TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #1201
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni1888
I know everyone hates messages like this but if you guys could help me I'd be extremely grateful. I am currently a DirecTV/TiVo user but am moving to an apartment that doesn't allow DirecTV and I'm really frightened of the Time Warner DVR, so wanted to know about getting TiVo instead.

If there are any patient people out there that would be willing to help me I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.
When you say your apartment "doesn't allow DirecTV" what do you mean? Do you have a balcony/patio with the correct exposure to the section of the sky you need?

The apartment complex cannot prohibit you from installing a dish in an area you have *exclusive* control of (balcony/patio/etc...you can't use the roof). They can prevent you from installing it such that you would need to drill holes, etc.

If you have a balcony that faces north, then unfortunately, you might be out of luck.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #1202
Teeps

Obtained an appointment for cable card install to be done on 25Jan07; TimeWarner (Torrance,CA) C/S rep waived the install fee! How about that...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #1203
Monty2_2001

I got my S3 with TWC in the Dallas area hooked up, and I checked online billing and I see this:

STND RECEIVER W/REMOTE 01/11 TO 02/09 $ 4.78

I called in, talked to Billing, and now I have to speak to the Sales department which closes at 8pm. So I'll have to call tomorrow.

These guys seem so confused that you aren't renting from them. I hope I don't end up having to fight whoever I talk to tomorrow.
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #1204
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2_2001
I got my S3 with TWC in the Dallas area hooked up, and I checked online billing and I see this:

STND RECEIVER W/REMOTE 01/11 TO 02/09 $ 4.78

I called in, talked to Billing, and now I have to speak to the Sales department which closes at 8pm. So I'll have to call tomorrow.

These guys seem so confused that you aren't renting from them. I hope I don't end up having to fight whoever I talk to tomorrow.
CSR's are just not informed. I've asked many times to get them at least to understand what the S3 is in my area. I think I've had no success.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #1205
jeni1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake
When you say your apartment "doesn't allow DirecTV" what do you mean? Do you have a balcony/patio with the correct exposure to the section of the sky you need?
I am going to be renting a condo and the condo association doesn't allow dishes. I'll ask once more but as long as I can have TiVo with two tuners I'm OK, unless you know of something that makes DirecTV superior to TWC, which I probably don't want to know since I can't do anything about it and it will just make me sad...
jeni1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #1206
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni1888
I am going to be renting a condo and the condo association doesn't allow dishes. I'll ask once more but as long as I can have TiVo with two tuners I'm OK, unless you know of something that makes DirecTV superior to TWC, which I probably don't want to know since I can't do anything about it and it will just make me sad...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a law that protects your rights to have sat over cable?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #1207
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a law that protects your rights to have sat over cable?
Correct. Per the FCC, they cannot prevent you from installing a dish in an area which you have EXCLUSIVE control over (patio/balcony/etc). You can't mount it on the roof w/o permission, drill holes, etc. (holes, etc. could be allowed per condo association rules...but most likely not allowed in apartments, etc).

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #1208
madoverlord

Angry Huge TW CableCard Problem

I am having huge problems with my time warner (se north-carolina) cablecards. The techs have been over to my house literally a half-dozen times - I know their kids birthdays now!

The symptom is simple: they come over, do their reset or whatever, do a lot of chatting with someone on the phone, and everything's OK. Then about 2 weeks later, I start losing channels, usually the HD ones. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Over and over again.

It's not the tech's fault. Something is wrong, and they don't have the resources to figure it out. But I don't know whose tushie needs a fire lit under it. Any help will be appreciated.

Other details:

One or both cards usually say WAITING FOR CP AUTH all the time.

Every couple of days the TiVo tells me I need one of the cards authorized.

Needless to say, it started messing up again last night, and I'm about to go out of town for a week and expect my poor TiVo to not have much recorded for me when I get back. And after going through the phone tree, I got "whups, too many people are calling us, call back later"

madoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #1209
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoverlord
I am having huge problems with my time warner (se north-carolina) cablecards. The techs have been over to my house literally a half-dozen times - I know their kids birthdays now!

The symptom is simple: they come over, do their reset or whatever, do a lot of chatting with someone on the phone, and everything's OK. Then about 2 weeks later, I start losing channels, usually the HD ones. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Over and over again.

It's not the tech's fault. Something is wrong, and they don't have the resources to figure it out. But I don't know whose tushie needs a fire lit under it. Any help will be appreciated.
You might want to check what the requirements for getting a rebate of part of your monthly bill are; it sounds like you have lots of service interruptions! The conditions for rebates are different at each franchise authority, but the language in yours may allow you to get money back. That should quickly grab the attention of other parts of TW that may not be aware of the problems (the bean counters have great power!)

Firing off a complaint or discussing things with your local government franchising authority (address or phone number should appear on bills or statements of rates) may help long-term.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #1210
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott
some of the channels (most notably TNTHD and Universal HD) only work with card 2. What do I need to check for on the diagnostic screen, and what do I need to tell TWC when I call them to try to resolve this issue?

Also, which channels should I expect to be missing due to sdv?
A&EHD and MTVHD are switched, and the sports pack will go switched next week (unfortunately I forgot to get a box and they're probably closed for MLK day (or a winter storm) monday). I think the west-coast premiums are also switched but I'm not subscribed so I can't tell for sure.

You should be able to get card 1 working over the phone, assuming your other digitals (ie 200-800) are already working on that card.
First ask them to make sure your account is balanced.
Make sure both cards say "CP AUTH RECEIVED" on the card status screen. If not, you need them to re-pair any cards that are "WAITING FOR CP AUTH".
If that's OK, check the EMM counts. If they're 0, ask them to send hits to that card. It should start working by the time they reach 30 or so. When they send the hit, the count should increment within a minute. You do have to exit the status screen and reenter to refresh the information.

Good luck! If you get a CSR that isn't helping, call back and try another.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #1211
rudiger

Just wanted to chime in on my install in the DFW area in Carrollton TX.

My install window was from 10 to 2 today, and the guy showed up at 10:30. It was a rainy day today and the guy took off his shoes before he enter my apartment.

The guy knew what he was doing because he had me up and running in 30 minutes. He told me that this was his fourth Cablecard install to a Series 3. Most of the time was spent waiting on the phone for the cable company to activate and pair the cards. When he was done, he put his shoes back on and left.

After that, I just reran the Guided Setup.

Now I am watching NFL playoffs in HD.

This was painless.

rudiger

Last edited by rudiger : 01-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #1212
jsessler

TWC in Southern California (Ontario, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, etc.) head-end.

SDV - I've been told that this head-end has lots of bandwidth so no SDV for the foreseeable future.

Had my install setup for last Monday. A TWC contract employee came to install the cable cards.

The contact employees only have access to the 1st tier dispatchers so the entire process involved the tech 2-way calling the dispatcher, repeating the pairing numbers over and over, and then the 1st tier had to relay them to someone else. Not the most efficient method of getting these setup.

Anyway, the tech said it would be 30-60 minutes before the channels switched on, and he decided to split. Big mistake... Never got the channels.

Called tech support twice, they couldn't fix it, and while I kept insisting that we re-check the paring information, they claimed everything was OK.

Called support the following day and asked that they send out a real TWC employee with CC experience. They setup a new appointment for Friday.

On Friday, two TWC people showed up, but they were again contract workers. Tried as they did, they couldn't get it to work. I made them stay for 2+ hours until they could either get a real TWC tech on-site that night, or no later than today (Saturday)... The dispatcher finally caved and setup a 10am call for Saturday.

Today (Saturday), I had two knowledgeable TWC employees at the door at 10am. They took a look at the TiVo CC screens, call directly to the 3rd tier dispatcher named "Steve", and double-checked the paring.

Steve found an issue with the paring info, corrected it, and sent down a CC-init command. The TiVo then displayed a 164 error for the CC cards, and after that all the channels appeared! Maybe a total of 15 minutes.

Moral of the story... Request a real TWC employee do the install and not a contract worker. And no matter what, don't let the tech leave until it works.

On a side note: I was a DirecTV subscriber and moved back to TWC because of all the new HD channels TWC has added in my area. So far, the picture quality looks much better than DirecTV's "HDLite" and it is nice to be back on the Series 3 stand-alone platform where there is a better chance of seeing all those great features.
jsessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #1213
kawertz

I need some help. I've been dealing with TWC Akron Ohio for the past 2 weeks and have a problem. Installer 1 spent 2 hours trying to get CC 1 working with no luck before he just gave up and rescheduled with dispatch for another day, specifically asking not to be the one on the follow up call. Installer 2 came out and we were able to get CC 1 working with out a problem all analog, digital, and HD channels were working great. When we did CC 2 all I got were the analog channels and the HD locals, all the subscribed channels were black. He left with CC 1 working and CC 2 not and rescheduled for the following monday. Installer 3 came out to try and fix the problem left by installer 2. He had the bright idea of trying to just through CC 1 into slot 2 and see if that would work. After this we had the same problem with it only receiving the analog and HD locals, no digital channels or HD tier. So he through the card back in slot 1. When he did the analog channels work as do the HD locals, but now the subscribed channels lock in for a second then they lockup and go black. He had the card "sent through warehouse" and reissued, but the card still does the same thing. CC 2 still doesn't work either.

When dispatch sends EMM/hits to CC1 the counter continues to climb. when they send them to CC2 the counter never goes past 2, and powerkey status will not change from waiting for EMMs.

What can I tell TWC to get them to fix this properly???
Old 01-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #1214
Monty2_2001

Update on my TWC weirdness with billing. I called back today and talked to sales.

I noticed the other day I had this:
01-11-07 01-11-07 STND RECEIVER W/REMOTE 01/11 TO 02/09 $ 4.78

on my bill.. So they said they'll do some inventory thing. Apparenly they won't take my word for it that I don't have an STB.

I also asked what this was on my bill:

01-11-07 01-11-07 ADVANCED SVCS CONVERTER 01/11 TO 02/09 $ 4.83

Apparently this is extra for it being an HDTV STB! It took me many times to explain that all I use are 2 cable cards with the Tivo, and none of their equipment besides those cards.

It's going to take 5 business days of inventory inspection to prove that I don't have any of their hardware. Unreal. They should ask the installer guy at least. I really hope they don't insist that I got this hardware. I mean that's $10 a month they're charging me for all this stuff I don't have! Insane!
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #1215
calalli

kawertz,

I am with TWC Green/Portage Lakes and have the same issue with my cards. I did not realize the trouble until a couple of days after the install, now waiting on a call back from Tech support. If I get a fix I will be sure to let you know.
calalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #1216
bferrell
Now in HD!

FWIW, they can do it right, I have two S3's, and a 5th card in one of my TV's, and all I get are the charges for the 5 cablecards.

B
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #1217
minckster

Has anyone with TWC-New York City been able to get their double or triple play prices with CableCARDs instead of their box? Their bill itemizes the cable box for $6-$8/month (I don't remember the exact price), so I wanted to subtract that and add $3.50/month for the CableCARDs. The best I could do with customer service was to keep the box and add the CableCARDs on top of the package. That just doesn't seem right.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #1218
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

TWC/Raleigh - installer was on time, knew exactly what/how to install the cards for a TiVo Series 3. He said he had done many in the past and thought that the TiVo Series 3 was a nice box (his words). However after 3 days no premium channels were accessible. Cards showed "CP Auth Received" but the decryption status kept going from "Ok" to "Not Ready". Called TWC and they came today, determined it was a problem outside the house and they corrected the issue. Everything seems to be working ok at this point.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #1219
alyssa

Acording to a supervisor at TW, they're out of cable cards in my area in New Hampshire.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #1220
cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa
Acording to a supervisor at TW, they're out of cable cards in my area in New Hampshire.
TW/Raleigh is reportedly out of STB's, too. Amazing that no one is even mentioning cableCARD(tm)... I doubt many of those new HDTV sets are missing a cableCARD(tm) slot. Of course, TW doesn't want people to even know about CC's, much less try to use one.

EDIT: At least the morning announcer was savy enough to suggest people use an antenna. (Hello, it's WRAL -- the first licensed HD broadcaster in the country.) [and on a side note, get an antenna anyway as TW's "HD" isn't, and they don't carry all the OTA stations -- no Smallville in HD!]

Last edited by cramer : 01-18-2007 at 04:05 AM.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #1221
is2scooby

Oceanic Time Warner Cable Hawaii is out of cable cards at the moment also. The first gal I called at customer service/sales didn't even know what they were. Called back and got someone in the know.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #1222
superbad2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by is2scooby
Oceanic Time Warner Cable Hawaii is out of cable cards at the moment also. The first gal I called at customer service/sales didn't even know what they were. Called back and got someone in the know.
From here in Carlsbad, CA, I called the 800 number I got off their web site (it's national number, I believe, they have no local page for our area). They told me they were out of cards and would be for 2-3 months. I found this unbelievable.

So I went to my local office (you can't call it) and they set me up for a next day install. I got very lucky. The guy knew what he was doing and finished within 15 minutes (and he was a sub-contractor). Everything worked first time without a hitch. I did notice many of the same screens described here for successful installs. Needless to say, I was shocked and pleased.

He told me the office knows right away when someone asks for 2 cards it's a Tivo deal, and they send out the good guys. They've had too many 3-4 hour ordeals only to have to send someone else later. So at least one office seems to have learned.

Now we'll see if it holds up.
superbad2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #1223
jcfed

Charlotte, NC install..... Tivo arrived this past Thursday and I ran through the pre setup etc. Install of cards scheduled for yesterday. I requested 2 cards and someone that has done tivo installs before. Customer service didn't have anyone experienced with tivo units but promised to send out someone that is experienced with cable cards. I called back just to confirm the appt etc and remind them I needed 2 cards. So yesterday I see a truck roll up and a total of 3 techs come out. 2 contractors and a salaried TWC employee.... They walk in and I hand them the tivo instructions and point them at it. They have 4 cable cards with them which I take as a good sign....
None of them have ever done a tivo install but they seem to be nice guys. I give them an extra copy of the cablecard installs for them to keep and sit back to watch the festivities.... They write down the card SNs and then pop BOTH of them in at the same time... I didn't say anything since I've read of success stories going this route.
Cable card2 pops up first so they call in to configure it etc and get a tech. they go through the process and then get disconnected. Card is sitting at please wait firmware upgrade in progress.... We wait 30 minutes for this and no change.
At this point I suggest that perhaps we should start over and do 1 card at a time...
So we pop in card 1 call dispatch and get it setup. When we call in the tech on the line doesn't see the card SN on their side so they re enter it and the card pops up and starts taking hits. 2 minutes later all the channels are working....
Cable card 2 goes in and Tivo info sits there and says "Card 2 not in normal operation" crap.... So we try the 3rd card they brought. same message. They call into dispatch and speak with the operator but no one knows what this message means. They confirmed SNs etc so that's not the problem. Tried the 4th card and same message.... At this point we're going on 1.5 hours... I'm hunting through the internet looking for solutions to this and can't really find anything concrete. We try rebooting the Tivo but that doesn't change anything.

Most interesting is that with this 2nd card in the machine we can't watch anything at all using the first card. As soon as we remove the non functioning card2 everything pops up and works just fine. So the techs are confused and can't figure it out and are out of cards. So they leave me with 1 working card and the 1 dead one which I continue to mess around with. I called tech support and spoke with them and confirmed that the SNs are recorded correctly etc. So it just appears that I got dumb luck with crappy cards.

The one guy reschedules with me for the next day to come back with more cards. so I'm sitting here working waiting for our next appt today between 8 and 12....

If anyone has any extra suggestions on correcting this please let me know. I'm hoping it's as easy as the guy walking in this morning popping in a card that works and I'm up and running...
jcfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #1224
jcfed

UPDATE: Same techs as yesterday showed up with 4 more cards. Put the first one in and it recognized the card. Called into TW and actually ended up getting the woman that did the cable card installs for all of panther's stadium. Took her a total of 5 minutes to set everything straight and I'm going through guided setup with 2 working cards now.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #1225
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfed
UPDATE: Same techs as yesterday showed up with 4 more cards. Put the first one in and it recognized the card. Called into TW and actually ended up getting the woman that did the cable card installs for all of panther's stadium. Took her a total of 5 minutes to set everything straight and I'm going through guided setup with 2 working cards now.
In case you want to call your local TW and give them a suggestion for future installs, this is how we got mine to work after getting stuck on "please wait firmware update in progress".

We removed both cards and noticed that the manufacture date listed on the one that hung on the firmware update was older that the one that worked.

We then re-inserted the working card and replaced the other with a card that had the same manufacture date as the working one.

At that point everything started to work correctly on both cards.

It appears that some head-ends have problems performing the firmware update or there was a batch of cards that has problems receiving it. I suspect it is a problem with the head-end, since I believe the cable cards are essentially just flash memory.
BruceShultes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #1226
jcfed

Further update. Interestingly enough the 2nd card receives EMMs and all that good stuff but the powerkey section states that it isn't getting any EMMs. Didn't seem to impact the install and I get all the channels so I'm not complaining.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #1227
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
After many months of waiting, I finally got the S3, and the 60" Samsung DLP is on the way. In the meantime I signed up for $199 lifetime TiVo Service. Then I tried to get the final piece of the puzzle: Cable Cards from Time Warner - Los Angeles (formerly Comcast.)

Okay, Time Warner says the Cable Cards are out of stock. In the meantime they tried to sell me on their dual-tuner DVR, but hey... those are out of stock too.

I went down to the local office (based on superbad2002's advice above) but the CSR confirmed that the Cable Cards are out of stock... the only way to get them when they are in stock, would be via appointment. Just keep calling them, I guess?

Okay... so now I have to wait until they get Cable Cards in. The CSR's had no idea how long it would be, guessing "maybe two months?" This seems a bit crazy.

Oh well, something to look forward to. In the meantime I'll set it up with an OTA antenna. I'm a bit bewildered by this unexpected twist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 01-20-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #1228
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Fofer, I am also getting the DVR and they didn't say anything about that being out of stock either. By the way, they are charging me $1.75 for the first card and around $5 for the second card.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #1229
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Different policies, lineups, prices (and equipment/inventory, I imagine) for each TW office.

I was told, as far as set top box choices go: there's a digital box, a single tuner HD DVR, and a dual tuner HD DVR. At the office all they had was the digital box, the lady was pushing one on me. Said they don't hand out the DVR's, those only come from installers. I left empty-handed.

The scheduled installer apparently will be bringing the single tuner DVR (no dual-tuners in stock, either.)

Of course, I want none of those, and just want two Cable Cards for my S3. When those Cards come in, I'm told the first one is free and the second is $6 or $7.

-shrug-

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #1230
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

She didn't say there were two versions of the HD DVR, but I don't really care as I'll still be using DirecTV until I get a second HDTV and S3 for my living room. I'll eventually move the cable DVR to a second bedroom.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote