TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #1381
rjgibson0066

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066
I will keep searching, but would appreciate any advice on my install.

SOME DIGITAL CHANNELS, BUT NOT ALL (AND NOT MY FAVORITES)

I get all the regular (analog) channels and a few of the digital channels, such as local HD and Discovery HD. However, I don't get the normal digital channels, such as the Outdoor Channel, Speed, any of the premium movies channels (HBO and Showtime), and the some other HD channels (ESPN HD, IMHD). Both cards get and don't get the exact same channels.

Larry "The Cable Guy" had never done a cablecard install, however he was very accomodating and followed all the directions - although he had to go outside to make calls to activate the cards due to poor cell reception at my house - therefore I did not overhear him reciting the cards' serial numbers - but we both checked and doubled checked our written notes when installing the cards.

He left after "dispatch" told him it may take 1-4 hours for all the channels to download. However, it has been close of 2-3 hours and nothing has changed.

I did re-run of set-up, and did identify in the set-up process the second time, my premium channels (HBO and Showtime), however nothing changed.

Strangely, both before starting my second set-up process and after the second set-up process was complete, I received an error message saying there was a change to a cablecard and set-up needed to be re-run.

I didn't re-run set-up a third time because I saw this message before the starting the second set-up process, so figured that wouldn't be the solution.

Lastly, we only tried/used two cablecards as they partially worked. Further, I never re-booted (powered on/off) the TIVO unit since the install - which I will try shortly.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Bump - I am in Dayton, OH.
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #1382
cdp1276

Anyone know the best process to move 2 TW CableCards from one S3 and get working in another S3? As in what to say to the CSR over the phone so I don't need a service visit and can do this quickly.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #1383
moritzes

Sounds like your account is not "balanced" -- i.e., TW has not told its computers that you are entitled to more than basic cable on your cablecards. Call up CS and ask them to balance your account.
moritzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #1384
moritzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moritzes
Sounds like your account is not "balanced" -- i.e., TW has not told its computers that you are entitled to more than basic cable on your cablecards. Call up CS and ask them to balance your account.
This was for rjgibson0066.
moritzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #1385
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokyq
My cable provider is TWC and I am in the DFW area.

When I had cablecards installed on my new S3, I started missing channels because TWC moved HDNet, ESPN HD and Universal HD to a new HD Tier. They did not announce the change and it appears they only have been killing those channels when you call for service. Once I noticed the channels were missing later that night I called TWC and then they explained those channels now had an extra cost. When I told them to activate them, that is when the problem started.

When they activated the HD Tier, ESPN HD and HDNet would not come in. After several calls, they sent a tech over, who took the cards out, wrote down the serial numbers, Data and host addresses, called TWC central, had the cards divorced (un-paired), and then re-pairing them. This process resolved the problem in 2 of 3 cards. He exchanged the cablecard, re-paired and problem was resolved.
This is the same problem I have been living with for 6 months. I don't get the HD Tier channels on the S3 (HDNET, ESPN HD, and the recently added TNT HD, UHD, etc.) I was beginning to think that they were on a on the incompatible "switched" network... They claim that the systems have been changing ever since Time Warner took over Adelphia.

Do you know how they went about unpairing the cards? The dispatch never needed anything other than the serial number of the cards...even when I forced them to use the host ID, etc.

Since then, every time I've called they say that if the channels work on the Motorola box, then they are simply not compatible with the cable cards. There were a bunch of botched cable card installs at first, and when I finally got most of my channels I decided to live with it (given that I had a Motorola box upstairs).

With the ads for DirectV claiming 200+ HD channels in a few months, this issue might mean me switching if I don't get this resolved. Also, I'm getting a lot more over-the-air HD channels than what the cable company is providing (they only provide FOX...and I can get NBC, FOX, CBS, and some Mexican HD stations with a cheap Terk indoor antenna). I am contemplating putting in a big external anntenna to get them with less dropouts and even get a few more stations.

Should I ask them to swap the cable cards out? I had some bad ones originally. They ran out of stock at one point. We even went without digital channels for a while because of all these problems.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #1386
cokyq

rlay,

read my posts #1360 & 1371 where I explain my problem and how it was solved.

