Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #1321
dm-mm
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee
Did these card start life in a S3? Were they new or "recycled" from somewhere else?"
One was brand new, one was recycled.

DM
dm-mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #1322
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-mm
One was brand new, one was recycled.

DM
Try pulling the recycled card, rebooting the S3 with just one card. If the lone card works, then you'll have some amunition to fire back at TWC about getting absolutely brand new, virgin cards. I had to be very specific about that with my Cable Co., and they eventually listened.

Hey, you're the customer, the paying customer. You're well withing your rights to demand working cards.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #1323
dm-mm
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee
Try pulling the recycled card, rebooting the S3 with just one card. If the lone card works, then you'll have some amunition to fire back at TWC about getting absolutely brand new, virgin cards.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that combination and there was no change.

Quote:
I had to be very specific about that with my Cable Co., and they eventually listened.

Hey, you're the customer, the paying customer. You're well withing your rights to demand working cards.
They've become a lot more responsive since I pushed the issue.

Based on what I've been told and seen, I'm afraid that the cards are operating in a mode that TiVo hadn't anticipated. I PM'ed TivoJerry. Hopefully he'll look into it.

DM
Old 02-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #1324
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
With regards to PPV events, is it just a matter of not being able to order from my remote and set top box? Would I be able to call Customer Service and order them (like I used to do with DirecTV?)
Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #1325
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad2002
I was lucky (I think) and my cards installed quickly and easily. I love HD Tivo and can't go back now.

I am having intermittent problems with the Cable Cards, though, and I actually think this is a Tivo thing. I'll be flipping through channels, or going from one input on my tv to another and then back to HD Tivo, and suddenly the premium channels are gone. When I say no premium, what I get is basic cable (below channel 99) plus the local HD stations.

I reboot Tivo and everything is back. This happens frequently enough that it is a real pain, and you can't be sure it won't interfere with recordings (I've already missed one) since it happens suddenly without notice and the only fix I've come up with is a Tivo reboot.

Anybody else experience this or know of a fix? It is possible that when on another input (one of which includes a second Tivo S2) my clicking messes up my HD Tivo, but it doesn't really explain why the channels get dropped until a reboot.

Thanks!

Jim
As far as your loss of channels, make sure that both of your cablecards are fully authorized.

When mine were first installed, one of them was and the other one wasn't.

This meant that it all depended on which tuner was being used. All the channels were viewable on one and not on the other.

It is also possible that you are not receiving a strong enough signal from your cable company. I added a cable signal amplifier to my system and things have worked much better.

As far as your controller changing both your Tivo's at the same time, try setting each of your Tivo's to use a different Remote Address number.

By default, all Tivo's and their remote controls seem to be set to Remote Address zero. This is the universal remote address and it will change all Tivo's within range whenever it is used.

Note: When I tried to follow the instructions in the manual for this, I had problems. Even though it says to just cover the infrared sensor on one Tivo while you change the other, my remote was sending a strong enough signal that it still changed both Tivo's to the new address. I finally unplugged one Tivo while changing the other.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #1326
derekcbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcbart
This morning the channel lineup conversion happened and, much to my surprise, TiVo got all of the new channel information correct on the first try after running Guided Setup again. I was very nervous about this and I had read some posts about it being a nightmare, but my experience was very good. Just FYI.
Well, maybe not.

This past weekend I went to the "To Do" list and noticed that it had no new episodes of any of my regular season passes set to record. It's February Sweeps time so I know that there are going to be new episodes. The channel numbers displayed for my season passes were the new channel numbers so that seemed to be find. I have my season passes to record "First Run" only so I decided to change to "Repeats and First Run". When I did this I noticed that the channel information displayed when TiVo sees a conflict was the old Comcast channel number. So, somehow, the TiVo is still retaining the old channel number information somewhere in its programming.

This was only an issue for season passes set for "First Run Only". All of my season passes for "Repeats and First Run" were in the To Do list. I then had to delete all of my older "First Run" season passes and re-enter them. Now they appear in the the "To Do" list properly.

It was very strange that it seemed to work with the new channel assignments for a week and then it got confused.

I just realized that the previous recording information was probably already in the "To Do" list so the TiVo was probably able to reassign those recordings properly, but it was unable to reassign the unscheduled recordings for some reason.

Just something to be aware of if you are going to be going through the TWC channel realignment.
derekcbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #1327
Monty2_2001

In the Dallas area, TWC.. 790 and 795 are showing a black screen only. Anyone else having this issue?
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #1328
pmiranda

Quote:
With regards to PPV events, is it just a matter of not being able to order from my remote and set top box? Would I be able to call Customer Service and order them (like I used to do with DirecTV?)
I would assume they won't work even then, unless your cableco specifically says they support it. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for a PPV event that said you could order by phone.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #1329
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I would assume they won't work even then, unless your cableco specifically says they support it. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for a PPV event that said you could order by phone.
Since that was the only way you could get PPV in the old days, I just assumed they would have to grandfather that in for the original non-adressable boxes they handed out. Anyway, at Comcast, you can still call in your PPV. And sports packages must be called in. You can not order them by remote:

Code:
What is Pay-Per-View (PPV)?
Pay-Per-View (PPV) is a programming 
option that allows you to enjoy special 
events and movies right through your 
television set.  Ordering is easy using 
either your digital set-top box remote 
control (Digital Cable subscribers) or 
by calling 1-800-COMCAST (266-2278) 
(non-Digital Cable subscribers).

pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #1330
dm-mm
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
For reference, my head-end is in New Philadelphia, Ohio.
Update: Cards are now working. TiVoJerry had me ask TW to re-init the cards. When I left for work this morning, it was stuck on acquiring channel information. When I returned home tonight, it was working. Previous attempts at authorization had it stuck there for days.

The cable representative I spoke with this morning said that they were still working on my account but that it was billing related. (?)

Thanks to everyone with suggestions, etc. and especially TiVoJerry who took the time to look into this.

DM
Old 02-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #1331
rudiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2_2001
In the Dallas area, TWC.. 790 and 795 are showing a black screen only. Anyone else having this issue?
No, both channels are coming through.

rudiger
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #1332
Friedman

Tivo & Time Warner Digital

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone's able to use their Tivo with Time Warner Digital Cable? I have a Series 2 Tivo and TW told me I would have to use their DVR if I switched to digital cable. Is there any way I can keep the Tivo and run the digital cable through it?

Thanks,
Mike
Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #1333
Monty2_2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger
No, both channels are coming through.

rudiger
Was my problem, they didn't have the HD tier package on. Seemed on that it only affected those 2 channels, but I had them turn it on and they came back.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable day when most or all channels go off for good with SDV.
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #1334
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
The cable representative I spoke with this morning said that they were still working on my account but that it was billing related. (?)
Sometimes it takes them a while to work out how to hide the fact that they're charging you more for using less of their equipment...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #1335
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedman
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone's able to use their Tivo with Time Warner Digital Cable? I have a Series 2 Tivo and TW told me I would have to use their DVR if I switched to digital cable. Is there any way I can keep the Tivo and run the digital cable through it?
Mike
With a Series 2, you do have to use one (or two with the DT) of their set-tops to get digital channels (above 82). You do NOT have to use one of their DVRs with a Series 2.

You should probably check with a series 2 thread to find out more.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #1336
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Seems like I am receiving every channel I should, except for INHD2 (423.)

I like INHD (all HD channels are special to me, hehe) so I'm curious about this one.

Before I call and start running around in circles... anyone else receiving it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #1337
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Seems like I am receiving every channel I should, except for INHD2 (423.)

I like INHD (all HD channels are special to me, hehe) so I'm curious about this one.

Before I call and start running around in circles... anyone else receiving it?
ROFLOL....They (InDemand, the company that owns INHD) stopped broadcasting INHD2 on 01.01.07. That could be why your not receiving it.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #1338
mercurial
Retro-Av

Yep... They replaced our INHD2 with MTV HD... <sigh>
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #1339
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Yep... They replaced our INHD2 with MTV HD... <sigh>
We did much better. They didn't replace ours with anything.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #1340
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
ROFLOL....They (InDemand, the company that owns INHD) stopped broadcasting INHD2 on 01.01.07. That could be why your not receiving it.
Not sure why that qualifies for a "ROFLOL," but glad my question entertained.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a new S3 owner (just set it up last week and upgraded the drive last night.) I am also new to HD, so I'd have little way of knowing about the 1/17 INHD2 change. While I'd love to have the additional HD channel around, it's at least good to know that I'm not the only one missing it.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #1341
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Not sure why that qualifies for a "ROFLOL,"
Isn't that your last name?

There is some great programming on those channels. Check out the Get Out! series. I think its on INHD. They also show previews of Howard TV.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1342
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedman

Thanks,
Mike
You need their digital box for digital channles and there's a gizmo (Infra-red remote commander) that goes from the TiVo-2 to the front of their box that tells their box to change channels.

If you want HD, there is a different TW box for that. It does not record programs.

The DVR that they are talking about is for HD TV and records like a TiVo but is far inferior as to what it can do.

I have all 3. Any questions? CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #1343
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem
Isn't that your last name?

There is some great programming on those channels. Check out the Get Out! series. I think its on INHD. They also show previews of Howard TV.
"Get Out!" is on HDNet. I'll check it out. HowardTV previews, too.

I also set up some recordings of "Geared Up" and "The Big Picture" from INHD (part of their "Mojo" programming.)

Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #1344
aymanme

Austin Install

So there is good and bad for me .... The person they sent out to install my cablecards was a contractor. He was nice enough, but really couldn't do anything. I felt a little bad b/c after he put in the first card and waited on hold upwards of 30 minutes, he was ready to put the 2nd in and the CSR put him back in the queue! The first card didn't work anyway, so he put #2 in and it was in boat anchor mode as well.

So its been a couple of trips (with actual TWC techs) and neither cards works. I think the signal is ok, since 1) it was working with the 3200HD before and 2) The cards have authorized properly. However, they get no EMM or ECM messages so they can't get digital or premiums.

But the good news is that my antenna building skills are up to the challenge and so with a homemade antenna, I am getting and able to record OTA HD*

So my questions:
Do I need ot call and try to get them to send the initialize to my cards? I can't ever remember that coming up during the hours of their conversation on the phone.

(*yes I know I can get the local HD over cable, I built the antenna in the several days waiting for the cable cards to show up).
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #1345
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme
The cards have authorized properly. However, they get no EMM or ECM messages so they can't get digital or premiums.
They should be able to just send hits and get you running, but I did have one card that simply needed to be replaced. A few months back one of my cards dropped out and I had to unplug it, have them un-pair, plug it back in, then re-pair it after the card info screen pops up, and it was fine after a few more hits after it had reach the "authorization received" state.
You should be able to resolve this with a half-hour phone call, unless they managed to stick you with two bad cards.
Also, make sure that they have your account balanced (same services on all cards/boxes) properly. This hasn't been a problem for me but on occasion something gets messed up on the billing end for other folks.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #1346
jeblis

Somewhat complete list of Austin SDV Channels

I have an S3 tivo and TWC provided HD dvr in Austin. These are the channels I get on the TWC dvr, but not with the tivo. The only premium packages I have are showtime, and the HD tier. Ones that I'd like to have in bold.

This list may not be entirely accurate see cableguy763's comment below Updated 1 cable card was bad. This looks like a more reasonable list:

77 TW77 Local Programming
102 Disney West
111 Boomerang
125 NToon
261 Logo
274 TV Super Store
275 ShopNBC
277 Revenue Frontier
278 Men's Channel
279 Healthy Living
281 Beauty & Fashion
284 iShop
285 The Mall Channel
286 Resort & Residence Channel
287 America's Preview Channel

295 The World Network
348 News 8 Traffic Now
358 News 8 Non-Stop Weather
359 News 8 Non-Stop Weather en Espanol
408 News 8 en espanol
435 NDATV
460 Speed Channel
609 News 8 Non-Stop Weather en Espanol
629 La Familia
1639 FoxHD
1660 AE HD
1664 MTV HD

All on-demand channels

Last edited by jeblis : 02-09-2007 at 05:58 PM.
jeblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #1347
cableguy763

channels you are missing

jeblis, there are a few problems here that you have incorrect. Let me point out a few channels that arent switched that you are not getting that need to get resolved. Send me a PM tomorrow and we can get these straightened out. You should be getting the following channels:

Showtime:
730-737
1617 Discovery HD
1656 Universal HD
1678 Showtime HD
ALL music channels
and most of the discovery channels
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #1348
LostInAustin

I can confirm that the east coast feeds of HBO including HBO-HD are available to S3 users in Austin. The west coast feeds of HBO have never been available, and I suspect it's the same for the other premium channels, but I only subscribe to HBO. I don't know about the newer premium HD channels (Cinemax, Starz), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're SDV. It seems to be the trend that new channels are going SDV, but very few "existing" channels have been moved to SDV.

I'm not home at the moment so I can't verify all the channels on that list, but I know I get a lot of them. I also know some of them definitely are NOT available due to SDV (Speed for instance), but you should be getting a LOT more than you currently are.
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #1349
pmiranda

I wouldn't think anything under 82 (ie 11 and 77) could be switched since they're analog channels, so you might just have a bad mapping for them in your cablecard. I think TW-Austin does switch the digital simulcast of many analog channels, as they're listed in this official switched listing I recently received. Also, when they started switching the simulcast of KLRU2, my cablecards stopped receiving it for a few days but I could still get it on a plain old TV. I also voted for individual digital channels I wish I got in bold.

-Analog Simulcast Channels (should still be available) -
6 CITY
7 Guide
10 Local
10 PACT1
10 SMGov
11 PACT
13 KAKW
14 KADF
15 ME-TV
16 CSPN2
17 TSTV
19 ACC
20 / 255 KLRU2
22 AISD
22 Photo
23 KCWX
31 / 201 HGTV RTE
32 / 209 Food RTE
42 / 101 Disney East RTE
44 / 355 News 8 Doppler Radar
45 / 350 TWC RTE D1
47 / 312 CNN Headline News
64 / 555 Tuner Classic Movies
74 / 219 Style
76 / 622 Galavision
77 TWC77
78 Infor

-Digital Channels-

102 Disney West RTE
111 Boomerang
125 Nick Toons
261 LOGO
274 TV Superstore
275 Shop NBC
277 Revenue Frontier
278 Men's Channel
279 Healthy Living
281 Beauty and Fashion
284 iShop
285 The Mall Channel
286 Resort and Residence
287 PREVU Channel
295 The Word Network
348 News 8 Traffic (I was still getting this last time I checked!?)
358 News 8 Weather
359 News 8 Weather Spanish
408 New 8 NonStop Sports

-Switched Sports Pak-

431 Fox Sports Atlantic
432 Fox Sports Central
433 Fox Sports Pacific
434 Fuel
435 NBA TV
438 CSTV
455 Tennis Channel
460 Speedvision
470 Versus (not on the official list, but I stopped getting it when Speed went switched)
490 Outdoor Channel

- Switched International -

601 CNN Espanol
602 Canal 24
604 DocuTVE
606 CanalSur
609 News 8 Weather Spanish
611 Toon Disney Spanish
612 Cartoon Spanish
613 Boomerang Spanish
614 Sorpresa
617 Fox Sports SW Espanol
626 TVE International
629 La Familia
630 SiTV
632 Infinito
633 HTV
634 Video Rola
635 Puma
636 MUN 2
640 CineLatino
644 Discovery Espanol
645 HITN
649 EWTN Spanish

-West-coast channels-

708 HBO WEST
709 HBOPLUS WEST
710 HBOSIG WEST
711 HBFAMILY WEST
712 HBCOMEDY WEST
713 HBOZONE WEST
714 HBLATINO WEST
723 CINEMAX WEST
724 MORMAX WEST
725 ACTNMAX WEST
726 THRILMAX WEST
738 SHOW WEST
739 SHO TOO WEST
740 SHOWCASE WEST
741 SHOW EXT WEST
742 BEYOND WEST
743 SHOW NEXT-W
744 WOMEN WEST
745 SHOW FAMILY WEST
748 TMC WEST
749 TMC XTRA WEST
761 Encore West

-Pay-Per-View Sports-

ESPN GamePlan:
901 Sport PPV-1
902 Sports PPV-2
903 Sports PPV-3
904 Sports PPV-4
905 Sports PPV-5
906 Sports PPV-6
NBA/MLS:
910 NBA
911 TEAM1
912 TEAM2
913 TEAM3
914 TEAM4
915 TEAM5
916 TEAM6
917 TEAM7
918 TEAM8
919 TEAM9
NHL/MLB:
930 Game 1
931 Game 2
932 Game 3
933 Game 4
934 Game 5
935 Game 6
936 Game 7
937 Game 8
938 Game 9
939 Game 10

-Switched Adult/PPV-

940 Playboy
941 Ten
942 TenBlox
943 Ten Clips

950-1490 All the on-demand channels

-Switched HD-

1639 Fox Sports HD
1660 A&E HD
1664 Music HD
1650 PPV HD Sports (not on the official list, but a good assumption)
1675 Cinemax HD (I find this surprising...new or just not popular?)
1684 Starz HD

Personally, I'm still voting with my set-top-box by having my old TiVo record lots of stuff off channels I want. I never realized how bad the picture quality was from it until I had seen Speed in glorious all-digital via HDMI!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #1350
LostInAustin

Hey, thanks for the list pmiranda! That looks much more accurate to me.

Just by browsing that list, I think Speed and the A&E/Music HD channels are the only ones I'm really "missing" But I am curious/concerned how they'll add the "more popular" HD channels in the future (e.g. TBS-HD).
LostInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote