TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #631
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Oh make sure the cards are un-paired before you initially insert them (they should be, but just ask them to make sure)
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #632
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
Oh make sure the cards are un-paired before you initially insert them (they should be, but just ask them to make sure)
I wish I knew that before I tried another worthless call to TWA this morning. They sent out another hit to the card and said to wait 2 hours. Now I have a supervisor that's supposed to come out this afternoon. He'll probably just randomly swap cards until it breaks something.
I'm stuck with "Decryption status: OK" and "PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs"
ECM and EMM counts both 0.

I get local HD but no digital channels and no TNT or Discovery HD

Maybe I'll plug in the second card again just for the hell of it while I wait...
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #633
jacksonian

Something's not right. I just had my install this am, and the first card we put in was still paired to a Sony TV. But once the rep on the phone got everything linked to my account, it worked perfectly. Somebody's not doing something right on the other end, because mine was still paired to another customer's TV and we got it to work right away.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #634
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I wish I knew that before I tried another worthless call to TWA this morning. They sent out another hit to the card and said to wait 2 hours. Now I have a supervisor that's supposed to come out this afternoon. He'll probably just randomly swap cards until it breaks something.
I'm stuck with "Decryption status: OK" and "PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs"
ECM and EMM counts both 0.

I get local HD but no digital channels and no TNT or Discovery HD

Maybe I'll plug in the second card again just for the hell of it while I wait...
On the card with Not Ready status.... is it in CP AUTH RECEIVED or WAITING for CP AUTH?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #635
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
Something's not right. I just had my install this am, and the first card we put in was still paired to a Sony TV. But once the rep on the phone got everything linked to my account, it worked perfectly. Somebody's not doing something right on the other end, because mine was still paired to another customer's TV and we got it to work right away.
Nothings wrong... The rep updated the pairing and sent a 'hit' to the card. Thats the way its supposed to work. My first card was already paired to my TV and 'provisioned' properly. That card was a piece of cake to move and get working in the S3. The other card... the new one... was the pain.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #636
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
On the card with Not Ready status.... is it in CP AUTH RECEIVED or WAITING for CP AUTH?
CP AUTH RECEIVED.

I just tried getting someone from the online chat support to re-pair the cards but all he'd do is schedule a tech for tomorrow morning. Maybe if I'm really lucky there actually is something wrong with these particular cards but I suspect they have something screwed up on my account back at the office. About twice a year my cable modem stops working because they screw up the account.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #637
SCSIRAID

Quote:
CP AUTH RECEIVED.

I just tried getting someone from the online chat support to re-pair the cards but all he'd do is schedule a tech for tomorrow morning. Maybe if I'm really lucky there actually is something wrong with these particular cards but I suspect they have something screwed up on my account back at the office. About twice a year my cable modem stops working because they screw up the account.
Pairing isnt the problem.... CP AUTH RECEIVED means they are already paired. You need provisioning.... The card is waiting to be told what the card is allowed to decode and then 'HIT' with that information.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #638
hiro
Unix Geek.

Quote:
CP AUTH RECEIVED.

Your card has been setup in the Time Warner system, it just needs to be given the provisioning information. You need to have Time Warner send a "Hit" to the card and I found out during my 5 technician visits and countless chats that CSRs might not be able to do it right. You can check to see if the card is getting Hit by watching the EMM count. It should start happening soon after they send the Hit (note: the screen doesn't automatically refresh, you have to exit and re-enter the SA CP screen to refresh the information) and around EMM count #50, the channels will start coming in.

For me, the technicians finally had to call the DNCS group and have them Hit the cards before they started receiving any digital or premium channels. Calls to the regular CSR agents accomlished nothing as I wasn't even seeing the EMM counts increase. If they say it should take effect in an hour or two and you don't see any EMM counts, I'd call BS and try to escalate it. They do not need to send a tech out but it might be best to have them come out anyway so that you can get them to properly Hit the card.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #639
rrman

Time Warner tech (Ithaca, NY in Tompkins County) came to install my CableCard this morning. Things went smoothly, relative to other folks' experience. Contrary to TiVo's instructions, the tech installed both cards at the same time, since he said he will only be placing one call back to headquarters. Fortunately, things worked. I got my regular channels, including HBO HD and Showtime HD. However, I wasn't getting the premium HD channels (HDNET, ESPNHD, inHD, inHD2, HDNET Movies, etc.). The tech suggested that I call the TW office myself, but I asked to resolve the problem now, since the issue may be related to the CableCards (since I was already getting these premium HD channels on my cable boxes). So, he called the TW office, and they activated my premium HD channels, and they now work properly (and I verified that they work for both cable cards). I went through guided setup again (which, BTW, takes more than half an hour if you don't know all the channels off the top of your head). Now, things work great! I get all the channels that I should (well, I didn't check ALL the channels, but those that I cared most about, especially the HD channels).

The only odd behavior I get is when I first tune in to some channels, I get a message at the bottom of the screen saying that the TiVo is not authorized for the channel. This message shows up for about a second, and then the message disappears and the channel tunes in correctly.

Nevertheless, after reading all the posts in this thread, I've got to say that my installation went quite smoothly!
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #640
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro
For me, the technicians finally had to call the DNCS group and have them Hit the cards before they started receiving any digital or premium channels. Calls to the regular CSR agents accomlished nothing as I wasn't even seeing the EMM counts increase. If they say it should take effect in an hour or two and you don't see any EMM counts, I'd call BS and try to escalate it. They do not need to send a tech out but it might be best to have them come out anyway so that you can get them to properly Hit the card.
That seems to be the issue. What's the DNCS group? Every time I do a chat it gets "escalated" but the 2 times they've agreed to hit the cards again I still don't see any EMMs. The counts have always been 0. Is it possible for this to be a signal strength issue given that the channels I tune (and even the ones it won't show!) read >90 signal strength?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #641
hiro
Unix Geek.

Quote:
That seems to be the issue. What's the DNCS group? Every time I do a chat it gets "escalated" but the 2 times they've agreed to hit the cards again I still don't see any EMMs. The counts have always been 0. Is it possible for this to be a signal strength issue given that the channels I tune (and even the ones it won't show!) read >90 signal strength?
First off, I don't think it has anything to do with signal strength. TW may try to pawn if off on signal/cabling, but if your TW 8300HD worked, then the signal and cabling are fine.

I believe that the DNCS group is the technical group that supports the backend digital services (DNCS = digital network control system). I would suggest calling technical support (don't know if they are available in the on-line chat) and trying to get them to hit it or have DNCS do it. Like I said, the CSR agents did not appear to be able correctly hit the box. Whether it be a CSR tool issue or a lack of knowledge issue, the CSRs were no help.

Note: un-pairing/pairing is not the same as hitting the cards. The CSR agents seemed to be able to pair the cards but sending a hit never seemed to work with them (they may have thought a hit & a pairing where the same thing).

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #642
rodalpho

Just had my install completed flawlessly by time warner manhattan. The tech had never even heard of the series3, but he agreed to do the cards in sequence and everything went great. The only fine point was that after first inserting each cablecard we needed to wait ~15 minutes for the firmware to upgrade with very little feedback. Once the firmware upgrade finished, the guy called in my host ids, the dispatcher tagged the card, and I was watching HBOHD <5 minutes later. No sweat.

It took them two frickin weeks to schedule the appointment, but in the end I'm very happy.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #643
HJR

Time Warner install aborted due to dual cable setup.

TW was out to install 2 cable cards today, the tech said my area formally Comcast has an A - B cable setup and that the Tivo S3 will not work until TW finishes converting all the A B to a single cable system. Could be as long as 6 months. I do not believe there is a good solution to this. Any others experience this and any workarounds?
HJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #644
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJR
TW was out to install 2 cable cards today, the tech said my area formally Comcast has an A - B cable setup and that the Tivo S3 will not work until TW finishes converting all the A B to a single cable system.
I'd think you could get all the A or all the B channels.

If the Antenna input on TiVo could be configured to tune cable channels instead of OTA you would at least be able to get the analog channels on the other cable, but this would require a fundamental software (and possibly hardware) change to TiVo.

[A side note: I now have a tech scheduled to come out tomorrow morning... hopefully being a "tech" instead of an "installer" he can convince somebody at the office to do the right thing.]
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #645
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
Hey j2chulo, just giving you a big thumbs up for joining us on this forum. You're helping a lot of people understand CableCARDs much better! You're doing a great service to both TiVo and TWCNYC!
Thanks. alway happy to hear hear good thing about my job. lol but yeah its good to contribute with what ever i can to help other.
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #646
apsarkis

TWC - Hudson Valley (NY) success

I got my S3 CC install done on Tues AM, and even though I was told I was the first for their office, things went really well. I started by trying to pick up the CC's last Fri, but was told I couldn't do a self-install. Ordered the CC's, initially told they might be able to do the install on Sat, but it turned out they had none available, so they got some brand new SA CCs on Mon and came to install last Tues AM.

The tech was concerned about the signal level, so he replaced the feed from the pole on the street to my house, replaced all my splitters and put new connectors on all my inside cables. He improved the signal level from about -10db up to -5db, which he said was still a little low, but close enough. Definitely got my $30.30 worth.

After spending all that time re-cabling, it still took a while to get the first CC activated, mostly with him on the phone explaining what to do to the CSR. Second CC went considerably faster. Got all my "local" - NYC (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, CW, PBS), basic (Disc, UHD, SNY, TNT) and premium (HBO, SHO) HD channels working great!
apsarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #647
iDriveX
TiVo/Mac Guru

I HATE Adelphia / TWC with a passion

Writing in from Agoura Hills, CA (near Los Angeles on the 101 Corridor):

So I talked to TWC and told them that it was going into a TiVo and to bring as many CableCARDs as they could. They gave me a 3-5 PM window. So I sat there and waited. The tech finally showed up around 6:15 and made a bunch of sorry excuses about being late. This was, of course, his first Series3 Install.

So I told him that I would read the directions and install the card and I just needed him to do his thing.

So I installed the first card into the bottom slot, got all the information and he called it in. I clicked on "Test Channels" and I got the spinny ying-yang for like 5 minutes and I was like "wanna call em back and figure out what's going on?" So he did and they were like "Sorry, these CableCARDs were configured for use in a Cable Modem not for cable telelvision"

So they got on the phone with some high level engineer who supposedly switched them to be used in the TiVo, so I put it back in the TiVo again while the tech flirted with Maribel the girl on the other end of his walkie talkie. The info came up and she had Maribel "hit the card again". Then she called back and said she "pinged it" and again, I went to test channels and the spiny ying-yang stayed on for like 5 minutes until we finally declared it dead.

So they took their CableCARDs and I set an appointment for Saturday from 8-12 .... Hey TW I thought you only did two hour windows....Not on Saturdays...You either get AM or PM. I told the tech to bring more than 2 CableCARDs, he said he wasn't allowed to, something about being tied to a work order number. So I said whatever, and then he said "Ya know, TWC has a brand new DVR that isn't $800 and will work much easier than this...." I thanked him and told him to make sure he brings some working CableCARDs on Saturday.

I swear to God, never in the history of man, has one industry come together so well to screw the average consumer over and over and over and due to a lack of alternatives, (Sat TV is just as bad), the consumer has been forced to take it over and over and over, or face becoming one of those people that says ..."No I don't watch TV".
TiVo Wireless G Adapter
AirPort Express Network
iDriveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:12 AM   #648
jfh3

When he comes back, see where you can get one of those cable modems that take CableCARDs ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #649
iDriveX
TiVo/Mac Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
When he comes back, see where you can get one of those cable modems that take CableCARDs ...
Seriously ;-)

I think the card was classified as a Cable Modem or something in their work order and they couldn't do the activation or something. I hate TWC.
TiVo Wireless G Adapter
AirPort Express Network
iDriveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #650
rasandefur

TWC - Raleigh. Halfway there.

MY TWC - Raleigh saga continues.

Rashaad was able to get the first card working, but still no luck with the 2nd card. Unfortunately, the tech only brought one extra card with him, even though I've begged them before every visit to bring several. They keep saying, "We only had one at the warehouse", which is pretty fishy. Am I the ONLY customer that needs a cable card in the Raleigh-Durham area?

It seems to me that it must have to do with the card, because we did everything exactly the same as on the last two visits, but for some reason, the one new card worked whereas the others would not. So confounding!

I'm up to my 5th visit now, and I almost don't want to schedule it because I need a break from the stress. I think I've lost 10 pounds this week.

Rashaad was very professional and worked diligently to resolve the issue. He even got on the phone with Tivo, who is now working with him to try to figure out what the problem is. He's supposed to call me back when he gets more info from Tivo. Tivo acknowledged that there may be a glitch on their behalf with installation of the 2nd card (yikes!).

It's clear that things are not as simple as we all think they should be. There's no doubt we've got some smart people who are still struggling with the cable card configuration issue.
rasandefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #651
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasandefur
MY TWC - Raleigh saga continues.

Rashaad was able to get the first card working, but still no luck with the 2nd card. Unfortunately, the tech only brought one extra card with him, even though I've begged them before every visit to bring several. They keep saying, "We only had one at the warehouse", which is pretty fishy. Am I the ONLY customer that needs a cable card in the Raleigh-Durham area?

It seems to me that it must have to do with the card, because we did everything exactly the same as on the last two visits, but for some reason, the one new card worked whereas the others would not. So confounding!

I'm up to my 5th visit now, and I almost don't want to schedule it because I need a break from the stress. I think I've lost 10 pounds this week.

Rashaad was very professional and worked diligently to resolve the issue. He even got on the phone with Tivo, who is now working with him to try to figure out what the problem is. He's supposed to call me back when he gets more info from Tivo. Tivo acknowledged that there may be a glitch on their behalf with installation of the 2nd card (yikes!).

It's clear that things are not as simple as we all think they should be. There's no doubt we've got some smart people who are still struggling with the cable card configuration issue.
When installing the second card are you waiting a bit before going to the card configuration screen? We discovered during my installation that waiting a few minutest before going to the configuration screen was necessary. I don't know why but that worked. We had all new cards and by the third card we decided to try just waiting a bit. It may not be a problem with the card. I would suggest 5 minutes wait period. Mine worked in 3 minutes.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #652
pmiranda

Yep, even a working card takes several minutes to start up. On TW-Austin, the sequence goes:
Auth Status:Waiting for CP Auth
Auth Status:CP Auth Received
PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for Time
PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for EUT
PowerKey status:Ready
MKS Period switches from 60 seconds to 100 seconds
Test Channels shows "No Channels Available" for a couple minutes
Prog Number switches from 0 to 10 then Test Channels works

Your cable system may vary, and prog number changes depending on which channel you're tuning so that might be a coincidence. And of course, I'm still not getting EMMs or ECM's so I'm not getting digital channels or upper HD channels. 1-1/2 hours into my 4-hour window waiting for a tech to come out...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #653
rlay

Call from TWC before appointment

I just received a call from TWC (former Adelphia, Imperial Valley, CA) a few hours before the appointment to tell me that they do not have any "HD" cable cards available. This is after a botched install 2 weeks ago where one card gave me a 161-1 error and the other doesn't receive any of the HD Package channels (although it works with HBO-HD). I taken the day off work to deal with this.

At this point the TIVO works with analog cable really well, although channels like MTV2 (99) keep appearing and disappearing. I hate the fact that I can't use 1 CableCard and Analog cable at the same time. This would probably keep me from returning the TIVO for the time being.

Is there really a difference between HD Cablecards and standard ones?

The installer is still coming to see if he can fix anything, but if he can't I am seriously considering returning the TIVO....and perhaps even switching to DirecTV. This is ridiculous and frustrating.
rlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #654
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
I just received a call from TWC (former Adelphia, Imperial Valley, CA) a few hours before the appointment to tell me that they do not have any "HD" cable cards available. This is after a botched install 2 weeks ago where one card gave me a 161-1 error and the other doesn't receive any of the HD Package channels (although it works with HBO-HD). I taken the day off work to deal with this.

At this point the TIVO works with analog cable really well, although channels like MTV2 (99) keep appearing and disappearing. I hate the fact that I can't use 1 CableCard and Analog cable at the same time. This would probably keep me from returning the TIVO for the time being.

The installer is still coming to see if he can fix anything, but if he can't I am seriously considering returning the TIVO....and perhaps even switching to DirecTV. This is ridiculous and frustrating.
There is only one kind of cablecard.... today.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #655
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:

Does your cable card screen show both cards active? If only one card is active (card 1) then I highly suggest you pull out card 2 (with tech there on phone to head end) and put it back in. Wait 5 minutes before going to the configuration screen. Then go to the card screen. If it confirms it there let tech get his info and make sure he has head end marry the cards together.

If Card 1 isn't showing activation, then unfortunately you may have to pull plug and start over. And no, there is no difference in cards as previously mentioned.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #656
rlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Does your cable card screen show both cards active? If only one card is active (card 1) then I highly suggest you pull out card 2 (with tech there on phone to head end) and put it back in. Wait 5 minutes before going to the configuration screen. Then go to the card screen. If it confirms it there let tech get his info and make sure he has head end marry the cards together.

If Card 1 isn't showing activation, then unfortunately you may have to pull plug and start over. And no, there is no difference in cards as previously mentioned.
Thanks Bill, we'll try that when he gets back. One card is active.

The installer left with the bad card more than an hour ago and has not returned. He did have a manual with him on CableCard installations. He said he was going to come back with another card to replace the one with the 161-1 message. We did a restart of the system and they retransmissed...again they did not use the Host ID. I'm in the same state as before (HBO & locals in HD but no HD Package; ESPN-HD, HDNET, etc). The guy at the call center said it might take up to a few hours for the channels to appear (although the other channels appear to be up).

Fingers crossed.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #657
rlay

The installer just left. They had no Cablecards in the local warehouse and will have to order new ones.

So, I'm stuck at this point with no second cablecard and one that doesn't work completely.

The installer left a message for the Area Director and gave me the director's business & cell phone numbers. If he doesn't call by Monday, I'll start calling him. I've asked the installer to see if they can expidite the shipment and prioritize this. It's been over a month since I placed this order, and no one knows what they are doing (on the phone or in person).

I can't believe that they can't call someone who has got this working for any of the other Time Warner offices around the country. If this isn't fixed soon, everyone is losing out. I'll be cancelling my cable & broadband, returning the TIVO, and switching to AT&T and/or DirecTV.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #658
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
The installer just left. They had no Cablecards in the local warehouse and will have to order new ones.

So, I'm stuck at this point with no second cablecard and one that doesn't work completely.

The installer left a message for the Area Director and gave me the director's business & cell phone numbers. If he doesn't call by Monday, I'll start calling him. I've asked the installer to see if they can expidite the shipment and prioritize this. It's been over a month since I placed this order, and no one knows what they are doing (on the phone or in person).

I can't believe that they can't call someone who has got this working for any of the other Time Warner offices around the country. If this isn't fixed soon, everyone is losing out. I'll be cancelling my cable & broadband, returning the TIVO, and switching to AT&T and/or DirecTV.
Do you know what kind of DVR the TW in your area uses and what kind of software? In my area they used SA 8300 and SARA.

Did he try to remove the second card and reinstall it like I said?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #659
lgfausak

Smile cablecards in coppell work

just thought i'd post my experience in coppell, tx.
ordered 2 cable cards on sunday.
installation between 11-2 on tuesday.
installer showed up at 3:30, left at 4, said the
cable card would take up to an hour to work.
never started working, called, had to make another appointment, 8-11 on
wednesday. no show. called back. new appointment at 2pm, no show.
called back, etc, etc..2 guys show up at 3:40pm and spend about 15 minutes,
get the cable cards working and leave.
12 phone calls, 2 missed appointments, late for 2 appointments,
12 emails...and poof, it works.
it could be easier! but it's worth the pain.
lgfausak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #660
pmiranda

Woohoo! Super-Tech (who shall remain nameless so that he doesn't get stuck on cablecard installs all weekend) just left me with both cards working and getting all channels. After wasting a couple hours trying to get dispatch to send hits he heard over the radio that the system that sends the card hits had been broken the whole time. Once the system was back up he grabbed two brand new cards and went through the proper procedure:

(Some details specific to Austin)
Call Dispatch/Accounts to make sure the services on the cablecards are "balanced" with those on your regular boxes. (ie, Digital, Premiums, etc.)
Restart TiVo
Unplug for a minute after it shuts down
Remove any existing CableCARDs
Plug back in
Wait for TiVo to finish booting
Write down Card Number and MAC address then Insert Card1
Call in CardID and HostID displayed by TiVo to the regular dispatch folks
Pop in and out of the CP Status page (it doesn't refresh itself) watching for the card to go through this sequence:

Auth Status:Waiting for CP Auth
Auth Status:CP Auth Received
PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for Time
PowerKey status:Not Ready - Waiting for EUT
PowerKey status:Ready
MKS Period switches from 60 seconds to 100 seconds
Test Channels shows "No Channels Available" for another minute or two
Test Channels should start displaying the analog and local HD channels

Call DNCS to get them to send hits (I'd think anyone could do this but they seem to be the Jedi of the bunch)
EMM Count increments to 39 or more
ECM Count increments to 4 or more
Test Channels should now show everything you're subscribed to

When you return to live TV through the normal interface, you may get a blank screen but it should fix itself as soon as you change channels.

If I figure out where to send it to, I'll be writing a letter to TW-Austin to give proper kudus to "Super-Tech"... he hadn't done a CableCARD install before but had the persistence to keep working despite problems with phones, radios, and surly backline support folks.

Now busy copying several dozen season passes and wishlists by hand from the old TiVo and the 8300 DVR...