TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #5971
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
Okay I have a quick question. As I think I've stated before, I'm in Rochester and I have Preferred TV. I found out recently that apparently my favourite channel, Investigation Discovery, is available on Standard TV. I was really surprised to find that out! But I'm really confused, I thought Standard TV only went up to channel 70?

Does Standard TV still allow to to watch Free OnDemand through the TWC app? I use my roku to watch OnDemand since getting my tivo.

I'm thinking of downgrading to Standard TV to save some money because as long as I get that channel I'm happy!

Sent from Tapatalk
We're talking about TWC, right?

As soon as you make the switch they'll remove that channel from their Standard tier, because TWC.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #5972
artemis89
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 14
Yeah I'm talking about TWC.

Are you saying that I should remain on Preferred? I seriously had no idea the one channel I wanted would be on Standard as well.

Sent from Tapatalk
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #5973
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
Yeah I'm talking about TWC.

Are you saying that I should remain on Preferred? I seriously had no idea the one channel I wanted would be on Standard as well.

Sent from Tapatalk
I was semi-jokingly predicting that TWC would screw you sooner or later.

Go ahead and make the change and if they remove that channel at some point you can then decide if it's worth the extra money to get it back.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #5974
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
Time Warner Changes Its Entire Channel Lineup

I am in Brooklyn, NY and a TW subscriber. Yesterday, TW did a massive revamping of its channel lineups that included just about every single channel. A sample of the changes as it applies to the broadcast networks and some cable channels were that channels 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 11, 16 were CBS, TNT, NBC, Fox, TBS, CW (WOR), PIX and USA in standard definition. Those same channels in HD were on 702. 703, 704,…716, etc.

Now there are still multiple channels carrying the same broadcast but they are all in both SD and HD. Whichever you use will send the signal your equipment is able to handle. People with SD equipment will view/record in SD and those with HD equipment will view/record in HD on any channel.

Normally when TW (or any cable provider) makes changes to their channel lineup, the Tivo will quickly see the changes and make any necessary changes to your To Do items as well as your Season Passes. These changes were so many in number, it seems it is taking my Roamio Pro a very long time to do this.

Today I had to manually record all shows in my To Do list and so far it looks like I will have to do so again tomorrow. I have no problem doing that until Roamio catches up, but there is also a problem with season passes. Almost all the networks shows are already in summer schedule and any that are not now showing reruns cannot be replaced by new season passes because there are no upcoming showings available to use to set new season passes.

I am sure this will all work itself out but I am wondering if I should just wait for Roamio to catch up and adjust to the new lineup or where ever possible, make new season passes that conform to the new channels.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #5975
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,968
Yep, read up in this thread, what you describe has happened elsewhere.

For me, what they did was create a NEW lineup which I had to switch to. But, a few days later they deleted that lineup and the changes were applied to the old lineup. So I had to switch again.

Above in this thread has some hints of what you may have to do in order to switch your lineup.

Your Season Passes on channels that no longer exist WILL need to be set up again in the Fall when the shows return. You can either keep your inactive SPs over the summer or, do what I did, create Auto-Record Wish Lists for each one. Then, I changed them back to Season Passes when I could.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #5976
59er
TiVotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 304
Manhattan is supposed to change on Tuesday 6/10.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #5977
randymac88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
Manhattan is supposed to change on Tuesday 6/10.
My lineup changed either last night or today. My entire system is completely jacked right now because of it. I have dozens of season passes that are not recording, and right now Tivo doesn't even have a place for HBO, so Game of Thrones isn't recording anywhere. I don't even know where to start in order to sort this out. I suppose I'll do some reading at the office tomorrow.

Anyone know if this SD/HD business all being on the same channel has any implications on picture quality or compression rates?

Edit: I am in the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

Last edited by randymac88 : 06-08-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Telling you where I am
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #5978
WatchesTV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Arrow Bitten by the TWC lineup change - didn't change?

Hi all,

I have also been bitten by the TWC Brooklyn lineup change, but my issue is a little different. (I don't care about having to redo the SP's, I'll just re-do them. Pain but at least I can do it.)

I have service with two TiVos (Roamio Pro & original TiVo HD). I haven't checked the TiVo HD yet, but my (almost brand new) Roamio has the new lineup in its memory, so the channel numbers have all changed.

However, the channels themselves haven't changed! If I want HBO, I still go to 651. If I want WPIX, I go to 711. WNBC, 704. And so forth. So, watching Game of Thrones tonight I entered channel 651 and it played. Later, watching WPIX news (which I don't ordinarily do) I type 711 and it plays. But the TiVo thinks I'm on a different channel.

So... My channels haven't changed...!??

Any idea what to do about this? Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Seems a full reboot of the TiVo and tuning adapter fixed things.

Last edited by WatchesTV : 06-08-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Solution
WatchesTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #5979
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac88 View Post
...and right now Tivo doesn't even have a place for HBO, so Game of Thrones isn't recording anywhere. I don't even know where to start in order to sort this out. I suppose I'll do some reading at the office tomorrow.
I am also on TW in NYC (Brooklyn)

I manually changed almost all 122 of my season passes and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only ones I didn't change are those that have no upcoming episodes available or available on the channel I want the SP for. For instance, the regular channel for HBO is now 511 but the only upcoming episodes for Boardwalk Empire (reruns) are on other HBO channels so I left it as is until the next season starts. Here is how I did it. It may be tedious looking, but it will go fast once you get into a groove.

Click on your first SP / click on Upcoming / Click on any upcoming episode listed / Click on Season Pass Options / Click on Get Another Season Pass / Highlight 'Channel:' and you will be able to scroll left and right to all available channels. Find the one you want and get a new season pass.

Click on OK and you will see both SP's listed so click on the old SP and cancel it. Move to next season pass.

When you are done, you will have all your new SP's listed in the same order as the old ones had been with all the SP's you were not able to change due to reasons listed above at the top of your list to be changed when the shows air again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac88 View Post
Anyone know if this SD/HD business all being on the same channel has any implications on picture quality or compression rates?
No matter how many channels a program is carried on, they will be identical on all and you will watch/record in either HD or SD depending on what your TV/Tivo is equipped to do. All my SP's that were for channels HD channels 701 and up are now set for Channel 1 and up for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, USA, TNT, TBS, SYFY, ETC.,ETC.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #5980
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
No matter how many channels a program is carried on, they will be identical on all and you will watch/record in either HD or SD depending on what your TV/Tivo is equipped to do. All my SP's that were for channels HD channels 701 and up are now set for Channel 1 and up for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, USA, TNT, TBS, SYFY, ETC.,ETC.
That's not true. If you use 1-99 for those networks, you're going to get SD, not HD. There are higher tier channels for the HD versions of those channels.

Here are just a few that are SD on the low end and HD on the high end, for example:

2 = 1209 (WCBS - CBS) (used to be 702, for example)
3 = 103 (TNT)
4 = 1203 (WNBC - NBC)
5 = 1206 (WNYW - FOX)
6 = 258 (Nick)
7 = 1200 (WABC - ABC)
35 = 112 (Tru TV)
36 = 116 (Spike)
45 = 113 (Comedy Central)
61 = 264 (Cartoon Network)
64 = 160 (HGTV)
65 = 129 (National Geographic)
80 = 630 (LMN)
81 = 627 (IFC)
85 = 121 (TV Land)

There are more that I just haven't listed. Easiest is for you to go to http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv...neup.html.html and type the network name into the channel finder search box in the upper right, It will show you all the channels that are assigned to that network.
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #5981
hytekjosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
That's not true. If you use 1-99 for those networks, you're going to get SD, not HD. There are higher tier channels for the HD versions of those channels.

Here are just a few that are SD on the low end and HD on the high end, for example:

2 = 1209 (WCBS - CBS) (used to be 702, for example)
3 = 103 (TNT)
4 = 1203 (WNBC - NBC)
5 = 1206 (WNYW - FOX)
6 = 258 (Nick)
7 = 1200 (WABC - ABC)
35 = 112 (Tru TV)
36 = 116 (Spike)
45 = 113 (Comedy Central)
61 = 264 (Cartoon Network)
64 = 160 (HGTV)
65 = 129 (National Geographic)
80 = 630 (LMN)
81 = 627 (IFC)
85 = 121 (TV Land)

There are more that I just haven't listed. Easiest is for you to go to http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv...neup.html.html and type the network name into the channel finder search box in the upper right, It will show you all the channels that are assigned to that network.
If you have a tuning adapter it should tune in the HD automatically on the lower channel.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #5982
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
If you have a tuning adapter it should tune in the HD automatically on the lower channel.
I do have a tuning adapter. I've had it for over a year. And it doesn't. Those channels I mention, and a few others, are SD on the lower tier for me and HD on the higher tier. I even went and swapped it out for a new TA yesterday, because TiVo cust svc thought maybe it was defective (seemed unlikely to me since the TA does everything else it's supposed to do). The new TA results are the same.

I don't really care which channel I get HD on, as long as I get the things I care about in HD, which I do. I simply have 1-99 unchecked in my Roamio channel settings and have the higher numbers checked off for those channels. All is good.
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #5983
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
That's not true. If you use 1-99 for those networks, you're going to get SD, not HD. There are higher tier channels for the HD versions of those channels.
First of all, the link you provided does not show anything about channels being HD or SD, it only lets you know what channels carry what networks.

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong. I verified what I posted with SEVERAL TW Techs at two support levels and also talked about it with a Tivo tech support person who agreed that what I was saying was entirely possible.

What you see or record is determined by the equipment you are using. HD and SD signals are going out over ALL channels and your equipment will use the signal it is capable of using.

The proof of this is available to every one of us right here, right now now. All I have to do is look at a TV screen and I can tell if it is HD or SD. I am looking at channel 2 (CBS) in Brooklyn right now and it is definitely in HD.

Before you ask why TW doesn't just eliminate the duplicate channels, some channels carry the exact same programming on more than two channels. If TW eliminated all the duplicates, they would have to reduce the number of channels they CLAIM to be making available to subscribers.

Had to come back to add this. Look at the new channel guide we all received in the mail. It shows Channel: 2 WCBS (CBS) It also shows Channel: 1209 WCBS (CBS) Neither channel shows anything about being HD or SD.

If you don't have that guide, at the link you provided there is a link to a PDF copy of it.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 06-10-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #5984
59er
TiVotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 304
My friend's TA wasn't tuning HD for him on lower channel numbers. It turned out that the installer didn't connect the TA to the TiVo using the USB cable; once the USB was added, the problem was fixed.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #5985
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,968
My father is upgrading his TiVo with a new model and moving the old model to the bedroom.

Two questions:

1) Is TWC's CableCARD hotline 800-number open on Sundays?
2) He cannot simply swap the CableCARD from the old unit into the new unit, can he? It still has to be "paired" to the new unit, right?
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #5986
SASouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
I do have a tuning adapter. I've had it for over a year. And it doesn't. Those channels I mention, and a few others, are SD on the lower tier for me and HD on the higher tier. I even went and swapped it out for a new TA yesterday, because TiVo cust svc thought maybe it was defective (seemed unlikely to me since the TA does everything else it's supposed to do). The new TA results are the same.

I don't really care which channel I get HD on, as long as I get the things I care about in HD, which I do. I simply have 1-99 unchecked in my Roamio channel settings and have the higher numbers checked off for those channels. All is good.
What you are describing sounds like you don't have the new channel lineup yet.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #5987
drwmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
What you are describing sounds like you don't have the new channel lineup yet.
100% can confirm in Manhattan, NY that new channel lineup with Tuning Adapter shows HD on channels 1-99.
drwmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #5988
SASouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwmax View Post
100% can confirm in Manhattan, NY that new channel lineup with Tuning Adapter shows HD on channels 1-99.
I'm not disputing that fact. After all, being in Ohio I have no real way of knowing bread from apple butter on the subject.

However, from what macsamurai says in his post #5980 it appears that he's not getting HD on channels 1-99. Judging from that post alone it sounds to me like he's not getting the new lineup or hasn't noticed the change for some reason.

Maybe he needs to run guided setup again.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #5989
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
I'm not disputing that fact. After all, being in Ohio I have no real way of knowing bread from apple butter on the subject.

However, from what macsamurai says in his post #5980 it appears that he's not getting HD on channels 1-99. Judging from that post alone it sounds to me like he's not getting the new lineup or hasn't noticed the change for some reason.

Maybe he needs to run guided setup again.
If you've been following along, you'll see that i'm in brooklyn and I got the channel lineup change last week, as scheduled.

And while YOU and others may be getting HD on channels 1-99, I am not. Neither are several of my TiVo-owning my neighbors. But we really don't care, because as I said, for every network that is showing in HD in 1-99, there is a corresponding channel on a higher number that IS in HD.
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #5990
SASouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
If you've been following along, you'll see that i'm in brooklyn and I got the channel lineup change last week, as scheduled.

And while YOU and others may be getting HD on channels 1-99, I am not. Neither are several of my TiVo-owning my neighbors. But we really don't care, because as I said, for every network that is showing in HD in 1-99, there is a corresponding channel on a higher number that IS in HD.
I was responding to drwmacs post in support of your statement, not disputing it. Please read my words more carefully.

I'm out.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #5991
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
First of all, the link you provided does not show anything about channels being HD or SD, it only lets you know what channels carry what networks.

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong. I verified what I posted with SEVERAL TW Techs at two support levels and also talked about it with a Tivo tech support person who agreed that what I was saying was entirely possible.

What you see or record is determined by the equipment you are using. HD and SD signals are going out over ALL channels and your equipment will use the signal it is capable of using.

The proof of this is available to every one of us right here, right now now. All I have to do is look at a TV screen and I can tell if it is HD or SD. I am looking at channel 2 (CBS) in Brooklyn right now and it is definitely in HD.

Before you ask why TW doesn't just eliminate the duplicate channels, some channels carry the exact same programming on more than two channels. If TW eliminated all the duplicates, they would have to reduce the number of channels they CLAIM to be making available to subscribers.

Had to come back to add this. Look at the new channel guide we all received in the mail. It shows Channel: 2 WCBS (CBS) It also shows Channel: 1209 WCBS (CBS) Neither channel shows anything about being HD or SD.

If you don't have that guide, at the link you provided there is a link to a PDF copy of it.

First of all, please check your attitude. I've been a TiVo owner for almost 20 years and a Time Warner subscriber in Manhattan and then Brooklyn for almost 30 years. I work in technology and run a very successful technology support company here in NYC. I spend my days listening to people like you who think they know everything and rarely do. Try accepting that what YOU believe to be true isn't always a universal truth for everyone else. I'm not a kid and I'm not an idiot and just because YOU are seeing certain behavior, doesn't mean everyone is seeing the same thing. Your tone is obnoxious, juvenile and unhelpful -- all qualities that are generally not welcome in a user-help forum.

That being said, I NEVER said that the channel lineup link I referenced indicated anything about whether a channel was SD or HD, I merely said that for those network in 1-99 that had HD available, there is, without exception, a second channel that - at least in my case and the case of several of my TiVo-owning neighbors - airs in HD. So if someone (like me, and at least 4 of my neighbors who are also TiVo owners) is only seeing an SD feed on CBS channel 2, they should switch to channel 1209 instead, where it's showing up in HD. TWC's reasoning for duplicating all those channels may be as you say, to bump up their channel # claims - but whatever the reason, the fact remains that every HD-capable-network that airs in SD in 1-99 has a higher channel that airs in HD. That's some wild coincidence? Just to counter your theory on that, though, consider that many of the channels that previously were duplicated with clear SD and HD indicators (like the premiums - HBO/HBOHD, SHO/SHOHD, etc), are no longer duplicated -- and those do appear in HD on a single channel (for me and other friends/neighbors). Another wild coincidence?

The PDF at that link is old. At least for my zip code (11201). It was last updated in Sept of 2013 and shows the old channel lineup for Brooklyn/Queens, not the new one. I received the new lineup in the mail weeks ago, and it's less useful to me since it's not searchable like the web-based version is and it's uncomfortably small for my eyes.

How about we agree to disagree on the issue of whether every TiVo-pwning TWC subscriber in the NY Metro area is getting the exact same feeds and accept the fact that some are having an experience closer to yours and other are having an experience closer to mine. The one thing we probably CAN agree on is that TWC cares very little for us BYOB cable-card users and will never lift a finger to make things easier for us.
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #5992
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
I was responding to drwmacs post in support of your statement, not disputing it. Please read my words more carefully.

I'm out.
I did read your words. They were "from what macsamurai says in his post #5980 it appears that he's not getting HD on channels 1-99. Judging from that post alone it sounds to me like he's not getting the new lineup or hasn't noticed the change for some reason. Maybe he needs to run guided setup again."

Aside from the fact that I'm not a "he" (no offense taken, Laurie isn't exclusively a female's name), to me it implied that you thought I hadn't gotten the lineup change yet and/or that I hadn't re-run guided setup yet. That's what I was responding to. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

It's all good. We're all just trying to help each other and ourselves and we can all blame Time Warner for making us incredibly frustrated and cranky
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #5993
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
My father is upgrading his TiVo with a new model and moving the old model to the bedroom.

Two questions:

1) Is TWC's CableCARD hotline 800-number open on Sundays?
2) He cannot simply swap the CableCARD from the old unit into the new unit, can he? It still has to be "paired" to the new unit, right?
Not sure about Sundays, but today is only Tuesday, so unless you are expecting a late Saturday delivery, do it before or after Sunday.

Cards ALWAYS have to be paired with the Tivo unit serial number and since he is getting a "new model" why move the card? He is going to need a new card for the new model anyway so leave the old card be and get the new card paired to the new unit.

Have all the information you need on hand and be in the card setup screen before you call. Once the person doing the pairing sees you are familiar with the pairing process, the whole process takes about a minute.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #5994
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
[quote=macsamurai;10138416]First of all, please check your attitude.

Interesting. Most people who object to what they see as an improper attitude won’t normally follow a comment like yours above with nonsense like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
I've been a TiVo owner for almost 20 years and a Time Warner subscriber in Manhattan and then Brooklyn for almost 30 years. I work in technology and run a very successful technology support company here in NYC. I spend my days listening to people like you who think they know everything and rarely do. Try accepting that what YOU believe to be true isn't always a universal truth for everyone else. I'm not a kid and I'm not an idiot and just because YOU are seeing certain behavior, doesn't mean everyone is seeing the same thing. Your tone is obnoxious, juvenile and unhelpful -- all qualities that are generally not welcome in a user-help forum.
I don’t think I know everything, I am just very careful to apply common sense and logic to my responses. Logic helps us realize that when our circumstance differs from that of most others, it is probably our circumstance that is out of kilter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
…there is, without exception, a second channel that - at least in my case and the case of several of my TiVo-owning neighbors - airs in HD. So if someone (like me, and at least 4 of my neighbors who are also TiVo owners) is only seeing an SD feed on CBS channel 2, they should switch to channel 1209 instead,
I think your own comment above applies here: "Try accepting that what YOU believe to be true isn't always a universal truth for everyone else."

I have been coming here for information since 2003 and I have always found what I needed quickly and without conflict. This is one of the most helpful on-line communities that exist but having been here longer than I, you should realize that while we are all just trying to help each other, we should also learn from what we see here when the situation merits.

This string makes it obvious that all other responders here are seeing what I am seeing in the new line-up. Your comment above says that what YOU and of course, your neighbors, are seeing must be unique to YOUR neighborhood. That would make this an obvious TW problem in YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD and you should realize that you really have no business trying to tell people in other areas how the new line-up works.

In closing, sorry, but I could not resist this. I figured from the beginning that you were a female but I refused to put you in the stereotypical overly sensitive female category. I will be more careful in the future.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #5995
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
I did read your words. They were "from what macsamurai says in his post #5980 it appears that he's not getting HD on channels 1-99. Judging from that post alone it sounds to me like he's not getting the new lineup or hasn't noticed the change for some reason. Maybe he needs to run guided setup again."

Aside from the fact that I'm not a "he" (no offense taken, Laurie isn't exclusively a female's name), to me it implied that you thought I hadn't gotten the lineup change yet and/or that I hadn't re-run guided setup yet. That's what I was responding to. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

It's all good. We're all just trying to help each other and ourselves and we can all blame Time Warner for making us incredibly frustrated and cranky

That's always been my guiding principle--blame the cable company first!


__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #5996
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,660
in Manhattan:
can anyone explain why say the USA channel is on both 16 AND 101?
(there are others but that's an easy example)

but more importantly -
NONE of my SPs on the old now nonexistent HD channels converted over/remapped to the new channels so ...

looks like I will have re-DO all the season passes
which is not going to be easy since most of the shows are not running right now. argh.

anyone got a solution for that?

Last edited by Cainebj : 06-11-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: edit
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #5997
wtherrell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
in Manhattan:
can anyone explain why say the USA channel is on both 16 AND 101?
(there are others but that's an easy example)

but more importantly -
NONE of my SPs on the old now nonexistent HD channels converted over/remapped to the new channels so ...

looks like I will have re-DO all the season passes
which is not going to be easy since most of the shows are not running right now. argh.

anyone got a solution for that?
Haven't been reading the thread, have we?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #5998
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Haven't been reading the thread, have we?
yes I have been reading the thread
some people said it was because the higher channels were HD and the lower were SD (and others have said that is not true) -
someone else said it was so TWC could claim to have more channels in tiers...

Just trying to confirm that they in actuality the same and there for no good reason.

but wtherrell - thanks for the snarky reply
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #5999
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!
 
macsamurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NYC
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
yes I have been reading the thread
some people said it was because the higher channels were HD and the lower were SD (and others have said that is not true) -
someone else said it was so TWC could claim to have more channels in tiers...

Just trying to confirm that they in actuality the same and there for no good reason.

but wtherrell - thanks for the snarky reply
It is all quite confusing, Cainebj - you're not alone

In almost all cases, you're going to have to re-do your Season Passes since regardless of whether you're getting HD on 1-99 or only on the higher duplicated channels, the channel call names have changed from most of the major channels. Your SPs for CBS, NBC, ABC, TNT, HBO, etc - are probably all actually looking for a channel called WCBSDT, WNBCDT, WABCDT, TNTHD, HBOHD, etc. And those channels don't exist anymore. Now they are just WNBC, WCBS, WABC, TNT, HBO, etc. And some of those channels names can be found both in the 1-99 range as well as in the higher numbers (the 3-digit and 4-digit tiers). You might be getting HD on the 1-99 channels or you might not. We're obviously not all getting the same results. What's clear, is that you should have no problem adjusting your season passes to whatever channel is giving you the picture you want for the channel you want.

For me, I went through the online lineup guide at http://timewarnercable.com/en/tv/cha...neup.html.html and used the search box to filter the networks I was looking for. When there was 2 channels listed for that network, I checked each one to see if both were HD or just the higher number. In most cases, for me at least, the higher number was HD, but the 1-99 number was still SD (and boy does that look awful on my big screen!). So, I redid my SP's for the affected channels using the 3 and 4-digit channels instead of the 1-99 channels.

Someone ale said they thought those 3 and 4-digit duplicated channels would go away eventually, leaving only the 2-digit versions. I'm not sure if that's true or not. If it is, I guess I'll have to deal with it when it happens (perhaps then I'll actually have HD on the 2-digit channels I care about).

It's all a bit of a mess right now, I guess. There doesn't seem to be any one size fits all answer. The only universal truths seem to be (1) when your lineup changes you have to rerun guided setup and (2) if the actual channel name has changed (D or HD removed from the call name completely), you have to recreate your season passes for those affected channels. And also (3) we all hate Time Warner and it's all their fault
__________________
Laurie aka MacSamurai
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #6000
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
yes I have been reading the thread
some people said it was because the higher channels were HD and the lower were SD (and others have said that is not true) -
someone else said it was so TWC could claim to have more channels in tiers... :
It appears you HAVE been reading but not paying close enough attention. It was I who originally stated that channels 1-99 were in HD and awakened the wrath of the Samurai.

The truth is that all who responded also saw HD on 1-99 and only one person states that she and about four of her neighbors only receive SD on those channels, so that may be a very local glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
in Manhattan:
looks like I will have re-DO all the season passes
which is not going to be easy since most of the shows are not running right now. argh.
anyone got a solution for that?
Another thing I answered just 2 days (#5979) ago and appears just 17 notes prior to yours (#5996). Keep in mind this applies to Roamio units, earlier units may be different. It depends upon seeing the option to “Get Another Season Pass” which I only believe is new because I have never seen it before re-setting all my SP’s.

I manually changed almost all 122 of my season passes and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only ones I didn't change are those that have no upcoming episodes available or available on the channel I want the SP for. For instance, the regular channel for HBO is now 511 but the only upcoming episodes for Boardwalk Empire (reruns) are on other HBO channels so I left it as is until the next season starts. Here is how I did it. It may be tedious looking, but it will go fast once you get into a groove.

Click on your first SP / click on Upcoming / Click on any upcoming episode listed / Click on Season Pass Options / Click on Get Another Season Pass / Highlight 'Channel:' and you will be able to scroll left and right to all available channels. Find the one you want and get a new season pass.

Click on OK and you will see both SP's listed so click on the old SP and cancel it. Move to next season pass.

When you are done, you will have all your new SP's listed in the same order as the old ones had been with all the SP's you were not able to change due to reasons listed above at the top of your list to be changed when the shows air again.

No matter how many channels a program is carried on, they will be identical on all and you will watch/record in either HD or SD depending on what your TV/Tivo is equipped to do. All my SP's that were for HD channels 701 and up are now set for Channel 1 and up for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, USA, TNT, TBS, SYFY, ETC.,ETC.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |