TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #5641
skelm
mooo
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 38
Thanks - this number should be stickied at the top. Will save a bunch of unneeded truck rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
@CableGuy: Per this post, providers are now required to support self-installs, and the thread linked from that post lists a Time Warner CableCARD Technical Support Desk: 1-866-606-5889

Do you know if the folks at that number are able and authorized to send the necessary reauthorization hits after a reinstall? It would certainly cut down on the number of times we have to reach out to you for help.

skelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #5642
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
Hi everyone, I'm a seasoned TiVo user but brand new to TWC and could use some guidance. We just moved from Florida to Honolulu and are having trouble getting one of our two Tivos installed by Time Warner. We've never used the tuning adapters before, so I'm not sure how to diagnose our problem.

We have a Series 3 TiVo that's working great, no problems at all. Our Premiere box, though, is receiving only the standard channels. The guide info for the correct channels is there, but either the channel itself shows a message saying "channel not received, contact your cable company, or decode your cablecard" or it shows another channel's stream on the channel.

The first installer didn't stay until everything was rebooted and guided setup was completed, so I spent a couple of hours on the hone later that night having signals resent and rebooting my TiVo to no avail. They sent a second tech out today who eliminated any chance that the problem was in the cable line, switched the TA and the cable card, but didn't fix the problem.

He left and said they'd call tomorrow to set up another truck roll with a more senior tech.

We obviously are getting a signal, and the TiVo itself seems to be working just fine. Is there anything I can do myself to diagnose and fix the problem or am I at the mercy of waiting again for the cable guy? Thanks!
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #5643
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
We have a Series 3 TiVo that's working great, no problems at all. Our Premiere box, though, is receiving only the standard channels. The guide info for the correct channels is there, but either the channel itself shows a message saying "channel not received, contact your cable company, or decode your cablecard" or it shows another channel's stream on the channel.

Is there anything I can do myself to diagnose and fix the problem or am I at the mercy of waiting again for the cable guy? Thanks!
You indicate that one TiVo works fine, in its current location.
You could swap the problem TiVo to that location, including tuning adapter.
If the TiVo works. The problem is not the TiVo, cable card or tuning adapter.

Look at post 5633 above. I suspect a faulty RG6 cable or termination.
At that point you are at the mercy of Time Warner service guy.
Have them test the signal strength.

While you're here, the S3 could experience a problem with guide data running out, if its been upgraded or has an external drive.

To avoid that problem check the system information section of TiVo. Look for the GC (garbage collection) line.
Make sure the date to the right of the page is updating at least every 3rd day.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #5644
scole250
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a seasoned TiVo user but brand new to TWC and could use some guidance. We just moved from Florida to Honolulu and are having trouble getting one of our two Tivos installed by Time Warner. We've never used the tuning adapters before, so I'm not sure how to diagnose our problem.

We have a Series 3 TiVo that's working great, no problems at all. Our Premiere box, though, is receiving only the standard channels. The guide info for the correct channels is there, but either the channel itself shows a message saying "channel not received, contact your cable company, or decode your cablecard" or it shows another channel's stream on the channel.

The first installer didn't stay until everything was rebooted and guided setup was completed, so I spent a couple of hours on the hone later that night having signals resent and rebooting my TiVo to no avail. They sent a second tech out today who eliminated any chance that the problem was in the cable line, switched the TA and the cable card, but didn't fix the problem.

He left and said they'd call tomorrow to set up another truck roll with a more senior tech.

We obviously are getting a signal, and the TiVo itself seems to be working just fine. Is there anything I can do myself to diagnose and fix the problem or am I at the mercy of waiting again for the cable guy? Thanks!
Not sure, but verify TWC has the correct channel packages attached to the CC(s). I made some changes recently and a couple new CCs did not have the full digital lineup setup, "Digital Tier" I think. Was handled via phone call.
__________________
3 Premieres w/2TB each
Media server

Last edited by scole250 : 09-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #5645
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
You indicate that one TiVo works fine, in its current location.
You could swap the problem TiVo to that location, including tuning adapter.
If the TiVo works. The problem is not the TiVo, cable card or tuning adapter.

Look at post 5633 above. I suspect a faulty RG6 cable or termination.
At that point you are at the mercy of Time Warner service guy.
Have them test the signal strength.

While you're here, the S3 could experience a problem with guide data running out, if its been upgraded or has an external drive.

To avoid that problem check the system information section of TiVo. Look for the GC (garbage collection) line.
Make sure the date to the right of the page is updating at least every 3rd day.
The tech ran a long cable from the working outlet to the non-working outlet, and vice versa, in order check the outlet and cable line. The working TiVo still worked even when cabled via the other outlet, and the non-working TiVo still didn't work even when cabled via the working outlet. So I am pretty confident the problem is in the TA/Cablecard setup. My husband said they even switched the tuning adapters and were able to narrow down the problem to the cablecard.

What is the purpose of a tuning adapter in general in the TiVo setup?

We haven't modded our S3 at all, and haven't experienced any problems yet *fingers crossed*.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #5646
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
........What is the purpose of a tuning adapter in general in the TiVo setup?
........
Simple answer is: it's mandatory in order to receive all the channels you pay for on cable systems that use Switched Digital Video (SDV). More systems are going to SDV all the time. For a more detailed explanation see this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
You can usually find out if your system uses SDV fairly easily. Determining which channels are delievered via SDV can be much harder, presumably since Tuning Adapter users (e.g., TiVo and tuner cards) are the only people who ever ask this question. Cable co furnished equipment has the TA functionality integrated into it. Once you can successfully tune a channel, you can determine whether it's SDV using the Tuning Adapter diagnostics screens. Doing that for all your channels would be VERY tedious however.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #5647
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
What is the purpose of a tuning adapter in general in the TiVo setup?
An evil perpetrated upon TiVo users because the cable co does not want to spend the $$$$ to install appropriate infrastructure.
Think SDV as a way to pack 12 lbs of $&!T in a 10 lb bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
We haven't modded our S3 at all, and haven't experienced any problems yet *fingers crossed*.
Then you should not experience the problem.
If you do start seeing a warning about guide data running out.
See this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472857
Or send a pm.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #5648
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
We have a supervisor coming out tomorrow. He called today and told my husband he suspected there were underground problems in the area. My husband suggested he come out with a bunch of cablecards anyway and try subbing them out. I find it very unlikely that there's any underground problem affecting only the tuning adaptor and Cablecard. I'll update after he arrives tomorrow.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #5649
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
We have a supervisor coming out tomorrow. He called today and told my husband he suspected there were underground problems in the area. My husband suggested he come out with a bunch of cablecards anyway and try subbing them out. I find it very unlikely that there's any underground problem affecting only the tuning adaptor and Cablecard. I'll update after he arrives tomorrow.
It's RARELY a hardware problems of any kind. Most likely their setup is screwed up in their computers.

Probably a 30 sec fix somewhere.

They're morons.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #5650
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
So, there's a tech guy here now that seems much more familiar with Tivos. He tried unplugging the USB cable while rebooting the TiVo and that magically restored our premium channels. He said that unplugging the USB allowed the TiVo to talk back to the tuning adaptor and restore communication.

We were amazed, and said thanks and walked him to the door. Then I went back and tested more channels, only to see that they still didn't come in! Still, my BBCHD channel said channel not available. So I ran outside and chased down his van before he pulled out.

Now he's back and testing some more stuff, I hope we can get this taken care of!
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #5651
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
So, there's a tech guy here now that seems much more familiar with Tivos. He tried unplugging the USB cable while rebooting the TiVo and that magically restored our premium channels. He said that unplugging the USB allowed the TiVo to talk back to the tuning adaptor and restore communication.

We were amazed, and said thanks and walked him to the door. Then I went back and tested more channels, only to see that they still didn't come in! Still, my BBCHD channel said channel not available. So I ran outside and chased down his van before he pulled out.

Now he's back and testing some more stuff, I hope we can get this taken care of!
Sounds like your account is misconfigured. Have him call to the office and have them 'balance' the account and send a hit.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #5652
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
After switching out cablecards, tuning adapters, and USB cords (just in case, you never know), we once again switched just the TiVo box and concluded the problem was in the TiVo box. The working TiVo still works in the other location with the other TA and Cablecard, and the Premiere box doesn't work even in the once-working location with the once-working TA and Cablecard.

I went to call TiVo support and they had already closed, I'll have to call first thing in the morning tomorrow. The box really does seem to be working except that it doesn't want to show me all my channels. It's not a problem I've ever had before that was truly a problem with the TiVo box, so I'm a bit skeptical. However, I'm ready to have tv again, and willing to do whatever it takes to get it.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #5653
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,999
It's RARELY the TiVo's problem or a hardware problem. Most always it's a problem with setup on TWC's end.

I'd put money on the fact that another TiVo is going to have the same problem.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #5654
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!
 
Welshdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 273
Premiere in Austin TX on TWC

So I am considering adding a Tivo to my collection. I currently have a Series 3 and an HD. I'm in Austin on TWC and have some reservations about going digital. We currently have analog only and use OTA for HD. I have been reluctant to try digital cable because of all the CC and TA problems I read about here and elsewhere in Tivocommunity.

I'd like to get an XL 4, but that would be a huge investment to make if the CC doesn't want to work or is trouble prone. I have a cable drop that splits outside and sends a line to the cable modem and one to an amplifier (old Channel Master 3044.) The amplifier splits to various rooms including the living room where all the AV equipment and Tivos live. There, the signal hits a passive splitter to feed the Tivos. I could probably simplify this if needed, by running some new cables to create a more direct path. Also after doing a little research I see that my amplifier probably doesn't pass digital cable co specs so I will need to replace it. Probably with a Electroline EDA-UG2402 zero gain splitter/amp.

I have read in the past that Austin TWC is better than most at helping Tivo owners. Any advice from Austin TWC users (or anyone) would be appreciated.
__________________
"Nobody looks good in high-def" - Doug Wilson-Weeds
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #5655
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
So I am considering adding a Tivo to my collection. I currently have a Series 3 and an HD. I'm in Austin on TWC and have some reservations about going digital. We currently have analog only and use OTA for HD. I have been reluctant to try digital cable because of all the CC and TA problems I read about here and elsewhere in Tivocommunity.

I'd like to get an XL 4, but that would be a huge investment to make if the CC doesn't want to work or is trouble prone. I have a cable drop that splits outside and sends a line to the cable modem and one to an amplifier (old Channel Master 3044.) The amplifier splits to various rooms including the living room where all the AV equipment and Tivos live. There, the signal hits a passive splitter to feed the Tivos. I could probably simplify this if needed, by running some new cables to create a more direct path. Also after doing a little research I see that my amplifier probably doesn't pass digital cable co specs so I will need to replace it. Probably with a Electroline EDA-UG2402 zero gain splitter/amp.

I have read in the past that Austin TWC is better than most at helping Tivo owners. Any advice from Austin TWC users (or anyone) would be appreciated.
Hopefully you will get a good response from Austin TWC users to really answer your question, but one thought occurs to me. You could try upgrading to digital cable and getting CC (and tuning adapter?) for your HD and/or S3 as a test. You would have to upgrade to the Electroline and you might want to upgrade your passive splitter if you're not sure it's top quality. However the expense of these upgrades is minor compared to the XL 4, and you can cancel the digital cable upgrade if things don't work out. The Electroline upgrade would be a good thing anyway, even if you don't keep digital cable.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5656
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
I have read in the past that Austin TWC is better than most at helping Tivo owners. Any advice from Austin TWC users (or anyone) would be appreciated.
I suggest you look at this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=481894 ; take away from "gteague's experience as worst case... Note: gteague has not posted to this thread since 07-07-2012.
Don't know if all is well with his system or he gave up...

Because of posts like gteague, and others, I've been on the fence, for a year, regarding purchase of a Premier XL4, too, for reasons found in the Premier forum. Most of which have become quiet over the summer.

I have a S3-OLED with 2tb DVR_Dude upgrade drive, cable card (from new) and Tuning Adapter (installed June2011) that works.
Not perfect, but is mostly acceptable.
Cable service from Time Warner, is what it is, mostly good but some SDV channels pixelate, or tile on some shows.
Your mileage will vary, I'm sure.

As stated in the post above, get cable card(s) and T/A install on one of the the existing TiVos and see how it goes.

Not related: big fan of black & tan terriers.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #5657
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!
 
Welshdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 273
Teeps and dlfl: thanks - I think I will do just what you said. Upgrade my infrastructure and try out digital cable with the existing Tivo hardware and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Not related: big fan of black & tan terriers.
Once you try black (and tan), you can't go back!
__________________
"Nobody looks good in high-def" - Doug Wilson-Weeds
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #5658
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Skagit County, WA
Posts: 558
Patrick Stewart's battle with Time Warner:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...saps-live.html
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #5659
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Patrick Stewart's battle with Time Warner:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...saps-live.html
Sure hope the Federation doesn't try to distribute Tuning Adapters, CableCARD or cable co service to the rest of the universe! That would surely result in a mass attack on Earth!
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5660
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
Teeps and dlfl: thanks - I think I will do just what you said. Upgrade my infrastructure and try out digital cable with the existing Tivo hardware and see how it goes.
Well I stepped off the curb and bought a Premier XL4 the other day.
And, got TiVo to sell me a life time service on my S3 for $99.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #5661
whitepelican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Help. I'm having some severe pixellation problems on a few channels that have just popped up on my two S3 OLEDs. I have TWC in Northeast Wisconsin with two M-cablecards and a Cisco TA on each S3. I've been running this setup for over a year now with very few problems.

The gist of the issue is this: I have at least 3 HD channels that have the picture breaking up quite badly. Unfortunately, one of them is ESPN which I watch frequently. The same 3 channels are effected on both Tivos, and I've verified that the channels are non-SDV. They also all share the same frequency - 525MHz. The DVR Diagnostics screen shows that these channels only have a Signal strength of about 55, whereas all other channels are between 90-100. This pixellation issue exists on both tuners and both Cablecards, and also still happens even when I remove one of the cablecards.

For troubleshooting, I have removed the TA and all splitters/amplifiers and connected one of the Tivos directly to the incoming cable feed, and the issue persisted. I also tried it with just the amplifier and oddly enough the signal strength on those channels was exactly the same whether the amplifier was in line or not. I know the amp is working, though, because the signal levels on all of my other channels drops when I remove the amp. So, can anyone tell me why this problem only effects the 525MHz frequency, and why the amp seems to have no effect on that frequency?

For some further info - this issue just popped up this week after a TWC tech was here to swap out one of their crappy SA8300 DVRs with a new one. I believe the guy might have monkeyed with my wiring (for no reason whatsoever) where my amp and distribution splitters are. But I can't seem to "un-monkey" it no matter what I do with those splitters and amp. I believe he even went so far as to cut off the connectors and re-terminate some new ones on some of my cables. Is it possible for a bad cable connection to affect just this one frequency? What am I missing here? What else can I check?

I have a TWC tech scheduled to come back this weekend, and I'd like to be able to suggest a solution for him before he further screws things up.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #5662
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
Help. I'm having some severe pixellation problems on a few channels that have just popped up on my two S3 OLEDs.
Same here on: USA HD, Food HD, NatGeo HD, Discovery HD; but in my case no hardware changes in my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
I have a TWC tech scheduled to come back this weekend, and I'd like to be able to suggest a solution for him before he further screws things up.
I would call his/her attention to the signal strength discrepancy first thing.

Also, shortly after insertion of tuning adapter (last year) I started seeing the same problem with pixelization or tiling of many channels.
That was a problem with the home run cable from the pole to my house; a rodent chewed the cable.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #5663
OneAn9ryN00b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
timewarnercable.com/Corporate/learn/programming/sports/nfl_redzone.html yay NFL Network finally coming to TWC....but if you notice the (*) at the end, and the small print at the bottom "Some services are not available to CableCARD customers." Quick question....is that legal per FCC rules.

I have noticed my cablecard updated last night with the new channels....but I don't think my Tuning Adapter has updated, because there not showing up in my guide.

(I know this is a Tivo forum. And i have a Ceton, but this issues/FCC rules are the same as far as CablCARDs and Tuning Adapters go.)
OneAn9ryN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #5664
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAn9ryN00b View Post
timewarnercable.com/Corporate/learn/programming/sports/nfl_redzone.html yay NFL Network finally coming to TWC....but if you notice the (*) at the end, and the small print at the bottom "Some services are not available to CableCARD customers." Quick question....is that legal per FCC rules.

I have noticed my cablecard updated last night with the new channels....but I don't think my Tuning Adapter has updated, because there not showing up in my guide.

(I know this is a Tivo forum. And i have a Ceton, but this issues/FCC rules are the same as far as CablCARDs and Tuning Adapters go.)
You might want to check here for the answer to your concerns.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1336614/la...-4-info-thread

Far as I know, no "on demand" or "PPV" features function with cable cards.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #5665
samsauce29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAn9ryN00b View Post
timewarnercable.com/Corporate/learn/programming/sports/nfl_redzone.html yay NFL Network finally coming to TWC....but if you notice the (*) at the end, and the small print at the bottom "Some services are not available to CableCARD customers." Quick question....is that legal per FCC rules.

I have noticed my cablecard updated last night with the new channels....but I don't think my Tuning Adapter has updated, because there not showing up in my guide.

(I know this is a Tivo forum. And i have a Ceton, but this issues/FCC rules are the same as far as CablCARDs and Tuning Adapters go.)
After reading this post I checked and all is well in NW PA. NFL Network on 1346 and tuning fine via cable card and TA. I can't check Red Zone on 1347 since I don't have the Sports Tier.

I wouldn't expect guide data for a week or two due to the suddenness of the change.
samsauce29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #5666
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
After switching out cablecards, tuning adapters, and USB cords (just in case, you never know), we once again switched just the TiVo box and concluded the problem was in the TiVo box. The working TiVo still works in the other location with the other TA and Cablecard, and the Premiere box doesn't work even in the once-working location with the once-working TA and Cablecard.

I went to call TiVo support and they had already closed, I'll have to call first thing in the morning tomorrow. The box really does seem to be working except that it doesn't want to show me all my channels. It's not a problem I've ever had before that was truly a problem with the TiVo box, so I'm a bit skeptical. However, I'm ready to have tv again, and willing to do whatever it takes to get it.
Updating our still non-working situation:

I spoke with Tivo and they had me check a few screens on the TA diagnostics and agreed everything seemed to be working. They mailed out a new box to me and I received it yesterday. I set it up and found we still had the same problem: non-SDV non-HD and non-Premium channels show on some channels, but most channels do not display, and I get a Cablecard error message.

I called Oceanic TWC and after another attempt to pair (they refer to it as binding) the CC, they scheduled another technician for next Saturday. This morning, I called Tivo to get their advice. They had me go through several TA Diagnostic screens and also some CC diag screens. They noticed that while the TA seemed to be working fine, the CC showed as "Waiting for Authorization", i.e., it wasn't paired. I hate how TWC knows nothing about all the different diagnostics screens on the Tivo. It seems there is so much information right there in front of them and they just have no idea how to interpret it. Grrr.

So anyway, I called back TWC, hoping to be able to get this fixed over the phone and not have to waste another week, and my Saturday, waiting for a technician who would ultimately fix my problem with a phone call. After a 55-minute hold, I finally got through to a Level 1 Customer Support Rep.

The rep tried again to pair my card, but with no luck. He insisted there was no way to tweak the pairing signal, and nothing could be done except through an on-site technician. This is so incredibly frustrating. I KNOW the problem is in the office, and yet this will be my fourth service call, and we've now been in our home for a full month without the cable working properly.

I hope the next technician is prepared to keep trying cablecard pairing techniques until we find one that works. If anyone has any tips on how to get that signal to work, I'd love to be able to give them some direction. Thanks for all the support so far.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #5667
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
Updating our still non-working situation:

They noticed that while the TA seemed to be working fine, the CC showed as "Waiting for Authorization", i.e., it wasn't paired.
The sentence above sounded familiar to me.
I had trouble pairing the cards; but it was a HDD upgrade, to my S3-OLED TiVo.

Time Warner's solution:
a) Disconnect the Tuning Adapter from TiVo; Both, RG6 and USB cables.
b) Connect the TW cable in directly to TiVo.
c) send the pairing signal
d) Viola! Authorization completed...
e) reconnect Tuning Adapter, Enjoy...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #5668
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
The sentence above sounded familiar to me.
I had trouble pairing the cards; but it was a HDD upgrade, to my S3-OLED TiVo.

Time Warner's solution:
a) Disconnect the Tuning Adapter from TiVo; Both, RG6 and USB cables.
b) Connect the TW cable in directly to TiVo.
c) send the pairing signal
d) Viola! Authorization completed...
e) reconnect Tuning Adapter, Enjoy...
Bizarre! But easy to do so definitely worth a try. If that works it suggests the TA isn't properly passing out-of-band (OOB) signals (FDC and/or RDC channels) between the TiVo and the cable plant. Or the coax cable between the TA and TiVo is defective. Or the OOB signal levels are marginal and just removing the TA from the path makes the difference. In either case I would expect operational problems even after the cableCARD is paired.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #5669
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
The sentence above sounded familiar to me.
I had trouble pairing the cards; but it was a HDD upgrade, to my S3-OLED TiVo.

Time Warner's solution:
a) Disconnect the Tuning Adapter from TiVo; Both, RG6 and USB cables.
b) Connect the TW cable in directly to TiVo.
c) send the pairing signal
d) Viola! Authorization completed...
e) reconnect Tuning Adapter, Enjoy...
That sounds amazing! I'm going to be trying that today, and if it works ill be sending some happy aloha your way, Teeps!
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #5670
whitepelican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Also, shortly after insertion of tuning adapter (last year) I started seeing the same problem with pixelization or tiling of many channels.
That was a problem with the home run cable from the pole to my house; a rodent chewed the cable.
Wow. You nailed that problem for me. I couldn't believe it was the incoming cable line since I only had the tiling problems on one frequency. But sure enough, the TW tech checked the signals out at the street and on the outside of my home and ended up running a new line from the street. Now the channels that were breaking up and showing 50-60% signal strength are all in the 90s. Apparently, I've had this problem for over a year now, but they move the channels around to different frequencies occasionally so I had never noticed it on a channel I actually watched.

To the credit of the tech, as soon as I mentioned it was only one frequency that was an issue he asked "is it 550MHz?". When I told him he was correct, he said that that one is usually the problem as it is the "{something or another} frequency". I wish I remember what the term he used was.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |