TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #5611
clatrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
I'm getting the NBC Olympics 3D channel from TWC in the Dayton, OH area and it works fine on my Tivo Premiere Elite with an M card. I don't know of any other 3D channels that work, though.
I'm staggered by this. I spent hours with various techs trying to get that channel authorized, and even the guy at the cablecard office said it could not work with my Tivo Premiere.
clatrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #5612
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatrell View Post
I'm staggered by this. I spent hours with various techs trying to get that channel authorized, and even the guy at the cablecard office said it could not work with my Tivo Premiere.
You must be new to TWC service. I repeat what I said a few posts back:
To paraphrase Claude Rains' character in "Casablanca": A TWC CSR gave you bad infomation? I'm SHOCKED!

I went through the "staggered" phase years ago -- I'm at the "resigned" phase now (i.e., having a definite cord-cutting contingency plan in place) .

Note I also am on TWC SW OH. I don't take it personally. TiVo support is a PITA to them, forced on them by the FCC, and has a negative impact on their bottom line. If more than 1% of their subscribers used TiVo's it might be a different story.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #5613
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You're probably right, although I see that the OOB freqs used by my TA are 104 MHz for FDC and 19 MHz for RDC.

I read somewhere that some splitters that work fine in the downstream direction have too much attenuation going the other way (i.e., for the RDC signal). If an amplifier is being used, the same kind of issues would apply, I would think.
I had problems with tuning adapter and I suggest a truck roll to have TWC check the signal strength coming into your apartment and from TA to Tivo.
I have had issues in my condo where coax underground had water damage which was rerun free and also the coax cables that ship with the tuning adapters are cheap and pick up interference on some of the same frequency as the digital signals. TWC replaced those.
Of course splitters weaken signal and some amplifiers do a poor job and actually amplify the noise. TWC replaced my store bought amplifier with one from TWC at no charge.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #5614
clatrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You must be new to TWC service. I repeat what I said a few posts back:
To paraphrase Claude Rains' character in "Casablanca": A TWC CSR gave you bad infomation? I'm SHOCKED!

I went through the "staggered" phase years ago -- I'm at the "resigned" phase now (i.e., having a definite cord-cutting contingency plan in place) .

Note I also am on TWC SW OH. I don't take it personally. TiVo support is a PITA to them, forced on them by the FCC, and has a negative impact on their bottom line. If more than 1% of their subscribers used TiVo's it might be a different story.
Well, resigned yes. I remain constantly surprised however at the new approaches to screwing customers, particularly Tivo customers. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I brought home a TW stb yesterday. The interface is as terrible as I remember it being five years ago, and naturally they couldn't even authorize those 3d channels without sending a tech. It's going back.
clatrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #5615
a17z

Anybody have any issues with TWC (SoCal) today? My Tivo HD was working fine last night and then this morning I had no picture. I tried resetting, double check connections..nothing. I contacted TWC and they tried sending a new signal but that didn't work. They sent someone over immediately and they said that they updated something on their end last night (something with their network). He tried everything to get it going but couldn't. Swapped out my single-stream cable cards for a multi-stream too. He's going to his office to tomorrow research it more. Anyone else have this problem?
a17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #5616
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17z View Post
Anybody have any issues with TWC (SoCal) today? My Tivo HD was working fine last night and then this morning I had no picture. I tried resetting, double check connections..nothing. I contacted TWC and they tried sending a new signal but that didn't work. They sent someone over immediately and they said that they updated something on their end last night (something with their network). He tried everything to get it going but couldn't. Swapped out my single-stream cable cards for a multi-stream too. He's going to his office to tomorrow research it more. Anyone else have this problem?
Yes!
Yes I have and it continues this morning.

An observation:
I am getting some HD channels in the 400 range. But not the locals 402, 404, 405, etc.

Please include city and state in your profile
SoCal is too broad; where in SoCal are you located?

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #5617
Teeps

As of 1200 hours today the problem in Torrance is resolved.

I also requested that Time Warner credit my account for 2 days outage.

Last edited by Teeps : 08-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #5618
a17z

Me too. The tech came out to do some work this afternoon and he discovered it was already up and running. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
As of 1200 hours today the problem in Torrance is resolved.

a17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #5619
spankdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17z View Post
I am having this problem now. Socal TW customer in the city of Orange. Woke up this morning to no picture and just a gay screen on both drives. When I change channels it just says channell unavailable. Channel up down, manual enter, hd, sd and nothing. rebooted several times, unplugged TA, and nothing. During this time the system was set to update and the update finished and was successful but again no picture. I rebooted again as I walked out the door for work so I am hoping for a miracle when I get home.
spankdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #5620
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdog View Post
....... Woke up this morning to no picture and just a gay screen....
LOL. Is that similar to a gray screen -- or does this define some other kind of image? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #5621
Grimm1

I'm a TWC customer in OC too and the same thing happened to me today. Tried all the things you mentioned with no success. Weird thing is if I go to some really high number channels like 1502 I get channel 2 and 1505 I get channel 5 but there is no guide data. I just forced a guide data update about a half hour ago and it is taking a long time to process. I'm hoping it's because it is fixing what ever it screwed up during last nights update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdog View Post
I am having this problem now. Socal TW customer in the city of Orange. Woke up this morning to no picture and just a gay screen on both drives. When I change channels it just says channell unavailable. Channel up down, manual enter, hd, sd and nothing. rebooted several times, unplugged TA, and nothing. During this time the system was set to update and the update finished and was successful but again no picture. I rebooted again as I walked out the door for work so I am hoping for a miracle when I get home.

Grimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #5622
Teeps

Grimm1, spankdog,
Call Time Warner and let them know you are having problems.
If you are seeing a message of channel not available at this time; it's not TiVo.

An alternative to calling is a chat session.
I did that the other day and the agent quickly admitted that TW had a problem and they were working on it... end of session.

Also, insist that Time Warner credit your account for the outage. They will do that if you ask.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #5623
kellykhori

Having trouble this past week with my series3 HD. i've had perfect reception till this recent bout. Now i've got pixelation and screen blanking issues. I'm calling TWC tomorrow. I'm in Holtville/Imperial Valley area, California. Tried antenna attenuators but no luck.
kellykhori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #5624
kenjidm

teeps. - are u still getting all ur stations? I am also in Torrance and am only getting 402,404,405,407,409,411 and 413... No other stations

Twc came out friday swapped out my tuner and cable card said it would work within 24 hrs but nothing... Am pissed and they can't come out till Saturday..

Don't know what's wrong
kenjidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #5625
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjidm View Post
teeps. - are u still getting all ur stations? I am also in Torrance and am only getting 402,404,405,407,409,411 and 413... No other stations

Twc came out friday swapped out my tuner and cable card said it would work within 24 hrs but nothing... Am pissed and they can't come out till Saturday..

Don't know what's wrong
As of 0740 hrs this morning, yes.
I don't know why it would require a truck roll.

Definitely, call or chat Time Warner support TODAY. Describe the problem, request affirmation that "they" understand what you have said.

Insist that they credit your account for the days you have had no service.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #5626
tiv0noob

Hi, new here, hope this is the right place to ask.

Longtime TimeWarner customer looking to leave the vintage SA 8300 DVRs behind for Tivo in the near future. Called TWC today to order a cablecard. Consistent with what I see in the recent pages of this thread, I guess I'll need a tuning adapter to access HD channels--all good so far.

However, two different reps told me there will be an $8/mo charge for the TA, in addition to the cablecard, if I ditch my TWC DVR for Tivo. I was under the impression they couldn't charge cablecard users for any additional converters.

Can any experienced TWC-Tivo users confirm that there are/are not fees in addition to the Cablecard rental to get the full channel lineup on a Tivo? I've had enough past experience with TWC cust svc to wonder if they were correct.

Thanks--off to scan more of this thread.

Last edited by tiv0noob : 08-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
tiv0noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #5627
scole250

I have TWC in Raleigh-Durham, NC . I'm charged $2/month for each cable card with no other charge for tuning adapters.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #5628
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0noob View Post

Can any experienced TWC-Tivo users confirm that there are/are not fees in addition to the Cablecard rental to get the full channel lineup on a Tivo? I've had enough past experience with TWC cust svc to wonder if they were correct.

Thanks--off to scan more of this thread.
Time Warner in Torrance,CA does not charge for tuning adapters.

Please include city and state in your profile.
It can be a great help with some troubleshooting.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #5629
59er
TiVotee

TWC NYC user here. I have a cable card for which I pay $2 or so (plus an add'l charge of about $4 for the TiVo being my second box, in addition to a plain HD cable box). No charge for my TA.

I don't think the extra DTV charge for a second box is fair, but I negotiated a really amazing promo deal to compensate.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #5630
tiv0noob

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I actually stopped into the local Best Buy while I was out and about to ask the guys about Tivo and local TWC... and was told the $8 monthly fee for the tuning adapter was standard procedure.

Now I get home, and see you guys are getting the adapters with no additional fees aside from the $2 Cablecard rental.

Seems odd that it would be a locally-set policy, but I'll ask around a little more. I just want to know exactly what kind of rates I'm looking at before investing hundreds of $ in hardware and lifetime sub fees.

eta: well, I just found something relevant on the TimeWarner website. Their SDV page says the tuning adapter is free for select devices (which appears to be any device, the list seems to vary across the TWC site), along with a link to order your free TA. I filled out the form, apparently they contact you, but ostensibly there is no charge. Obviously this hasn't been an issue for many of you, but I'm sharing it here in case anyone else is in my situation and being told there is a fee, or maybe already paying a fee (sorry for the modified link, the posting system is restricting me as a noob--just copy/paste)
timewarnercable.com/Midwest/learn/cable/sdv/default.html
I assumed the Best Buy guys knew what they were talking about, given that they also sell Time Warner (and U-Verse, in addition to satellite) installations. I guess TWC must be successfully billing a lot of folks unnecessarily.

Last edited by tiv0noob : 08-29-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #5631
whitepelican

Quote:
[snip]I assumed the Best Buy guys knew what they were talking about[/snip]
That's always a mistake. And I wouldn't assume the first 3 or 4 people you talk to from TWC would know anything either.

My experience with getting tuning adapters was something like several hours on the phone getting transferred around, then finally getting a hold of the right person to speak to about it. They then took my information and I had to wait about 7-10 days for the tuning adapters to show up in the mail. Which meant that they weren't going to arrive in time for the scheduled installation. Which meant re-scheduling the next available installation time for a couple of weeks later. All told, it probably took about a month. So plan ahead if you're going to do this.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #5632
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
That's always a mistake. And I wouldn't assume the first 3 or 4 people you talk to from TWC would know anything either.

My experience with getting tuning adapters was something like several hours on the phone getting transferred around, then finally getting a hold of the right person to speak to about it. They then took my information and I had to wait about 7-10 days for the tuning adapters to show up in the mail. Which meant that they weren't going to arrive in time for the scheduled installation. Which meant re-scheduling the next available installation time for a couple of weeks later. All told, it probably took about a month. So plan ahead if you're going to do this.
If you have a local Time Warner store the process is much simpler if you are an existing customer. At least it was for me when I added a new Tivo Elite to my Tivo arsenal.

I went down to the store and walked up to the counter and asked for a tuning adapter and a multi-stream cable card and was in and out in about 10 minutes. No charge for the tuning adapter and the standard charge for the additional cable card.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #5633
Teeps

Quote:
Good advice

My experience obtaining tuning adapter went like this:
In a letter T/W Torrance announced SDV was coming soon. I think that was June 2010.
They suggested going to their web site ASAP and filling out a T/A request (which I promptly did.)
A tuning adapter arrived in the mail in a few months later. I had forgotten all about SDV and the T/A, by the time it arrived.
The new T/A sat in the box, as SDV did not go on line until the end of June 2011.

A note of warning:
If the home run drop from the pole to the house is not freshly installed you might experience problems, immediately after inserting the tuning adapter into your system.
In my case rodents had chewed the RG6 cable at the pole and diminished the signal strength or allowed noise. What ever the problem was with the signal. The T/A did not like it, and there were problems with stations not available and/or severe pixelization.

New guys/gals please include city and state in your profile.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #5634
tiv0noob

Quote:
Heh, I've had enough experience with TWC that I just assume the information is incorrect right off the bat. And I couldn't tell you the last time I'd set foot in a Best Buy, it's been years... I buy electronics online... but the guy said he sets up TWC/Tivo customers all the time. Hopefully it's him being clueless, and not my local TWC charging people for what's supposed to be free/included.

Appreciate all the feedback, everyone, thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #5635
tiv0noob

Quote:
A note of warning:
If the home run drop from the pole to the house is not freshly installed you might experience problems, immediately after inserting the tuning adapter into your system.
In my case rodents had chewed the RG6 cable at the pole and diminished the signal strength or allowed noise. What ever the problem was with the signal. The T/A did not like it, and there were problems with stations not available and/or severe pixelization.

New guys/gals please include city and state in your profile.
Good to know. I've got two drops to the house, installed in 2004 when new/built. Last time a tech was out, the signal was good to the house, but I've got some bad cables *in* the house (bad contractors/builder) that led to some juggling. Every room was wired, 13 runs with 8 currently connected. At some point, I probably need to run new cable (and would like to run ethernet as well), but I'm kind of dreading that project (finished lower level, so no floor access, and ceilings are all tray or vaulted, with blown-in insulation, so attic access doesn't sound like fun either.) I've got a tech coming out next week, I'll be asking some questions and evaluating the situation then.

Last edited by tiv0noob : 08-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #5636
MeInDallas

I'm in Dallas, TX and I have 4 cable cards and tuning adapters. Self install was a breeze with the new cable card hotline 1-866-606-5889. I pay $2 a month for each cable card and it comes with a tuning adapter for each one at no charge. I was able to go to my local office and pick them up.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #5637
Teeps

Quote:
Good to know. I've got two drops to the house, installed in 2004 when new/built. Last time a tech was out, the signal was good to the house, but I've got some bad cables *in* the house (bad contractors/builder) that led to some juggling. Every room was wired, 13 runs with 8 currently connected. At some point, I probably need to run new cable (and would like to run ethernet as well), but I'm kind of dreading that project (finished lower level, so no floor access, and ceilings are all tray or vaulted, with blown-in insulation, so attic access doesn't sound like fun either.) I've got a tech coming out next week, I'll be asking some questions and evaluating the situation then.
Have you heard of MoCa net working?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime..._Coax_Alliance
(side note: TiVo XL4 has built-in MoCa adapter)
(Disclaimer: I have not used MoCa.)

It piggy backs on the RG6 cable along with the rest of the cable co data.
It's supposed to be comparable to eithernet or maybe faster. And no extra wiring!

Only down side, IMO, is additional wall wart power supplies are needed for each MoCa adapter connection; except TiVo Moca.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #5638
wtherrell

Quote:
Have you heard of MoCa net working?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime..._Coax_Alliance
(side note: TiVo XL4 has built-in MoCa adapter)
(Disclaimer: I have not used MoCa.)

It piggy backs on the RG6 cable along with the rest of the cable co data.
It's supposed to be comparable to eithernet or maybe faster. And no extra wiring!

Only down side, IMO, is additional wall wart power supplies are needed for each MoCa adapter connection; except TiVo Moca.
I use a Moca Adaptor connected to a 5 port Ethernet switch. 2 Tivos, Blue Ray Player (Internet capable) and an Internet capable TV all plugged into the switch. Works great. I have another Tivo I tried to connect to MOCA but a TWC signal amplifier in the line prevents connection in spite of all attempts to bypass the signal around it. But it has enabled me to put off (for now, at least) running ethernet cables around thru walls, etc.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #5639
smoberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykhori View Post
Having trouble this past week with my series3 HD. i've had perfect reception till this recent bout. Now i've got pixelation and screen blanking issues. I'm calling TWC tomorrow. I'm in Holtville/Imperial Valley area, California. Tried antenna attenuators but no luck.
I am in the Dallas area, and have just this past week started experiencing picture stopping and stuttering and pixelization...I started a post on this a bit ago...now I just saw this....have you spoken to TWC about your issue....what did they tell you?
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #5640
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
I am in the Dallas area, and have just this past week started experiencing picture stopping and stuttering and pixelization...I started a post on this a bit ago...now I just saw this....have you spoken to TWC about your issue....what did they tell you?
I am noticing the same issue in Arlington on a Motorola cable box and it seems to be sporadic and only on the HD SDV channels. Might be a compression issue when a HD channel is trying to show fast moving scenes and the statmux on the channel is constant so there is no way for the channel to increase bits so it pixelates.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote