TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #541
skweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerra6880
Check your OS Build when I was able to get, 2.3.149s2 (0) May 2005, CP Authed I was missing most all of channels it wasn't until I got cards with OS Build 2.3.149.2 from July 2005 that I was able to get everything.
FWIW, in my case, my 2005 card has build 2.3.148s2 and my 2006 card has 2.3.149s2 and everything is coming in on both cards.
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #542
Diacritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2chulo
the Cad ID: its no need it. Only Card No: and Host ID

I don't think they will put it reverse. Unless they have that Card ID number you put up there as a Host Number. but how will they get that Card ID number?
All I can tell for sure is that he wrote them both down for both cards and reversed the order on the first card from the second (looking at the work order). He never read the numbers outlout to anyone -- just entered them on his yellow wirelss box and waited for it to light up. I did not get close enough to see what was diplayed there (and it was too busy for me to catch it all without staring for a while).

Quote:
About putting up a page to verify these number on your account i personally don't think that will be possible. Reasons. It may put the cust account on danger ( Hack)
Shucks... I can transfer funds directly out of my bank account on their website right now... but I understand the concern. It would be nice to be able to see the information on our accounts, though, and to be able to cause a "hit" on one or more boxes.

Quote:
2nd if a cust get to change those number it will mess up the acct and last not even us the tech has access to see a customer account info. We have to call the office to verify this info.
I agree that customers should not be able to change anything. That would just invite huge problems for customer support. I've served a little over 15 years in a support organization, so I know what a very small amount of latitude can do to a help desk's work load.

Thanks for the input, j2chulo. It is much appreciated.

--
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #543
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Yeah i understand your point of view. and yeah it will be nice if you guys can have an easy way to verify some information on your account. about having the wrong Host Id on your second Or first card. if you get to talk to a good customer Rep on the phone you should be able to give or verify this info with him/her over the phone. I mean that ain't hard to find that information out. but yeah card 1 and host 1 need to pair together. Card 2 and Host 2 Need to be pair together too. so if host 1 is on card 2 you have a prob there. but in your case you said one of your card is fine. Already Auth. so the problem with the other card may be wrong Host ID on it. Maybe wrong Mac. Address of that card on your account. the Mac address should be the PKBBB or something like that if you call as them to read that to you and check your card make should it match. also get the host for that card and read it to them make should it match as well. if thats fine then you should be good just ask for some Hit or Authorization if the probl still there you may have a bad card. Very important do not Switch card position. If card 1 was inserted on slot 1 of your tivo make sure it stay there other wise you just making a bit trouble your account (remeber the Host need to match the card) Switching card around will Divorce this Couple.
j2chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #544
Franco
2 x Series3!

TWC Dallas area. FINALLY, after all this time, the day for my appointment came yesteday after having to re-schedule it from September 19th because my Series3 hadn't arrived yet (see all 10,000 references to the shipping fiasco). After reading all the horror stories, I was getting paranoid that the tech wouldn't show, that I'd have to fight with him/her about putting the cards in a TiVo, on and on. But none of that happened. Two techs came within the 3-hour window yesterday. They said they had only done a couple of cable-card installs, but never in a TiVo. I gave them the cable card installer instructions, and they seemed fine with it.

The first card we put in was a Motorola with firmware 4.05. After he called in the information, all we got was the TiVo swirly wait screen for "Acquiring Channel Information". But after 10 minutes, no channels. The tech was on the phone with someone, and he asked me if I had the card in slot 1! The person on the other end must have known about the Series3, which impressed (and surprised) me. So we decided to pull that card and try the second card in slot 1. This card was a Motorola with firmware 4.21, and after one of them called in the info for that card, this one did start working. I was able to get SD channels, HD channels, and even INHD (which I think is encrypted? which means the card was fully working?). We did try to put the original card in slot 2, but still a no-go for that one. I was thinking that maybe the revision differences in the firmware was causing the issue, but after reading that others on the forum got cards with those 2 versions working in the same Series3, it's probably just a bad card. A tech will be coming back out on Monday afternoon to bring another card to try out.

I was relieved that the installation went as well as it did. I know that one of the cable cards wasn't functioning, but that seems to be on par with a lot of other users here. Overall, I'm pretty happy to have HD working on the TiVo.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #545
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
TWC Dallas area. FINALLY, after all this time, the day for my appointment came yesteday after having to re-schedule it from September 19th because my Series3 hadn't arrived yet (see all 10,000 references to the shipping fiasco). After reading all the horror stories, I was getting paranoid that the tech wouldn't show, that I'd have to fight with him/her about putting the cards in a TiVo, on and on. But none of that happened. Two techs came within the 3-hour window yesterday. They said they had only done a couple of cable-card installs, but never in a TiVo. I gave them the cable card installer instructions, and they seemed fine with it.

The first card we put in was a Motorola with firmware 4.05. After he called in the information, all we got was the TiVo swirly wait screen for "Acquiring Channel Information". But after 10 minutes, no channels. The tech was on the phone with someone, and he asked me if I had the card in slot 1! The person on the other end must have known about the Series3, which impressed (and surprised) me. So we decided to pull that card and try the second card in slot 1. This card was a Motorola with firmware 4.21, and after one of them called in the info for that card, this one did start working. I was able to get SD channels, HD channels, and even INHD (which I think is encrypted? which means the card was fully working?). We did try to put the original card in slot 2, but still a no-go for that one. I was thinking that maybe the revision differences in the firmware was causing the issue, but after reading that others on the forum got cards with those 2 versions working in the same Series3, it's probably just a bad card. A tech will be coming back out on Monday afternoon to bring another card to try out.

I was relieved that the installation went as well as it did. I know that one of the cable cards wasn't functioning, but that seems to be on par with a lot of other users here. Overall, I'm pretty happy to have HD working on the TiVo.

Looks like you are halfway there!!!!
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #546
vpras

ATTN j2chulo and Supertek

Card 1 gets all stations and HD

Card 2: nothing above 96 basic (Orange County, CA) which mean no digital cable channels and no pay (HBO, Show, etc) channels. I do get HD channels, but NOT pay HD.

Card 2 says:
Connected:yes
Enabled by cp:no
Auth: missing_program_key
CA enable: not possible

Can one or both of you provide guidance re this issue. My tech won't be back until Wed and I know they will ask what I learned on this board as they have not many, if any installs. The folks on the phone are simply worthless and the hold times are in excess of 30 minutes. Sounds like you two got it goin' on - can you help a former NYC brother out PLEASE!!
vpras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #547
lrhorer

CableCards

[quote=pntsoptional]Seriously though, I can’t imagine the S3 will ever be the "mass market" product the S2 is. CC cards are just too finicky and you have to know more about the install process than the techs.
Oh, I disagree entirely. When I worked for the cable company, the most common complaint by far was having to have a set top converter. People just do not want them, and have been screaming for a Cable Card type solution for 30 years. Now, the number of CC televisions is growing rapidly, and I suspect befgore too many more years have passed, all the cable company's set top terminals and DVRs will use cablecard. Cablecard is even more attractive to the CATV company than to the consumer, because it frees them from being locked into a single vendor for their boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntsoptional
PS: I also have all the HBO feeds, so switched digital doesn't seem to be an issue yet
SDV will be an issue, no question, but I strongly suspect it won't be a very big one.

There is an excellent chance the 2-way CC modules will not require any upgrades at all on the part of the receiver (in this case, the S3 TiVo) to capture ordinary SDV. Pay-Per-View or Video on Demand and options like StartOver and I-Control might or might not require an upgrade to the receiver (the CC card creates its own menus on the receiver via HTML, so it should not be necessary, even for those services), but the TiVo itself makes most of those options irrelevant. Why bother with VOD, when one can merely select to record the content in the To Do list and watch it at one's convenience? Is the user so anxious he can't wait until a day or so later to watch the program? With TiVo, there's always lots of great stuff to watch in the mean time. IPPV may not be available, but I have no problem waiting a month or two until the program airs on the regular premium channels. The rest of the features are handled better by the TiVo than the set top terminal, anyway.

Will there be an issue? Sure. You will need to arrange to obtain a Series II CableCard. That may mean going through the whole rigamarole of scheduling a visit from an installer, again, but by then CC installs will be much more trailing edge than now, and they may have even waked up to the fact they can save money by having the customer install the service. That's what happened with DOCSIS broadband modems. It's even not entirely unlikely the same thing may happen with CC modules: the consumer may be able to pick one up at Best Buy and tell the CATV company to go fly a kite with their monthly CC fees.

The bottom line? Don't panic.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #548
lrhorer

Oh, isn't that thoughtful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minckster
Here's the link for TWCNYC's refund policy for outages: http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/...rviceinfo.html It looks like you qualify for a day's refund if cable is out for at least four hours. Keep at em!
Oh, whoopie. A whole day's refund. For most CATV customers, that's less than $5. It wouldn't be worth my time on the phone.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #549
lrhorer

Sorry about that, Chief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmyk
got a rep that said "Sure you can pick them up at the office - come down when convenient"...

In a bit of a panic yesterday thinking TW would find a way to mess up my precisely planned project, so I called back and was informed that of course I could do the install myself - "Come on down and pick them up at your convenience"...

Walked in today at lunch (to an insane line) and waited for 35 minutes. I'll give you one guess as to the response I got:

"I'm sorry. We have to roll a truck and do the install. We can be there between 12 and 5 next Friday".
'A little tip for the future: When a CSR assures you of such a thing, be very nice, but insist you get his / her full name or at least first name and CSR ID. Then insist to speak with a supervisor and get his / her name or ID. It is also helpful to call during regular business hours and then also ask for the phone number of a supervisor at the service center where you intend to get the device. Get their name / ID and verify they have the item in stock at that service center before getting in your car. The chances are if the policy is indeed no-pickup, then you will find out. If it is, but they still try to give you the bum's rush, the names of the supervisors will help grease the skids. It's still not a guarantee, but it's liable to save you time and frustration.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #550
Diacritical

Quote:
... also get the host for that card and read it to them make should it match as well. if thats fine then you should be good just ask for some Hit or Authorization if the probl still there you may have a bad card.
FWIW -- I just tried again and while the CSR did say that I had the right card ID, he said there was no way to tell what host ID was in their system without sending a truck to my house. That's not true, of course, but it seemed to be where the script ended. He would not even let me read it off to him since a technician would have to be on-site to do that. Seems like a potential waste of everyone's time not to just look up what the settings are and fix them if necessary.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #551
wemcbain

Time Warner Manhattan S3 activation

after 2 yrs of very satisfied s2 useage I am anxiously awaiting my new S3 which should arrive by the end of the week. The new HDTV should arrive in a couple of days.

I now have to arrange an appt. with TW. for the installation of the 2 cable cards. Has anyone have suggestions or comments in dealing Time Warner Manhattan.
wemcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #552
lrhorer

Better than some, worse than some

Well, I have everything working, so I thought I would detail the problems I had, and the ones I avoided. I had a CC installed in my Mitsubishi 8 months ago, and that install was... a bit painful. The CC was even more bleeding edge then, however, and the TWC was dealing with a batch of bad CableCards. We had to try three to get one which worked. After that, there were issues with the account settings, and there has been an ongoing issue with the TV Guide and time setting streams in the VBI when the card is in place. Thank heavens the TiVo won't have any such issues, because its gets it time and guide data out of band (via the internet).

OK, so I called on Thursday (9/28) and despite the nearly endless ARU maneuvering, still got a person on the line who could not help me, and transferred me after my rather long spiel on what was necessary. The next person was the right one, and I carefully explained I would be removing a DVR, removing a set top, transferring the existing CC and adding an additional CC. I had him read back his comments from the ticket and list a detail of the new service. Everything was correct. He informed me the card upgrade would require a truck roll, and told me the firtst available appointment was Saturday 16:00 to 20:00. I wasn't thrilled, but it could have been worse, so I said it would be OK and we hung up.

I installed the TiVo and moved the CableCard over from the Mitsubishi. The card came up, but did not authorize. Thus, all the non-encrypted digital and HD channels were available, but none of the encrypted ones.

On Saturday, I got tied up for a while and wasn't able to call to check on the status until nearly 18:00. I was able to get through fairly quickly, and they said the install was being handled by a contractor. They gave me a number for the contractor, and I called to verify they had (hopefully) two CableCards. The girl called he installer and said he had not picked up any CableCards at all, and the install work order only called for them to remove a trap. I told her she needed to have the installer pick up at least one (preferably two) cards before heading to my house. She said I would have to call TWC to have them contact her to authorize the change in the work order. When I hung up with her, it was 18:02.

I called TWC, and spent almost a full hour trying to get a human being on the line. When I finally did, it was 18:55. The ARU had confirmed ny appointment still showed active for 16:00 to 20:00 the same day, but by the time the human came online, he said the install had been rescheduled. I told him I had not authorized any such thing. After supposedly checking something, he claimed both the erroneous work order and the unauthorized reschedule were the fault of the contractor. I'm skeptical. In any case, I raised Hell (I had been very pleasant with everyone until then), but he insisted it was not possible to get anyone out until Sunday. I would have insisted on speaking to a supervisor, but I decided to leave well enough alone, because there were a couple of shows on the TWC DVR I had decided to transfer to my Series I TiVo, and the extra time would allow me to do this.

In the mean time, I went ahead and called the trouble line, explaining the existing CableCard was no longer in the same TV and needed to be re-authorized with a new Host ID. He didn't object, and within 5 minutes all my channels were available. I has a half happy camper.

Today (Sunday) I called in to check on the status a half hour before the start of the window. She called the person, and he indicated he would be at the house within an hour and a half. This time, they were TWC employees (two of them), one was a tech, the other an installer, and they arrived a few minutes earlier than promised. To be sure, they were both very green, and had only been working for TWC since May. This is to be expected. Trouble and / or install tickets worked after hours or on weekends are much more likely to be handled by rookies. The seasoned veterans have paid their dues and are much less likely to be assigned an after hours or weekend shift. Nonetheless, both had handled CableCard installs, but neither had handled an S3 TiVo. They both were aware S3 TiVos could handle CableCards, however.

We installed the second card, and it was recognized as being inserted, but it did not load properly, as reported by the status screen. I restarted the TiVo, and while the unit was booting, I took the installer into the other room where I had been recording the content off the DVR onto the Series I TiVo. We gathered together the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR and the set top terminal and walked back to the other room to await the TiVo. The card was still not loaded properly. I powered the TiVo off and back on. It still was not loaded. We removed and re-inserted the card, and finally it came up with the ordinary status creens. It would not authorize, however, and when I tried the channel test, it said it had no signal.

At this point the inclination might have been to try a different card, but thank goodness long experience has taught me not to assume anything. I asked them to let me check something before they pulled the card - more to make sure the first card was not being impacted by the second card as one report has had it than anything else, but when I did the signal on the first card was horrible. There was a picture, but it was more snow than picture, and that only on analog channels. This was the case across the board, with the higher frequencies being a bit better than the lower frequencies. I knew instantly what had happened. When the installer went behind the entertainment center to get the DVR and set top, he had accidentally kicked out the power brick which feeds DC to the house amplifier. No wonder the second card wasn't authorizing even after it loaded properly!

In any case, after we plugged the transformer back in, we got the CSR on the phone and had him send another hit to the second CableCard. Within 10 minutes I had the guided setup re-done and was receiving all channels. After that, all I had to do was go back to the To Do list and tell the TiVo it no longer had to clip or not record the conflicting content.

It could have been worse.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #553
optivity

Is anyone using a TiVo® Series3™ HD Digital Media Recorder with Albany Time Warner Cable?
optivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #554
routerman

[quote=lrhorer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pntsoptional
Seriously though, I can’t imagine the S3 will ever be the "mass market" product the S2 is. CC cards are just too finicky and you have to know more about the install process than the techs.
Oh, I disagree entirely. When I worked for the cable company, the most common complaint by far was having to have a set top converter. People just do not want them, and have been screaming for a Cable Card type solution for 30 years. Now, the number of CC televisions is growing rapidly, and I suspect befgore too many more years have passed, all the cable company's set top terminals and DVRs will use cablecard. Cablecard is even more attractive to the CATV company than to the consumer, because it frees them from being locked into a single vendor for their boxes.

SDV will be an issue, no question, but I strongly suspect it won't be a very big one.

There is an excellent chance the 2-way CC modules will not require any upgrades at all on the part of the receiver (in this case, the S3 TiVo) to capture ordinary SDV. Pay-Per-View or Video on Demand and options like StartOver and I-Control might or might not require an upgrade to the receiver (the CC card creates its own menus on the receiver via HTML, so it should not be necessary, even for those services), but the TiVo itself makes most of those options irrelevant. Why bother with VOD, when one can merely select to record the content in the To Do list and watch it at one's convenience? Is the user so anxious he can't wait until a day or so later to watch the program? With TiVo, there's always lots of great stuff to watch in the mean time. IPPV may not be available, but I have no problem waiting a month or two until the program airs on the regular premium channels. The rest of the features are handled better by the TiVo than the set top terminal, anyway.

Will there be an issue? Sure. You will need to arrange to obtain a Series II CableCard. That may mean going through the whole rigamarole of scheduling a visit from an installer, again, but by then CC installs will be much more trailing edge than now, and they may have even waked up to the fact they can save money by having the customer install the service. That's what happened with DOCSIS broadband modems. It's even not entirely unlikely the same thing may happen with CC modules: the consumer may be able to pick one up at Best Buy and tell the CATV company to go fly a kite with their monthly CC fees.

The bottom line? Don't panic.
The CableCARD is only a decryption device. So the Series 2 card is both a decryption device and a QPSK modulator? I need to do some more research. The only 2-way CC TV I have heard about is a Samsung and I believe the upstream transmitter is in the TV itself. I have not seen any documentation on a 2-way card actually having some sort of transmitter in it. Can anyone on this thread post a link to a good location for the 2-way CableCARDs?
routerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #555
Gene S

Quote:
the Cad ID: its no need it. Only Card No: and Host ID

I don't think they will put it reverse. Unless they have that Card ID number you put up there as a Host Number. but how will they get that Card ID number? About putting up a page to verify these number on your account i personally don't think that will be possible. Reasons. It may put the cust account on danger ( Hack) 2nd
if a cust get to change those number it will mess up the acct and last not even us the tech has access to see a customer account info. We have to call the office to verify this info.
The requirements for TWC must be different from market to market. Here in SC, the Card ID and Host ID are the only two things the tech called in. At first he started naming the Card No (PKBB yada, yada, yada..) and the rep on the line said to stop, she didn't need that number. The tech wrote down the card and mac numbers on the work order sheet, but he never passed that info along on the phone while he was here. And I had everything working before he left.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #556
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacritical
FWIW -- I just tried again and while the CSR did say that I had the right card ID, he said there was no way to tell what host ID was in their system without sending a truck to my house. That's not true, of course, but it seemed to be where the script ended. He would not even let me read it off to him since a technician would have to be on-site to do that. Seems like a potential waste of everyone's time not to just look up what the settings are and fix them if necessary.
HAHA wow thats really bad I mean why cant he check whats your host id on the second card? if the tech just going to read it off to him when he come to your house. well you know what prob nah to him but to a person who can really see that info in the office because the problem here is that. this person you spoke to its unable to check that for you. I donno why... but yeah that may be your hole issues
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #557
j2chulo
The Bad Guy (Tech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S
The requirements for TWC must be different from market to market. Here in SC, the Card ID and Host ID are the only two things the tech called in. At first he started naming the Card No (PKBB yada, yada, yada..) and the rep on the line said to stop, she didn't need that number. The tech wrote down the card and mac numbers on the work order sheet, but he never passed that info along on the phone while he was here. And I had everything working before he left.
Oh wow. hmm yeah every system work different thats right. sorry i guest i can't help you on that
Old 10-02-2006, 06:14 AM   #558
hookbill
Feathered Member

j2chulo, I just want to thank you for even showing up here. Shows a lot of guts.

Indeed not all TW systems are the same. Specially with the Adelphia takeover and Comcast merging. Apparently the Comcast people (Now TW) in my area can't get cards, probably because they are moto's and I'm SA so no problem (I hope, install on Wednesday).
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #559
H.I.McDunnough

Contemplating S3 in Austin....

I'm in Austin, and I've just read the 19 pages of this thread so far, and quite frankly, it is pretty disturbing. The huge variations in experiences before, during and after installation make me wonder if this is a good step for me. I have been a Tivo customer since the very first one's were available, and my family loves the interface, and probably would not want to go to the crappy DVR provided by TWC. I'm currently a DirecTV Tivo customer.

I am moving to HD as soon as I can verify it will work in my house, and thought I'd make some upgrades to the rest of my equipment all at once, so an S3 is part of the plan at the moment. While I don't like it, I can deal with the one time hassle of setup. However, if I am going to have to deal with random dropping of channels after the fact, and spending hours on the phone with TWC, or worse yet, having to deal with my family who can't understand why the new system doesn't work, I'm not sure this is really an upgrade over what I have right now.

Anyone in Austin have any recommendations for a good installer? I don't mind waiting for someone who has done this a time or two, and I'm not even sure if I can request a specific installer. Heck, I'd spif the guy an extra $100 if he knew what he was doing and got the job done in a reasonable amount of time.
H.I.McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #560
mentalradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11
I just had my install today. Almost everything is working correctly, but I'm running into a problem with G4.

I get locals and analog. I also get HD. The HD Plus, HBO HD, and Showtime HD packages seem to be working...

I can't seem to get G4, though on chan 117.

I have TWC in Redondo Beach, CA...

Anyone else having this issue?

My install took place on Saturday - and believe it or not - absolutely no problems. FOUR, yes FOUR, TW contracted installers showed up... none of whom knew anything about Tivo. I'm not sure if all of them were there to learn about installing Tivo or what, but they had a lively discussion about me in Spanish about being stupid for spending $800, no brains, etc etc. I walked them through what they needed to do, following the installs instructions from Tivo and from the posts here. Everything worked right the first time - then on their way out I told them in Spanish that they might want to be more careful what they say - some of us gringos know Spanish too...

really wish I had a picture of their expressions...

I want to extend my thanks to all of you posting your tech/install issues here... I think it saved me knowing what to look for and avoid some mistakes - installers (all 4) were in and out in 20 minutes.

Eisenb11 - In response to your post, I'm in LA (Silverlake - between downtown and Hollywood) former Adelphia... for me, all channels including G4, all HD and premium channels are up and running -

and btw - thanks for your advice earlier to check up on CSR's info that I could just pick up the CC at the office before driving over to TW Santa Monica office. That info from the CSR was, of course, not true.... saved me a drive through westside traffic.
mentalradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #561
Bill@LakeGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Is anyone using a TiVo® Series3™ HD Digital Media Recorder with Albany Time Warner Cable?

I live in Bolton Landing and have the S3 up and running fine.
Bill@LakeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #562
allenplu

TW former adelphia install

Mentalradio:

I am hoping very much that my 10/7 retry at install will go through the way yours did.

My prior install had no success. Then I had the manager of the Ontario call center refuse to send another person because he stated Time Warner will not "help our competitors". He guaranteed a call back from the top level manager of the Ontario call center, which never happened. When I called three times again, I was hung up on twice, then finally got the Colorado Springs call center. A supervisor said that he cannot support the Series 3, and insists that it is not compatible. He finally agreed to send a tech next week saying that he's going to charge me for the trip charge whether it works or not. So I'm hoping that everything works this week.

I'm at least hoping that they try harder than they've been trying.
allenplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #563
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenplu
Mentalradio:

I am hoping very much that my 10/7 retry at install will go through the way yours did.

My prior install had no success. Then I had the manager of the Ontario call center refuse to send another person because he stated Time Warner will not "help our competitors". He guaranteed a call back from the top level manager of the Ontario call center, which never happened. When I called three times again, I was hung up on twice, then finally got the Colorado Springs call center. A supervisor said that he cannot support the Series 3, and insists that it is not compatible. He finally agreed to send a tech next week saying that he's going to charge me for the trip charge whether it works or not. So I'm hoping that everything works this week.

I'm at least hoping that they try harder than they've been trying.
Have you involved the Tivo HD team? They offered support for anyone having issues with cablecos not wanting to provide cablecards.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #564
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalradio
My install took place on Saturday - and believe it or not - absolutely no problems. FOUR, yes FOUR, TW contracted installers showed up... none of whom knew anything about Tivo. I'm not sure if all of them were there to learn about installing Tivo or what, but they had a lively discussion about me in Spanish about being stupid for spending $800, no brains, etc etc. I walked them through what they needed to do, following the installs instructions from Tivo and from the posts here. Everything worked right the first time - then on their way out I told them in Spanish that they might want to be more careful what they say - some of us gringos know Spanish too...
They're just jealous!

Quote:
Eisenb11 - In response to your post, I'm in LA (Silverlake - between downtown and Hollywood) former Adelphia... for me, all channels including G4, all HD and premium channels are up and running
Ah nice! I found that the list of channels I don't get also includes all of the HBO and Showtime channels *except* HBO HD and Showtime HD... this is getting weird... I have another installer appt on Friday for them to check it out.

Quote:
and btw - thanks for your advice earlier to check up on CSR's info that I could just pick up the CC at the office before driving over to TW Santa Monica office. That info from the CSR was, of course, not true.... saved me a drive through westside traffic.
Very welcome! I had a CSR pull that on me too and I told them they were wrong and made them call the local office to verify (which proved I was right). The CSRs are national and the CC policies are local to each branch so I don't blaim them for being confused... it *is* confusing!
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #565
optivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@LakeGeorge
I live in Bolton Landing and have the S3 up and running fine.
Thanks for your response. I called Time Warner yesterday and got the usual run around where they will not guarantee reliable service for the S3 w/CableCARDs. I don't see what all the fuss is about given my PDP has been installed w/CableCARD for 16 months without problem. So are there any copy protection restrictions that you are aware of? Can you time-shift record programs and save them as long as you want to?
optivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #566
Franco
2 x Series3!

Update for my install (Dallas area). Since one of the cable cards didn't work from Saturday's install, the tech came out again this afternoon to try a different card. Unfortunately, this card doesn't seem to be working either. They tried to "hit" the card twice, but I was unable to test the channels at any time. The card the tech brought today was a Motorola with a firmware revision of 4.05; the same revision as the one that didn't work on Saturday. The tech told his manager to have someone specifically check the revision of the card before he picks another one up, though I highly doubt anyone will do so because they'd have to plug the card into a TV (or a Series3 ) just to check the firmware level.

At least one card is still working (anyone watching those Discovery: Atlas specials? They look awesome!). The saga continues...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #567
eisenb11

Interesting. A CSR last night told me I was having problems because the firmware on my cards is old.

Why can't they just update the firmware over the network?

They said a tech has to come to my place on Fri to handle this...
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #568
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemcbain
after 2 yrs of very satisfied s2 useage I am anxiously awaiting my new S3 which should arrive by the end of the week. The new HDTV should arrive in a couple of days.

I now have to arrange an appt. with TW. for the installation of the 2 cable cards. Has anyone have suggestions or comments in dealing Time Warner Manhattan.
Schedule the appointment RIGHT NOW. I called sept 26 and they couldn't fit me in before oct 5. I've been calling every single day seeing if any spots opened up, but no luck. So my s3 is sitting there recording SDTV cooking shows from PBS. The only HD I've watched so far is shannon. Makes me a sad, sad panda.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #569
danator

Quote:
Update for my install (Dallas area). Since one of the cable cards didn't work from Saturday's install, the tech came out again this afternoon to try a different card. Unfortunately, this card doesn't seem to be working either. They tried to "hit" the card twice, but I was unable to test the channels at any time. The card the tech brought today was a Motorola with a firmware revision of 4.05; the same revision as the one that didn't work on Saturday. The tech told his manager to have someone specifically check the revision of the card before he picks another one up, though I highly doubt anyone will do so because they'd have to plug the card into a TV (or a Series3 ) just to check the firmware level.
In Dallas as well, Farmers Branch, so we probably have the same tech.

Anyway, both mine are 4.05, motorola. Worked, 4.15 didn't work.

So he only tested twice and walked away? You gonna need to push them harder than that, We tried more than 10 times with different slots and swapping cards and finally get it to work. I would called and ask tech nicely to bring more than 1 card next time.
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #570
Franco
2 x Series3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
In Dallas as well, Farmers Branch, so we probably have the same tech.

Anyway, both mine are 4.05, motorola. Worked, 4.15 didn't work.

So he only tested twice and walked away? You gonna need to push them harder than that, We tried more than 10 times with different slots and swapping cards and finally get it to work. I would called and ask tech nicely to bring more than 1 card next time.
They tried to send a hit to the card twice, but nothing happened. At least with the first 4.05 rev card on Saturday, the TiVo started trying to acquire the channels. With this card today, I get nothing after waiting for a 1/2-hour after each hit. It just doesn't look like the hit is coming through. I'm not sure what else I could do with the tech there.

If I called TWC support and tried to talk to a technician, would they even try to troubleshoot with me?