TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #751
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
I suggest a small ceremony in which you thank it for it's many years of disservice.
Drag it behind the car on a rope.....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #752
MomCatM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferrell
Nope, but I've got 2 in TW Cinci up and running fine as well. I had a small problem with the second unit, which was completely caused by the backoffice not getting the host id and cable card ids entered correctly. If you can, listen for them to read the numbers back correctly (here they used those Nextel walkie-talkie phones).

Brett

Cincy, huh? I wonder if Dayton and Cincinnati talk to each other? Nah!

I'm going to take the plunge, but whoever comes out here better be prepared to read directions AND follow them!

Thanks!

JLB
MomCatM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #753
briankasper

SoCal (South Bay) Time Warner Install This Weekend

I checked BestBuy.com this morning, and it indicated that the Hawthorne store had S3's in the store, so I swung by today and lo! they had 3 in stock. I had a raincheck from when I went in on 6 October, so I was able to use the online 6-Oct to 9-Oct 10% off coupon I'd printed out, and I walked out the door with an S3. I then went to the local Time Warner office and told the very nice lady behind the counter that I needed to schedule a CableCARD install. I asked if I could do a self-install; she said "No, they have to call in so we can send a signal to the cards".

I said I needed 2 cards; she said "OK".

I mentioned the install was for a Series 3 TiVo and asked if she needed the model number; she said "No, it's all fine, they'll bring two cards".

She scheduled my install for this Saturday between 08:00 and 10:00.

The price for the install is $14.95, and the monthly charge is $1.75/card.

I'll post here as soon as I have info about how the install went.

I'm going to go home tonight and read the installation instructions to see if there's anything I can pre-load to make this smoother (e.g. learn the proper vocabulary so I can tell them to "provision" the card properly, etc.).

Does anyone who's gone through this process in the South Bay have any suggestions as to what I can do before the installers arrive to make this process as smooth as possible?

-B
briankasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #754
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

For those with issues with cable card installs, I would call CSRs and try to get some type of credit. I went online to pay my bill for the month and realized I was not charged for installation and somehow ended up with an 85 dollar credit which covers my bill for over a month. I don't know if this was due to calling CSR or contacting someone I knew at TW. Worth a try.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #755
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankasper
I checked BestBuy.com this morning, and it indicated that the Hawthorne store had S3's in the store, so I swung by today and lo! they had 3 in stock. I had a raincheck from when I went in on 6 October, so I was able to use the online 6-Oct to 9-Oct 10% off coupon I'd printed out, and I walked out the door with an S3. I then went to the local Time Warner office and told the very nice lady behind the counter that I needed to schedule a CableCARD install. I asked if I could do a self-install; she said "No, they have to call in so we can send a signal to the cards".

I said I needed 2 cards; she said "OK".

I mentioned the install was for a Series 3 TiVo and asked if she needed the model number; she said "No, it's all fine, they'll bring two cards".

She scheduled my install for this Saturday between 08:00 and 10:00.

The price for the install is $14.95, and the monthly charge is $1.75/card.

I'll post here as soon as I have info about how the install went.

I'm going to go home tonight and read the installation instructions to see if there's anything I can pre-load to make this smoother (e.g. learn the proper vocabulary so I can tell them to "provision" the card properly, etc.).

Does anyone who's gone through this process in the South Bay have any suggestions as to what I can do before the installers arrive to make this process as smooth as possible?

-B
Just an FYI. I know where Hawthorne is. I also know about the South Bay.

But there are lots of Hawthorne's in this country and believe it or not the South Bay in So Cal isn't the only one.

You may want to include your actual location. (Notice - I live in N.E. Ohio.)
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #756
Sy-

Oceanic Time Warner in Hawaii

Everything went real smooth with my install. I had 2 techs come out, one was there just to watch. Total time at my house was 40 min but it took about 10 minutes for the signal to hit each of my cards. But all in all it was a real smooth transaction. Especially considering that they were also recovering from an island wide blackout from the day before.

~Sy
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #757
briankasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Just an FYI. I know where Hawthorne is. I also know about the South Bay.

But there are lots of Hawthorne's in this country and believe it or not the South Bay in So Cal isn't the only one.

You may want to include your actual location. (Notice - I live in N.E. Ohio.)
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought I had the geolocation covered in the title of my original post, "SoCal (South Bay) Time Warner Install This Weekend", but since that obviously wasn't clear, I'll try to state it more clearly in the future.

For the record, I'm in Southern California, Greater Los Angeles Area, "South Bay" region.

-B
Old 10-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #758
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought I had the geolocation covered in the title of my original post, "SoCal (South Bay) Time Warner Install This Weekend", but since that obviously wasn't clear, I'll try to state it more clearly in the future.

For the record, I'm in Southern California, Greater Los Angeles Area, "South Bay" region.

-B
I totally missed your title. My bad.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #759
rschissler

I'm from San Diego (also in So Cal) and when South Bay is referred to around here, it means south of San Diego in the Chula Vista area.
rschissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #760
briankasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschissler
I'm from San Diego (also in So Cal) and when South Bay is referred to around here, it means south of San Diego in the Chula Vista area.
Yup, I'm going to be more careful about making my geographic location clear when I post a description of my install experience. Thanks for the reminder.

-B
Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #761
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Yup, I'm going to be more careful about making my geographic location clear when I post a description of my install experience. Thanks for the reminder.

-B
If you put your location in your user profile, it will be obvious.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #762
GibsonCRG

Time Warner Cable Austin

I'm in Round Rock, TX ... don't know if we're a different division of Time Warner Cable from the actual city of Austin ... but recently scheduled 2 CableCARDs for my new Tivo Series 3 hooked up to a HDTV.

The cards are $3.75 each per month, with a rumor that they are increasing the prices to just over $4 each next month (per my install tech).

The scheduling was straightforward: call their main line, wait about 10-15 minutes to talk to a live person. Told them I wanted a CableCARD, and while they knew what it was, they were a bit resistant. Once I told them it was for a TiVo, though, they stopped fighting me!

Getting two cards schedule was also not a problem; there was about a 5-6 day wait before they could get a tech out to "install" them, and they confirmed that a tech was required.

The tech came on time, and seemed resigned to a long day at my house. This was his first CableCARD install, but he said that his fellow techs had all shook their heads sadly and told him the install was going to suck rocks.

The tech read the "cheat sheet" that came with the TiVo carefully, stuck in the first card, and the TiVo pretty much held our hands from there. The only thing we ran into was the (typically long) wait time for even the tech to talk to the central office, which was long enough that the screen that tells you the two ID numbers you need went away. So, recommendation: WRITE DOWN THOSE NUMBERS EACH TIME as soon as they appear!

The second card went as smoothly as the first. We had to flip through a few stations, and then the cards went into a firmware update mode, but basically it was a painless process, with no real good reason for a tech to do the install. There was no charge as far as I know (TWC here has you pay the install tech for the installation fees), but I havne't received my next bill yet.

The TiVo 3 is working just fine with my HD signal here in Round Rock, and can happily record HD or regular content from either (or both) tuners.

So to summarize: straightforward scheduling, relatively simple installation, working with no problems, and a little bummed about price (but I'll about net out to no change in cost once I send the HD converter box back to the cable company).

Cheers!

..Chris..
GibsonCRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #763
hookbill
Feathered Member

I'm with TW (old Adelphia) in the Cleveland area and they have a very wierd way of charging for cable cards. It's 1.75 for the first card and the second one goest to 4.75. "They always charge more for anything you order more then one of" was the explanation I got from the CSR.

I always thought in the world of commerce, the more you buy the cheaper it is.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #764
adamsd

TW San Diego

I just set up an appointment with Time Warner San Diego. There were no problems in getting 2 cable cards when I mentioned that I needed it for a Tivo box, there is a $30 install fee. They were quick too, they were able to schedule an appointment for tomorrow, too bad I do not get my Tivo box till next week. I will post an update after the install. Hope it goes smoothly.
adamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #765
kentfuka

Thumbs up Tivo S3 HD works (sorta) on TWC Austin SDV network

It took a day and a half and visits by three techs, but my S3 works on the Switched Digital Video (SDV) cable network that TWC runs throughout Austin.

There was a problem with authorization for premium channels. It turns out that the TWC Austin phone tech support folks don't have the latest version of software to remotely authorize the newest revs of Scientific Atlanta CableCARDS. The Network Operations folks ("DNSC") had to do the enabling steps remotely for the technician. Everybody at TWC was friendly, and nobody seemed biased against Tivos. Hopefully the phone support staff in Austin will soon have the latest software to make the process go more smoothly.

With SDV there are 113 digital cable channels and PPV channels that can't be accessed with CableCARDs. Fortunately, all of these are uninteresting (to me at least).

Thanks to Dustin (my TWC Austin field tech) and Josh (my TWC phone tech) for their help.
kentfuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #766
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentfuka
It took a day and a half and visits by three techs, but my S3 works on the Switched Digital Video (SDV) cable network that TWC runs throughout Austin.

There was a problem with authorization for premium channels. It turns out that the TWC Austin phone tech support folks don't have the latest version of software to remotely authorize the newest revs of Scientific Atlanta CableCARDS. The Network Operations folks ("DNSC") had to do the enabling steps remotely for the technician. Everybody at TWC was friendly, and nobody seemed biased against Tivos. Hopefully the phone support staff in Austin will soon have the latest software to make the process go more smoothly.

With SDV there are 113 digital cable channels and PPV channels that can't be accessed with CableCARDs. Fortunately, all of these are uninteresting (to me at least).

Thanks to Dustin (my TWC Austin field tech) and Josh (my TWC phone tech) for their help.
Kent,

What digital channels did you lose access to?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #767
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Kent,

What digital channels did you lose access to?
Any Pay-Per-View or Video-on-Demand channel will be unaccessible with a 1.0 cablecard, regardless of if the provider uses switched video. If there are SDV channels in Austin, they're either premiums I don't get or something I don't watch because I haven't found them yet.

[Edit: I should note that use of SDV can vary from one neighborhood to another within the same area, so your mileage may vary!]
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #768
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Any Pay-Per-View or Video-on-Demand channel will be unaccessible with a 1.0 cablecard, regardless of if the provider uses switched video. If there are SDV channels in Austin, they're either premiums I don't get or something I don't watch because I haven't found them yet.

[Edit: I should note that use of SDV can vary from one neighborhood to another within the same area, so your mileage may vary!]
Thats what I was hoping... I watch several of the channels in the 'digital tier' such as military channel, science channel, history international etc... When SDV arrives, I dont want to lose those... PPV, VOD.. knew that and dont care if i lose those... Another burning question is when ESPN2HD comes (if ever) will it be available to cablecard.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #769
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Another burning question is when ESPN2HD comes (if ever) will it be available to cablecard.
I would be willing to bet it will come to you. I'm newly switched from Adelphia in the buy out to Time Warner and we have had ESPN2 HD for some time now. I'm not certain about it but I'm pretty sure it is in the Cincinnati area too which has been TW for a while. And I'm receiving it just fine via cable card.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #770
jmjerome

I got my box yesterday (10/19/06) and I have TWC Los Angeles (WeHo) coming out tomorrow. I've read and printed out all the information for the TWC guy and I anticipate that I will do the work and he will call to activate the cards. I've set up my S3 and I can't believe how much I love it. I didn't know that I could record two HD OTA channels at the same time with one line in. I was able to program my remote to work with S3 and HR10-250 without effecting each other. I will keep you posted on how my Cable Card install goes tomorrw. So far, very pleased.
jmjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #771
pashasurf7873

help in hawaii

Aloha,
I was about to buy my series 3 after having tivo since 2000 was excited to go HD. when asked about pricing, my local TIME WARNER sent me this:

Exchange with Time Warner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the email message string this afternoon with TW. Go figure.

Aloha!

1. as I stated previously, the Duplicate service charge does not include
the HD Entertainment Package. The Duplicate service charge only includes
the equipment rental fee, digital cable service, and any premium movie
channels in your subscription. Each device that is receiving the HD
Entertainment Package is billed for that package.

2. Yes, we are aware of the current limitations of the technology. You
can install a single CableCard in your Tivo and only record one channel
at a time.

3. The CableCards are billed for each device, each CableCard is a
separate device. You could obtain the HD DVR without the duplicate
service charge, however you would still be billed for the HD
Entertainment package which is required to have any HD cable box.

You could also rent the CableCards for $3.10 each, however they would
only be able to receive the Standard Cable Service. They would not
receive the authorization to receive the HD Entertainment Package, the
Digital Cable Package, nor the HBO or Showtime.

4. Because that is how the company decided to do the billing.

5. Everything is NOT going HD. That is a common misconception. HD and
Digital are two very different things. The FCC is only requiring a
change to Digital, not HD.

6. I am sorry, but it does not appear the same from our point of view.
We bill per device that receives premium programming in the home. If you
TiVo requires 2 of those devices then the account should be charged for
each one.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at the appropriate number below.
When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as all
previous correspondence regarding this issue.

Cable TV or Internet:
Billing: 643-2100
Sales: 643-2337
Repair: 643-2300

Digital Phones:
Billing: 643-3333
Sales: 643-3663
Repair: 611 from your digital phone or 643-6611

Thank you,
Nick S.
Oceanic Time Warner Cable

So, to sum it up: to use a Tivo S3 in Hawaii it will cost us $36.10 extra a month....PLUS Tivo monthly fee.

Any advice?
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #772
mercurial
Retro-Av

That's freakin' crazy!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #773
funtoupgrade

Don't know whether anybody else posted in this thread about TW in Cypress, CA. I talked with a sales rep yesterday and they indicated first cable card is free and a second is $6.95 per month. They can be picked up at their office. I currently have standard cable only from Comcast which has just been switched to TW and was trying to figure out how much more it would be to switch to digital. Since I am switching my internet from TW to ATT I will now have the option of remaining with TW for TV or going the dish route. There are lots of choices now.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 10-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #774
Sy-

Oceanic Time Warner in Hawaii

I lost my digital programming on my 2 cable cards Wednesdat night. Only the 2 HD stations that are also in clear qam were available as well as the analog stations. I called the repair service number and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey I lost the digital stations on the 2 cable cards that were installed on Monday.
TW: Are you at your TV now?
Me: No I'm at work. Can you just re-hit them.
TW: Ok I'll hit em now. Give us a call back if the channels are not working when you get home.
Me: OK Thanks, Bye!
TW: Bye!

I got home and the channels were working again. Their customer service is good. Their pricing scheme still needs some work though.

~Sy
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #775
2farrell

Raleigh/Durham, NC area.

Got CableCARDs installed today but not without some problems.
The person that turned up was a contractor for TWC.
He had not installed these in a Series 3 TiVo but had be given a briefing and was told to call in for instructions.
I gave him the sheet and told him he has to follow the instuctions TiVo has put on there.
He looked at it then put it down and said he had been told to call in and follow their (TWC's) instructions over the phone.
He wasn't rude or anything but he did start to ask why I was going with a TiVo when they had their own DVR. Found out later TWC is getting TiVo Software late next year in their DVR's per Scientific Atlanta. He was cool with my answer (after all, what was he going to do if he wasn't?)
The first card went in, he read some numbers off the screen and then got told to insert the next one in. I said isn't he going to check the card is working OK by going through the channels. He ignored me while the person on the other end continued to blab in his ear.
This is when things got really messed up.
He installed the second card and after the conformation, got a message from the card that no information was available.
There was then a bunch of popping cards in and out in random order.
He even blammed the splitter I was using (which was fine with their ugly Cable Box.
I got quite annoyed at one point and said if they had followed TiVo's instructions this would not have happened.
I then got very upset when I heard the supervisor state that TiVo has made the task "very difficult".
I'm sorry but they made the task bad by ignoring instruction and going off in their own tangent.
Finally the installer believed me and said to the supervisor about the instructions.
Again the idiot supervisor said to ignore them as "they cause too much confusion".
At this point the installer was on hold.
I insisted we start over and be patient.
He put the first card in and waited.
Unfortunately the idiot came back on and told him to put the spare card in #2 slot.
Both gave the no information message and just as the idiot (supervisor on the other end of the phone) said the cards must be bad, Card 1 came up with the proper information screen. He read off a bunch of information and made sure everything was correct.
Then went to Card 2 and this was now coming up too.
He verified all the channels were being received.
He did say that TiVo had told them the should use brand new, unused cards.
Don't know if this is true or not.
What I do know is if they had followed the TiVo instructions they might have saved themselves some grief.
TWC need to do a much better job of training all their installers.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
2farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 AM   #776
H.I.McDunnough

After reading this entire thread, I think I have a somewhat unique situation, and want some advice from some experts.

I was on DirecTV, no HD. I switched to TW Cable (HD) Austin a few weeks ago. Initially, I started with an S3, and not the 8300HD from TW Cable. Four visits and probably 10 hours later, I was able to only get some channels to appear (some HD locals, but not others. ESPN, but not Discovery...I didn't go through an exhaustive check). Before I could schedule the 5th appointment, my TiVo crapped out: as soon as it powered up and I got the first menu, it would reboot, over and over. I called TiVo support, and they sent me a new one. In the interim, I picked up an 8300HD, and that is now working perfectly -- I get all the channels.

So, of course I have the two cablecards from the previous partial installation. They were provisioned, or matched, or initialized, or whatever, but as I stated above, they weren't able to pick up all the channels (maybe this was because I had a bad TiVo -- I don't know).

So, my question is: can I / should I install my TiVo, get it all setup, and do the cable card process myself? The very last thing that I want is another TW Austin tech to come out to learn how to install cablecards for 8 hours at my house. Will they let me do this without a technician on-site? Do I have to ask for someone special when I call? I'll do anything to make this as smooth a process as possible.
H.I.McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #777
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.McDunnough
So, my question is: can I / should I install my TiVo, get it all setup, and do the cable card process myself? The very last thing that I want is another TW Austin tech to come out to learn how to install cablecards for 8 hours at my house. Will they let me do this without a technician on-site? Do I have to ask for someone special when I call? I'll do anything to make this as smooth a process as possible.
It wouldn't hurt to try. The new TiVo should have new host IDs, so at the very least you'll need to call in to get the cards authorized for it. I'd try calling in to see if they'll do it, and if they insist on a tech, try calling back and hope for a CSR that will just do it over the phone. As you know, there is no reason they really need a truck roll, other than they don't trust their customers.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #778
alee

Anyone in the TWCNYC area lose their premium HD channels (grey screen)?

701, 703, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710 and are no longer coming in on either CableCARD.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #779
pashasurf7873

Time Warner (Oceanic) Hawaii pricing!!!!!!

HOW CRAZY:

>The HDTV Entertainment package is not included in the duplicate service
>fee. It is charged per device.
>
>The CableCards are $3.10 each with no premium programming on them. To
>receive the Digital Cable Service on the cards, the Duplicate Service
>Fee of $8.00 would apply instead of the $3.10 card charge.
>
>Here is a breakdown of the charges:
>
>HD DVR:
>Duplicate Service Charge: $8.00*
>Digital Video Recorder Service: $9.95
>HD Entertainment Package: $6.95
>Total: $24.95
>
>CableCard:
>Duplicate Service Charge: $8.00*
>HD Entertainment Package: $6.95
>Total: $14.95 each.
>
>* Duplicate Service charge includes box/CableCard rental, digital cable
>service, HBO and Showtime on the additional device
>
>
>
>
>If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
>or contact our Customer Care Department at the appropriate number
below.
>When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as
all
>previous correspondence regarding this issue.
>
>Cable TV or Internet:
> Billing: 643-2100
> Sales: 643-2337
> Repair: 643-2300
>
>Digital Phones:
> Billing: 643-3333
> Sales: 643-3663
> Repair: 611 from your digital phone or 643-6611
>
>Thank you,
>Nick S.
>Oceanic Time Warner Cable
>
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #780
jmjerome

TWC SoCal Los Angeles - Just installed my cable cards, 1st card worked right away. 2nd card didn't work. 3rd card works great. It took less than 40 mins. Happy Happy!
jmjerome is offline   Reply With Quote