TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #1351
int2str

San Diego, CA - TWC here.
Same experience as Murray, quick and easy even so it was the tech's first Tivo...
int2str is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #1352
esa

Here in Houston it's up to the individual to install and activate cable cards from Time Warner. About 18 months ago I got a cable card from them for my new Sony HDTV and although Time Warner gladly supplied a cable card after about 3 weeks of daily calls I finally gave up on getting them to activate the card. Clearly they did not want people using cable cards rather than their cable boxes.

For that reason, I was very hestitant to buy a Series 3 Tivo. Because I really wanted HD capability I finally called Time Warner and offered to pay them whatever they asked to come to my house to install and activate the cable cards. They said that coming to an individual's house for such a service is absolutely against they policy.

My desire for HD finally over came my trepidation so I went to the Time Warner store and got 2 cable cards. To my suprise and delight I found that TW has setup a special telephone line for cable card activation here in Houston and within a 1/2 hour after installing the cards I had HD service. What a surprise.

I attribute this group's efforts for Time Warner's getting themselves turned around.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #1353
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

It looks like Time Warner Columbus Ohio screwed up something this weekend during an upgrade. My CableCards in my TiVo Series 3 aren't working. Some channels are assigned incorrectly while others aren't working at all. A friend of mine (also in Hilliard) is also experiencing this. Anyone else?

I talked to a Time Warner rep last night and he said that they were aware of the problem and that it might not be fixed until Monday?

There goes a whole weekend of shows I can't record.

It also cause my S3 to go into the reboot loop so I just unplugged it until they are working again.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #1354
cokyq

CableCard issues w/TimeWarner in Dallas area

I have been using a Cablecard (originally from COMCAST) in a SONY HDD500 for over 1 year w/o any problems. I also used a Motorola 6416 DVR. Both worked fine, but the Motorola was freezing 2-3 times a week and had to be disconnected from power and rebooted.

Because of the Motorola box issues, at Christmas I decided to replace the Motorola DVR with a TIVO S3. So I returned the Motorola DVR and ordered additional 2 cablecards for the S3. When they delivered the cablecards, one was damaged and not working. I Installed the good one (bottom slot) and no problems, all HD channels coming in great on the S3 and the SONY HDD500. The tech agreed to come back later with a replacement, but never showed up. Called Timewarner and after another week went by, another tech came in with a card.

I am subscribed to their Digital Tier and was receiving all HD channels, including 780, 790, 795 & 805 (which I just found out cost extra after 1/1/07 and are called the HD Tier). Apparently TWC was not charging me for the new HD Tier, so when the tech called in to activate the new card, he killed the HD Tier w/o my knowledge. TWC never sent me any notification of the cost changes.

Later that night when I went to watch Universal HD (805), it was dead. So was 780, 790, & 795, on all the CableCards (S3 and SONY)! I called TWC and was told these channels would cost me $3.00/month, so I said ok, reactivate them, and by the way, it would have been nice to tell me of the change.

When they activated the HD Tier (it took a few hours for all 3 cards to come up), channels 780 (ESPN HD) and 790 (inHD) are still dead on all 3 CableCards. TWC resent a hit to the cards but nothing.

I asked them to unpair the cards and re-pair them, but they told me they had to send a tech to look at it, the operator I spoke with said this was "new technology" and she had no training and was not familiar with Cablecards. None of the 4 techs that came to deliver my cards, had good knowledge on CableCards. Two had never even installed one! (I installed the cards and pulled up the diagnostics screens with the cards address).

I am frustrated. Yesterday my two cards were working fine! A new one was delivered, my HDTier cancelled w/o my knowledge and now they cannot activate all the channels on the HDtier.

Am I wrong in thinking a tech can fix this at home? There was nothing wrong yesterday. The new card was installed on S3 slot 2, and now they can get any of the 3 to work properly. In my opinion, the problem is not at home but at TimeWarner.

Does any good techs from TWC read this post? If so, can you comment and help me understand this problem?

BTW, to make it more insteresting, I cannot receive most of my non HD digital classic channels, like 203, NatGeo. Since I hardly watch nothing but HD shows, I never have worried much about it.

Seems there are CableCard issues out there, anyone has experience individual channel losses?

cokyq

PD. TVGOS on the Sony HDD works just fine, just a little pain to organize the channels in the order you want them. TiVO guide is fine, just wish they had a HD interface.

Last edited by cokyq : 02-10-2007 at 04:28 PM.
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #1355
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokyq
I have been using a Cablecard (originally from COMCAST) in a SONY HDD500 for over 1 year w/o any problems. I also used a Motorola 6416 DVR. Both worked fine, but the Motorola was freezing 2-3 times a week and had to be disconnected from power and rebooted.

Because of the Motorola box issues, at Christmas I decided to replace the Motorola DVR with a TIVO S3. So I returned the Motorola DVR and ordered additional 2 cablecards for the S3. When they delivered the cablecards, one was damaged and not working. I Installed the good one (bottom slot) and no problems, all HD channels coming in great on the S3 and the SONY HDD500. The tech agreed to come back later with a replacement, but never showed up. Called Timewarner and after another week went by, another tech came in with a card.

I am subscribed to their Digital Tier and was receiving all HD channels, including 780, 790, 795 & 805 (which I just found out cost extra after 1/1/07 and are called the HD Tier). Apparently TWC was not charging me for the new HD Tier, so when the tech called in to activate the new card, he killed the HD Tier w/o my knowledge. TWC never sent me any notification of the cost changes.

Later that night when I went to watch Universal HD (805), it was dead. So was 780, 790, & 795, on all the CableCards (S3 and SONY)! I called TWC and was told these channels would cost me $3.00/month, so I said ok, reactivate them, and by the way, it would have been nice to tell me of the change.

When they activated the HD Tier (it took a few hours for all 3 cards to come up), channels 780 (ESPN HD) and 790 (inHD) are still dead on all 3 CableCards. TWC resent a hit to the cards but nothing.

I asked them to unpair the cards and re-pair them, but they told me they had to send a tech to look at it, the operator I spoke with said this was "new technology" and she had no training and was not familiar with Cablecards. None of the 4 techs that came to deliver my cards, had good knowledge on CableCards. Two had never even installed one! (I installed the cards and pulled up the diagnostics screens with the cards address).

I am frustrated. Yesterday my two cards were working fine! A new one was delivered, my HDTier cancelled w/o my knowledge and now they cannot activate all the channels on the HDtier.

Am I wrong in thinking a tech can fix this at home? There was nothing wrong yesterday. The new card was installed on S3 slot 2, and now they can get any of the 3 to work properly. In my opinion, the problem is not at home but at TimeWarner.

Does any good techs from TWC read this post? If so, can you comment and help me understand this problem?

BTW, to make it more insteresting, I cannot receive most of my non HD digital classic channels, like 203, NatGeo. Since I hardly watch nothing but HD shows, I never have worried much about it.

Seems there are CableCard issues out there, anyone has experience individual channel losses?

cokyq

PD. TVGOS on the Sony HDD works just fine, just a little pain to organize the channels in the order you want them. TiVO guide is fine, just wish they had a HD interface.

A couple of things. I think I have read that they use SDV in the Dallas area. That may explain why your not getting ESPN and INHD. If they are not on SDV then there could be another problem.

You mentioned many of your digital channels are also not available. Are you getting a message saying "channel not available"? If so, then you'll need a tech to come out. If your not getting that message then go to TiVo Central, Messages and Settings, Account and System Info and Diagnostics. Scroll down to you see your problem channel and take a look at the PID's. If your PCR and Video are not matching up, then that means there is a problem comeing out of the head end.

Now that is not going to be easy to fix because your going to have to find someone who knows how to reach head end and fix this. I had this problem and had it fixed but I kind of had a clue of who I needed to talk to in my area.

Hopefully it is just the cable cards but do check those screens I mentioned on the problem channels. Good luck.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #1356
Kit_C

San Diego Install - minimal problems

Greetings,

I'm with Time Warner in the Poway area (North County inland), and had a very positive installation experience this morning.

I had an 8:00AM - 11:00AM window, and he arrived at 8:00AM sharp, with 2 SA cable cards. The installer had installed one Tivo last year for a beta tester, but said he has done many cable card installs.

He follwed the procedure, and was done in 30 minutes. We checked channels on both cards and everything looked OK.

Shortly after he left, both cards stopped working. Dispatch sent him back and he had the head end re-hit the cards, and now everything is working great.

I was braced for the worst, and was pleasantly suprised.

Kit
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #1357
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

For those with "Scientific Atlanta" CableCards can you check the BootROM and OS Build versions and post them on here? You can find those on the "CP Diag" screen under CableCard menu. You may have to do it a few times since the screen doesn't stay up long.

Mine is:

BootROM: 115
OS Build: 2.3.149s2 May 2, 2005

I am just curious if there is anything newer.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #1358
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
A couple of things. I think I have read that they use SDV in the Dallas area. That may explain why your not getting ESPN and INHD. If they are not on SDV then there could be another problem.
I am on TWC in DFW and there has been no mention of SDV here that I have seen so far. Based on the latest channel guide PDF, these are the HD Channels (besides locals and premiums):
(D = Digital Tier, HD = HD Tier)

D 755 DHD
D 770 TNT-HD
HD 780 ESPN-HD
HD 790 INHD
HD 795 HDNET
HD 805 UHD

HDNet & UHD were added recently in the clear but were supposed to revert to the HD Tier around the beginning of the year. I think they may have for a while but, as of now, they are still in the clear.

I have CCs in my TV and S3 but also have a Sony HDD250 w/o CableCard so I am able to verify these are in the clear. BTW, the TVGuide system the Sony uses is not accurate as they do not have listings for Richardson Digital rebuild. The best they have is for the Garland Rebuild, and those listings do not include HDNet & UHD.

FYI, You can keep up with DFW TWC stuff at the DFW Metro TWC forum at broadbandreports.com

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #1359
stevereis

Quote:
I just posted on SDV and the channels you should have in the clear. Based on what I am getting on my CC-less HDD250, ESPN HD and INHD are the only 2 channels not in the clear at this time so it looks like your CCs are not properly authorized. Since you also are not getting the other digital channels, they may have completely blocked you off the Digital Tier as well.

Good luck on getting this fixed. You could probably fix this without a tech if you could talk to the right folks. However, the 'right folks' seem to be unavailable to customers, only tech's have access.

My experiences were similar to yours. The tech that came to install in my TV un July was a contractor and it was his first day solo but I was able to help him through it. I got a contractor as well for the S3 installs this fall. One card came up properly but the 2nd took a few days to get authorized properly. I already had the HD Tier (returned the Mot 6208 box after I got the S3) so had no account issues like yours.

BTW, how did you get the Mot HD DVR if you were not on the HD Tier?

Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #1360
chedlin
TiVo Addict

SDV Pain, but at least cable card activations seem smooth now.

If Time Warner cuts too many more channels they are going to loose me as a video subscriber. I might consider DSL as well just to take all my money from them.

I have only been on video since December when I got my S3. My cable internet has been continuous (at several addresses over the years) since '98 when they rolled out early bird services.

I may just use the S3 for OTA and my DirecTivo units for everything else.

On the cable card note, my S3 went out. It stopped receiving digital OTA and cable, but could still get analog. TiVo sent me a new unit (The day after I expect the refurb to arrive I got an email saying UPDATED: and indicating I would get a new unit. It was a retail packed box with cables, remote etc, but the return instructions specifically said not to include these). I called Time Warner and they re-paired my cable cards and everything worked instantly. They also seemed to have trained their reps on TiVo specifically.
Series 3 300GB soon to get lifetime from Philips unit.

Last edited by chedlin : 02-11-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spell check gave me the wrong word and I didn't notice.
chedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #1361
aymanme

Thanks CableyGuy! You are like a superhero! My S3 is fully working now. And I can relegate the HDR112 to the darkest crevices of my closet!
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #1362
Frankenstien

Smile Charlotte, NC Setup

I just went through the CableCARD installation this past Friday. Despite two calls before the appointment, the tech showed up with 2 CableCARDs and an HD DVR.

The tech was very friendly and pretty sharp. Before hauling anything in he verified what he was supposed to do. I explained that I only needed the 2 CableCARDs installed in the TiVo. I gave him the installers instructions. He smiled and said, "This will be fun."

He went outside and did a quick check of the lines coming into the house, then we followed along with the instructions. The first card worked fine. He committed that he did several CableCARD intsalls on TV and always had problems. We moved on to the second card and it went smoothly.

The TiVo then wanted to run through the channel setup. The tech said that he wanted to stay and make sure all the channels came in correctly. I finished the setup and we scrolled through the channels. Discovery HD and TNT HD were not coming in. He called in to check and was told that there was an area outage. So he said that the channels should come back by the end of the day. Sure enough that afternoon they were coming in fine.

So, I think the whole thing went very well and I am enjoying my new S3.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #1363
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
For those with "Scientific Atlanta" CableCards can you check the BootROM and OS Build versions and post them on here? You can find those on the "CP Diag" screen under CableCard menu. You may have to do it a few times since the screen doesn't stay up long.

Mine is:

BootROM: 115
OS Build: 2.3.149s2 May 2, 2005

I am just curious if there is anything newer.
Both of my current cablecards show BootRom: 115 and OS Build: 2.3.149.3 May 10, 2006.

Note: When the first card install was attempted one of the cards was an older one with an OS Build date somewhere around Feb. 2005. That card was stuck with a message about updating it's firmware for over 24 hours, so I called my cable company back and asked them to replace it with another that had a build date at least as new as the one that worked.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #1364
cokyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis
BTW, how did you get the Mot HD DVR if you were not on the HD Tier?
I got the Motorola box from Comcast over 2 years ago! The HD Tier apparently started on 1/1/07, but it seems many people are still not being charged for it (my brother lives nearby, he is getting the HD Tier yet TWC has not started charging him the $3/month). In my case, the tech that came to add the second card on the S3 was the one that killed the HD Tier w/o consulting if I wanted to keep them.

cokyq
Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #1365
cokyq

TimeWarner CableCard issues with HD channels resolved

TWC CableCard update...

Time Warner Cable tech showed up last Saturday after the 5pm deadline - he arrived about 5:30pm. After I explained the problem, he took all the CableCards out, and got their serial numbers. We then proceeded to the pairing screens to obtain the host, data and unit addresses.

With this info, he called TWC central and spoke with someone who proceeded to un pair the card and re pair them. This fixed TIVO CableCard #1 and Sony HDD CableCard. TIVO CableCard #2 now actually displayed an image on channels 780 and 790, but only for a second, with the images remaining frozen on screen.

He pulled a new CableCard and replaced the CableCard in TIVO slot two, and called TWC central to pair. This solved the probllem. I am now receiving all HD channels in the Digital Classic and HD Tier. Took a whiile, but I am back in business.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #1366
barronius

Austin TiVo Series 3 Lineup

Hello All,

I'm a bit confused by the switched/unswitched channels that you are referring to and the lists that are being posted. Is there a full list of channels posted somewhere that as a Series 3 user here in Austin with Time Warner I should be able to receive? I get quite a few channels but not as many as I got before I moved to the Series 3 and sent back the cable box. I'm not sure if the issue is bad cable cards or this switched issue you all refer to.

Thanks.
barronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #1367
stevereis

Quote:
I got the Motorola box from Comcast over 2 years ago! The HD Tier apparently started on 1/1/07, but it seems many people are still not being charged for it (my brother lives nearby, he is getting the HD Tier yet TWC has not started charging him the $3/month). In my case, the tech that came to add the second card on the S3 was the one that killed the HD Tier w/o consulting if I wanted to keep them.
That's right. Comcast just charged an extra $5/mo for the HD box. TWC kept the same billing when they took over. Now that I an boxless, I do not have that charge anymore. I also am not being charged for the HD Tier either. Maybe they only start charging when you make a change your subscribed services.

P.S. Glad you got the CC issues worked out. On my first CC, the tech forgot to write down the serial number and we had to take it out and get that info before he could pair. At the time, the procedures didn't have the tech write that down before inserting the card.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #1368
JimWall

I have two HD tivos working with cable cards.

The first install went fine but took about a half hour for the encrypted channels in the Cincinnati TW area to come through.

The 2nd Tivo HD install took three visits by techs.

The first techs (2 guys) said they have done this many times but simply were not organized. I was able to get all channels on both cards that were not encrypted. HD on 900+ was working. They gave up and said a backup tech will be out to troublshoot.
Backup tech came by in afternoon and tried to say the tivo was bad even though the TV he brought had the same problem with the cablecard that was in my tivo.

He also said to call TIVO and see what they say. TIVO said they need to bring out two new cable cards that have not been paired. Turns out that was bogus. Everytime a cablecard is removed and reinserted (even on the same tivo slot) a new host ID is created. That is what is paired with the SN and your billing (channels). Host ID and SN is needed to send the CP auth.

Two days later a 3rd tech came out. He was emergency replacement for the scheduled tech. He was also being bugged by his wife on cell who was freaking out that he told everyone she was pregnant.
I thought this won't work out either.

BUT DESPITE THAT He got everything to work and was very layed back about it and how easy it is.
I told him he needs to get other techs trained properly but being stupid is always a problem.

Steps:
1: write down SN of cable cards and which slot they are going in. Each time you pull them out the host ID changes!!!! Easy to get that wrong. The 2nd guy as confused about slot one and two.

2: Put in cable cards and write down the host id for each card and its cablecard(TM) id
It takes 10 to 30 minutes to download the eeprom or something like that.
Once that is done the unencrypted channels start coming in.

The CP auth screen will show an error until the "hit" is send from cable company office.
This is what took three technitions several days to get to work.

The SN and host IDs much be paired correctly by tech, entered properly by tech, entered properly at cable office.

3: Text host id/SN pairs to cable office to past into the computer. Hopefully there are no typos.

4: Downloaded with billing info to cable card for the CP auth show it is received.
If the auth is sent too soon it won't work and cable company may not get an error.

The guy who got mine to work pulled each cable card so they get a new host ID and did the procedure from scratch. Whatever was done with old host ID is gone! New unpaired cards are not needed.

For a while the CP auth didn't work and office insisted they had entered everything OK with no errors. Tech had them resave and set the auth agin after about 30 minutes and it worked!!
Assuming the first two tech visits and office staff did not do any typos.
There must be some kind of delay where sending the CP auth/billing/channel information too soon does not work but no error messages are sent back to cable company.
It the tech pulls the card out to check the Serial Number then new host ID must be entered at the cable company office.

I wish I could have been at cable company to see what happened on their end.
I think the software the cable company uses to setup cable cards and sent the CP auth and tie it to billing needs to be improved.
Maybe if they had a keyboard instead of phone keypad they would be better at entering the host id and SN.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #1369
Mike Farrington

JimWall, The HostID remains the same for each slot. The number never changes. Are you sure you're not talking about the "data" number?
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #1370
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronius
Is there a full list of channels posted somewhere that as a Series 3 user here in Austin with Time Warner I should be able to receive?

Thanks.
You haven't seen one yet because there are still hundred you should get. The full lineup is here.
Take away the channels above 82 that are listed in this post along with any "on demand" or pay-per-view channels, and you have your answer.

/begin rant
I find it interesting that they added two HD's (A&E and Music - albeit as SDV) before they went switched on several existing channels, and now they're adding a bunch of on-demands. So much for the theory that anyone is getting anything out of the tradeoff. I think they would be better off investing in some decent DVR software (Passport instead of the SARA garbage) and making service revenue off of it instead of offering more stale shows "on demand" for free. You would think the fact that there are hundreds of customers in this area alone willing to spend $600+ and endure their substandard (compared to TWC Houston) installation process to avoid the SARA DVRs would convince them of this. If they cared about customer service, they'd give ALL their techs and CSRs the tools and knowledge they need to support cablecard.
/end rant

Last edited by pmiranda : 02-14-2007 at 08:22 AM.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #1371
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall
Two days later a 3rd tech came out. He was also being bugged by his wife on cell who was freaking out that he told everyone she was pregnant.

BUT DESPITE THAT He got everything to work and was very layed back about it and how easy it is.
That guy clearly knows how to put things in slots.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #1372
rjgibson0066

I will keep searching, but would appreciate any advice on my install.

SOME DIGITAL CHANNELS, BUT NOT ALL (AND NOT MY FAVORITES)

I get all the regular (analog) channels and a few of the digital channels, such as local HD and Discovery HD. However, I don't get the normal digital channels, such as the Outdoor Channel, Speed, any of the premium movies channels (HBO and Showtime), and the some other HD channels (ESPN HD, IMHD). Both cards get and don't get the exact same channels.

Larry "The Cable Guy" had never done a cablecard install, however he was very accomodating and followed all the directions - although he had to go outside to make calls to activate the cards due to poor cell reception at my house - therefore I did not overhear him reciting the cards' serial numbers - but we both checked and doubled checked our written notes when installing the cards.

He left after "dispatch" told him it may take 1-4 hours for all the channels to download. However, it has been close of 2-3 hours and nothing has changed.

I did re-run of set-up, and did identify in the set-up process the second time, my premium channels (HBO and Showtime), however nothing changed.

Strangely, both before starting my second set-up process and after the second set-up process was complete, I received an error message saying there was a change to a cablecard and set-up needed to be re-run.

I didn't re-run set-up a third time because I saw this message before the starting the second set-up process, so figured that wouldn't be the solution.

Lastly, we only tried/used two cablecards as they partially worked. Further, I never re-booted (powered on/off) the TIVO unit since the install - which I will try shortly.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #1373
cableguy763

Where are you located? That kind of information usually helps.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #1374
radtom

This has happened to me with both my series 3 installs. I call repair and they are able to check their settings and within minutes I get my missing channels. It was not a cable card problem, just something not set right when the card(s) was activated. Both times it was quick and easy. I am dealing with TW San Antonio.
radtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #1375
cokyq

My cable provider is TWC and I am in the DFW area.

WHen I had cablecards installed on my new S3, I started missing channels because TWC moved HDNet, ESPN HD and Universal HD to a new HD Tier. They did not announce the change and it appears they only have been killing those channels when you call for service. Once I noticed the channels were missing later that night I called TWC and then they explained those channels now had an extra cost. When I told them to activate them, that is when the problem started.

When they activated the HD Tier, ESPN HD and HDNet would not come in. After several calls, they sent a tech over, who took the cards out, wrote down the serial numbers, Data and host addresses, called TWC central, had the cards divorced (un-paired), and then re-pairing them. This process resolved the problem in 2 of 3 cards. He exchanged the cablecard, re-paired and problem was resolved.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #1376
cokyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2_2001
In the Dallas area, TWC.. 790 and 795 are showing a black screen only. Anyone else having this issue?
Yes I did in Euless with channels 780 and 790. Tech came in and had to divorce the cards and re-pair them. Problem now solved.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #1377
rjgibson0066

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763
Where are you located? That kind of information usually helps.
Dayton, OH
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #1378
A J Ricaud

I'm a new TWC customer in So. Calif. I pre-wired RG-6 cabling to a central point inside my home and connected them to a powered CATV distribution system. I then ran a main line to TWC's interface box.

My install called for 4 CableCards (2 ea. for 3 S3s), 2 TWC DVRs and a set-top box. When the installer showed up yesterday , he only had 2 CableCards because he misread the order. Plus, he was completely overwhelmed by my setup.

He said it wouldn't work that way but agreed to try it anyway. He proceeded to do the install. He was surprised that the signal levels tested fine. He didn't seem to understand that my distribution system is essentially a lossless splitter, designed for CATV (Channelplus).

He said his boss would not let him insert CableCards in anything other than a TV, so I did it, per the Tivo directions. Both cards initialized just fine in the S3 and after re-running guided setup, everything was fine--all channels coming in.

I told him about this site so he can familiarize himself with TWC/CableCard experience is across the nation. He was very thankful. Today, a different, much more knowledeable installer installed the 2 CableCards in my second S3. gain, everything went fine.

I checked the cable signal levels from the S3s menu and got readings in the high 90s. So far, so good.

BTW, the CableCards are Motorolas.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #1379
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
My install called for 4 CableCards (2 ea. for 3 S3s)
Wouldn't that be 6?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #1380
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Wouldn't that be 6?
Whoops! Only have 2 S3s.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote