TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #1471
davecramer74

Quote:
I live/work in Venice California. The TW sales person stated" I don't recommend the cable cards, they are unreliable. You must purchase and lease a TW HD Digital receiver or TW HD DVR to receive HD signals. I think that sounds like a monopoly. What should I do?
thats a sales person trying to get you to use their STB. As for living ini venice, i think verizon is going to be knocking on your door if they havent already. Id be going FIOS if i was you.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #1472
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchfilms
I live/work in Venice California. The TW sales person stated" I don't recommend the cable cards, they are unreliable. You must purchase and lease a TW HD Digital receiver or TW HD DVR to receive HD signals. I think that sounds like a monopoly. What should I do?
That sounds like an uninformed TW sales person.

I am in L.A. and my S3 is getting all the HD that TWC (currently) has to offer:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...cablecard.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #1473
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchfilms

Look around at the houses in your area, do you see tv antennas? If the answer is yes. Just connect your S3 to an OTA antenna and get all local hd channels right from Mt.Wilson for free. If you want other stations like Sports or Movie stations you will need cable cards.

I have TW here in Torrance, and have had a few problems with cable cards. Currently I am experiencing a missing channel problem in the digital range above 125... Hope to get that fixed today.

Oh yea, it's helpful to include your location in your profile.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #1474
Teeps

missing digital stations, torrance, ca

10MAR07:

Out of the blue the Speed Channel (and many other digital stations) has disappeared from cable card #1 again.

What really pisses me off about this is, even after the 8.1 update, TiVo is still not smart enough to use the cable card/tuner combo (in this case card 2) that gets the station.
And, it couldn't happen last week has to happen during Daytona Speed Week!!!!
I almost missed the "Live Supercross" broad cast because of this!

I'll be trying my previous fix below and hope it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
Ditto the problem for me too.

I don't remember seeing anything about "digital rebuild", but now that you mention it, that is what I have.
So I will look again today.

Thanks,Tp

I finally got the right channel lineup.

I continued to answer the "what's on this channel" question "I don't know, try another" until TiVo said they had the lineup narrowed down to 4.

I selected Torrance Digital Extended REBUILD and that did the trick...

Oh joy, now I can season pass and record SPEED, and (in HD) DISCOVERY!

27JAN07:

I found out the hard way that if both cable cards are not receiving "ALL" the expected channels. Tivo is not smart enough to record from the card that does recieve the the channel.

It tried to record from SPEED ch, but from the tuner/card that was not working.

I did get both cards to work by:

1. Unplugging TiVo.
2. Removing the cards.
3. Restared TiVo (W/O cards, had to do guided setup.)
4. Insert Card 1, (and did guided setup again.)
5. Insert Card 2,
6. Called Time Warner to "hit" both cards again.
Had to tell the lady at TW 3 times it was a TiVo.
Finally she agreed to send the hit.
Waited about an hour.
7. Ran guided setup again.

Viola, all expected channels are now working... So far.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #1475
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
10MAR07:

Out of the blue the Speed Channel (and many other digital stations) has disappeared from cable card #1 again.

What really pisses me off about this is, even after the 8.1 update, TiVo is still not smart enough to use the cable card/tuner combo (in this case card 2) that gets the station.
And, it couldn't happen last week has to happen during Daytona Speed Week!!!!
I almost missed the "Live Supercross" broad cast because of this!

I'll be trying my previous fix below and hope it works.
It has been my experience that from time to time certain channels seem to become available that I don't pay for. For example the NBA channel was available and I'm not suppose to get that. I've also seen things (not on the S3) where Showtime on Demand became available even though I don't subscribe to Showtime.

Have you checked your list to make sure you're suppose to receive Speed?
hornblowercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #1476
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblowercat
It has been my experience that from time to time certain channels seem to become available that I don't pay for. For example the NBA channel was available and I'm not suppose to get that. I've also seen things (not on the S3) where Showtime on Demand became available even though I don't subscribe to Showtime.Have you checked your list to make sure you're suppose to receive Speed?
Sounds like Free Previews to me.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #1477
DrWho453

TWC Raleigh

Is anyone else on the TWC raleigh experiencing problems with sound on channel 155 FoxReal? Its not a major problem for me since I have no reason to ever watch that channel but ever since it showed up as an additional channel, I have never been able to get audio on that channel. I was able to get audio by selecting the additional audio and selecting the second MPeg2 audio. The same day I got this channel, I also got the CW HD 222 channel except for the first couple of days, the video was blank but it started working on the third day so I thought maybe the sound on 155 would be fixed but to this day, I have no sound on 155 unless I switch audio selection. Again, this not a big deal to me since have no intentions of watching it but it just seems if the channel is available, there should be audio as well.
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #1478
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho453
Is anyone else on the TWC raleigh experiencing problems with sound on channel 155 FoxReal? Its not a major problem for me since I have no reason to ever watch that channel but ever since it showed up as an additional channel, I have never been able to get audio on that channel. I was able to get audio by selecting the additional audio and selecting the second MPeg2 audio. The same day I got this channel, I also got the CW HD 222 channel except for the first couple of days, the video was blank but it started working on the third day so I thought maybe the sound on 155 would be fixed but to this day, I have no sound on 155 unless I switch audio selection. Again, this not a big deal to me since have no intentions of watching it but it just seems if the channel is available, there should be audio as well.
Yup... Me Too... already corrosponded with TWC execs on it.

What are you trying to receive it with? TWC Cable box or cablecard device?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #1479
DrWho453

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Yup... Me Too... already corrosponded with TWC execs on it.

What are you trying to receive it with? TWC Cable box or cablecard device?
Using Series 3 with two cable cards
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #1480
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho453
Using Series 3 with two cable cards
Duh... I should have figured that... For a minute I thought I was in AVS forum instead of Tivo... so dumb question on my part...
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #1481
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecramer74
What is the word you are looking for, cable card 1.0 does not support 2 way coms. Its been stated over and over here that S3 will not handle new cable cards.

I was going on the assumption that this new tivo will in fact support the new cards. If they didnt, id be amazed.
That's a GIGANTIC assumption and one that has no basis in any information anyone has seen. Please tell us if you have such information, otherwise, prepare to be amazed.

Don't get me wrong, if TiVo comes out with a new box that will do 2-way, I'll buy 4 of them right now.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #1482
pmnick

Cable Box Power Off on TWC

I've been having problems with my Scientific American Explorer 3250 HD cable box unit. For some unknown, seemingly random reason, it powers off in the middle of the day. It happened today (3/11) between 4 and 5 p.m. I know this because everything before that time recorded, but everything after did not.

I know that the boxes will shut off in the event of a power failure, which is why I've connected my TiVo and cable boxes to a battery backup. But does anyone know why it would shut off like this in the middle of the day?

I use IR blasters to change channels which, of course, is useless if the box is off....

Is this something that Time Warner is doing in an attempt to induce people to purchase their DVRs? Are there any other boxes out there that don't have this problem?
Linksys WUSB11 v.2.6
Linksys BEFW11S4
pmnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #1483
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmnick
I've been having problems with my Scientific American Explorer 3250 HD cable box unit. For some unknown, seemingly random reason, it powers off in the middle of the day. It happened today (3/11) between 4 and 5 p.m. I know this because everything before that time recorded, but everything after did not.

I know that the boxes will shut off in the event of a power failure, which is why I've connected my TiVo and cable boxes to a battery backup. But does anyone know why it would shut off like this in the middle of the day?

I use IR blasters to change channels which, of course, is useless if the box is off....

Is this something that Time Warner is doing in an attempt to induce people to purchase their DVRs? Are there any other boxes out there that don't have this problem?

Simply take your box back to TW and get another one. It won't cost you anything. I have an HD non DVR box and I have no problem with it.

Not everything is a cable conspiracy. Just some things.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #1484
pmiranda

Quote:
I've had this problem before when they're rolling out updates to the boxes. It could just be you've got a bad box.

Because of this, and occasional power losses, I turned on the setting in the cable box that allows it to power on with any number entered on the remote. I haven't had any lost recordings on my series 1 since I did that.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #1485
davecramer74

Quote:
That's a GIGANTIC assumption and one that has no basis in any information anyone has seen. Please tell us if you have such information, otherwise, prepare to be amazed.
well i wont be amazed, i wont be buying one. it would be stupid of them to release a new one that doesnt support those features.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #1486
pmnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I've had this problem before when they're rolling out updates to the boxes. It could just be you've got a bad box.

Because of this, and occasional power losses, I turned on the setting in the cable box that allows it to power on with any number entered on the remote. I haven't had any lost recordings on my series 1 since I did that.
I've been trying to find such a setting, but no luck. Could you check your box and let me know where to locate it? Thought I searched everywhere, but in my anger (....) I might have missed it.

Thanks!
Linksys WUSB11 v.2.6
Linksys BEFW11S4
pmnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #1487
huskyla27

New to this Thread, Please help

I am going to be downgrading my HD DVR from time warner(It sucks) and getting just standard box from time warner los angeles. I want to buy a new tivo series 2 box. Is set up and reliability pretty good for using tivo with the Time warner boxes? I used to have replay tv and it rocked, but Tivo finally won me over. Thanks for the help
huskyla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #1488
pmiranda

Quote:
I've been trying to find such a setting, but no luck. Could you check your box and let me know where to locate it? Thought I searched everywhere, but in my anger (....) I might have missed it.
Thanks!
You might not have it. I actually have an old SA3100HD... no wonder I don't remember seeing it when I had a 3250 a couple years ago.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #1489
AgentMunroe

Arrow Premium channels missing from one CableCARD

So I signed up for HBO and Showtime about a week ago - none of the channels are SDV, and they all work fine on the TW HD DVR - but only on one out of my two cablecards. Situation is as follows:

Cablecard Slot 1 - Gets all channels (digital tier, HD tier, all Showtimes, all HBOs)
Cablecard Slot 2 - Gets digital tier, HD tier, but not Showtime or HBO

Looking at the Scientific Atlanta CP screen on slot 2 shows "CP Auth Received", a high ECM count but 0 on EMM. Both are non-zero on the CC in slot 1.

I already tried a "reset" of the cable boxes through the automated phone system - this did seem to affect the Cablecards as it sent the TiVo into "Acquiring Channels" mode, but didn't seem to actually help. My current belief is that the Cablecard is functioning fine, but it's either not being authorized by TW or isn't picking up its authorization, and I'd really like to avoid an appointment with a new CC. Should I try going through the "eject both cards, insert one at a time and run through guided setup each time" routine, or is that not likely to help my situation? If I call them, is there one thing in particular I should ask them to try?

It's especially frustrating because I'm sure if anyone over there knew what they were doing, it would take about 5 minutes to fix - but I have zero confidence in TW actually doing something properly with cablecards. Any help would be appreciated.
AgentMunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #1490
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
So I signed up for HBO and Showtime about a week ago - none of the channels are SDV, and they all work fine on the TW HD DVR - but only on one out of my two cablecards. Situation is as follows:

Cablecard Slot 1 - Gets all channels (digital tier, HD tier, all Showtimes, all HBOs)
Cablecard Slot 2 - Gets digital tier, HD tier, but not Showtime or HBO

Looking at the Scientific Atlanta CP screen on slot 2 shows "CP Auth Received", a high ECM count but 0 on EMM. Both are non-zero on the CC in slot 1.

I already tried a "reset" of the cable boxes through the automated phone system - this did seem to affect the Cablecards as it sent the TiVo into "Acquiring Channels" mode, but didn't seem to actually help. My current belief is that the Cablecard is functioning fine, but it's either not being authorized by TW or isn't picking up its authorization, and I'd really like to avoid an appointment with a new CC. Should I try going through the "eject both cards, insert one at a time and run through guided setup each time" routine, or is that not likely to help my situation? If I call them, is there one thing in particular I should ask them to try?

It's especially frustrating because I'm sure if anyone over there knew what they were doing, it would take about 5 minutes to fix - but I have zero confidence in TW actually doing something properly with cablecards. Any help would be appreciated.
Ejecting and going thru setup is very unlikely to help. Call the cableco and tell them to 'balance' your account. Your cablecards dont have the same 'entitlements'. Balancing fixes this. Given that its TWC, your local TWC website may have email addresses for your local execs. If you get no joy with the normal path, you could send your problem to your CS Exec and that might help get it fixed. It works great here. Our CS exec is great and very helpful.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #1491
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Ejecting and going thru setup is very unlikely to help. Call the cableco and tell them to 'balance' your account. Your cablecards dont have the same 'entitlements'. Balancing fixes this. Given that its TWC, your local TWC website may have email addresses for your local execs. If you get no joy with the normal path, you could send your problem to your CS Exec and that might help get it fixed. It works great here. Our CS exec is great and very helpful.
/changing the topic

I still get more pixelations than I'd expect after they re-did my splitter and installed an amp. Better but more than I'd think. And it's across two S3's so I don't think it's the TiVo. You think our local CS exec would be receptive if I contacted them about it or just try to blame my TiVos? I've been dreading calling normal CS and trying to find someone who'd understand the issue.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #1492
jacksonian

Quote:
I agree. I've had a couple of occasions where my HD pack got knocked off one or both of my cards. I called TWC and they can balance the account and hit the cards. I've had them tell me that they can't do that and try to send out a tech, but then a supervisor has called me the day of the visit and taken care of it over the phone.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #1493
gascantx

Note Tivo S3 + HD + TM-Autin

Hello,

I am a TimeWarner customer in Austin and I have two Tivo Series 2 DVRs. I would like to purchase a S3 Tivo but I want to know exactly what HD channels I can get with the Tivo S3 and TWC-Austin. Can someone in Austin who has an S3 Tivo and used TWC-Austin provide me with a list of HD channels that I would be able to receive?

Thanks,
Chris
gascantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #1494
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascantx
Hello,

I am a TimeWarner customer in Austin and I have two Tivo Series 2 DVRs. I would like to purchase a S3 Tivo but I want to know exactly what HD channels I can get with the Tivo S3 and TWC-Austin. Can someone in Austin who has an S3 Tivo and used TWC-Austin provide me with a list of HD channels that I would be able to receive?

Thanks,
Chris

I'm not trying to put you through any extra work but I have trouble using the search feature in this forum. However I would suggest you try searching in the S3 forum on SDV and Austin. I some someone had a complete list of what you can get and can't get with the S3.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #1495
pmiranda

Yep, in the "Official Time Warner" thread there are several of us in Austin that have S3's and CableCards. The only HD's I know you won't get are the two new channels, A&E HD and Music TV HD, and the HD video-on-demand (which never had anything worth watching when I did have a TW box). I don't subscribe to premiums so I just get TNT, Discovery, and all 4 locals in HD.

In non-HDs, I posted a list somewhere in that thread about what you can expect. Only channels I'm missing are Speed and one of the cartoon channels (the Disney one I think).
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #1496
Dave42

My S3 has been working flawlessly for the last week, except for one problem. All of a sudden, the MMI screen for one of the cablecards popped up on the screen while we were watching a recorded program, as if the CC had been ejected and reinserted. I just canceled out of the screen, and it reappeared a while later. I checked both tuners using the "Live TV" button and found that the S3 was trying to record some show on the ToonDisney digital channel but the channel was only appearing intermittently. I don't care about recording childrens' programming, so I just deleted several channels from my lineup. Although all seems to be well now (and all of my scheduled recordings have been fine), should I be concerned about that CC?
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #1497
MisterClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Yep, in the "Official Time Warner" thread there are several of us in Austin that have S3's and CableCards. The only HD's I know you won't get are the two new channels, A&E HD and Music TV HD, and the HD video-on-demand (which never had anything worth watching when I did have a TW box). I don't subscribe to premiums so I just get TNT, Discovery, and all 4 locals in HD.

In non-HDs, I posted a list somewhere in that thread about what you can expect. Only channels I'm missing are Speed and one of the cartoon channels (the Disney one I think).
I live in Austin and I was going to see about getting CableCards. However I think I will just keep getting the HD over the air. All I care about are the locals, and actually I can get CW (the new WB) in HD over the air, and for some reason Time Warner Austin does not carry that channel in HD.

Thanks you saved me a lot of effort.

MisterClown
MisterClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #1498
RogerRub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX
LA area: Called tonight at 10pm, and they're coming out on tuesday. $25 install fee, $1.75 a month for the card. They said they had no way in the computer to tell the installer to bring 2 cards out at the same time, so I'm supposed to bug the installer guy when he arrives and see if he has an extra on him.

Is there a Time Warner store near you? In NY, they let us walk in and pick up what we want.
RogerRub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #1499
MisterClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRub
Is there a Time Warner store near you? In NY, they let us walk in and pick up what we want.
I know that here is Austin, they do not allow you to pickup cable cards and install them yourself. You must pay the fee to have the truck come to your home.

It makes no sense to me that Time Warner does not have a consistent policy for this across the board.
MisterClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #1500
sdurgin
Mac user

Time Warner Cable exec ousted over poor pervice

FYI from the Los Angeles Times:

"Time Warner Cable Inc. forced out its chief cable guy in Southern California on Wednesday, but you may not want to throw that help number away just yet.

Roger Keating, head of Time Warner's regional office since 2003, was done in by an avalanche of complaints about Internet and e-mail outages, TV channel lineup changes and pressure to sign up for digital service. Customers were most annoyed by maddeningly long — and sometimes futile — waits to reach a human by phone."

Complete article:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,1853301.story
sdurgin is offline   Reply With Quote