TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #571
eisenb11

I've had bad luck with TWC support and cable cards. The one's I've talked to will do nothing other than schedule an appointment for a truck roll.

When I called, they wouldn't do anything over the phone.
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #572
danator

Quote:
If I called TWC support and tried to talk to a technician, would they even try to troubleshoot with me?
I tried and even reasoned with CSR, what's the point for me to wait days while i can troubleshoot and read the screen just like the tech. I could save a buck or two for them if that help....All i wanted is get me someone knows cable card or pull up and know what to do the data.

One of the cable guy mentioned TWC change the way Comcast used to work around here. You can't talk to dispatch directly, customer service will not get you to cable department but will roll a truck. They like to spending money, what can i say.

Despite how much i reasoned, she won't do it. Though she finally said she would but coudln't locate the tech at that moment. I asked for Extension or direct connection to the tech and i would leave a message....but she just won't do it....LOL. I really hope the cable card continue to work, i really don't have to time to entertain thier silly regulation. It's stupid, i hope TWC see what's the problem here.

Quote:
They tried to send a hit to the card twice, but nothing happened. At least with the first 4.05 rev card on Saturday, the TiVo started trying to acquire the channels. With this card today, I get nothing after waiting for a 1/2-hour after each hit. It just doesn't look like the hit is coming through. I'm not sure what else I could do with the tech there.
I have the same issue, the first card that used to work except premium channels was ruled out a bad unit but we got it to work eventually. I don't know it's human error on terminal ends entering wrong digit somewhere or what.

My tech was already late for other jobs he had in schedule but he had the will to try. I was afraid he would suggested my tivo got a bad driver that won't receive signal.
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #573
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

time warner contractors 4 and 5 out at my place. still no channels. they have digital boxes, signal verifiers, dismantled panels in my wall and still no channels. they say their company has done 6+ tivos and this is the only one giving them problems. ugh....
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #574
vpras

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenplu
Mentalradio:

I am hoping very much that my 10/7 retry at install will go through the way yours did.

My prior install had no success. Then I had the manager of the Ontario call center refuse to send another person because he stated Time Warner will not "help our competitors". He guaranteed a call back from the top level manager of the Ontario call center, which never happened. When I called three times again, I was hung up on twice, then finally got the Colorado Springs call center. A supervisor said that he cannot support the Series 3, and insists that it is not compatible. He finally agreed to send a tech next week saying that he's going to charge me for the trip charge whether it works or not. So I'm hoping that everything works this week.

I'm at least hoping that they try harder than they've been trying.

I have spoken with the very same call center (Ontario) and the one in Chattsworth (can't "see" Adelphia customers) and Garden Grove (can't "see" the Adelphia customer) and Colorado Springs. I have been denied a supervisor. I have had promises made that the tech will c/b after an 'incomplete', blah, blah, blah. I have NOT ONCE raised my voice even an octave. I have not once used a four letter word. Hands down TW is the WORST phone center staff I have dealt with in the tech universe - and that include off-shore centers where I can't understand the staff. The seemingly intelligent suggestion that they cannot verify data value via phone but must send a truck is not intelligent to TW - they would rather waste your time and their money - or is it both our time and our money. On a less bleak note the installer who came the first first time was sincerely trying. If I am lucky enough to get someone with a similar temperament on Wed. I'll be in business.

In the unlikely event that TW management folks (not the VERY helpful techs that have the balls to sincerely offer assistance on this board - thank you!) are reading any of this, note: you have bitten off more that you can chew. Your attempt to absorb Comcast and Adelphia WILL effect shareholder value. Your phone reps cannot berate customers. I will not be bullied into buying anything I do not want from you (your DVR vs. TiVo).

My friends recently asked me with what I make an hour (a very fair wage) why do I bother with this. The answer is simple - IT IS THE PRINCIPLE DAMN IT!!

I feel better now Allen - good luck with your install.
vpras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #575
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Time Warner Austin is HORRIBLE

someone help. i had 2 techs that just left. i think we were on cards 10+. we've tried re-pairing cards, re-hitting, changing all old splitters, boosters put on (signal they said is +17 now) and i am still missing channels. I'll get some upper channels, but loose the other channels. Now I have all locals, but loose TNT and Discovery HD. Other times I get TNT, Discovery, but loose some locals. It's ridiculous. It HAS TO BE TW AUSTIN'S END. So many cards have been tried. I obviously am capable of receiving those signals. It must be the authorization on TW's end. 1 week from now more TW techs are coming out. This will be 5th tech visit and 12+ hours spent on this issue.

UNBELIEVABLE. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #576
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
j2chulo, I just want to thank you for even showing up here. Shows a lot of guts.

Indeed not all TW systems are the same. Specially with the Adelphia takeover and Comcast merging. Apparently the Comcast people (Now TW) in my area can't get cards, probably because they are moto's and I'm SA so no problem (I hope, install on Wednesday).
Oh wow i didn't know we being taking over other area. I hope TW take over my cable Vision Area. lol Im tied of paying so much fo so little im getting. I want my free cable. Plus i want to buy a 42" plasma which will deff will look nice with a CC on it. Im thinking about getting the Tivo But i think im just going to wait till the price drop down. I will try to keep you guys inform about whats going on on our system in brooklyn. I know the Two way card its being tested right now so that coming on it way. Also Cellular phone that you can use it as house phone and take with you like a cell when you leave your house. but no much info on that yet
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #577
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalradio
My install took place on Saturday - and believe it or not - absolutely no problems. FOUR, yes FOUR, TW contracted installers showed up... none of whom knew anything about Tivo. I'm not sure if all of them were there to learn about installing Tivo or what, but they had a lively discussion about me in Spanish about being stupid for spending $800, no brains, etc etc. I walked them through what they needed to do, following the installs instructions from Tivo and from the posts here. Everything worked right the first time - then on their way out I told them in Spanish that they might want to be more careful what they say - some of us gringos know Spanish too...

really wish I had a picture of their expressions...

I want to extend my thanks to all of you posting your tech/install issues here... I think it saved me knowing what to look for and avoid some mistakes - installers (all 4) were in and out in 20 minutes.

Eisenb11 - In response to your post, I'm in LA (Silverlake - between downtown and Hollywood) former Adelphia... for me, all channels including G4, all HD and premium channels are up and running -

and btw - thanks for your advice earlier to check up on CSR's info that I could just pick up the CC at the office before driving over to TW Santa Monica office. That info from the CSR was, of course, not true.... saved me a drive through westside traffic.
HAHA that was funny i would love to see their face too when they heard you talking spanish to them. LOL i had similar problem too. but reverse. LOl people talking spanish thinking im from like Trinidad Guyana or some middle east country. when i get back at them in spanish they be like You're hispanic? LOL
Old 10-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #578
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
Interesting. A CSR last night told me I was having problems because the firmware on my cards is old.

Why can't they just update the firmware over the network?

They said a tech has to come to my place on Fri to handle this...
We do update it over the network but for some weird reason i had to replaced a card that took over a day doing this update so i believe old card my nah be suitable to this update.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #579
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
In Dallas as well, Farmers Branch, so we probably have the same tech.

Anyway, both mine are 4.05, motorola. Worked, 4.15 didn't work.

So he only tested twice and walked away? You gonna need to push them harder than that, We tried more than 10 times with different slots and swapping cards and finally get it to work. I would called and ask tech nicely to bring more than 1 card next time.
Good Idea to ask to bring more that one. i don't know how the system work out there but here it can take up to like an hour to get the card working so you probably not giving the card enought time to be hit and authorized. again i don't know the system out there so i may be wrong
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #580
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
Time Warner Austin is HORRIBLE

someone help. i had 2 techs that just left. i think we were on cards 10+. we've tried re-pairing cards, re-hitting, changing all old splitters, boosters put on (signal they said is +17 now) and i am still missing channels. I'll get some upper channels, but loose the other channels. Now I have all locals, but loose TNT and Discovery HD. Other times I get TNT, Discovery, but loose some locals. It's ridiculous. It HAS TO BE TW AUSTIN'S END. So many cards have been tried. I obviously am capable of receiving those signals. It must be the authorization on TW's end. 1 week from now more TW techs are coming out. This will be 5th tech visit and 12+ hours spent on this issue.

UNBELIEVABLE. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE.
Wow are they fully digital system ready on your area? because that sound like either the area its not ready for digital OR lot of leakage on your Cable Drop. Question did you had a digital box before the card? was the box working fine on those channels? if so them something extrange its going on. If not then the problem could be leakage. leakage on the your line or maybe on another customer line who is connected on the same TWC Main box can couse this type of problem that here in brooklyn we scalate it to the Plan department who take care of that
Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #581
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2chulo
Wow are they fully digital system ready on your area? because that sound like either the area its not ready for digital OR lot of leakage on your Cable Drop. Question did you had a digital box before the card? was the box working fine on those channels? if so them something extrange its going on. If not then the problem could be leakage. leakage on the your line or maybe on another customer line who is connected on the same TWC Main box can couse this type of problem that here in brooklyn we scalate it to the Plan department who take care of that
Yes I did have a digital box before hand and yes I did receive all my digital and HD channels w/o issue. I currently live in a fairly new appt (prob built in 2000 or so) and they ripped out the splitters in my wall and replaced it, put thicker cables in everywhere, checked signal strengths (I think I heard +17), tried 10+ cards, etc. I don't know what is going on. I've received all those channels at one point or another with the cable cards, it's just never at the same time. Each authorization or re-pairing causes certain channels to go away for some reason. I will mention leakage next time. If after a couple more truck rolls and I can't get HD, I'm gonna dump TW and just stick to OTA. I want verizon FiOS.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #582
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Remember guys Missing individual channels may nah be a Card Problem. It could be relate to other problem in the house or outside. A clean installation (Clean signal ) mean it should work with no problem but having bad splitter. ( 99Cents ) and some RadioShock splitter can cause tremendous problem i see this everyday. so before you go crazy thinking its the card or your tivo or your account just take a look at your cable line. Loose cable also contribute to this problem
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #583
Lisa898

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Schedule the appointment RIGHT NOW. I called sept 26 and they couldn't fit me in before oct 5. I've been calling every single day seeing if any spots opened up, but no luck. So my s3 is sitting there recording SDTV cooking shows from PBS. The only HD I've watched so far is shannon. Makes me a sad, sad panda.

Just as a temporary measure, you might try throwing a cheapie radio shack antena on the Tivo until you get an appointment. I was able to get all the networks in HD doing that in Brooklyn while I waited for my appointment with TWC.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #584
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Yes I did have a digital box before hand and yes I did receive all my digital and HD channels w/o issue. I currently live in a fairly new appt (prob built in 2000 or so) and they ripped out the splitters in my wall and replaced it, put thicker cables in everywhere, checked signal strengths (I think I heard +17), tried 10+ cards, etc. I don't know what is going on. I've received all those channels at one point or another with the cable cards, it's just never at the same time. Each authorization or re-pairing causes certain channels to go away for some reason. I will mention leakage next time. If after a couple more truck rolls and I can't get HD, I'm gonna dump TW and just stick to OTA. I want verizon FiOS.
Hmm strange. Do you still have a Cable box at your house? if yes which one scientic atlanta? or pioneer? also strong signal its not good either depending on the system. but that should not be the problem leakage may be or account issue. but if you have the box try this hook it up and see if those channels come in if they do then something wrong with the card or setting with that card
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #585
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2chulo
Hmm strange. Do you still have a Cable box at your house? if yes which one scientic atlanta? or pioneer? also strong signal its not good either depending on the system. but that should not be the problem leakage may be or account issue. but if you have the box try this hook it up and see if those channels come in if they do then something wrong with the card or setting with that card
No they took my box. It was a Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD. When I had that box (up till last Friday) I could get all the HD channels in my package (and evidently one extra one). Now some, but not others. I seem to have trouble with local NBC, TNT and Discovery HD the most. Also interesting is the other day I had some channels, but then today before the techs came, I had 0 channels. What is going on?

They brought their own cable box today to check something...I am assuming to see if I got the channels, but I wasn't watching when they were dealing with that.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #586
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
No they took my box. It was a Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD. When I had that box (up till last Friday) I could get all the HD channels in my package (and evidently one extra one). Now some, but not others. I seem to have trouble with local NBC, TNT and Discovery HD the most. Also interesting is the other day I had some channels, but then today before the techs came, I had 0 channels. What is going on?

They brought their own cable box today to check something...I am assuming to see if I got the channels, but I wasn't watching when they were dealing with that.
yeah that what i will do. first because if this problem consist the best way to figure whats going on is by putting a box and see if the box work fine on those channels.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #587
frieze

TWC NYC problem

Okay, so my install just got done (by franklin, #262 as well, is he the only cablecard guy in new york?) Anyway it looked like it all went well, and I checked the channels when he was here and all seemed well. On further investigation it is apparent however that all of the channels work with cablecard 1, while only the non-pay channels work with cablecard 2. The question I have now is, will I have to wait two weeks for another appointment? I called twc as soon as I noticed this and they said that they checked with the technician and he said that it needs time to pick up the signal, but this seems weird to me. Anyone have any suggestions on what to say on the next call? Anyone know whether they just have to send another authentication signal on the second card or whether I will have to wait another two weeks until they can replace the second one?
frieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #588
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieze
Okay, so my install just got done (by franklin, #262 as well, is he the only cablecard guy in new york?)
He's one of the good ones anyway.
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on what to say on the next call? Anyone know whether they just have to send another authentication signal on the second card or whether I will have to wait another two weeks until they can replace the second one?
If Franklin did what he did for me, your receipt should have your Host ID, card number and other assorted information written down, and what slot they're associated with. I'd ask TWCNYC to hit card #2 again and provide the info for what's in #2 as needed.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #589
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Okay, so my install just got done (by franklin, #262 as well, is he the only cablecard guy in new york?) Anyway it looked like it all went well, and I checked the channels when he was here and all seemed well. On further investigation it is apparent however that all of the channels work with cablecard 1, while only the non-pay channels work with cablecard 2. The question I have now is, will I have to wait two weeks for another appointment? I called twc as soon as I noticed this and they said that they checked with the technician and he said that it needs time to pick up the signal, but this seems weird to me. Anyone have any suggestions on what to say on the next call? Anyone know whether they just have to send another authentication signal on the second card or whether I will have to wait another two weeks until they can replace the second one?
If you could post what the cablecard CP screen (the first selection that doesnt say reserved IIRC) says it would be helpful to determine whats up.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #590
angel35

I called TWCNYC and i was told that they do not install cable cards in to tivos.I tryed to tell her that they do .She said they only install them in TVs. I could not talk to her so i said Good bye and hung up She did not know any thing about the S3 tivo

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #591
Redhaze737

Oceanic TW Honolulu

Installer showed up, admitted he'd never done it before, and was happy to see the TIVO instructions - not that it made much difference. The biggest problem was communication with the office. They first tried to install both cards at once from the office. Something about both cards being on one work order so they couldn't be installed one at a time. ??? 30 minutes later after getting nowhere they installed one card at a time and it went much smoother. All in all about an hour but it could have been shorter and probably will be as they get more experience.
Redhaze737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #592
rodalpho

Angel,

Call back and get another rep. She's wrong. When I called in and asked for 2 cablecards, the rep immediately said "Oh you have a tivo?", asked for my s3's serial number, and scheduled the appointment. This was back on september 26th no less. I live in manhattan.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #593
Scott5943

TW Cincinnati

OK, I'll jump in the fray!

Time Warner Cable - Cincinnati, Ohio

Scheduled my appointment on Friday (after random calls on Thursday where they wouldn't schedule my installation directly but wanted a supervisor to call me back instead - grrrr), so the Friday call guy set me up.

I clearly stated it was for a Series 3 (which is why they probably wanted a supervisor to start with) and that I would need 2 CableCards. I also asked that they put on the work order to bring a couple extra cards "just in case."

Called back yesterday (Monday) to ensure they knew what to bring - I asked them to read to me what is in their system to confirm it. I didn't tell them what I wanted, but had them read it from the system so that I knew it was there. They got it correct that I needed 2 CCs and to bring extras - I was smilin' yesterday!

Installer gets to the house today (within 20 minutes of the appointment window start time - woohoo!) and I start talking to him rather than let him touch ANYTHING. Of course, he has no idea that the installation was for a Series 3 and no one told him to bring more than 1 card. Sigh....

Luckily, he had another HDTV CC install right after mine and he was willing to use that card to set me up (his name was Jim and he was extremely nice about it).

He and I sat down and read thru the instructions before he started (first Series 3 install for him). I stressed that the most important thing for him was to set up the first card fully before starting the second. He was cool with it.

We went step by step and didn't seem to have any issues - he was open to "coaching" which was really good!

A representation of channels seemed to work OK at this point for both tuners/cards. He stayed for quite a while as we scanned thru the channels - I didn't spend much time on each, but just made sure something was coming in (THIS WAS MY MISTAKE!!!).

Everything seemed good and he trundled off in his little van.

Of course, that is when I play some more and notice something odd - one channel (TNTHD - 969 on TWC-Cincy) dumps its signal on card#2. Card #1 seems fine, but card#2 will find the signal for a second, then drops it (I'll be looking through the forums for that issue here in a minute!).

So, overall was an OK experience, but one problem is that I should have watched all the channels while he was still there.

Oh well, not too bad.
Scott5943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #594
Bubbette

To Hokie Fan, Columbia, SC - Bubbette here in Blythewood. After my previous post, re: TWC's techs, they did send another tech the next day to fix the cards and argued with us that they could not "switch" the cable cards around to check and see if one of the cards did not work or if our tuner 2 wasn't working. TWC- Columbia told us they in effect won't support Cable cards and don't support Tivo and really don't care if the cards do or do not work. The techs don't know a thing about cablecards or Tivo. After a few minutes of unpleasant bantering back and forth, they forced the signal and both cable cards now work. TWC, South Carolina needs a wakeup call quickly.
Bubbette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #595
angel35

Thumbs up knows tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Angel,

Call back and get another rep. She's wrong. When I called in and asked for 2 cablecards, the rep immediately said "Oh you have a tivo?", asked for my s3's serial number, and scheduled the appointment. This was back on september 26th no less. I live in manhattan.
I did that i got nice rep. that knew about tivo he also ask me if i need two cards. I now have a appointment for next week.Lets hope every thing gos well

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #596
frenchwiz
DAnderson

Great news! As of this weekend I have my S3 up and running. I ended up ordering it from CircuitCity, since Tivo was quoting 7-10 days to ship it.

I ordered it last Tuesday and received it on Thursday ($16 one day fedex shipping).

I called TimeWarner on Wednesday and my apptmt was setup for Saturday around noon. The guy had never installed a cablecard. I did most of the setup; he did the calling to get it activated. Only took about 45 minutes. We had a few misteps and were not always sure what the support people wanted (host ID, cablecard serial number, etc...) but worked through it fine. So as far as I'm concerned, kudos TimeWarner Cincinnati

Note: I already had HD programming and I was swapping out an 8300HD DVR, so maybe that made things easier. Initially, the second cablecard was not seeing the premium (ESPN, etc) HD channels, but after the TW tech spent 10 minutes on the phone that was working.

I love the picture quality! I have a direct view Sony 36" that just looked very grainy with my S2, because of compression loss I think. Now I can use the 720p or 1080i modes in all their glory. Eventually, I guess I'll have to buy a nice 16:9 aspect TV

I've had a few cases where the CableCard operator screen comes on, and I have to hit Clear to get rid of it, but I don't seem to lose any programming. Not sure why that happens. Anyone else notice this?

Bottom line, I'm a happy camper and things went swimmingly for me

Happy Tivo'ing!
frenchwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #597
jmX

Los Angeles area (Studio City), 2 techs came by today, put both cards in, made one phonecall, and a few minutes later all worked well. Total time was somewhere between 10-15 minutes. HBO HD and all the other special channels I ordered seem to work great. Can't ask for much more than that (granted, I waited 3 weeks for install due to them running out of cards 2 weeks ago)
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #598
Kifis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchwiz
...... kudos TimeWarner Cincinnati
I have to agree. Since luring me off satelite last year, I have had only positive experiences with TW-Cincinnati.

My tech also arrived last Thursday AM and spent an hour trying to pin down a slight line loss which turned out to be street side. He then mentioned that he had not seen the new Tivo and had only witnessed a TV cablecard install. He was happy to read the install brochure and follow my promptings. Things were up and running in short order. It took him a long time to close out his workorder - a harbinger of things to come.

Shortly after his departure card #1 failed. A powerdown and reboot brought the card back to life but several channel tiers were not available. Card had a 'waiting for EMMs' error (Entitlement Management Message). A series of phone calls throughout the day produced no results. In each case, though, the entry level tech and/or level 3 tech were determined to make it work. Finally we decided a card replacement was in order.

On Monday morning a tech arrived at the begining of his window, installed the new card and authorized it within twenty minutes. He too had not seen the Tivo and was glad to have some prompting. Been working great with all channels on both tuners - kudos TW Cincinnati.
Kifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #599
tsings31

Thumbs up TWCNYC in Brooklyn

I had my cards installed today by our very own, j2chulo. I was so happy when I found out that it was him. He really knows his stuff!!

The installation could not have gone smoother. The worse part was waiting for more than half an hour before dispatch answered and j2 was able to give the cablecard info. TWC needs to improve on that.

All I can say is, "Thank you" to j2 for a job well done. So far, everything is working well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tsings31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #600
krille

Seems to be a common problem with TWCNYC

Quote:
I had this *exact* same issue with Time Warner New York (but I'm in Brooklyn). The techs tried three different cable cards, and all exhibited the same problem.

FINALLY, a supervisor came out yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what he did, and when he left it still didn't seem to have worked. Within an hour, though, the second card was working perfectly. The CP screen for each card shows that "Auth Status" is "CP Auth Received".

One thing I didn't understand till recently is that the "Decryption Status" displayed on the card's CP screen will vary based on what channel the card is currently tuned to - if it's a premium channel, it reads "OK", whereas for a non-premium channel it reads "No ECMs Detected" (when it wasn't working, "Decryption Status" for premium channels was something like "Waiting for ECMs"). So when I thought this value was fluctuating from minute to minute, it actually wasn't.

For any other TW customers in Brooklyn having CableCard problems, I recommend that you try to get this supervisor involved. His name is Vincent, and he's terrific.

For the record, I don't attribute any of my problems to any malicious doings at Time Warner - I think that, barring a few isolated incidents, they recognize that this is something they need to support, and are being cooperative. All of the techs have told me that it's a new technology for them, and it's one TW clearly doesn't understand fully. But all three of the techs I dealt with have worked hard to get my cards working, and have been a pleasure to deal with.

Still working after 24 hours - I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
krille is offline   Reply With Quote