Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #6001
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
It appears you HAVE been reading but not paying close enough attention. It was I who originally stated that channels 1-99 were in HD and awakened the wrath of the Samurai.

The truth is that all who responded also saw HD on 1-99 and only one person states that she and about four of her neighbors only receive SD on those channels, so that may be a very local glitch.

Another thing I answered just 2 days (#5979) ago and appears just 17 notes prior to yours (#5996). Keep in mind this applies to Roamio units, earlier units may be different. It depends upon seeing the option to “Get Another Season Pass” which I only believe is new because I have never seen it before re-setting all my SP’s.

I manually changed almost all 122 of my season passes and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only ones I didn't change are those that have no upcoming episodes available or available on the channel I want the SP for. For instance, the regular channel for HBO is now 511 but the only upcoming episodes for Boardwalk Empire (reruns) are on other HBO channels so I left it as is until the next season starts. Here is how I did it. It may be tedious looking, but it will go fast once you get into a groove.

Click on your first SP / click on Upcoming / Click on any upcoming episode listed / Click on Season Pass Options / Click on Get Another Season Pass / Highlight 'Channel:' and you will be able to scroll left and right to all available channels. Find the one you want and get a new season pass.

Click on OK and you will see both SP's listed so click on the old SP and cancel it. Move to next season pass.

When you are done, you will have all your new SP's listed in the same order as the old ones had been with all the SP's you were not able to change due to reasons listed above at the top of your list to be changed when the shows air again.

No matter how many channels a program is carried on, they will be identical on all and you will watch/record in either HD or SD depending on what your TV/Tivo is equipped to do. All my SP's that were for HD channels 701 and up are now set for Channel 1 and up for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, USA, TNT, TBS, SYFY, ETC.,ETC.
Yup, that must be right, Just me and 4 neighbors in Brooklyn must be in our own little bubble. No one else has ever reported the same findings. Not this guy or this guy or this woman. (i don't know any of those people, just in case you're thinking I have planted this conspiracy just to prove a point).

As always, YMMV.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #6002
Cainebj

Quote:

I manually changed almost all 122 of my season passes and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Thank you TiVo Jack for taking the time to answer - and yes I see you said what you did earlier - guess i was not paying close enough attention #sorryboutit

unfortunately, there is no option to "get another season pass" for me on my unit so ...

I am looking for upcoming episodes - getting a new season pass and then I will have to re-order and delete all the old ones. yayyyy.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #6003
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
unfortunately, there is no option to "get another season pass" for me on my unit so ...
Which Tivo Series are you using?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #6004
Cainebj

Quote:
Which Tivo Series are you using?
TiVo Premiere XL4

I had to do all the SPs manually by looking for upcoming episodes and setting a new SP on any show that is still airing. Then I had to re-order all of them (I tried to do this online at tivo.com and they wouldn't take). Then I had to re-do manual recordings. Then delete the old SPs. Not to mention I still have about 20 or more old SPs that can't be reset until the shows air again. Took close to 3 hours.

TiVo really should have come up with some work around at least on the big Broadcast stations CBS, ABC and NBC.

and I notice LOGO is still in SD. really TWC?

Last edited by Cainebj : 06-12-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edit
Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #6005
EH NYC

Roamio owner and TWC subscriber here from the Upper West Side. First and most important---thanks to the forum members who have offered advice on how to update the TiVo to reflect the TWC channel lineup realignment. As a longtime TiVo owner, I am disappointed that TiVo did not reach out to provide this information that affects so many owners. I received multiple mailings and e-mails from TWC about this in advance of the realignment; nothing from TiVo.

I am also having the same issue with channels 1-99 in SD. Wish I had spotted that before I had updated my Season Passes to include programs on those lower channels---I had to update those SPs a second time to account for the SD/HD issue by changing the channel to a higher number.

BTW, I spotted an error in TiVo's updated channel info. The HD version of NY1 is at channel 200 (it isn't included in the local channel neighborhood starting at 1200); the updated TiVo channel listing incorrectly states that channel 200 is NY1 Noticias.
EH NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #6006
mlsnyc

I too thank everyone who's given advice on this. It's been very helpful in minimizing the disruption to me.

I did have a very very minor glitch that I'm only bringing up to see if anyone's seen or heard of it and know what's going on: two of the SP's I tried to recreate had upcoming shows listed but I wasn't able to create another SP, I could only modify or delete. I had to create them from scratch like any other new SP. For the other ones that had upcoming shows the create another SP function worked as described here.

The offending SPs were Archer on FXHD and Sirens on USAHD. Archer was created on the TiVo itself while Sirens was through the web interface.

Any ideas what happened here?

Thanks.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #6007
bsc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwmax View Post
100% can confirm in Manhattan, NY that new channel lineup with Tuning Adapter shows HD on channels 1-99.
I'm on the upper west side with a tuning adapter and I'm getting SD on both series3 boxes.
bsc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #6008
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsc77 View Post
I'm on the upper west side with a tuning adapter and I'm getting SD on both series3 boxes.
Looks like my friend Samurai is not alone afterall. Yesterday I was watching the Mets Game on channel 26 in HD. I called my friend who also owns a Co-Op in my building and whom I knew would be also watching the game.

The new TW channel changes came up and he said he was watching the game on the higher channel 3?? because 26 was not in HD. I said that it was and asked him to look. He did and 26 was in HD, so apparently for him it was SD at first and we are in the same building. Go figure.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #6009
Cainebj

Makes me wonder if this is a tuning adapter thing where it can be in HD but if the adapter doesn't connect to HD it defaults to SD or something?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #6010
bsc77

Quote:
Looks like my friend Samurai is not alone afterall. Yesterday I was watching the Mets Game on channel 26 in HD. I called my friend who also owns a Co-Op in my building and whom I knew would be also watching the game.

The new TW channel changes came up and he said he was watching the game on the higher channel 3?? because 26 was not in HD. I said that it was and asked him to look. He did and 26 was in HD, so apparently for him it was SD at first and we are in the same building. Go figure.
OK that's a good sign. Do you have a tuning adapter? Does he?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #6011
cwoody222

I was hooking up a new TiVo, CC and tuning adapter yesterday. Took 3 separate calls to TWC to get it all working. Sheesh. And least they didn't tell me the hardware was broken or they needed to send a tech. No one even told a lie like how TiVos aren't compatible or something.

I did call the CC hotline directly each time.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #6012
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
OK that's a good sign. Do you have a tuning adapter? Does he?
I have a TA, he does not have Tivo, he uses only the TW box...a bit of a caveman.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #6013
bsc77

Quote:
I have a TA, he does not have Tivo, he uses only the TW box...a bit of a caveman.
I had a lengthy conversation with TWC today and from what they told me, by design the "local programming" channels are in the 1200's. They said that channels 1-99 should be coming in SD, not HD.

As far as the "your box will pick up SD or HD" statements that I've read on this thread, it only applies to channels above 99. So for those of you that are getting HD in the 1-99 range, congrats because that's not what's supposed to be going on. For the rest of us, it's going to be 1200 for local stations like CBS, NBC, etc. I apologize if this has already been stated in the thread but figured I would pass on the message.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #6014
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I had a lengthy conversation with TWC today and from what they told me, by design the "local programming" channels are in the 1200's. They said that channels 1-99 should be coming in SD, not HD.

As far as the "your box will pick up SD or HD" statements that I've read on this thread, it only applies to channels above 99. So for those of you that are getting HD in the 1-99 range, congrats because that's not what's supposed to be going on. For the rest of us, it's going to be 1200 for local stations like CBS, NBC, etc. I apologize if this has already been stated in the thread but figured I would pass on the message.
No, the rep you talked to didn't know what they were talking about, or they were talking about some particular franchise that TW did something different on. Many folks here (probably hundreds, including me in Rochester,NY and my mother in Buffalo,NY) have gone through this change now, and have seen that most channels 1-99 are now HD for them. I agree that some folks have not, but that's an error in setup on TW's end.

Here's a quote from TW:
“Our new, theme-based lineup will make it much simpler and easier for our customers to navigate through the lineup,” said Deborah Picciolo, senior vice president of operations at Time Warner Cable. “And with the new lineup, customers with an HD box will automatically receive the HD feed of the corresponding standard-definition channel where available, providing the best picture.”
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #6015
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I'm seeing a pattern with TW/TWC, and I don't even have them as my cableco...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10142639 - Where I posted this originally, but felt it belonged here, which is the official/main TW thread.

1. Claiming 6 tuners are not supported
2. Claiming issues w/Roamio w/out specifics
3. Issuing equipment without proper instructions, and no "self-install kit", leaving the customer to know what they need and how to hook it up properly, requiring customer to buy a splitter and PoE filter for each TA (if required due to MoCA, and requiring the customer to know this).

Essentially, they are telling the people who request cablecards and TAs that they are going to have problems. They are bad-mouthing TiVo and succeeding in planting seeds of doubt.

Last I recall, discouraging the use of retail equipment had been outlawed.

I've been putting in overtime on TCF solving a great many problems (mostly with TW) by explaining that MoCA and TAs don't play well together. The TAs can't pass through the MoCA frequencies, plus the frequencies cause the TA to malfunction, even if a splitter is used, without a PoE filter on the TA leg.

Cox provides a "self install kit" for free with every TA issued. It comes with a splitter, cables, a MoCA PoE filter, and the proper diagram for using the splitter, PoE filter, and not using the coax-out port on the TA, but using the cable from the other splitter leg, instead.

TW badmouths TiVo, then just gives the customer the cablecard and/or TA, without any self-install kit, and not letting their customer know that just hooking it up the way it looks like it should hook up, is a recipe for problems.

I think that those stuck with TW, who have been helped by my posts, can thank me by banding together and filing complaints to the FCC about TW.

If Cox can get it right, TW can. I don't think, even for a moment, that the absence of proper instructions is an innocent oversight. I can say that Cox is generous by including the extra hardware in their kits, at no charge. Where I draw the line is TW not providing a simple sheet of paper with the diagram and instructions Cox provides, which applies to TW installs as well. TW may not have an obligation to throw in the kit contents for free, but the customer should get the instructions and know what they need to get, and how to hook it up, correctly.

If no MoCA is involved, the kit hardware isn't needed. But, it seems to me, the people not using MoCA at all, are the minority, and the numbers are shrinking.

All this to say, and I'm not even a TW customer... I'm just the guy trying to reverse the seeds of doubt TW plants, and counteract the bad experience they want their customers to attribute to TiVo.

I wonder just how many people with TW wind up returning new Roamios, and renting TW boxes, instead, and never find their way here. I think TiVo would like to know, and would like the FCC to know, as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #6016
bsc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
No, the rep you talked to didn't know what they were talking about, or they were talking about some particular franchise that TW did something different on. Many folks here (probably hundreds, including me in Rochester,NY and my mother in Buffalo,NY) have gone through this change now, and have seen that most channels 1-99 are now HD for them. I agree that some folks have not, but that's an error in setup on TW's end.

Here's a quote from TW:
“Our new, theme-based lineup will make it much simpler and easier for our customers to navigate through the lineup,” said Deborah Picciolo, senior vice president of operations at Time Warner Cable. “And with the new lineup, customers with an HD box will automatically receive the HD feed of the corresponding standard-definition channel where available, providing the best picture.”
I get that and this article may explain some of the differences in the experience for customers in different markets. The article states that "local programming" is available on 2-22 OR 1200-1304.

On the PDF I saw on the twc site channels 1-99 are not theme based even though the entire rollout of the new lineup is. Channels 1200-1304 on that PDF says "local programming" which is one of the new themes. Does your channel 1-99 have a theme or is it all random networks? I know my lineup has cbs,abc, all the major networks as well as SNY, MTV, disney, national geographic ,etc. which is not a theme.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...-channels.html
Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #6017
hytekjosh

Quote:

Here's a quote from TW:
Correct. If one has the tuning adapter properly hooked up, they should receive HD on the lower channels unless there is a difference in equipment from an earlier acquisition (slim chance).
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #6018
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10142639 - Where I posted this originally, but felt it belonged here, which is the official/main TW thread.

1. Claiming 6 tuners are not supported
2. Claiming issues w/Roamio w/out specifics
3. Issuing equipment without proper instructions, and no "self-install kit", leaving the customer to know what they need and how to hook it up properly, requiring customer to buy a splitter and PoE filter for each TA (if required due to MoCA, and requiring the customer to know this).

Essentially, they are telling the people who request cablecards and TAs that they are going to have problems. They are bad-mouthing TiVo and succeeding in planting seeds of doubt.

Last I recall, discouraging the use of retail equipment had been outlawed.

I've been putting in overtime on TCF solving a great many problems (mostly with TW) by explaining that MoCA and TAs don't play well together. The TAs can't pass through the MoCA frequencies, plus the frequencies cause the TA to malfunction, even if a splitter is used, without a PoE filter on the TA leg.

Cox provides a "self install kit" for free with every TA issued. It comes with a splitter, cables, a MoCA PoE filter, and the proper diagram for using the splitter, PoE filter, and not using the coax-out port on the TA, but using the cable from the other splitter leg, instead.

TW badmouths TiVo, then just gives the customer the cablecard and/or TA, without any self-install kit, and not letting their customer know that just hooking it up the way it looks like it should hook up, is a recipe for problems.

I think that those stuck with TW, who have been helped by my posts, can thank me by banding together and filing complaints to the FCC about TW.

If Cox can get it right, TW can. I don't think, even for a moment, that the absence of proper instructions is an innocent oversight. I can say that Cox is generous by including the extra hardware in their kits, at no charge. Where I draw the line is TW not providing a simple sheet of paper with the diagram and instructions Cox provides, which applies to TW installs as well. TW may not have an obligation to throw in the kit contents for free, but the customer should get the instructions and know what they need to get, and how to hook it up, correctly.

If no MoCA is involved, the kit hardware isn't needed. But, it seems to me, the people not using MoCA at all, are the minority, and the numbers are shrinking.

All this to say, and I'm not even a TW customer... I'm just the guy trying to reverse the seeds of doubt TW plants, and counteract the bad experience they want their customers to attribute to TiVo.

I wonder just how many people with TW wind up returning new Roamios, and renting TW boxes, instead, and never find their way here. I think TiVo would like to know, and would like the FCC to know, as well.
Very interesting..do you have more info on the MOCA-TA interference? Do you mind sharing the wiring diagram Cox gave you? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #6019
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Very interesting..do you have more info on the MOCA-TA interference? Do you mind sharing the wiring diagram Cox gave you? Thanks!
If I can't find a link to the online version, I'll scan it and post it.

However, I've been very active in a lot of CC, TA, and MoCA threads for many cable providers recently. TW customers have been who I've been the most help to lately, followed by Cox. I've repeatedly posted the information you're interested in, just not any actual pictures/diagrams. I've spelled it out so many times I'm wearing out my keyboard...

Concise version: Don't use the "OUT" port on the TA (if it has one) to connect to anything. Use a 1000MHz/1GHz rated splitter, and use one leg to the TiVo IN, and the other leg to the TA IN. If MoCA is in use, place a PoE filter on the splitter leg going to the TA (if Cisco/SA brand). Other TAs seem to not need one, but using one can't hurt anything. Don't use the TA passthrough (inline) method like TiVo's diagram shows. Always pair the cablecard before connecting the USB link cable to the TA. Give the TA 5-10 minutes of being powered-on before making that connection, which should be the last connection made, once all else is taken care of, and it may take a few minutes to be detected by the TiVo. Don't let any provider rush any steps, or reboot just because things are taking time. Making multiple calls between steps is sometimes the better way, than one long call. All the reasons and explanations have been left out to keep this concise, but can be found in other threads.

EDIT/ADD: Concise MoCA & TA issue explanation: No TA can adequately pass-through MoCA frequencies. Some TAs (especially Cisco/SA) will malfunction if MoCA signals are not filtered out (blocked).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-15-2014 at 10:34 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #6020
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If I can't find a link to the online version, I'll scan it and post it.

However, I've been very active in a lot of CC, TA, and MoCA threads for many cable providers recently. TW customers have been who I've been the most help to lately, followed by Cox. I've repeatedly posted the information you're interested in, just not any actual pictures/diagrams. I've spelled it out so many times I'm wearing out my keyboard...

Concise version: Don't use the "OUT" port on the TA (if it has one) to connect to anything. Use a 1000MHz/1GHz rated splitter, and use one leg to the TiVo IN, and the other leg to the TA IN. If MoCA is in use, place a PoE filter on the splitter leg going to the TA (if Cisco/SA brand). Other TAs seem to not need one, but using one can't hurt anything. Don't use the TA passthrough (inline) method like TiVo's diagram shows. Always pair the cablecard before connecting the USB link cable to the TA. Give the TA 5-10 minutes of being powered-on before making that connection, which should be the last connection made, once all else is taken care of, and it may take a few minutes to be detected by the TiVo. Don't let any provider rush any steps, or reboot just because things are taking time. Making multiple calls between steps is sometimes the better way, than one long call. All the reasons and explanations have been left out to keep this concise, but can be found in other threads.

EDIT/ADD: Concise MoCA & TA issue explanation: No TA can adequately pass-through MoCA frequencies. Some TAs (especially Cisco/SA) will malfunction if MoCA signals are not filtered out (blocked).
Thank you very much for this information. You don't need to scan the diagram, I understand. One clarifying question: wouldn't I need a 2GHz splitter since MOCA operates in the 500-1650MHz range? I'm also confused because I see many "MOCA" splitters only saying 5-1200MHz which leaves out 450MHz of coverage..
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #6021
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Thank you very much for this information. You don't need to scan the diagram, I understand. One clarifying question: wouldn't I need a 2GHz splitter since MOCA operates in the 500-1650MHz range?
It's designed to "punch through" lower-rated splitters (also transmits at a very high power level), even through the usual 130dB output port isolation of good splitters. Nothing above 1GHz is necessary, although some would point out it can even get through lower-rated ones (YMMV), while some (with good intentions) recommend unnecessary higher-rated splitters. Higher ratings can't hurt, but very rarely has it ever fixed anybody's MoCA problems, or made any significant enhancements/improvements. I'll note that all coax should be RG6, and any RG59 may degrade things, if it's passing/carrying MoCA through it.

MoCA is designed to avoid requiring changing your existing coax and splitters (YMMV, if you have old/RG59/poor-quality coax, or poor-quality splitters). The only PITA factor about MoCA is that it requires PoE filters to contain it, and to keep it out of devices that can't handle it (as well as keeping it inside your home).

EDIT/ADD: Why doesn't MoCA just "power-through" tuning adapters? Many TAs aren't a true passive (passthrough) device. They have a built-in signal amplifier (mostly to keep the OUT at the same level as the IN), which is only designed to work up to 1GHz. Any amplifier or device with an amp may have issues unless designed specifically for MoCA (YMMV, some amps with a higher rating might work).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-15-2014 at 11:51 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #6022
svakaskutla

HD lost on 5 channels after TW line up change in Manhattan

When the TWC line up changes went into effect in Manhattan last week, I re-did 'guided set-up' and everything seemed to be working. I didn't check every channel but noticed last night the first HBO channel (now 511) is not in HD but all the others are. I called TWC and they said it is a Tivo issue because I don't have a TW DVR and hung up on me (!) then I called back and got a nicer guy who actually tried to help but was baffled by this but thinks it is some sort of a signal problem... I rebooted the Tivo and the TW modem to no avail.
The other channels that have lost HD are: BIO (134), Lifetime (170) WLIW (1222) and WNJN (1223). I don't care so much about those but I do mind not being able to watch HBO original runs. I can watch reruns in HD the next day on a different HBO channel but this really sucks (missed GOT). Can someone please tell me what is going on and what can be done about this (?)
s
svakaskutla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #6023
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
I have to go with Crispy 100% here. I originaly spoke to two levels of TW support and one Tivo support person and all agreed that what you see does not depend on the channel you tune to, but the equipment you are using.

Several have mentioned 'more ease of navigation'. Was it easier with the old line-up to look for CBS SD on 2 and CBS HD on 702 or with the new line-up with, as you state, CBS SD on 2 and CBS HD on 1209? I don't think so, why not 1202.

Think about how many times you have called TW about a problem and realized you were talking to an idiot who knew NOTHING about what you inquired about. Well, you have just had a "lengthy conversation" with another TW idiot.

What the new line-up does to make navigation easier is to allow you to choose any channel and let you receive programming that matches your equipment.

There are now several more people who are still getting only SD on 1-99, but they are a fairly small minority of all who have checked in on this.

I live in a Co-Op building in Brooklyn and right now, Verizon is more than half finished wiring the building for FIOS. I am hoping they will offer a one month or more free trial but if not, my non-Tivo equipped friend is bolting from TW as quick as he can. I already told him that if there is no free trial I am going to be watching TV at his apt. to see what FIOS is all about.

There was a guy on here named Rich Adams who was the most helpful person I have ever seen with anything TIVO and he once told me to drop TW and go to FIOS as quick as I can. He pretty much left this community a couple of years ago, and since then I have also heard some bad things about FIOS.

At least there will finally be competition moving into the arena where the cable companies have always been operating as mini-trusts neighborhood by neighborhood. They divided the city up much like the 5 'families' divide the city for their criminal activities.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #6024
bsc77

Quote:
I have to go with Crispy 100% here. I originaly spoke to two levels of TW support and one Tivo support person and all agreed that what you see does not depend on the channel you tune to, but the equipment you are using.

Several have mentioned 'more ease of navigation'. Was it easier with the old line-up to look for CBS SD on 2 and CBS HD on 702 or with the new line-up with, as you state, CBS SD on 2 and CBS HD on 1209? I don't think so, why not 1202.

Think about how many times you have called TW about a problem and realized you were talking to an idiot who knew NOTHING about what you inquired about. Well, you have just had a "lengthy conversation" with another TW idiot.

What the new line-up does to make navigation easier is to allow you to choose any channel and let you receive programming that matches your equipment.

There are now several more people who are still getting only SD on 1-99, but they are a fairly small minority of all who have checked in on this.

I live in a Co-Op building in Brooklyn and right now, Verizon is more than half finished wiring the building for FIOS. I am hoping they will offer a one month or more free trial but if not, my non-Tivo equipped friend is bolting from TW as quick as he can. I already told him that if there is no free trial I am going to be watching TV at his apt. to see what FIOS is all about.

There was a guy on here named Rich Adams who was the most helpful person I have ever seen with anything TIVO and he once told me to drop TW and go to FIOS as quick as I can. He pretty much left this community a couple of years ago, and since then I have also heard some bad things about FIOS.

At least there will finally be competition moving into the arena where the cable companies have always been operating as mini-trusts neighborhood by neighborhood. They divided the city up much like the 5 'families' divide the city for their criminal activities.
I totally agree, my TWC rep may not know what she's talking about and unfortunately my bdlg isn't yet wired for FIOS or I would have already switched.

I have no idea what should be going on with SD vs HD as both angles make sense. The new theme based layout would make no point if channels 1-99 contained a variety of themes, ie musics, sports, news, etc. However it also makes no sense to have all my "local programming" in the 1200's.

I have a 3rd TV with a TWC box, I'm going to take a look at that tonight and see how channels 1-99 look and let you know.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #6025
Teeps

FYI.
Time Warner (Torrance, CA) recently sent a post card, informing customers, that they have not executed the channel lineup change in our area.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #6026
cwoody222

Quote:
I am in Buffalo and I can confirm how it's supposed to work here and how it does work here is that you will get the HD version of any channel - if it exists - no matter what you tune to.

If I go to any channel below 99 that has an HD "duplicate" on a higher channel, I still see HD.

I can view HD of my local networks on 2, 4, 7 or 1202, 1204 or 1207.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #6027
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I am in Buffalo and I can confirm how it's supposed to work here and how it does work here is that you will get the HD version of any channel - if it exists - no matter what you tune to.

If I go to any channel below 99 that has an HD "duplicate" on a higher channel, I still see HD.

Paraphrasing Claude Raines' character in "Casablanca", I am **shocked** that there are TWC systems that don't play well with Tivo!

Can't wait for the "fun" when this change is rolled out in TWC SW Ohio.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #6028
cwoody222

Interesting to read about TA and MoCA interference. I just set up a 2nd TiVo (both with TA's) for my father and he needed MoCA to provide internet in the room the new unit was going.

In the setup where I needed to create the MoCA network (the TiVo next to the modem and router) I split the cable, one into the MoCa adapter and another into the TA (and the out to the TiVo).

In the other setup where I had to USE the MoCa network I can't remember 100% but I think I split it, one coax direct to TiVo and the other coax to MoCa and then out to TA. (TA and TiVo only connected via USB in that setup, I didn't use the output of the TA this time).

I didn't see to have any problems or interferrence.

It was my first MoCa install and it was pretty easy and flawless.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #6029
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Interesting to read about TA and MoCA interference. I just set up a 2nd TiVo (both with TA's) for my father and he needed MoCA to provide internet in the room the new unit was going.

In the setup where I needed to create the MoCA network (the TiVo next to the modem and router) I split the cable, one into the MoCa adapter and another into the TA (and the out to the TiVo).

In the other setup where I had to USE the MoCa network I can't remember 100% but I think I split it, one coax direct to TiVo and the other coax to MoCa and then out to TA. (TA and TiVo only connected via USB in that setup, I didn't use the output of the TA this time).

I didn't see to have any problems or interferrence.

It was my first MoCa install and it was pretty easy and flawless.
No comment, since there's no TA brands named, and murky details otherwise.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #6030
Tivo II Jack

Quote:

Concur 100% but I do believe there are a number of people not getting HD on 1-99 in NYC.

Quote:
I get your point but it is actually worse than that. When SD 2, 4, 7, corresponded with HD 702, 704, 707 there was some logic.

Right now, 2, 4, 7 actually correspond with 1209, 1203, and 1200, aka total absence of logic.