TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #661
rlay

Return of the installer

The installer came back unexpectedly with a new Cablecard this afternoon. After sending hits to the card from dispatch, it now works as well as the other card that was previously working. Not once was he asked for the Host ID.... but he did verify the serial number of the card with dispatch.

I am still missing 4 channels, but I get most of what I was subscribed to with the execption of HDNET, HDNET-Movies, ESPN-HD, and DiscoveryHD. I do get HBO-HD and the lone Fox local station. Anyone know how to remedy this?

I can live with this for now, but still have a service request in to get it fixed. I'm holding onto the Motorola for another month.

If I add more channels, does the Card need to be reprogrammed?

Also, my online guide does not reflect the new channels that were added. How long does it take to reflect on the Tivo site?

Last edited by rlay : 10-06-2006 at 08:43 PM.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #662
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Do you know what kind of DVR the TW in your area uses and what kind of software? In my area they used SA 8300 and SARA.

Did he try to remove the second card and reinstall it like I said?
The DVR that they use here is the Motorola DCT 6412. The installer had a Scientific Atlanta Cablecard System manual with him. I still have the 6412 until the 4 missing channel issue gets resolved.

We did remove both cards and reinstalled them sequentially....although, I'm not sure how to tell whether they were activated properly. Interesting thing did happen though...the instant dispatch sent the hit out for each card I got a quick 161-4 error then the cablecard pairing screen after a few seconds. We went back to the test channels page, and in about 30 seconds all of the channels I now get are were working...still missing 4 HD channels on both cards.

Last edited by rlay : 10-07-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #663
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
The DVR that they use here is the Motorola DCT 6412. The installer had a Scientific Atlanta Cablecard System manual with him. I still have the 6412 until the 4 missing channel issue gets resolved.

We did remove both cards and reinstalled them sequentially....although, I'm not sure how to tell whether they were activated properly. Interesting thing did happen though...the instant dispatch sent the hit out for each card I got a quick 161-4 error then the cablecard pairing screen after a few seconds. We went back to the test channels page, and in about 30 seconds all of the channels I now get are were working...still missing 4 HD channels on both cards.
If they are using Motorola's shouldn't they be using Moto cards? And what the heck is he looking at a SA manual for? I mean if you want to fix a Chevy you don't use a Ford manual.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #664
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
If they are using Motorola's shouldn't they be using Moto cards? And what the heck is he looking at a SA manual for? I mean if you want to fix a Chevy you don't use a Ford manual.
The SA manual seemed to be a "system" manual. The Cablecards are Motorola.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #665
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

I Just installed two CCard here in brooklyn At ( tsings31 ) builden. well everything went ok the cards are working fine. Only issues i had was that the cards where not on TWC System so i had to wait for my dispatch to get that fix. But im afraid i will get a call back there because the customer was nah home at the time of the installation. he left two guys there who didn't know anything about tivo non how to work the tv. so I told them to let the customer know that he need to go throughout the Tivo setup again to update the Guide list. the list its only showing up to ch 99. but all channels are there. HBOHD SHOHD TNTHD etc. Also he has his tivo connected to a HDTV using the RCA Cable through the regular video output no HD output so he may experience some kind of PIC problem in term of size and quality. any way i left a little note for him to look at that and try to connect everything the right way since he has a home ent. system connected to the tv using the HD input on the TV weird the ent.. doesn't need that. Any way but the installation was smooth. I don't know why or how other systems are having so much problem with the CCard
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #666
Gene S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
Interesting thing did happen though...the instant dispatch sent the hit out for each card I got a quick 161-4 error then the cablecard pairing screen after a few seconds. We went back to the test channels page, and in about 30 seconds all of the channels I now get are were working...still missing 4 HD channels on both cards.
You can ignore the 161-4 error.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv010416.htm?
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #667
FUBAR
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne
I haven't ordered a S3 yet, but I did call TW here in Raleigh, NC. They charge 1.75 per card per month, but charge 49.99 installation per card. Anyone else here live in Raleigh get the same answer?
I'm in durham, but that's the same cost i had to pay to get CC working with my TV.

However i got the cost of the install waived after i had 8 Techs out to try to get the card working. It was the largest pain in the butt i've ever been though with TWC. I actually got about $60 off my bill that month, because of late installers, installers not showing up, ect.

p::/w..eees:par/kcosmht.pey.ztx.xyzsp:t
F.U.B.A.R.
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #668
jacksonian

TWC Greensboro charged me $22 to install both cards and they charge me $1.75 x2 per month.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #669
FUBAR
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
"If you use a S3 with a cable card you will get the digital version"

Not true with TWC Raleigh. Cablecard gets the analog version.

