TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #691
sdawge

OK .. cable guy showed up on time this morning. I told him in addition to having to have another card installed that I wasn't recieving all of my channels. In the process of installing the second card the dispatcher removed the first card from the computer. That left me with 0 cards. They now have the first card back in. Still only have basic channels. They are totally stumped.
They called the cable card suport line. The support guy there said that the cards might be in the computer but they aren't in the DAC. Now that sent a wave of confusion across the tech and dispatcher .. they don't know who to call now.
If only I could put up a 300 ft tower I would go to an antennae :-)
sdawge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #692
sdawge

To add to this .. when we use the 'test channels' on either card it says no channels available .. but when I go to live tv we get basic channels.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #693
sdawge

This is getting funny .. the now have to get two new cards for some reason. So they said they would be back in an hour. They ( oh ya .. there are two techs here now) walked out and came in with two new cards .. how amazing .. lol
Old 10-09-2006, 02:44 PM   #694
sdawge

Miracle of miracles .. I am now up and running with all of my channels. So apparently whatever this 'DAC' is, its important to the cards. If they aren't on the DAC they aren't going to receive proper authorization.
Good luck to everyone......
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #695
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawge
Miracle of miracles .. I am now up and running with all of my channels. So apparently whatever this 'DAC' is, its important to the cards. If they aren't on the DAC they aren't going to receive proper authorization.
Sure they didn't say "MAC"? CableCARDs generally have a MAC address just like a cable modem or ethernet card. I'm not sure if they ever used it but before they got my cards working in Austin somebody back at the office asked for the MAC address of the cards in addition to the card and host ID's reported on the info screen. They also generally keep track of the card serial number, but that's typically only used for inventory tracking.

Last edited by pmiranda : 10-09-2006 at 03:03 PM.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #696
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawge

DAC is "Digital Access Controller"

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalo...ecard%20dac%22

http://chapters.scte.org/goldengate/.../CableCard.ppt
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #697
pmiranda

Oh, OK, What Motorola calls a "Unit Address" seems to be what SciAtl calls the "MAC address", at least on the cards I've got.

Interesting that Motorola also uses a "Data" number in addition to the Card and Host ID's.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #698
m021478

I just received my new Series 3 TiVo today, and my first order of business was to call Time-Warner (New York City) to arrange to have done whatever needed to be done in order to allow me to utilize the dual-tuner capabilities of this device...they verified a couple of things and finally said that it wouldn't be a problem to get me the cable cards needed by the TiVo...Then came the bummer...they told me the next installation appointment available was on Oct. 31st....more than three weeks away!

I figure I can deal with that, but in the meantime, I'm eager to get my TiVo setup and running, and perhaps begin recording shows (or at the very least, allowing it to download all of the network content so that when my installation date comes about, I am ready to go)...

This brings me to MY MAIN QUESTION - Can the series 3 TiVo be somehow configure to work as a standard analog (non-HD; non- cablecard) TiVo on a temporary basis? In other words, assuming that I do no have any cablecards installed in the TiVo (because I am using a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 3250HD cable box - with Time Warner Cable in NYC - that for some reason has a slot for a cablecard, but doesn't actually have any removable cablecards in that slot), is it possible to hook up the components so that the cable box (which will obviously eventually be replaced by the TiVo unit), is the one that receives the coax cable coming from the wall, and then I would theoretically connect the cablebox to the Series 3 TiVo, and then to the TV from there? Is this possible? How would I go about using the TiVo to control the cable box to change channels, as the Series 3 TiVo doesn't have an IR input for IR cables to control a cable box like the series 2 TiVo's had...I would assume that it would be impossible based on some of these fundamentals...

Can anyone confirm this, or perhaps offer a way in which such a configuration would be possible? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
m021478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #699
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by m021478
This brings me to MY MAIN QUESTION - Can the series 3 TiVo be somehow configure to work as a standard analog (non-HD; non- cablecard) TiVo on a temporary basis? In other words, assuming that I do no have any cablecards installed in the TiVo (because I am using a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 3250HD cable box - with Time Warner Cable in NYC - that for some reason has a slot for a cablecard, but doesn't actually have any removable cablecards in that slot), is it possible to hook up the components so that the cable box (which will obviously eventually be replaced by the TiVo unit), is the one that receives the coax cable coming from the wall, and then I would theoretically connect the cablebox to the Series 3 TiVo, and then to the TV from there? Is this possible? How would I go about using the TiVo to control the cable box to change channels, as the Series 3 TiVo doesn't have an IR input for IR cables to control a cable box like the series 2 TiVo's had...I would assume that it would be impossible based on some of these fundamentals...

Can anyone confirm this, or perhaps offer a way in which such a configuration would be possible? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
The S3 can NOT control a cable box. Nor a satellite box. This has been discussed to no end.

Without CableCards, it can record analog cable (1-99), and OTA (Over-The-Air) signals. If you are in NYC, you can probably get something OTA, and use it that way until the CC arrive.

Bummer about the installation date. Keep calling back to try for an earlier one.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #700
rodalpho

Yep. I'm in manhattan, they took around 3 weeks to schedule my appointment also. It was a real bummer.

You can pick up the 1-99 channels, and if you run a manual channel scan you'll get the digital versions also. Most of the guide data will be wrong, unfortunately. Channels 1-13 are correct though, which includes all of the networks, CW, and PBS, all in digital format which come in as great quality 480i.

If you buy a cheapo antenna you can probably pick up some networks in HD. I had a great deal of difficulty with this, but I live on the third floor in the middle of the city and my TV isn't near the window. Umm, and I was using a long coax cable stripped down and wrapped around a clothes hangar.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #701
pmiranda

Using a real TV antenna helps, but I hooked up an old FM antenna I had lying around up and with a little experimentation with positioning it I can pull in the one station TW-Austin doesn't carry in HD (the CW) with the S3. It's really a remarkably great OTA tuner. I did this for a week while waiting to get my CableCARDs. Beware that you only get a week of TiVo service without registering. Sadly my free service ran out the very night I finally got my CableCARDs working but I was able to transfer lifetime from my old TiVo within a couple hours.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #702
kssearle

Smile Success (and praise for TWC's tenacity!)

I posted a message last week expressing frustration with the problems involved in getting my Series 3 up and running. TWC had been out FIVE times (I think... they all seem to run together in my mind) and I had been reduced to using THEIR DVR and was ready to return my Tivo (a lost cause). Well, the sixth time was the charm. The service supervisor and one of his guys came out on Saturday morning and spent two hours getting the installation right. They evaluated the signal loss between TWC's box and my TV and decided that they needed to install a new line. They did this quickly, and very neatly, too. They took pains to route the new cable so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I've got be be honest here, I literally cheered when the first CableCard they installed actually WORKED! Then the second one worked too! We were all (TWC and me) very, very happy. These guys really did a great job (Brian and Victor in Simi Valley, CA) and I am very happy with TWC at this point; they went the extra mile. I think we need to understand that this is new technology for them and that they're really trying hard to come up to speed on it.

Later on Saturday, I discovered that some channels (both analog and HD) weren't coming in through one of the CableCards. I called TWC on Monday and Brian sent Victor back out Monday evening; he replaced the CableCard and now both tuners are working perfectly!

I think that the message here is that you need to be determined, after all the goal is worth attaining since Tivo is way, way better than TWC's own HD DVRs! Be firm with TWC, but work with them and you'll eventually get there! And yes, you really do catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

Good luck, and remember that success is possible!
kssearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #703
jacksonian

People have given TWC a lot of crap over the years. But you have to look at all these posts of people having 5 & 10 multi-hour, multi-technician, multi-supervisor visits and phone calls for a total of what, the $20-$30 truck roll installation fee. And this is to support a product that is their competition and will lose them money.

I find that pretty impressive.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #704
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
People have given TWC a lot of crap over the years. But you have to look at all these posts of people having 5 & 10 multi-hour, multi-technician, multi-supervisor visits and phone calls for a total of what, the $20-$30 truck roll installation fee. And this is to support a product that is their competition and will lose them money.

I don't. They are required to offer something, and do not train people on how to install it or enable it from the backend. The cable companies themselves essentially run CableLabs, so its not like any of this is that far out there.

It seems most people here are practically installing the cards themselves, and all the techs are doing is calling in the numbers. That's something we can do ourselves!

Signal issues, etc. might need a tech. But if the cable cos. had better signals coming in to the house, it wouldn't be an issue. My old place had a horrible signal coming in, but they didn't want to replace the cable from the pole. Seems like its THEIR line, and THEIR signal, not a problem with the wiring in my house. The telephone company would be REQUIRED to fix it since its on their side of the box.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #705
rlay

No HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN-HD, and Discovery HD

Another installer was here, and he reset the cablecards, had dispatch hit them again, reset the TIVO, and installed them in order according to the instructions....and still no HD Package channels.

He went away to do some research, and he was going to try tuning in those channels on a Cablecard TV they had in the office.

He called me about an hour later to tell me that the central system in El Centro does not support those channels over cablecards and in order to watch them I would have to use the Motorola box. He went on and on about the hardware here not being the same versions as what they have in major metros, etc.

He didn't want to hear anything about the DAC and the other stuff that had been posted here.

So in essence, I'm paying an extra $15/month for a second DVR/HD reciever to watch sports in HD on ESPN and just a few extra HD channels. On the bright side, I have the option of using the Motorola on another TV in another part of the house or if both tuners on the TIVO are recording something...and I can do PPV on that system.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #706
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian

I would agree that TWC has spent a lot of money rolling trucking and with CSRs to deal with this. Although I'm in a situation where they are now making more money out of me because they can't configure come HD channels over cablecards for the TIVO.

I'm paying $13/month for the Tivo Service plus $15/month for the Motorola HD-DVR for the remainder of the channels and an additional $5/month for the Cablecards. So between the TIVO service and the Cablecard rental, I'm actually paying $3 more a month just to use the TIVO....and if I continue to keep their Motorola DVR for the channels the Tivo can't get, I'm paying a total of $33 a month more to have 100% of the channels I'm already paying for and the TIVO. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the Motorola or not. Getting rid of the Tivo is not an option.... because DirecTV does not offer local channels for my area (and OTA is pretty bad).

Last edited by rlay : 10-10-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #707
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
He went away to do some research, and he was going to try tuning in those channels on a Cablecard TV they had in the office.
Why didn't he research BEFORE he came over? They do realize you were having problems.

Quote:
He didn't want to hear anything about the DAC and the other stuff that had been posted here.
Nope, they have to abide by FCC regulations. I don't recal if you have told TiVo about this but you should. This is not a small cable company, this is TW and they are bound to the rules of the FCC.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #708
pmiranda

It is possible that some channels just won't be available to a cablecard (ie anything switched), but most likely you just got somebody that's too lazy to find out the right way to provision your cablecard. Keep calling customer service until you talk to somebody that knows what to do with the card and host ID from the TiVo screen (along with data code if it's there), and the DAC or MAC # from the cablecard's label. You can also try asking for a supervisor. The only reason a truck roll should be needed is if you have poor signal strength. I get low 90's on the TiVo signal strength screen and pull in every channel I subscribe to.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #709
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Why didn't he research BEFORE he came over? They do realize you were having problems.

Nope, they have to abide by FCC regulations. I don't recal if you have told TiVo about this but you should. This is not a small cable company, this is TW and they are bound to the rules of the FCC.

I did speak to TIVO and they said that it's all about the Cablecard setup with TWC and that there is nothing they can do about it. They offered to talk to the technician, but he ignored the request when I offered it.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #710
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
It is possible that some channels just won't be available to a cablecard (ie anything switched), but most likely you just got somebody that's too lazy to find out the right way to provision your cablecard. Keep calling customer service until you talk to somebody that knows what to do with the card and host ID from the TiVo screen (along with data code if it's there), and the DAC or MAC # from the cablecard's label. You can also try asking for a supervisor. The only reason a truck roll should be needed is if you have poor signal strength. I get low 90's on the TiVo signal strength screen and pull in every channel I subscribe to.
How do I tell if a channel is switched? Can I look at something on the Motorola box?

The status screen for the cablecard does say "Waiting to Start" and "Segments to Download: 0".... I've never seen it say anything else.

I have the local supervisors cell and office number, and I will call him. The only problem is that I am traveling for the next week or so. I will try the call center again as well.

I'm close to giving up and living with both boxes. This has eaten too much of my time....
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #711
pmiranda

Quote:
How do I tell if a channel is switched? Can I look at something on the Motorola box?
You might be able to tell from the signal strength screen if you get that far. If your CC is not authorized even that might not work. I'll need to look and see what it shows for channels I know to be switched here in Austin...I suspect signal strength will be 0 on them, as opposed to channels that I know I could get but I'm simply not authorized for, like HBO (I'm cheap).

Quote:
The status screen for the cablecard does say "Waiting to Start" and "Segments to Download: 0".... I've never seen it say anything else.
There should be another screen that just shows the card and host ID, although I have never seen a Motorola system in the flesh.

Quote:
I have the local supervisors cell and office number, and I will call him. The only problem is that I am traveling for the next week or so. I will try the call center again as well.

I'm close to giving up and living with both boxes. This has eaten too much of my time....
In my experience there are a few folks that know what they're doing with CC's and everyone else is worthless. Keep calling back or ask to be transferred to other people until you happen to find one of The Few. Once you get someone that knows their stuff, you should be able to get everything working in half an hour.

Be sure you follow the correct procedure:
0) Make sure neither CableCARD is doing a firmware upgrade
1) Restart TiVo
2) Unplug power when it displays the starting up screen
3) Remove both CableCARDs - keep track of which was which so you don't have to re-pair them in case the cableco has already done something right. Write down the serial # and DAC/MAC # from each card
4) Wait a minute
5) Plug back in
6) Wait for it to get to TiVo Central
7) Plug in the lower CableCARD
8) Go to the cablecard info screen to get the card and host ID

Call in and verify that they have your account "balanced", that is, they have it down in their system that you have digital service, premiums, sports packs, etc on both your regular boxes and your cablecards.
Give them the information for the first cablecard.
Wait 4~5 minutes for the "hit" to reach your cablecard. On Austin's Scientific Atlanta system you'll see the card status screen indicate authorization, then receipt of EMMs, then receipt of ECMs. I'm not sure what you see on a Motorola system. You'll have to exit and re-enter the status screen to see any updates.
Go to test channels for that card and start checking for everything you're supposed to get. It can take several minutes for all the channels to show up.

Only after the first card is working completely should you insert the second card and get it provisioned. Some folks have done both at once with success but I like to keep things simple.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #712
rlay

Quote:
You might be able to tell from the signal strength screen if you get that far. If your CC is not authorized even that might not work. I'll need to look and see what it shows for channels I know to be switched here in Austin...I suspect signal strength will be 0 on them, as opposed to channels that I know I could get but I'm simply not authorized for, like HBO (I'm cheap).
I am getting 95+% signal on the missing channels and the channel banner shows up in the Test Channels Menu.

I am on the phone right now with the TWC call center. I explained the whole story to the CSR...told her about the technicians never asking or sended the Host ID & other numbers....She wrote them down for both cards and is waiting for a supervisor. She also said that see saw some "DAC" things on her screen, but did not know what that meant or how to change them. Hopefully someone will get on who understands how to pair the cards correctly.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #713
rlay

Quote:
I am getting 95+% signal on the missing channels and the channel banner shows up in the Test Channels Menu.

I am on the phone right now with the TWC call center. I explained the whole story to the CSR...told her about the technicians never asking or send the Host ID & other numbers....She wrote them down for both cards and is waiting for a supervisor. She also said that see saw some "DAC" things on her screen, but did not know what that meant or how to change them. Hopefully someone will get on who understands how to pair the cards correctly.
No dice. The supervisor said they already have all the numbers they need. The CSR was nice enough to walk through the install process as per the instructions (setting up one card at a time). The channels are still missing.

She did tell me that many of the TWC systems are changing the way they deal with the HD channels, and that they were going to have their own allocations on the system, particularly HDNET, etc. (the channels I'm missing). I don't know if that meant "switched" access.

Funny that I have an HD Tivo, but I only get 3 HD channels. My neighbor got a huge aerial antenna and gets a couple of more OTA network channels with his DirecTV, but I'm not ready to spend the addition effort for 2 more channels that I get in SD anyway.

My next move is to call the area director when I get back from my business trip next week.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #714
pmiranda

These are the same folks that "don't have HD cable cards"? Sorry to hear your troubles. Maybe by the time you get back they'll have figured out what they're doing but I think you've already been at this awhile, no?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:08 AM   #715
rlay

Quote:
These are the same folks that "don't have HD cable cards"? Sorry to hear your troubles. Maybe by the time you get back they'll have figured out what they're doing but I think you've already been at this awhile, no?
Yeah...I hope so. It's been more than a month since I received the S3.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 AM   #716
Scopeman
2 x Basic Roamio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrow
I subscribe to the digital tier, the hd tier, and the sports pak. I can watch every channel on the S3 that I get on my SA3250 except for 408 (the new News 8 Sports loop channel). I haven't worried about that, yet.
I am also in Round Rock. I only use the S3 to capture standard cable (no digital). So you can imagine I was pleased when I found channel 408 being transmitted in analog on channel 0 (zero). Weird.

So no need for a CableCard to get the News 8 Sports Loop channel on TimeWarner in Round Rock.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #717
dlcrow

Quote:
So no need for a CableCard to get the News 8 Sports Loop channel on TimeWarner in Round Rock.
With a CableCARD, you can't get it, though. The Tivo will only tune channels in the channel map provided to the CableCARD and 0 isn't one of those channels.

I also found that I don't get Boomerang (channel 111). No biggie for the S3 since the kids have their own S2 they use to record stuff on that channel.

-- david
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #718
H.I.McDunnough

Another TW Austin customer experience.

The guy that came out was a very nice guy, and I was immediately relieved when I asked him if he had done one of these before. His response "Yep. Done five of them. They're a pain in the behind. First one took 11 hours over three trips. Second one was a little less painful, but the other three went pretty smooth." I'm thinking, sweet, I got someone who knows what he is doing. As proof that he knew what he was doing, he had a fistful of CableCards ready for any contingencies.

Four hours later, he leaves with the "updating firmware" message on the screen. We got a few random channels to work, but most of the problem seemed to be on the dispatch side.

He will come back out today and hopefully fix the problem.
H.I.McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #719
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.McDunnough
Another TW Austin customer experience.

The guy that came out was a very nice guy, and I was immediately relieved when I asked him if he had done one of these before. His response "Yep. Done five of them. They're a pain in the behind. First one took 11 hours over three trips. Second one was a little less painful, but the other three went pretty smooth." I'm thinking, sweet, I got someone who knows what he is doing. As proof that he knew what he was doing, he had a fistful of CableCards ready for any contingencies.

Four hours later, he leaves with the "updating firmware" message on the screen. We got a few random channels to work, but most of the problem seemed to be on the dispatch side.

He will come back out today and hopefully fix the problem.

A tech who "knew what he was doing" took 5 hours and still didn't get it done? My installers had never installed one and got it done in less then an hour and that was after I went through the set up mode again, they stuck around for that.

And this guy gave you the fuzzy warms?

I know all cable companies have different systems but this just seems unreal. My installer brought out several cards as well, all brand new and we did have a bit of a problem with the second card but that was because we kept jumping to the config screen instead of waiting. Otherwise it would have been done in 45 minutes.

Did you make sure that he installed one card at a time and read the proper info to the person at head end? Did he talk about mergine or "marrying" the cards?

It just shouldn't take so long if you follow directions.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #720
H.I.McDunnough

Quote:
And this guy gave you the fuzzy warms?
I felt good because he said he had done five of them before rather than someone who was just going to slam them in without reading the directions. They even came with a photocopy of the TiVo instructions for cable installers with a two page troubleshooting guide. Yes, he did talk about marrying the cards. And yes, he knew to complete the first before moving to the second.

The problem, I think, is that the install needs to be 100% methodical. The order of events needs to be followed perfectly, with no interpretation or deviation. This is very different for them than normal installs of any other equipment: things can be done out of order, you can go back and fix things, you can be a little sloppy and the job gets done. With TiVo and CableCards, there are many mines in the minefield. Even the installer said that if he ran into any problems, he'd have to power off the TiVo, remove all the cards, have dispatch "unmarry" the cards, and basically start over completely.

Somewhere something went wrong, but I didn't follow his every button press, so I don't know. I think today he'll start from scratch.
H.I.McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote