TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #1681
alyssa

I've just spent the past week dealing with cable card issues. Apparently tw switched the head end from New York State to Portland ME last Monday. This required a firmware update & a re initialization of the cards.
Thankfully the techs came with cable cards, unlike the last 4 times when they didn't arrive with cards. They finally got the CC's working but i still can not get a few channels.
I know this doesn't help you all on the left coast but I feel your pain.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #1682
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurgin
Time Warner of course. Just as I was reading your message, watching 60 Minutes time shifted, up popped a message re:authorizing cable card and contacing TW, I hit clear to dump the message and all seems to be ok. I think TW is sending hits out.

My issue is not getting program info for 404 (NBC HD)

Call Tivo though so they can walk through diagnostics with you.
Hi Steve - both cable cards are now working. I wonder what the problem was???

I too get no program info for 404

Next time instead of posting, I should email you first.

CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #1683
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
Hi Steve - both cable cards are now working. I wonder what the problem was???

I too get no program info for 404

Next time instead of posting, I should email you first.

CB
Called Tivo this am re: 404. I was not the first caller. They have to work it out with TW. Tivo guy in Alabama said probably should be resolved in 2 or 3 days. If not, I'll call back then!
sdurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 AM   #1684
feeferwilly

TIVO S3 without cablecards

Hi there.

I have TWC with the HD cable box. I am thinking of buying a TIVO S3. Is there a way to use the cablebox with the TIVO S3, instead of the cablecards? I like the ON DEMAND features with the cable box.

Thanks,
Steve
feeferwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:58 AM   #1685
Arcady
Stargate Fan

No. The S3 IS the cable box.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #1686
minckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeferwilly
Hi there.

I have TWC with the HD cable box. I am thinking of buying a TIVO S3. Is there a way to use the cablebox with the TIVO S3, instead of the cablecards? I like the ON DEMAND features with the cable box.

Thanks,
Steve
You can have both cableCARDs and a cable box. Split the cable, one end to the HD cable box and the other to the S3. Having both is also the cheaper solution with TWC-NYC, because their "double-play" discounts apply only to packages with cable boxes.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #1687
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minckster
You can have both cableCARDs and a cable box. Split the cable, one end to the HD cable box and the other to the S3. Having both is also the cheaper solution with TWC-NYC, because their "double-play" discounts apply only to packages with cable boxes.
Make sure the cable coming in is split and goes into both. One TW tech came to install the cable cards and wanted to feed from the cable box into the TiVo.

TW techs will often give you a signal booster free. They will also test the incoming line.

CB
Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #1688
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurgin
Called Tivo this am re: 404. I was not the first caller. They have to work it out with TW. Tivo guy in Alabama said probably should be resolved in 2 or 3 days. If not, I'll call back then!
TW West Valley Los Angeles missing channel 404 data resolved as of Tuesday evening.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #1689
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
Make sure the cable coming in is split and goes into both. One TW tech came to install the cable cards and wanted to feed from the cable box into the TiVo.

TW techs will often give you a signal booster free. They will also test the incoming line.

CB
The 1st thing they SHOULD do before installing cards is test signal strength. The SECOND pair of TW techs to visit me did so, replaced a couple of old corroded splitters outside and installed a line amp inside.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #1690
SonicRanger001

Quote:

CB

So if I switch to the S3 after dumping my dish I should get the HD Cable box and then after I get all the "kinks" worked out with that hookup my S3 in-line with the existing HD box and have them come back out and install 2 CC's.

Which also in a way makes sense because then you'd at least have HD tv programming to watch, albeit w/o TiVo while the TWC pukes work out all of my problems with my CC's...

Sounds like a winner to me!!!
SonicRanger001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #1691
SonicRanger001

Oh I forgot to ask, does anyone know what TWC's requirements are for existing cable?

I have rewired my house recently and ran all new RG6Quad throughout, I have all these runs terminating into a multi-media panel in the basement. My plan was to run a piece of RG6Quad from my multi-switch in the basement out the side of my house and leave it dangling there. I then plan on cutting the existing line at the street so the guy has to install a brand-new line from the street to the house and tie into my new line. Do you think I'm going to cause problems doing this? I am aware the supposedly the line from the street to the house is the property of the cable/phone/power company BUT I can always just say thats how I found it when I bought the house last year!!!
SonicRanger001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #1692
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
TWC (formerly Comcast) in my area has recently added: MTV-HD, ESPN2-HD and Fox Reality, three channels I'm really enjoying!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #1693
carolinaherps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicRanger001
So if I switch to the S3 after dumping my dish I should get the HD Cable box and then after I get all the "kinks" worked out with that hookup my S3 in-line with the existing HD box and have them come back out and install 2 CC's.

Which also in a way makes sense because then you'd at least have HD tv programming to watch, albeit w/o TiVo while the TWC pukes work out all of my problems with my CC's...

Sounds like a winner to me!!!
I STRONGLY suggest that if you are going to try the S3, you get it and the cable cards working FIRST before dumping your dish.

Take it from someone who's been without their S3 for a month now because TW can't figure out how to activate the cable cards...
carolinaherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #1694
natepence

Quote:
Originally Posted by natepence
I'm here in Santa Monica and I've about had it with Time Warner and their techs' knowledge of Cablecards.
The first tech, almost a month ago, wound up leaving without everything working. He said it took a while for all the channel lineups to download into the Cablecard. It never worked and I never got anything that was encrypted. I was even getting the lineup from the West LA head end - not Santa Monica like I had been with my Moxi only a couple monutes before I hooked up the S3.
The second didn't know much more about Cablecards and had only brought two of them. Neither worked and I was back to square one.
Next I called and asked for Sergio and several Cablecards to come out, and wound up with Willie, another kid who didn't know what he was doing and only had 3 Cablecards. I got fed up and made him call his supervisor, who said he would be there in an hour with more Cablecards to resolve the problem. He didn't show.
What do I have to do to get someone to come hook this up right?

Just wanted to give an update - my 6th tech came out this morning, and didn't really know what he was doing but it seems that the dispatch he called in Van Nuys really did. I'm not sure if it was Michelle, the woman that Sergio calls, but she got everything working in 15 minutes! I will post that number to the dispatch center as soon as I can - he used my home phone to call and I hav the paper on which he wrote the number. Maybe we'll be able to call and speak to techs ourselves and bypass the techs, who usually just read off the data and host numbers, and that's about it.

EDIT:
Here is the number to the Van Nuys dispatch center, who seem to be able to help out way better than the dispatchers the techs normally call: 1-800-455-0073, then select option 2.

Last edited by natepence : 05-24-2007 at 01:47 AM.
natepence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #1695
Babasyzygy

Limited channels?

57 pages to read through? Argh. In the mean time...

I have Time Warner in Austin, and a couple of S3 TiVos with CableCARDs.

Mostly they're working fine, except I can't receive A&E HD, and the Pacific premium channels feed. I called Time Warner, and they told me that they don't provide those channels on CableCARDs.

Is this legal? Will it be legal come July 1st? Should I complain to the FCC? I'm already complaining to Time Warner, for all they care.

Thanks...

Last edited by Babasyzygy : 05-26-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Babasyzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #1696
Cainebj

A&E in NYC?

Is anyone else NOT getting A&E in NYC on channel 16?

It's not broadcasting on either of my cable cards and when I check the signal strength it says it's at 100%
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #1697
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj
Is anyone else NOT getting A&E in NYC on channel 16?

It's not broadcasting on either of my cable cards and when I check the signal strength it says it's at 100%

Ditto. Not getting A&E on ch. 16 in NYC via cable cards, but it is working on my old cable box that I still have in the bedroom.

Looks like a channel list error being sent to the Cable Cards. A&E isn't a premium station AFAIK.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #1698
Cainebj

Thanks T-Shee - I was wondering if it was just me

I don't watch A&E all that often, but I was attempting to record the first season of 24 which they just started re-airing and it wasn't happening. Oh well, guess I go to the DVD.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #1699
bradbarrish

Here's the story of how things went for me and my brand new S3. As soon as I got the S3, I made a service appointment for the following Saturday morning between 9am and 12pm. The technician arrived at 12pm with no CableCARDs despite the fact that it clearly said the job included CableCARDs. The technician was also installing internet, so while he was finishing that up, he called his supervisor in the field letting him know that the warehouse didn't supply him with the CableCARDs. His supervisor agreed to come out to the house the same day between 1 and 3pm. He showed up with two cards, inserted them into the TiVo, told me it would take some time for them to be registered on the network and left.

The next day I turned the TiVo on and was only receiving local channels. No CNN, no MTV and definitely no HBO, Showtime, etc. I called Time Warner customer service and they clearly didn't understand that I was using TiVo and not my TV for the cards. They also didn't understand why I had two cards. I explained it all to them and they were clueless. They said that both cards were listed on my account, but after trying various signal refreshes, she could not get the cards to work and ended up saying there was a problem with the TiVo. So I got off the phone with TW and called TiVo. TiVo went through the CableCARD screens and figured out that while the cards might be listed on my account, they clearly were not initialized properly and were therefore not paired. The TiVo support guy was very nice, though the entire process with him on the phone took upwards of an hour to get to the point where TiVo was saying that it was TW's fault. TW said it's TiVo's fault and TiVo said it was TW fault. Needless to say, I was frustrated beyond belief. I asked the TiVo guy what questions or information I should ask for from TW, so that I might get someone to help me better. He offered to call TW with me on the phone and help, so we called them up and started again.

The rep at TW was nice, but clearly didn't know anything about CableCARD technology. From her perspective, everything was fine and there was no reason why it wouldn't be working. She put us on hold for a long time, though she did come back every so often to tell us she was still trying to get through to someone that knew a little more about CableCARD. She knew she wasn't going to be able to help. We did have to push a little for her to ask someone else. Finally she had a supervisor come on that knew a little more about CableCARDs. She sent some refresh signals. The TiVo guy said they needed to send a "hard hit" to the cards and she didn't understand that. We went through a bunch of other options, spent a lot of time on hold and finally, almost 4 hours later (!!!!), she set me up with another technician to come out the following Saturday. As you can imagine, I was so beyond frustrated at this point that I wanted to smash the TiVo. So, just to tally up how much of my time it has taken to get to this point:

4 Hours (for technician who showed up without the cards)
3 Hours (for supervisor to come out and install the cards)
4 Hours (on the phone with TW and TiVo customer support)
TOTAL: 11 hours and the CableCARDs still aren't working

The following Saturday, the technician showed up at 9am sharp. He had 1 CableCARD. I shot him a look and he could tell I was immediately pissed. I told him the whole story and he told me to calm down and assured me he wouldn't leave until it was solved. He had more cards in his truck. He went out to his truck and grabbed 5 more cards. So he had a total of 6 cards in my house. I removed the existing cards for my TiVo and placed the first replacement card in the bottom slot. I tested the channels and had the same problem as before. Only local channels would work. Card #2 did the same thing. Card #3 did the same thing. We tried card #4 and it worked fine after taking a few minutes to pair with the network. Great, we have 1 card out of 6 that works. Now, it shoudl be said that switching out cards on the TiVo isn't easy because it asks you to go through the Guided Setup after you switch the cards, which takes a long time. I did that once and then we just figured out it was much easier to test the cards in the TV, since it had a CableCARD slot. We went through the remaining cards and none of them worked. 1 out of 10 cards were defective as far as the technician was concerned. He said he would run back to the warehouse and grab some more cards and would be back in 15 minutes, which he was.

We inserted one of the new ones into the TV and it didn't work. We tried the next, which also didn't work and finally the third, which didn't work. This wasn't making any sense. He tried calling their IS (engineers) department and no one answered. All morning he wasn't able to get anyone on the phone. He knew that he needed to get these guys on the phone in order to figure this out. He finally got someone on and they couldn't do anything for him because the cards weren't listed on my account. So he then had to call customer service and get them added to the account. He called the IS department back on the phone and went through them to see if they could reset the card from there. He listed all the numbers they were asking for over and over, but something wasn't matching up. It was finally determined that a bar code didn't match the number of the actual card so when the card was brought into inventory and scanned, it didn't match what the card actually was. In other words, the bar code didn't match the code that was hard coded into the card. There was no way to correct this. And we couldn't simply swap it out with another card. IS doesn't have the ability to add equipment to an account, so we had to call customer service back, have them remove the old card and put another one in. Once we did that, we called IS back and after reading them all the numbers to activate it, it worked. So out of 10 cards, we had 2 cards that worked. Everyone was pretty excited. The total amount of time spent on this was 4 hours, bringing the grand total to 15 hours to get 2 working CableCARDs in my TiVo, never mind the amount of time it took to run Guided Setup several times (about 30 minutes each time).

You can be sure I will be writing a letter to Time Warner about my experience, which could not have been more frustrating. I work 70+ hours per week and having to deal with this could not have been more unpleasant. Unless you have the time and patience to deal with hurdles like this, I would not recommend getting an S3 in Los Angeles. Maybe other people have had better experiences, but chances are you haven't. It was made very clear that CableCARD technology is so new that there aren't many people that know what to do, which is really unfortunate. It's worth mentioning that the tech that came out the second time was a rock star. He went above and beyond to make sure the job was done right. He took pride in what he was doing and was extremely thorough. his name was Aric and his technician number was 6509. He should be training everyone, even the supervisors.

I know this was long, but if it ends up helping people, then it was worth it. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
bradbarrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #1700
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbarrish
bringing the grand total to 15 hours to get 2 working CableCARDs in my TiVo, never mind the amount of time it took to run Guided Setup several times (about 30 minutes each time).
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through so much trouble to get things working.

It's been a while since I had my 4 CableCARDs installed, but I could have sworn I was able to test the reception of channels using the CableCARD test menus without needing to do the guided setup. The guided setup (as I recall) was only needed for final setup so the S3 could record stuff correctly. Still you would have had multiple visits and countless time on the phone, but possibly it could save some time if you need to do it again.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #1701
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
I know this was long, but if it ends up helping people, then it was worth it. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
Welcome to the club. Where in LA are you? I'm in the San Fernando Valley - West Valley - Time Warner. Been there, done that. Then when there is a problem, TiVo and TW each blame the other.

Call TW and ask that they give you a credit for the charge for the install. Just tell them how many hours it took. They did that for me.

CB
Old 05-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #1702
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Call TW and ask that they give you a credit for the charge for the install.
Charge for the install?

I'm in TWC - Los Angeles area (formerly Comcast.) The first tech didn't have cable cards, but the second did. It took about 45 minutes but everything worked fine when he was done. And there was never any charge, for either visit.

After what bradbarrish went through, he should be getting 6 months free service or something!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #1703
sdurgin
Mac user

Quote:
Welcome to the club.

TW is still proving that they have a huge problem with training system wide. I was only able to get satisfaction by getting one tech to put his supervisor on the phone, who was very attentive and good at getting more experienced techs out.

Never let the tech leave before seeing the cards working. There is no huge lag time in seeing hits on the cablecard diagnostic menus. Keep them there until they run out of cards to swap.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #1704
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Charge for the install?

I'm in TWC - Los Angeles area (formerly Comcast.) The first tech didn't have cable cards, but the second did. It took about 45 minutes but everything worked fine when he was done. And there was never any charge, for either visit.

After what bradbarrish went through, he should be getting 6 months free service or something!
They charged me $29.95 for the install until I told them my tale of woe - which included the dispatcher telling the first tech, "Tell her that we do not support TiVo and leave her house immediately."

CB
Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #1705
Babasyzygy

I had a similar experience with Time Warner in Austin when I got my CARDs installed, about 2 months ago. I think it took 7 cards to get 4 good ones, over two visits - the 2nd tech had done TiVos many times before and mentioned that even this was a much lower failure rate than they used to see. In the process though, he had to prove to his NOC that they were bad, after reviewing a lot of the signal strength and synchronization diagnostics.

To contrast that, when I was back in Florida about 5 months ago (where's Bright House cable) the tech just put 4 CableCARDs in, they fired up right away and were ready to go with no problem.

On the gripping hand, my girlfriend's S3 CableCARD install was two weeks ago (in Florida with Bright House), and the tech had no clue and it took enormous effort to get him to try a third CableCARD when the 2nd was bad. He eventually did, and it worked.

Go figure.

In my view, we need to keep hammering away at Time Warner with whatever bludgeons we can, from our own options with Satellite (hey, if we have to use a box, why not Satellite?) to whatever complaints we can make with the FCC, either now or when the Integration Ban hits on July 1.
Babasyzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #1706
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babasyzygy

In my view, we need to keep hammering away at Time Warner with whatever bludgeons we can, from our own options with Satellite (hey, if we have to use a box, why not Satellite?) to whatever complaints we can make with the FCC, either now or when the Integration Ban hits on July 1.
"...when the Integration Ban hits..." the fan.

Unless there is a substantial improvement in their (all cable companies) knowledge and support for Cable Cards, all "new cable box" customers could be wind up in the same leaky boat as S3 folks.

When the vast majoriy of cable subscriber have cable cards in their cable boxes (many years away, if ever) something may improve, but since Cable Cards are still relatively rare and will remain so for a quite a while, I don't see any improvement happening for a few years.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #1707
funtoupgrade

Time Warner Cypress, CA - here again

Well on the second try TWC got two cable cards working in my series 3 so I am now a happy camper.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate

Last edited by funtoupgrade : 05-31-2007 at 03:35 PM.
funtoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #1708
Roderigo

Quote:
The TiVo support guy was very nice, though the entire process with him on the phone took upwards of an hour to get to the point where TiVo was saying that it was TW's fault. TW said it's TiVo's fault and TiVo said it was TW fault. Needless to say, I was frustrated beyond belief. I asked the TiVo guy what questions or information I should ask for from TW, so that I might get someone to help me better. He offered to call TW with me on the phone and help, so we called them up and started again.
While I'm sorry it was such an ordeal, nice of tivo to offer to call TW with you. Hopefully that put a little bit of fire in TW to get things right.

And, it sounds like tivo diagnosed it properly, and only TW could fix the problem.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #1709
bradbarrish

I live in Venice.

Fofer - You can bet that I will somehow get 6 months free, if for nothing else to cover the costs of having one of their crap DVRs for 6 months before I decided to throw down the cash for an S3. I sent the story to The Consumerist. If you don't know about the site, I highly recommend adding it to your daily reading, starting with their post on contacting TWC executive customer support.
bradbarrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #1710
funtoupgrade

Time Warner Cypress, CA - here again

A few posts ago I reported success in TWC installing two cable cards in my S3 on the second try. It was premature. The cards defaulted to basic channels only after a couple of days. Today the third tech came out and he was totally clueless. Had never troubleshooted cable cards, only installed them. He was here a couple of hours and made lots of phone calls but solved nothing. He left indicating somebody more knowledgeable would call me tomorrow regarding the problem. TWC is a joke, and I am almost ready to dump them and my S3 for satellite.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate

Last edited by funtoupgrade : 05-31-2007 at 03:35 PM.
funtoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote