TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #6091
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

weeeee...... Big lineup change hit DFW/North Texas today. I was expecting TiVo to handle it automatically, but it seems I need to re-run guided setup and select a different lineup and then adjust every season pass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #6092
ryannel

I had to rerun guided setup. Some of the new channels showed up (for channel numbers that didn't previously exist, that all appear correct. for legacy channels that are changing or disappearing, those seem to have stayed the same). None of the new channels like the locals in the 1200's are showing listings. "Old" channels that didn't change are showing the "old" TV schedule for today. will see if it gets fixed in a few days.

I had to go in and setup my season passes again... It was easy to do with the App.
ryannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #6093
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

not having the 1200 locals is an issue. Sounds like TiVo/tribune has yet to build out the new lineup for their systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #6094
ryannel

I think that is right. But now that TWC is showing the best available format on any channel, it means you can rely on the schedule for the "basic cable" channels 1-100 whose schedules are up to date and showing correct programming, and get the HD signal. At least for the xx.1 channels (i.e. 4.1, 5.1, 8.1, etc.).

Lots of wrong channels throughout the 200's and 300's though
ryannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #6095
59er
TiVotee

As a reminder, based on my experience in NYC (and others' experiences elsewhere), the Tuning Adapter is a key part of the auto-HD experience. You must have your TA attached and functioning in order to get the auto-HD.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #6096
InkBlot

I had to go back through guided setup twice...the first time returned the old lineup.

As a tip: if, while going through the setup where it asks you to confirm channels, and you select "No, or not sure" each time, then TiVo will simply come back and tell you how many channel lineups it found for your area, and show you complete lists. That's how I finally found my new lineup "Time Warner Digital Rebuild Extended" (or something like that).
InkBlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #6097
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel View Post
......... But now that TWC is showing the best available format on any channel, .......
TWC in some regions only. My region, SW Ohio, isn't scheduled to get this "auto-HD" thing until late next year.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #6098
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
TWC in some regions only. My region, SW Ohio, isn't scheduled to get this "auto-HD" thing until late next year.
Just curious. Where did you get this info?

This snippet from TWC's Programming Notifications for Dayton/Cincinnati seems to indicate the line up change is coming sooner than late next year.

"From time to time Time Warner Cable makes certain changes in the services that we offer. On or after August 13, 2014 Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system in the Dayton area that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in-the-clear”) channels on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (a “ClearQAM device”):"
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #6099
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
...... My region, SW Ohio, isn't scheduled to get this "auto-HD" thing until late next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
Just curious. Where did you get this info?
I was talking to a TWC rep located in Blue Ash on another problem and asked him about the change. I was surprised it would be so far out also. But we really don't need to be concerned with such things right? Just be assured TWC will do what's right for the customer -- after all "Coach" told you so.

Isn't it great that in addition to going through all the telephone menus and giving them your phone number -- again -- you also have to wait through coach'es stupid spiel before you even get started? It's like they're actually trying to be America's most hated company.

and
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #6100
SASouth

Quote:
I was talking to a TWC rep located in Blue Ash on another problem and asked him about the change. I was surprised it would be so far out also. But we really don't need to be concerned with such things right? Just be assured TWC will do what's right for the customer -- after all "Coach" told you so.

Isn't it great that in addition to going through all the telephone menus and giving them your phone number -- again -- you also have to wait through coach'es stupid spiel before you even get started? It's like they're actually trying to be America's most hated company.
Just another example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #6101
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
weeeee...... Big lineup change hit DFW/North Texas today. I was expecting TiVo to handle it automatically, but it seems I need to re-run guided setup and select a different lineup and then adjust every season pass?
I've heard my area is supposed to get it sometime in September. I just hope it comes on a day when I don't have any shows scheduled to record.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #6102
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
I've heard my area is supposed to get it sometime in September. I just hope it comes on a day when I don't have any shows scheduled to record.
That's what bittorrent is for...

We are still waiting, here in Torrance.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #6103
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
Let's see. September. When the networks are starting their new season.

Nah, shouldn't be any problem at all.

Does TWC understand any of the non-technical aspects of TV, like why people watch?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #6104
jollygrunt777

Well this morning I wake up to missing channels. I figured the TA needed a reboot so I did that. It didn't fix the issue. I then noticed that many of the channels from 2-99 were in HD when they're usually SD. Also non of my premium movie channels and most of my sports channels aren't working. I've done 5 repeat guided setups to no avail. Talk about a half assed rollout of the new lineup. Funny thing is that the letter I received from twc said that the changes wouldn't happen until September 11th.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #6105
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Call them back and keep asking for supervisors until you find someone who knows intelligent answers.
Good luck with that.

BUT, filing a complaint with the NYS PSC gave results in less than 12 hours (which I believe is the requirement).
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #6106
chassey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
That's what bittorrent is for...

We are still waiting, here in Torrance.
yesterday we received a ltr from TWC advising their new channel lineup will go into affect on 9/24/2014. having seen the confusion caused when they cancelled the earlier channel lineup change hope they keep Tivo in the loop and the changeover goes smoothly. regrettably it looks like it's the week the fall TV season starts. good luck all! sorry, forgot to say we live in Fullerton which should be part of the southern california service area

Last edited by chassey4 : 09-11-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: left out pertinent info
chassey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #6107
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

I have a question for TWC users in Austin, TX - and maybe others as well. On my bill I see "Standard TV - $74.99" and then immediately under that it says "Starter TV, Standard TV". When I look at the services TWC offers, there is a separate offer for Starter and Standard and neither of them is $74.99. The only thing offered that comes close to that price is "Preferred TV w/ Whole House DVR Service" or $79.99.

Does anyone else have a bill that looks like this? I'm looking for ways to reduce my bill as I am currently unemployed. It occurs to me that if I converted to Standard TV with a cable card in my Tivo HD it would be LESS than I am paying for the current analog service. Also, it now occurs to me that I might have been overpaying for cable for many, many years. I hope not.

Bill detail looks like this:

Old 09-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #6108
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
I have a question for TWC users in Austin, TX - and maybe others as well. On my bill I see "Standard TV - $74.99" and then immediately under that it says "Starter TV, Standard TV". When I look at the services TWC offers, there is a separate offer for Starter and Standard and neither of them is $74.99. The only thing offered that comes close to that price is "Preferred TV w/ Whole House DVR Service" or $79.99.

Does anyone else have a bill that looks like this? I'm looking for ways to reduce my bill as I am currently unemployed. It occurs to me that if I converted to Standard TV with a cable card in my Tivo HD it would be LESS than I am paying for the current analog service. Also, it now occurs to me that I might have been overpaying for cable for many, many years. I hope not.

Bill detail looks like this:

Keep in mind that what you see on the TWC website are almost always 12-month promo prices for new customers. The price your seeing seems reasonable when I compare it to rates for the equivalent package here. Every year, TWC sends out an insert with your bill that lists all the regular prices for things. I believe Standard TV (which includes Starter TV) is $72.99 here, regular price.

You could call and threaten to cancel completely, they might budge and give you a better rate.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #6109
cwoody222

My bill refers to packages called things that are no longer available.

So it's almost impossible to compare your bill to what current options they offer.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #6110
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Okay thanks - good info. I'll just get in touch with them and threaten to drop service and see what I can get. I am pretty sure that what I have is considered an "analog" package. I had heard some time ago that this package had become more expensive than a standard digital" package. I think this was because TWC wanted people to go digital/SDV. At that time I was unwilling to go digital because so many people had issues with cable cards and tuning adapters. I think I'm now ready to give it a whirl.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #6111
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassey4 View Post
yesterday we received a ltr from TWC advising their new channel lineup will go into affect on 9/24/2014. having seen the confusion caused when they cancelled the earlier channel lineup change hope they keep Tivo in the loop and the changeover goes smoothly. regrettably it looks like it's the week the fall TV season starts. good luck all! sorry, forgot to say we live in Fullerton which should be part of the southern california service area
Yep, it's supposed to be rolling out in Torrance 23 Sept 14.
Not looking forward to it either.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #6112
59er
TiVotee

Be reminded: The tuning adapter plays a critical role in auto-tuning HD on the new consolidated lineup.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #6113
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Be reminded: The tuning adapter plays a critical role in auto-tuning HD on the new consolidated lineup.
It always has; nothing new to see with coming lineup change.
Except more useless (to me) channels.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #6114
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Quote:
It always has; nothing new to see with coming lineup change.
Except more useless (to me) channels.
Yeah there's something new with TA's and auto-tuning: properly tuning **all** channels will depend on the TA instead of just the ones that are SDV now, about half my current channels. Thus I will likely experience twice as many tuning failures as I now have. At least that's my understanding of how it works. I would love to be wrong.

and
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #6115
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Yeah there's something new with TA's and auto-tuning: properly tuning **all** channels will depend on the TA instead of just the ones that are SDV now, about half my current channels. Thus I will likely experience twice as many tuning failures as I now have. At least that's my understanding of how it works. I would love to be wrong.
Yuck... seems crazy to put everything on SDV...

How is the 'tuning failure / missed recording' issue these days? Did updated TiVo code and TA code finally add a retry and fix the issue?

Im loving it here in 'no TA required' land... havent missed a recording since I moved.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #6116
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Yuck... seems crazy to put everything on SDV...

How is the 'tuning failure / missed recording' issue these days? Did updated TiVo code and TA code finally add a retry and fix the issue?

Im loving it here in 'no TA required' land... havent missed a recording since I moved.
As I understand it the software used on the latest Tivo models (Roamio's) has been modified to do tuning retries. This may also impact some Premiere models too -- not sure about that.

I'm still running a TiVo HD and even after the TA and CableCARD have been updated to the latest firmware, tuning failures have not decreased in frequency.

If my TWC region ever stops using SDV I may ask them how much it would cost me to keep the TA. It might be worth it just so I can take it out in a field and smash it with a sledge hammer!

and
Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #6117
Teeps

Quote:
If my TWC region ever stops using SDV I may ask them how much it would cost me to keep the TA. It might be worth it just so I can take it out in a field and smash it with a sledge hammer!
12ga shot gun with a deer slug, followed by 00 shot, that would get-er-done!

Knock on wood; my TiVo S3 648 rarely fails to tune a requested channel.
But, that I suspect is because the T/A gets rebooted daily via lamp timer...

My Elite XL-4 suffers more tuning failures than the S3.
The last time I called TimeWarner support for tivo message "Channel Not Available; contact cable provider".
The agent said it was because the tuning adapter becomes constipated, and needs a routine reboot to keep them regular. So to speak.
Since receiving that revelation, I have been rebooting the t/a once a week or when I remember to do it.
That seems to have cured(?) the problem.

dlfl, as much as I would like to see tw abort SDV. I don't think it's very likely. They have too much invested at this time, and with them canning analog service, opens up more band width for even more useless (to me) channels.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #6118
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

The Cisco STA1520 12V 2.5A TA power supplies (LiteOn) make great power supply substitutes for base model Roamios. So, please spare them from TA Rage, as they are both higher capacity, and better quality, than base Roamio 12V 2.0A wall-warts.

I switched all mine around (TiVo wart running the TAs, and TA brick running the base Roamios), and besides great results for the TiVos that were struggling with 3TB drives, the operating temp of the TA bricks stayed the same, while the TiVo warts run much cooler now (equal temps comparing the two, swapped).

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to get more of the TA bricks.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #6119
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
12ga shot gun with a deer slug, followed by 00 shot, that would get-er-done!
LOL. But I don't have a shotgun. Actually I don't have a "real" sledge hammer either, but a pipe wrench or just plain hammer will do the job.
Quote:
.... I have been rebooting the t/a once a week or when I remember to do it.
That seems to have cured(?) the problem.
Well I do have to power-cycle my TA every few weeks when I lose some or all of my SDV channels. However there is another random SDV-tuning mode that can occur any time -- even shortly after power-cycling it. A tuning retry (ch-up, ch-down) is needed then (and if it's tuning for a recording, the recording is lost). I get this type failure once or more every day on my THD.
Quote:
dlfl, as much as I would like to see tw abort SDV. I don't think it's very likely. They have too much invested at this time, and with them canning analog service, opens up more band width for even more useless (to me) channels.
I'm afraid you are right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The Cisco STA1520 12V 2.5A TA power supplies (LiteOn) make great power supply substitutes for base model Roamios. So, please spare them from TA Rage, as they are both higher capacity, and better quality, than base Roamio 12V 2.0A wall-warts.........
Hey, I don't think anyone is directing TA rage at the power supply.

and
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #6120
tatergator1

Quote:
I just checked the August 2013 fee brochure for TWC Central Ohio and the unreturned equipment fee for a TA was $143.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote