Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #601
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille
I had this *exact* same issue with Time Warner New York (but I'm in Brooklyn). The techs tried three different cable cards, and all exhibited the same problem.

FINALLY, a supervisor came out yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what he did, and when he left it still didn't seem to have worked. Within an hour, though, the second card was working perfectly. The CP screen for each card shows that "Auth Status" is "CP Auth Received".

One thing I didn't understand till recently is that the "Decryption Status" displayed on the card's CP screen will vary based on what channel the card is currently tuned to - if it's a premium channel, it reads "OK", whereas for a non-premium channel it reads "No ECMs Detected" (when it wasn't working, "Decryption Status" for premium channels was something like "Waiting for ECMs"). So when I thought this value was fluctuating from minute to minute, it actually wasn't.

For any other TW customers in Brooklyn having CableCard problems, I recommend that you try to get this supervisor involved. His name is Vincent, and he's terrific.

For the record, I don't attribute any of my problems to any malicious doings at Time Warner - I think that, barring a few isolated incidents, they recognize that this is something they need to support, and are being cooperative. All of the techs have told me that it's a new technology for them, and it's one TW clearly doesn't understand fully. But all three of the techs I dealt with have worked hard to get my cards working, and have been a pleasure to deal with.

Still working after 24 hours - I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Where was that at? what part of brooklyn? because we don't have any supervisor by that Name. Unless you are talking about Victor. do you Live on Henry St. because he was telling me about a job he did down there yesterday and he said after he left it wasn't working yet but he though it was because the dispatch that put the card in didn't activate it the right way. im glad its working good now. but Yeah about Vincent Unless he was a contractor supervisor i dont' think its a BK TWC supervisor
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #602
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsings31
I had my cards installed today by our very own, j2chulo. I was so happy when I found out that it was him. He really knows his stuff!!

The installation could not have gone smoother. The worse part was waiting for more than half an hour before dispatch answered and j2 was able to give the cablecard info. TWC needs to improve on that.

All I can say is, "Thank you" to j2 for a job well done. So far, everything is working well.
Im glad i got your tivo working with the first two card i try it. LOL lot of time i have to used and extra card because one its bad. but Yeah the waiting time was the only issue we had there.
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #603
alee

Hey j2chulo, just giving you a big thumbs up for joining us on this forum. You're helping a lot of people understand CableCARDs much better! You're doing a great service to both TiVo and TWCNYC!
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #604
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

I take personal credit for j2chulo (and supertek, aka victor) - I broke them (or was is broke them down?)in for the rest of you!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #605
ScratchFury

Anyone have the "Speed of Light" (Digital Cable & Road Runner) package and have any problems with getting the CableCARDs as far as paying much more?
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #606
angel35

Do you have to give up the cable box when you get cable cards??. Can you keep it if you want too??.

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #607
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
Do you have to give up the cable box when you get cable cards??. Can you keep it if you want too??.
Of course you can keep it, they'll just charge you more. You'll need to be sure you have enough signal strength to drive whatever splitters it takes to feed all your devices. My house has a weak signal from the headend so I already have a 15dB amp in the attic to drive a 4-way splitter up there and another 3-way splitter in my entertainment center.

I actually will be keeping my cableco DVR and the cableco set-top that supplies my old TiVo at least until we get through our backlog of recorded shows and make sure the S3 is working correctly.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #608
angel35

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Of course you can keep it, they'll just charge you more. You'll need to be sure you have enough signal strength to drive whatever splitters it takes to feed all your devices. My house has a weak signal from the headend so I already have a 15dB amp in the attic to drive a 4-way splitter up there and another 3-way splitter in my entertainment center.

I actually will be keeping my cableco DVR and the cableco set-top that supplies my old TiVo at least until we get through our backlog of recorded shows and make sure the S3 is working correctly.
I also need my 8300HD box to drive my two old tivos.If it costs more so be it. I have TWC in new york city IM waiting for cable cards to be installed next week.I hope every thing gos well.

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #609
pmiranda

How are you using an 8300HD to drive your old TiVos? Mine automatically shuts off the video output after a period of inactivity so I don't trust it to provide a signal and have a conventional 2100 just for my old TiVo to get Speed channel.

BTW, had a tech out an hour ago to install my cablecards here in Austin. He didn't call in the ID or host # before plugging in the second card, which is doing a firmware upgrade. We suspect the second card is bad since it's still going. Waiting for him to come back with another card to try.
Meh.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #610
BigFrank

I may be the first Tivo Series 3 owner in Rochester NY...

Anyhow the cable installer came and installed both cards. No hitches and all programming including HBO channels and all the Hi-Def programming came in just fine right off the bat! Asides from the installer telling me he's heard nothing but bad things about CableCard (probably from management) he was quite amiable and patient. The whole thing took less than an hour.

I did notice however that all the sub-99 channels (and their above 99 counterparts) are coming in Analog. Most of the channels above 99 that dont have sub 99 counterparts are coming in digital though. And since I now can get OTA HD I can watch the local FOX channel in Hi-Def even though our cable carrier doesn't yet have it. I just wish Sci-Fi channel and Comedy Central was coming in digital. (or better yet HD).
BigFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #611
hookbill
Feathered Member

Install went great!

I had a supervisor and a lead tech out. They went through the entire set up checking signals from the box to my basement. Then we went through the cable install. Apparently we rushed to confirmation screen on second card which took a few more minutes but we got it resolved and everything went great. The Supervisor, Lennie left me his card with his desk number and told me to call if I had any problems

I'm more then pleased with my install!
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #612
biffski

Question Time Warner Cable error message??help

Starting last week, whenever my TV is off and Tivo (Series 2 Humax-upgraded harddrive) attempts to change to a channel to record I get an error message on the TV screen and the channel sticks and does not change and the picture (on the channel that doesn't change) has degraded. The error message on the screen is "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch television."

This message again only occurs when the TV is off and Tivo wants to change the channel to begin recording. It does not happen when the TV is on and Tivo wants to change the channel (whether I click on "do you want to change?" or not). Other then leaving my TV on all the time what shall I do? I rebooted the cable box two times and checked all my hookups. They are all good. I use S-Video for the hookups of my cable box to the Tivo and the Tivo to the TV (a Panasonic LCD HDTV). The cable box is a a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD. I did call Time Warner and they told me Tivo is not supported and I should rent their crappy box. (yeah, sure) I then called back and told them to send a tech for a replacement box on friday. They told me they will charge me if it isn't there box. (yeah, right)
Any other suggestions?? Thank you community for all your help.

RS
biffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #613
wemcbain

Time Warner Nyc Series 3 Installation

Has anyone recently had TW install the 2 cable cards into their S3 box for NYC?

My S3 has just arrived and of course I now have a wait of 15 days until TW can provide the installation service. Typical of TW and the monopolistic situation we live in.

I have received conflicting info regarding the pricing, first it was $30.30 for a installation (Truck Stop), then the next call advised me that there was an additional $19 for the installation, this I can live with.

But, the TW website for NY & NJ list a CCard charge of $1.75 per month per card. but the scheduler now tells me that the cost is $3.75/month per card and this is consists for each card of $1.75 plus $2 to mirror channels (to duplicate channels??)

Has anyone had the same pricing experience? And how did the installation go?

Thanks
wemcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #614
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemcbain

My S3 has just arrived and of course I now have a wait of 15 days until TW can provide the installation service. Typical of TW and the monopolistic situation we live in.

I have received conflicting info regarding the pricing, first it was $30.30 for a installation (Truck Stop), then the next call advised me that there was an additional $19 for the installation, this I can live with.

But, the TW website for NY & NJ list a CCard charge of $1.75 per month per card. but the scheduler now tells me that the cost is $3.75/month per card and this is consists for each card of $1.75 plus $2 to mirror channels (to duplicate channels??)

Thanks

Heh Heh....There's all kinds of talk about installs in NYC. There's even a tech from TW here. Look back a page or so.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #615
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Heh Heh....There's all kinds of talk about installs in NYC. There's even a tech from TW here. Look back a page or so.
I think about 40% of this thread is devoted to TWCNYC.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #616
wemcbain

Hookbill, yes I have read the posts regarding problem installations in NYC, perhaps by my appt. date of Oct18 TW NYC will have gotten its act somewhat together and I await any info re the TW NYC pricing from members of the community who live in NYC

Again thanks
wemcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #617
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffski
Starting last week, whenever my TV is off and Tivo (Series 2 Humax-upgraded harddrive) attempts to change to a channel to record I get an error message on the TV screen and the channel sticks and does not change and the picture (on the channel that doesn't change) has degraded. The error message on the screen is "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch television."

This message again only occurs when the TV is off and Tivo wants to change the channel to begin recording. It does not happen when the TV is on and Tivo wants to change the channel (whether I click on "do you want to change?" or not). Other then leaving my TV on all the time what shall I do? I rebooted the cable box two times and checked all my hookups. They are all good. I use S-Video for the hookups of my cable box to the Tivo and the Tivo to the TV (a Panasonic LCD HDTV). The cable box is a a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD. I did call Time Warner and they told me Tivo is not supported and I should rent their crappy box. (yeah, sure) I then called back and told them to send a tech for a replacement box on friday. They told me they will charge me if it isn't there box. (yeah, right)
Any other suggestions?? Thank you community for all your help.

RS

You'll have better luck with this posting in the help form, since it has nothing to do with Tivo Series 3.

But, unless you are using an HDMI cable somewhere in the mix, it sure sounds like a cable box issue to me.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #618
biffski

Thank you. Will do.

R
biffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #619
frieze

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille
I had this *exact* same issue with Time Warner New York (but I'm in Brooklyn). The techs tried three different cable cards, and all exhibited the same problem.

FINALLY, a supervisor came out yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what he did, and when he left it still didn't seem to have worked. Within an hour, though, the second card was working perfectly. The CP screen for each card shows that "Auth Status" is "CP Auth Received".

One thing I didn't understand till recently is that the "Decryption Status" displayed on the card's CP screen will vary based on what channel the card is currently tuned to - if it's a premium channel, it reads "OK", whereas for a non-premium channel it reads "No ECMs Detected" (when it wasn't working, "Decryption Status" for premium channels was something like "Waiting for ECMs"). So when I thought this value was fluctuating from minute to minute, it actually wasn't.

For any other TW customers in Brooklyn having CableCard problems, I recommend that you try to get this supervisor involved. His name is Vincent, and he's terrific.

For the record, I don't attribute any of my problems to any malicious doings at Time Warner - I think that, barring a few isolated incidents, they recognize that this is something they need to support, and are being cooperative. All of the techs have told me that it's a new technology for them, and it's one TW clearly doesn't understand fully. But all three of the techs I dealt with have worked hard to get my cards working, and have been a pleasure to deal with.

Still working after 24 hours - I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

After all that worry things wound up getting resolved by a phone call at 8 something. I just called and told them that I thought my second cablecard wasn't working properly, and the guy on the phone fumbled around with their system for a few minutes (they don't do that many cablecard configs so he had to do some trial and error, which is understandable) and then he re-hit it. What is weird is that after he did that nothing had changed, so he had me turn my tv off and on again, which then caused it to work right away. I will freely concede that this makes no sense (my tv is connected via component video so it can't even be an hdmi handshake problem,) but it worked. My only problem now is that my tv loses it on some transitions when in HD mode now, but I suspect that is just a result of having a first generation HD set which auto-senses a little too quickly when there is a signal interruption. All told I am quite happy with Time Warner's performance in the whole matter.
frieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #620
SmirkingRevenge

I've spent most of the day dealing with cablecard pains. The cards have worked just fine for all non-encrypted channels. However all HBO, premium HD, etc channels are grey screened when I tune them with the TIVO. I finally (after using a backdoor direct level 3 tech number) got in touch with a tech who seemed knowledgable who stated that if this was an encryption problem, I'd be getting a "you are not authorized for this channel, call xxx-xxxx to purchase the service" message, and not a non-signal screen. Is this correct? He wants me to waste yet another day with an installer who's going to recheck my signal levels (which the guy supposedly did today and he said it was fine). If he's wrong, I will call them back yet again and try something else...
SmirkingRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #621
rodalpho

Quote:
I now have a wait of 15 days until TW can provide the installation service. Typical of TW and the monopolistic situation we live in.
Geez, 15 days? I thought I was bad at 10 days. I feel your pain man. I called every single day at 9AM trying to get an appointment to come earlier. Finally, FINALLY, my appointment is tomorrow.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #622
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirkingRevenge
I've spent most of the day dealing with cablecard pains. The cards have worked just fine for all non-encrypted channels. However all HBO, premium HD, etc channels are grey screened when I tune them with the TIVO. I finally (after using a backdoor direct level 3 tech number) got in touch with a tech who seemed knowledgable who stated that if this was an encryption problem, I'd be getting a "you are not authorized for this channel, call xxx-xxxx to purchase the service" message, and not a non-signal screen. Is this correct? He wants me to waste yet another day with an installer who's going to recheck my signal levels (which the guy supposedly did today and he said it was fine). If he's wrong, I will call them back yet again and try something else...
He is wrong. That would be true for a STB but not for a Cablecard.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #623
angel35

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
How are you using an 8300HD to drive your old TiVos? Mine automatically shuts off the video output after a period of inactivity so I don't trust it to provide a signal and have a conventional 2100 just for my old TiVo to get Speed channel.

BTW, had a tech out an hour ago to install my cablecards here in Austin. He didn't call in the ID or host # before plugging in the second card, which is doing a firmware upgrade. We suspect the second card is bad since it's still going. Waiting for him to come back with another card to try.
Meh.
My 8300HD does not turn off at any time . I get a signal at all times from the back of the box YWR out puts to the tivo

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
Old 10-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #624
minckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
My 8300HD does not turn off at any time . I get a signal at all times from the back of the box YWR out puts to the tivo
If you get the SciAtl Users' Manual (you'll have to join their "club" to download it), you'll find a section about the unit powering off - and even the schedule for it doing so. It looks like TWCNYC (and maybe most places using Passport instead of SARA software) have turned off that "feature." If you still have that feature, it's probably worthwhile to ask to do a self-installed swap for another box. Just say that your current one is noisy and you want to try another one -- no point in trying to explain anything else.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #625
minckster

Quote:

Thanks
See my post #147 way above. I got $19 installation + $1.75 per card. It was an a-w-f-u-l fight. I've since cancelled cable. While waiting for the installation, I found that free OTA is fine for me.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #626
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

I now get all my channels

After 6 techs it finally works.

Here's what I wrote to a tech for TW. I got the instructions on here in another thread and tweaked it slightly. The important thing is if you aren't getting all your channels, make sure you restart tivo and unplug it for the memory to clear. This is akin to REBOOTING windows after windows update.

I finally got the S3 to show all channels. First off I've been chatting with Josh Rouw on your live chat since last week. We've tried paring, hits etc. No luck. Today I emailed him again and he said he was at work today and I asked him if he could call me again. He did and we were off to work. Here are the steps we followed exactly. Actually as I was talking to him, he revised this into more concise steps with exact menu buttons to push on Tivo. I think he will give this to the other techs so that they will know. Basically what happened is that NO TW Tech nor contractor followed the instructions Tivo provided. They just tried to setup both cards at one time. The steps have to be followed exactly. What would happen is that they would all try to set it up incorrectly and after awhile finally read the instructions and do it as instructed. But what they failed to do is restart the system so that it would clear its memory. They just tried it on top of a bad installation. what I did was completely restart the system AND unplugged it to make sure hte memory was cleared. Then I started over and followed all the instructions exactly as indicated below. I hope this helps your team. If the first tech had simply followed as it was written, this would not have had occured.

All the techs would tell me that I would have to wait 4 hours or more for the hits to come through. This is completely UNTRUE. I can tell when the hit comes by looking at the cable card diagnostic menu in Tivo. Under CP diag, there is a line that says "POWER KEY." If it is not authorized and not hit, it will say "Waiting for EUT." Once hit, it will say "ready." After it says ready, the channels will be received under 5 minutes max (it was more like 2 minutes).

The solution was simple...follow the instructions EXACTLY! In all the
previous times we left the first working cablecard in and just put a second
one in and tried to get that to work...with no results. This time we went
back to step one and followed the instructions form TiVo exactly.
1. Restarted TiVO and then pulled the plug...no power.
2. Removed BOTH cablecards (including the working one..this made me nervous)
3. Plugged TiVo back in and restarted without any cablecards.
4. Once it rebooted...went to the cablecard setup screen
5. Inserted the first (working ) cablecard. TWC reprovisioned the card (sent signal to it)
6. Waited for the first cablecard to authorize and receive all channels
(about 5 mins)
7. Tested the channels on cablecard #1 and verified it was working.
8. Returned to the cablecard setup screen
9. Inserted cablecard #2 in the slot. TWC reprovisioned the card (sent signal to it)
10. Waited for cablecard #2 to say it was authorized (cablecard diag
screens)
12. Went to test the channels on cablecard #2 and waited (less than 5 min)
13. All the channels began to work perfectly.
14. Verified that all channels worked on both cablecards
15. Jumped up and down and shouted with excitement since it was finally
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #627
rodalpho

Yeah. The recurring theme seems to be follow the damn instructions already.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #628
mikeromo

Amazing...the TimeWarner person I talked to said they didn't even SUPPORT CableCards. I'm in LA...

ridiculous.
mikeromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #629
minckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeromo
Amazing...the TimeWarner person I talked to said they didn't even SUPPORT CableCards. I'm in LA...

ridiculous.
This might help: http://www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal...cablecard.html

If that's not your local company, google it. Time Warner sites are very similar across the country.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 AM   #630
H.I.McDunnough

Quote:
The solution was simple...follow the instructions EXACTLY! In all the
previous times we left the first working cablecard in and just put a second
one in and tried to get that to work...with no results. This time we went
back to step one and followed the instructions form TiVo exactly.
1. Restarted TiVO and then pulled the plug...no power.
2. Removed BOTH cablecards (including the working one..this made me nervous)
3. Plugged TiVo back in and restarted without any cablecards.
4. Once it rebooted...went to the cablecard setup screen
5. Inserted the first (working ) cablecard. TWC reprovisioned the card (sent signal to it)
6. Waited for the first cablecard to authorize and receive all channels
(about 5 mins)
7. Tested the channels on cablecard #1 and verified it was working.
8. Returned to the cablecard setup screen
9. Inserted cablecard #2 in the slot. TWC reprovisioned the card (sent signal to it)
10. Waited for cablecard #2 to say it was authorized (cablecard diag
screens)
12. Went to test the channels on cablecard #2 and waited (less than 5 min)
13. All the channels began to work perfectly.
14. Verified that all channels worked on both cablecards
15. Jumped up and down and shouted with excitement since it was finally
Thank you SO much. I have been very concerned with the issues presented regarding Austin TW Cable. Sounds like it is just a process issue. I've printed these directions, and will call TW today to get things rolling. Thanks for taking one (or six) for the team.
H.I.McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote