TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #1441
lggarrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem
Your cards probably weren't authorized properly. Check the cable card diagnostic screens and see what they say.
Can you give me an idea of what to say to Time Warner Cable to get my cable cards authorized?

My cards say something like "Waiting for CP Auth" which I imagine means "Waiting for cable provider authorization."

I've called them four or five times. They've replaced the cards three times. I've pointed this information out to each technician and they've done nothing but shrugged and told me to wait a few hours.
lggarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #1442
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

They have to properly follow the installation instructions or else they will never work. The third installer they sent finally knew what he was doing and everyhting has been fine since then. A good installer will keep trying until the cards work properly.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #1443
lggarrison

Okay. Do you think I need the installer to come back? Or this is something I can do over the phone with a techncian?
lggarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #1444
bferrell
Now in HD!

Should be able to do it over the phone, I did, but I had to ask for "third-level support", as they were (apparently) the only ones that could pull this off, FWIW.

Brett
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #1445
Dave42

After reading many of the horror stories on this thread, I'm pleased to report a very pleasant experience with my CableCard installation.

After 13 years with DirecTV (my old RCA remote control still has a USSB channel lineup sticker on it) I switched to TWC because the Buffalo, NY NBC and CBS stations (which are not yet on DirecTV in HD) refused to grant an FCC waiver which would have allowed me to receive the network feeds from NYC.

I called TWC Customer Service twice and spoke to very knowlegeable and polite women. I asked for 2 CableCards and was told they required installation and would cost $4.95 each per month. Still cheaper than the DVR rental and DVR service, though.

I was given a 1-3PM window, and the tech arrived at 2PM. He asked where the TVs were, and I told him both cards were for a TiVO. He looked a little worried because he had only done a couple of CC installs, and never in anything but a TV.

I showed him the installation sheet that came with the S3. We followed the instructions exactly and made 2 phone calls. While he had to explain the situation to two different people who know nothing about the TiVo, all channels were up and running within 30 minutes from when he arrived.

It would be nice if the S3 provided some progress indicator when you insert the CC in the slot. When they say it will take a "few minutes" for the MMI screen to appear, they mean it!

The tech thanked me for the help. He said his previous CC service call had taken him 3-1/2 hours.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences so we can all benefit from them!

--Dave
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #1446
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42
After reading many of the horror stories on this thread, I'm pleased to report a very pleasant experience with my CableCard installation.

I called TWC Customer Service twice and spoke to very knowlegeable and polite women. I asked for 2 CableCards and was told they required installation and would cost $4.95 each per month.
--Dave
Dave - Look into your info from TW and see what the price says cable cards should be. I'm with TW West Valley (L.A.). After I called them, they reduced it and credited the install charge to appologize.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #1447
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt
Dave - Look into your info from TW and see what the price says cable cards should be. I'm with TW West Valley (L.A.). After I called them, they reduced it and credited the install charge to appologize.
And what *should* they be?

I'm going to call but would like to be prepared first.
This page says $1.75 per month:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal...cablecard.html

...but I think my bill says $6.95?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #1448
mercurial
Retro-Av

If you get it decoded, let me know. I have 4 CCs for my S3s and then two digital boxes (for my S2DTs) and with all the cable tiers we get plus Roadrunner.. plus digital phone... I need a team of international negotiators to decipher my bill...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #1449
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
If you get it decoded, let me know. I have 4 CCs for my S3s and then two digital boxes (for my S2DTs) and with all the cable tiers we get plus Roadrunner.. plus digital phone... I need a team of international negotiators to decipher my bill...
Here is a spreadsheet that works for TWC Raleigh....
Attached Files
File Type: zip TimeWarnerTV.zip (2.2 KB, 20 views)
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #1450
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Josh, my office charges $1.75 for the first cable card and $4.15 for additional cards.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #1451
Dave42

The Western New York web site quotes $4.95 each as the correct price, I'm afraid.

It's strange how inconsistent TW is.

--Dave
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #1452
hornblowercat

Quote:
Josh, my office charges $1.75 for the first cable card and $4.15 for additional cards.
Cheap, mine just went to 2.50 for the first card and 5.25 for the second.
hornblowercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #1453
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
And what *should* they be?

I'm going to call but would like to be prepared first.
This page says $1.75 per month:

...but I think my bill says $6.95?
OOPS - forgot to put in the price they said. It's $1.75 - as you found.
CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #1454
Jchfilms

Time Warner Cable is forcing me to buy a set top box for HD programming

I checked the time warner cable website and then called the sales department. The website states that I cannot purchase HD cable tv services without buying their (TW) HD digital receiver or HD DVR. I called to speak with Time Warner and they informed me over the phone that cablecards do not work with HD signals. They are trying in effect to force me into buying a receiver or DVR from them only. I called Tivo and spoke with customer support, I send a complaint to the FCC electronically, and I'm leaving this post as well. I just feel so frustrated by these big corporations that have no conscience. I want a series 3 tivo to record HD but from what Time Warner Cable represents on their website along with what they say on the phone, I can't use a series 3 Tivo for HD. SO why should I buy the Series 3 if it doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem? Is Time Warner lying to me? What should I do?
Jchfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #1455
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchfilms
I checked the time warner cable website and then called the sales department. The website states that I cannot purchase HD cable tv services without buying their (TW) HD digital receiver or HD DVR. I called to speak with Time Warner and they informed me over the phone that cablecards do not work with HD signals. They are trying in effect to force me into buying a receiver or DVR from them only. I called Tivo and spoke with customer support, I send a complaint to the FCC electronically, and I'm leaving this post as well. I just feel so frustrated by these big corporations that have no conscience. I want a series 3 tivo to record HD but from what Time Warner Cable represents on their website along with what they say on the phone, I can't use a series 3 Tivo for HD. SO why should I buy the Series 3 if it doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem? Is Time Warner lying to me? What should I do?
Where are you located? Rochester, by any chance?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html

You may be the victim of "SDV."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #1456
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
This is so weird. The SoCal page says it's $1.75 for the first CableCard, and some undetermined price for additionals: ("An addtional fee may apply for each additional outlet.")

But I am on the phone now with them, and they are telling me something totally different. At first they tried to say the "additional fee for each additional outlet" was why I was being charged $6.95 for each. I had to explain, slowly, what "each additional outlet" actually meant for them to understand the discrepancy. Bizarre, let me tell you...

Now they are telling me they will charge me $0 for the first, and $6.95 for the second. Still, it bothers me that this is different from what their website says, and what other SoCal customers (like KableModem) are being charged. Sure, it's only $1.05 more per month, but I'm bored, and it's the principle, you know?

I'm tempted to cut my losses, though, and just accept their "offer..."

Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #1457
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

On my bill the additional outlet fee is included in the charge for the second card. What stinks is I'll be paying an additional $8.30 for my second S3.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #1458
davecramer74

Time warner says SDV by years end. More HD!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tw030907.htm

Quote:
We will be rolling out Switched Digital Video (a new transmission technology) by the end of the year and that will allow us to offer a lot more channels. So to see the DIRECTV ads that tell consumers that they will have three times the number of channels as cable is not a factual statement...Competition is one thing but Time Warner was not prepared to accept that. I'm 100 percent confident that we will have as compelling a HD lineup as DIRECTV.

davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #1459
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecramer74
Time warner says SDV by years end. More HD!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tw030907.htm
This is just such a friggin joke. No way is TW going to roll out SDV to everyone in a year. How do I know that? They just bought all of Adelphia along with Comcast. In the deal they have actually acquired some of Comcast customers while Comcast has acquired theirs.

All these different cable systems all stem from smaller cable companies. No way can they do this by end of year.

And why is it that you continue to go around spreading the SDV fear into everybody. Is this your mission?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #1460
davecramer74

Quote:
And why is it that you continue to go around spreading the SDV fear into everybody. Is this your mission?
I posted it means more HD channels! How do you know your not getting more channels in hd?? Im sorry you fear SDV, i welcome it. Anything that means more HD then woohoo! I just wish comcast would make similar announcements.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #1461
hornblowercat

Quote:
I posted it means more HD channels! How do you know your not getting more channels in hd?? Im sorry you fear SDV, i welcome it. Anything that means more HD then woohoo!

Cut the bs, dave. That's not what you're about and you know it. You know just as well as I do what SDV means. And it doesn't mean more HD channels for S3 users. I've read enough of your threads to know where your coming from. Why you've decided to sing this hip hip hooray song I don't know, but I don't believe your serious.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #1462
davecramer74

I posted a good read off tvpredictions.com. Whether you like the news or not, i dont care. Anyway you look at it, its great news. Its more HDTV. Especially with the new mass market tivo boxes coming out. Your sig is right, it doesnt mean the end of tivo. Im excited about their new boxes. Hopefully they do vod, etc.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #1463
hornblowercat

Quote:
I posted a good read off tvpredictions.com. Whether you like the news or not, i dont care. Anyway you look at it, its great news. Its more HDTV. Especially with the new mass market tivo boxes coming out. Your sig is right, it doesnt mean the end of tivo. Im excited about their new boxes. Hopefully they do vod, etc.

I read the article. I apologize for suspecting your motives. I also wonder is this the same davecramer?

She does mention using VOD for additional HD which could explain a quicker addition of HD channels without using SDV. That still wouldn't mean more additional HD channels for S3 users.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #1464
davecramer74

Well, my tune has changed with tivo stating they are doing new hardware and new hardware at a reasonable price. thats good news for s3 early adopters. If these new boxes do handle 2 way coms, you can get one for half of what you paid for your s3 and have the best of both worlds. A tivo with a bigass hard drive and a tivo for whatever you cant get on sdv. id be pretty damn happy now if i was an s3 owner. theres no reason to fear sdv now, your going to have an alternative and it will be a full blown tivo product.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #1465
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well, my tune has changed with tivo stating they are doing new hardware and new hardware at a reasonable price. thats good news for s3 early adopters. If these new boxes do handle 2 way coms, you can get one for half of what you paid for your s3 and have the best of both worlds. A tivo with a bigass hard drive and a tivo for whatever you cant get on sdv. id be pretty damn happy now if i was an s3 owner. theres no reason to fear sdv now, your going to have an alternative and it will be a full blown tivo product.
I presume you're talking about this article:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivohd030807.htm

Why wouldn't you be able to put a bigass hard drive in the new (reasonably priced) TiVo?

I don't want two TiVos. I want one Now Playing list that displays everything, regardless of source.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #1466
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
And where was that stated?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #1467
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I posted a link directly above yours, merc... but there's nothing concrete in there. Just regret over pricing and missed opportunities, and an expressed goal for a cheaper box to come out soon.

I'd like to get an official word/strategy from TiVo on the SDV issue.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #1468
davecramer74

Quote:
Why wouldn't you be able to put a bigass hard drive in the new (reasonably priced) TiVo?
well your hd is twice the size of mine stock is what i meant.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #1469
davecramer74

Quote:
I'd like to get an official word/strategy from TiVo on the SDV issue.
What is the word you are looking for, cable card 1.0 does not support 2 way coms. Its been stated over and over here that S3 will not handle new cable cards.

I was going on the assumption that this new tivo will in fact support the new cards. If they didnt, id be amazed.

Quote:
Two proposals exist for enhancing the CableCARD standard. Both are designed to add support for two way features whose operation details the CE and cable company representatives could not agree on in time for inclusion in the CableCARD 1.0 specification. These two way features include ordering Pay-per-view via remote, Video On Demand, advanced electronic programming guide information, and Switched Video services. These features are not available on existing CableCARD 1.0 enabled products.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #1470
Jchfilms

Still don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Where are you located? Rochester, by any chance?

You may be the victim of "SDV."
I live/work in Venice California. The TW sales person stated" I don't recommend the cable cards, they are unreliable. You must purchase and lease a TW HD Digital receiver or TW HD DVR to receive HD signals. I think that sounds like a monopoly. What should I do?
Jchfilms is offline   Reply With Quote