in TWC installing two cable cards in my S3 on the second try. It was premature. The cards defaulted to basic channels only after a couple of days. Today the third tech came out and he was totally clueless. Had never troubleshooted cable cards, only installed them. He was here a couple of hours and made lots of phone calls but solved nothing. He left indicating somebody more knowledgeable would call me tomorrow regarding the problem. TWC is a joke, and I am almost ready to dump them and my S3 for satellite.
I don't know whether my situation is similar to yours. I live in Albany,NY.

About once a month my cards seem to default to basic channels only.

Sometimes I can re-store them just by re-booting the S3. Other times they seem to re-cover by the next day without my doing anything.
BruceShultes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #1712
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj
Is anyone else NOT getting A&E in NYC on channel 16?

It's not broadcasting on either of my cable cards and when I check the signal strength it says it's at 100%
Anyone else not getting A&E (ch.16) TW Manhattan (NYC)?

Reboot is no help. I don't need to resurrect this station immediately, but I am paying for it as part of my cable pkg. (Yeah, I'm avoiding the phone call to TWC about this. I don't need the aggravation.)
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #1713
funtoupgrade

Time Warner Cypress, CA - here again

When I got up this morning I found one cable card working and one card not working, so apparently the tech yesterday did solve something on the phone. I have the fourth tech coming out tomorrow with a new cable card. The guy who was supposed to call today around noon has not called yet and I don't expect him to based on my TWC experiences so far.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #1714
funtoupgrade

Time Warner Cypress, CA - here again

Two TWC techs showed up today to replace my bad cable card. I was informed that Cypress-LaPalma TWC had no TWC techs of it's own and had all contract techs who have totally screwed up this area's system. TWC pulled all of their techs from the Costa Mesa/Tustin area and moved them here for one month to try and straighten out the mess!
Today was their first day on the job and what a difference. They actually knew what they were doing and fixed things rather quickly. My second cable card was up and running in about an hour after they arrived. TWC here is new in authorizing cable cards which has been done by Comcast in Los Angels until just recently. The problem is there is only one person who has actually done it and yet there are a bunch of trainees who might answer the dispatch phone for authorization. Apparently whoever writes the software for Time Warner is an idiot, because the computer screens on which they enter data seem to have different terms for the four numbers that need to be entered than what is typically displayed on the TV when a cable card is detected.

In any case they got my second cable working and for me that is all that matters at the moment.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #1715
Brad Smith

Time Warner Cable Nebraska (in Lincoln) has started using SDV with new channels they are adding, unfortunately starting with ESPN2 HD. Buyer beware. It's likely to increase as they are using Lincoln as a test site for a great many things right now.
Brad Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 AM   #1716
jeffinhollywood

I'm a Time Warner cable customer in hollywood, ca. I'm having problems with Tivo displaying certain channels on a sporadic basis...especially Hi Def channels. It seems like it could be one of the 2 cable cards but hard to pin down. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesnt. If Tivo is recording something on one card I definitely seem to have the problem. A call to Time Warner support, of course, rendered no help. They said I needed to contact my TV manufacturer (right) ...finally got them to make an appt to come back out. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
jeffinhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #1717
AgentMunroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinhollywood
I'm a Time Warner cable customer in hollywood, ca. I'm having problems with Tivo displaying certain channels on a sporadic basis...especially Hi Def channels. It seems like it could be one of the 2 cable cards but hard to pin down. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesnt. If Tivo is recording something on one card I definitely seem to have the problem. A call to Time Warner support, of course, rendered no help. They said I needed to contact my TV manufacturer (right) ...finally got them to make an appt to come back out. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Before the Time Warner rep shows up, you should run through the Channel Test function on each of your CableCARDs and see if all your channels work across both cards - from what you're describing one of your cards may not be working or authorized properly. Just flip through your HD channels plus any premiums you might have and verify they both work with all the channels you should be getting. If they don't, restart your TiVo and try it again - sometimes the cards will lose authorization. (You may need to wait a few minutes after rebooting for the cards to re-authorize.) If not, you'll have to post the diagnostics screen from the non-functioning card for any more help... it might just be that Time Warner didn't authorize the card properly.
AgentMunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #1718
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinhollywood
I'm in West Valley of TW and "lost" one of my cable cards. Record a HiDef channel on one tuner, then try to select a different HiDef channel to play. That way you will know that it is one cable card that is not working.

Go into cable card menu where it shows the host ID and see if both cards are authorized.

Mine came back to life a few days later - probably a result of lots of people calling TW.

CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #1719
LQQK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Smith
Time Warner Cable Nebraska (in Lincoln) has started using SDV with new channels they are adding, unfortunately starting with ESPN2 HD. Buyer beware. It's likely to increase as they are using Lincoln as a test site for a great many things right now.
I live in Lincoln,,,,,I'm embarrassed to have to ask,,,,What is SDV?

LQQK
LQQK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #1720
jeffinhollywood

Thanks for the replies. I've isolated the fact that CableCard 1 does not work. When I go in to the settings screen for CC1 vs. CC2, CC1 clearly shows it's not authorized. I called TWC customer service and of course they say that there is nothing they can do remote and have to send a tech out to my place. I was hoping they could try re-authorizing it (similar to whatt the tech did when he came out originally) but the girl I spoke with was completely illiterate to the cable cards and had no clue what I was talking about. So, now I have to wait until Saturday cause I'm not taking off work to sit home for 4 hours. *sigh*
jeffinhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #1721
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQK
I live in Lincoln,,,,,I'm embarrassed to have to ask,,,,What is SDV?

LQQK
SDV=Switched Digital Video. Tivo S3s are incompatible with this. A cable co. cable box or DVR will be req'd.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #1722
Langree
The Gimp

I'm switching to TW in Houston so I can get HD. (No LoS for DTV dish), I will be using their HD DVR, which box can I expect to see when they get here Saturday?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #1723
LQQK

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
SDV=Switched Digital Video. Tivo S3s are incompatible with this. A cable co. cable box or DVR will be req'd.
Thank-U

LQQK
LQQK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #1724
Interactive

I just ordered my S3 for use on TW in the Dallas area. I called today to schedule a visit to install Cable Cards and the guy said that I could pick them up at the local shop. Based on this thread, I'm wondering if I should have just scheduled a visit....

Should I try to do this myself first and give it a whirl or am I destined to fail due to these CC issues?
Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #1725
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive
I just ordered my S3 for use on TW in the Dallas area. I called today to schedule a visit to install Cable Cards and the guy said that I could pick them up at the local shop. Based on this thread, I'm wondering if I should have just scheduled a visit....

Should I try to do this myself first and give it a whirl or am I destined to fail due to these CC issues?
Give it a try. There's a document on TiVo support that tells you what to tell the installer to do. The secret is whether you can get to someone on the phone who can do the authorizing. That varies by area. In my area the tech has to phone the dispatcher. Customer Service Reps can't do it.
CB
Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #1726
elenaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive

Interactive - the person you talked to on the phone does NOT know what he's talking about. I just went through a similar situation in Dallas. The person on the phone swore up and down that I would be able to pick up cards at the office (despite what I had read here), and he even gave me a Job # for them to reference at the office when I got there. But wouldn't you know, when I arrived, the ladies at the office said they never do that and in fact do not even have the cards there at the office. There was much confusion on their part because the phone guy had put a "Do not send truck - give Cards at office" note on my account and they couldn't figure out how to clear it in order to order the truck roll.

Now I've just gotta wait 2 weeks for a tech...
elenaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #1727
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
I'm switching to TW in Houston so I can get HD. (No LoS for DTV dish), I will be using their HD DVR, which box can I expect to see when they get here Saturday?
Probably a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, unless they still have some crappy old 8000HD's lying around. Houston is a great place to have an S3, BTW. From what I've heard on the Official TW thread here, they support self-install of Cablecards :-)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #1728
Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran
Interactive - the person you talked to on the phone does NOT know what he's talking about. I just went through a similar situation in Dallas. The person on the phone swore up and down that I would be able to pick up cards at the office (despite what I had read here), and he even gave me a Job # for them to reference at the office when I got there. But wouldn't you know, when I arrived, the ladies at the office said they never do that and in fact do not even have the cards there at the office. There was much confusion on their part because the phone guy had put a "Do not send truck - give Cards at office" note on my account and they couldn't figure out how to clear it in order to order the truck roll.

Now I've just gotta wait 2 weeks for a tech...
This is the exact scenario I was concerned about!! I'm going to head down to the Plano shop today and see what happens. I've got to be down there anyway. But I assume I'll wind up scheduling a visit which will now be 2 days later ....

Morons...why can't they just get this right?
Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #1729
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Probably a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, unless they still have some crappy old 8000HD's lying around. Houston is a great place to have an S3, BTW. From what I've heard on the Official TW thread here, they support self-install of Cablecards :-)
An S3 may be in my future, but not til later this year. Comcast is moving in so I may wait to see if their Tivo box comes out.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #1730
berfy

After reading so many horror stories in here I felt compelled to share my own experience with a Time Warner technician here in Southern California.

Today he arrived, stated immediately that he had just done a Tivo install this morning and felt perfectly comfortable doing another one. He stated also that he had done several since becoming a TW technician 6 months ago and all of them were a complete success.

The people at the TW head end were also perfectly comfortable with sending a hit to my Tivo. The only hiccup I experienced was that the second Cable card didn't want to accept the hit at first but after a few tries it worked perfectly!
After about fifteen minutes we had both cable cards up and running and the picture on all of my HD channels is stupendous!! As far as I can discern, I am getting all of the channels I'm supposed to be getting on BOTH tuners! Discovery HD Theatre is truly a wonder to behold. What an incredibly crisp and clear image!

I am very grateful.

I had steeled myself for abject failure after reading through this entire thread last night and I am just tickled pink that it went so well for me. The additional fact that I paid only $599.00 for my Series 3 with a $200.00 rebate coming to me made it all the more sweet!

A big thank you to the Tivo Gods and I hope that others are equally blessed!!
berfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #1731
AgentMunroe

Yep - the thing you have to realize is that we're the whiners in this thread. If everything went smoothly, we wouldn't have any reason to post. :-P

My install went relatively smoothly (although I basically had to teach them how to install CableCARDs) - it was getting them to actually come out with a CableCARD that was hell. (There was also the missing premiums on one card, but a phone call with a little advice from this thread sorted that out rather quickly.)

I still do get the occasional odd glitch from time to time - It's not perfect, but it's much, much closer then the TW DVR, which I utterly abhor.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #1732
Langree
The Gimp

Ok, I've had TWHD for 2 full days now, watched a few movies in HD, it looks and sounds incredible.

The SD picture is much better then I was getting on my DVR40.

The sound is also better, it seems.

But the SA DVR, OMG what a piece of crap.

No Search
No way to trim the guide to only channels I want to see.
No way to sort guide by HD content, or list only my favorites.

I really think that they threw darts at the channel list to place it in the guide.

I was watching a show 20 minutes delayed and when the recording stopped it kicked me to live TV and lost my place in the show. Really, really weak programming.

The "season pass" functionality is marginal at best.

God I hope Comcast strikes a deal with Tivo.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #1733
Langree
The Gimp

omg, it just did it again while I was watching the Sopranos.. POS
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #1734
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
omg, it just did it again while I was watching the Sopranos.. POS
How did the Sopranos end? My screen went black just as Meadow was going to enter the restuarant. They after a couple of minutes there was the credits scrolling.

Was that the way it ended?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #1735
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
Was that the way it ended?
you should spoiler that, there's a thread discussing it in tv talk here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=355102
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 AM   #1736
snowbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babasyzygy
I had a similar experience with Time Warner in Austin when I got my CARDs installed, about 2 months ago. I think it took 7 cards to get 4 good ones, over two visits - the 2nd tech had done TiVos many times before and mentioned that even this was a much lower failure rate than they used to see.
How much is TW charging per month per card? How much did they charge for the install?

I'll be very seriously peeved if I have to take time off work while they fumble around. We can do Road Runner self-install here in Austin, why not Cable Card?

Last edited by snowbunny : 06-11-2007 at 09:34 AM.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #1737
AgentMunroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'll be very seriously peeved if I have to take time off work while they fumble around. We can do Road Runner self-install here in Austin, why not Cable Card?
You might want to call them the day of the appointment to make sure that a) it's still on and b) that they're bringing CableCARDs.

At least here in Rochester, both me and a friend have called Time Warner specifically to order CableCARDs, only to not have any show up on the work order when they showed. (They do always have the SA DVR with them for some reason...)

To top it all off, after that first experience I called them to ask to reschedule, and they gave me a time that they didn't even show for. I called them in a huff and they claimed they had no record of the appointment. This really cheesed me off as I had to take a huge chunk of time off from work during a fairly busy work week.

The third appointment, they did show up, but an hour after the time they gave us (although the guy did call to let us know), and the guys they sent had never touched a TiVo before.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #1738
elenaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
At least here in Rochester, both me and a friend have called Time Warner specifically to order CableCARDs, only to not have any show up on the work order when they showed. (They do always have the SA DVR with them for some reason...)
Sigh, same thing just happened to me 5 minutes ago...

My 2-week wait for cablecards continues to get longer and longer.
elenaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #1739
Animgif
Stud, Esquire

It seems one of my cable cards has gone bad - or something. It's only getting about 1/10th of the channels. Even a reboot hasn't helped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Animgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #1740
Langree
The Gimp

Looks like my stay with TW is a week, on the 19th Comcast officially takes over Houston.