TWC would not let me provide the card serial, host and data addresses. THey sent a tech to do this. Glad they did, because he ended up exchanging one of the cards.
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #1387
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
With the ads for DirectV claiming 200+ HD channels
To be fair, I've heard "100+" and I've also heard that number includes all the locals for every region. IOW, you wouldn't have access to that amount of new HD channels. And now that there was some satellite explosion, apparently that may have put some crimp into the launch schedule, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #1388
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
To be fair, I've heard "100+" and I've also heard that number includes all the locals for every region. IOW, you wouldn't have access to that amount of new HD channels. And now that there was some satellite explosion, apparently that may have put some crimp into the launch schedule, too.
My sister today has over 50 HD channels coming through her DirecTV equipment, including locals and premium channels....even HD versions of MTV and other basic tier channels...plus more HD movie channels and PPV....Sure, there is an OTA antenna on her dish, but at least it's all integrated and working. I have only 4 HD channels coming through TWC+Tivo, 12 with TWC+Motorola box, and 5 more OTA (on the Tivo with a small indoor antenna). I thought getting cable was supposed to improve reception....and we are paying about the same as my sister for the "Ultimate" package.

Now the DirecTV ads say they're adding more HD channels...and I am stuck losing channels through TWC with SDV and the Tivo (or whatever the problem is). I've wasted too much time with TWC (at least 5 days waiting for techs and hours on hold with tech support, bad cable cards, etc.) trying to get the Tivo to get all available HD channels and getting nothing but "It's not our problem" from TWC after it's all said and done.

The Tivo user interface, the added cost of getting the dish installed & wired, and the bundled broadband are what's keeping me on the cable bandwagon. As things like the single cable dish and those additional channels get rolled out...it's going to be harder to resist switching....even if TWC is able to fix those 8 HD missing channels on the Tivo.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #1389
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
My sister today has over 50 HD channels coming through her DirecTV equipment, including locals and premium channels....even HD versions of MTV and other basic tier channels...plus more HD movie channels and PPV....Sure, there is an OTA antenna on her dish, but at least it's all integrated and working. I have only 4 HD channels coming through TWC+Tivo, 12 with TWC+Motorola box, and 5 more OTA (on the Tivo with a small indoor antenna). I thought getting cable was supposed to improve reception....and we are paying about the same as my sister for the "Ultimate" package.

Now the DirecTV ads say they're adding more HD channels...and I am stuck losing channels through TWC with SDV and the Tivo (or whatever the problem is). I've wasted too much time with TWC (at least 5 days waiting for techs and hours on hold with tech support, bad cable cards, etc.) trying to get the Tivo to get all available HD channels and getting nothing but "It's not our problem" from TWC after it's all said and done.

The Tivo user interface, the added cost of getting the dish installed & wired, and the bundled broadband are what's keeping me on the cable bandwagon. As things like the single cable dish and those additional channels get rolled out...it's going to be harder to resist switching....even if TWC is able to fix those 8 HD missing channels on the Tivo.
Some things to think about. First, most of those HD channels are going to be mpeg 4 so that's compressed HD. That means quality loss. Second how much recording do you do on all those other stations. I do 97% of my recording on big 4 networks, two shows on the CW and usually at least one all year long on FX and HBO.

But if having all that is important to you, by all means switch. To be honest I would have switched just prior to the S3 release but I do not have a clear line of sight.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #1390
cokyq

From the junk mail I've been getting, it appears DISH has the bigger number of HD channels, not DirecTV. Cable certainly is way behind.
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #1391
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Some things to think about. First, most of those HD channels are going to be mpeg 4 so that's compressed HD. That means quality loss. Second how much recording do you do on all those other stations. I do 97% of my recording on big 4 networks, two shows on the CW and usually at least one all year long on FX and HBO.

But if having all that is important to you, by all means switch. To be honest I would have switched just prior to the S3 release but I do not have a clear line of sight.
Three of my big four channels come in only in SD through TWC...and crappy SD on some as well (ghosting on ABC). I get FOX in HD through TWC, and it has drop outs (lines blotches on the screen during even still scenes). I get NBC, CBS, FOX, and occasionally ABC in HD through a cheap OTA Terk powered indoor antenna....all with a lot of drop out (and between 30-60% signal strength). I'm fairly certain if I put up a big outdoor antenna it will fix that (my neighbor has a DirecTV system with the antenna on the dish, and he doesn't have those problems with the OTA channels...he even gets PBS from San Diego). I live about 20 miles from the border, but I get a few Mexican stations strongly...and I even saw the Superbowl this year in Spanish, with a lot better quality than the locals and no dropout.

I don't understand why TWC doesn't broadcast the all the OTA HD channels in my area. If they did that, I probably would be more reluctant to change.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #1392
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Some things to think about. First, most of those HD channels are going to be mpeg 4 so that's compressed HD. That means quality loss.
Quality loss??? HDTV's current comperession scheme is mpeg2. Mpeg4 in the same channel size/bandwidth provides BETTER quality than mpeg2. Mpeg4 is a more efficient codec than mpeg2. However, a provider may choose to keep the PQ the same and use mpeg4's benefits to reduce the bandwidth requirements and stuff more stuff into a given channel.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 02-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #1393
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Quality loss??? Current HD comperession scheme is mpeg2. Mpeg4 in the same channel size/bandwidth provides BETTER quality than mpeg2. Mpeg4 is a more efficient codec than mpeg2.
That is not what I hear from people locally receiving D*. They may have fixed it but I heard there were all kinds of problems. And the whole reason they went to Mpeg4 was to save on bandwith, so that can't be right.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #1394
A J Ricaud

Quote:
That is not what I hear from people locally receiving D*. They may have fixed it but I heard there were all kinds of problems. And the whole reason they went to Mpeg4 was to save on bandwith, so that can't be right.
Most posts I have read involving side-by-side comparisons of Directv's HR10-250 (MPEG-2) vs. HR 20-700 (MPEG-4) indicate either virtually no difference in perceived video quality; or, a slightly better picture with the HR20--probably due to it being a newer product.

The problems you refer to are mostly related to the DVR itself, and not due to the MPEG scheme.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #1395
SCSIRAID

Quote:
There are multiple variables in play. Your statment that mpeg4 is poorer quality seemed to imply that you believed that HDTV is uncompressed or that mpeg4 was a poorer codec than mpeg2 which is not true. HDTV uses mpeg2 (ota and cable and most sat). The fact is that mpeg4 is a more efficient codec. That means that a given stream can be compressed more without quality loss or from another perspective, you can get better PQ for a given bandwidth. That gives the provider several choices as they move to mpeg4 from mpeg2. 1) Keep the quality the same but consume less bandwith and stuff more in the same 'channel'. 2) Keep the bandwidth the same and get better PQ. 3) a blend of 1 and 2. I dont have sat so I dont know what they are going to do. They could even reduce PQ even more if they chose to.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #1396
rlay

Called TWC

And did a bunch of resets.... I gained one new channel (TNTHD)! But they agree'd to send a "cablecard knowledge-able" technican out on Wednesday morning with some extra cable cards. At this point I am convinced that either the cablecards are faulty or there is something wrong with the pairing....and there is no SDV here (they don't offer on-demand in this area) If I can hack away at it with a phone support rep, and get an additional channel... there has got to be a way to get all of them.

I need to figure out how I'm going to mount a big outdoor antenna on the top of my two story house, and route the cable down. If TWC can get me the 5 missing channels, and I can get the major networks clearly with an outdoor antenna. I'll be satisfied for now....then if DirecTV truly offers 100s of HD channels, I'll consider the switch when that becomes a reality.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1397
cdp1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276
Anyone know the best process to move 2 TW CableCards from one S3 and get working in another S3? As in what to say to the CSR over the phone so I don't need a service visit and can do this quickly.
Everyone seems to run away from this question and never answer. But I went ahead and did this today. I thought I would tell you that of course the telephone CSR can only send an initialize hit to the cards. They can't do a repair and simply update my host ID's they have so I can receive the CP Auth. I just keep sitting in a "Waiting for CP Auth" state until they roll a truck. Because a technician is the only one that can talk to central ops where they update this.

How stupid is that and what a waste of money. Now I sit and wait for 5 days to get a technician out and I'm sure they will want to charge me. At least I can get the HD locals via the cards but anytime I hit any other channels that are in my package it pops up the CC diag box to tell me to call and activate the cards. What an oxy moron that is, because you can't call to do that in the first place.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #1398
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
There are multiple variables in play. Your statment that mpeg4 is poorer quality seemed to imply that you believed that HDTV is uncompressed or that mpeg4 was a poorer codec than mpeg2 which is not true. HDTV uses mpeg2 (ota and cable and most sat). The fact is that mpeg4 is a more efficient codec. That means that a given stream can be compressed more without quality loss or from another perspective, you can get better PQ for a given bandwidth. That gives the provider several choices as they move to mpeg4 from mpeg2. 1) Keep the quality the same but consume less bandwith and stuff more in the same 'channel'. 2) Keep the bandwidth the same and get better PQ. 3) a blend of 1 and 2. I dont have sat so I dont know what they are going to do. They could even reduce PQ even more if they chose to.
Just based on your very reliable and knowlegeable reputation, I'll stand corrected. I guess I made assumptions based on comments I had read in the local AVS forum.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #1399
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Just based on your very reliable and knowlegeable reputation, I'll stand corrected. I guess I made assumptions based on comments I had read in the local AVS forum.
Note that the only part of your post I took issue with was the mpeg4 being the reason for lower PQ... The rest of it is likely spot on. The buzz on sat is that they overcompress their HD streams. I doubt that their usage of mpeg4 will be to increase quality... I believe they will use it to add more content given their hard limit on bandwidth. Of course... thats just my opinion as i dont have sat and cant personally speak from experience on its PQ. I believe SDV is going to allow the cableco's to put a lot of pressure on sat.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #1400
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I believe SDV is going to allow the cableco's to put a lot of pressure on sat.
Ironically, SDV could also hurt the viability Series 3's... which will drive many of us back to satellite!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #1401
rlay

Antenna Adjustment

I did some fiddling with the indoor antenna, and with the signal strength indicators, I was able to place it optimally to receive most of the major networks in HD with the Tivo's tuners. It is kind of in an awkward location above the TV. My plasma looks like the Tivo Logo with a mohawk!...with the UHF portion pointing towards the wall. I have to see how it holds up in weather, but right now I'm getting between 50-90% signal on the majors in HD (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS...in order of signal strength). During windy days I have tended to lose CBS & ABC....and have bad drop out problems with the rest. I'm wondering how much better I'll fair with an outdoor antenna.....if only TWC carried these signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4015_sm.JPG (71.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #1402
tivotivotivo

Quote:
Ironically, SDV could also hurt the viability Series 3's... which will drive many of us back to satellite!

and FIOS if verizon ever gets their stuff installed around my parts....

geez. its like 2 cities away from me now.
tivotivotivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #1403
rlay

Quote:
I did some fiddling with the indoor antenna, and with the signal strength indicators, I was able to place it optimally to receive most of the major networks in HD with the Tivo's tuners. It is kind of in an awkward location above the TV. My plasma looks like the Tivo Logo with a mohawk!...with the UHF portion pointing towards the wall. I have to see how it holds up in weather, but right now I'm getting between 50-90% signal on the majors in HD (FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS...in order of signal strength). During windy days I have tended to lose CBS & ABC....and have bad drop out problems with the rest. I'm wondering how much better I'll fair with an outdoor antenna.....if only TWC carried these signals.

Once the wind kicked up at nightfall... I was back to drops on all OTA channels, and even no reception on some.

Anyone have any experience with the S3 and antennas for OTA HD were the transmitters are 45+ miles away (over flat land farmland luckily)? How about self installation? Any good websites?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #1404
cableguy763

You know rlay, this is the Time Warner CABLE thread. Most of the people come to this thread because they have CABLE. Just thought I'd point that out. By the way, go here antennaweb.org.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #1405
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
I plan on keeping one cable DVR to augment my S3 so if SDV rears it's ugly head in my area i'm covered, but that's not necessarily a viable option for many folks.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #1406
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters
I plan on keeping one cable DVR to augment my S3 so if SDV rears it's ugly head in my area i'm covered, but that's not necessarily a viable option for many folks.
That is my plan also... although I would have to get one again as I got rid of the one I had after I had the S3 for about a month or so.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #1407
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That is my plan also... although I would have to get one again as I got rid of the one I had after I had the S3 for about a month or so.
I returned mine on Saturday, since they were charging me $5 for the box itself and $10 for DVR functionality (or vice-versa, I think.) And I wasn't using it. The interface was horrendous and the remote was ridiculous. The new S3 has been fine, and if it turns out to not be fine in the future due to changes like SDV (and I stick with Time Warner anyway) then hopefully the box TWC offers then will be a ALOT better than the one I started out with!

More than likely, I'd switch back to satellite... Dish or DTV. Whichever is HDTV friendlier.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #1408
jeni1888

I am about to be a new TWC customer in Los Angeles. Do I need to order a digital receiver and cablecards or just the cablecards? Also, I am slightly technically adept, is it something I can hook up myself or should I ask the installation technician to do it?

Thanks much for any help.
jeni1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #1409
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just the cable cards... they'll send a TWC tech to install them.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #1410
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
So I've got 3 Series3 units and I'm trying to install my cables cards (this is in Houston, so it's "self install"). Last Friday I picked up my 6 cards, which required going to 2 different service centers since the first only had 1 card.

After much calling to support, it seems that 4 of the 6 cards are no good. I got one Tivo fully set up with 2 working cards. I get all the channels I should. The other 4 cards have a lower firmware version than the 2 that work, so that's part of the problem. One of the cards just says "CA disabled" in the status screen when I try it in either of my other 2 units. Two of the cards just will not receive the authorization. They never change status, even though I had them send a hit several times. The last one gets authorization, but givens a message that's something like "PROGRAM_KEY_MISSING." It receives the digital channels that are broadcast int he clear, but not the encrypted ones. Oh well.

Of course, none of the centers near me will have more cable cards until Friday, so I have to wait until then and hope that they have 4 cards to swap out for my 4 bad ones.