When I had the card in a TV, I could see that analog artifacts. Spoke with TWC and they confirmed that CC receives NTSC analog for channels under 100. Digital Simulcast is only with their STB.

Yeah, TWC in durham does the same thing.... uuuuhhhhhgggg.

p::/w..eees:par/kcosmht.pey.ztx.xyzsp:t
F.U.B.A.R.
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #670
sdawge

Angry My head hurts

After a week of dealing with the airlines I was so looking forward to TWC installing the 2 cable cards I ordered for my S3.
The cable guy showed up right on time ... he walked in .. loved my setup and put in the first card according to Tivo instructions. He then called in to get that card activated. When I asked about the second card he told me he knew nothing about it. He then drove back to his offce and came back with another card about an hour later. That card was non functional .. he tried re seating it several times but it was not showing up as a functional card. Just an error message 161-1. He then left with my old HD box and my old HD DDR.
When I went thru the setup Tivo failed at the getting info stage of setup. I tried again and everything went as expected. Then came the fun .. it goes to the Acquiring Channel Information screen .. sets there for ever and then eventually fails.
My only assumption is that the cable card hasn't been successfully activated. When I call TWC they don't have a clue what I'm talking about .. they even transferred me to the internet support group because the cable support guy didn't have a clue. The internet support person was just as clueless and said she could schedule another service call. I'm ready to scrap this unit and go to DirectTV.
sdawge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #671
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawge
After a week of dealing with the airlines I was so looking forward to TWC installing the 2 cable cards I ordered for my S3.
The cable guy showed up right on time ... he walked in .. loved my setup and put in the first card according to Tivo instructions. He then called in to get that card activated. When I asked about the second card he told me he knew nothing about it. He then drove back to his offce and came back with another card about an hour later. That card was non functional .. he tried re seating it several times but it was not showing up as a functional card. Just an error message 161-1. He then left with my old HD box and my old HD DDR.
When I went thru the setup Tivo failed at the getting info stage of setup. I tried again and everything went as expected. Then came the fun .. it goes to the Acquiring Channel Information screen .. sets there for ever and then eventually fails.
My only assumption is that the cable card hasn't been successfully activated. When I call TWC they don't have a clue what I'm talking about .. they even transferred me to the internet support group because the cable support guy didn't have a clue. The internet support person was just as clueless and said she could schedule another service call. I'm ready to scrap this unit and go to DirectTV.
You are having the same problems I had initially. Call TWC and demand that they send a level 2 tech who know something about cablecards and make sure they bring a few cablecards (4+). Make friends with that level 2 tech and get him to empathize with your situation. If it doesn't work, ask to speak with the local area director, and remind them off all the services you get from them and how easy it is to switch to another service.

I'm keeping my Motorola HD-DVR until my system is 100% functional...and I'm going to call the area director every week until it's fixed. I think I'm in the final stretch because I'm only missing 4 channels (the premium HD package).
Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #672
sdawge

forward progress

I pulled the card .. reset the system ... put the card back in ... called support (took an hour and 20 mins to get a human) .. he hit the card again .. failed .. again .. failed .. again .. success. Now I'm having trouble getting all my channels .. but I will work on that. Hopefully Monday when the next tech comes with my second card things will be resolved. I'm in Thousand Oaks, CA ... as much as I hated Adelphia .. it sure was easier to get through to support.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #673
hookbill
Feathered Member

I was an Adelphia customer before TW took over too and that's why I'm so amazed at how differently they treat us. I seemed to get the royal treatment, field supervisor, lead tech extra cable cards all brand new, all connections checked and power levels checked. It was amazing. Stayed with me until after I had checked every to make sure every channel was working. The field supervisor gives me his card and tells me call him directly if there is any problems.

In no way did I get a sense that they were reluctant to install or didn't really care. Just one of the lucky ones I guess.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #674
sdawge

:-)

The last guy I got was much better. Now I'm trying to get the channels to show .. don't have a clue how to get that happening. Starting at channel 37 I have nothing up quite a ways. Not getting all my HD either.

How long did it take you to get a human when you called support? Thats the frustrating part ... I was waiting for 48 mins and my phone died ... had to start all over again.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #675
rlay

Quote:
How long did it take you to get a human when you called support? Thats the frustrating part ... I was waiting for 48 mins and my phone died ... had to start all over again.
It's taken anywhere from a couple of minutes to 20 minutes...as well as "all lines are busy, please try again later." If you call at non-peak times (evenings & weekend), I tend to get a human faster... but they generally end up scheduling a tech to come out....usually a week later.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #676
sdawge

As long as I can get all my channels and the second card going I'm good. I won't have to deal with TW. My S3 is set up for 93hrs HD and I would hate to give it up.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #677
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
TWC Greensboro charged me $22 to install both cards and they charge me $1.75 x2 per month.
I'm in Greensboro, how did the install go?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #678
rlay

Quote:
As long as I can get all my channels and the second card going I'm good. I won't have to deal with TW. My S3 is set up for 93hrs HD and I would hate to give it up.
Whilst I waited for my cablecards to get setup, I just used the TIVO with analog cable (sans cablecard) and it worked great for channels below 99. This allowed 2 tuner recording and the picture quality looked better than the Motorola. I ended up having dozens of shows in my suggestions list and lots of stuff recorded from the networks.

If you live in a major metro, you can probably get a few HD free-to-air with a pair of rabbit ears (or better yet a HD antenna) hooked up to the antenna jack.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #679
bluetex
Wha?

TWC-Houston

I went in, took the HD Cable Box. I handed over the old box and told the person behind the counter that I'd like 2 cable cards. She disappeared for a minute or two. When she came back she scanned in the old box, scanned out the two cards and asked, "what else?"

I told her I'd like to add the HD-Net package. *type type type*

Ok... what else?

I said, "that's it".

I scurried home and installed the cards by the TiVo Installer's guide. No biggie. Called in the cards to the "activation" number. They answered on the first ring -- I was SHOCKED!

I read off the 4 strings of numbers to the guy on the phone. We don't see any channels after about 10 minutes, so I let him go and went on to a chore at home (by my insistance not his). ** the 2-yr-old was hungry** (that still trumps TiVo)

I was feeding the kid and blamo, the tuners came on with channels. I ran the setup to finish the channel associations -- no biggie.

I noticed about 2 hours later (after playing a little) that the second cable card was not getting my HBO & HD-Net packages -- though it was getting Encore. Encore is unencrypted, I'm sure.

So I called. Told them that -- they said -- OK we'll activate these overnight so call us tomorrow if it still doesn't work. Next day still no premiums on card 2. So I swapped card slots to see if it would follow. It did.

I called them on day 2 told them what was up (they answered on the first ring again). They said Ok.. we'll resubmit the activation -- call tomorrow if it's still broken. Next day, still no premiums.

So I called them on day 3, told this one that I'd called on day 1&2 with no success. He said, "hmm.. ok." We read off the numbers again. He said, "looks right. Let me try something."

30 seconds pass, and he said try again.

I flipped to test channels on tuner 1 -- good
I fiipped to test channels on tuner 2 -- GOOD

All in all, I think they did a great job -- even though I had the one wrinkle. TWC Houston has their CC stuff together. Everyone knows what they're talking about and they've proved that you can train a few people very well and not roll trucks and provide a very solid technical base.

I've read all the horror stories of the other TWC sites, and they're just terrible. You'd think they'd learn. Rolling trucks is expensive and wasteful. No waiting from 8-12, no strangers in my house, no needless charges or techs telling me they know better. I'm happy.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #680
andyf

TW Houston is EXCELLENT. They have a special number to call for cablecards. There's no menu to go through, you get to a person right away and that person is extremely knowledable. I 2nd what Jeff said.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #681
minckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetex
TWC-Houston . . . I've read all the horror stories of the other TWC sites, and they're just terrible. You'd think they'd learn. Rolling trucks is expensive and wasteful. No waiting from 8-12, no strangers in my house, no needless charges or techs telling me they know better. I'm happy.

Jeff
Another benefit: less risk of losing customers. I used an antenna while waiting over two weeks for my cableCARDS and during that time decided that the antenna alone is fine for me.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #682
sdawge

I wish I could get an over the air signal ... unfortunately its a little tough in my area. I still have to get the service squared away. When the cable cards went in they must have been set up for a basic service when it should be everything they offer so I am missing tons of channels. And .. as has been the case everytime .. I am waiting for someone to answer. So far it has been 23 mins.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #683
sdawge

Ahhhhh ... finally got an answer. They don't have a clue as to whats going on .. so now they will send someone tomorrow. I should try to calculate how much my time costs, taking off work and waiting .. as well as my wife when she has to wait for them. She wont even consider it anymore. The last time the guy was so rude she called me and had me talk to him. It sure does get frustrating.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #684
rhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Rooting for you rhanson!
Everything is now working.

TWC insisted on sendinga tech out again on Weds 10/4 because of the 'Waiting for CP AUTH message on my second card. Tech replaced the card, same thing. The tech checked the whole cable run even though I told him that wasn't the problem. Did get a beter splitter out of it.

Finally the tech called back and insisted everything was fine and the guy on the other end went away for about 5 minutes When he finally came back the card finally said 'CP Auth Received'. Great. Tech said that it would take some time to get all the channels.

Got home that night, CP Auth was still good but was not receiving premium channels and the ECM received count for that card was 0. Didn't have time or the patience to call TWC until yesterday.

Called in, talked to CSR who had to check after I explained what the problem was came back and said they were too backlogged for her to send the required info to the card and could I call back later. Very strange response.

Then this morning called again, explained the problem and the CSR started say he couldn't do anything and they'd have to send a tech!!! I cut him off before he finished the sentence and told him I didn't need truck roll and that this was no different then if I was calling about a message a STB about needing to call the office to receive the premiums channels. Insisted he send the signals or let me talk to a supervisor.

He then said he had just sent the signal to both cards. I said thank you and thought I'd probably have to call back. I quickly checked the status an lo and behold the second card had received ECMs and I now had my premium channels on both cards.

So now everything is working, finally.

TWC needs to train their CSRs and Techs better on this technology. It would save them money and make for happier customers.

Rich
Brooklyn
rhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #685
spsmyk

Ok, after my issue of going to the store after two calls to confirm I could pick up --- the tech came over Friday afternoon.

Walked in said "I did one of these a week and a half ago, piece of cake"...well, an hour later he left and I was only getting 2-99 on each cable card. Three times through guided setup and a call to TWC tech support (they activate your devices automatically while you are waiting on hold and before I talked to a rep - presto!) and I am now up and running!!!

All is well here now ::knock on wood:: --- love watching HD on the unit!!!
spsmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #686
sdawge

Its nice to hear that some of you are having some success. I have a tech coming over tomorrow .. cant wait to see what happens.
I calleld today and was told they couldn't activate my other channels because they were already activated. I need to start a business. One where there is no accountability. Must be nice :-)
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #687
pac1999

I have had a few issues with Time Warner San Diego. When the installer first left one of my cable cards was stuck in a firmware update cycle that prevented me from using live TV on the Tivo at all until two days later when I removed the one card while on the phone with the cable company. The second card received most channels but several of the HD channels were grey. Time Warner said that the firmware issue was with the cable card manufacturer and they refused to replace the card. They said that they had a trouble call in to scientific Atlanta and they would let me know when they got a response. They would not come out until two weeks later when I asked to move the cable card from one series 3 to another at which point they said they had to send a tech for that and he showed up with another working card.

After installing the cards in the second Tivo they seemed to work fine for two days. Then one card lost the authorization for all premium channels. I was able to figure out which card was screwing up by going to test channels in the cable card menu. I called the cable company and reported the problem they attempted to re authorize the card and it had no effect. Within thirty minutes of that call both cable cards would not receive any premium channels. They would start to tune them, the picture would show up then a gray screen showed up saying that the channel was not authorized and to call the cable company.

The tech that showed up two days later was completely useless and said his supervisor would call back the next day. The supervisor who called the next day was able to get both cards working again. Four days later and two of my premium HD channels have become gray again. The Tivo says searching for signal when tuned to those channels. I am afraid to screw with it since all the other channels are still working on both cards. The east coast feeds of all the premium channels that I can get with my cablebox also do not work but I am fine with that if I can get all my west coast feeds to work.

Of the three techs that have been out to my house in the last month only the second seemed to have ever installed a cable card before. My series 3 was a first for him but at least he was familiar with the cable card.

I love my series 3 but this cable card thing is turning out to be much more work than I anticipated. I had a cable card in my TV from Comcast when I lived in Connecticut last year and never and an issue with the card. I agree that this might be a Time Warner issue.
pac1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #688
l_emmerdeur

TWCNYC sent a tech on Saturday to install the cards. He had 5 with him (all with 2006 dates on them), so I assume they've learned enough to know to send extras. This was his first-ever Cablecard installation, so you know how this story ends...

We installed the first two cards, and they went in just fine, no error messages from the Tivo. He informed me the guy on the other end of the phone authorizing the cards was their best tech. However, when the guy was reading the HostIDs to him, it seemed like he was somehow dyslexic - I mean literally, I'm not using the term as a slur or an insult. Every 3-digit portion of the HostID came out of his mouth wrong, and I had to correct him every time, sometimes twice.

The first 3 digits were (let's say) 160.

He would read "One-one-six."

"No, one-six-zero."

"Oh, sorry, yeah, one-six-one."

"No, one-six-zero."

"I mean, one-six-zero."

After many painful minutes of this, I'm sure the HostIDs were mangled. After rebooting the Tivo and going through Guided Setup again, I could see TBS, all the networks and all the HD networks, as well as NY1. Nothing else.

He tells me it could take up to 10 hours to get all the channels, so I take his word and sign off on the install.

Mistake. I've yet to see another channel come through (and I see them all on my SA 3250HD).

So I call TWC and they zap my cable box, even though I don't have a cable box. Then the lady tells me to unplug the cable box, and I tell her I don't have a bloody cable box. I ask her if she's dealt with Cablecards before, and she states she hasn't, which of course didn't stop her from wasting 20 minutes of my time. I set up another tech visit for next Friday.

One interesting side note: they could not refund the fee for the truck roll because they do not charge anything for Cablecard installations. If anybody tells you otherwise, hang up the phone, call again and make arrangements with another rep.

I was very angry on Saturday, not because they couldn't get it to work (I figured there was a good chance that this would happen), but because they sent a third-party tech who not only had zero experience with Cablecards, but couldn't even read three consecutive numbers correctly - not once, but every single set of numbers. This was topped off with a phone rep who wasted my time instead of passing me to someone who knew something about Cablecards. I know these people usually are trying to be helpful, but when you know nothing about the issue at hand, don't waste my time. It's rude. Be helpful: pass me along to someone who can help.

On my next tech visit, I'm reading the HostIDs.
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #689
Diacritical

TimeWarner just showed up -- the tech did not know anything about CableCards and did not have any with him... but he did know the supervisor j2chulo mentioned earlier (and he knew about my scotch and what to look for). The non-working card is dated 4/13/2006 -- about 2 months prior to the working card. He's sending over another tech within a few hours (probably j2chulo) with a replacement.

Update:
j2chulo showed up -- replaced the non-functional card, sent three hits, and it's up. The new card got auth right away, but did take a while to get the programming online. I now have two working cable cards.

Last edited by Diacritical : 10-09-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Update
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #690
jeffrypennock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers220
just got a s3 and am having the same tiling issues that you have/had. Did you ever resolve it? Your thread ended without a resolution posted.

thanks.
I THINK it's resolved. I've come to the problem that I had multiple problems that required a new S3 and more CC's to fix. I had to do an exchange on my S3 box for two reasons:
1) TiVo was wondering/concerned that the cable turners in my device were slightly defective in a way that made them excessively sensitive to variations in cable signal strength
2) I did it to prove to TWC that the problem wasn't with the TiVo equipment which was one of the cop-outs they'd always give me. "How do we know the problem isn't with your hardware rather than our signal?"

I did the exchange and it did improve but not entirely fix my situation. Once I did the box swap, I was then able to isolate the tiling to only one of the cable cards (by using the "Test Channels" function in the S3's CableCARD settings menu). Once I got the new box, this was the first time I was able to isolate my signal problems to just one of the CableCARDS, so I think there may have been something wrong with my first S3 that made it excessively sensitive to CC/signal issues. I swapped out the CC that was still giving me tiling/audio issues and the new card that I got hasn't given me any troubles thus far.

Two general observations:
-I'm not 100% that I've FIXED anything. This problem would come and go with the first S3 and CC's. So it's hard to know if any of the changes that I made explain why I've not seen any problems in >1 week or if I've just had a lucky week. The thing that makes me suspect that I had compounding problems and that I maybe-just-maybe resolved them is that I was able to isolate the problem to one CC; previously, everything was happening on both CCs and both tuners, which is why I was convinced it was a problem with signal coming in.
-I've come to the conclusion that with CC's and CC equipment, none of it is perfect and most of it isn't junk either. I think the trick is cycling through and assembling components (S3, CC's, cable signal) that each work well-enough such that when put together, everything functions correctly with eachother. So you may have to go through S3 boxes and CC's that work well-enough in your setting (which may or may not have worked well-enough in another setting) to get you good results. A hassle? DEFINITELY. But the silver lining is that the situation isn't hopeless.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote