TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #1411
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor
The last one gets authorization, but givens a message that's something like "PROGRAM_KEY_MISSING." It receives the digital channels that are broadcast int he clear, but not the encrypted ones.
I have Comcast, but when I got that status on one card, I asked the CSR send an "Initialize" signal to the card. This is a different kind of "hit" than the one they usually do, and I had to insist on that particular kind of hit. After a few minutes, it changed to the OK state (I don't recall the name, but it is obvious when you see it). YMMV with TW.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #1412
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
I have Comcast, but when I got that status on one card, I asked the CSR send an "Initialize" signal to the card. This is a different kind of "hit" than the one they usually do, and I had to insist on that particular kind of hit. After a few minutes, it changed to the OK state (I don't recall the name, but it is obvious when you see it). YMMV with TW.
Ah, thanks for that info. I guess I'll try that one again tonight. Maybe I'll only have to swap out 3 cards.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #1413
jeni1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Just the cable cards... they'll send a TWC tech to install them.
Hmm, the guy at Tivo said I need to get the receiver and the cards. But he also sounded like he didn't know much.

I'm trying desperately to decide whether to buy a TiVo or just use the TWC DVR. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I have a DirecTiVo now which I love but can't get southern exposure in my new apartment.
jeni1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #1414
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni1888
I'm trying desperately to decide whether to buy a TiVo or just use the TWC DVR. Anyone have any words of wisdom? I have a DirecTiVo now which I love but can't get southern exposure in my new apartment.
If you're used to the TiVo interface, you'll want to kill yourself after using the TWC DVR.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #1415
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor
If you're used to the TiVo interface, you'll want to kill yourself after using the TWC DVR.
That's a wee bit strong.

My wife got the TWC DVR (running Passport) after almost three years with a TiVo when our HDTiVo gave up the ghost while I'm living on the other side of the country.

She said it definitely isn't a TiVo, and it did take awhile to find all the screens, but she's mostly used to it now. The Passport software doesn't have some of the advanced features of a TiVo (wishlists, suggestions, etc.) but for basic DVRness it's not too bad.

My suggestion. Rent the TWC box for a month or two and see what happens. The experience may convince you that the S3 is really worth $800, but you won't know until you try.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #1416
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
That's a wee bit strong.

My suggestion. Rent the TWC box for a month or two and see what happens. The experience may convince you that the S3 is really worth $800, but you won't know until you try.
Good idea !! I had trouble with TiVo3 at first, so having the TW DVD was a lifesaver (show saver.) I still have it because hubby prefers it for his programs.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #1417
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
And did a bunch of resets.... I gained one new channel (TNTHD)! But they agree'd to send a "cablecard knowledge-able" technician out on Wednesday morning with some extra cable cards. At this point I am convinced that either the cablecards are faulty or there is something wrong with the pairing....and there is no SDV here (they don't offer on-demand in this area) If I can hack away at it with a phone support rep, and get an additional channel... there has got to be a way to get all of them.

I need to figure out how I'm going to mount a big outdoor antenna on the top of my two story house, and route the cable down. If TWC can get me the 5 missing channels, and I can get the major networks clearly with an outdoor antenna. I'll be satisfied for now....then if DirecTV truly offers 100s of HD channels, I'll consider the switch when that becomes a reality.
So the technician came out today, and he insisted that the HD Plus Tier on the TWC system here in El Centro, CA channels does not work with CableCards. He claims to have done the install on TVs and Tivos with the same problem. Anyway... I convinced him to swap out my cards, and authorize new ones.... He did it in about five minutes, and as he predicted, the HD Plus tier channels did not show up (except for TNTHD which started appearing this weekend...which seems to continuously loop "Law & Order").

At this point I've pretty much decided to switch to another technology rather than having to deal with the TWC Cablecard limitations and lack of HD programming problems I've had since the beginning. My neighbor has over 15 HD channels now through his DirecTV system plus all of the major networks in HD through an outdoor antenna (but he had to tear apart his walls to get it installed properly). I will probably wait until DirecTV launches their new mpeg-4 based system, and I can confirm that I can use multiple units with a single coax cable and get more than the 5 HD channels I currently get thru TWC + the Tivo S3.....

I'm paying $50/month more just to have the three premium channels packages, another $15/month for the Motorola box that I'm using upstairs, plus about $5/month for the HD Plus tier that I can only use on their Motorola box....plus the basic cable charge of $50/month and a bunch of misc fees (although high speed Internet Access is bundled in)... my bill is $150/month with all the taxes and fees not to mention the $13/month for the Tivo service.. That would get me a great Netflix membership....or a lot of Amazon Unbox. My neighbor pays $100 for 3 DirecTV receivers (1 HD), and an HD DVR....and just about all the channels....

I have been frustrated with this whole experience. I feel like a jumped the gun too early on S3 + HDTV technology. I've paid a premium to be an early adopter. If I would have stayed with a Series 2, I'd have Tivo2Go and multiple networkable units...and basically the same programming choices I current have.

Last edited by rlay : 02-22-2007 at 12:54 AM.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #1418
BruceShultes

rlay,

You will not be able to get DirecTV HD service through a single cable.

There are four cables from the satellite dish to the distribution unit that is usually mounted on the side of your house.

Then there are two cables from that distribution unit to each of the DirecTV HD boxes you have in your house.

I currently have the mpeg2 box (HR10-250), but from what I have read there is no difference in cabling requirements for the mpeg4 box (HR20-700).
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #1419
Cajun Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Man
Howdy, I am another Rochesterian who owns an S3, and I am about to request a pair of CableCards -- and hi-def service -- from Time Warner. If TW cannot/will not provide all HD channels via CC, I will be filing a complaint with the FCC as well.

I will provide an update once I have upgraded my service...
I am happy to report that, thanks to TiVo's 8.1.1 software upgrade combined with a CableCard software upgrade deployed by TimeWarner, I am a satisfied customer here in Rochester NY.

Audio is now present on channel 1016 ("The CW"), and my premium HD channels (HDNET, HDNET Movies and ESPNHD -- channels 1050, 1051 and 1052) are no longer deauthorized once a week or so.

My only complaint? A few channels are not available via CableCard. Namely A&EHD, MTVHD and UNVHD. (Presumably these are being provided via SDV?) But now that the other issues have been resolved, I am willing to tolerate a few missing channels...at least for a few months.

p.s. The one local HD channel missing from TW's lineup -- Fox -- was added a few weeks ago, on channel 1007.

Last edited by Cajun Man : 02-27-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Cajun Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #1420
Peter000

Last night, I turned on my TiVo and it said "Cablecard firmware update in progress." It said it would take approximately 40 min. I let it sit overnight, and it was still showing it as of 2 this afternoon, so I rebooted... for a few moments, my channels showed up, but then went back to the same message.

Anyone else with this issue today?

:sigh: Off to be put on hold.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #1421
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000
Last night, I turned on my TiVo and it said "Cablecard firmware update in progress." It said it would take approximately 40 min. I let it sit overnight, and it was still showing it as of 2 this afternoon, so I rebooted... for a few moments, my channels showed up, but then went back to the same message.

Anyone else with this issue today?

:sigh: Off to be put on hold.
When my cable cards were first being installed, one of them worked fine while the second was hung on "Cablecard firmware update in progress".

I checked the manufacture date on the cable cards and discovered that the one having problems was older that the one that worked. After I described the problem, my cable company just replaced the older card with one that had the same date as the one which worked.

Since then at least one firmware update has been done with no problems.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #1422
smc

Since I been kind of a voyager on this topic I thought I would share my experience with Time Warner Cable.

After receiving my Tivo I went down to my local cable office to pickup a couple of cards. I mean that’s what I thought I would do. But when I got there I was told that I had pay $29 to have someone come out and “plug” them into my Tivo! I just could not understand why I must pay someone to come out to “plug-in” two cards into my Tivo, after all I swapped cable boxes before. I ask the rep why can’t I just pick them up and try them myself, she said, “I don’t know you have to ask the installer”.

So I scheduled an appointment, she wanted me to take a 9am to 7pm weekday appointment but I said no, and told her I’ll wait till you can get me a confirmed time. She did and all was well, so I thought.

It stilled bothered me that I was paying $29 for a service I felt I didn’t need. After all how hard could it be to “plug-in” a card? And if it was hard it was because of their process/hardware not mine! So I filed a compliant with the PUC. Well two days later a lady from TW called and said she had my compliant and the she would waive the install charge, and that they would be out Thursday morning between the hours of 8 and 10am for the install.

TW changed the time to a 9am to 7pm appointment and didn’t tell me! After wasting a ˝ day waiting for TW to show up, I called and ask to speak to a supervisor, I just wanted to make sure that the next appointment was scheduled correctly. I was told they were all too busy to take my call, that one would call me right back. After trying several times to get a supervisor on the phone, and each time I was told they would call back at least by 10pm, that’s when they go home. At 9:45pm I called back and was put on hold till 10pm then hung up on!

So on Friday I:

1. Called the corporate office to find out the fax number to the CEO and who I could contact in California
2. Wrote a letter and faxed it to Time Warner’s Customer Care Advocate
3. Sent a copy of the letter to the CEO of Time Warner Cable
4. Filed a complaint with the CPUC
5. Emailed the local franchise authority

By Monday afternoon I got three phone calls, two from their president office. They apologized to me and said they are putting in place a system by next month they will help prevent what happened to me. They also scheduled an appointment for today between 8am and 10am.

Well three cable guys showed up, one of which was the supervisor. They installed the cable cards and all is well!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #1423
cdp1276

Quote:
My only complaint? A few channels are not available via CableCard. Namely A&EHD, MTVHD and UNVHD. (Presumably these are being provided via SDV?) But now that the other issues have been resolved, I am willing to tolerate a few missing channels...at least for a few months.
Yes, those are SDV and you can see them all listed here:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html

Shame you were having those problems. I've been up on the S3 with CableCard's here for along time without issue.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #1424
jsshattuck

One works, the other doesn't

I have a strange problem. In December I had 2 cablecards (SA) installed in my new S3. One card installed in CableCard 1 slot receives all stations, the one installed in CableCard 2 cannot display stations above 281. Since I rarely record stations above 281, I have sort of ignored the problem. I am deathly afraid that TW will screw up both slots if they come back.

We tried 6 cards in CableCard 2 slot, and none of them worked perfectly, some didn't display any HD channels, the best was one that displays the first 10 HD channels, but as stated none above 281.

Is it TiVo or the CableCard? Please advise!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsshattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #1425
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276
Yes, those are SDV and you can see them all listed here:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html
As a new S3 owner with TimeWarner, I can honestly say that is the scariest and most depressing web page I have seen in many months.

This is the page for my area (SoCal) and it's not any more encouraging.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #1426
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsshattuck
I have a strange problem. In December I had 2 cablecards (SA) installed in my new S3. One card installed in CableCard 1 slot receives all stations, the one installed in CableCard 2 cannot display stations above 281. Since I rarely record stations above 281, I have sort of ignored the problem. I am deathly afraid that TW will screw up both slots if they come back.

We tried 6 cards in CableCard 2 slot, and none of them worked perfectly, some didn't display any HD channels, the best was one that displays the first 10 HD channels, but as stated none above 281.

Is it TiVo or the CableCard? Please advise!
Unfortunately, your post doesn't provide enough information to start to figure out what's going on. When tuned to a problem channel, what does the cablecard screens say? What does the S3 diagnostics screen say?

Also, in general, channel number isn't a useful bit of debugging information for cablecards. All channel numbers are virtual, so if it's something signal or hardware related, the frequency of the channel is more important.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #1427
Peter000

Update on my cablecard problem... I futzed with it, and finally tried my cards one at a time in slot 1. Seems one of them just doesn't want to accept a firmware update and hangs. So right now I'm running with one cablecard until a service call from TW Friday afternoon.

It took me two calls to get a service call scheduled. WTF? The first call merely "escalated" my problem with a promise to "call me back." I'm really disappointed with TW lately. Basically I have no choice though.

And I'm pretty disappointed with the crippled CC service. It really wasn't worth it to get a TiVo.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #1428
Cajun Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000
Update on my cablecard problem... I futzed with it, and finally tried my cards one at a time in slot 1. Seems one of them just doesn't want to accept a firmware update and hangs. So right now I'm running with one cablecard until a service call from TW Friday afternoon.
Just out of curiosity...do your CCs have a date printed on them? If so, would you mind sharing them?

I ask because I found that CCs with dates earlier than 2006 did not work with either my S3, or my CC-capable Sony TV. So after some initial trial-and-error over the course of two technician visits, I called TW back and specifically asked that the technician bring back CCs dated no earlier than 2006. This ultimately solved the issue.

Whether those earlier cards had slightly different hardware, or simply had older firmware, I do not know. Regardless, the newer cards solved the issue.

Quote:
And I'm pretty disappointed with the crippled CC service. It really wasn't worth it to get a TiVo.
Once you get a pair of CCs that work, you might find that CC service is not so bad after all.

p.s. TimeWarner recently deployed updated firmware to field-deployed CCs here in Rochester, in case anyone is interested in such info. The software build date is now May 10 2006, while it was formerly May 2 2005 -- at least in the three CCs I have.
Cajun Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #1429
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:

p.s. TimeWarner recently deployed updated firmware to field-deployed CCs here in Rochester, in case anyone is interested in such info. The software build date is now May 10 2006, while it was formerly May 2 2005 -- at least in the three CCs I have.
Here in Columbus Ohio the Scientific Atlanta CC's that I have from Time Warner Mid-Ohio are the May 2, 2005's. I wonder what they changed?

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #1430
AgentMunroe

Relatively happy with Cablecards in Rochester, NY, at least for now... It was like pulling teeth trying to get somebody to actually put it on a work order and schedule an appointment (including an entire "scheduled" appointment that they no-showed), but despite that and some minor troubles installing them the Series3 is happy for now, SDV be damned. (Helpful hint: If one Cablecard slot stops responding, reboot the TiVo. Also, if one Cablecard appears not to be tuning any channels, go into the diagnostics menu and futz around, then go back to the test area... that solved it for me.)

Quick question: Does anybody's S3 in Rochester pick up the digital simulcasts of the channels? I gather from this page on TW's site I should be getting them, but I'm still getting record quality settings on basic channels (Discovery, Comedy Central, TBS, etc.). Does this just not currently work properly with the Cablecard, or is there something else at play here? EDIT: Woops, just realized it says right there on the Cablecard page that digital simulcasts are SDV only. Never mind.

Lastly, should I be recording locals OTA, or off cable? I'm thinking the bitrate OTA is higher, so I'm sticking with that... but if there's not much of a difference, I might decommission the antenna just to clean up the living room area a bit.

Last edited by AgentMunroe : 03-01-2007 at 03:37 PM.
AgentMunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #1431
BruceShultes

OTA is a given person's decision.

I am a TW customer in Albany, NY. My OTA reception is much better that that from TW. There is less pixellation and less loss of sound OTA than on TW.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #1432
stevenkriege
stevenkriege

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
I'm a new TWC customer in So. Calif. I pre-wired RG-6 cabling to a central point inside my home and connected them to a powered CATV distribution system. I then ran a main line to TWC's interface box.

My install called for 4 CableCards (2 ea. for 3 S3s), 2 TWC DVRs and a set-top box. When the installer showed up yesterday , he only had 2 CableCards because he misread the order. Plus, he was completely overwhelmed by my setup.

He said it wouldn't work that way but agreed to try it anyway. He proceeded to do the install. He was surprised that the signal levels tested fine. He didn't seem to understand that my distribution system is essentially a lossless splitter, designed for CATV (Channelplus).

He said his boss would not let him insert CableCards in anything other than a TV, so I did it, per the Tivo directions. Both cards initialized just fine in the S3 and after re-running guided setup, everything was fine--all channels coming in.

I told him about this site so he can familiarize himself with TWC/CableCard experience is across the nation. He was very thankful. Today, a different, much more knowledeable installer installed the 2 CableCards in my second S3. gain, everything went fine.

I checked the cable signal levels from the S3s menu and got readings in the high 90s. So far, so good.

BTW, the CableCards are Motorolas.
So if you setup basically the cable version of a powered multi-switch typically used for satellite whole-house distribution?
stevenkriege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #1433
BigMaxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
Lastly, should I be recording locals OTA, or off cable? I'm thinking the bitrate OTA is higher, so I'm sticking with that... but if there's not much of a difference, I might decommission the antenna just to clean up the living room area a bit.

I think it's highly debatable. Some folks swear OTA is better, others see no difference. I really think it depends on how much of a videophile you are.

So your happy with your S3 even with SDV? That's good news there is a lot of paranoia around the forum these days because of SDV. I know Rochester is one of the areas that uses it full blown.
BigMaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1434
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkriege
So if you setup basically the cable version of a powered multi-switch typically used for satellite whole-house distribution?
Yes.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #1435
stevenkriege
stevenkriege

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
Yes.
What is the cable version of the multi-switch officially called? A really big splitter? I am just curious, as I didn't know this was possible with a cable connection.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #1436
stevenkriege
stevenkriege

Cable Card Dropped Channel Issues in Los Angeles?

Hey all -

I just recently had my Tivo Series 3 HD DVR setup with TW cable cards, and I have a peculiar issues occuring. There are both SD and HD channels missing, even though they are part of my cable package. The channel is listed in the program guide, however when I select the channel there is just a black screen.

From what I have read, the issue seems to be specific to where you are located (TW coverage seems to be inconsistent). Anyone have this issue in the Los Angeles area?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #1437
stevenkriege
stevenkriege

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
What does this have to do with the Series 3?
I have the same issue with the S3 and two TW Cable Cards. Both HD and SD stations.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #1438
pkscout

Quote:
What is the cable version of the multi-switch officially called? A really big splitter? I am just curious, as I didn't know this was possible with a cable connection.
It's just a powered distribution center. Basically a splitter with power to amplify the signal back to a reasonable rate after being split so many times.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #1439
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Hey all -

I just recently had my Tivo Series 3 HD DVR setup with TW cable cards, and I have a peculiar issues occuring. There are both SD and HD channels missing, even though they are part of my cable package. The channel is listed in the program guide, however when I select the channel there is just a black screen.

From what I have read, the issue seems to be specific to where you are located (TW coverage seems to be inconsistent). Anyone have this issue in the Los Angeles area?
Your cards probably weren't authorized properly. Check the cable card diagnostic screens and see what they say.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #1440
A J Ricaud

Quote:
This is the one I use; use Google to get the best price if you want one:

http://www.channelplus.com/product_d...p?productId=57
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote